Lee def. Cañas - 7-5, 7-5, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lee def. Cañas - 7-5, 7-5, 6-3

Kuhne
08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Guillermo's game diminished as the match went on but what surprised me was how much game Lee has. He had Cañas really running there with sweet placement and a sweet backhand.

btw this is my first match anouncing thread ever, I hope I am the first to post it. :)

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
HT :woohoo:

Burrow
08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Lee was up 5-0 first set :o

my0118
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Lee was up 5-0 first set :o

No 4:0 :p

Tom Paulman
Willy's latest results are far from impressive :( What's up with him? He's not injured, is he?

RagingLamb
wow. well done Lee.

rofe
Canas was always going to have trouble with flat hitters on a fast court.

MatchFederer
Ahh well Burrow, he came through in the end... had the 'balls' to win. Good stuff.

TMJordan
08-30-2007, 07:59 PM
What a joke Willy.

martine2
Willy :sobbing: :sobbing:
I'd like him to take a break now. He's been under stress too long :sad:

scarecrows
running out of gas from the efforts of beginning of season

GlennMirnyi
Never in doubt. Canas has no game.

Burrow
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
No 4:0 :p

Really? I was sure he was up 5-0??

Blue Heart24
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Lee :worship: :yeah:

my0118
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Yes when on his serve 4:0, he got broken. ;)

Burrow
08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Ahhhh right. :yeah:

Lee has a nice game, and he is improving as he gets older, he has had a really good season, now take out Murray!

He also seems to have alot of fans in the crowd of late, especially at this match.

Psichogauchovna
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM

according to u almost every player has no game :shrug:

schorsch
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
well done lee. glad canass is out. willy didnt even shake hands with the umpire.

Psichogauchovna
08-30-2007, 08:04 PM
that was a sad match :sad:

GlennMirnyi

Nope. From 4/0 to 4/4 to 7/5.

GlennMirnyi
according to u almost every player has no game :shrug:

True.

yjyjyj
08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Well done HT :clap2:

my0118
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Ahhhh right. :yeah:

Lee has a nice game, and he is improving as he gets older, he has had a really good season, now take out Murray!

He also seems to have alot of fans in the crowd of late, especially at this match.

The commentator said many Koreans living in NY came over there for rooting for him. :)

martine2
08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Maybe you should take an example to the guy who said this yesterday :kiss:

No, I'm pissed of people talking bullshit about players in every match thread 100% of the time.

:angel: :angel: :p

Kuhne
08-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Winners don't use drugs

martine2
08-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Winners don't use drugs

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: why even bother to react :retard:

Burrow
08-30-2007, 08:12 PM
The commentator said many Koreans living in NY came over there for rooting for him. :)

Yes at the end there was alot of asian guys that came over for autographs.

If he keeps going this rate, top 25 is very possible for him to finish, maybe even top 20.

Psichogauchovna
08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Winners don't use drugs

:zzz:

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Lee ran him around for long stretches of this match, kind of like what happened to him in most of his losses lately.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe you should take an example to the guy who said this yesterday :kiss:

Saying Canas has no game is a complete obviety.

Winners don't use drugs

:lol:

Sjengster
08-30-2007, 08:21 PM
well done lee. glad canass is out. willy didnt even shake hands with the umpire.

After "nadull", do you have a witty pun for Volandri and Djokovic as well?

qczi
08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
lee :yeah:
tennis is the winner

Burrow
08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Saying Canas has no game is a complete obviety.

:lol:

Well he isn't doing bad for an untalented and drug taking player, on top of the fact he has no game! Wow!

I'll just go outside and tell the guy walking past my house, that he can be a famous sportsman, although he is untalented and has no game! God, I might even just advise the old geriatrics at club night to go and give the ATP tour a crack.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 08:24 PM

No wonder there were such loud cheers at the end of the first set. :lol:

R.Federer
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Well hello!

How much has canas disintegrated since those two phenomenal weeks in March? I didn't see the match, actually I've seen only 2 matches the whole tournament.... but this is surely the biggest shocker yet since Max went through.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Well he isn't doing bad for an untalented and drug taking player, on top of the fact he has no game! Wow!

I'll just go outside and tell the guy walking past my house, that he can be a famous sportsman, although he is untalented and has no game! God, I might even just advise the old geriatrics at club night to go and give the ATP tour a crack.

He can run, that's enough for tennis nowadays. As I said more than once, Ben Johnson would be a top 10 if he played.

Sjengster
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I didn't think Lee had the power to beat Canas, but he does hit quite flat and takes the ball early, and was able to move Canas around and open up gaps in his defences. The first set was obviously crucial, it lasted over an hour and Canas threw his racket when he dumped a forehand into the net to lose it, he was also annoyed at the umpire over several calls that went against him hence the lack of handshake at the end.

Mateya
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
:spit: :spit: Quite a shoker.

Yeah, too much parties, women and everything what comes with it :tape: :tape:

Jaap
08-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Even though I lost money on this match, I'm glad this greasy drug cheat lost.

People still think he will finish top 10 and in the season end champioship eh? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Beat
08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
yay, congrats to lee. :)

User ID 29337
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't know if its too many tournaments, too much too fast this year, too much time with his hot girlfriend or what but if he plays next year like he played today, hes going out of the top 50. I'm a fan but there is nothing nice I can say about the match after looking at the stats besides he looked hot on court.

chewy
08-30-2007, 09:12 PM
No doubt Lee's got game, he didn't choke as much as he did in his 1st rd match. Hope he can keep on improving in that area.

It's great that so many tennis fans was there to support him :yeah:
Keep playing your game Lee!

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
we can agree Cañas choked the second set , leading 42 then two bps to have double

break then broken with 3 dfs in a row plus a silly ue :o but Lee

played well,he has a good all round game, not great in any part but

solid in about all parts and hit pretty flat off both sides, that

was a pretty decisive factor :)

Adler
08-30-2007, 09:25 PM
So this is Top-10-after-USO-Canas. After quite poor claycourt season I knew there shouldn't be much to expect

Boris Franz Ecker
08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Winners don't use drugs

Nonsense, Wilander and McEnroe were winners.

jonny84
08-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Good win for Lee.

Makes things easier I suppose for Andy Murray - really expected Canas to win though.

Marek.
08-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Not surprising at all. All Canas can do is serve and run down balls. On a court this fast he's not going to get enough balls back to win too many matches.

Burrow
08-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Good win for Lee.

Makes things easier I suppose for Andy Murray - really expected Canas to win though.

It would be easier if Murray played the loser, who was not as good as the winner today?

ranaldo
08-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Cañas = very gifted moonballer.

That's why he lost. You can't get away with it forever.

rofe
08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Not surprising at all. All Canas can do is serve and run down balls. On a court this fast he's not going to get enough balls back to win too many matches.

Wasn't just that. Lee also takes the ball early and hits very flat so he probably ran Canas ragged.

rofe
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Cañas = very gifted moonballer.

That's why he lost. You can't get away with it forever.

A "gifted" moonballer. Care to elaborate?

Sleepwalker64
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh...shit...Guillermo:sad:

ranaldo
08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
A "gifted" moonballer. Care to elaborate?

Well he's very good at retrieving balls and putting them back into play but on hardcourts he doesn't have the attacking instinct necessary to prevail. He strives on the opponent frustration(missing balls...), not on winners/moving forward and so on. His serve is better than before though.

rofe
08-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Well he's very good at retrieving balls and putting them back into play but on hardcourts he doesn't have the attacking instinct necessary to prevail. He strives on the opponent frustration(missing balls...), not on winners/moving forward and so on. His serve is better than before though.

But would you call that being "gifted"?

WF4EVER
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Maybe too much hype about him after he beat Federer. Yeah, twice.

What has he done since the early excitement of his return. I mean, ESPN Deportes even gave him his own 'Perfiles' they were so excited about it.

All he needs is another early round match against Roger to boost his confidence.

RickDaStick
08-30-2007, 11:04 PM
And some people still wont admit his wins over Federer were flukes.

musefanatic
08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow this was certainly unexpected, thought he'd put up a bit more of a fight than this, certainly. Disappointing display for Canas.

Rumour
08-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Thought Lee had a great shot at this match after following some of Cañas' recent ho-hum hard court performances but even I didn't think Willy would go down in straights. Well done to the S. Korean :D

njnetswill
08-31-2007, 01:51 AM
I was sure Canas would be top 10 again....guess not.

HT Lee :banana: He doesn't get much respect around here.

neenah
08-31-2007, 03:10 AM
Great match, fun atmosphere. Cañas was the favorite of the crowd but Lee had a group of extremely enthusiastic supporters. :lol:

I didn't watch the end of the match but my mom said that Cañas left the court extremely mad/frustrated.

Great win for Lee. :D

ChinoRios4Ever
08-31-2007, 03:27 AM
Cañas needs vacations now... he didnt stop playing since september of last year, it's obvious that he is out of gas right now

RickDaStick
08-31-2007, 03:34 AM
:wavey: Jonathan

El Legenda
08-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Drugs can only take you so far Canas :wavey:

GlennMirnyi
08-31-2007, 03:47 AM
And some people still wont admit his wins over Federer were flukes.

So true.

njnetswill
08-31-2007, 03:50 AM
It is hard to call two consecutive wins flukes. Maybe if it was only one win.

doublebackhand
08-31-2007, 04:27 AM
LEE!!:banana: :rocker2: U can take out Andy!!!

robinhood
08-31-2007, 04:44 AM
:woohoo::woohoo: HT!!!
Good luck in the 3rd round!

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Good to see the usual lack of perspective in here.

Another solid result for Lee, who has made the most out of his game and good that he has reached the 3rd round and kudos to that.

Canas, well he has been playing all the way from September coming back from 18 months out of the game to now without a break at all, and the results he got from then to now have clearly exceeded expectations, so he is going to level out, anyone with a half a brain can see that.

bayvalle
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Maybe too much hype about him after he beat Federer. Yeah, twice.

What has he done since the early excitement of his return. I mean, ESPN Deportes even gave him his own 'Perfiles' they were so excited about it.

All he needs is another early round match against Roger to boost his confidence.
Indeed, it seems another win over his "favorite" player - Fed - is what Willy needs for him to to get going again. A 3rd win could indeed send Willy's confidence skyhigh - why, Fed could become Willy's mistress by then. Seriously, I hope Fed and Willy meet up again (AO 2008?) if only for Fed to prove that Willy's two victories did not happen "by accident". Problem is, since Willy is getting busted left and right by "secondary" players in the early rounds, they might never meet again.

VolandriFan
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Good to see the usual lack of perspective in here.

Another solid result for Lee, who has made the most out of his game and good that he has reached the 3rd round and kudos to that.

Canas, well he has been playing all the way from September coming back from 18 months out of the game to now without a break at all, and the results he got from then to now have clearly exceeded expectations, so he is going to level out, anyone with a half a brain can see that.

Thank you! :worship:

And that isn't even taking into account all of the mentally exhausting moments he's had to endure in the last year.

azza
08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
eww LEE in a GS 3rd round wtf :o

Jaap
08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
People speak as though Canas is the only player on tour that plays many matches a year. Davydenko, Boredo, Blake...these guys play every week yet they are still going deep in the major tournaments.

Anyways, I thought he was supposed to be the fittest player on tour?

scarecrows
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
People speak as though Canas is the only player on tour that plays many matches a year. Davydenko, Boredo, Blake...these guys play every week yet they are still going deep in the major tournaments.

he started last spetember from challengers and didnt take much breaks between tournaments and also had to play qualies till april which meant double effort

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM

Anyways, I thought he was supposed to be the fittest player on tour?

You missed the point obviously, but that is not surprising.

Doggy
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Lee is such a sexy bitch. I'm glad he got a good result.

But Canas is also my fav too. I love his hairy face and crotch. :hug:

Jimnik
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Expected win for HTL. :yeah:

Canas is already looking forward to the off season.

martine2
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
The fact he def Roger twice caused the haters to hate him even more and created a bandwagon of "fans" who are letting him down now. No problem, he's better off without those.
He needs some time off now and then he'll be back for sure.

Burrow
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I think that he was super motivated coming back on tour, for the first time in a while, now he is feeling a bit burnt out at this stage, mentally but also physically. Remember last year at this stage he wasn't even playing anything till about September, right? His body hasn't been going through this strain for a while now, but yes he does look in incredible shape, but still he has not fully gelled. Whatever happens, win or lose, I'll always be a fan of Canas, and I think he can have a pretty decent indoor season and we will, for certain see his name in the top 10, by the end of the year.

User ID 29337
08-31-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess Martine you can count me on the list of those leaving the Canas bandwagon. Reasons:
Hes blowing matches on a continual basis

His on court persona isn't the nicest lately, he can't even take getting slaugthered in grace. And look at his behavior, Miami he went on and on about that foot fault thing and i heard though didn't see he went on about some trainer delay in his first match at the open.

And in regards to rest, honestly two things he had more then enough time to rest up durring his suspension and what about all these early round losses he keeps getting, he should have had plenty of time to rest before the open.

Do I feel the need to stay loyal to a player? No not when hes blowing matches out his rear end on a continual basis like Canas is. Hes not family, hes not a friend, hes just a player who can't put his game together right now.

Jogy
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
thanks Lee, the tournament is cleaner now
Canas got what deserved in this match and last weeks

ReturnWinner
08-31-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks Lee, the tournament is cleaner now

and it will be still cleaner when Haas is out :devil:

Jogy
08-31-2007, 10:22 PM
and it will be still cleaner when Haas is out :devil:
no problem will happen next or after next round, but tell me that when Haas makes a positive drug test :)

Burrow
09-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I guess Martine you can count me on the list of those leaving the Canas bandwagon. Reasons:

His on court persona isn't the nicest lately, he can't even take getting slaugthered in grace. And look at his behavior, Miami he went on and on about that foot fault thing and i heard though didn't see he went on about some trainer delay in his first match at the open.

And in regards to rest, honestly two things he had more then enough time to rest up durring his suspension and what about all these early round losses he keeps getting, he should have had plenty of time to rest before the open.

Do I feel the need to stay loyal to a player? No not when hes blowing matches out his rear end on a continual basis like Canas is. Hes not family, hes not a friend, hes just a player who can't put his game together right now.

Does a player have to go round smiling all the time on court? Does Federer do this? No.

Not taking a beating graciously? He seemed fine yesterday when he was beat by Lee, what problem? :rolleyes:

Bremen
09-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks Lee!!!

neenah
09-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Does a player have to go round smiling all the time on court? Does Federer do this? No.

Not taking a beating graciously? He seemed fine yesterday when he was beat by Lee, what problem? :rolleyes:

I feel like I should correct this, since I attended the match. Cañas did seem extremely frustrated and angry after this loss, which is understandable since it was a frustrating loss. Playing a player ranked lower than you, having extreme crowd support, but not walking away with the win.

I'm not too familiar with Cañas though, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I just though I would point out that he did not seem to take his loss very well. If that's a reason why a person choses not to support a player anymore, that's just a personal preference.

VolandriFan
09-01-2007, 02:24 AM
I feel like I should correct this, since I attended the match. Cañas did seem extremely frustrated and angry after this loss, which is understandable since it was a frustrating loss. Playing a player ranked lower than you, having extreme crowd support, but not walking away with the win.

I'm not too familiar with Cañas though, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I just though I would point out that he did not seem to take his loss very well. If that's a reason why a person choses not to support a player anymore, that's just a personal preference.

If you had followed him for a few years, read many interviews and seen how he congratulates his opponent, win or lose, then you'd know that he's a nice person. He was very gracious in defeat when he lost to Hewitt at Wimbledon, and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Anyway, after what he's been through, he has the right to lose his temper occasionally.

neenah
09-01-2007, 03:53 AM
If you had followed him for a few years, read many interviews and seen how he congratulates his opponent, win or lose, then you'd know that he's a nice person. He was very gracious in defeat when he lost to Hewitt at Wimbledon, and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Anyway, after what he's been through, he has the right to lose his temper occasionally.

I agree, in an atmosphere such as a tennis match, emotions can cause a person to do something out of character. It's a very emotional sport, you work to set up a point and one thing goes wrong and the ball is out. Extremely tense atmosphere. I didn't mean to say anything against Cañas.

Allure
09-01-2007, 04:08 AM
And Canas is better than Federer. Disappointing. :awww:

martine2
09-01-2007, 03:13 PM

No problem Marie, my own opinion is what counts, you don't owe anyone an explanation for yours.

Agatha_christie
09-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Great win Hyung-Taik :worship:

VolandriFan
09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree, in an atmosphere such as a tennis match, emotions can cause a person to do something out of character. It's a very emotional sport, you work to set up a point and one thing goes wrong and the ball is out. Extremely tense atmosphere. I didn't mean to say anything against Cañas.

:o I'm really sorry, I quoted the wrong person in my other post. :hug:

neenah
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
:o I'm really sorry, I quoted the wrong person in my other post. :hug:

No problem. :hug: