Murray def Bjorkman 5-7, 6-3, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def Bjorkman 5-7, 6-3, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1

cmurray
08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
And Muzza's back. :yeah:

rofe
08-30-2007, 06:48 PM
I couldn't watch the match. How did he play?

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Some great shots from Murray and he is good at generating power from nowhere. His backhand was a real weapon today, CC and DTL... good stuff!

Well done Andy .:D

JustJames
Va-Moose...!! :yeah:

A little shaky at times and the forehand still looked vulnerable, especially on the big points, however Bjorkman is a tricky opponent..so it was a good performance by Andy to pull this one out of the bag. :D

cmurray
I couldn't watch the match. How did he play?

A little spotty at first and perhaps a tad sluggish. I started seeing glimpses of the Murray of old by the last set though. Forehands were coming with more pace and he was finding his spots again. All in all, I thought it was promising. The backhand was on fire in the last set.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I didn't catch all of it, but when he was on he was smacking FH winners down the line, BH winners CC and DTL. His CC BH was constantly forcing weak replies from Bjorkman and it proved to be a real weapon. Murray also displayed some exsquisite touch as per usual, and a couple of moments of real inspiration. In the last set he was very aggressive off the serve and hit about 4 outright winners off the serve in the space of about 2 return games.

Murray's first serve percentage seemed low for the last two sets, however he cracked out about 18? aces.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Rofe, the short analysis I just gave only really covers the 2nd half of set 4 and the whole of set 5, I hope it was helpful.

buzz
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I really liked the very cross angled dropshot from Murray after Jonas hit a fh crosscourt.

Apemant
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Nice workout for Murray :devil:

Hope he uses this match to get rid of some of his daemons...

I mean, he's so wild. At one time you have a feeling he can break Bjoki at will, and then he loses a set. Grrrr :mad:

But, the good thing is that he still made it through. :yeah:

cmurray
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I really liked the very cross angled dropshot from Murray after Jonas hit a fh crosscourt.

Oh, that was a thing of beauty, that was. He seems to have gotten his feel back again. I have no idea how in the world he found that angle.

rofe
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
A little spotty at first and perhaps a tad sluggish. I started seeing glimpses of the Murray of old by the last set though. Forehands were coming with more pace and he was finding his spots again. All in all, I thought it was promising. The backhand was on fire in the last set.

I didn't catch all of it, but when he was on he was smacking FH winners down the line, BH winners CC and DTL. His CC BH was constantly forcing weak replies from Bjorkman and it proved to be a real weapon. Murray also displayed some exsquisite touch as per usual, and a couple of moments of real inspiration. In the last set he was very aggressive off the serve and hit about 4 outright winners off the serve in the space of about 2 return games.

Murray's first serve percentage seemed low for the last two sets, however he cracked out about 18? aces.

Thanks to both of you. That does sound promising.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM

That was one of those moments of inspiration I was on about. It was a strange half sorta sliced acutely angled FH CC dropshot from just outside the sideline? I think...

Great stuff.:cool:

Merton
08-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Excellent, he won an early morning match against a tricky opponent, that was a good match to see. I like Andy's chances in the next round as well.

l_mac
08-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm so pleased for Andy, and the in parts of the match I watched (3rd and 5th set) he looked great. Sort of suprised Bjorkman took him to 5, but thrilled he's through to the 3rd round.

selyoink
08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Bjorkman had won 7 straight 5 set matches coming in I believe.

cmurray
08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm so pleased for Andy, and the in parts of the match I watched (3rd and 5th set) he looked great. Sort of suprised Bjorkman took him to 5, but thrilled he's through to the 3rd round.

I don't think its a bad thing for Andy to have played a 5 setter. He's terribly short on match play, and you could practically see his confidence rising throughout that match. I think it was good all the way around.

l_mac
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't think its a bad thing for Andy to have played a 5 setter. He's terribly short on match play, and you could practically see his confidence rising throughout that match. I think it was good all the way around.

He was just saying on Sky that a long match like that wil be good for him, although he is tired and his feet are burning :lol:

cmurray
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
He was just saying on Sky that a long match like that wil be good for him, although he is tired and his feet are burning :lol:

Well of COURSE. We Murrays know each other very well. ;)

rocketassist
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
It was good stuff but he seems to have the Henman syndrome of not putting away an opponent as straightforward as he should, with little dips in form. His forehand was rocketing at times though, and his draw is good. I hope Kiwi can take out the PMK as well, that would yet more enhance his hopes.

Merton
08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
That was a pseudo-5-set match anyway, first, it should never have gone to a 5th set and second, it didn't last that long.

Adler
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Positively surprised he's won a 5-setter, because Bjorkman doesn't have much to show these days, unlike healthy Murray for example

tennisgal_001
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm very pleased with his overall performance. Some flashes of brilliance of the old Murray and some poor errors due to lack of match pratice and overall rustiness. I hope he can get past Lee, he'll need to carry over his 5th set form to have a real chance of winning.

mangoes
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Congrats to Murray. He played very good in the final sets.

Burrow
08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
That was a pseudo-5-set match anyway, first, it should never have gone to a 5th set and second, it didn't last that long.

It lasted well over 3 hours.

krystlel
08-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Some very good play from Murray mixed in with poor patches of play here and there. It was great to see Murray showing signs of form again.

adee-gee
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Pretty good from Andy :yeah:

Agree with everyone here that he shouldn't have gone to 5, but a good win. Hit some absolutely glorious shots.

One concern though....in the 4th set he apparently said to Gilbert "I've got nothing left" and was getting up quickly at the changeovers, almost as if he was concerned about cramping. He looked absolutely shattered at the start of the 5th, I thought he'd lose. But he got an early break and used the momentum. I mean, I know he's short of matches but surely he was doing fitness work while he was out with his wrist problem, I wouldn't expect him to look so jaded after 4 sets.

Nevertheless, some promising signs and the forehand is coming along nicer. Really good chance of the 4th round with Lee beating Canas (I wouldn't have liked his chances against Canas).

Andi-M
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
ANDY!!!! :kiss:

dorkino
08-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Have to say surprised to see Bjorkman pushed it to 5, but a win is a win ...sometimes. :o

jonny84
08-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Great for Andy.

And probably easier that he plays Lee now and not Canas.

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Yea for Andy- this should help with his confidence. :)

He continues to crack me up with his shouting at Brad. I feel like I should be annoyed with it- but it just amuses me.

Sofonda Cox
08-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Jonas :smash:

Goonergal
08-30-2007, 09:13 PM
The Murrycoaster is back :yeah: This type of match is just what he needs :) I wonder how many bp opps there were combined in this match? :lol:

adee-gee
08-30-2007, 09:18 PM
He continues to crack me up with his shouting at Brad. I feel like I should be annoyed with it- but it just amuses me.
I actually think he's improved on it slightly :lol:

I read an interview with him where he said he looks back on some of his matches this year and he's disappointed with the way he acts and that his injury had made him realise he needs to enjoy his tennis more :tape:

Sofonda Cox
08-30-2007, 09:20 PM

I read an interview with him where he said he looks back on some of his matches this year and he's disappointed with the way he acts and that his injury had made him realise he needs to enjoy his tennis more :tape:

:tape:

cmurray
08-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Well...he DID smile once today, Adam. Granted it looked a little scary on him, but I saw it. I saw his teeth and everything.

musefanatic
08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm really pleased for Andy, getting back into the rhythm of things. I was really happy Jonas took him to 5 though, even though Andy's one of my fave players, i do have a soft spot for Jonas :p Well done Andy :) Player some superb tennis at times :)

musefanatic
08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Well...he DID smile once today, Adam. Granted it looked a little scary on him, but I saw it. I saw his teeth and everything.

Bet you thought he was gonna eat you :lol:

cmurray
08-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Bet you thought he was gonna eat you :lol:

I think I might have given a startled little scream...but all is well now.

Goonergal
08-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought he abused Brad less today as well :lol:

sarciness
08-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Arg :(

HNCS
08-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Bjorky!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug:

please do well in the double then.

jitterbug
08-31-2007, 01:54 AM

:scared: :lol:

Well done, Muzzcat! :yeah:

Sean.J.S.
08-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Jonas. :(

Congrats, Andy. :yeah:

Halba
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
this is fun, muzza is back. come to the top 5 where u belong.

Rusty Rock
08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Murray should have really wiped the floor with this guy, I mean even after a lay off such as Murray's you should be beating the hunchback who slaps the ball quite easily. I guess Murray can start playing into some form with the draw he has.