Timewaster! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Timewaster!

The Pro
09-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I've been thinking about this after the Djokovic / Stepanek match. Both Nadal and Djokovic have been criticised for taking time between points, but to be honest they do it in rather different ways.

Nadal gets called out for taking a long time between points. But the time he takes is not misleading. Players know when he is ready to serve. He walks around a bit, does his towellng, then comes forward.

Djokovic however, is very misleading. He bounes the ball over and over again and it wears down his opponent's concentration. I don't know if this is his intention, but on big points most players will be a little jittery on the return of serve, and prolonging that is advantageous.

So who then, in your opinion, is the worse / most irritating / most guilty of gamesmanship timewaster?

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 09:58 AM
You need Massu to make the poll complete.

The Pro
09-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Erk, I can't edit it. I really should have picked an 'Other' option.

If people feel someone else then they can certainly say who and why.

scoobs
09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I think Djokovic's is more of an advantage - if you notice his service, after the ball bouncing is done, the rest of the action is pretty quick. I wonder sometimes if he mesmerises his opponents with all the bouncing and leaves them unprepared for the actual serve because they've become distracted :)

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Commentators just count the ball bounces for fun now.

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
what's the max he has done?

i guess he has done 25 for sure

Doggy
09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
his ball bouncing reminds me of sharapova, but sharapova never varies her bounces. she bounces it like 4-6 times. but holla at nole's balls :hug:

aussie_fan
09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Djokovic, shouldn't be allowed to bounce the ball that many times, got to affect other people's concentration.

Nathaliia
09-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Both are annoying, but really Massu is gretest of them IMO, when I look at scoreboard I wait 3 minutes for a point to appear and later someone who watches tells me it wasn't such a long rally just for example second serve and return netted.

Sean.J.S.
09-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Mary Pierce is the worst. :lol: But of the males, I say Nole is more annoying with 92987098234908123 bounces of the ball before every serve. :rolleyes:

User id 7816
09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd think both have their 'nice' little ways of trying to deconcentrate the opponent with those things, but saying which is worse - I think it depends on the other player,maybe Rafa's wandering around influences some players worse than 'Djoke's twenty' (bounces) and for others its vice versa. Maybe some get even more concentrated on the return after a couple of 20b cause they manage to adjust their concentration.:confused:

The Pro
09-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Pierce is so funny. Fixes left bang, fixes right bang, squints, bounces ball, squints, bounces ball again... for some reason it's really relaxing to watch her play :lol:

Sean.J.S.
09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Pierce is so funny. Fixes left bang, fixes right bang, squints, bounces ball, squints, bounces ball again... for some reason it's really relaxing to watch her play :lol:

Yes, and fixes her hair all the time as well...and then she rolls forward to start her motion and it seems like it takes about 20 seconds for her just to do that (the roll). :lol:

Fed Express
09-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Definately Nadal. Djokovic only bounces so much in tight situations. Nadal takes SO long all the time.

stebs
09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Well they are both irritating on serve in different ways.

I suppose if you were playing against them then Djokovic would be the one which breaks your concentration more because to stay in the focused ready state of mind for that long is near impossible. When Nadal starts his service routine you know how long it's going to take and when to prepare.

Nadal is more irritating when he receives with the hand up and making players stop their motion and start again whenever a big point comes along and it's all within the rules but this is a little worse as far as gamesmanship goes because although Djoko's ball bouncing has an adverse effect on opponenets sometimes I feel he does it for himself, not for the opponent. Nadal with the raised hand is purposeful to break rythm.

Sunset of Age
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd say Djoko is more distracting with his ballbouncing antics, as he doesn't do that every time, so, the opponent doesn't know what to expect. Rafa, on the other hand, he has this same ritual over-and-over again (and however irritating it may be, I honestly don't think he's distracting anyone anymore - everybody knows by know! :)).

So, in terms of gamesmanship, I think Djoko is worse.
Noone beats Massu for this matter, though.

stebs
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Noone beats Massu for this matter, though.

Massu could play Mirka and take half an hour to hold serve.

User id 7816
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
although Djoko's ball bouncing has an adverse effect on opponenets sometimes I feel he does it for himself, not for the opponent.

I'd like to believe thats the case, how can we be sure he does not do it for himself, even though its obvious it could hypnotize the opponent? But I guess considering Djoke's timeouts one gets suspect about it.

my0118
09-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Definately Nadal. Djokovic only bounces so much in tight situations. Nadal takes SO long all the time.

If it's the case, it's worse because that means Djokovic certainly bounces the ball many times to distract his opponent while Nadal's taking time is just his annoying habit.

