R2: Delpo sends Melzer back to the Alps, beats him 6-3 6-1 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

R2: Delpo sends Melzer back to the Alps, beats him 6-3 6-1 6-4

LocoPorElTenis
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Another solid straight-sets win for JMDP, H2H against Melzer is now 2-0.
Next round is against Nole or Sexy. Very tough but if the kid can keep his level up he'll be a tough challenge for his opponent.

fhiriburu
08-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Vamos Juan!!

Julio1974
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Quite impressive performarnce so far from the "overrated clown". Actually, Federer said JMDP will be in the top ten 10 soon, but I guess Federer is another "overrated clown".:rolleyes:

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM
:) Yea to JMDP for reaching his first grand slam third round. He will have a tough time in the next round aganst Nole or Radek but I hope that he makes a good match of it.

To ask the usual question- for anyone who saw the match- how did his form look?

LocoPorElTenis
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
:) Yea to JMDP for reaching his first grand slam third round. He will have a tough time in the next round aganst Nole or Radek but I hope that he makes a good match of it.

I didn't see the match, but with that scoreline I guess he was not too shabby :) . Something a bit worrying is that he was broken a few times and didn't save a single bp :help: . But Jürgen barely held serve in the last two sets so in the end it didn't matter.

BATES
08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Very nice display by JMDP. Though match for Nole next round (or Radek).

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 06:23 PM
I only saw a few points here and there as I was flicking between courts but it seemed he returned Melzer's serve quite comfortably and the Austrian couldn't win many points coming into the net. At 30-30 in the last game he hit a drop volley and Del Potro got up to the ball fairly easily and lobbed him over his backhand side, ending up hitting a routine volley putaway to get to matchpoint; then Melzer netted a forehand down the line after a short rally and cracked his racket.

*Ljubica*
08-31-2007, 06:30 PM

I saw the match on TV here. JM played well enough, though I have to be honest and say that Melzer was woeful, with way to many unforced errors, so he made it easy for him. JM came to the net a fair amount, and hit some good, crisp volleys, and his movement was good. He started well, but his level dropped a lot in the 3rd set, where they traded breaks worse than any WTA match I have ever seen! More than anything, he seemed very relieved at the end of the match, which is not surprising, as I'm sure after his recent run of losing close matches from winning situations, the thought was on his mind all through the 3rd set. Melzer acted like a spoilt child at the end - bashing his racquet several times on the ground like a 2-year-old having a tantrum! He certainly didn't play to his best level today, and gave JM a pretty easy ride, so I guess he had every right to be frustrated with himself.

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Something a bit worrying is that he was broken a few times and didn't save a single bp :help: . But Jürgen barely held serve in the last two sets so in the end it didn't matter.

I keep waiting for his serve to become more of a factor since he is so tall- but while it may have gotten a bit better, it still seems like there should be a lot more there. I wonder if it would get better if he bulked up a little.

Thanks Rosie and Sjenster for the recaps.

*Ljubica*
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I keep waiting for his serve to become more of a factor since he is so tall- but while it may have gotten a bit better, it still seems like there should be a lot more there. I wonder if it would get better if he bulked up a little.

Thanks Rosie and Sjenster for the recaps.

I can assure you he really is working on his serve, but the problem is that he's still very young, and physically still growing. He may be very tall, but he's still very thin and gangly, and although he is obviously doing lots of gym work to improve his strength, his trainers have to be very careful not to let him put too much pressure on his shoulder by serving too big, while his body is still developing, or this could lead to loads of serious health problems by the time he's 23-24. I think it will be another 3-4 years before he has fully "grown into" his strength and his body, if that makes sense.

VolandriFan
09-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Too easy JM! I'm sensing a potential upset against Nole, but either way, I'm happy. ;)