I've had it with Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I've had it with Gasquet

case
08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
No one was a bigger fan than me. I defended him in many questionable chokes. Questionable comments. Questionable injuries. I can no longer.

He is not a teenager any more and has been on the tour for years. Injuries/illnesses happen and I can understand the occasional withdrawal. Players get nervous on the court and will throw away a match. I understand all that. But a sore throat (this is not his first and how many of us used this pathetic excuse to get out of going to school? )? They do make painkillers for almost any degree of pain. This is the USO.

However, Gasquet has taken this direction of illnesses/injuries to an art form. If he is this fragile maybe he should be the next Bubble Boy.:rolleyes:

I think he freaked over Young (the latest teen phenom like he had been) and didn't want to risk that Young might be beat him.
I personally think Gasquet is light years ahead of Young but I wonder that Gasquet freaks about everything.

I think Gasquet does not have any mental strength and will never be a great player. You cannot be a great player if you NEVER play.

This from the USO site:
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2007-08-30/200708301188501245656.html
Comments on his mental game.

Obviously I am not alone in this.

RagingLamb
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
soar throat???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

he should be banned from playing sports.

Burrow
08-30-2007, 05:32 PM
eh??

Blue Heart24
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
soar throat???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

he should be banned from playing sports.

:rolleyes: Sore throat is a tricky thing.
You can play of course,but with a high body temperature,I doubt he can give his best,so instead he decided to withdraw,what is wrong with that? :shrug:

Lee
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
He also has fever, which is more complicated than just sore throat.

mangoes
08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
It's unreasonable to expect Gasquet, who has a fever, to go out there and play in the hot sun. It was a better decision to withdraw. Give Gasquet a break.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Play under the sun with fever, let's see what happens.

case
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
It's unreasonable to expect Gasquet, who has a fever, to go out there and play in the hot sun. It was a better decision to withdraw. Give Gasquet a break.

I have been giving gasquet a break for almost three years.
He should have at least tried.

My point is that it is ALWAYS something with gasquet. A fever? :rolleyes: Many of us go to work with fevers and live to tell the tale. So do many athletes.

Let's not forget how he beats Roddick and then bombs the rest of the summer.

RagingLamb
08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes: Sore throat is a tricky thing.
You can play of course,but with a high body temperature,I doubt he can give his best,so instead he decided to withdraw,what is wrong with that? :shrug:

sorry, didn't know about the Fever.

that I can understand.

Godiva
08-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I've played with worse symptoms. Gasquet is a wimp. He needs to grow up. Nadal's condition is far more serious as he is risking permanent injury yet he sucked it up and won his match yesterday. Not that I condone what Nadal is doing in his particular case. Was that so hard for Richie?

TheBoiledEgg
08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Gasquet was scared of Young :rolls: ????

kaylee
Hmmm well i just watched the interview on US Open web site he sounds husky but hmmmmmmm can't see Fed doing this somehow (more's the pity)

GlennMirnyi
Funny a Coria fan talking about wimping... Coria the biggest wimp of the history of tennis.

Alex999
let's just hope he doesn't brake a nail at practice during AO

lol,

Adler
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
soar throat???
:haha:
sorry, I just recalled these rumors saying he's gay

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Posters who would play with a fever in the sun:
case
RagingLamb
Godiva

Anyone else? :wavey:

Lee
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
case
RagingLamb
Godiva

I'm sure they grew up with heartless mothers that sent them to school and took PE lessons when they ran a fever of 40°C/104°F ;)

Merton
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
That is a true fan there, case must have some serious inside information about how Richard feels.

RagingLamb
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
case
RagingLamb
Godiva

I've actually done that.

Again, I understand that the guy's gotta fever bla bla. But COME ON!! Where are the freaking MEN in the men's game?

For fuck's sake suck it up and fight for once you fucking pussies!!!!!

mangoes
08-30-2007, 05:47 PM

My point is that it is ALWAYS something with gasquet. A fever? :rolleyes: Many of us go to work with fevers and live to tell the tale. So do many athletes.

Gasquet will pull it together in time. Consider Roger's journey to no. 1. I was just as fustrated with him at time.

Just keep supporting him and I hope that all the Gasquet fans will be rewarded down the road. It would be absolutely horrible if Gasquet didn't make the most of his talent.

Merton
08-30-2007, 05:48 PM
case
RagingLamb
Godiva

I don't know about richie21.

tennis lover
I've actually done that.

Again, I understand that the guy's gotta fever bla bla. But COME ON!! Where are the freaking MEN in the men's game?

why don't you tell him that next time you play a grand slam. :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
Better to withdraw than start the match, play 2 games and retire.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I've actually done that.

You play professional tennis, do you? Own up now! Are you Federer? Roddick? Lopez? :eek:

case
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
That is a true fan there, case must have some serious inside information about how Richard feels.

For all I know it could be very serious. But my point is that he always seems to have problems. How many great athletes are perpetually sick or injured. I felt the blisters were a legitimate illness, but they still stopped him from playing-like almost anything will.

Any doctor will tell you that there is a strong link between mental issues and illnesses/injuries and also severity/recovery time.

JBdV
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
No one was a bigger fan than me. I defended him in many questionable chokes. Questionable comments. Questionable injuries. I can no longer.

