El Gordo Calleri feasts on Potato Hewitt, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

El Gordo Calleri feasts on Potato Hewitt, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

tennisgal_001
09-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Upset of the tournament so far. So much for the Djokovic/Hewitt 4th round!

Sjengster
09-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Well, that was unexpected.

Fee
09-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Always in doubt. ;)

Seriously, that is an awesome win for Calleri, I was expecting Hewitt to make a lot of noise in that draw.

Voo de Mar
09-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Calleri finally shows some balls after mega chokes against Koubek and Blake + choke against Kohlschreiber. Congrats to him.

Beforehand
Djokovic won't mind it being Monaco or Calleri if he gets through del Potro.

Sjengster
Mods, if you merge threads, please keep my title! I had it in mind since the end of the third set, though I certainly wasn't presuming it to be a done deal.

Mariana_lcf
:woohoo: :yippee: thanx for takin out hewitt! haha some good points here, well done calleri! i should've bet on u

El Legenda
09-01-2007, 04:24 AM
vamos Calleri :) saw him choke mp on serve in cincy, missed a overhead, his coach almost started to cry :lol:

*Viva Chile*
Gordo!!!!! :banana:
That was amazing :eek: :yeah:
THis is exactly the type of tennnis that I love (if Gonzo could remember to play like this :sad: )

Hewitt :haha:

sawan66278
:eek: :eek: With this shocking loss, it looks like Darth Cheater's match today might be the Rostango/Becker match from 1989...let's pray not.

What happened to Lleyton?

jitterbug
.. and this is why I stink at pick'em contests :sad:

guga2120
Lleyton, wtf? Novak into the finals.

gjalex
09-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Hewitt is just the worst, thank god my betfair account was suspended when I wanted to bet on him to win the title.

krystlel
09-01-2007, 04:25 AM
That was a ridiculously brilliant display of power tennis from Calleri. I feel sorry for those that didn't get to watch it. He completely hit Hewitt off the court smacking crazy winners off everywhere. The sound that was coming off Calleri's racquet was just :eek:. It was breathtaking to watch.

+alonso
09-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Such an awesome hitting by Agustín, He just was too good today, everything worked perfect for him. 65 winners to 30 something UEs! :yeah:

hra87
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't watch the match, what happened?

I think all the djokovic tough draw whiners can shut up now. First ancic, now hewitt.

Tomy
Gordooo, you stroke the ball as never before! I mean, I've seen Calleri on maaaany matches, but he really owned Hewitt with a terrible number of winners!!!!!!!

justClaudia
:woohoo:

not expected! Great win, congrats Agustin. The crowd was going crazy out there, it looked like a Davis Cup match. :lol:

Merton
09-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Gordo :eek: I wish I saw this match, I guess Hewitt was blown off the court.

Sjengster
That was a ridiculously brilliant display of power tennis from Calleri. I feel sorry for those that didn't get to watch it. He completely hit Hewitt off the court smacking crazy winners off everywhere. The sound that was coming off Calleri's racquet was just :eek:.

I did manage to see a couple of games before they went to the Nadal match and he was playing well, especially when he broke back to 4-5 in the first even though he went on to lose his serve afterwards. Let's not forget the demolition job he did on Agassi in Miami in 2004 ending the latter's 20-match winning streak there, I thought Hewitt's defence would make this a nightmare match-up for him but he obviously came up with the goods.

WF4EVER
Damn, Calleri!

I guess the guy who choked away that match in New Haven to Blake went back to Argentina and the guy who slaughtered Agassi in Miami a couple of years ago came to New York.

Amazing.

Edit: Totally agree, Sjengster. Hadn't read your post before I wrote mine.

NYCtennisfan
My brother was at the match and said that it was El Gordo at his best playing huge power tennis on every point. Hewitt started off the match playing really well but it didn't discourage Augustin.

MCL
09-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Good for Calleri :yeah:

I wish I could have seen it though. I really thought Hewitt would win this one and go far in the draw.

barbadosan
09-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Hewitt started out as if this would be a fairly routine match win for him.. was up 4-1 in the first set in quick time... but from there, even though he DID hold on to win the first set, he was battling to stay in contention

Chaz_Cramer
can't believe it...

Kolya
:haha: :haha:

Yeah! Hewitt is a contender for the US Open.

MisterQ
09-01-2007, 04:30 AM
That was a ridiculously brilliant display of power tennis from Calleri. I feel sorry for those that didn't get to watch it. He completely hit Hewitt off the court smacking crazy winners off everywhere. The sound that was coming off Calleri's racquet was just :eek:. It was breathtaking to watch.

I remember when Calleri did this to Agassi a few years ago --- it was brilliant, and there was nothing Andre could do. Scary when a player like this gets hot. :scared:

Feel bad for Hewitt, though. :sad:

justClaudia
09-01-2007, 04:30 AM
I haven't seen Agustin playing like this in a while. And that last set, focused, motivated, in control, that racket was on fire. Amazing.

TankingTheSet
09-01-2007, 04:31 AM
A better title would have been Calleri destroys Hewitt or something like that.

Calleri never had any trouble getting to Hewitt's medium-paced groundstrokes and just blasted them away for winners most of the time. Looks like the draw might open up too for Agustin.

Dragula.mp3
09-01-2007, 04:32 AM
It's a shame Calleri can't play like this 7 matches in a row :(. Hewitt wasn't playing bad, it was a solo game.

Merton
Lleyton, wtf? Novak into the finals.

On the contrary, this Calleri is very dangerous for Nole but of course he is capable of losing against Monaco next round.

ReturnWinner
Calleri just overpowered Hewitt, hitting winners and forcing errors of almost all possible ways , played in a similar level as against Ferrero in 2003 Davis Cup and Agassi in 2004 Miami, this is the worst

demolition Hewitt got in my opinion ,behind Federer gave him in that 2004 final of the this same tournament

:worship:
thank god he did not turn into Cagonlleri mode too :D

darnyelb
09-01-2007, 04:33 AM
wow, totally unexpected for me. I always did like Calleri ever since he played Sampras at Wimbledon.

Sucks for Hewitt since he's been playing great this summer. Almost feels like a waste.

fmolinari2005
09-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Amazing tennis! Caleri played the best 3 sets (technically speaking) of the tournament. It seems that El Gordo found the Potato yummy! ;) :D

gjalex
09-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Strange how a guy like calleri, nearly 31 can step it up like that so significantly.

ReturnWinner
09-01-2007, 04:34 AM
he plays on fire of this way many times but rarely during a long lapse or if he does it is just for one set, and sometimes he can not put a ball in,if he can of this way always he should be fighting Federer for the number one :lol:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2007, 04:35 AM
One in a million performance from Calleri. Nothing Hewitt could do, but he's so gonna lose next round. :lol:

Voo de Mar
09-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Poor CmonAussie has written so many things about Hewitt chances this year :(

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:36 AM
One in a million performance from Calleri. Nothing Hewitt could do, but he's so gonna lose next round. :lol:

Of course he is! Normally a Calleri win over Hewitt would please me greatly, but not when I was looking forward to Hewitt eliminating Djokovic. :(

Julio1974
Simply amazing!! Calleri squashed him. I was just praying in the last game: "please God don't let him choke again pease".
Gracias gordo !!!!

Kolya

:haha:

ReturnWinner
09-01-2007, 04:37 AM
he played Sampras in the 2000 Usopen not in Wimbledon and put a hell of fight losing 76 76 63 , there was just a break for serve ih the whole match, Sampras was saved by his incredible serve and experience
wow, totally unexpected for me. I always did like Calleri ever since he played Sampras at Wimbledon.

Sucks for Hewitt since he's been playing great this summer. Almost feels like a waste.

Rumour
09-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Another shocking result based on Calleri's recent stumbles at the finish line and Hewitt's good form :eek: Well done to Augustin though, showing that some of the few remaining players older than I am can still play top level tennis :) Really wish these stupid sports channels up here had shown this, hopefully there will be a replay later on...

selyoink
09-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Wow. I can't believe this result.

Sounds like Hewitt just ran into a guy on fire and couldn't do anything about it.

Beforehand
09-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Calleri to lose to Juan "Fourth Best Player of 2007" Monaco.

fmolinari2005
09-01-2007, 04:42 AM

I am with you. Actually, he will play Monaco, so he might win another one. But I see only two possibilities: either Calleri will come back to earth soon, or, if he keeps playing this way, he will reach finals! :) :) :)

Btw: gotta love this article about Hewitt:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22300034-12428,00.html

Headlines: TONY Roche is preparing an unpleasant surprise for his former protege Roger Federer - a more aggressive Lleyton Hewitt.

Yeah! Hewitt was aggressively waiting for Calleri's winners today.

Havok
09-01-2007, 04:43 AM
You've got to be kidding me :o. Never would I have picked Calleri over Hewitt. After all that talk of him playing well, blah blah blah quarters at Montreal, semis at Cincy lsing an extremely tight match vs Federer, then gets blasted in the 2R of the USO! I love it :haha:.

Well done Calleri, but you won't make it past the 4r anyways.:)

twisturhead
09-01-2007, 04:44 AM
bad luck for hewitt

ChinoRios4Ever
09-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Awesome Gordo, probably his best match in his carrer with the win over JCF on DC in 2003 :eek::eek::eek:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-01-2007, 04:49 AM

:devil:

poor CMon Aussie :o

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2007, 04:57 AM
This looks to me exactly like Hewitt vs Gonzalez in the AO. Hewitt just can't compete with a guy hitting flat and on fire anymore.

Merton
09-01-2007, 05:05 AM
This looks to me exactly like Hewitt vs Gonzalez in the AO. Hewitt just can't compete with a guy hitting flat and on fire anymore.

I wish I saw the match but I doubt that Hewitt played poorly, he was just blown off. I am not sure about the anymore part, even in 2002 Hewitt lost matches against aggressive hitters. But certainly he requires the intensity he had back then to better compete with them.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2007, 05:09 AM
I wish I saw the match but I doubt that Hewitt played poorly, he was just blown off. I am not sure about the anymore part, even in 2002 Hewitt lost matches against aggressive hitters. But certainly he requires the intensity he had back then to better compete with them.

Hewitt couldn't be aggressive. Part of it because he didn't want to, part because Calleri blown him off, like Gonzalez, but even at his best his game can't control these kinds of players anymore.

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2007, 05:13 AM

Seems that I wasn't the only one who thought the same, that match came to my mind watching the one of today.

Rumour
09-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Simply amazing!! Calleri squashed him.
To be more precise, Calleri mashed the Potato :p

Doggy
09-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Damn it Lleyton!! All that sex with Bec drained you of your testosterone. Can't you hold your animal urges until after you win the match? RAWRRRR!!!

Adler
09-01-2007, 06:27 AM
I can't believe it

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Calleri was on fire and this performance was equal to the routing of Agassi in Miami at worst.

High percentage of good serves, volleyed well and Hewitt was like the child and Calleri was like the father putting him in his place and Hewitt I think deep down expected Calleri to come off the high and start missing and then take advantage of that.

The unpredictable Gordo has made the 3rd round of a Slam for only the 2nd time.

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 06:28 AM
I can't believe it

It is what is known as a good old fashioned arse kicking.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Calleri was on fire and this performance was equal to the routing of Agassi in Miami at worst.

High percentage of good serves, volleyed well and Hewitt was like the child and Calleri was like the father putting him in his place and Hewitt I think deep down expected Calleri to come off the high and start missing and then take advantage of that.

The unpredictable Gordo has made the 3rd round of a Slam for only the 2nd time.

I won our bet! 8 games or more. :lol:

bad gambler
09-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Very impressive from Calleri, just blew Hewitt off the court with 60+ winners

gillian
09-01-2007, 06:38 AM
WTF? How did this happen?

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 06:39 AM
I won our bet! 8 games or more. :lol:

Yes, you did it and I am glad you won that bet. I didn't expect that from Calleri, though in the Aussie press before the match, he did say he was confident about his chances before the match and I thought confident about a choke.

The Aussie commentators were stunned as well and the fact that Hewitt went 99.999% crosscourt with the backhand was like an alcoholic been stuck in a brewery for Calleri and he feasted on it.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Yes, you did it and I am glad you won that bet. I didn't expect that from Calleri, though in the Aussie press before the match, he did say he was confident about his chances before the match and I thought confident about a choke.

The Aussie commentators were stunned as well and the fact that Hewitt went 99.999% crosscourt with the backhand was like an alcoholic been stuck in a brewery for Calleri and he feasted on it.

I'm glad too. ;)

Nobody expected it. When he was up a break in the second I was sure he'd handle it back and then lose in straights. :lol:

leng jai
09-01-2007, 06:43 AM

Did they harp on about Hewitt's courage to go for his shots after his once in a blue moon backhand DTLs?

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Did they harp on about Hewitt's courage to go for his shots after his once in a blue moon backhand DTLs?

Eagle wasn't too bad, and Masur was a bit cheerleaderish. As for his backhand DTL, Hewitt hit 2 of them in the match and Calleri hit about 10 in one game.

This match showed what Calleri is capable of, and he was even hitting some slice backhands and taking the pace off shots at times until he got a short one and then belted the rubbish.

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm glad too. ;)

Nobody expected it. When he was up a break in the second I was sure he'd handle it back and then lose in straights. :lol:

I was watching and thought OK, he is going for it and the old rule of it's not a break of serve unless it has been held onto and I expected the same thing.

Thought well lets see Gordo will smack some shoulder high backhand winners DTL and then he'd belt the others into New Jersey.

dylan24
09-01-2007, 07:50 AM
f u calleri
thanks for ending my 1 day at the us open on a sour note

leng jai
09-01-2007, 08:14 AM
f u calleri
thanks for ending my 1 day at the us open on a sour note

:retard:

Sean.J.S.
09-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Calleri played very well...he just hit so many winners! :eek:

Lleyton wasn't being aggressive enough and was hitting crosscourt too often, and never down the line. :(

Sofonda Cox
09-01-2007, 08:20 AM
This almost makes up for Henmans loss :banana:

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 08:35 AM
:speakles:

what a great news to wake up

Gordo :worship:

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 08:37 AM
:speakles:

what a great news to wake up

Gordo :worship:

I might have to watch this on tape again if I am pissed off.:)

Horatio Caine
09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Wasn't expecting this at all! :eek:

Muy muy bien hecho Gordo! :bigclap:

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...8-1702,00.html

Shattered Hewitt sent packing

From correspondents in New York, United States
September 01, 2007 01:43pm
Article from: FOX SPORTS

FREE-swinging Argentine Agustin Calleri smacked winners from all parts of the court to send Lleyton Hewitt crashing out of the US Open today.

Australia's 2001 champion went down 4-6 6-4 6-4 6-2 in two hours and 42 minutes to make his earliest exit from the New York grand slam event.

Calleri, the world No.58 who had won just three matches in six previous visits to Flushing Meadows, played the match of his life, striking an amazing 65 clean winners to leave Hewitt shell-shocked.

Hewitt, 26, had reached the quarter-finals or better at the Open for the past seven years, a feat only ever matched by all-time greats Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl.

But apart from the first set, he was unable to combat the cavalier tactics of Calleri, who was determined to attack at every opportunity.

"If I hit the ball anywhere half in the middle of the court, dropped it short, he was all over it,'' Hewitt said.

"I didn't quite play as well as I would have liked early in that second set. That gave him an opportunity to get back in the match.

"Early in the second set, I didn't quite stamp my authority on the match after I won the first set.

"I could have put a little bit more pressure on him early in the second. Then he started to play better tennis from then on.

"He was hitting winners from everywhere in the end.''

There was no sign of what was to come when Hewitt made a lightning start to the match, breaking Calleri's first service game to grab a 2-0 lead, and looked to be in total control of the set at 5-2 up.

While untroubled on his own serve, Calleri had to fend off further break points in his second and third service games just to stay in touch.

Out of the blue, though, Hewitt coughed up a double-fault, missed a backhand and then Calleri unleashed a stinging backhand return winner to break back to bring the set back on level terms.

In total, Hewitt was able to convert just one of nine break-point chances and squandered four set points before Calleri netted a forehand return to finally submit after 52 minutes.

Hewitt made a terrible start to the second set, dropping his first service game to love and losing 11 straight points to fall behind 3-1.

He showed signature grit to save another break point to avoid going down 4-1 before levelling at 3-3 when Calleri dumped another forehand into the net on break point.

But the Argentine continued hitting out come what may, and his brazen play reaped rewards when he broke Hewitt again with a sizzling forehand winner to surge ahead 5-4.

Calleri clinched the set in 38 minutes when Hewitt sent a forehand long.

All up, Calleri had mixed 31 clean winners with 27 unforced errors to have the match all tied up.

The pattern continued in the third set with the free-swinging South American blazing his away to an early break and then peeling off five straight winners from love-40 down to hold for 2-0.

And although Hewitt was able to stave off three further break points in the third game, he was unable to make any inroads on Calleri's serve and found himself down two sets to one after two hours and 11 minutes.

Hewitt has made a career out of fighting his way out of holes, but not this time as Calleri continued the assault in the fourth set.

He broke Hewitt twice more and, fittingly, nailed his 20th backhand winner down the line on match point to complete his stunning upset.

Allez
09-01-2007, 08:50 AM
oh no!

freeandlonely
09-01-2007, 08:55 AM
And he said there are very few people can win slams including himself.

gjalex
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
And he said there are very few people can win slams including himself.

If noone puts on a freak performance like today and he doesn't play Federer, sure he has a chance. I will put a small bet on him at the Australian Open because I bet the odds will be upto 200 to 1 or something.

Julio
09-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Amazing. I knew that Calleri had an incredible talent, a sensational backand but... Wahou. For sure, one of his best victory on his career. Vamos El Gordo !!!

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Amazing. I knew that Calleri had an incredible talent, a sensational backand but... Wahou. For sure, one of his best victory on his career. Vamos El Gordo !!!

I reckon that was his 2nd best performance. The one against Agassi was great from the ground, but he served poorly that day, this one he was as good from the ground and served better.

scoobs
09-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Unbelievable. I went to bed expecting a fairly anodyne disposal job by Hewitt, instead he got bitchslapped like a cheap hooker who'd pissed off her pimp.

This is why how it looks on paper never tells the whole story.

If you'd asked 1000 knowledgeable tennis fans about this one, about 987 would have said Hewitt would make it through, probably fairly smoothly.

VolandriFan
09-01-2007, 09:42 AM
That was one of the best performances I've seen for a while. Gordo's backhand was absolutely scorching! He couldn't do a thing wrong from mid-second set onwards.

freeandlonely
09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
If noone puts on a freak performance like today and he doesn't play Federer, sure he has a chance. I will put a small bet on him at the Australian Open because I bet the odds will be upto 200 to 1 or something.

I just feel his perfomance not good enough to support his confidence.

Blue Heart24
09-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Llegs :mad:

Halba
09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
very disappointing show from hewitt. goes to show he has no weapons to live with the power game of the modern era.

FiBeR
09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I reckon that was his 2nd best performance. The one against Agassi was great from the ground, but he served poorly that day, this one he was as good from the ground and served better.

Im expecting to count his 1st best the 2003 Davis Cup SF win on Clay against Spain vs World N1 and Roland Garros champ Ferrero right? :p

he was more or less like today, but i think beating a world n1 on their surface, after winning a slam, and on home soil on davis cup may have added the extra plus to make it .. (regarding calleri really played fabulous by then)

his third best win will be against agassi..i agree.. he played really good but not as extraordinary as today or against ferrero.. :p

its a pity he is so mentally weak.. and cant hold it.. i think this was his best performance to come before retiring, in a year or two.. :sad:

Bobby
09-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Aren't you Hewitt fans running out of excuses soon? Winning a GS requires that you have to win Federer, face opponents that play very well and stay injury free. Hewitt is able to do none of these. So how can you consider him to be a potential GS winner? It's not like Calleri suddenly discovered how to play supernatural tennis, Hewitt just doesn't have the tools to win big tournaments anymore. Having said that, I do think he can do very well at Las Vegas tournament next year.

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Im expecting to count his 1st best the 2003 Davis Cup SF win on Clay against Spain vs World N1 and Roland Garros champ Ferrero right? :p

he was more or less like today, but i think beating a world n1 on their surface, after winning a slam, and on home soil on davis cup may have added the extra plus to make it .. (regarding calleri really played fabulous by then)

his third best win will be against agassi..i agree.. he played really good but not as extraordinary as today or against ferrero.. :p

its a pity he is so mentally weak.. and cant hold it.. i think this was his best performance to come before retiring, in a year or two.. :sad:

Yes, you are right that performance against Ferrero when he was at his best and the Malaga crowd gave him a standing ovation was a highlight that seems to be overlooked cause of what happened to a certain Gaudio. That day he was the maestro, everything went to gold.

Well Calleri played like this today and then there was his great choke of 6-0 4-0 up and losing to Koubek 0-6 7-6 7-5. Serving for the match 3x and having 5mps. Then the Bs As final against Massu was a horrible one as well.

This is what makes Gordo fun to watch, it's the unpredictable nature of the man. When he plays his best tennis, it's great to watch, but when he chokes, he does that with skill as well.

SwiSha
09-01-2007, 10:59 AM
did not see this coming

Doggy
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
oh hewitt :sad: he, ferrero, safin, and roddick's tennis generation are about to go extinct

aussie_fan
09-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Well Done Lleyton, you just fucked up everything there. No Masters Cup, no Top 10, no US Open final. Seriously Lleyton, the draw wasted here is absolutely shocking.

And to think that's all Australian Tennis has right now. Please help us god.

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Well Done Lleyton, you just fucked up everything there. No Masters Cup, no Top 10, no US Open final. Seriously Lleyton, the draw wasted here is absolutely shocking.

Go support the Wallabies. I bet you saw the match then?

Tomic and Klein, not good enough.

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM

you have Alun Jones :)

LeChuck
09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
That was simply breathtaking tennis from Gordo, and he was able to hit winners from virtually every position on the court and at every imaginable angle. Add to the fact that his serving was rock solid, and he looked assured at the net, and he was simply brilliant. I'm looking forward to his contest against Monaco in the next round.
Outclassing an in-form Hewitt at his strongest grand slam (as highlighted by his US Open results from 2000-2006), is an incredible achievement for him.

martine2
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
:bounce: :bounce: !!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!
Just found out now coz I couldn't watch yesterday but this just MADE MY WEEKEND!!!!

Never expected it! Gordo :worship: :worship:

*Ljubica*
09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
:bounce: :bounce: !!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!
Just found out now coz I couldn't watch yesterday but this just MADE MY WEEKEND!!!!

Never expected it! Gordo :worship: :worship:

Exactly how I felt when I woke up this morning and saw the result! Agustin :woohoo: Well done!

Stensland
09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
didn't watch it but UGH! how is that possible? lllllleyton!!!

Byrd
09-01-2007, 02:05 PM
CmonAussie :haha: :haha: :haha:

Neely
09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I knew Calleri potentially can do it, funny surprise he did it yesternight though. On the other hand you could also say he is due for finally one decent Grand Slam, but of course this is still a big question mark.

Andre♥
09-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Gordo is one of these guys that should be slapped for not being consistent.

If he could play like this (or a little bit worse) in a good number of times, he would be Argentina's number one right now.

Well done Agustin! :worship:

BORO77
09-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Very happy for Calleri:worship:
Always nice when ugly Lleyton loses a big match:)

kinglear
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I know it's good to be confident, but I think Hewitt and Safin need to stop saying they hope to win another Slam. They're lucky to even make it to the quarterfinals of Slams. Also, like Nike says, Just Do It! Back up the talk with the action. :rolleyes: I know Hewitt feels stupid.

freeandlonely
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I just don't wanna hear him saying this or that so frequently,
he's a great champion and two-time GS winner,
but it's not likely only Federer can beat him now.

As some people talking about he with Safin,
somehow I feel Safin's condition is another topic, I don't know,
maybe he is one of the most unpredictable human.

Medina
09-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Calleri, wow great match, Im so happy for him, Hewitt will not come back, even with tony raoch!

freeandlonely
09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Calleri, wow great match, Im so happy for him, Hewitt will not come back, even with tony raoch!

God, I forget Tony Raoch.

Byrd
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hewitts US Open consistency has gone out the window, his earliest ever exit.

FeñaRuiz
09-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Hewitt din't see the ball in the last set. KILLER GORDO :rocker:

shotgun
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Great match by Calleri, though it's highly unlikely he will maintain this level for the rest of the tournament.

RonE
09-01-2007, 07:10 PM
And some were saying Hewitt was supposed to be one of the top favourtes after Fed Nole and Rafa for the title :tape:

alfonsojose
09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Calleri looked like a male version of Pierce. ATP Big babe tennis :eek: :bowdown:

User ID 29337
09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
:(

mickymouse
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Painful to watch how helpless Hewitt was. It's not often that I see him with a defeatist attitude but he seemed resigned in the 4th set. Disappointing way for his US hc season to end.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
A huge disappointment. This is Lleyton's worst USO showing yet and this came on top of everybody thinking he was back to his old self again after playing so well on the hardcourts this summer.

musefanatic
09-01-2007, 11:57 PM
God, I forget Tony Raoch.

So do i, you wouldn't think he had a coach like him would you. Terrible, he shouldn't be losing to players like that. I thought he was back to his old self but obviously not.

World Beater
09-02-2007, 02:47 AM
:scared:

this is always the problem with hewitt. he hits a nice medium pace flat ball and if someone has good rhythm, hewitt will be blown off.

freeandlonely
09-02-2007, 02:50 AM
And some were saying Hewitt was supposed to be one of the top favourtes after Fed Nole and Rafa for the title :tape:

Lleyton Hewitt said it.
I wish him focus more just on his game, not over expected, it means nothing to him.

lazyman
09-02-2007, 04:01 AM
hewitt didnt play that bad but calleri was somehow able to keep up such a high level throughout the match. i dout he will play like that in the next round

leng jai
09-02-2007, 05:22 AM
This has always been Hewitt's problem. If he plays a power baseliner who is on his day, he simply can't do much. See Hewitt Vs Safin 2005 Aus Open.

myggen
09-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Have you seen Calleri play? I mean live in a stadium. Take a seat behind him and watch. He hits with an incredible amount of spin! Of course when he is going for winners his strokes are flatter, but it was a very bad comparison nonetheless.

NyGeL
09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I did manage to see a couple of games before they went to the Nadal match and he was playing well, especially when he broke back to 4-5 in the first even though he went on to lose his serve afterwards. Let's not forget the demolition job he did on Agassi in Miami in 2004 ending the latter's 20-match winning streak there, I thought Hewitt's defence would make this a nightmare match-up for him but he obviously came up with the goods.

Also don´t forget when he kicked Ferrero´s ass during 2002 Davis Cup (Ferrero was 1° at that moment)... but yeah, this happends once every 2 years xD