Did I hear Ted Robinson right (Re: Gaudio) ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did I hear Ted Robinson right (Re: Gaudio) ?

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 03:55 AM
Need clarification here. Ted Robinson was talking about Santoro's wins over top-10 players. He went on to mention Santoro's win over Gaston Gaudio (ranked 10 at the time) at the '06 Australian Open, but apparently that "doesn't count" to Robinson.

Did I hear that right and Robinson was being an ass, or did I hear it wrong?

rmb6687
08-31-2007, 03:57 AM
no, he said that and the John called him out on it.

Why would he say that though?

njnetswill
08-31-2007, 03:58 AM
Ted Robinson is an idiot who doesn't know anything about tennis. As much as Gaudio sucks now, who is he to judge what "counts" and what does not? :retard:

Where do American networks find these people? :confused: I have never been this annoyed with commentators for any other sport.

Marek.
08-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Ted Robinson is a tool.

RagingLamb
08-31-2007, 04:05 AM
that's pretty rude if he did say that. sure, maybe a lot of people think that, but to come out and say it on TV is rude.

rmb6687
08-31-2007, 04:07 AM
My question is why would a lot of people think that, let alone Ted Robinson.

ServeAlready81
08-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Ted Robinson is worthless.

mrserenawilliams
08-31-2007, 04:11 AM
Ted = :retard:

plain and simple.

FiBeR
08-31-2007, 04:13 AM
:retard: :smash:

MCL
08-31-2007, 04:13 AM
Ted Robinson is an idiot who doesn't know anything about tennis.

Ted Robinson is a tool.

Ted Robinson is worthless.

:yeah: all of that

Ted Robinson needs to be banned from commentating. I thought I could listen to him in small doses but now I've heard too much.

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 04:17 AM
My question is why would a lot of people think that, let alone Ted Robinson.

the notion that the '04 French was a fluke?

the fact that Gaudio is almost nowhere to be found now?

the fact Gaudio's success has been on clay?

not my reasons, but possibly what Robinson might think. It was just a stupid thing to say. Glad McEnroe called him on it.

rmb6687
08-31-2007, 04:22 AM
ted has been so annoying this entire match. Insinuating that he was faking the pain in his leg and then that comment about the french open. ugh...stfu already.

did anyone else feel weird about the things that john is saying too tho? Calling fabrice 'crafty' and 'tricky'? I mean, maybe i'm just thinking about it too much.

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 04:42 AM
ted has been so annoying this entire match. Insinuating that he was faking the pain in his leg and then that comment about the french open. ugh...stfu already.

did anyone else feel weird about the things that john is saying too tho? Calling fabrice 'crafty' and 'tricky'? I mean, maybe i'm just thinking about it too much.

agreed. McEnroe even called Santoro's 2nd serve ace a trick. If Santoro excels at ANYTHING at this point in the match, he's automatically faking. ridiculous.

Fedex
08-31-2007, 04:43 AM
The guy is a first class MORON. Nothing more needs to be said on this issue.

Regenbogen
08-31-2007, 04:45 AM

Everyone calls Santoro stuff like that though, just to describe his style of play. But I wasn't paying attention so I don't know how he meant it.

El Legenda
08-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Ted is your father.

darnyelb
08-31-2007, 04:58 AM
Ted is your father.

No wonder I'm bug-eyed and feeling clueless right about now.

robinhood
08-31-2007, 05:04 AM
This is an amazing match.
I think ever since Fabrice didn't sit down during the changeover to stretch his thighs, JMac and Robinson have laid off on him.

hablovah19
08-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Ted Robinson is an idiot.

I wish he would be banned from commentating tennis matches. He was just as irritating during Sharapova's match.

bluefork
08-31-2007, 05:14 AM
Have you noticed how Ted always says "Never in my life have I seen anything like..."? Like "Never in my life have I seen a player like John Isner" or "Never in my life have I seen crowds like this" or "Never in my life have I seen salads like they have in the food court here." Listen for it.

ghstwrld
08-31-2007, 05:41 AM
This isn't really too suprising. Ted seemlessly wavers from a naive "What is a tennis ball?" persona to a total asshole during matches.

Sjengster
08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
It would seem Ted doesn't count as a legitimate commentator either.

Fensler
08-31-2007, 05:49 AM
It would seem Ted doesn't count as a legitimate commentator either.

Note to Ted Robinson: don't read MTF tonight.

trixtah
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
No wonder I'm bug-eyed and feeling clueless right about now.

lol

At least there's someone who actually knows tennis sitting next to him to shut him up :/

Alex999
08-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Ted is a retard.

Doggy
08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Ted Robinson is so yellow right now. What disease does he have?

MissMoJo
08-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Have you noticed how Ted always says "Never in my life have I seen anything like..."? Like "Never in my life have I seen a player like John Isner" or "Never in my life have I seen crowds like this" or "Never in my life have I seen salads like they have in the food court here." Listen for it.
:haha: "Never in my life have I seen a tennis player as quiet as Federer on the court" is a Fed match commentating staple of his. Every match, and said in complete wonderment each time.

He's useless and annoying.

Marek.
08-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Ted Robinson is such a tool.

Clara Bow
08-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Get rid of Ted and Al and bring back Chris Fowler and Daren Cahill. Fowler has his college football coverage- but can't the sports share? Why isn't Cahill on the team?

sierra91
08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Ted Robinson is an idiot who doesn't know anything about tennis. As much as Gaudio sucks now, who is he to judge what "counts" and what does not? :retard:

Where do American networks find these people? :confused: I have never been this annoyed with commentators for any other sport.

Don't get me started. Listen to Enberg's commentary during the Federer/Roddick SF at OZ this year and you'll want to shoot yourself in the head just to end the misery. Tennis commentators here are such idiots. I hate when people in Europe complain. I've heard some commentating there and Mats got a bit full of himself during a FO match (probably drunk) but, even at his worst, he was head and shoulders above any of these Americans. Bring back Tony Trabert. He was the only one who knew his ass from his elbow.

ae wowww
08-31-2007, 08:27 AM
:D Ted Robinson depreciation thread! Yay!

VolandriFan
08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
the notion that the '04 French was a fluke?

Gaudio was still in the top 10 after his RG points had came off. So even discounting that "fluke", Gaudio was still a top 10 player. Robinson is out of his mind :rolleyes:

TenHound
08-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Robinson's presence in the booth is prob. hard coded into JMac's contract. He's got the softest lips on JMac's cock in the industry. Listen to him - it's obscene.

Andre♥
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
He has won as many Grand Slams as Andy Roddick... :scratch:

And Roddick's GS win was a bigger fluke than Gaudio's RG win.

ghstwrld
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Robinson's presence in the booth is prob. hard coded into JMac's contract. He's got the softest lips on JMac's cock in the industry. Listen to him - it's obscene.

:haha: :haha: :eek: :worship:

Ted Robinson teamed with Tracy Austin is a lethal combination. They're worst than a sewing circle.

jmp
08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Ted really does bother me as a commentator most of the time. I think it's because he's with JMac on NBC and he does cater to John as a previous poster already noted. I thought he was much less annoying during the US Open Series coverage, however. Maybe that was because he was teamed with other people besides JMac. His crush on Tracy is 'interesting'. ;)

Over the past few years I often think how amazing it is that both Ted and Mary C. make a very fine living from what they've been doing for over 20 years. I want to get paid for the insightful observations I make about tennis in my living room. hehe

I'd like to know why he dissed Fabrice's win over Gaudio, too. Did Gaston retire?

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I'd like to know why he dissed Fabrice's win over Gaudio, too. Did Gaston retire?

Actually one of the best matches I have seen in ages, high quality play from 2 very talented players played in a great spirit and Gaudio was up a break in the 5th, coming back from 2 sets down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t98-u3ffjQ

Pea
08-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Robinson has something against claycourters, That is all.

jmp
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the link, George. :) What a great point! :yeah:

Grinder
08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
He has won as many Grand Slams as Andy Roddick... :scratch:

And Roddick's GS win was a bigger fluke than Gaudio's RG win.

:spit:

Just like Querrey was a walkover for Youzhny right? :retard:

He's probably still crying his eyes out over Isner beating Nieminen. :lol:

bluefork
08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
The statistic itself was stupid. It wasn't how many wins Santoro has against top ten players, it was how many wins Santoro has against top ten players at the slams. They said he had two (but only one that counts, according to Ted).

Was this stat meant to somehow diminish Santoro's career? Because, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Andy Roddick only have two wins against top ten players at the slams also? Why don't they ever bring that up on American TV?

tangerine_dream
08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Ted Robinson teamed with Tracy Austin is a lethal combination. They're worst than a sewing circle.
Oh man, are they ever. :o

Andre♥
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
:spit:

Just like Querrey was a walkover for Youzhny right? :retard:

He's probably still crying his eyes out over Isner beating Nieminen. :lol:

My disappointment has passed already. Nieminen pretty much sucks nowadays and Youzhny can get bagelled by Darcis, so he can lose to anybody on a bad day.

Now watching your fave losing 7:6 6:1 6:1 against Koubek in hardcourt must be :sad:

tenniswheels
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM

I thought Johnny Mac was pretty funny last night.

Did you hear what he said after Santoro missed an lob. They were talking about how Santoro might of twisted his back or something and Johnny goes something like "it really hurt when he watched the ball drop in."

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-31-2007, 07:10 PM

He is... has horrible memory when recounting past matches and results, and all he does is talk about his crushes on Tracy Austin and Maria Sharapova. And he blatantly is not a self-assured commentator and second-guesses a lot of the things he says

Grinder
08-31-2007, 07:12 PM
My disappointment has passed already. Nieminen pretty much sucks nowadays and Youzhny can get bagelled by Darcis, so he can lose to anybody on a bad day.

Now watching your fave losing 7:6 6:1 6:1 against Koubek in hardcourt must be :sad:

It's all good, Blake wins a five setter, Roddick, Young, Almagro, Gulbis, and Isner in the third round. I don't hurt myself wrist when my favorites lose matches unlike you.

Now go back to bandwagoning juniors you've never seen play. :lol:

3strokes
08-31-2007, 08:04 PM

That's because Fabrice was playing against an American. Had he been playing against a non-American, he would have been "playing intelligently" and "using great tactics" or "thinking his way through the points".