Federer def Capdeville 61 64 64 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def Capdeville 61 64 64

scoobs
08-30-2007, 02:59 AM
The champion looks in excellent form early on

Capdeville put up what resistance he could but all areas of Federer's game were solid tonight.

And looking awesome in the black too - good stuff :yeah:

Marek.
08-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Very entertaining match from both players. :cool:

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Many stretches of A class tennis from the ninja.. who was wearing all black today... and looking good!

45 winners to 11 UE

31/43 net points won

5/9 BP taken

5 aces

63% First serves

Serve was not as good as in the 1st round, however his forehand AND backhand had good depth and he smacked them around all day, hitting winners off both sides. His backhand slice today was very sharp, spinny and flat.

Capdeville played well for most of the match but Fed was just too good.

Good work!

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Capdeville played great and Roger was great too. This is the best he's looked since at least the Safin match at Wimbledon, if not the AO final.

shotgun
08-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Capdeville is the real Chilean #1. :)

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Fed's A-game finally since AO 2007!

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Sorry about my thread.. I checked a few times and still saw that nobody had created one.. so I decided I would but then I discovered that you beat me to it.

Good play from Federer, when the threads are merged you will see the stats and a couple of opinions.

rofe
08-30-2007, 03:03 AM
All parts of his game were working today. WTF? I think it is the all black attire. ;)

Capdeville gave a good account of himself.

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Nifty thread-merging feature....

*Viva Chile*
08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Capdeville is the real Chilean #1. :)

I hope Gildemeister heard your words for the DC. :angel:

Congrats to Roger "referee" Federer :p

marcRD
08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
It was an exhibition out there, FEderer was never really serious except when he got broken, he just wanted to gve something to the crowd in this match. There is no way anyone is beating Federer playing like this. That black shoes and clothes matched so good with Federer, it really looked like a ninja suit. Was this for his fans?

Voo de Mar
08-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Decent play by Cap :devil: le

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
marcRD, I agree.

Some of Federer's shotmaking was absolutely exquisite. There was one particular point where he hit a biting slice DTL and then a pinpoint accurate slice to the other corner.. running Capdeville ragged.. and then finished off the point with a well controlled CC FH .. leaving Capdeville helpess. :worship:

It was just splendid.

Sjengster
08-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Capdeville played enterprising all-court tennis which I had heard was his game, and made Federer earn the victory in the third set keeping it to just one break. Glad to see Federer execute a Sampras-style slam-dunk overhead at last, it didn't match the effortlessness of the great man but it was fairly smooth.

lucashg
Loved his performance today and the all black outfit. It's been such a long time since I last saw him hitting winners so easily and toying his opponent around with such authority. And Capdeville played well too. Good and entertaining match. Keep up the ninja mode, Roger!

fedsfan1
He is BACK IN BLACK!!!!

BRAVO CHAMP!!!!

the title is his if he can play like that the whole tourney!!!

sykotique
08-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Best match he has played since AO this year, but Capdeville's lack of strength and speed made it easier than it should have been. It was good to see Federer hitting winners cleanly on the run again, instead of lunging half-heartedly and he timed his sneak attacks to the net very well.

Capdeville was very good from a technical standpoint. Athletically, he needs to improve. A lot. He should also invest in a first serve. He has a nice game though.

Yappa
Only watched the last few games. Capdeville made it a closer match than I expected.

And yeah, that outfit ist pure class. "Black is beautiful" as some ppl would say. That's why I also liked Hingis' black outfit which she wore in 2006.

MatchFederer
Capdeville played enterprising all-court tennis which I had heard was his game, and made Federer earn the victory in the third set keeping it to just one break. Glad to see Federer execute a Sampras-style slam-dunk overhead at last, it didn't match the effortlessness of the great man but it was fairly smooth.

Absolutely.. it was a fine slam dunk, just needs a little refining. :devil:

Polikarpov
Loved Roger's outfit! And he played well with it also.

I have to say, that Capdeville is a bit talkative.

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 03:09 AM
And looking awesome in the black too - good stuff :yeah:

Hate the patent looking shoes but that black shirt was :drool: on Roger.

Roger looked very good and sharp. Paul can have an appealing game and played pretty well in the last two sets- but he was no match for Roger today. I wonder though if he should put some weight on so he could be more of a factor- because he can be nice to watch.

neenah
08-30-2007, 03:09 AM
Great, great match. :D

sawan66278
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
As a Rafa fan, all I can say about Roger tonight: PURE GENIUS. And, the ninja outfit was slick. Loved the black socks, too.

Was I the only one who was really hoping Roger pulled off the between the legs passing shot cross-court? It would have been one for the U.S. Open time capsule, a la Andre behind the back passing shot against Corretja.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Rofe.. I actually think it had a hand in the matter. He looked so casual and easy in the black, it seemed to affect his on court demeanour a little and made him an ultimate ninja/showman.

yanchr
08-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Some of Federer's shotmaking was absolutely exquisite. There was one particular point where he hit a biting slice DTL and then a pinpoint accurate slice to the other corner.. running Capdeville ragged.. and then finished off the point with a well controlled CC FH .. leaving Capdeville helpess. :worship:

It was just splendid.
I remember that point, and I simply loved it :hearts: I was laughing out loud after he hit the point :D

Great play by Roger! I esp like how his backhand starts to work again, after the abysmal US series :D

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:12 AM
As a Rafa fan, all I can say about Roger tonight: PURE GENIUS. And, the ninja outfit was slick. Loved the black socks, too.

Was I the only one who was really hoping Roger pulled off the between the legs passing shot cross-court? It would have been one for the U.S. Open time capsule, a la Andre behind the back passing shot against Corretja.
:worship: It's nice to have a Rafa fan who actually will say Roger can play a good match.

(I have the same complaint about Federer fans too.)

krystlel
08-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Nice match. It felt a lot like an exhibition.

Or Levy
08-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Oh man, I fell asleep around 2 AM, probably an a hour and a half before the match begun.

Hitting winners? beautiful shotmaking? Roger's A game? Pretty in Black?

Can't believe I SLEPT through it!

Well, it is way better than getting up and find out he had lost like in IW.

The night matches are going to be the death of me.

Polikarpov
08-30-2007, 03:17 AM
marcRD, I agree.

It was just splendid.

That point was great! The reaction from Capdeville after that was funny.

Sunset of Age
08-30-2007, 03:17 AM
A lovely and truly convincing Knight in Black Armour! tonight. :worship:
Glad I stayed up the night to see him play.

Kudos to Capdeville as well. Entertaining match! Thanks both ye gentlemen! :hatoff:

rofe
08-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Rofe.. I actually think it had a hand in the matter. He looked so casual and easy in the black, it seemed to affect his on court demeanour a little and made him an ultimate ninja/showman.

You may be on to something...

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Capdeville brought his own A game into the fray, if he hadn't been playing as well as he was then this Fed performance would have sunk him 1,1 and 0 probably.

MAJOR credit to the 'Deville... quality stuff.

Fergie
08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Very good match Rogi :yeah:

Nice try Paul :hug:

lina_seta
08-30-2007, 03:27 AM
ROGER IS BAAAAACK IN BLAACCKKKK to win this USO :D :D :D GO NINJA

this is THE BEST ive seen him play in a lonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time... i would say his A game...
totally in control... beautiful shots all around... FH and Bh, any and every shot was working well... no one is likely to stop him playing like this... (he would have bagelled today's nadal)

I SO HAPPY roger's playing absolutely FEDLIKE =)

he was only once a break down in the second set, and he played 3 AMAZING passing shots to break back! absolutely breathtaking
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Rumour
08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
As I mentioned in the scoring thread, this match was the complete polar opposite of the Nadal-Jones debacle display earlier today as both players performed well, or exceptionally in Fed's case :yeah:

Alex999
08-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Boring. Roger is so gay in black. What's next, pink?

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Roger upped his game. (As he always does in GS) This is the best I've seen him since AO. I admit, I was a little worried with his poor play lately. But this match proved to me that he still has it and is not declining. :)

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Well Lina.. Rumour, we had fun in the scoring thread. :D

Lina, I remember those 3 passing shots, the second one was especially brilliant. :D

it is 4:30 am, I am going to bed... goodnight!

lina_seta
08-30-2007, 03:34 AM

Lina, I remember those 3 passing shots, the second one was especially brilliant. :D

hhaha im so happy to finally see his game back... hope he can maintain it :D

goodnight!

kobulingam
08-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Roger upped his game. (As he always does in GS) This is the best I've seen him since AO. I admit, I was a little worried with his poor play lately. But this match proved to me that he still has it and is not declining. :)

I'll tell you what.. he's shed some weight which has improved his movement (and thus his timing).

He was carrying some extra weight lately and it really hurt his movement (FH side defense was the biggest victim). I knew he wasn't really declining, it was just a fitness thing. But 3-4 straight weeks of play/practice have brought him here in great shape.

Playing cincy really helped roger.

MCL
08-30-2007, 03:37 AM
:dance: Roger :dance:

Great match, great outfit, great tennis, lots of winners...
Of course, there were a few blips in the quality but by and large it was a very entertaining match.

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 03:39 AM

:retard: if he loses a set in the next round, u will say Federer is playing with his "Z game"

tennisrocks123
08-30-2007, 03:39 AM
ROGER lookin FRESH in BLACK. and he played magnificently..

Who else got annoyed at Capdeville for arguing with the chair ump for like ever. and apparently, johnny mac said he was a "feisty character". more like a prick.

Rumour
08-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Yes we did and good job on the point-by-point commentary - wish my description and typing were a fraction as good as yours :bowdown:

Sleep well and sweet dreams :zzz:

Marek.
08-30-2007, 03:46 AM
Boring. Roger is so gay in black. What's next, pink?

Is that the best you can come up with?

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 03:49 AM
ROGER lookin FRESH in BLACK. and he played magnificently..

Who else got annoyed at Capdeville for arguing with the chair ump for like ever. and apparently, johnny mac said he was a "feisty character". more like a prick.

I didn't mind, really. He did seem to be confused about the time allowed when asking for challenges. And if Blake can get away with taking time to ask his box if he can challenge...eh- make it universal. ;)

Beautiful stuff by Roger tonight- hope he brings that into the next round.

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Yeah Blake could challenge late but Capdeville couldn't. A little unfair but he shouldn't have taken that much time arguing. Surprised Federer kept his cool.

Blondie1985
08-30-2007, 04:00 AM
That was some of the most beautiful tennis I have ever seen - wow! The Fed of old is back

Uraitan
08-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Congrats, Roger ... :banana: :worship:

Good job and good win ... :worship:

GO GO FEDERER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rocker2:

Marek.
08-30-2007, 04:02 AM
Surprised Federer kept his cool.

That ace he hit on the next point sounded kind of angry.:devil:

MrChopin
08-30-2007, 04:31 AM
I don't want to jump the gun too quickly, so I'll say that this was probably only a B+, maaaaybe A- match.

HOWEVER, it is the best I've seen from him since AO '07, and it looked damn nice to see it for an entire match. He was attacking and mixing it up wonderfully (there is so much variation in his game now). I would have liked a more agressive forehand, perhaps a little flatter and deeper, and certainly more down-the-line (I think he still favors cc too much, relative to his "old" forehand), and though his approaches were still a little questionable, he was consistently doing things right from all wings. Even his running forehand was only a minor problem at the start, and by the end, it was looking solid as a cc offensive weapon.

I just hope that he keeps it going, especially when the "full" challenges come: Gasquet, Roddick, Blake, even Isner, and certainly Djokovic in the finals would be so nice. Hopefully he can make that little step up to the rare "A" level, possibly resulting in routing masterpieces that have completely and obviously set him apart in the past, like AO '07 or TMC '06.

And yes, BLACK just looked cooler and cooler as the night went on. He should definitely be wearing that in the next night match, and in general, more often.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-30-2007, 04:33 AM
Paul good fight, im proud of you man... playing against probably the best player of all time and you never give up :yeah:

keep this form Cap:devil:le.... (incredible our only hope right now :o)

Kuhne
08-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Im liking the Ninja thing, I hope it sticks

Rumour
08-30-2007, 04:58 AM
The full ensemble:

http://tinypic.com/54e6s6a.jpg

Magus13
08-30-2007, 05:09 AM
I just got back from the Open and seeing his performance live was unbelieveable.

Adler
08-30-2007, 05:30 AM
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIFEjNkrdA
He wears black during trainings as well

~Marija~
08-30-2007, 05:35 AM
It was great match! Roger played really well, especially in 1st set!
:)

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Too bad I missed it reading the comments... :sad:

groundstroke
08-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Capdeville had some decent serves at times, but Fed was just too good.

Or Levy
08-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Can't believe I didn't get to watch it live. An A level performance at the 2 round of a slam, who knew?

But yea, should have known I wouldn't wake up when I was already yawning at work at 8 PM.

Federerhingis
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM

I still rate it at an A- level which is not surprising, he has not really had to bring his A game just yet. Nevertheless, Capdeville did make good account of himself and had very good rallies with Federer many a times; his groundies are very solid and his return game quite good.

The A- is mainly because he is still not hitting through his backhand, however his slice was quite splendid for most of the 2nd and third sets as someone previously pointed out.

The good news is that his forehand is finding its usual depth and punch and he's returning quite aggressively from this side.

The backhand still needs more grooving and some more work before it's back to the aussie level, I think it will almost be impossible to see it at the level it was at the masters cup '06.

Federerhingis
08-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I don't want to jump the gun too quickly, so I'll say that this was probably only a B+, maaaaybe A- match.

HOWEVER, it is the best I've seen from him since AO '07, and it looked damn nice to see it for an entire match. He was attacking and mixing it up wonderfully (there is so much variation in his game now). I would have liked a more agressive forehand, perhaps a little flatter and deeper, and certainly more down-the-line (I think he still favors cc too much, relative to his "old" forehand), and though his approaches were still a little questionable, he was consistently doing things right from all wings. Even his running forehand was only a minor problem at the start, and by the end, it was looking solid as a cc offensive weapon.

I just hope that he keeps it going, especially when the "full" challenges come: Gasquet, Roddick, Blake, even Isner, and certainly Djokovic in the finals would be so nice. Hopefully he can make that little step up to the rare "A" level, possibly resulting in routing masterpieces that have completely and obviously set him apart in the past, like AO '07 or TMC '06.

And yes, BLACK just looked cooler and cooler as the night went on. He should definitely be wearing that in the next night match, and in general, more often.

Ditto. However, I honestly believe it was an A- performance. Nevertheless, just like you learn in college theres a whole spectrum at the A- level. It usually ranges from 90-93, he hovered today at the 89-91 range. ;) He was definitely better than the 87-89 range or B+ range. :p

Indeed his forehand could gain in the depth and penetration department as we've seen in the past. Nonetheless, there was a rally somewhere in was it the second set or third set?. Where was it a 21 point rally he hit quite a string of forehand half volleys each subsequent stroke harder and deeper than the previous, and Cap did well to defend and even offend against such great struck shots from Rogelio. :worship:

Loftra
08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Those black socks were horrible

Apemant
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Match highlights anywhere? Dang, I had to miss out this match :mad:

VampirE
08-30-2007, 08:57 AM

I'd say it was a strange sight of federer, wearing black socks and shoes. However the black shirt/combo looks so much better than the blue on. Compared with his older uso-shirts, this one is the worst.

dj_mercury
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
No chance for Capdeville yesterday, but what would you expect when you have on the other side:

http://linuxdidattica.org/docs/altre_scuole/msm_p/tic_palladio/2alet/menegaldoa/darth_vader3.jpg

Halba
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
fed ninja sure does know how to put on a show doesn't he, even dressed up for the occasion, glimpses of vintage pete overhead smash mixed up with vintage roger slice/dice and sick backhand cross court angles. fun keep it up roger. these matches u dun bother looking at the score, just watch the aesthetic appeal of roger vs competent but not highly ranked opponents.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Federer showed stretches of A game but on the whole it was A- I agree, but not for the same reasons. I disagree on the BH, he hit it with good depth all match, had very few UE and smacked some winners CC and DTL. Federer showed consistent controlled aggression and mixed it up well. His A- is a result of a lapse in concentration in the 2nd set and the fact that his serve was not as hot as it has been recently along with some not quite soft enough hands on some volleys compared to usual. In fact.. overall one could say this wa a B+ performance, but I am going with A- overall.

Just to remind people of how his groundstrokes, the FH and BH, are back, here are his winners to UE ratio.

45:11

Rogiman
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
No chance for Capdeville yesterday, but what would you expect when you have on the other side:

http://linuxdidattica.org/docs/altre_scuole/msm_p/tic_palladio/2alet/menegaldoa/darth_vader3.jpgR=FK? :scared:

brent-o
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Capdeville played well but I never felt he'd actually win it. From the look on his face, I don't think he did either.

dj_mercury
08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
R=FK? :scared:
Don't know what that means, but it was just a joke on what Federer was wearing yesterday night if it's not clear. :confused:

Pedigree
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I liked the outfit a lot besides the "tuxedo stripe" on the shorts. That was hideous. The rest of the all black I loved.

Sunset of Age
08-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't know what that means, but it was just a joke on what Federer was wearing yesterday night if it's not clear. :confused:

You obviously haven't been around here long enough. ;)
Good joke, BTW. :yeah:

tennisrocks123
08-31-2007, 02:39 AM
more pics?? anyone?

Kuhne
08-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Anybody has the video of the overhead sampras smash?

Marek.
08-31-2007, 05:58 AM

:ras: I thought they looked great, although I'm slightly biased since I only wear black socks. ;) They're the only way to go! :D

HNCS
08-31-2007, 05:59 AM
Anybody has the video of the overhead sampras smash?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/markeyesworld/rogsmash1.gif
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/markeyesworld/rogsmash1a.gif

Marek.
08-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Here is Part 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALRMWnUgzLo) and Part 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-hqwom3BFI) of the highlights from youtube. The Sampras smash is somewhere during part 2 and if you go to mewug's profile it's his background.

EDIT: Didn't notice that someone already posted the smash before me.:D

Eden
08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
more pics?? anyone?

http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0005/2007-08-30/3N525VUM05HE0005.jpg

http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0005/2007-08-30/3N5264F505HE0005.jpg

http://www.terra.es/addon/img/feed/deportes/20070830/7216e6d8eb8b2g.jpg

http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0005/2007-08-30/3N525VUM05HE0005.jpg

http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0005/2007-08-30/3N52609A05HE0005.jpg

For more pictures have a look in the Federer forum here on MTF ;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=107474&page=13

Eden
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Here is Part 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALRMWnUgzLo) and Part 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-hqwom3BFI) of the highlights from youtube.

Thanks for the links Marek :) Couldn't watch the match myself, but I'm so pleased to read about Rogers good performance.

victory1
08-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks Eden:wavey: He looks great!! I don't know why people don't like his black socks, I think they look way better then white sock would with this outfit. I'm a matching freak, so what do I know; I even color coordinate my under clothes!:o