He is not a teenager any more and has been on the tour for years. Injuries/illnesses happen and I can understand the occasional withdrawal. Players get nervous on the court and will throw away a match. I understand all that. But a sore throat (this is not his first and how many of us used this pathetic excuse to get out of going to school? )? They do make painkillers for almost any degree of pain. This is the USO.

However, Gasquet has taken this direction of illnesses/injuries to an art form. If he is this fragile maybe he should be the next Bubble Boy.:rolleyes:

I think he freaked over Young (the latest teen phenom like he had been) and didn't want to risk that Young might be beat him.
I personally think Gasquet is light years ahead of Young but I wonder that Gasquet freaks about everything.

I think Gasquet does not have any mental strength and will never be a great player. You cannot be a great player if you NEVER play.

Good riddance :wavey:

RagingLamb
08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
why don't you tell him that next time you play a grand slam. :rolleyes:

lol, well first I'd need a crowbar to pry you off him wouldn't I?

mangoes

Agree. I'm just baffled at those that say they can play a professional tennis match in the hot sun while running a fever.....

Godiva
Funny a Coria fan talking about wimping... Coria the biggest wimp of the history of tennis.

How does Coria being a wimp invalidate what I said about Richie? Sure Coria is a wimp but I admire his talent and what he has achieved although he could have achieved more. Something wrong with that??

tennis lover
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
lol, well first I'd need a crowbar to pry you off him wouldn't I?
excuse me?! don't judge me when you don't even know me.

RagingLamb
08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
You play professional tennis, do you? Own up now! Are you Federer? Roddick? Lopez? :eek:

no I never said that.

Sadly for me, I'm just your average joe. But I've given everything I had in sports and work in similar or worse conditions (flue, migrane, fever, etc.).

Again, I didn't know he had a fever, but still, I've seen worse.

Veronique
08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Lack of toughness is what will always separate Gasquet from the likes of Nadal and Djokovic. I have no doubt both would have at least tried to play and see. Richard was well enough to stand with the reporter and give a short interview.

my0118
08-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Well I kind of understand how you're frustrated by his withdrawal like I am.
I dare to think he could've tried at least. But we never know how his condition is, so I think we should respect his decision.
I'm just figuring out he will never be such a fighter or want to take any risks.
But if you've been a fan of him, either you have to deal with it or just throw your expectation towards him out.

Forehander
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
No one ever is a bigger Sebastien Grosjean fan than me. I try my best to defend him as well but he disappoints me too much so I also hate him shitloads while liking him.

But anyway in your case of Gasquet, don't be ridiculous,it's not his fault. Sore throat is a serious issue in high physical demand sport such as tennis. U cannot afford to damage your respiratory tract and since sore throat can also be a early sign of many other sickness too. Playing while you're sick will have you suffer big time due to lack of water with high blood circulation rate, which can lead to quicker spread of virus and bacterias around body, causing a higher chance of acquiring a Fever and the like. This is not about being a warrior/fighter or not, it's about being stupid or intelligent. He made the right choice of resigning due to a sore throat. This is PROFESSIONAL tennis we're talking about here, not just some casual daily tennis hit.

Mariana_lcf
08-30-2007, 06:00 PM
haha isnt djokovic the one that retires from matches when he sees he;s losing? :haha:

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Lack of toughness is what will always separate Gasquet from the likes of Nadal and Djokovic. I have no doubt both would have at least tried to play and see. Richard was well enough to stand with the reporter and give a short interview.

I take it that you think Nadal not withdrawing to rest his knees is wise? :confused:

Sorry but I think it's better to think long term and make eliminating the sickness or injury the priority. :shrug:

JBdV
08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Gasquet himself is a lot more disappointed than any of his so-called "fans" right now.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
How does Coria being a wimp invalidate what I said about Richie? Sure Coria is a wimp but I admire his talent and what he has achieved although he could have achieved more. Something wrong with that??

The point is that Gasquet looks like Hercules compared to Coria that cheater, faker and wimp.

haha isnt djokovic the one that retires from matches when he sees he;s losing? :haha:

That one is Nadal.

bittertea
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Reeeshard is clearly a hypochondriac. :rolleyes:

case
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I take it that you think Nadal not withdrawing to rest his knees is wise? :confused:

I dont. and that is not what I'm arguing.
I think Nadal should'nt have played. I have always found it revolting when players get injured and then hobble back onto the court. This isn't ancient Rome and I have too much respect for what players and what they go through and should not risk their physical health to entertain me.

But sports is physical-my guess is if players stopped playing with all their injuries and illnesses we would never see any sports played

Horatio Caine
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Cut him some slack man.

kaylee
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
now now boys and girls

Xristos
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Cut the guy some slack..

Forehander
08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Er... what was so talented about Coria? Sry to me he's just has a bit of speed and nothing more. Him reaching the top 10 or 5 was for sure a huge down-hill moment of tennis.

star
08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Going to work in a sedentary job is a little different than working very hard in the hot sun. A fever dehydrates on its own without adding strenuous exersice and heat to it. Depending on the severity of the fever, it could be life threatening. Personally, I've gone to work not feeling well many days, but I find it impossible to work if I have a fever of 102 or above. I can go through the motions if my body has to be there, but I'm not productive.

