Isner def. De Voest 6-3 6-3 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Isner def. De Voest 6-3 6-3 7-6(4)

Voo de Mar
08-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Isner as a first player in the 3rd round US Open '07 :worship:
De Voest in the 2nd round of Grand Slam is a fluke but this scoreline suggest that Isner isn't one-dimensional player - he broke De Voest's serve 4 times (!) in the first two sets.
In the TB was 5:0 later 5:4 :o

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
some months ago the guy was still in college ,but since a month ago he won a challenger , made an atp final and now a third round in a slam, not bad at all

selyoink
08-30-2007, 03:03 AM
De Voest must have a horrific serve to get broken 4 times by Isner.

It will take Isner an act of god to break Fed's serve. May take an act of god just to get a break point.

Beforehand
The best part of this win is Roger seeing the result, shitting his pants, and dropping serve to Capdeville. McEnroe just reported Roger being like "..." when he saw the result.

cobalt60
I liked it when JMac said "this kid is no one trick pony" :lol:
Good luck against Federer- just hold your own:yeah:

Alex999
08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Well done Isner. I still think Isner should be playing basketball :o

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Isner rules.

Clara Bow
John had some good play outside of just his serve. He bent down very low to be able to make a pretty nice volley. His backhand...ehhh....not too pretty.

I had to laugh when I heard the woofing. It is a University of Georgia Bulldog thing that I imagine must confuse folks who are not familiar with the Dawg woof. And us UGA folks do it quite a bit, I'm afraid. We were woofing up a storm when the NCAAs were held at Georgia in 1995 or 1996. Even as an alum- I can see how it could be a little irritating. :lol:

Havok
The best part of this win is Roger seeing the result, shitting his pants, and dropping serve to Capdeville. McEnroe just reported Roger being like "..." when he saw the result.

Exactly :haha:. That was just classic.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:07 AM
My first thought when Isner won was...."ISNER TO ATTEND THE 'ROGER FEDERER GETS THE BALL BACK IN PLAY SLICE RETURN ORGY'"! :bounce:

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Exactly :haha:. That was just classic.
He fixed it really quickly, it seems, but I can just see Roger's ":tape: Son of a fucking bitch.".

bluefork
08-30-2007, 03:09 AM

Ha. Yeah, I bet Federer is shaking in his sparkley black shoes over the prospect of playing Isner...because, you know, he has such a horrible record against big servers.

Havok
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
De Voest must have a horrific serve to get broken 4 times by Isner.

It will take Isner an act of god to break Fed's serve. May take an act of god just to get a break point.

Fed is known for playing a really shitty service game and getting broken by the weirdest of players. It usually happens during the summer HC season actually. I remember it happen in stretches for a couple of years now where he was going to serve for the set/match and got broken. I've been far too busy to be able to follow Montreal and Cincy very closely though so I don't know if that's the case this year.

Isner will definitely break serve at least once I'd say.

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Ha. Yeah, I bet Federer is shaking in his sparkley black shoes over the prospect of playing Isner...because, you know, he has such a horrible record against big servers.

:haha:

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:12 AM

It's an uncomfortable match, nonetheless. He doesn't like playing Karlovic for the same reason.

I don't think he's scared he'll lose, but he doesn't want to have to play a tiebreak roulette if he doesn't have to.

cobalt60
08-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Isner doesn't have a chance beating Fed but who doesn't want to see a good match? Like the black tuxedo outfit eh?:p

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Fed is known for playing a really shitty service game and getting broken by the weirdest of players. It usually happens during the summer HC season actually. I remember it happen in stretches for a couple of years now where he was going to serve for the set/match and got broken. I've been far too busy to be able to follow Montreal and Cincy very closely though so I don't know if that's the case this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Roger throw Isner a free service break or drop a tiebreak on silly errors.

selyoink
08-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Good luck against Federer- just hold your own:yeah:

I know because he played one good point he is obviously the must complete player on tour :lol:

selyoink
08-30-2007, 03:15 AM

I highly doubt it. Maybe he double faults 4 or is up multiple breaks but otherwise I see no possibility of Isner breaking.

mangoes
08-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Very nice accomplishment for him.........congrats to him. I'm not a fan of his game, but good for him.

bluefork
08-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Like the black tuxedo outfit eh?:p

Ugh. Don't get me started on it. He's only a leather jacket short of Serena's biker outfit. (And who knows, maybe he'll pull that out as a post-match surprise).

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/jon_wertheim/09/06/bag/p1_serena.jpg

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 03:21 AM
:lol: Roger actually dropped his serve when he saw the Isner result. "Oh no, not the American Ivo..."

Anyway, YAY Johnny :banana: Another TB won, not bad. This kid has the loudest, most enthusiastic cheering section I've ever heard. :yeah: John will need all 2,000+ of his rowdy Bulldogs to help him during his next match with Roger. He won't win but at least it'll be a lot more fun to watch than this current Capdeville crap match. :zzz:

jasmin
08-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Good for Isner. I'm happy for him but in general who likes playing someone that tall like Isner or Karlovic. However if Roddick can beat Isner then surely Federer has even more of a chance.

Also how does anyone know Roger saw the results to that other match and lost a game because of it. I mean Roger has at least one bad game and comes back.

cobalt60
08-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Ugh. Don't get me started on it. He's only a leather jacket short of Serena's biker outfit. (And who knows, maybe he'll pull that out as a post-match surprise).

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/jon_wertheim/09/06/bag/p1_serena.jpg

Hmmm I think he would look better in a biker outfit :tape:

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:25 AM
I know because he played one good point he is obviously the must complete player on tour :lol:

He has an all court game. The next Federer for sure. ;)

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:25 AM
:lol: Roger actually dropped his serve when he saw the Isner result. "Oh no, not the American Ivo..."

Anyway, YAY Johnny :banana: Another TB won, not bad. This kid has the loudest, most enthusiastic cheering section I've ever heard. :yeah: John will need all 2,000+ of his rowdy Bulldogs to help him during his next match with Roger. He won't win but at least it'll be a lot more fun to watch than this current Capdeville crap match. :zzz:

Actually Federer has been hitting some nice shots. Maybe it's boring because you don't like Federer and he's winning. :shrug:

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Also how does anyone know Roger saw the results to that other match and lost a game because of it. I mean Roger has at least one bad game and comes back.
McEnroe said he definitely looked up and saw the result on the board in Ashe.

scoobs
08-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Are people expecting Isner to come out and play his best - not be inhibited by being on Ashe against the world #1 in the third round of a grand slam?

I think Isner will do well not to crap himself right there on the court, to be honest.

If he can bring it, though, let's see what happens.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Isner doesn't have a chance beating Fed but who doesn't want to see a good match?
Exactly. As a fan/spectator, a good match is preferable to boring, lopsided wins. It's surprising how some people don't understand that.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Exactly. As a fan/spectator, a good match is preferable to boring, lopsided wins. It's surprising how some people don't understand that.

A good match isn't really defined by closeness of score, though. :shrug:

Rather watch high quality play by one player than "Eh" from two players, but at least they're both equally "Eh".

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2007, 03:34 AM

Fear in Federers eyes is one of the funniest things in tennis.

gusman890
08-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Isner > Federer.

Marek.
08-30-2007, 03:39 AM

Rather watch high quality play by one player than "Eh" from two players, but at least they're both equally "Eh".

Well said.

Allure
08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
It's funny how people say lopsided matches are boring. Two people playing average is more boring. At least Federer brings to his table good quality tennis.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm talking about the competitiveness of a match, not scores, which can be misleading. The Fed-Capdeville match improved in the last two sets when Paul finally got his feet under him. The first set was a wash which is what I was responding to at the time.

case
08-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Very nice accomplishment for him.........congrats to him. I'm not a fan of his game, but good for him.

Im really not a fan of any big server and i am bothered by all the talk of the tall players.

I don't want to see tennis turned into big players doing nothing but serving:eek: and looking like Lurch :eek: :eek: out there.
Serving is the least exciting thing about tennis.
give me shorties at least they can play tennis
tall guys serve tennis.

bad gambler
08-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Go Johnny!!

Fensler
08-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Well done Isner. I still think Isner should be playing basketball :o

I understand what you're saying, but Isner can make more money playing tennis.

And besides, he can also have more self-respect by playing tennis. If he played basketball, he'd just be the big goofy white guy that everybody dreams about dunking on. :D

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm talking about the competitiveness of a match, not scores, which can be misleading. The Fed-Capdeville match improved in the last two sets when Paul finally got his feet under him. The first set was a wash which is what I was responding to at the time.

A competitive match with crap tennis is still crap tennis, though.

Allure
08-30-2007, 04:35 AM

Exactly.

Even though it was an easy win for Federer, he played really good tennis which made the match exciting/ nice to watch. A match could be competitive but between two less talented players making errors every second.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Well, as Tangy freely admits, it became a moot point in the second. Capdeville would have given a lot of players trouble today, when Roger's A game is on, anyone's A game who isn't Nadal on clay looks kind of mediocre.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 04:43 AM
Um, no kidding. That was not the issue.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Um, no kidding. That was never an issue.

So what's your complaint? Look, obviously Federer matches are going to be better if someone's playing their best as well and winning sets. Capdeville got taken out as he should playing just OK with Roger on fire, and then when Capdeville got on fire, Roger's A game was still much, much better. Would a 4-set match with high quality have been better than a straight-sets high quality affair? Well, sure.

But you don't need me to tell you that's not how it works. You already know better.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 04:48 AM
So what's your complaint?
What's yours? :confused:

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:51 AM
What's yours? :confused:

Well, there's a start.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
This is one of those weird arguments where both parties are arguing about the same thing.

MCL
08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
:yeah: I'm glad that John made it to the third round. From the small portion I saw of the match, he was moving pretty well (by his standards). As he improves, hopefully he'll be able to win more games off his opponents' serves.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
This is one of those weird arguments where both parties are arguing about the same thing.

I'm going to rep you as a bribe for sweeping that fact under the rug. :help:

Allure
08-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Maybe if Federer played well and somebody else also plays well it would be a great match. Such as the AO 05 sf where both players played great and the match was awesome. But other than that, when Fed is on he makes other players look like chumps. :angel:

Blue Heart24
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
De Voest should look for a new job,broken 4 times against John Isner :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Rumour
08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
De Voest should look for a new job,broken 4 times against John Isner :haha: ...
To be frank, I know hardly anything about the S. African's game and only saw the last Isner service game and TB in this match - does De Voest normally have a pretty good serve?

Blue Heart24
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
To be frank, I know hardly anything about the S. African's game and only saw the last Isner service game and TB in this match - does De Voest normally have a pretty good serve?

Don't know,never seen him play :wavey: