It's a pitty we will have to say an empty stadium again [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's a pitty we will have to say an empty stadium again

mr_burns
09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
when Davydenkov played against kiefer nearly nobody was in the stadium and now he is again the 1 match up. I hate empty stadiums, because it seems like nobody is interested in tennis at the open.. But that's the wrong impression

The Grandstand will be full again and Court 11 also. Sad that fans won't get the chance to see Mirza or Haas who pull a much bigger croud

On the other site he is the 4th seed.

what do you thing? What is the key factor when you make the order of lay. The way a players is liked by the crowd or his ranking?

BTW, it was nice that they sent Henman to L Armstrong twice, although he isn'*t seeded...Just a nice court to retire

stebs
09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
With Davydenko I guess they are showing him respect because he is #4, has been top 10 for a long time now and reahed the SF's last year.

On the whole though, the crowd a player draws is the important thing and if Davydenko can't do it then he won't be on these courts for long and it seems that most of the people who go to watch these matches would rather see an actor than a tennis player.

As for Henman, he is one of the players the Americans like and his Britishness is charming to them or at least that's what I've read. He was not put on that court ONLY because he was retiring but because he is a popular guy amongst American tennis fans as well.

Voo de Mar
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Kiwi had bad luck that didn't play against Safin.

Stensland
09-01-2007, 02:07 PM
normally davydenko doesn't play on center courts, thank god.

Neely
09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Regarding Kiefer vs Davydenko you would have to be thankful that almost nobody saw this match or else some people who are not primarly interested in tennis would rather go back watching a different sport pretty soon if they thought every tennis match would resemble somewhat like this one :lol:

Jelena_78
09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
when Davydenkov played against kiefer nearly nobody was in the stadium and now he is again the 1 match up. I hate empty stadiums, because it seems like nobody is interested in tennis at the open.. But that's the wrong impression

The Grandstand will be full again and Court 11 also. Sad that fans won't get the chance to see Mirza or Haas who pull a much bigger croud

what do you thing? What is the key factor when you make the order of lay. The way a players is liked by the crowd or his ranking?

BTW, it was nice that they sent Henman to L Armstrong twice, although he isn'*t seeded...Just a nice court to retire

I don't think the fact that he plays the first match is that important for how many people will be there...
Nole and Radek were playing first on Louis Amstrong yesterday,too,and it was packed with crowd!

Lee
09-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Regarding Kiefer vs Davydenko you would have to be thankful that almost nobody saw this match or else some people who are not primarly interested in tennis would rather go back watching a different sport pretty soon if they thought every tennis match would resemble somewhat like this one :lol:

May be that's the reason less and less people watch tennis in US. All they saw on TV were those 6-0 6-1 demolition by Sharapova, Williams, Henin, etc and 6-1 6-2 6-3 demolition by Federer and Nadal. :shrug:

MatchFederer
09-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Federer essentially demolished Capdeville t'other day but it was 6-1 6-FOUR 6-FOUR. Also, it was absolute quality... the tennis was superb.

Neely
09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Federer essentially demolished Capdeville t'other day but it was 6-1 6-FOUR 6-FOUR. Also, it was absolute quality... the tennis was superb.
Exactly, and this wasn't at all the case in the Davydenko vs Kiefer match. Not really Davydenko's fault, Kiefer was truely pathetic, hardly any close games, no good fighting attitude, many unforced errors and Davydenko didn't need to show more. It was almost like a three set tank of Kiefer it seemed. That's what I meant.

star
09-01-2007, 03:51 PM

I know it's just a typo, but "order of lay" had me :haha:

Sjengster
09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
As a married man it makes sense that Kolya is first up in the order of lay.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
The USO has been posting record crowds this week and yet Davydenko still can't attract any of them to go watch one of his boring matches. :lol:

krystlel
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
How full was the stadium in Davydenko's match against Almagro?

stebs
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
The USO has been posting record crowds this week and yet Davydenko still can't attract any of them to go watch one of his boring matches. :lol:

As I said, most of the people who go to watch these matches would rather see an actor than a tennis player.

If you want to watch pure and clean ball striking off both wings then Davydenko in full flow is the best at that on tour by a long way. His on court character is reserved to the point where even if you are looking for personality you find none but if it's tennis you want he plays it wonderfully at times.