I fell on my way to a job once, broke my wrist and attended a meeting I had to go to before seeking medical attention. I was there and did what I had to do, but it wasn't a stellar performance. There's only so much mind over matter.

my0118
08-30-2007, 06:20 PM

You think that giving a short interview and playing tennis in the heat are same. :worship:

Mariana_lcf
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
You think that giving a short interview and playing tennis in the heat are same.

Veronique
08-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Sorry but I think it's better to think long term and make eliminating the sickness or injury the priority. :shrug:

Rafa is risking more injury by playing hurt. I was proud of him for trying yesterday, but he should have retired as he was struggling big time with his movement. The operative word is Trying;-)

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Yeah, yeah, write me a memo whenever Nadal/Joko ever play with a raging fever. Idiot.

Veronique
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, yeah, write me a memo whenever Nadal/Joko ever play with a raging fever. Idiot.

Are you 12? What's fascinating about insulting a fellow poster just b/c you disagree?

Puschkin
08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I've played with worse symptoms.

Which Grand slam tournament? Which round? When?

Nadal's condition is far more serious as he is risking permanent injury yet he sucked it up and won his match yesterday. Not that I condone what Nadal is doing in his particular case.

So, what you saying is Nadal should have retired, but Richard should have played. One risks his health and you are aginst it, but the other one should do so. :rolleyes:

What a wonderful fan you are, quitting when things get sour. You are not a fan of the guy, but in love with your own expectations of him.

luxsword
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
french eurosport says "angine", that's angina in english, i think, and that's not exactly the same as "sore thorat", righ ?
he says he's bee ill/unwell for a couple of days, fever started yesterday, and during practice this morning he felt aches and dizzy...

please cut him some slack :awww: it's disappointing enough as it is

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Rafa is risking more injury by playing hurt. I was proud of him for trying yesterday, but he should have retired as he was struggling big time with his movement. The operative word is Trying;-)

So you're proud of him for not doing what he should have done? :confused:

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 06:38 PM
God, the idiocy level on these forums is increasing at an exponential rate...

Puschkin
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM
:worship: SW.

fmolinari2005
08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Play under the sun with fever, let's see what happens.

You gotta know that playing playstation under the sun is very taxing on the body. Finger cramps.

Pixie
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
one stupid Gasquet's fan less :woohoo:

Veronique
08-30-2007, 06:53 PM

I'll repeat: I was proud of him for trying but he should have retired as clearly his injuries got worse and not better. At least he never thought of quitting before he even tried. I don't like that he finished that match, neither do I want him to play his next round. But his attitude toward the game and these adverse situations is why he's a winner. Also I have no doubt Federer would show up and play even with a Fever. This is a GS, not some lowly tournament.

sykotique
08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Is Gasquet fragile? Yes. Is playing with a fever in the hot sun smart? No. Of course, everyone will criticise him for withdrawing and taking care of himself, but the dissent would reach new decibels had he gone out there, lost a set and went down a break in the 2nd and then decided to retire.

Or worse - what if he had decided to "gut it out like a man"? I can imagine the rants then: "I don't care about freaking fever, Gasquet Truba is freaking idiot and loser, Gasquet Truba sucks well, retire moron!"

I wish him well and I hope he prepares himself, mentally and physically, for the indoor season.

*Ljubica*
08-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I cannot imagine that some people are seriously advocating that Gasquet should have gone out and played (potentially running around for 3-4 hours in the extreme heat), with a high fever! As a previous poster said, a fever will dehydrate you anyway - so chances are that trying to play a competitive Grand Slam tennis match (not just a knock-around in the local park :rolleyes: ) could have put the guy in Hopistal with serious complications. No tennis match is worth that risk - these guys are human beings first and foremost - give him a break please.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
08-30-2007, 06:59 PM
it's always sad when a fan lets down his player. I just watched on TV Richard Gasquet explaining he has a sore throat, it's serious cos it's a viral infection... even the ATP doctors forbid him to take the plane and he must stay 2 more days in New-York.

Forehander
08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I'll repeat: I was proud of him for trying but he should have retired as clearly his injuries got worse and not better. At least he never thought of quitting before he even tried. I don't like that he finished that match, neither do I want him to play his next round. But his attitude toward the game and these adverse situations is why he's a winner. Also I have no doubt Federer would show up and play even with a Fever. This is a GS, not some lowly tournament.

lol u're very incorrect about this, please do not make blind judgements when you don't know the inside of professional tennis training and conditioning. Fever is not a simple cold or flu. We're talking about FEVER here, antibodies in our body fighting from within causing inflammation etc... Not playing while suffering a Fever is one of the rule of thumb of professional tennis no matter if it's in my pro national junior league level or senior ATP level or what tournament it is because it can be life threatening.

Rumour
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Gasquet himself is a lot more disappointed than any of his so-called "fans" right now.
Ditto.

Veronique
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
lol u're very incorrect about this, please do not make blind judgements when you don't know the inside of professional tennis training and conditioning. Fever is not a simple cold or flu. We're talking about FEVER here, antibodies in our body fighting from within causing inflammation etc... Not playing while suffering a Fever is one of the rule of thumb of professional tennis no matter if it's in my pro national junior league level or senior ATP level or what tournament it is because it can be life threatening.

Do you think Fever would have stopped Roger from going out and trying to play?

silverwhite

That's interesting. Personally if I had to choose between a player I like doing the right thing or making me "proud", I'd choose the former. :shrug:

BlakeorHenman

Actually not, because then I could pick up some cheap PAW points.

;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I've always had it with him

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Do you think Fever would have stopped Roger from going out and trying to play?

I'm just curious. Has Roger actually done that or are you just looking into your crystal ball? :scratch:

case
08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I cannot imagine that some people are seriously advocating that Gasquet should have gone out and played (potentially running around for 3-4 hours in the extreme heat), with a high fever!

Just how high was his fever? anyone hear?

I knew i would be hit for saying that i had it with gasquet. I love his play.
He is cute and seems to be a very likable person. In the real world I would have admired his attitude about winning isnt everything! for an athlete I also can admire that (alittle though not as much!). But winning should be somewhere on his agenda and right now playing isn't even on his agenda.

I will always love to watch the guy-BUT I NEVER GET TO! and neither do you die hard fans! I think he is a hypochondriac!!!!! Most reasonable people are at least starting to wonder about him!

case
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
it's always sad when a fan lets down his player. I just watched on TV Richard Gasquet explaining he has a sore throat, it's serious cos it's a viral infection... even the ATP doctors forbid him to take the plane and he must stay 2 more days in New-York.

I knew it would be my fault:p

LoveFifteen
08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
sorry, I just recalled these rumors saying he's gay

Richard knows how to deep throat without getting injured. :angel:

my0118
08-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I knew i would be hit for saying that i had it with gasquet. I love his play.
He is cute and seems to be a very likable person. In the real world I would have admired his attitude about winning isnt everything! for an athlete I also can admire that (alittle though not as much!). But winning should be somewhere on his agenda and right now playing isn't even on his agenda.

I will always love to watch the guy-BUT I NEVER GET TO! and neither do you die hard fans! I think he is a hypochondriac!!!!! Most reasonable people are at least starting to wonder about him!

But it's not the time you've had it with him.
Seems his condition is certainly not good enough to play!!

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Even if he didn't have a fever, having a sore throat isn't as weak as it sounds. Try running around in the heat for two hours breathing hard with a sore throat. You'll be lucky if you can swallow at all afterwards.

rofe
08-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Good riddance.

Puschkin
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Even knowing that would not tell the whole story, some people feel very ill with only slightly elevated temperatures, while others look rather normal with 39 degrees.

But winning should be somewhere on his agenda and right now playing isn't even on his agenda.

He might be fragile and prone to injuries, but I don't think he got blisters and fever deliberately.

Veronique
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
That's interesting. Personally if I had to choose between a player I like doing the right thing or making me "proud", I'd choose the former. :shrug:

That's why one is a champ and the other is starting to look more and more like a wuss. Have you ever heard of Jordan scoring 56 points while running a very high fever? A champ leaves it all on the court. You don't give up without even trying, especially at a GS. That's the reason why Rafa will try to play another round. Just b/c it's the freaking USO. It only comes around 1x a year.

cmurray
08-30-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm not going to point the finger. If his fever is high enough, it could be downright dangerous to play a match. However, a viral infection simply means that he doesn't have strep. And anytime one has a contagious condition, doctors will advise against air travel because the air is circulated and the other passengers could contract it. Doesn't have a thing to do with the severity of the sore throat.

That being said, I feel bad for Richard. Sore throat/fevers SUCK. Get well soon Richie.

Baghdatis72
08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
He could be more careful not to get the viral infection but I don't know how he got it exactly so that is questionable. He seems to be quite unlucky with his injuries and problems lately which forced him to withdraw or retire a few times.

He seems to be a bit fragile mentally and physically and it's up to him to try and fix that if he wants to progress.

Godiva
08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Which Grand slam tournament? Which round? When?

So, what you saying is Nadal should have retired, but Richard should have played. One risks his health and you are aginst it, but the other one should do so. :rolleyes:

What a wonderful fan you are, quitting when things get sour. You are not a fan of the guy, but in love with your own expectations of him.

Reading comprehension is important. I said that Nadal is risking permanent injury. His knee problems appear to be chronic. Gasquet could have at least tried. There's always the option to retire if you really can't go on. Playing while less than 100% is nothing novel. Roddick did it a couple of weeks ago and from some reports was puking his guts out. Ended up losing the match but at least he tried. Sampras is legendary in that department.

Look, I'm obviously disappointed that the guy pulled out. Maybe I'm a bit harsh but there seems to be a pattern getting established here and its not encouraging. And you know nothing about my expectations so try to stop making ignorant statements.

mickymouse
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
There are actually fans who prefer to see Gasquet collapse while playing with a viral fever.:rolleyes:
This is not a blister or an ulcer, or discomfort in the joints. It is something that can be life-threatening if you over-exert yourself.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
That's why one is a champ and the other is starting to look more and more like a wuss. Have you ever heard of Jordan scoring 56 points while running a very high fever? A champ leaves it all on the court. You don't give up without even trying, especially at a GS. That's the reason why Rafa will try to play another round. Just b/c it's the freaking USO. It only comes around 1x a year.

Very courageous but also very foolish. It's fine and good to be the hero of the moment but in the long run you have to wonder if you're losing more than you're gaining... :shrug:

case
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
There are actually fans who prefer to see Gasquet collapse while playing with a viral fever.:rolleyes:
This is not a blister or an ulcer, or discomfort in the joints. It is something that can be life-threatening if you over-exert yourself.

That is really uncalled for to suggest that any one here wants to see a player collapse.

He did not look that ill at his press conference:rolleyes: but he might be very sick, but he DOES keep getting sick and injured. LIfe threatening might be over the top dont you think?

Veronique
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Reading comprehension is important. I said that Nadal is risking permanent injury. His knee problems appear to be chronic. Gasquet could have at least tried. There's always the option to retire if you really can't go on. Playing while less than 100% is nothing novel. Roddick did it a couple of weeks ago and from some reports was puking his guts out. Ended up losing the match but at least he tried. Sampras is legendary in that department.

Look, I'm obviously disappointed that the guy pulled out. Maybe I'm a bit harsh but there seems to be a pattern getting established here and its not encouraging. And you know nothing about my expectations so try to stop making ignorant statements.

Exactly! People are acting as if this is an isolated incident. Would we be discussing this if there weren't an established pattern of behavior here?

DrJules
08-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Funny world.

Gasquet criticised for not playing and Nadal criticised for playing in different threads.

mickymouse
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
That is really uncalled for to suggest that any one here wants to see a player collapse.

He did not look that ill at his press conference:rolleyes: but he might be very sick, but he DOES keep getting sick and injured. LIfe threatening might be over the top dont you think?
There have been cases of death due to physical exertion while the body is not up to it. This is the worst scenario but it's still a possibility. Maybe it's not happened to anyone you know so you tend to discount this likelihood.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Exactly! People are acting as if this is an isolated incident. Would we be discussing this if there weren't an established pattern of behavior here?

Let's see, if we're talking about retirements/withdrawals, in the past twelve months, he has withdrawn against Safin (Bercy 06), retired against Hewitt (Cincy 07) and withdrawn against Young (USO 07). If you're referring to matches where he doesn't put in his best effort (which I'm highly critical of myself), I'm not sure you're justified in lumping those together with the retirements/withdrawals. :)

my0118
08-30-2007, 07:51 PM

I bet you would criticise Gasquet as well if he quit during th match because he didn't try his best on the court.
And the thing you've mistaken is you consider the different injuries the same.

Puschkin
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Reading comprehension is important. I said that Nadal is risking permanent injury.

Even worse then.

Gasquet could have at least tried. There's always the option to retire if you really can't go on.

He would have been bashed, too, and it was maybe less risky on the mid or long-term. Only he knows how he really feels. And if he decided not to go out there, one has to accept it. One can criticise poor play when one sees it, but one can't comment on the state of health of a player from a TV interview.

GonzoFed
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
This thread must be nominated for best thread of the year.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Eric Deblicker: "He has a sore throat and he doesn't go on court! But it's not just that. It's viral and the immunity system is affected. He cannot move on court. It's not a decision that was taken lightheartedly."

How dare his coach defend him??? They are in this together! French mental midgets!!!

Merton
08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Eric Deblicker: "He has a sore throat and he doesn't go on court! But it's not just that. It's viral and the immunity system is affected. He cannot move on court. It's not a decision that was taken lightheartedly."

Ah, it doesn't matter. Some posters here know better.

silverwhite
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Ah, it doesn't matter. Some posters here know better.

It would seem that those are in the minority, I'm afraid.

Mariana_lcf
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
yes Merton, u obviously know how he is feeling and if he was fit to play:rolleyes:

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I've actually done that.

This isn't team sports where you can rest on some plays and take a few plays off. If Gasquet had a fever of say 100 plus and was playing out under he midday sun on hardcourts, there is no way he could beat anyone unless that opponent hit the ball into the net on every point. You could go out there and maybe go through a set on adrenaline but that's about it.

On another note, you should try and learn something about the game and post some analysis of the matches rather than the trite and repetitive, "No warriors, no fighters" garbage.

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
This thread should be nominated for moronic thread of the year. W/o any questions.

Laura12
08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh dear Lord, I just realized something. So, I was at the US Open last Friday and I met Richard. Well, I was sick at the time (I still am for that matter)- I'd nearly coughed my lungs out the night before, and I've had a sore throat for a week now, along with a bad cold. My friends are now sick due to catching my germs. Either way, this whole thing better not be my fault, or rather my germs' fault.
Either way, I'm glad he withdrew, I love Richard and wanted to see him play (his was the only match today that I was psyched for), but I played this morning (I live an hour from NYC so the temperature is the same) and it is really hot outside. There is no way he could go out there and play with a fever and expect to be ok. For his sake, I'm glad he withdrew. Feel better soon! :hug:

Merton
08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
yes Merton, u obviously know how he is feeling and if he was fit to play:rolleyes:

Where did I say that? :confused:

rofe
08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh dear Lord, I just realized something. So, I was at the US Open last Friday and I met Richard. Well, I was sick at the time (I still am for that matter)- I'd nearly coughed my lungs out the night before, and I've had a sore throat for a week now, along with a bad cold. My friends are now sick due to catching my germs. Either way, this whole thing better not be my fault, or rather my germs' fault.
Either way, I'm glad he withdrew, I love Richard and wanted to see him play (his was the only match today that I was psyched for), but I played this morning (I live an hour from NYC so the temperature is the same) and it is really hot outside. There is no way he could go out there and play with a fever and expect to be ok. For his sake, I'm glad he withdrew. Feel better soon! :hug:

Gasquet should sue you for loss of pay. (j/k)

Laura12
08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Gasquet should sue you for loss of pay. (j/k)
Seriously, I feel so wretched about the whole thing. If it really is my fault. I tend to blame myself for a lot of things, and right now I'm really wishing I hadn't gotten that picture with Richard. :(

Kuhne
08-30-2007, 08:21 PM
vva le france

richie21
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Gasquet will bounce back,i'm convinced.
I think that this forced withdraw could be a bless in disguise for him in the mid term: it will probably accentuate his desire to win in the next few months
He always says that he isn t worried by his recent results and that he has widely the time to win big titles but now i think he might start to realize that time passes very quickly ,especially when you often suffer from injuries....and so he will not want to lose time anymore.
Don't burry him.

GrosjeantheGreat
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Seriously, I feel so wretched about the whole thing. If it really is my fault. I tend to blame myself for a lot of things, and right now I'm really wishing I hadn't gotten that picture with Richard. :(

Ah! Ze evil Americanz are to blame for diz! I should have known! Diz iz war madame-diz iz not ze last thou will hear of diz, I assure you.

*Jumpz into hiz tank*

*Roundz up ze battalionz*

Grosjeanitez, tonight we take out ze president of America!

Onward!

Laura12
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Ah! Ze evil Americanz are to blame for diz! I should have known! Diz iz war madame-diz iz not ze last thou will hear of diz, I assure you.

*Jumpz into hiz tank*

*Roundz up ze battalionz*

Grosjeanitez, tonight we take out ze president of America!

Onward!
:lol:
I fully support you in this endeavor!
I'm about as anti-American as you can get in tennis. There is not a single US player I support. Truly. It's not even about the players themselves, it's more about them being American. It sounds horrible, I know, but I do not support the Americans in any sports. Perhaps because I'm not American...

fmolinari2005
08-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Very courageous but also very foolish. It's fine and good to be the hero of the moment but in the long run you have to wonder if you're losing more than you're gaining... :shrug:

I totally agree with you.

Btw: If I am not mistaken, it was a viral infection that hampered Henin's and Ferrero's career for quite sometime. Even Ancic pulled out quoting mononucleosis.

Some guys are too much into this "spartan" routine. And I thought that the only bad thing about that horrible movie were the one and a half I lost at the cinema ...Oh, it is beyond me saying that Gasquet chocked because he would be playing Young.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Please go search out Roger and demand a photo with him. :angel:

I'm about as anti-American as you can get in tennis. There is not a single US player I support. Truly. It's not even about the players themselves, it's more about them being American. It sounds horrible, I know, but I do not support the Americans in any sports. Perhaps because I'm not American...
:lol: And some people here think I'm overreacting when I say there's a lot of anti-Americanism on this board. Thanks for showing them that I'm not crazy. :hug:

Beat
08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I've played with worse symptoms.
and surely best of three in a grand slam, too?

Laura12
08-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Please go search out Roger and demand a photo with him. :angel:

:lol: And some people here think I'm overreacting when I say there's a lot of anti-Americanism on this board. Thanks for showing them that I'm not crazy. :hug:

Well, Roger seems to be immune to my curse, I saw him back in 2005 and he won. Almost half the people I saw Friday are out already. I think I really am a jinx.
Lol, well, I'm not that anti-American. It's more that living here makes me more anti-American than I naturally would be because of this American tendency to presume to be the best country ever. When I'm here, I diss America. When I'm back home in Europe, I'll defend it. I suppose it's the underdog phenomenon on a social level.

tufani
08-30-2007, 10:30 PM
When I got a fever I couldn't even walk straight, so I know what that is. And you are talking about playing a tennis match. Don't be ridiculous!

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
case, what a true fan.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
08-31-2007, 08:45 AM

yesterday on the telly Richard said in interview that he was suffering from a viral infection and that actually a lot of people here in New-York have fallen ill. He also confirmed that he was not sick when entering the tournament.... but don't worry too much Richard didn't tell to the entire world: "hey you know... it's da *li'l*Laura12 of MTF who contaminated me" ;)

bah c'est la vie!

Pimmchanok
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
I had a feeling that something was going around, because I saw some of the players were blowing their nose and such, during the breaks

thesupreme
08-31-2007, 10:22 AM

If you're willing to ditch a player because they are ill then that shows what kind of lame fan you are. Only support when times are good do you? Do me a favour....he doesnt owe you ANYTHING, he used his own judgement to decide whether to continue or not. S you reckon he's not interested in winning? That he travelled to the US Open for some kind of joke?

The only joke here is you and your pathetic whiny thread, like you know ANYTHING about the rigors of professional tennis play, esp. when ill. I aint a pro either and i aint no expert but i sure as hell would give Gasquet the benefit of the doubt rather than act like some jilted lover with a betrayal complex....

*wack*

Doggy
08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I know why Gasquet has a sore throat. He must get himself to the hospital as quickly as possibly. That STD he caught from Roddick can really damage his career :eek:

Forehander
08-31-2007, 11:25 AM
I know why Gasquet has a sore throat. He must get himself to the hospital as quickly as possibly. That STD he caught from Roddick can really damage his career :eek:

HA HA HA HA

U're very funny.

Rusty Rock
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
This is possibly the most disgusting retirement I have ever seen in my whole life, of any sport. We always knew he was a pansy, but this is the action of a complete disgrace to tennis. Whats next for retiring a match, a paper cut?

I have always liked his game, but I'm almost feeling sick myself because of this retirement. He should have tried playing no matter what happened. This kind of thing is only discomfort, it is not going to do harm by playing, or really disable him. So what the hell is this part time sportsman thinking?

williaer
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Everyone just give the poor kid a break! It's all good and well you can sit there in front of your computer screen and yak on about how you've done sport with a 300 degree fever and whatever but none of you know what he's feeling inside. You think he just couldn't be bothered to play and wanted to go sightseeing all day? I'm pretty sure if he pulled out (due to medical advice from doctors at the Open) it was for a legitimate reason, especially seeing as he can't even fly for a couple of days. If there was any chance he'd be able to get out there and play to even 75% of his capability, I'm sure he would have. In an interview he said he wasn't even at 50% and if he had been at 80% he would have had a go. If he couldn't even practice properly earlier that day, how the hell do you all expect him to play 3 sets in the searing heat?

Laura12
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
yesterday on the telly Richard said in interview that he was suffering from a viral infection and that actually a lot of people here in New-York have fallen ill. He also confirmed that he was not sick when entering the tournament.... but don't worry too much Richard didn't tell to the entire world: "hey you know... it's da *li'l*Laura12 of MTF who contaminated me" ;)

bah c'est la vie!
Well, I feel slightly better now, so thanks. :hug:

case
08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
If you're willing to ditch a player because they are ill then that shows what kind of lame fan you are. Only support when times are good do you? Do me a favour....he doesnt owe you ANYTHING, he used his own judgement to decide whether to continue or not. S you reckon he's not interested in winning? That he travelled to the US Open for some kind of joke?

The only joke here is you and your pathetic whiny thread, like you know ANYTHING about the rigors of professional tennis play, esp. when ill. I aint a pro either and i aint no expert but i sure as hell would give Gasquet the benefit of the doubt rather than act like some jilted lover with a betrayal complex....

*wack*

this is nonsense. :rolleyes: Only support him in good times? alot of people here know I've supported him through all his downs (there have been few ups).
No i dont know much about the spoiled lifestyle of the upper level tennis player. Traveling all over the world someone else's expense. Staying at the best hotels. Getting free food. All at someone else's expense. And then when I do show up, I get PAID JUST FOR SHOWING UP. Get paid more for winning. He has been getting this money since he was very young. He IS SPOILED!
He even gets paid for wearing clothes-can you say that? I had a friend once who got paid for REMOVING her clothes but that is a different matter!
When I got out of high school I went to work at a fish cannery. Nearly killed me! Heavy, hard, cold, wet, long hours of work.But I SURVIVED!~!
Dont tell me about working sick when you are doing something physical. I was NOT being paid thousands and thousand of dollars for it either.
Gasquet, like all the top 20 players, gets paid a substantial amount of money for "showing up". He DOES owe me and all tennis fans something -He is PAID to . If Gasquet keeps this up appearance money will disappear, his game will suffer and his ability to win will dry up. Like everything else,
you have to use it or you lose it.

Puschkin
08-31-2007, 03:21 PM
He DOES owe me and all tennis fans something -He is PAID to.

This is over the the top - What did you invest in him that he owes you something? Typing some messages on an PC? :rolleyes: Calm down. Your disappointment makes you look rather ridiculous to me.

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
this is nonsense. :rolleyes: Only support him in good times? alot of people here know I've supported him through all his downs (there have been few ups).
No i dont know much about the spoiled lifestyle of the upper level tennis player. Traveling all over the world someone else's expense. Staying at the best hotels. Getting free food. All at someone else's expense. And then when I do show up, I get PAID JUST FOR SHOWING UP. Get paid more for winning. He has been getting this money since he was very young. He IS SPOILED!
He even gets paid for wearing clothes-can you say that? I had a friend once who got paid for REMOVING her clothes but that is a different matter!
When I got out of high school I went to work at a fish cannery. Nearly killed me! Heavy, hard, cold, wet, long hours of work.But I SURVIVED!~!
Dont tell me about working sick when you are doing something physical. I was NOT being paid thousands and thousand of dollars for it either.
Gasquet, like all the top 20 players, gets paid a substantial amount of money for "showing up". He DOES owe me and all tennis fans something -He is PAID to . If Gasquet keeps this up appearance money will disappear, his game will suffer and his ability to win will dry up. Like everything else,

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

ReturnWinner
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
he has an infection viral, he can feel hymself very bad, without too much energy ,with fever , and i think i read he has angina , so he has his tonsils inflamed,

so that state is not very proper to play tennis,he can not concentrate too much

zimzim
08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Gasquet himself is a lot more disappointed than any of his so-called "fans" right now.Exactly! Please guys give Richard a break! Get well soon Richie :hug:

thesupreme
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM

1. All those ‘faults’ you list for pro tennis players, ie. the spoilt rich lifestyle they earned & created, etc, is their reality, deal with it rather than whine...it aint new plus you come off sounding mad jealous...

2. Being a nobody at some sh*tty little fish cannery that nobody cares about (unless its mealtime) contrasts heavily with being a much loved pro tennis player on a gruelling circuit, being watch and obssessed over being millions. They’re analyzed every day, the physical exertion and training they go through is Herculean, and their life isn’t their own, even if he happened went to store to buy some sh*tty can of fish that you made.

3. Having a viral fever (that he didnt make up, coincidentally) affects your ability to play sport and is TRANSMISSABLE, not a good look, my guess is it’s a better idea he doesn’t play?

4. Now this may come as a shock but, ta da...HE DOESN’T OWE YOU ANYTHING. Not even a 4th rate performance in a 2nd or 3rd round of a Grand Slam. He doesn’t even know you, need to know you or any of your bogus opinions as some armchair commentator. Him quitting in one tounrney for a legit reason shouldn’t be a major disappointment in your life, i'd think about that before you type again...

case
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
2. Being a nobody at some sh*tty little fish cannery that nobody cares about (unless its mealtime) contrasts heavily with being a much loved pro tennis player on a gruelling circuit, being watch and obssessed over being millions.
They’re analyzed every day, the physical exertion and training they go through is Herculean, and their life isn’t their own, even if he happened went to store to buy some sh*tty can of fish that you made.
Him quitting in one tounrney for a legit reason shouldn’t be a major disappointment in your life, i'd think about that before you type again...

On behalf of all us that have actually worked for a living thanks for calling us SHIT that no one cares about. That can of shit helped put me through college and eventually grad school. It also fed many people. Not really a useless job.
Gasquet isn't a major disappointment in my life but people like you who call workers shit and tennis players Herculean are.:rolleyes:

I dont know you personally but I think in the real world you might be shit.
You seem to know so much about it.

I am not arguing about this any more.

thesupreme
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
For arguments sake read 'sh*tty little fish cannery' as 'wonderful & important fish cannery' and see if it makes a difference to the topic at hand. Comprende?

And to all the people who graft hard out there, keep doing what you do without jealousy, its all for the greater good...

GrosjeantheGreat
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
On behalf of all us that have actually worked for a living thanks for calling us SHIT that no one cares about. That can of shit helped put me through college and eventually grad school. It also fed many people. Not really a useless job.

Ze Grosjean rezpectz fish cannery workerz.

G4.
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
And to all the people who graft hard out there, keep doing what you do without jealousy, its all for the greater good...

thanks for the advice

GrosjeantheGreat
08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
For arguments sake read 'sh*tty little fish cannery' as 'wonderful & important fish cannery' and see if it makes a difference to the topic at hand. Comprende?

Do not patronize fish cannery workerz monsewer. Where would ze Great One be without hiz sardines?

thesupreme
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM

Do not patronize fish cannery workerz monsewer. Where would ze Great One be without hiz sardines?

I think his fish of choice probably could be salmon or real fish rather than some sh*tty sardines that may have put someone through college....non?

case
08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I think his fish of choice probably could be salmon or real fish rather than some sh*tty sardines that may have put someone through college....non?

Try smoked salmon-idiot!

my0118
08-31-2007, 05:05 PM
This thread will be "How many kinds of fish exist on earth?" thread.

Louche
08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Someone who is a famous tennis player and has money has more value as a human being than someone who works a "regular" job and should be held to different standards? If that's what you believe, OK. Maybe I'm missing your point. :shrug:

World Beater
08-31-2007, 10:53 PM
gasquet is a very good player who has some bad luck as of late. Just hope he doesnt have it come back throughout his career like it did for tommy haas.

the dude is only 20/21? He has time on his side, and its only a matter of time before the results become more consistent.

the problem is that his fans expect him to be the next federer or have results like nadal at a young age. Gasquet will be top 10 and have very good results in his career.

Dina
08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
why don't you become a federer fan

Forehander
09-01-2007, 02:36 AM

I can relate to what you're saying but u're really getting a bit over dramatic here... It's hard to judge because Gasquet himself doesn't live an easy life too. Tennis players suffer their own level of troubles. Even as a 13-14 year old myself in Australia, playing in the junior under 14's national I am always constantly under spot light and the pressure at times is totally unbearable. I have cried many times at home for the past two years due to not living up to expectations from playing in tournaments etc where sponsorships, the academy and association expect me to do well. We don't have much of a life ourselves and we must follow hard routines in order to reach the level we're in. 4-5-6 hours training everyday, a controlled diet, early sleep etc and the cycle just goes on and on. There's just not much of a life. Even in Australia here and I am only a junior kid I suffer from such pressure... Can you imagine Gasquet in France??! I can't! Sometimes we just want to enjoy our tennis, but it's hard unless u're like Roger Federer. So don't be blinded, it's alot harder than you think. I know there are tons of people out there who lives a hard as life out there, but it's simply incomparable in such a way. Your life of working in fish cannery can't be compared with the level of suffer which poor African nations must go through every single day. They even have trouble searching for food and water. Every single person is different and has a different level of tolerence.

Ze Grosjean rezpectz fish cannery workerz.

I've met my best friend here!!!! A person as much of or possibly greater Grosjean fan than I am!!!!! Bonjour!!! Nice to meet you!!! Je m'appelle Forehander!!! :D WHOHOoO! Go Gro GO Forehaaannnddd~~~ (this is the sign I hold up when i watched him live few years back :))