Haas defeats brave Petzschner 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Haas defeats brave Petzschner 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5

Burrow
08-31-2007, 12:24 AM
The guy put up a brave fight, came back in the last set, from a break down at 5-4.

trulliscorpion
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Petzschner sure showed he's got the game to move on the ranks. A lot. :D Pity all the wasted BPs scattered through many many receive games. If he keeps healthy and interested we'll hear more about him.
But Haas is just on another league right now. Congratulations to him on surpassing a tough test.

JMG
08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Too bad that Haas was on a very high level today. It was impossible for Philipp to control the game. :sad: The good thing is he put up a show at the end.

trulliscorpion
08-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Too bad that Haas was on a very high level today. It was impossible for Philipp to control the game. :sad: The good thing is he put up a show at the end.

Yep. Surely he made a number of heads turn towards him after today's performance.

Yappa
08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Very entertaining match. The crowd enjoyed it. So did I. :) Especially when Petzschner came back, when Haas was serving for the match the first time.

Petzschner with slice bhs and at the net. And I don't know how many lobs! :D
Too bad that he couldn't hold that last game, but of course that's where you see the difference between a (normal) good player and someone who is used playing on the big stage.
Barely saw him using any (two handed) top spin bhs. How does his bh compare to, let's say, Lopez?

Voo de Mar
08-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Expected scoreline excluding 4th set. I'd like to see Blake-Haas match in th 4th round.

leng jai
08-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Did you record it fourlove?

groundstroke
08-31-2007, 01:55 AM
Saw the match, good serving at times from Haas. Still, he'll have to do better if he wants to be a contender for the title IMO.

Burrow
08-31-2007, 01:57 AM
Well duh.

Haas is never going to be a contender for this title.

jcempire
08-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Haas Go

shotgun
08-31-2007, 02:10 AM
Petzschner what a guy...

groundstroke
08-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Well duh.

Haas is never going to be a contender for this title.
Well he's always had the experience, y'never know.

Neely
08-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Haas' increased level at some point and his experience pulled him through in this match. Maybe the serve statistics (especially aces) don't reflect it, but I had the feeling his serve was working well during some important situations, and there were quite a lot of difficult and long games.

Petzchner with a good display and he didn't go down too easily. Hope he doesn't fade and manages to improve and make some noise in the future :yeah:

supertommyhaas
08-31-2007, 02:46 AM
3rd round :woohoo: 2 matches in 4 sets against darcis and petzschner

JMG
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
The disappointing thing about Petzschner was clearly his forehand imo. He had too many miss hits on his forehand. Another thing was that I expected to see some more drop shots, as it's one of his best shots for sure. The net play and backhand was good yesterday. Even the few double handed backhand were okay and the slices were nice, no unforced errrors there. :yeah:

Petzschner himself said he's a bit disappointed because he couldn't play his best tennis. I hope he'll be back on his top level next week.

I also noticed that not many people here were watching this match. :rolleyes: I only missed the first two games of the first set.

Byrd
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Haas served well at the clutch moments, otherwise he didn't look that impressive.

Stensland
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
haas was remarkably calm during the fourth, hats off to him. i'd have expected him to freak out once he got to 5-5 and petzschner was kinda starting to annoy him with all the antics and screaming and stuff. and then the overrule by de jenkin...phewww, haas must've really pulled himself together during those 30 minutes.

maybe he is still growing mentally. that match got me looking forward to the next rounds, he might actually go pretty deep into the tournament. mentally, that won't be a problem apparently. and the mental part has always been 90% of his game. he's ready.

Rusty Rock
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Tommy haas :) wooo

Bilbo
08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Haas was mainly serve. I saw the match.

leng jai
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
He served his way to 5 breaks?

Stensland
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Haas was mainly serve. I saw the match.

so did i, and i agree with you that his serving was good. but overall, he seemed to be amazingly stable throughout the whole match. not even his shoulder got him to drag himself down (and he's goooood at that, you know that!), which must be a sign for his shape at the moment. these little injuries make him go nuts on the court normally, but yesterday he was obviously able to suppress his anger and channel it way better than before, staying focussed even during the ruff times like at 5-5, when he just got broken.

i'm sticking to it: if he stays like this, this guy can make quite an impact at this years' open. :)