Safin Still Feels He Can Win Another Slam - Article Adds He Has No Career Regrets [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin Still Feels He Can Win Another Slam - Article Adds He Has No Career Regrets

Rumour
08-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Interesting USA Today piece (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/open/2007-08-29-tennis-us-open-safin_N.htm) following Safin's USO first round win over Dancevic:

Once-volatile Safin more subdued late in career
DOUGLAS ROBSON
29 August 2007

NEW YORK — The stage was set for a classic Marat Safin moment. Returning serve on match point in a tense third-set tiebreaker against Frank Dancevic on Wednesday afternoon, Safin had climbed all over a second serve when a strange noise suddenly boomed over the stadium loudspeaker.

The chair umpire rightfully called a let to replay the point. Safin looked up in disbelief and disgust but slowly walked back to receive. He then lost the point.

Would he go postal? Destroy a racket? Charge the umpire? Mutter and gesture in loud voices to himself?

Not this time. Like more things of late, Safin buried it. On the next match point he stepped up and fired his 19th ace, sealing a first-round win against Canadian qualifier Dancevic 7-5, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (9-7) to book a second-round match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland.

"Hopefully, it will never happen again," Safin said of the odd interruption while cracking his trademark grin.

It's always been tough to read the Moscow-born resident of Monaco. Mercurial, moody and exceptionally talented, Safin has earned fans as much for his outsized tennis as for his explosive unpredictability.

Big, at 6-4, and agile, the 2000 U.S. Open champ possesses a rare mix of speed and power. Safin, who has dissed Wimbledon, tortured unknown quantities of rackets and once dropped his shorts after hitting a spectacular winner, also has been that other rare mix: a Technicolor character who could win big.

Since capturing the 2000 U.S. Open at 20 and briefly ascending to No. 1, the Russian's name has rarely strayed far from the list of potential Grand Slam contenders. Despite bursts of brilliance, Safin has become more of an afterthought as injuries, age and apparent lack of commitment have taken their toll.

His last title came in early 2005, when he beat Roger Federer at the Australian Open on his way to a second Grand Slam title — the last man to beat Federer on a hardcourt at a Grand Slam and the last Grand Slam champ other than Federer or Rafael Nadal. This season, his best showing is a semifinal at Las Vegas, and he has suffered losses in the last few months to Janko Tipsarevic, Hyung-Taik Lee, Simone Bolleli and Kristof Vliegen.

"For me to make quarterfinal, it's a huge, huge deal lately," he says. "So kind of not expecting anything from this tournament and nothing from this year."

Safin is realistic about his No. 25 seeding, but not afraid to admit he still feels capable of winning majors.

"Basically I hope that I will have a chance to win another Grand Slam," he says. "It's tougher and tougher, but why not? There is a chance."

Smiling, he explains how: "If (Roger) Federer will lose to somebody, somebody will withdraw, (Rafael) Nadal will have something happen to him, the door is open."

If Safin often wrestles with demons in his head, he's not grappling with the past.

"Yeah, but who cares?" he answers when asked if his straight-sets whipping of Pete Sampras in the 2000 U.S. Open remains the best match of his career. "It's so far in the past. It's already history. It's a long time ago. It's time to move on."

And in case you didn't get his point, he adds: "I hate the people when they still live in the past and saying how great they were in, I don't know, in the past century."

Clearly, Safin isn't dwelling on his tennis past. The question is, how much future remains?

Injuries to his left wrist in 2003 and to his left knee in 2005 sidelined him for big chunks of the season and exacerbated his already erratic nature. His rankings the last seven years are yoyo-like: 2, 11, 3, 77, 4, 13, 26.

"It kind of broke the rhythm of my career," he says of the injuries. "I could have achieved more, but I didn't."

Safin says he has no regrets, even if some label him an underachiever. With more than $13 million in career prize money, tennis has made him rich and comfortable, allowing him to wine, dine and crisscross the globe.

"I'm not disappointed with my career," says Safin, who has reached four Grand Slam finals and won two Davis Cup titles with Russia.

He insists he remains motivated to return to the top — otherwise, why bother?

"It's not like I'm struggling with the money," he says. "It's not like I need it. I'm here just because I want to play and I'm enjoying playing. I'm enjoying fighting. I'm enjoying what I'm doing."

To shore up his game and shaky self-belief, Safin hired former pro Hernan Gumy of Argentina five weeks ago. Both say the partnership is paying off.

"He's starting to feel a little more confident," says Gumy, who has previously coached Guillermo Canas, Gustavo Kuerten and Guillermo Coria. "He's a guy who has the talent, who knows about the game. He will have a chance again."

If titles are scarce, the taste of victory remains sweet — "the most beautiful feeling in the world you're going to get," according to Safin.

"I think it kind of attracts you," he says. "It's what is moving you. And you still want to win matches and matches, so I think the motivation is there."

Rogiman
08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I hope that I will have a chance to win another Grand Slam," he says. "It's tougher and tougher, but why not? There is a chance."
:haha:

MariaV
08-30-2007, 07:41 AM

You're way too obsessed with players you don't like. :wavey:

Forehander
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM

what so funny?

rmb6687
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Smiling, he explains how: "If (Roger) Federer will lose to somebody, somebody will withdraw, (Rafael) Nadal will have something happen to him, the door is open."

:yeah: thats a great way to think! haha.

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
You're way too obsessed with players you don't like. :wavey:

He's way less obsessed with Marat than you are with the ego king... :o

Rogiman
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
You're way too obsessed with players you don't like. :wavey:Never said I disliked Safin :shrug:

He's overrated, that's all.

Rogiman
08-30-2007, 07:52 AM
He's way less obsessed with Marat than you are with the ego king... :oTo be fair, she isn't obsessed with Fed at all.

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 07:53 AM
To be fair, she isn't obsessed with Fed at all.

Fair enough. She's obsessed with Fed fans though... :D

mer
08-30-2007, 07:54 AM
The title is misleading :shrug:

The_Nadal_effect
08-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Nice interview.

Now I hope he makes it to the third round.

Turquoise
08-30-2007, 08:16 AM
At least he's candid. He's not expecting much from this tournament or anything else this year. His first round win against Dancevic was a good start, but it will mean nothing if he can't get past the next round. I have a lot of respect for his ability to perform in grand slams and hope he strings together a few matches at this US Open.

Rumour
08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
The title is misleading :shrug:
How so? Obviously the focus of the article, especially the first half, is on Safin seemingly mellowing with age. Yet I personally found his quotes towards the end about not living in the past and being motivated to win in the present, even without great expectations, to be far more revealing.

Many doubters have written the Russian off completely, particularly with so much Slam focus on Federer, Nadal and now Djoko... Even if his fiery temperament seems to be cooling a bit with maturity - much to some reporters' disappointment (another related piece was particularly hilarious in that regard) - apparently his desire to win hasn't.

Burrow
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
The only funny thing about this thread is rogi mans appearance, so predictable his obssesion and jealousy burning for Safin :lol:

Love it.

Rumour
09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
So much for the calmer, gentler Safin - looks like he was back to his old racqueteering ways in the loss to Wawrinka :fiery:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070831/capt.sge.pwu55.310807205412.photo02.photo.default-355x512.jpg

scoobs
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm glad he has no regrets - that's a nice place to be, if it's true.

On the winning another slam - it's not impossible, but if he's been pounded out of the US Open by a good but not great player like Wawrinka in straight sets, then it's not looking on the cards.

Doggy
09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Safin says he doesn't care about the money, but boy, he needs to give all that moolah to me if he's not gonna use it. :sad: :rocker:

Jimnik
09-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I see him winning Wimby next year. :smoke:

The AO is still his best and probably only chance of winning another slam.

Minotaur
09-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Safin looks like done. Really he needs to practice very very hard to get at least to 1/2 of a small tournament. His wish for a GS is just a complete joke

clandis
09-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I hope he's really trying to improve his movement and his forehand. I'm a fan but he's hard to watch now.

Alex999
09-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Safin is the coolest guy ever. Safin can do whatever Safin wants. I want to be Safin :-)

Mateya
09-01-2007, 08:50 PM
:retard: :smash:

He will have to play a "little bit better" than yesterday if he wants to win a challenger.

Blah, its one and only, Marat Safin :rolleyes: