Nadal def. Tipsarevic 62 63 32 (ret.) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal def. Tipsarevic 62 63 32 (ret.)

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Much better from Rafa. He looked like a different player.

tennisgal_001
09-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Nadal looking in MUCH better shape than his first round match. Tipsy's got a rib injury.

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Not a lot of love for Rafa on GM tonight. I feel this thread would be on page 4 already if he had lost :)

guga2120
09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
He looked better but Tipsarevic was clearly not well. Who knows how he will do from here on. If he loses next match i would not be suprised.

Kalliopeia
09-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Rafa looked sharp,and didn't seem hampered by the knees at all. Which is a relief considering how shaky he sounded about it in the pre-match interview (I hate those, by the way....they don't want to talk right then!!). It's hard to believe this was the same guy that I watched Wednesday.

Feel bad for Tipsarevic. I like him, and he must think it's really sucking that there was so much fuss about Rafa's knees and he's the one who ends up retiring.

r2473
09-01-2007, 04:12 AM
I guess all the Spartans are sleeping. I figured there would be 11 pages of posts already.

tennisgal_001
09-01-2007, 04:13 AM
Aargh! I knew someone else would post the thread the second I decided to!

My thought exactly :lol:
We'll just wait for the mods to merge them...

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:14 AM
He looked better but Tipsarevic was clearly not well. Who knows how he will do from here on. If he loses next match i would not be suprised.

It's the US Open. Every victory is like an unexpected gift.

Kalliopeia
09-01-2007, 04:15 AM

I wouldn't be surprised either. Tendinitis tends to come back when you don't rest enough.

But he looked good even despite Tipsarevic's obvious difficulties, he was moving well, playing pretty aggressively, looked confident, all that.

NYCtennisfan
09-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Nadal's movement was near 100% and his hitting was at its best today.

AndyUK
09-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Good performance by Nadal. I expected it to be a bit closer, buut I guess Tipsarevic did get his injury. It's a shame he couldn't finish the match.

guga2120
I wouldn't be surprised either. Tendinitis tends to come back when you don't rest enough.

But he looked good even despite Tipsarevic's obvious difficulties, he was moving well, playing pretty aggressively, looked confident, all that.

He certainly hit the ball alot better and did not look miserable, but with an injury like that one little thing could cause him to retire. Certainly makes the tournament much more intresting with him in it, for now.

Bremen
All the hype for a nothing match...

patrickc
09-01-2007, 04:18 AM
injured my ass, nadal is so full of shit

Kalliopeia
09-01-2007, 04:20 AM
injured my ass, nadal is so full of shit

Yeah I guess he just made himself SEEM to be hobbled during the alun jones match to throw everyone off. Sneaky bastard.

kobulingam
09-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Much better from Rafa. He looked like a different player.

That's some amazing Italian Laser. I wonder if that Dr. will use that on my balky rotator cuff. It's been nagging me for years.

Anyone know this Laser Doc's contact info?

sawan66278
09-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Probably the real reason there are not many posts: if you didn't have USA t.v. coverage, there was no feed on Eurosport or anywhere else. Ridiculous for a slam in this age, but what else do you expect from the USTA?

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-01-2007, 04:26 AM
I guess all the Spartans are sleeping. I figured there would be 11 pages of posts already.

Sleep is for the weak.

Vamos RAFA!
Vamos DJOKO!

VAMOS SPARTA!!

star
09-01-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm happy Nadal won and thrilled he seemed to move better.

But Tipsarevic was also hobbled throughout the match, so I don't know how much it was a test for Nadal. I'm takng it match by match. Nadal could lose any round.

I feel a bit bad for Tipsaravic who I've always liked. I'm a bit surprised he didn't finish the match.

Mariana_lcf
09-01-2007, 04:28 AM
poor rafa, he's gonna get his ass whipped by tsonga

star
That's some amazing Italian Laser. I wonder if that Dr. will use that on my balky rotator cuff. It's been nagging me for years.

Anyone know this Laser Doc's contact info?

Apparently, JMac knows how to contact the guy. :)

Being a cycling fan, I get the shivers when I hear the words "Italian doctor." :lol:

sorrowman
nadal was just amasing today..his movment ahd his shots...was totally a different player , he wasnt the crap that was in first round..

guga2120
09-01-2007, 04:29 AM
poor rafa, he's gonna get his ass whipped by tsonga if he moves like he did in the first round, yes, if he moves well, he wins in 3, no question.

fmolinari2005
09-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Nadal: spartan king or drama queen?!

Ok! That was just a joke ... but even if Tipsarevic wasnt much of a test, Rafa seemed to be moving just fine. My money still is on Rafa for reaching the finals.

sykotique
09-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Tsonga-Nadal should be a good match.

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Tsonga-Nadal should be a good match.

Probably a total hammering for Nadal. He's got a blister now too.

:lol:

Sunset of Age
09-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Probably the real reason there are not many posts: if you didn't have USA t.v. coverage, there was no feed on Eurosport or anywhere else. Ridiculous for a slam in this age, but what else do you expect from the USTA?

Yep, true - this match wasn't aired anywhere over here. Just some livestreams, which I couldn't watch either because of a broken DSL connection. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good win for Rafa, so it seems!
Glad he's come through, though I do wonder how much of this easy victory was due to Tipsy being apparently injured.
That said, I hope Raf didn't look better than he actually is, for this very reason - a player may come across a lot better when playing an injured player, as we've also seen two days ago...

Congrats, Raf! :hatoff: and :hug: :hug: :hug: to Tipsy.

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Glad he's come through, though I do wonder how much of this easy victory was due to Tipsy being apparently injured.
That said, I hope Raf didn't look better than he actually is, for this very reason - a player may come across a lot better when playing an injured player, as we've also seen two days ago...

Well, maybe his movement wasn't 100% but his ball striking and court positioning were about 4000 times better than Wednesday. I'd wager that an injured Tipsarevic is still a tougher opponent than Alun Jones.

ReturnWinner
Rafa got very luck in playing an injured Tipsa, lucky for him He did not draw Calleri but He should ve being destroyed :p

sykotique

Blister? Pah. Nadal should stop trying to steal Richie's excuses, only he is soft enough to pull them off.

patrickc
09-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Yeah I guess he just made himself SEEM to be hobbled during the alun jones match to throw everyone off. Sneaky bastard.
i think he exaggerates his injuries when he is playing bad like the jones match, always an excuse

l_mac
09-01-2007, 04:41 AM
i think he exaggerates his injuries when he is playing bad like the jones match, always an excuse

Haters never prosper.

Kalliopeia
09-01-2007, 04:42 AM

The thing for me is not so much how easily he won but how well he was moving and how confident he looked. There were quite a few long rallies that one would think would have bothered him if he had been hurting like against Jones. The strange thing was that Tipsarevic was playing better there right before he retired than he had been all match. They showed him going up to the net after that last game and shaking Rafa's hand. Rafa looked completely surprised.

cmurray
09-01-2007, 04:52 AM
The thing that people seem to have missed is that Nadal did NOT say that he played poorly because he was in pain on Wednesday, he said his movement was hampered because he was afraid that if he abused it too much, he wouldn't be able to continue in the tournament.

That being said, I'm quite encouraged. Granted Tipsy was hurt, but Nadal looked crisp again. He had a load of winners, not many UEs at all and his serve had some bite again. Well done, Raf.

Magus13
09-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Sleep is for the weak.

Vamos RAFA!
Vamos DJOKO!

VAMOS SPARTA!!

TOOL

Magus13
09-01-2007, 05:03 AM

That was his ass picking finger by the way. Could really throw him off for the next match. Glad Nadal won though, want him in the Finals.

NevaNadal
09-01-2007, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure if the Nadal I was watching on Wednesday was real or a Pod Person but I like the one from Friday much better so that's the one I hope they use for the rest of the Open. ;)

Seriously, I'm wondering if Rafa didn't give his all tonight because of all his family members coming in to see the match.

Could be kinda embarrassing not to win, no?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear he retires before the next game.

Vamos Rafa!

l_mac
09-01-2007, 05:07 AM
That was his ass picking finger by the way. Could really throw him off for the next match. Glad Nadal won though, want him in the Finals.

:lol: I think he picks his ass with his right hand.

sykotique
09-01-2007, 05:09 AM
:lol: I think he picks his ass with his right hand.

Is that why he plays left-handed?

I keed, I keed.

The_Nadal_effect
09-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Good going, Rafa!:yeah:

Now go beat Tsonga.

FedFan_2007
09-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Sleep is for the weak.

Vamos RAFA!
Vamos DJOKO!

VAMOS SPARTA!!

I'd like to see RFK after 24 hours no sleep. I bet we wouldn't have a happy Spartan on our hands. :eek: :eek:

FedFan_2007
09-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Good going, Rafa!:yeah:

Now go beat Tsonga.

Tsonga is a hack. I'm not buying this Muhammed Ali of tennis bullshit. He hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant this hype.

The_Nadal_effect
09-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Tsonga is a hack. I'm not buying this Muhammed Ali of tennis bullshit. He hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant this hype.

He defeated Tiger Tim. He could be the next GOAT. :eek:

Clara Bow
09-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm not buying this Muhammed Ali of tennis bullshit. He hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant this hype.

I think the Ali references are due to the fact that Tsonga resembles Ali from his when he was still using the last name of Clay and getting an Olympic medal. In other words- he looks like a young Ali. That is all I have gotten. I don't see what is hype about saying a guy looks like another. ;)

star
09-01-2007, 06:51 AM
I think the Ali references are due to the fact that Tsonga resembles Ali from his when he was still using the last name of Clay and getting an Olympic medal. In other words- he looks like a young Ali. That is all I have gotten. I don't see what is hype about saying a guy looks like another. ;)

He looks vaguely like a young Ali, but Ali was far more handsome.

RonE
09-01-2007, 07:25 AM
And suddenly, miraculously, Rafa recovers his movement and his ball striking ability :lol:

Typical mountain out of a molehile hysteria from the Pork Dorks as usual.

Bad Religion
09-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Rafa showing heart as usual :worship: , playing tennis even if he is injured like this week

Learn Gasquet , you wuss

Marek.
09-01-2007, 07:45 AM
And suddenly, miraculously, Rafa recovers his movement and his ball striking ability :lol:

Seriously. :rolleyes:

DDrago2
09-01-2007, 08:02 AM
I watched Raffa's 1st round match and could not say he was injured. He just played like crap, and I was surprised to later learn he had some knee troubles.

And now he plays a good match... ts ts

It's not Djokovic who should not be trusted with his injuries, but Nadal! He is always injured/tired when he is outplayed. THe guy is just a bad sportsman

MariaV
09-01-2007, 08:11 AM

I am a hysterical woman, what can I do. ;) :shrug:

qw19
09-01-2007, 09:38 AM
I watched Raffa's 1st round match and could not say he was injured. He just played like crap, and I was surprised to later learn he had some knee troubles.

And now he plays a good match... ts ts

It's not Djokovic who should not be trusted with his injuries, but Nadal! He is always injured/tired when he is outplayed. THe guy is just a bad sportsman

:lol: :lol: :lol: :ras:

adee-gee
09-01-2007, 09:44 AM
So much better.

It wasn't just the knee, it was his attitude. You could tell from the 1st point he was more up for it today. More aggressive, his shots had much more penetration and he didn't have his "Hamburg look" on his face all match.

He'll need to keep improving though, Tsonga will be a huge test if he's on fire.

adee-gee
09-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Weren't you the one advising him to withdraw yesterday? :hug:

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Nadal and Djokovic, throwing more red herrings than a fish factory.

Bremen
09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Nadal and Djokovic, throwing more red herrings than a fish factory.

LOL, good one.

I don't think it's good for tennis to have number 2 and 3 in the world behave like this.

At least Federer has enough class for all of them.

adee-gee
09-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't think it's good for tennis to have number 2 and 3 in the world behave like this.

:haha:

Why can't everyone be like Federer? :awww: :baby:

Kalliopeia
09-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I watched Raffa's 1st round match and could not say he was injured.

Of course you couldn't. :lol: He could have been playing on crutches and you wouldn't have been able to say it. :)

Action Jackson
09-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Then you and Jogy would have no one to hate.

Doggy
09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I miss Tipsarevic's piercings and cool shades...........go bad-ass! :rocker:

Bremen
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Is that what I said??

Respect the game of tennis and your opponent. How hard is that? It seems like it takes more effort to come up with phony injuries than to just play the game.

freesbee
09-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Janko :sad: :sad: :sad: :hug:

adee-gee
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Is that what I said??

Respect the game of tennis and your opponent. How hard is that? It seems like it takes more effort to come up with phony injuries than to just play the game.
Like Connors and McEnroe did?

Anyway, can I ask why you have the opinion that Nadal doesn't respect tennis or his opponent?

Grofica
09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Janko :hug: get well soon :hug:

Sunset of Age
09-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Okay, as I said, I couldn't see the match due to a broken DSL connection, so I have no idea how well Rafa actually played, but from reading here I conclude he did very well indeed.

I honestly don't know what to think about this anymore - both my fav players playing like CRAP one day, and GREAT the next? I think they're all fooling us, having discussed both getting to the final on that plane to Cincy, whatever it takes - even if that means fooling the fans and putting off people with lacklustre performances... :lol:

I now think Raf has just been cautious of possible injury rather than anything else in his match against Jones. Well, that's okay I guess. And for his 'whining' - people should remember that his English is still very bad, so he might have given journalists et al the wrong impression on his ' injury', while not intending to do so.

Yeah, I know - he ALWAYS gets the benefit of the doubt from me. :angel:

cmurray
09-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Okay, as I said, I couldn't see the match due to a broken DSL connection, so I have no idea how well Rafa actually played, but from reading here I conclude he did very well indeed.

I honestly don't know what to think about this anymore - both my fav players playing like CRAP one day, and GREAT the next? I think they're all fooling us, having discussed both getting to the final on that plane to Cincy, whatever it takes - even if that means fooling the fans and putting off people with lacklustre performances... :lol:

I now think Raf has just been cautious of possible injury rather than anything else in his match against Jones. Well, that's okay I guess. And for his 'whining' - people should remember that his English is still very bad, so he might have given journalists et al the wrong impression on his ' injury', while not intending to do so.

Yeah, I know - he ALWAYS gets the benefit of the doubt from me. :angel:

See, if everyone would just listen to NADAL instead of the commentators they wouldn't throw around accusations of red herrings. He said that it wasn't actual pain that made him play so poorly on Wednesday, it was that he was afraid to play full out. He said it felt much better even before the match.

But as usual, people are ready to believe the worst about him.

DrJules
09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
LOL, good one.

Disagree totally.

Tennis certainly benefited from the Borg, Connors and McEnroe era. In many ways it resembles that era with Federer as a modern version of Borg, and Djokovic/Nadal as modern day McEnroe/Connors.

JustDoIt
09-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Poor Janko :(

Adler
09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I almost knew he'll knock Tipsy out. Notice that after a long troubling match he often plays a trampling one

zadle69
09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
but everyone is forgetting something. he played against a player who was not 100% healthy. when you start to play healthy players, it will make it tough especially on your knees. So to everyone don't raised the bandwagon yet. Healthy players who will pound away make it harder on your injuries. Always remember. He was lucky while the other opponent was injured with ribs and his knee also. So it was a matter who had the less of injury and it showed. So everyone needs to remember this is hard fast pounding courts and less forgiving. I see the road from now on very hard and difficult because the players are fasters and play hard. Difficulty will set in. So for everyone if he does not make it, then there is always next year (providing injury free). That is the problem have to learn to be injury free through out the whole year or career goes fast.

l_mac
09-01-2007, 03:04 PM
^ Thank you for that lesson.

zadle69
09-01-2007, 03:08 PM
no problem but the truth is the truth. It is hard to keep pounding those knees and you have tendonitis in both. The laser is just a temporary relief but rest and sometimes surgery are the cure for that. J Mac even said it that it is going to get harder and harder with that type of injury. You have to movement and when your opponent is moving just as fast and playing just as hard, it worsens the injury.

l_mac
09-01-2007, 03:17 PM
no problem but the truth is the truth. It is hard to keep pounding those knees and you have tendonitis in both. The laser is just a temporary relief but rest and sometimes surgery are the cure for that. J Mac even said it that it is going to get harder and harder with that type of injury. You have to movement and when your opponent is moving just as fast and playing just as hard, it worsens the injury.

I don't think he's at the stage where surgery is required. I think he said he hadn't felt any pain in the right knee since Stuttgart.

I'd like to see him rest plenty after the Open, maybe not playing again until Madrid. But I don't think that will happen.

zadle69
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
there is one of the problems. You may be in your early 20's age wise but internally injuries age the body. I think he should take your advice because constant injuries is what takes a person out. ALso I think if he is losing tomorrow and feels the pain, he may retire instead of risking anything else.

sawan66278
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
The major difference between Darth Cheater and Rafa is that Rafa is simply answering questions the media poses to him, CONFIRMING what players in the locker room KNOW to be true (as Marat hinted to and Courier mentioned earlier)...and Darth Cheater has phantom injuries DURING matches...which require multiple time outs and massages/rub-downs (the only thing missing is a facial)...leading to critical points where he runs like a gazelle and celebrates like a Kangaroo on speed.

Byrd
09-01-2007, 03:37 PM
zadle is the truth.....:worship: