With all the excitement Ginepri def Gabashvili 6-2 6-3 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

With all the excitement Ginepri def Gabashvili 6-2 6-3 6-1

Lee
08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Seems everyone is still so hyper about that other match.

Great week Robby!

l_mac
08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Where did Gabashvili leave his Round 1 form?

RickDaStick
08-31-2007, 09:33 PM
So lets get this straight, Gonzo lost to a guy who only managed 6 games vs GINEPRI?? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

croat123
08-31-2007, 09:39 PM
gonzo :tape:

shotgun
08-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Of course you always have to consider the opposition, but the fact Ginepri has lost only 10 games in two matches is rather impressive.

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I've always thought Ginepri was nowhere near as good a player as commentators try to make out, but equally nowhere near as bad as MTF posters seem to believe either. He has a good chance of proving too consistent for Wawrinka in the next round as well, though I'd like Stan the Man to prevail.

ReturnWinner
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
agree,Ginepri is good, u can not reach the top 20 and be a bad player
and he usually plays well in the usopen
I've always thought Ginepri was nowhere near as good a player as commentators try to make out, but equally nowhere near as bad as MTF posters seem to believe either. He has a good chance of proving too consistent for Wawrinka in the next round as well, though I'd like Stan the Man to prevail.

Merton
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Agree on all counts. Ginepri played excellent tennis back in the US Open 2005, but he failed to play at this level after that.

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 09:49 PM
It was fitness and smart baseline strategy that won him all those epic five setters against Haas, Gasquet and Coria, he is a more solid baseliner than most of the young Americans of his generation with good returns and defensive play. On the other hand, I don't think of him as having a stand-out weapon that would earn him a Top 10 spot.

selyoink
08-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Shows how bad Gonzo is at the moment.

Ginepri has lucked out with his draw. Wawrinka better send his ass home.

Adler
08-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Nothing really surprising

selyoink
08-31-2007, 09:55 PM
It was fitness and smart baseline strategy that won him all those epic five setters against Haas, Gasquet and Coria, he is a more solid baseliner than most of the young Americans of his generation with good returns and defensive play. On the other hand, I don't think of him as having a stand-out weapon that would earn him a Top 10 spot.

It was Coria double faulting late in the match that got him to the semis.

RogiFan88
08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
best thread title, Lee! ;)

Jogy
08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Gonzo and Gabashvili was a much different match and different day with different situation
people can not comparing this to days before
but I agree that Gabashvili should done better in this match

jmp
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
:clap2: Yaaaay, Robby! :D

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 10:12 PM
It was Coria double faulting late in the match that got him to the semis.

No doubt it was a major help (Coria also served for the third set and lost four games in a row, as well being up a break late in the fifth), but Ginepri still deserves credit for matching him off the ground, I don't think it was just nerves that made Coria double fault at crucial moments.

Fensler
08-31-2007, 11:17 PM

For one, I watched those matches in their entirety, and I generally agree with your evaluation of them and of Ginepri's overall proficiency.

This is also the first time I recall seeing "smart...strategy" used in reference to Robby Ginepri - wherein some sort of ostensible sarcasm wasn't involved. Like his tennis game, Ginepri is probably smarter than MTF acknowledges, although he won't be challenging Ken Jennings any time soon.

Marek.
08-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Good job Robby. :yeah:

QFs actually look possible.

Louche
09-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Robby is OK - nothing great - not awful, but when he was blogging, he made me laugh when he wrote how much he enjoyed his dessert - "Tiara-misu" :D

Tobi
09-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Thing with Ginepri he is having a good tournement and will have a good next tournement then probably have 3-4 bad tournements afterwards to lose all his confidence.

His style of play is to boring for me to watch anyway.

Fensler
09-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Robby is OK - nothing great - not awful, but when he was blogging, he made me laugh when he wrote how much he enjoyed his dessert - "Tiara-misu" :D

This was just Robby's clever way of alerting us to his royal taste in food.

After all, he was, in fact, referring to the crown-jewel of desserts.

cobalt60
09-01-2007, 03:34 AM

Was he the Waffle House guy as well? :scratch: I actually ate in one recently-not bad;)

So all of a sudden starting in New York he starts to get his "bling". Perfect city for it I guess. There isn't a "G Block" is there? :p

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks for nothing Gaba :(

Albop
09-01-2007, 05:20 AM
gonzo :smash:

idolwatcher1
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
His style of play is to boring for me to watch anyway.I guess hitting winners from all over the court (and using point contruction) would be boring for some people...

:o

I've always thought Ginepri was nowhere near as good a player as commentators try to make out, but equally nowhere near as bad as MTF posters seem to believe either.
How many matches a year do you even see of his? :confused: Let's see... commentators often watch players while they're practicing with their coaches, and they see them play during rounds that may not even be televised or seen by people (who aren't sitting in the bleachers/stands watching in person). MTF posters, many of whom never even see (or follow) the matches that they so often feel the need to comment on, hardly have any credibility in comparison to commentators who analyze tennis and players for a living.

I'm not even sure what commentators have said about him that you vehemently disagree with (because you didn't elaborate), but some of them talk about his potential (or qualities that he has that have given him success in the past) like they do with nearly every player that they talk about. With Robby, you get someone who could play good tennis for one part of a match (thereby impressing commentators), but then play a lot of errors (usually in tight situations or in a close deciding set). The commentators know what this implies. That he's got the talent, if he could just pull it together when the going gets tough, or apply what he does well all year round as opposed to just sporadic events.

He has a good chance of proving too consistent for Wawrinka
:lol: Robby is one of the last players I'd ever use the word "consistent" for... He's played well for a couple rounds before, only to play much worse in the next round... ;)

I don't think of him as having a stand-out weapon that would earn him a Top 10 spot.
Does being in the Top 10 require a specific "stand-out" weapon? :confused: This has been said about many players time and again, and some of these players have entered the Top 10 regardless of having a specific "stand-out" weapon. However, perhaps these players are the most disliked for having Top 10 success without the "stand-out" weapon to go with it, I dunno. The Top 10 awaits players that are consistently playing well for most of the year, or perform very well in big events (like Baghdatis has) even if a "stand-out" weapon didn't help them get there...

Sjengster
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I guess hitting winners from all over the court (and using point contruction) would be boring for some people...

:o

How many matches a year do you even see of his? :confused: Let's see... commentators often watch players while they're practicing with their coaches, and they see them play during rounds that may not even be televised or seen by people (who aren't sitting in the bleachers/stands watching in person). MTF posters, many of whom never even see (or follow) the matches that they so often feel the need to comment on, hardly have any credibility in comparison to commentators who analyze tennis and players for a living.

I'm not even sure what commentators have said about him that you vehemently disagree with (because you didn't elaborate), but some of them talk about his potential (or qualities that he has that have given him success in the past) like they do with nearly every player that they talk about. With Robby, you get someone who could play good tennis for one part of a match (thereby impressing commentators), but then play a lot of errors (usually in tight situations or in a close deciding set). The commentators know what this implies. That he's got the talent, if he could just pull it together when the going gets tough, or apply what he does well all year round as opposed to just sporadic events.

:lol: Robby is one of the last players I'd ever use the word "consistent" for... He's played well for a couple rounds before, only to play much worse in the next round... ;)

Does being in the Top 10 require a specific "stand-out" weapon? :confused: This has been said about many players time and again, and some of these players have entered the Top 10 regardless of having a specific "stand-out" weapon. However, perhaps these players are the most disliked for having Top 10 success without the "stand-out" weapon to go with it, I dunno. The Top 10 awaits players that are consistently playing well for most of the year, or perform very well in big events (like Baghdatis has) even if a "stand-out" weapon didn't help them get there...

I've seen plenty of his matches, nowhere near as many as most commentators I admit, but I've never seen evidence of this huge talent they go on about. Over here, I'm pretty sure they hype him because he's American - and I'm not talking about American TV, this is British TV. They hype him up in the sense that they dwell on his results a lot and express the hope that he'll do better, as though they believe he can be Top 10, which I doubt. Actually, scrub that, they have said he can be Top 10, which is what I disagree with.

You know perfectly well that I was talking about match-ups, Wawrinka is a big hitter and Ginepri could definitey frustrate him by getting too many balls back over the course of five sets. Was he the last player you'd use the word "consistent" about when he won three straight five-setters here back in 2005? Granted, he's not close to that form now, but I can certainly imagine him recapturing it temporarily with a favourable match-up.

Every player in the current Top 10 has more of a stand-out weapon than Ginepri. Robredo is the one that obviously sticks out as having quite an unexceptional game, but I'd still take his forehand over Ginepri's. If you're thinking about players like Ljubicic and Davydenko, the ones who've been derided for being dull and having nothing special, they have clear weapons that Ginepri lacks.

ChinoRios4Ever
09-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Gonzo is playing challenger level right now :rolls:

congrats to Robby :yeah: