Berdych d. Verdasco 7/6(2) 6/1 7/6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Berdych d. Verdasco 7/6(2) 6/1 7/6(3)

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
so happy about this result

Stensland
09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
berdych-roddick next, right? could be a thriller...! but i'm afraid tomas will pee his pants in front of new york city at night.

Andre♥
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
berdych-roddick next, right? could be a thriller...! but i'm afraid tomas will pee his pants in front of new york city at night.

If he survived Madrid crowd while facing Nadal...

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM

hopefully not, but I'm afraid he will

l_mac
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I much prefer Verdasco to Berdych, but I think Roddick/Birdman will be a better match.

Well done, Berdych.

LeChuck
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Nothing against Nando, but I didn't want yet another match between Roddick and him. Hopefully Berdych will play considerably better in the next round against Roddick than he did during their Davis Cup rubber at Ostrava earlier this year.

justClaudia
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh Fer :awww:

Congratulations to the winner anyway.

LilyRoseAva
09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
yessss
congrats tomas

Mariana_lcf
09-01-2007, 09:31 PM
please take out roddick!

neenah
09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Congrats Tomas. Two players I like, but I'm glad Tomas got the win.

Deea
09-01-2007, 10:27 PM
:banana: Tomas :woohoo: Good job coming back in the first set when I thought all was lost :yeah: And then p'heeeew he was on cruise control, especially in the second set. The third set gave me a bit of a scare, especially when it came down to a TB but Tomas managed to keep his cool and won in straights. :cool: aaaaah the match against Andy will be interesting! :D Go Tomas!

Apemant
09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Any REAL Czechs around? How do you pronounce Berdych exactly? Sound by sound if possible...

DrJules
09-01-2007, 10:32 PM

The mentally frail and fragile Berdych will lose in the 4th round of a grand slam yet again. This time in straight sets.

Byrd
09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Not too sure if Berdman will get to play Rog next round if he does what I think he will do if he beats the duck...LoL...

Tom Paulman
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Any REAL Czechs around? How do you pronounce Berdych exactly? Sound by sound if possible...

It's really impossible to write, escpecially the sound of the "ch" at the end. I never heard any umpire pronounce the name right, though it's not as hard to say for foreigners as Ulihrach. I'll try to find a sound of if somewhere at the net and post a link.

EDIT: The way they say his name at the beginning of this video is very close to the way it should be pronouced: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hn0qkAtVBR8

Apemant
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
It's really impossible to write, escpecially the sound of the "ch" at the end. I never heard any umpire pronounce the name right, though it's not as hard to say for foreigners as Ulihrach. I'll try to find a sound of if somewhere at the net and post a link.

Is that ch any similar to 'chair'? I assume it's like that, only maybe a harder variant of that sound?

Would it be any similar to ber-ditch? Why the 'y' and not a normal 'i' there?

Bilbo
09-01-2007, 10:53 PM
lucky win for lady-looking like tomas

musefanatic
09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Well done Tomas, good win :)

Tom Paulman
09-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Is that ch any similar to 'chair'? I assume it's like that, only maybe a harder variant of that sound?

Would it be any similar to ber-ditch? Why the 'y' and not a normal 'i' there?

No, it doesn't sound like chair or champagne, I don't really know how to write that sound. Germans can say that (i.e. Madchen, ich...), just check the link I posted.

And his first name has also different pronunciation then you can usually hear.. it ends with "sh" (like Sharapova) and the "a" before that is pronounced longly :D

selyoink
09-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Verdasco getting broken when serving for the first set was never in doubt. Story of his career.

World Beater
09-02-2007, 02:04 AM
good result. Verdasco would have choked for the 3454354th time against roddick. Berdych has a real shot.

supertommyhaas
09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
great 4th round match, roddick-berdych. berdych playing some good tennis

WF4EVER
09-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Thank goodness. Give somebody else a chance to choke to Roddick.

Merton
09-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Good for Tomas, this was potentially a dangerous match for him but after Nando failed to win the 1st set he was no longer in danger. Now he is again in the second week, he has nothing to lose, just hope he does not get intimidated and just plays his game.

Action Jackson
09-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Never in doubt.

Langers
09-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Tomas!!!!! :yeah:

Adler
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
I wonder if he can win a match without winning 7 games each set to do so

Apemant
09-02-2007, 10:44 AM
No, it doesn't sound like chair or champagne, I don't really know how to write that sound. Germans can say that (i.e. Madchen, ich...), just check the link I posted.

And his first name has also different pronunciation then you can usually hear.. it ends with "sh" (like Sharapova) and the "a" before that is pronounced longly :D

Great, we're getting somewhere. Firstly, I'd like to think that I'm rather good at pronounciation, so don't give up on me so quickly. For example, I already knew how to pronounce his first name ('tomaash'), it's just the surname I didn't get.

So, it doesnt end in hard 'tch' (as in ditch). Actually I suspected as much, even though I often heard commentators pronounce it like this. So, it's actually like german 'ich'? Sort of a hard, nazal 'h'?

What of the 'y'? Is it a normal 'i' like in 'big' or it modifies the 'd' before it, somehow? Is the 'd' the same, normal 'd' like in 'dog', or some variant?

Tom Paulman
09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Great, we're getting somewhere. Firstly, I'd like to think that I'm rather good at pronounciation, so don't give up on me so quickly. For example, I already knew how to pronounce his first name ('tomaash'), it's just the surname I didn't get.

So, it doesnt end in hard 'tch' (as in ditch). Actually I suspected as much, even though I often heard commentators pronounce it like this. So, it's actually like german 'ich'? Sort of a hard, nazal 'h'?

What of the 'y'? Is it a normal 'i' like in 'big' or it modifies the 'd' before it, somehow? Is the 'd' the same, normal 'd' like in 'dog', or some variant?

Yeah, the "y" sounds the same like if you say "big", the "d" is just a normal "d" :cool: The only mistakes the commentators and umpires make is the "ch" at the end and the "e", which sounds like "pen" or "set" (they often don't pronounce it at all and make it sound like "bird").

Apemant
09-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the "y" sounds the same like if you say "big", the "d" is just a normal "d" :cool: The only mistakes the commentators and umpires make is the "ch" at the end and the "e", which sounds like "pen" or "set" (they often don't pronounce it at all and make it sound like "bird").

Fergie
09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Good job Tomas :yeah: