Blake does it! Defeats Santoro 6-4 3-6 6-2 4-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake does it! Defeats Santoro 6-4 3-6 6-2 4-6 6-4

Marek.
08-31-2007, 04:12 AM
Unbelievable match by both players. A true classic! :worship:

The Freak
08-31-2007, 04:13 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

RickDaStick
08-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Pathetic Blake. Barely beat a old man who could hardly move.

sykotique
Blake won a 5th setter. Santoro totally had that match on his racquet at 4-4 and 3 break points.

Enough to drive a man to religion.

hablovah19
Santoro. :worship:

Loved how the crowd cheered for him. :yeah:

Hated the commentary from Ted Robinson and McEnroe tonight. (Well, I can't stand Robinson anytime. Period.)

Nice touch to interview Santoro after the match as well.

guapogreg08
incredible

JimmyV
That match was just incredible. Seriously no words to describe it.

Langers
Victory by default. Blake didn't deserve to win.

Santoro was amazing.

Fergie
Finally a 5 set match for James :yeah:

Fab! :worship: :worship: :worship:

|-Safin_Coria-|
wooow, tremendous match!
I'd love to see who would've won if Santoro's legs were fine...but amazing match!

Allstar
08-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Fantastic match. Great shame Santoro got cramp. Blake played his usual clueless self in the decider. Great stuff

The Freak
Santoro really was a joke. :o
So much acting.

NYCtennisfan
Unbelieveable defense by Santoro at his age. Blake was clearly choking as he had literally 100's of balls to crush but couldn't do so.

The crowd was clearly in favor of Santoro. In the last game, the J-Block cheered a Santoro fault and the rest of the crowd booed them.

azinna
Whew.

Rumour
08-31-2007, 04:16 AM
Santoro being interviewed now, saying he'd play two more hours even with all the cramping and physical troubles :hug:

ChinoRios4Ever
Fab amazing :worship::worship::worship:

James congrats :yeah: finally a 5 set win

The Freak
Amazing match even with Santoro's acting skills.
First five setter, monkey off the back. :worship:

Grinder
Incredible match, not great play from James but excellent perseverance to close it out and win his first five setter. :worship:

Amazing stuff from Fabrice. :bowdown:

yomeK
YAY!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: Blake, I nearly pooped my pants. And I nearly hit my head on my ceiling fan from jumping like a teen aged girl who just met her favorite boy band group :awww: YAY!!!!

keqtqiadv
Fabrice amazing :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: he almost won the match :haha:

Blake :haha: http://yelims5.free.fr/Violence/Violence06.gif

TMJordan
Poor Fab :sad:

The great Koubek will take Blake to the cleaners.

njnetswill
There will never be another Santoro. He might not have the big titles or slams but his style of play is truly unique. A legend in my book.

Congrats to Blake for finally winning a 5 set match. That was insane.

adingh
The best match of all tournament! Amazing.

Langers
08-31-2007, 04:17 AM
wooow, tremendous match!
I'd love to see who would've won if Santoro's legs were fine...but amazing match!
How do you not know the answer?

Bad Religion
Cramps def Santoro

I'm sick of your luck Flake

El Legenda
Nice choke Santoro.

Langers
So much acting.
You are such a tool.

krakenzero
Anyone wants to become a new believer in Santorism?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW, Blake won his first 5 setter. Against an old crippled french in his home grand slam, but still. Congrats:devil: ...

RickDaStick

Being a fan of Blake's, you should know all about acting skills.

tangerine_dream
08-31-2007, 04:18 AM
A brilliant ending to a brilliant match. The five set monkey is finally off of James' back. :woohoo: Loved every minute of it. Thank you James and Fabrice for giving us another USO classic. :worship:

rogeragassi
Blake's cheering section is getting old and rather annoying.

The Freak
Being a fan of Blake's, you should know all about acting skills.
:rolleyes:

Sleepy24seven
Blake is just amazing =)

The Freak
So many amazing points! :worship:

krakenzero
08-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Nice choke Santoro.

Hey!! Santoro doesn't choke! He's just french! Can't blame him at all:angel: ...

BAMJ6
08-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Well to win a GS title, he has to get the 5 set monkey off his back and he did. Only the best of the best win GS without 1 5 set match.

Now win easier games and save that magic for Big Bad Fed so he gets that 0 fer off his back.

|-Safin_Coria-|
08-31-2007, 04:20 AM
How do you not know the answer?
you're right, my bad hahaha

Mariana_lcf
omg SANTORO:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Langers
Blake's cheering section is getting old and rather annoying.
Agreed. :o They need to go.

Rumour
Unbelieveable defense by Santoro at his age. Blake was clearly choking as he had literally 100's of balls to crush but couldn't do so.

The crowd was clearly in favor of Santoro. In the last game, the J-Block cheered a Santoro fault and the rest of the crowd booed them.
Ah, that's what it was - thought the crowd reaction was rather strong in favour of the Frenchman at such a crucial stage of the match. Actually I barely noticed the J-Block at the end compared to earlier on when everyone else was more subdued and they were being incredibly annoying, chanting for Blake to break and whatnot :rolleyes:

trixtah
Almost shuts up the fucking annoying J-block of turds.

stop posting...no one cares what you have to say, we all wanted Fabrice to win :( !

MCL
08-31-2007, 04:21 AM
This was a very entertaining match to watch. :yeah: Santoro

Good for Blake to finally win a fifth set

Voo de Mar
08-31-2007, 04:21 AM
VdM, Marek P. & tangerine_dream and maybe a few other members have predicted this before US Open :cool:

guga2120
08-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Great win, i thought for sure he would choke.

Allstar
Now sure why J Block was so happy. Blake might have won but that was a pathetic last set from him

2moretogo
the only thing this match was missing was a 5th set tie-break. no words, great performance by each man.

Bad Religion
Almost shuts up the fucking annoying J-block of turds.

They are idiots

Just an idiot can root for Blake

selyoink
:worship: :worship: :worship: Fabrice :worship: :worship: :worship:

Despite the loss you are still a legend. Blake will be forgotten but you never will be.

cellophane
This is really annoying me right now. Last year it was Marcos with the cramps losing to Agassi, this year Fabrice. :fiery: :sad:

I hope Blake loses soon. :o

Sleepy24seven
08-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Blake:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

brent-o
08-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Some of the rallies in the fifth set (which is mainly most of what I caught) were just amazing. Including that crazy lob that James laced with a ton of topspin but Santoro somehow found a way to run it down (when he crashed into the back board thing). Truly classic match.

Foosimoo
08-31-2007, 04:25 AM
I had the pleasure of watching this entire match. Simply amazing! :worship:

Billabong
Well done James, finally a 5-setter victory, and a deserved one! You could see how much he wanted to win that one and would do anything to get it, he stayed strong at the end and kept his game plan! Lots of errors from James, but Santoro didn't give him anything... And both had many crazy winners all over the place! An awesome match overall, an unpredictable classic which ended on a great note:yeah: Congrats to both:worship:

Fensler

Santoro loves to play in front of the Americans.

And the Americans love to watch him play.

It's a happy marriage of cultures when he steps on court at the USO. You see, France and the USA really can get along - thanks to The Magician.

Chaos Inc.
Pathetic by Blake.

Barely able to beat a one legged man in an ass kicking contest..

MisterQ
Wonderful to see Fabrice push Blake to the limit out there. :worship: Some unforgettable points! :eek:

magnoliaewan
08-31-2007, 04:26 AM
OMG, that match was just all kinds of awesome - so entertaining.

Congrats Blake and holy smokes Santoro, I have so much respect. :worship: :worship: :worship:

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 04:26 AM
glad I watched the whole match... great job by both. HATED the commentating in the latter half though.

Congrats to Blake, really proud of the guy.

Marek.
08-31-2007, 04:27 AM
VdM, Marek P. & tangerine_dream and maybe a few other members have predicted this before US Open :cool:

Here's my original post. I DID NOT edit it BTW. I meant to click quote but hit edit first by mistake.:rolleyes:

Before this summer Blake had never come from MP down and now he's done it twice.:eek:

I think he'll win a five setter at the USO this year.

:yeah:

rofe
Blake played some atrocious tennis. He was lucky to get through. This match had no business going to 5 sets. Maybe his 1st 5 set win will make him realize how much better he has to play in the next round.

ChrisDoesDallas
:sobbing: That was one of the most amazing matches I've seen in a looong loong time. One of my top three matches for this year, definitely. Perhaps a USO classic to look back to in the future.

I've loved Santoro since that 05 epic against Federer and he still hasn't lost it. Such an amazing person. I was rooting for Fabrice, but I'm glad James was able to get a 5 set win somewhere.

Sleepy24seven
08-31-2007, 04:28 AM
Well done James, finally a 5-setter victory, and a deserved one! You could see how much he wanted to win that one and would do anything to get it, he stayed strong at the end and kept his game plan! Lots of errors from James, but Santoro didn't give him anything... And both had many crazy winners all over the place! An awesome match overall, an unpredictable classic which ended on a great note:yeah: Congrats to both:worship:

Agree :wavey: Now get some rest James

jcempire
Congrat. to James

First 5-set Match in his career

goodwoman
Great match!!!!! Great from both players. Santoro should get an emmy for that one.

:worship: :worship: :worship: To both players :worship: :worship: :worship:

And :worship: to James for finally getting that monkey off his back!! :worship:

Alex999
08-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Pathetic play from Blake. He is so mentally weak. Santoro deserved to win this match.

Santoro has a lion's heart.

LindsayRulz
08-31-2007, 04:31 AM
What a great match it was! Congrats to both players :worship:

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 04:31 AM
I found it mildly amusing that while Blake was giving his gracious, lengthy speech at the net about how great a match Santoro had played, Santoro was clearly desperate to move away before the pain overtook him again. Pity it had to end in that way with him having the chances to break and failing, but I never thought it would be that close at the start of the match. Santoro's perseverance was remarkable considering how hard it is for him to even win points against Blake's big-hitting style, and he found combinations of play that worked as he got deeper into the match.

Blake still deserves credit for coming through a tight deciding set even with poor tactics, and at 3 hours 25 minutes this first five set win was longer than a few of his five set defeats.

jcempire
08-31-2007, 04:32 AM
I saw huge pressure on James in the fifth Set.

Now, He got enough confidence, He can win second 5-set, Third one.....Again, and Again.

We could see that he play next 5-Set very soon.

He finally take the fear out of the Fifth Set. And Go up to another Level

jcempire
08-31-2007, 04:33 AM
Santoro is the best defense play that I ever see

WF4EVER
08-31-2007, 04:33 AM
It's fucked up when you are playing in your own country and the crowd is cheering for your opponent. I don't blame the J-Block for trying to even things out. America is really one fucked up place.

James played pretty poorly. IMO he could have won that match in 3 sets but he's such a fucking twat.

By the end of the match he looked really really tired as well as scared he'd lose another five setter. Shows the wisdom of playing New Haven after getting to the Cincy final.

James can be so clueless at times, but I'm always happy to see him win. Poor sod.

Godiva
08-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Congrats James! Finally! :haha: :haha: The haters are really cracking me up.

Great effort Fabrice:hug: . Way to show your French brothers how to fight through adversity.

the graduate
08-31-2007, 04:35 AM
what a thriller!so far the best match this year,it had everything suspense,intrigue,fear,thrills and chills...what a match.Fabrice is in a class of his own what a crafty player,he should play Roddick next year and embarrass him.

xtiano
08-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Oh finally Blake in 5
Fabrice :hug:

trixtah
08-31-2007, 04:36 AM
It's fukced up when you are playing in your own country and the crowd is cheering for your opponent. I don't blame the J-Block for trying to even things out. America is really one fucked up place.

James played pretty poorly. IMO he could have won that match in 3 sets but he's such a fucking twat.

by the end of the match he looked really really tired as well as scared he's lose another five setter. Shows the wisdom of playing New Haven after getting to the Cincy final.

James can be so clueless at times, but I'm always happy to see him win. Poor sod.

Didn't watch the match or what? The crowd cheers for those who play their hearts out and in that case it was Fabrice. In addition, the J-Block was fucking annoying and cheering for a break of service against Fabrice and even jeering in between serves. A bunch of hicks if you ask me. The crowd was in its rightful place cheering for Fabrice and against the J-Fags. I feel sorry for Blake to have to endure those morons at every match. Just like your avatar--that's what the J-Block (of shit) deserves.

HNCS
08-31-2007, 04:37 AM
All respect to Santoro :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

but congrats to James on your first five set win!

BRAVO to the Gentlemen.

jcempire
08-31-2007, 04:38 AM
It's fukced up when you are playing in your own country and the crowd is cheering for your opponent. I don't blame the J-Block for trying to even things out. America is really one fucked up place.

by the end of the match he looked really really tired as well as scared he's lose another five setter. Shows the wisdom of playing New Haven after getting to the Cincy final.

No matter, James now got his first 5-set. Great Things was happen. And also, He could win another 5-set match next AO, He doesn't need the crowd to support. That's a great thing, it can make him to win a close match in the other three GS

mangoes
08-31-2007, 04:39 AM
Great Match.........I feel like the US Open finally started:lol: :lol: Congrats to both players. I really wanted Santoro to win:lol: :lol: Nevertheless, Blake:yeah: Congrats on winning your firs 5 setter....

Johnny Groove
08-31-2007, 04:40 AM
Its always amazed me how whenever a great match like this is played, people always must focus on the negative (J-block this, cramps that, choke this, antics that, etc.) :rolleyes:

It was a fantastic match to watch, regardless of who you are rooting for. I just wish more people thought like me.

trixtah
08-31-2007, 04:41 AM
Its always amazed me how whenever a great match like this is played, people always must focus on the negative (J-block this, cramps that, choke this, antics that, etc.) :rolleyes:

It was a fantastic match to watch, regardless of who you are rooting for. I just wish more people thought like me.

Everyone said that it was a great match and then appended a few extras like the J-Fag complaints to the end. It's a discussion board. We don't want 60+ people all sheeping the same "great match!"

General Suburbia
08-31-2007, 04:42 AM
Not a great match; fifth set was pretty crappy, but great drama nonetheless.

Sjengster

I didn't even think about the J-Block until the last point of the match when they showed them cheering just before matchpoint, Santoro had obviously helped keep them quiet. I suppose the questions about injury timeouts for cramp, especially in the middle of games, will always remain. I actually get the feeling that if it had been a player other than Santoro more people in here would be flaming them for cheating.

Johnny Groove

Get the fuck outta here and stop spewing shit about something you know nothing about.

Just enjoy this great match and be happy you were able to witness it. All the other shit is unneeded

Sleepy24seven
08-31-2007, 04:44 AM
No matter, James now got his first 5-set. Great Things was happen. And also, He could win another 5-set match next AO, He doesn't need the crowd to support. That's a great thing, it can make him to win a close match in the other three GS

:D

Johnny Groove
I didn't even think about the J-Block until the last point of the match when they showed them cheering just before matchpoint, Santoro had obviously helped keep them quiet. I suppose the questions about injury timeouts for cramp, especially in the middle of games, will always remain. I actually get the feeling that if it had been a player other than Santoro more people in here would be flaming them for cheating.

Nadal, for instance :rolleyes: If he was in Santoro's place, can you even imagine the bullshit here?

Fensler
It's fukced up when you are playing in your own country and the crowd is cheering for your opponent. I don't blame the J-Block for trying to even things out.

This is because, contrary to popular belief on this board, Americans applaud good tennis, rather than just rooting for their own countrymen. I understand that this is a difficult concept for some posters to believe. American sports fans are often regarded as extreme nationalists, when, by and large, they are not.

Alex999
08-31-2007, 04:45 AM
This was posted on tennis.com. Interesting info.

Roger posted:

Let me remind you that Santoro crushed Pete Sampras 3 times during his career:
This is during Sampras glory years

1991 Rome, Italy Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-2,4-6,7-5
1995 Rome, Italy Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-4,6-3
1998 Monte Carlo Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-1, 6-1 (Talk about a whitewash)

wow, cool stuff

selyoink

Or maybe it just means that the crowd appreciated Santoro's one of kind game over Blake's highly unoriginal game. Plus athletics doesn't have to be about nationalism. No reason to root for a player just because he is from same country if his style of play doesn't appeal to you.

Sjengster
Nadal, for instance :rolleyes: If he was in Santoro's place, can you even imagine the bullshit here?

True, although Nadal would have a way to go to get into a fifth set against Blake of all people. ;)

trixtah
08-31-2007, 04:46 AM
This was posted on tennis.com. Interesting info.

Roger posted:

Let me remind you that Santoro crushed Pete Sampras 3 times during his career:
This is during Sampras glory years

1991 Rome, Italy Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-2,4-6,7-5
1995 Rome, Italy Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-4,6-3
1998 Monte Carlo Santoro defeats Sampras, 6-1, 6-1 (Talk about a whitewash)

wow, cool stuff

Well, on clay but great wins nonetheless.

Johnny Groove
08-31-2007, 04:47 AM
True, although Nadal would have a way to go to get into a fifth set against Blake of all people. ;)

Also true, but just all the extra stuff that happened tonight with the cramps and stuff, and plus him losing. It would be a happy roast :lol:

But regardless, great match again :yeah:

tangerine_dream
08-31-2007, 04:50 AM
This is because, contrary to popular belief on this board, Americans applaud good tennis, rather than just rooting for their own countrymen. I understand that this is a difficult concept for some posters to believe. American sports fans are often regarded as extreme nationalists, when, by and large, they are not.
^^ I swear to God this person is not my alias. Well said, Fensler.

I think the J-Block actually managed to do the near impossible tonight: annoy the rest of the crowd so bad that they ended up getting booed themselves in the process. Bahaha.

Also, I'm all for cheering for likeable American players like Blake but chanting "U-S-A!" is too much. This isn't Davis Cup.

akosiirwyn
08-31-2007, 04:50 AM

I know! it's so annoying how so many people can't just appreciate the way the matches are played.

It was an amazing match. Good for James, finally breaking through. And Fabrice was amazing :worship:

Marek.
08-31-2007, 04:51 AM
It does seem like there are more negative repsonses than posititve ones in this thread. :sad:

WF4EVER
Or maybe it just means that the crowd appreciated Santoro's one of kind game over Blake's highly unoriginal game. Plus athletics doesn't have to be about nationalism. No reason to root for a player just because he is from same country if his style of play doesn't appeal to you.

LMAO. Roddick immediately comes to mind.

Give me a break.

I've seen Venus Williams treated the very same way playing Amelie MAuresmo at the same USOpen in 2004.

Please. You can appreciate a player's style of play without making your countryman feel like you'd rather see him lose than win. And don't tell me a crowd of that many people in America are not obligated to support James. What are the odds?

Oh, yeah right.

Bremen
those 3 break points at 4-4...what can I say?

I had never before seen Fabrice play, now I know why he is called the Magician. Amazing performance, I'm glad a huge audience got to see what he can do.

By the way, Blake isn't beating Federer playing like that...

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 04:52 AM

yep. again I use the Vince Spadea example. Would people really care if the crowd rooted for Roger Federer in a match against Spadea? Or do those complainers care more about the fact that the crowd was rooting for the opponent of an American they like?

Sleepy24seven
08-31-2007, 05:01 AM
this probably will be the match of the championships this year! It was awesome!

gillian
08-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Blake irritates me. No reason for this match to go five sets. Glad he won, but I think he made it unecessarily hard on himself, which is typical.

Of course, it's not a late-night USO match without cramping and controversy.

Fensler
08-31-2007, 05:07 AM
this probably will be the match of the championships this year! It was awesome!

From a drama and entertainment perspective, yes, it probably will be.

But from a pure tennis standpoint, I'll just say "maybe." At least some demerit must be assigned to any hardcourt match that includes that many service breaks. Certain stretches were rather WTA-esque.

That said, I give big-time "props" to both players (especially Santoro) for putting on such an exciting, hard-fought match. Even non-tennis sports fans would've enjoyed that marathon.

krystlel
08-31-2007, 05:10 AM
That was a very entertaining match to watch and very exciting. The effort that Santoro puts in each and every rally is just incredible and there were many gruelling rallies out there. Blake's backhand really got tentative midway in the fifth set and his forehand volley was looking dodgy throughout the match. Seeing all of Santoro's slices slowly go into Blake's backhand corner in the latter stages of the fifth set must have been very nervewracking for him. About midway through the match, Santoro started mixing up things better which was fun to watch.

I was surprised that the crowd were clearly cheering for Santoro especially at a time when you think Blake could use some support. I'm not saying it's strange that they showed appreciation for Santoro, more that they seemed to clearly favour him over Blake.

Rumour
08-31-2007, 05:14 AM
Don't think anyone's even mentioned it yet but IMO the key point of the match was at 4-4 in the fifth set when Blake was struggling to hold, think it had gotten to the fourth deuce or so before Santoro got another of several BPs in that game. They played an amazing rally that James finally won and poor Fabrice was gutted - could be wrong but I think these pics may have been taken then:

The thrill of victory...

http://tinypic.com/4r101zl.jpg

...and the agony of defeat.

http://tinypic.com/4ot3db9.jpg

Fensler
08-31-2007, 05:15 AM
I was surprised that the crowd were clearly cheering for Santoro especially at a time when you think Blake could use some support. I'm not saying it's strange that they showed appreciation for Santoro, more that they seemed to clearly favour him over Blake.

Again, Americans love The Magician. I've seen it time and time again. Tonight, they weren't cheering against Blake so much as they were cheering for Santoro's amazing display of tennis skill and showmanship.

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 05:17 AM
I think the J-Block actually managed to do the near impossible tonight: annoy the rest of the crowd so bad that they ended up getting booed themselves in the process. Bahaha.

Also, I'm all for cheering for likeable American players like Blake but chanting "U-S-A!" is too much. This isn't Davis Cup.

Yeah- I mean they just sound like meatheads. I was thinking during the match that if they were more melodic and had songs they would be more tolerable. :lol: And they look angry and/or like they have had a case of beer each time they show them. I like James- I just don't like his friends. And one of the writers at Tennis World said that in the first round match- folks were getting irked by when- for example- James was correct in a challenge and the J-Block chanted "Har-vard! Har-vard!"

And don't tell me a crowd of that many people in America are not obligated to support James.

I disagree that nationality always obligates cheering for a player at the expense of another. I have always had my faves based on tennis and how much I enjoy watching them first and then nationality second. If it is not Davis Cup- I do not let the passport of the player determine where they are on my favorites scale. I know a lot of folks do root for the countrymen first and foremost- and I totally understand that. But since tennis is such an individual and international sport- I think fans can be charmed, have faves and root for players who are not necessarily from their country. Nationality does not obligate me to have my pecking order of faves be USA downwards. I may be mistaken, but I don't think I am alone -regardless of the nationality of the fan. For example- if Federer played Fish- I would root for Feds, because he is one of my faves. :) And USO crowds are notorious for rooting for the feisty underdog- regardless of nationality- if they enjoy their play. It happens in matches with no one from the US and matches with folks from the US.

But onto the positives- to make Jonathan happy. ;) What a fun match. Not always high quality but darn entertaining. Kudos to Fabrice for making it so much fun and kudos to James for getting his first 5 set win. Enjoyable to watch.

What is the criteria for being on the seniors tour? I heard Courier mumbling something about needing a certain rank during the Murray/Bjorkman match. I think Fabrice would be an asset on the senior tour. And hope that he continues to wear clothing inspired by Life Savers/Fruit Stripe gum.

nobama
08-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Blake played some atrocious tennis. He was lucky to get through. This match had no business going to 5 sets. Maybe his 1st 5 set win will make him realize how much better he has to play in the next round.Yeah I don't understand why just because a match goes 5 sets it's considered a "classic".

Rumour
08-31-2007, 05:24 AM

The J-Block tonight - what a charming and oh-so-lovable bunch:

http://tinypic.com/504u042.jpg

sierra91
08-31-2007, 05:34 AM
Don't think anyone's even mentioned it yet but IMO the key point of the match was at 4-4 in the fifth set when Blake was struggling to hold, think it had gotten to the fourth deuce or so before Santoro got another of several BPs in that game. They played an amazing rally that James finally won and poor Fabrice was gutted - could be wrong but I think these pics may have been taken then:

The thrill of victory...

http://tinypic.com/4r101zl.jpg

...and the agony of defeat.

http://tinypic.com/4ot3db9.jpg

Agreed. That was one of the most dramatic games I've ever seen.

Also, the person who posted about Americans not just rooting for Americans, that's been my experience at tournaments here. Even in Cincy, people were applauding Ferrer as he picked Roddick apart. It's the fucking TV networks that are focused on the American players to a fault. And the USTA doesn't help. Just look at the scheduling on AA and Armstrong and the outer courts. I'd prefer if there were no women at the slams but, since there are, would it kill attendance if Ivanovic or Janjovic (I'm too tired to look up how to spell their names) got an early round night match instead of Sharapova and the Williams sisters? HELP!

P.S. I realize Sharapova isn't an American, but we all know the reason why she gets prime time (remember the acronym for ESPN from a year or two ago)

mangoes
08-31-2007, 05:37 AM
It's fucked up when you are playing in your own country and the crowd is cheering for your opponent. I don't blame the J-Block for trying to even things out. America is really one fucked up place.

By the end of the match he looked really really tired as well as scared he'd lose another five setter. Shows the wisdom of playing New Haven after getting to the Cincy final.

One of the really nice things about the US Open is that the crowd cheers for the player who puts it all on the line. Santoro did just that tonight. The cheers aren't based only on nationality as in other countries. Plus, the J-Block had quite a bit to do with the crowd supporting Santoro.

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
For all the crap that American fans get, there are very few places where the home crowd will root for the opponent of their home player who in this case was Blake, the U.S.'s 2nd best player. The USO crowd was also cheering for Muller when he was beating Roddick just a few year back,

Fensler
08-31-2007, 05:49 AM
For all the crap that American fans get, there are very few places where the home crowd will root for the opponent of their home player who in this case was Blake, the U.S.'s 2nd best player. The USO crowd was also cheering for Muller when he was beating Roddick just a few year back,

Correct.

...Yet American sports fans are still accused of being narrow-minded nationalists, even when the evidence suggests otherwise.

doublebackhand
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Congrats James for first ever 5-set win! A pity i couldnt watch the match but i wanna believe that it was a good match. Hope this will infuse more self-belief in him and help him perform better at the slams :)

As for the J-block, they chanted Har-vard Har-vard?? geez, they still think its some NCAA match, no wonder everyone says the harvard grads are so full of themselves.

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2007, 05:55 AM
On another note, the actual tennis in this match was rather marginal from Blake. Anyone who watches a replay of the match devoid of the tension involved, they'll see this. All of Blake's issues were really brought to the forefornt here as he was unable to unleash his FH on numerous easy balls from Santoro. You do have to give him credit for not hitting errors on the BP's Santoro had at 4-4 in the 5th set. The old Blake would've caved, but the new Blake hung tough, hit good but not great FH's, and forced Santoro to pass him, made some good volleys and winds up with the win.

Action Jackson
Congrats to Blake for finally winning his 1st 5 setter and Santoro while he gave a good show, it's not good enough to cramp after 2 and a half hours of tennis. As for the match it was entertaining and while Santoro couldn't get the W, he played his part in the match and as for Blake, well done on taking the 1st match point he had.

dylan24
james is such a tool.
barely could beat a cripple in 5th set.
if he couldn't win this match, maybe the could let james play someone in a wheelchair
and beat them in a 5th set.
federer is going to rip james a new one if they meet in SF

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Congrats James for first ever 5-set win! A pity i couldnt watch the match but i wanna believe that it was a good match. Hope this will infuse more self-belief in him and help him perform better at the slams :)

As for the J-block, they chanted Har-vard Har-vard?? geez, they still think its some NCAA match, no wonder everyone says the harvard grads are so full of themselves.

Believe me as someone with quite a bit of knowledge about this, they are...they definitely are. :)

sierra91
08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Believe me as someone with quite a bit of knowledge about this, they are...they definitely are. :) And if you think they're bad, try sitting through any college or grad school class taught by a Yale graduate.:rolleyes: :drool:

doublebackhand
08-31-2007, 06:05 AM
james is such a tool.
barely could beat a cripple in 5th set.
if he couldn't win this match, maybe the could let james play someone in a wheelchair
and beat them in a 5th set.
federer is going to rip james a new one if they meet in SF

fed has ripped so many new ones that there is barely anywhere left...:p

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2007, 06:06 AM
And if you think they're bad, try sitting through any college or grad school class taught by a Yale graduate.:rolleyes: :drool:

Um...I'm a Yale graduate. :)

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 06:08 AM

It can be true- although I have met (and am friends with two) lovely folks who are graduates of that institution. But by far- Harvard is one of the places where I tend to be annoyed a bit by the collective group of fellow Harvard friends of my friends/siblings who are alums. Same with Duke* - and the Kellogg School of Management.

*When I went to a Duke basketball game with my brother at Cameron- the Dookie students had a charming chant of "that's all right, that's okay- you will work for me someday" when the opposing team did something good.

No offense to any alums of these institutions- I have met many good eggs there and I went to undergrad at the place that will spawn what will likely be a very annoying "Woof, woof, woof!" during the Feds/Isner match. :)

Topic- yeah- great match.

Fensler
08-31-2007, 06:16 AM

Operating under the supposition that you and your fellow Ivy Leaguers are superior to all other humans is an essential part of any Ivy Leaguer's existence.

Of course, I'm probably just jealous.

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Operating under the supposition that you and your fellow Ivy Leaguers are superior to all other humans is an essential part of any Ivy Leaguer's existence.

:lol:

Rumour
08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Also, the person who posted about Americans not just rooting for Americans, that's been my experience at tournaments here. Even in Cincy, people were applauding Ferrer as he picked Roddick apart. It's the fucking TV networks that are focused on the American players to a fault. And the USTA doesn't help. Just look at the scheduling on AA and Armstrong and the outer courts.
While I've sadly yet to attend any tennis tournament in person, I am totally inclined to agree with you that most American fans are more than capable of appreciating players of any background or nationality. The US entertainment media, on the other hand, is probably the worst industry in terms of being almost incapable of looking beyond its cultural or geographical borders. The closest it comes to interacting with the outside world is buying foreign movie scripts and TV show formats to remake, or rather Americanize because heaven forbid a general audience should have to read subtitles or listen to a different accent :rolleyes:

The big business suits and powers that be are the ones who perpetuate the 'America first' stereotype by pursuing the most casual fan, or even non-fan, whom they are convinced - perhaps with good reason - won't be hooked into watching content that lacks a local connection. Quite frankly, they don't care about the serious followers or even the semi-regular but flexible folks who are willing to watch just about anything if they're in the mood. It's the elusive, hard-to-get crowd that are chased and catered to at the expense of those who actually care.

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 06:27 AM

Not all Ivy Leaguers- folks from Brown are normally artsy fartsy and wanna be "open" and Penn and Dartmouth grads are happy when you say "Hey- Ivy League!" as they seem to be the forgotten two universities of the IL by the general populace. It is similar to the effect if you say "Hey- Seven Sisters!!" to a graduate of Smith or Bryn Mawr.

At least in my experience. :)

JBdV
08-31-2007, 06:35 AM
:worship: to both players. I had a feeling when this match was drawn it would be Blake's 1st ever 5 set win with Fab giving him a lot to handle, and it didn't disappoint. Too bad Fab had cramps at the end but I'm so proud of him for fighting to the last point. I really hope this isn't the last time we see him in a slam.

trixtah
08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
And don't tell me a crowd of that many people in America are not obligated to support James.

Hello? Do you know how diverse that crowd, especially in New York, is?

MrChopin
08-31-2007, 06:54 AM
The J-Block tonight - what a charming and oh-so-lovable bunch:

http://tinypic.com/504u042.jpg

I find the bald guy in the back right particularly hilarious, however, the most visibly annoying J-Block member, by far, is not present in the photo: the blond-haired, burn-tanned surfer guy that has recently sat in the far right of the block. He is pointed out in the photo below:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/Mr_Chopin/j_block.jpg?t=1188542770

Anyway, it was probably the most exciting match thus far, and as a semi-Blake fan (slowly fading), I was rooting 100% for Fabrice. Yet for quality, Roger's match last night was way better. In retrospect, I hope that this is not the classic match of USO '07.

Fensler
08-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Not all Ivy Leaguers- folks from Brown are normally artsy fartsy and wanna be "open" and Penn and Dartmouth grads are happy when you say "Hey- Ivy League!" as they seem to be the forgotten two universities of the IL by the general populace. It is similar to the effect if you say "Hey- Seven Sisters!!" to a graduate of Smith or Bryn Mawr.

At least in my experience. :)

My comments were partly of the tongue-in-cheek variety.

re: people from Brown.

