Which one do you prefer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which one do you prefer?

thome
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I hope its not too bad of a question but which do you prefer:
A higher ranked player that plays a lot small tournaments and stuff or players that dont play a lot in smaller tournaments cause they only try to focus on grand slams?

MatchFederer
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
:shrug: I don't want to see top players playing many small tournaments and tiring themselves out for the Slams... unless it is Davydenko.

DhammaTiger
09-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I like to see higher ranked players playing smaller tournaments so that fans who can't go to big events can see them.
Players are much more accessible in small tournaments, and fans can get close to them. In grand slams it's very difficult to get tickets let alone watch your favourites practise.

Burrow
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
:shrug: I don't want to see top players playing many small tournaments and tiring themselves out for the Slams... unless it is Davydenko.

You are hardly going to tire yourself out, being a pro athlete, playing some small tournaments, unless a slam, is just around the corner.

I don't see the problem, I like to see top players schedule there year out consideringly, for what suits them. Davydenko is a player that usually benefits from player smaller tournaments, but not of recent of course, where as a player like Federer doesn't need to, and the following year he will have to go back there to defend points or else he will lose points.

So it really all depends on what suits the player.

VolandriFan
09-01-2007, 02:16 AM
I prefer the first one. Then we know that they are doing the most they can with the talent God gave them.

Doggy
09-01-2007, 05:43 AM
mmmmmm titles. I love davydenko's bald head

MatchFederer
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
You are hardly going to tire yourself out, being a pro athlete, playing some small tournaments, unless a slam, is just around the corner.

I don't see the problem, I like to see top players schedule there year out consideringly, for what suits them. Davydenko is a player that usually benefits from player smaller tournaments, but not of recent of course, where as a player like Federer doesn't need to, and the following year he will have to go back there to defend points or else he will lose points.

So it really all depends on what suits the player.

Well that was basically my point. It is within Davydenko's capability, so that is fine. In other words, if the player can handle, they can handle it, so it is no problem. If somebody as successful as Federer played lots of small tournies I wouldn't be too happy as he needs to conserve as much energy as possible if he wants to prolong his career.

TopShelf
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Its not that fact of being "tired" but rather inflating your ranking for the bigger tourny's in my eyes. All the power to Ljubicic, Davydenko and all the others who play a mega amount of tourny's, but when the majors come, you know the odds of that player going as far as his ranking dictates is very seldom.

As a fan I would go with the 1st, to see some high level talent in smaller places

User ID 29337
09-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Its a matter of personal taste but for me the slams are my favorite. In the US they are pretty much the only events we get to see mega coverage of. And for the player, thats where the money and exposure are. So I'd rather see a player do well in the slams then a lot of smaller ones but again its personal taste :)

Laura12
09-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I prefer the majors, but it depends on the player. For me, personally, the closest tournament is the US Open and I go to the men's final every year (well, every year since I've started following tennis), so I get to see awesome matches that way. Also, the larger ones get the tv coverage here, so it's not like I would get to see the players live or on tv in smaller tournaments anyway. Thus, I suppose, I'd rather see them saving themselves for the slams where I can then watch great matches with fully fit and prepared players.