thanks! :) i am Latvian :wavey:

Sorry, my bad :wavey:

Louche
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Baltic fanboy. :p

:wavey:

Mateya
08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
I wanted to :smash: you at first, but OK since you are from a small country with no top player (yet).

Sorry, but I think top 20 would be just amazing for now. :lol:

Deivid23
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
He has the tools to be a very good player that´s for sure. Top 10 I´d say, can´t say further than this atm, still too soon

rocketassist
08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Top 20 with possibly top 10 as well. He has a nice draw here too and I hope he can make the second week.

Stensland
08-31-2007, 06:18 PM
i like people that get into tennis like this. :) welcome aboard, ImS

just think about this board if we had someone chinese climbing up the ranks like gulbis is...

Ivo#1Fan
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks! :) i am Latvian :wavey:

Me too, though slightly removed!! I hadn't even realized there were any Latvian players. Go Gulbis:wavey:

stebs
08-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Gulbis lacks shot selection at the moment as well as a lot of other aspects. Next two years will reveal a whole lot about him.

Deivid23
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Gulbis lacks shot selection at the moment as well as a lot of other aspects.

:confused:

Care to elaborate this weird analysis?

Adler
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
This guy has something, but let's not get carried away. Let his game do the talking

GonzoFed
08-31-2007, 06:46 PM
He has the tools to be a very good player that´s for sure. Top 10 I´d say, can´t say further than this atm, still too soon

Haven't seen the kid play yet. Would you care to give an scouting report on him? (if you have the time of course :) )

Frederick16
08-31-2007, 06:52 PM
he serves the holes in the court. he has amazing shots. he hits the ball sooo hard. but he has a long swing so when he dont have the time he make a lot of errors.

stebs
08-31-2007, 06:53 PM
:confused:

Care to elaborate this weird analysis?

What's weird about it? I mean it's pretty clear, care to tell me what's so strange?

Gulbis is a good player and he has a lot of shots when he uses them but like a lot of youngsters he often just hits the ball hard when he would be better off to do something different and he certainly has the tools to do things in a different way so that's what I mean with the shot selection.

His volleys are very up and down, bear in mind that I've seen this guy play two matches and then a few other clips so I'm no expert but from what I've seen he is good technically but misses easy ones inexplicably at times.

Defensively as well he is far from complete. He isn't slow and he can get to the ball but again with the shot selection he just cracks it a lot of the time instead of trying to get the ball back in court. He can't expect to win a lot of close matches while he is so volatile even if he is mentally sound.

Deivid23
08-31-2007, 07:26 PM
What's weird about it? I mean it's pretty clear, care to tell me what's so strange?

You will see now ;)

Gulbis is a good player and he has a lot of shots when he uses them but like a lot of youngsters he often just hits the ball hard when he would be better off to do something different and he certainly has the tools to do things in a different way so that's what I mean with the shot selection.

Wrong. Gulbis likes to mix it up and break the opponent´s rythm often, he´s not a ball basher though he can hit the ball v hard. He even loves to hit dropshots, even too many for my taste.

His volleys are very up and down, bear in mind that I've seen this guy play two matches and then a few other clips so I'm no expert but from what I've seen he is good technically but misses easy ones inexplicably at times.

He´s just developing his game :shrug: He has good hands, good feel and technique. Nothing wrong with him in this department imo

Defensively as well he is far from complete. He isn't slow and he can get to the ball but again with the shot selection he just cracks it a lot of the time instead of trying to get the ball back in court. He can't expect to win a lot of close matches while he is so volatile even if he is mentally sound.

Here u have a point, he needs to improve his defence and he´s not strong mentally but this is his first complete year at the ATP tour, there´s only one Nadal u know.

Summarizing, Gulbis is a very good upcoming talent, and your quote sounded too harsh towards him imo. :wavey:

Deivid23
08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Haven't seen the kid play yet. Would you care to give an scouting report on him? (if you have the time of course :) )

Apart from the things above, he has an excellent and fluid serve, as well as his backhand which is outstanding, he can hit it hard and with excellent angles as well as varying it to make nice dropshots. His fh needs some work on though, it´s still too erratic though he can generate very nice pace with it, it´s still a weakness to me. Needs to be more patient and improve his defence and probably his footwork

stebs
08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Wrong. Gulbis likes to mix it up and break the opponent´s rythm often, he´s not a ball basher though he can hit the ball v hard. He even loves to hit dropshots, even too many for my taste.

On the whole I agreed with your post but here you have missed my point or elseI wasn't clear. I realise he has these shots and yes he uses mix up play a lot which can be good to see. All I meant was that he is still developing the knack for which shot to play when and until he gets this better we will see a lot of errors or points lost when he plays the right shot at the wrong time.

Deivid23
09-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Gulbis lacks shot selection at the moment as well as a lot of other aspects.

Tommy Robredo thinks you were spot on :lol:

Young 8
09-03-2007, 03:35 AM
am i crazy or this guy looks like the young Safin ???

kobulingam
09-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Top 20 with possibly top 10 as well. He has a nice draw here too and I hope he can make the second week.

He just did.

Alex999
09-03-2007, 03:40 AM
i like people that get into tennis like this. :) welcome aboard, ImS

just think about this board if we had someone chinese climbing up the ranks like gulbis is...

lol, I love this board :)

krakenzero
09-03-2007, 04:28 AM
I have a non-tennis question... Do latvians get annoyed when they're confused with Estonians or Lituannians? I think that's gotta be a common mistake in the world :S :S...

ImS
09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
I have a non-tennis question... Do latvians get annoyed when they're confused with Estonians or Lituannians? I think that's gotta be a common mistake in the world :S :S...

Yes, it is annoying, but we have to live with it, we do not expect that whole world recognize us correctly... (sorry for my bad English :) )

Gulbis rullez! :rocker:

Rumour
09-03-2007, 08:29 AM
future #1 - what do you guys think?
Don't know about No. 1 but Gulbis definitely has a bright future if he can maintain momentum from this USO run :)

Mateya
09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Looks like this Gulbis is good :cool:

No.1 probably not :rolls: but top 30 should be a goal now.

Adler
09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Nice anticipation of the thread author

gjalex
09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Future no.1 Waaaaay too early to say. Hes having a good tournament thats all, let him have a few good tournaments before thinking like this.

vildis
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM

Not really, what annoys me peronally when we are confused with russians..:o

Jimnik
09-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Well he's already #1, in Latvia anyway. :p

I think he could become the Indoor King one day but it's too early to tell how he'll do outdoors. He could become very strong on grass and hardcourts but he's already struggling on clay and I doubt he's going to improve much on that surface.

Top ten, maybe even top five, hopefully.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 01:49 PM
it's striking how cool this kid is. man, he just reached the second round of a slam, virtually crushed a solid top10-player and it seems as if he was kinda expecting it if you look at the way he behaves after the match. if i didn't know better, i'd have thought that he was the top10-player and robredo some upcoming youngster getting his ass whipped.

stunning. it's been a long time since i've seen that much coolness. stone cold ernie gulbis... :)

Iván
09-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I saw gulbis at that carpet tournament in i think was it russia where he outrallied but eventually lost to mario ancic.

I knew then he was a potential great player.

But lets not get carried away, he has beaten two claycourters and a journeyman.

Moya-although more comf on the clay will be his 1st true test.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
as i said in the other thread: the commentators yesterdday said that gulbis is one of the richest kids in latvia, sometimes arriving at tournaments in his families' private jet. does anyone know anythign about this?

Burrow
09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I would imagine most of these pro's were rich children.

jitterbug
09-03-2007, 02:20 PM
His father is very rich, but I've never heard anything about a private jet.

justClaudia
09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
as i said in the other thread: the commentators yesterdday said that gulbis is one of the richest kids in latvia, sometimes arriving at tournaments in his families' private jet. does anyone know anythign about this?

this is not news, his Father is a very, very rich man, to say the least. Capitalism combined with talent ..this kid HAD to be good.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
well, then it's even more amazing that he got through. rich kids normally don't care about competing in eastern europe, not that well off kids do.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:25 PM
but I've never heard anything about a private jet.

berrer said that, they had a chat after their 2nd-round encounter.

Raymz
09-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Yup his father(owner of some company in Germany) is really rich. Gulbis family has house in Jurmala(richest northeast summer city), but they live in Latvia very rarely. That's why there is poor communication between Gulbis and Latvia's media. I don't remember when there was some interview with him in local newspapers(for example Nieminen gives reports after every match in Finland). I think Gulbis is pretty arrogant as personality - not friendly with Latvia at all.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Yup his father(owner of some company in Germany)

so if you combine that with the fact that he's been practising and living in germany for quite a while now (munich), he should be able to speak german fluently, i hope.

i'm looking forward to interviews with that guy! :)

Raymz
09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
so if you combine that with the fact that he's been practising and living in germany for quite a while now (munich), he should be able to speak german fluently, i hope.

http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/baby-djok-in-the-house/

More on Gulbis, or Baby Djok

By Kathleen McElroy

Let us officially christen Ernests Gulbis the new “Baby Fed.” Or better yet “Baby Djok” with whom he has practiced. Gulbis, a 6-3 Latvian who turned 19 last week, made eighth-seeded Tommy Robredo look like the rookie in a Grandstand “day” match that began just before 10 p.m. The final score was 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 and it wasn’t that close.

Robredo told a group of Spanish journalists that he felt as hopeless as he looked, while Gulbis was quietly confident about his performance and his future. As for as the late start, neither player said it affected him. Gulbis got here at 1 p.m. and waited and waited, playing cards with his father. When they got on court, he said, “The first set just passed by quickly.” The second set was most important, he said, because he stayed in control.

When Gulbis continued to hit winner after winner, the Grandstand crowd began chanting “Ernie, Ernie.” The baby-faced player is a Latvian who is 88th in the world and now the youngest and lowest-ranked player in the men’s draw. Richard Gasquet may also have a one-handed backhand like Federer’s and may be the current “Baby Fed,” but he could have competition for that nickname. (By the way, C.S. comments below that Gulbis is more a “Baby Safin.” I can see that, too.)

He next faces 31-year-old Carlos Moya, who played five tough, emotional sets to advance. “We don’t play tomorrow?” Gulbis said jokingly. “Too bad.” He appears well-adjusted and gets his high school diploma later this month in Latvia. He said he learned to speak English when he was 6 years old in London with his mother, a former actress. He also said watching cartoons helped. He also speaks Russian and a little German — “I’m too lazy to learn it.” [There will be a full recount of the interview Monday morning. Wait, it’s already Monday morning].

Or maybe Gulbis should face Robredo every night in a match that starts seven hours later than it could have. As they did on Armstrong, five-setters extended the day session way past bedtime.

Gulbis averaged 129 miles on his first serve. He won 18 of 19 points at the net. He had 36 winners to Robredo’s 7. The fact that Gulbis had also had 32 unforced errors shows how much he controlled the match. Robredo went 0-for-3 on break points. He displayed a killer forehand, a two-handed backhand down the line that wouldn’t stop and a useful drop shot (which Federer is still perfecting). And he handled the late hour and the small but boisterous crowd situation with aplomb — no screaming, no fist-pumping, no Latvian equivalents of “C’mon!” as if he plays like this all the time. When asked how he stayed so calm, he shrugged. We’ll get a better idea when he faces Moya, a more composed veteran than Robredo, in the next round.

He had Robredo so rattled at 2-5 in the third set that the 25-year-old Spaniard missed an overhead that he would normally put away. At match point, Gulbis smoked a two-handed backhand crosscourt.

Gulbis, who is being coached by Niki Pilic, the former Davis Cup coach for Germany and Croatia and the man who coached Djokovic as a youngster. In fact, Djokovic and Gulbis were at Pilic’s tennis academy in Munich at the same time, but Djokovic was older and better, Gulbis said.

Pilic told Gulbis not to play juniors. If you want to be a pro, Gulbis recalled him saying, you have to play the pros. “If you’ve got the game,” Gulbis added.

Well, tonight, kid, you did.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
this kid's stone cold man, i love that attitude! he's gonna rock the tour, i'm telling you.

i can't see moya having any chance against him.

justClaudia
09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Yup his father(owner of some company in Germany) is really rich. Gulbis family has house in Jurmala(richest northeast summer city), but they live in Latvia very rarely. That's why there is poor communication between Gulbis and Latvia's media. I don't remember when there was some interview with him in local newspapers(for example Nieminen gives reports after every match in Finland). I think Gulbis is pretty arrogant as personality - not friendly with Latvia at all.

I'm not here judging or anything, but this kid is a product of his rich family. Which is fair enough, I mean you've got to start somehow, and money helps, a lot. No doubt he has the talent, but I wonder if there aren't any more talented kids in Latvia, or in any other country, but with less possibilities than Ernests. I'm just saying ...

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:43 PM
@ claudinha

usually, if you're rich, you don't put that much effort in sports, do you? it takes a lot more willpower to break through if you already have everything in your life. that's how i see it. it's pure willpower from gulbis to climb up the rankings. he surely doesn't have to as he's apparently well off without even touching a raquet.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 02:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen07/news/story?page=notebookuso070902

GULBIS ROUTS ROBREDO TO REACH FOURTH ROUND

NEW YORK -- Nothing in Ernests Gulbis' record this year indicated that he was poised to make a breakthrough at the U.S. Open.

The 19-year-old from Latvia, one of the former Soviet republics, showed promise by rising 300 places to No. 139 in the rankings last year, but on paper, it looked like he still was in transition. He had played mostly lower-level Challenger events and hadn't won back-to-back matches on the ATP circuit -- where he was 4-11 coming into the Open -- all season.

Sunday night, he learned what it's like to be a winning underdog in New York. A surprisingly large crowd at the Grandstand court chanted Gulbis' name in the late stages of his stunning third-round upset of eighth seed Tommy Robredo of Spain.

Multiply Robredo's ranking by 11, and you get Gulbis' position on the ATP charts. In another nifty bit of numerology that explains the result, Robredo had fewer wins (seven) than his ranking, never an encouraging equation.

The match, ostensibly scheduled for the day session, was delayed for hours as two previous men's matches went the maximum five sets. Gulbis and Robredo didn't take the court until 10 p.m., but then Gulbis made fast work of the Spaniard, waxing him 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 in 91 minutes, to end at 11:31 p.m.

"I didn't think it was going to be so easy," said Gulbis, a bright, confident teenager with chestnut hair, hazel eyes and a quick smile. Until his post-midnight press conference, he was the only player in the 128-man draw who hadn't been requested by journalists.

"I felt a little bit of pressure at 3-0 (in the third set), because guys in the top 10, if you don't finish them, they can turn the match around in a second," Gulbis said.

His next opponent also is a high-ranked Spaniard, 17th-seeded Carlos Moya, who played a taxing five-set match Sunday.

"Maybe I'll be more fit for the match," Gulbis said.

Gulbis' grandfather, Alvils Gulbis, was a star for the old USSR basketball team, and Ernests began playing tennis with his grandmother when he was a young child.

At 12, Gulbis began training at the Munich, Germany-based academy of former Croatian pro Niki Pilic, where Novak Djokovic also honed his game.

Gulbis, the first player from his nation to crack the top 100, now joins a very small subgroup of elite athletes from Latvia, which gained its independence in 1991. Andris Biedrins starts for the NBA's Golden State Warriors, and Jelena Prokopcuka is a two-time winner of the women's New York Marathon.

justClaudia
09-03-2007, 03:01 PM
@ claudinha

usually, if you're rich, you don't put that much effort in sports, do you? it takes a lot more willpower to break through if you already have everything in your life. that's how i see it. it's pure willpower from gulbis to climb up the rankings. he surely doesn't have to as he's apparently well off without even touching a raquet.

of course, and I'm not taking any credit from him here, far from that. good for him, he is lucky to have a family supporting him, in more than one way.

thing is, and that's why I quoted that post, it's not the first time I hear the word arrogant when it comes to Ernests, and also the private jet thing ..I hope that money is not what defines him. And that he realises he is very lucky to have a whole family investing on him. Not every talented kid has such luck.

Also, I think it's way too soon to call him a hero. He still has a lot to improve.

Stensland
09-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Also, I think it's way too soon to call him a hero. He still has a lot to improve.

i know, i wasn't trying to push an ernests-friendly agenda, sorry if i came off like that.

but the thing is: he's apparently the kinda guy i always liked: the smooth player, somebody like kafelnikov and stich. not stupid and this look as if he doesn't really care about what he does on court yet CRUSHES the opponents. i love this picture, this "oh well, ok whatever, let's play tennis" as if he had better things to do. and then he comes on court and dismisses someone like robredo in 90 minutes, walks to the net and looks like he's already making plans for the next hour, like going for lunch or something like that. :D

he seems as if he doesn't care and kills someone like robredo who quite obviously was working his ass off on the baseline.

i actually like this mellow coolness, apparently rightly self-confident and masterly. this guy has what it takes to become my favourite player (apart from the germans on tour).

griffin_230
09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Video highlights (double click or right click and select from menu to make full screen) of Gulbis vs Henman at FO earlier this year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_6700000/newsid_6702700/6702783.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1

jitterbug
09-03-2007, 03:14 PM
He does have a temper, though. He's very capable of racquet-throwing.

alfonsojose
09-03-2007, 03:19 PM
He's my new man :inlove:

Stensland
09-03-2007, 03:24 PM
He does have a temper, though. He's very capable of racquet-throwing.

fine by me. but he's amazingly level-headed for an 18-yo though, no headcase at all obviously.

Burrow
09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
He's my new man :inlove:

Run for the hills, Gulbis.

Raymz
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
fine by me. but he's amazingly level-headed for an 18-yo though, no headcase at all obviously.

1) New Haven Qualification 1st round - Gulbis lead 6-3 *5-4, then *6-2 in TB, but still lost to Teimuraz Gabashvili 3-6 7-6(9) 6-1

2) Kitzbuhel 1st round - Gulbis lead 3-0 in deciding set but still lost to Laurent Recouderc 5-7 6-3 6-4

Back to reality :wavey:

Stensland
09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
1) New Haven Qualification 1st round - Gulbis lead 6-3 *5-4, then *6-2 in TB, but still lost to Teimuraz Gabashvili 3-6 7-6(9) 6-1

2) Kitzbuhel 1st round - Gulbis lead 3-0 in deciding set but still lost to Laurent Recouderc 5-7 6-3 6-4

Back to reality :wavey:

hmmm...yeah, that does ground me a bit, to be honest. i was just referring to yesterday, where he didn't hesitate to close out the match in orderly fashion. and that was a big name, no gabashvili-crap.

Stensland
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
the german commentator just said that gulbis' family rented a whole hotel floor for his entourage for the us open. wOOOOt! :D

the answer
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I notice him for the first time during the first round of Roland Garros against Tim Henman where he beat him 6-4 6-3 6-2.
Henman wasn't known for his clay court skills but he did manage to make the semi-final of RG in 2004.

But the match that really captivated my attention was his demolition of Tommy Robredo a top 10 player at the time during the US Open (6-1 6-3 6-2) the way Gulbis played you'd think he was a top 10 player him self. He ended losing to Carlos Moya in the roud after a well fought battle.
Gulbis in someway reminds me of a young Federer (not saying he is talented as Federer but their games look a like).
At the age of 19 he has already beaten Henman, Massu, T.Johannson and Tommy Robredo. The thing he lacks to most is consistency if he somehow learns to be more consistence their might be a Grand Slam or more for him in the Future. He is one of the only players I enjoy to watch alongside Federer, Murray and Nalbandian.

Forehand: Eastern Grip I think (I might be wrong) Good looking shot but can also make alot of unforced errors on this side.(Against Moya this was the case). He can generate alot of power of this side.

Backhand: His best shot IMO because a bit like Nalbandian's but not so accurate.

Net game: Gulbis has a great touch but like most of his peers he doesn't come often to the net. I Would like to see him do it more

Serve: He can consistently hit aces with his serve mainly because of his size (6"3).

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/ernests+gulbis/video/x3381x_ernests-gulbis-v-tommy-robredo-high_sport

JustJames
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I personally don't think Gulbis' game is reminiscent of Federer's, possibly more of Safin's [but maybe that is just b/c of the BH].. Gulbis seems to place a lot more emphasis on power, whilst Federer always played with more finesse.

And no, Gulbis definitely does not play with an Eastern grip. He most likely uses a SW grip.

the answer
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I personally don't think Gulbis' game is reminiscent of Federer's, possibly more of Safin's [but maybe that is just b/c of the BH].. Gulbis seems to place a lot more emphasis on power, whilst Federer always played with more finesse.

And no, Gulbis definitely does not play with an Eastern grip. He most likely uses a SW grip.

Hence why I said a young Federer. Federer used to play with a lot more power than he does these days.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GBYFnwUJP_8

JustJames
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Hence why I said a young Federer. Federer used to play with a lot more power than he does these days.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GBYFnwUJP_8

Ah yes you are probably quite correct in that respect, but I still think that Federer played with better touch and finesse than Gulbis currently does.. but there is no reason why he can't improve in that department. I do think however that even though this season could be a successful one, Gulbis won't reach anywhere near his full potential yet, and this will be an 'improving season'.

the answer
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Ah yes you are probably quite correct in that respect, but I still think that Federer played with better touch and finesse than Gulbis currently does.. but there is no reason why he can't improve in that department. I do think however that even though this season could be a successful one, Gulbis won't reach anywhere near his full potential yet, and this will be an 'improving season'.

I agree with you on that one. I don't expect him to finish in the top ten or something but a place in the top 30 should be achievable.

Lleyton_
01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
He seems like an aggressive Murray to me.

sheeter
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Could someone upload gulbis video to youtube? Please?

sheeter
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Just highlights would be fine!!!

rocketassist
01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
His game is similar to Soderling's.

the answer
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Just highlights would be fine!!!

I already posted look at the first post.

sheeter
01-02-2008, 04:14 PM
My bad. Thanks alot.

the answer
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
His game is similar to Soderling's.

Soderling has one of the worst volleys of the current top 100. and his forehand looks quite akward.

Adler
01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
He reminds me Mario Ancic. Haircut, height, racket...

sheeter
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Heck of a forehand.

Stensland
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
he reminds me of michael stich to some extent, the way he keeps his cool on court, never showing emotions, hitting big strokes pretty constantly with little spin. i like that kid since i watched the robredo-match, that was some brilliant tennis.

RagingLamb
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
i've been waiting to jump on the gulbis bandwagon for quite some time now.
the kid's got major potential. all I need is one major win or upset, and I'll start yelling goat.

it's gonna be a fun 2008.

NinaNina19
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
i've been waiting to jump on the gulbis bandwagon for quite some time now.
the kid's got major potential. all I need is one major win or upset, and I'll start yelling goat.

it's gonna be a fun 2008.Why not start yelling goat right now:D? I'm first on the bandwagon for the record. Gulbis for top 20 next year:worship:.

Ref444
01-03-2008, 02:56 AM
anyone who witnessed the Robredo match in person will never be the same again. I know I'm not.

Top 25 this year, Top 10 by the end of 2009.

BEAT TSONGA!

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 03:02 AM
anyone who witnessed the Robredo match in person will never be the same again. I know I'm not.

Top 25 this year, Top 10 by the end of 2009.

BEAT TSONGA!He probably won't.

sheeter
01-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Well, if we are all going to be making crazy, bandwagon remarks, gasquet number three by end year, Nadal two. Oh, and Fed becomes a deity.

Ref444
01-03-2008, 03:13 AM
He probably won't.

to what? all three?

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 03:37 AM
to what? all three?
No, just the last one. Actually he might. You never know, sometimes he's amazing and other times he just makes loads of UE. Top twenty this year for sure. He doesn't have a lot of points to defend. He only played 4 ATP tournaments last year. If he gets it together mentally...

Magus13
01-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Gulbis is the real deal. Seeing him at the Open got me on the bandwagon. He reminds me of Fed a little as well. Not his strokes but the way he can use different parts of his game , Serve, Groundstrokes, Volleys and Touch to win a point. He can also hit winners from anywhere on the court. I think he will be the next big thing in tennis. Top 30 this year with a run in one GS and upsets over a few top ten players.

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 04:22 AM
I wonder how large of a run he can make at AO. Hopefully he can get to another 4r.

the answer
01-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I wonder how large of a run he can make at AO. Hopefully he can get to another 4r.

A lot of it will depend on the draw that he will get. Because he isn't high ranked we might see a Gulbis vs Federer or Nadal in the first round.

decrepitude
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Gulbis was beaten by Tsonga 6-3 6-2 today, so I think I will wait until he gets a little older and hopefully more consistent before I hitch a ride on the bandwagon.

richie21
01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
At the age of 19 he has already beaten Henman, Massu, T.Johannson and Tommy Robredo.

Nothing really impressive there.
At 19,some of the current youngsters had already beaten Federer.

C3PO
01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
He seems rather talented but nothing special. And when you lose to Tsonga 3 and 2, that means there's still a long way to go.

JustJames
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
There really is no point in comparing players rise up the ranks/who they have beaten etc.. it is not an accurate gauge on future progress.

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
A lot of it will depend on the draw that he will get. Because he isn't high ranked we might see a Gulbis vs Federer or Nadal in the first round.
Gulbis could take them:banana:.

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
At 19,some of the current youngsters had already beaten Federer.Ernests has never faced Fed before. Plus he's the best 88. All those players are now older than Ernests. It's his turn to prove himself now.

Lleyton_
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
At 19,some of the current youngsters had already beaten Federer.

How ironic. A Gasquet fan talking about "nothing really impressive" 19 year olds :rolleyes:

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I can't believe someone can watch that video and say nothing really impressive.

RagingLamb
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
the guy's got sniper precision. really knows what he's doing.

Let's see how he does in 08.

richie21
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
How ironic. A Gasquet fan talking about "nothing really impressive" 19 year olds :rolleyes:

Well the guy told me that at 19,beating players like T.Joahnson,Henman or Robredo was impressive......well,not quite if you compare him to what Gasquet(or even better Nadal) had already achieved at 19.
At 19,Gasquet had already beaten players like Federer,Davydenko or Ljubicic and had already won an ATP tournament.

I didn't say his game was not impressive.
I just said that to beat players like Robredo,TJ or Henman at 19 was not that impressive,comparing to what some of the current youngsters had already achieved at that age.

NinaNina19
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Gulbis still has 8 months of being 19 to go.

richie21
01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Gulbis still has 8 months of being 19 to go.

And i hope he'll do well as i like his game ;)

sheeter
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I didn't say his game was not impressive.
I just said that to beat players like Robredo,TJ or Henman at 19 was not that impressive,comparing to what some of the current youngsters had already achieved at that age.

Its definitely more than some his age have accomplished and is nothing to be frowned upon.

trixtah
01-03-2008, 11:41 PM

Anyone can put together a highlight reel...

supertommyhaas
08-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Just would like some people's opinions on the young man from latvia.. I think he willl be a top 5 player in the future.

leng jai
08-28-2008, 05:54 AM
IMO he has awesome finishing power off both wings.

Bibberz
08-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Grand Slam Singles Total: 2
Career Singles Titles: 26
Career Singles Record: 498-277
Highest Singles Rank: 2
Best Olympic Performance (Singles): Bronze, London 2012.
Grand Slams Doubles Total: 0
Career Doubles Titles: 3
Career Doubles Record: 48-28
Highest Doubles Rank: 142
Career Prize Money: $24,763,311.98 (USD)

Count on it.

EDIT: Dude, you do realize you've started three threads on the same subject, right? Somewhere Clay Death is smiling....

supertommyhaas
08-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Grand Slam Singles Total: 2
Career Singles Titles: 26
Career Singles Record: 498-277
Highest Singles Rank: 2
Best Olympic Performance (Singles): Bronze, London 2012.
Grand Slams Doubles Total: 0
Career Doubles Titles: 3
Career Doubles Record: 48-28
Highest Doubles Rank: 142
Career Prize Money: $24,763,311.98 (USD)

Count on it.

EDIT: Dude, you do realize you've started three threads on the same subject, right? Somewhere Clay Death is smiling....

Yeh i do, my computer was stuffed. Mods delete the other 2 threads please.

Beat
08-28-2008, 07:51 AM
not so good that he deserves three threads of the same name.

A_Skywalker
08-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I dont think he will win GS. He is a type of a player that goes to night clubs and plays the next day. He is not serious enough to be at the top. He has all the shots to be a great player, but I predict he wont be.

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
He's making a decent progress for his age, and has the main weapon in this game: serve.

But so far he lacks the second best weapon, nerve. We'll see.

gambit84
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
he could win slam in future I think and be a top5, he has talent, powerful strokes and playing tennis for him is so easy. But being n.1 is hard I think because he has problems to be constant at high level (well he can improve these aspects trying to work on his body and his mental power )

he should be a new safin imho

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
he could win slam in future I think and be a top5, he has talent, powerful strokes and playing tennis for him is so easy. But being n.1 is hard I think because he has problems to be constant at high level (well he can improve these aspects trying to work on his body and his mental power )

he should be a new safin imho

Safin enjoyed a weak era when he got to #1. Gulbis will need to try much harder to go past Nadal, Djokovic and Federer in a slam.

seljanin
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I dont think he will win GS. He is a type of a player that goes to night clubs and plays the next day. He is not serious enough to be at the top. He has all the shots to be a great player, but I predict he wont be.

How do you know that? ;)

Actually, you are quite right, although he seems to be quite shy and collected, Gulbis used to be a party guy. However, he's changed his attitude for quite a while already, and, as far as I know, he has really restricted himself in this area and become much more serious about tennis.

Forehander
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
He's definitely got great strokes. But not sure about his mentality towards tennis.

Nikigreat
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Great shots, but he has to improve his mentality. Probable top ten, possible top five.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Another ballbasher. I predict a Berdych-like career for him.

Fumus
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Another ballbasher. I predict a Berdych-like career for him.

Like Tsonga? :)

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
IMO he has awesome finishing power off both wings.

He is a fitter and stronger version of Agassi. The epitome of the modern player. Also, the absence of an obselete one-handed backhand will increase his chances exponentially.

Jimnik
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
The greatest of all time.

Seriously though, I hope he wins a slam or two. It's still too early to tell.

seljanin
08-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Hmm... He certainly has quite a few limitations at the moment. If he doesn't improve them, it could turn out a Berdych-like career, which would not be so bad anyway, IMO.

First of all, I would like to see him mixing it up more from the baseline. Add some more spin, change the pace, etc. Otherwise he is overdoing with hitting the crap out of the ball. I have to acknowledge that there are definite signs that he's improving in this area.

He's got a good BH dropshot (which is his favorite shot), but he tends to become too predictive by overusing this shot. For example, if he runs out of ideas during a rally, he tends to throw a crappy BH dropshot quite often.

Volleying. He has said it himself that he doesn't feel very comfortable at the net. This area needs quite a lot of improvement.

Some minor health issues. Gulbis has minor knee problems. It shouldn't hurt him in a long run, but it's quite an annoying problem in a short run, because his knees start hurting, when they have too much burden on them. Don't really know how to fix them though.

I am no major tennis expert by any means, but these are the major areas, where, I think, Gulbis needs to improve in order to have a more successful career.

Scotso
08-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Definitely the tools to be top 5.

Tennis is sort of a joke right now, almost any clown can make the top 10 with a few fluke results.

But at least it's not as bad as the women's tour, where a player can be #1 without reaching a slam final just by playing a lot. :tape:

bizzle
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
top 20 - yes
top 10 - very possible
top 5 - maybe
#1 = nope

desigundah
04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
This guy was supposed to be the next big thing. In the same class as Cilic and Del Potro. Instead, he is complete shit, getting owned by all kinds of lower level jokers. Whats happened to him?

finishingmove
04-19-2009, 09:53 AM
enjoying the good life.

Bilbo
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
This guy was supposed to be the next big thing.

who said that?

finishingmove
04-19-2009, 09:56 AM
who said that?

clay death.

JMG
04-19-2009, 09:57 AM
btw Is it true that his parents forced him to play tennis, although he wanted to play basketball as a child?

Horatio Caine
04-19-2009, 09:58 AM
There is only so far that a brainless ball-basher can go. :shrug:

When he learns to control his urges and use his brain, he'll start to perform better. When this begins to happen is very much up to him.

GuiroNl
04-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Nothing happened to him that wasn't supposed to happen and nothing did not happen to him that was supposed to happen. He's just overrated, that's all.

bjurra
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
who said that?

Many people did.

Action Jackson
04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Nothing.

Andi-M
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I thought he would have done better than what he has like top 30 but not alot more, he reminds me of Tursunov a BBB that will get some decent wins ocassionally.

Bilbo
04-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Many people did.

where? so called tennis experts?

desigundah
04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
who said that?

Tennis fans, tennis analysts, guys who are paid to discuss the matches, people on this message board. Isn't that a lot of different people related to the game?

ossie
04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
he finally realised he was overrated

Fired Up!
04-20-2009, 07:42 AM
That's what happens when you're hyped like a future top5 but the talent isn't there. :shrug:

Kolya
04-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Too much sex.

Bilbo
04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
he finally realised he was overrated

not as overrated as berdych though

Jōris
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Maybe he's just a late bloomer or a slow learner. He's only twenty.

ossie
04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
not as overrated as berdych thoughaffirmitive, i think if a player is really talented hed seperate himself from the rest of the pack even at a young age like true talents (nadal/murray/djoker)

Jōris
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
affirmitive, i think if a player is really talented hed seperate himself from the rest of the pack even at a young age like true talents (nadal/murray/djoker)

Someone has to be the exception to prove the rule.

Vida
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
his brain is turning into a mash when facing pressure, and he doesn't like it.

Iván
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
For me when his game is on he is a delight to watch

Machiavelli
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
For me when his game is on he is a delight to watch

The match against Andreev at the AO was legendary, A master choke, such brilliance has never been seen, an amateur could not make such bad decisions....

HattonWBA
04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
No chance in hell

docking34
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
absoulute choker this gulbisfreak i dont think this guy will win anything. EVER.