I do agree with the artsy-fartsy characterization. That's not always a bad trait.

However, in my experience, the whole "open" aspect often fades with Brown grads as soon as they're forced to interact with the "little people" of the world. And by "little people," I'm not referring to Warwick Davis and Oli Rochus.

Also, I hope what you say about Penn and Dartmouth folks is pervasively true. Such an attitude would present a nice contrast to the lordliness of many other Ivy Leaguers. At the same time, though, these Penn and Dartmouth people - like me - are probably just too low-bred to comprehend the choiceness of a Harvard Man/Woman.

BlakeJamitis
08-31-2007, 06:59 AM
WOW WOW WOW ... I was at this match. I screamed until I was almost hoarse trying to root my boy JB to victory. James' game wasn't there tonight but he fought through a horrible 1st serve percentage and countless, senseless errors to win over the crafty Santoro. MUCH CONGRATS BLAKE. Thanks for making my 1st attended US Open exciting & the most fun I've had at a sporting event in a long minute!!!

sierra91
08-31-2007, 07:02 AM

You're absolutely right. Hoping to increase his approval ratings, Bush had all those who didn't support James arrested immediately after the match, charged as enemy combatants, and shipped to Guantanamo Bay.:smoke:

Fensler
08-31-2007, 07:23 AM
You're absolutely right. Hoping to increase his approval ratings, Bush had all those who didn't support James arrested immediately after the match, charged as enemy combatants, and shipped to Guantanamo Bay.:smoke:

Careful. Despite the obvious sarcastic tone of your post, someone will:

1) accept your words about the evil USA as fact
2) start a thread about them on MTF's non-tennis forum (i.e., "Bush imprisons dissenting tennis fans!" or "USA to execute anyone who doesn't like Blake!")
-and-
3) watch as legions of posters jump into the thread, accept your words as fact, and furiously purge all of their anti-American feelings in the midst of a 20-page verbal melee - replete with rolleyes and "mad" emoticons, of course.

It could happen.

sierra91
08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
:rolls:

mrserenawilliams
08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
:sobbing: I'm so happy....so happy :sobbing:

Ays25
08-31-2007, 08:01 AM
too bad fabrice failed to convert on those 3 break points at 4-4 in the 5th set
he had chances on all 3 points.
then he lost his serve from 30-0

Hagar
08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
WOW WOW WOW ... I was at this match. I screamed until I was almost hoarse trying to root my boy JB to victory. James' game wasn't there tonight but he fought through a horrible 1st serve percentage and countless, senseless errors to win over the crafty Santoro. MUCH CONGRATS BLAKE. Thanks for making my 1st attended US Open exciting & the most fun I've had at a sporting event in a long minute!!!

Lucky you.
I love the atmosphere of the night matches at the US Open. Even just watching TV, one can sense the vibes. Yeah, the crowd is loud and sometimes brutal but it's just part of the particular atmosphere of this tournament. That's why I also don't find the J-Block annoying.

delsa
08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
So much acting.

How can someone say that?... You obviously don't know him...:rolleyes:

Iheartandy&roger
08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
That was a great match, I wish I could have been somewhere in those stands!

marcRD
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Santoro will be a tennis legend in my book. The little magician has produced more great legendary matches than many greas have done in their whole career. HE has so much hearth and really is a genius, if tennis was an art and not a sport he would probably be the greatest tennis artist in the world.

Bilbo
08-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Blake could barely move at the end of the match. He's tired as hell.

Chris Seahorse
08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Santoro will be a tennis legend in my book. The little magician has produced more great legendary matches than many greas have done in their whole career. HE has so much hearth and really is a genius, if tennis was an art and not a sport he would probably be the greatest tennis artist in the world.

In a thread with many great contributions this one stands out. That last sentence expresses something I have felt for a long time but have never been able to express it as well as you just did.

nhissan
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
lol@ all James haters in this thread it started at post #4 :rolleyes:

Anyway great victory first five set win against a great opponent.

scoobs
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Poor Fabrice.

It's a sad epithet on your career to be remembered as the guy Blake broke his 5 set duck on, at long last.

Well done James, though :)

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 09:36 AM

One of the greatest artists, not the greatest, but he will be missed when he decides to retire whenever that is.

Meeek
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Very very entertaining match :bigclap: :)

Doggy
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
this match was delicious. I would eat both players! :drool:

Bilbo
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Crafty Koubek will rip Blake a new one. He's that type of player Blake hates to play and with his tiredness he has slim chances anyway.

dj_mercury
08-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Another great night session performance for Santoro? Also against Federer two-three years ago he played a really good match and pleased the crowd with his "magic" tricks. Are the highlights available somewhere?

Stensland
08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
did someone from europe watch this? when did it end? 6 am?

Andre♥
08-31-2007, 10:15 AM
The day after Santoro retires, I'll open a petition to put him in the Hall of Fame.

This guy is simply God.

Jaap
08-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Lucky mug, this James Fake.

Viken01
08-31-2007, 11:01 AM
The day after Santoro retires, I'll open a petition to put him in the Hall of Fame.

This guy is simply God.

So true :worship:
Tennis will miss Santoro, I want to watch this match !!

adingh
08-31-2007, 11:05 AM
did someone from europe watch this? when did it end? 6 am? Yes, few minutes after 6 :)

Byrd
08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
I fell a sleep after the 2nd set, can't believe I missed this...

Laura12
08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Ah, I'm so tired. I watched it all, only to have to get up 5 hours later (and in my already sleep-deprived state, that's not much time). But it was a fantastic match, I'm glad I watched. I really wanted Fabrice to win, but well, at least he played a great match. :worship:
And congrats to Blake for winning his first five-setter. :)

uglyamerican
08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Please. You can appreciate a player's style of play without making your countryman feel like you'd rather see him lose than win. And don't tell me a crowd of that many people in America are not obligated to support James. What are the odds?

Obligated by what?

My attitude was to cheer for Santoro because I didn't think he had a real chance at winning the match. He needs to have some good matches to keep him out on tour.

5 more years on tour Fabrice!

Blake should make the SF.

Yappa
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
With Santoro playing, you just know that it'll be a fantastic match. The way he plays those long lobs to get back into the rally, is extraordinary.

Congrats Blake for not making too many UEs, when it mattered.

But I am disappointed. I wanted to see a Santoro win on a big stage. Apart from the RG epic against Clement, I only remember 5 sets losses against top 20 players. When was the last time, Santoro scored a big 5th sets win?

Stensland
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
we're getting closer to haas-blake in the fourth round. man, what a match... :D

Burrow
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
F*** Fabrice should have had it, end of second set, some of his shots were worthy of the ATP Play of the week.

MisterQ
08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
It can be true- although I have met (and am friends with two) lovely folks who are graduates of that institution. But by far- Harvard is one of the places where I tend to be annoyed a bit by the collective group of fellow Harvard friends of my friends/siblings who are alums. Same with Duke* - and the Kellogg School of Management.

*When I went to a Duke basketball game with my brother at Cameron- the Dookie students had a charming chant of "that's all right, that's okay- you will work for me someday" when the opposing team did something good.

Oh man, that's so obnoxious. :eek:

I have met people who actively seemed to avoid mentioning they went to Harvard, perhaps because of these very conceptions. There's so much baggage (good and bad) in saying you went there.

Back to the match, I'm really glad for Fabrice that he had a chance to display his full range of gifts to a large stage again. I think of all the great matches of his that I have missed over the years because our networks are more focused on the "stars".

Kolya
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Santoro :(

Blake you lucky bastard... :lol:

Chris Seahorse
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
What is the criteria for being on the seniors tour? I heard Courier mumbling something about needing a certain rank during the Murray/Bjorkman match. I think Fabrice would be an asset on the senior tour. And hope that he continues to wear clothing inspired by Life Savers/Fruit Stripe gum.

When and if Fabrice decides to join the senior tour, and let's hope that he stays on the main tour for a few more years first, Fabrice will be eligible based on his success in the Davis Cup final. And yes, he will be a huge huge asset to that tour if he does join it.

rocketassist
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Bravo to both players. I stayed up till just after 5am watching this, outstanding match. :worship:

jmp
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
This was a very entertaining match. I fell asleep during the matches of the previous two evenings, but, I managed to hang on for this one. It was well worth it.

This was a good time for James to get his first five set win.

As usual Fabrice played great as well as being a 'good' guy.

cobalt60
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Ooh I can't wait to watch it :devil:

thrust
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Great entertaining match! Was rooting for both of them, though I am glad Blake won. I also thought McEnroe was a bith harsh towards Sanotoro. He played within the rules, and had to be hurting. A 35 YO little guy against a young strong player has to be tough for a 2 setter, never mind a 5 setter. The crowd seemed very fond of Fabrice during the match, which was nice to see. The J Block really annoyed me tonight tough.

RickDaStick
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I havent read all 11 pages but i dont think ive seen anyone mention that BS foot fault call on Santoro in his last service game. He hit an ace which would of given him 40-0. They should let players challenge foot faults as a player can get screwed on a call like that just as much as on any other.

goodwoman
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
I havent read all 11 pages but i dont think ive seen anyone mention that BS foot fault call on Santoro in his last service game. He hit an ace which would of given him 40-0. They should let players challenge foot faults as a player can get screwed on a call like that just as much as on any other.

I think it was a good call. My husband and I had been commenting on what looked to be foot faults prior to that, and this one looked legitimate. Just our viewpoints from watching on tv.

Merton
08-31-2007, 03:10 PM
High drama in this match, it should never have reached the 5th set to begin with but then again James is the chairman of the Grandmaster Association. Fabrice lacked match practice on hard this year, he was outconditioned in the end, that proved decisive. Congrats to James for breaking his 5-set jinx, that was the ideal setting for him to do it.

tangerine_dream
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Any highlights from this match yet? My recording stopped at 11:00pm and just my luck, it was during that great point at 4-4 in the fifth. :mad: :ras: :sobbing: :silly:

mrserenawilliams
08-31-2007, 05:17 PM

are you KIDDING?! :o

tangerine_dream
08-31-2007, 05:42 PM
I think somebody asked about this earlier. I found a highlights video of Santoro/Federer from the 2005 USO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1au7y4rUOM&NR=1

cath777
08-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I love the following quote :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6971612.stm

"He (Blake) said 'It's amazing what you're doing at your age'. I said 'Thank you, my son'."
The wizened Santoro reveals that his wit remains sharp despite his venerable age (he's 34)

RonE
08-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Lucky number 10 :D ;)

World Beater
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
blake's effort over 5 sets was pathetic. He really should have won this match in 4 sets at the most. Even though this match will register as five-set win for blake, i didnt get the feeling that the match was truly out of reach for james. He was always winning this match.

Veronique
08-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Congrats to James for finally winning a 5 setter and to Santoro for giving the USO crowd another night match to remember.

musefanatic
08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Well done to both of them, Fab for taking it to 5 sets, and to Blake for winning him :)

Timariot
09-01-2007, 06:11 PM
For a journeyman who has never won any big titles or broken to top 10, Santoro is sure giving people lots to remember...