Beat
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
If it's the case, it's worse because that means Djokovic certainly bounces the ball many times to distract his opponent while Nadal's taking time is just his annoying habit.
that's what i thought. making it irregular is probably more irritating for the opponent.

anyway: i can't make my mind up! help!

CooCooCachoo
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Nadal :o

At least Djoko's bouncing is tennis related. The asspicking isn't.

Neely
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Djokovic's time wasting is generally rather underrated IMO because he at least is doing something which seems as if he could serve every second. The really misleading thing in Djokovic's routine is that the opponent has to wait sometimes only 8 bounces and sometimes 18 or 20. So he has to be concentrated a lot of longer when returning because he doesn't know exactly when Nole finally tosses and when to really pay attention. So a much longer plot line for the receiver.

If Nadal takes his (long) time before even bouncing the ball it appears to be so much more annoying and longer because he isn't ready yet and still handling the towel or selecting the balls or whatever.

Adler
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
what's the max he has done? i guess he has done 25 for sure
26 during last year's French Open

DrJules
09-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Djokovic's time wasting is generally rather underrated IMO because he at least is doing something which seems as if he could serve every second. The really misleading thing in Djokovic's routine is that the opponent has to wait sometimes only 8 bounces and sometimes 18 or 20. So he has to be concentrated a lot of longer when returning because he doesn't know exactly when Nole finally tosses and when to really pay attention. So a much longer plot line for the receiver.

If Nadal takes his (long) time before even bouncing the ball it appears to be so much more annoying and longer because he isn't ready yet and still handling the towel or selecting the balls or whatever.

Djokovic is not considered the best exponent of mind games and mental toughness in tennis for no reason.

Nadal is just trying to slow things down all the time.

JustDoIt
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Both.

MatchFederer
09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Nadal is the bigger time waster, he takes longer between points... there is no disputing this I believe although I suppose I SHOULD take the effort to time the gaps between points. All I know is I just about have time to type point by point updates with Djokovic, with Nadal I would have oodles of time to spare I am sure. Another example is.. checking posts on MTF, I have time with Nadal but am more pushed to read and then catch the next point with Nole.

Djokovic perhaps uses more gamesmanship.

Adler
09-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice guys. So young, so smart, so vicious ;)

fmolinari2005
09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
But the real question is: who cares?! Nobody. And why?! Because we are talking about two guys that are threating Roger's domain over tennis. When you hear many sports commentators (like Big Balls No Brains Wilanders) going out and saying that players should use gamesmanship against Federer, you know what we are dealing with. So, as long Djoko and Nadal are number 3 and 2 in the world, they can do whatever they want ...

Want an example?! Remember when Hewitt was number one, and everybody was complaining about his "come ons". Now that he is not number one, people are urging him to get back to his old self.

Mateya
09-01-2007, 03:01 PM
The Djoke with his endless ballbouncing :mad: which makes you return worse because you never know when he is going to serve already and brakes your rythm

I will serve now:..............................oh I need just a few more, please..............two more times..................here we go................................................ BUM :confused:

:retard:

Rafa is better - does his thing (whatever it is :rolleyes: ), then goes to the baseline and nicely serves :)

NikolaBGD
09-01-2007, 03:18 PM
You must be very boring when you talk about this...

Who cares about time...as long as Rafa and Nole play top tennis that don't bother me...

p.s I am very boring when I read this thread;)

Fee
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Gah... I was introduced to Nole in Cincinnati and the ball bouncing came up in the conversation, but I can't remember exactly what he said, argh. I think it was something about concentration. If he bounces the ball a lot it's because he's still deciding where to serve it, or he's not settled down or something like that. I'm sure most of the tour players have figured out by now to just let him bounce and then get ready when he actually begins to bring his racquet back. There is probably plenty of time at that point.

I think Nadal is more annoying just because of the ass picking. That's just kind of icky. The socks and stuff doesn't bother me.

Bremen
09-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I really found this hard...but in the end went with Nadal who is just overall a more annoying person.

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 05:59 PM
p.s I am very boring when I read this thread;)

you are boring most of the time, pal

RonE
09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
All Djoko does is bounce the ball but it is a fluid motion coupled with a service motion and immediately the point starts.

Nadal on the other hand, picks his arse, bounces one or two times, adjusts his socks, picks his arse again..... waiting for him to hit the bloody serve is like having your teeth pulled out. And then he also delays and disrupts the server's rythm purposely, something Djokovic doesn't do (at least not as often).

Ma. Estefania
09-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Just don't know why so many people complain about Rafa's ass-picking. :o

The guy at least has something to grab, there are other poor ones that are flat :shrug:

Fedever
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow thats a tough one. I can't decide.