USA Network US Open coverage - so far so good [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USA Network US Open coverage - so far so good

Fedever
09-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I just thought I would compliment USA on their coverage, since we all complain loudly about most television coverage most of the time, and with good reason!

I have been really happy with the USA Network coverage so far. They start coverage here on the west coast at 8am and it is supposed to end at 2pm and then pick up again at 4pm – 8pm PT, but they just keep going ALL DAY without interruption until the end of the last match of the night. What a concept!

And they have also been showing matches that for the most part I thnk most of us want to see, not JUST AMERICANS at the expense of ALL other matches. And they show them from start to finish, another novel idea!

They actually show Roger Federer. Who?:rolleyes: He is only the #1 player in the world not to mention the greatest of all time, but usually I don’t even get to see him much until the 2nd week of a slam if I am lucky.

Just thought I would say something positive before tomorrow’s coverage starts on CBS and gets completely destroyed!!!!

I hope USA keeps up the great coverage. I wish they had rights to all of the US open!

El Legenda
09-01-2007, 07:37 AM
CBS
http://www.sportsline.com/cbssports/...es/page/tennis

Sunday, August 26
12:00-1:30 p.m. ET Arthur Ashe Kid's Day presented by Hess
1:30-2:00 p.m. ET U.S. Open preview

Saturday, September 1
11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. ET M/W R32 (live)

Sunday, September 2
11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. ET M R32/W R16 (live)

Monday, September 3
11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. ET M/W R16 (live)

Friday, September 7
12:30-6:00 p.m. ET M doubles final/W SF (live)

Saturday, September 8
12:00-6:00 p.m. ET M SF (live)
8:00-10:00 p.m. ET W Final (live)

Sunday, September 9
4:00-7:00 p.m. ET M final (live)

njnetswill
09-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Their coverage of matches is great. They move around between the different scores and give us a look at many different players.

My only problem is the commentating. Besides JMac, Courier and Austin(to some degree) no one seems to know crap about pro tennis. Ted Robinson :retard:

Fedever
09-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I will take great match coverage over commentating any time. I guess we can't have everything! But at least they have PMac.:wavey:

shrudy
09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
They kept it going all day Friday, but not earlier on in the week. For instance Isner's first match was not broadcast to completion. Their coverage is ok.

jcadam2003
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, CBS and NBC's coverage of grand slams can be frustrating to say the least....

I am lucky to have Sky Sports. For Wimbledon and the US Open as well as all the Masters Series tournaments the broadcast is interactive. For the US Open you have 6 different courts to chose from and the broadcast lasts all day until the last match is completed late at night! So you decide which match you want to watch! You get to watch more tennis with Sky than you do if you were at the tournament!

Johnny Groove
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
USA :worship:

Scotso
09-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I was very pleased the showed nearly the entire Djokovic match, which was undoubtedly the best match of the day. They did this even though there was an American playing on Ashe.

Pigpen Stinks
09-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Thumbs up to USA. The only thing I've been disappointed with is the DirecTV package for the first week would stop showing matches in the late afternoon. Would have loved to have watched Henman-Tsonga right from the start. There were a bunch of other good late afternoon matches on the various courts that they bailed on. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

The Freak
09-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, thanks USA. Even CBS is doing pretty good today. :worship:

Regenbogen
09-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised by the coverage so far :D

Maxpowers
09-01-2007, 08:40 PM
I was impressed with USA. CBS on the other hand is doing a terrible job right now. Where is the Federer vs Isner match that has been hyped for so long? Why are they showing Donald Young?

Fedever
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I was impressed with USA. CBS on the other hand is doing a terrible job right now. Where is the Federer vs Isner match that has been hyped for so long? Why are they showing Donald Young?

Yeah, I was about to lose my mind! They showed the Young match for most of the coverage after Sharapova! Did not show much of the Roddick match and then continued to show the Young match during almost the whole 1st set of Federer/Isner! Thankfully the Young match did not go to a 5th set because we probably would of barely seen any of the Federer/Isner match!!

Is it just me or do most people want to see Young/Lopez over Roddick and/or Federer/Isner? CBS sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparko1030
09-01-2007, 11:28 PM
In the 3 years I've been a tennis fan, I've realized that the coverage on USA is FAR superior to anything on ESPN2-and that includes most of the announcers/commentators. Although it seems in past years USA would more often have tennis without a 2 hour break, still, its very good coverage IMO. :yeah:

Clara Bow
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Why are they showing Donald Young?

Is it just me or do most people want to see Young/Lopez over Roddick and/or Federer/Isner? CBS sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young is a young player that was in a tight match. where he had the possibility of moving to the fourth round of a grand slam. That is interesting to some people

Let's see- in terms of Young versus Lopez over the Roddick match. I actually would like to see a tightly contested match- which the Young/Lopez match was- versus the Roddick blowout. Tight contest always beats out a one-sided affair in my mind. I would hate it if they just showed big names all the time- regardless of whether or not a more even match was going on. And they did show the Feds match in time for the tiebreak.

I've realized that the coverage on USA is FAR superior to anything on ESPN2-and that includes most of the announcers/commentators.
Can't agree with you about the commentators. I can't stand Al and Ted with USA- and Tracey Austin. I prefer Chris and Darren.

World Beater
09-02-2007, 03:17 AM
if you get direct TV, USA also has separate streams for armstrong, grandstand, court 11, court 13.

really fantastic with limited commercial breaks. The international feed is used for these courts.

if they would only do that for the night session, it would be even better. But no complainst otherwise.

mangoes
09-02-2007, 03:44 AM
:yeah: :yeah: USA Network. They really are the best Tennis Grand Slam network. The only negative is Ted Robinson:o