Comedy Central: Rafael Nadal d. Alun Jones 7-5 3-6 6-4 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Comedy Central: Rafael Nadal d. Alun Jones 7-5 3-6 6-4 6-1

Pages : [1] 2

LinkMage
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
This was worse than a WTA juniors match. :o

Jones volleys were pure comedy. The funny thing was that Jones was up a break in both the 1st and 3rd sets. Any decent player would have beaten Nadal today, he was lucky to play probably the worst player in the draw.

scarecrows
08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Pat rafter has been giving volley lessons to Jones, you could eaasily see Rafter's touch in those magnificent volleys

Rogiman
What a piglet.

tennisgal_001
WTF was that? :eek:
I have never seen ANYTHING like that before. It was ABYSMALLY COMICAL!
And to think Jones could've won had he held his nerve a little bit. Nadal needs to get his act together or else I can't even see him winning his second round match (that is if Tipsy is his opponent).
One of the worst matches in recent history. Almost laughable.

And don't even get me started on Jones' so-called "volleying" :tape:

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Nadal had no right to win any of these sets, i have no clue how he won 3

bokehlicious
ugly ugly ugly tennis... plain disgrace...

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Greenday
Man...seriously djoko is definitely more talented than nadal.....defense, defense and defense.....and that is all nadal knows.....

RickDaStick
"jones is a very great player" - Nadal

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

t0x
08-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Eeep! What a horrible, horrible match. Jones could of easily won this! He hit some laughable volleys too.

Nadal looked terrible too - he's going to have to up his game quick!

bokehlicious
Justine or Serena would have punished Nadal today... :o

DrJules

It has a lot to do with why he is world number 2.

croat123
wow :o

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
OMG, that was hideous. Jones was scary bad and Rafa was pathetic.

If he is struggling so much with his stupid knees, why is he playing? They aren't going to get any better.

He looked dreamy though. And that's the most important thing.

Andi-M
WTF was that? :eek:
I have never seen ANYTHING like that before. It was ABYSMALLY COMICAL!
And to think Jones could've won had he held his nerve a little bit. Nadal needs to get his act together or else I can't even see him winning his second round match (that is if Tipsy is his opponent).
One of the worst matches in recent history. Almost laughable.

And don't even get me started on Jones' so-called "volleying" :tape:

agree

tennisgal_001

Honestly, neither guy desrved a victory. This is a classic case of two opponents deserving to lose soundly. My eyes still hurt from watching it, it's atrocious.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:34 PM

I think Kournikova might have taken a couple of sets off him today.

Still can't believe how bad it was :haha:

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Honestly, neither guy desrved a victory. This is a classic case of two opponents deserving to lose soundly. My eyes still hurt from watching it, it's atrocious.

At least he won :o

But this doesnt bode well. R2 shouldnt be tough, but its hard for me to see him winning R3

twisturhead
nadal should have lost

cmurray
Rafa's knees were really bugging him. I haven't seen his movement that hampered in...well, never. maybe in Oz against Gonzo. He's very VERY fortunate to have made it through the match. It'll be interesting to see which Nadal shows up on Friday.

l_mac
Man...seriously djoko is definitely more talented than nadal.....defense, defense and defense.....and that is all nadal knows.....

Brilliant.

Alex999
I'm afraid that Nadal is going to lose sooner than expected. He just doesn't look good.

Kitty de Sade
He looked dreamy though. And that's the most important thing.

:lol: :hug:

Not pretty at all, wow. I'm glad to see it end.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Ehm, people, didn't you NOTICE?

Rafa was obviously hurting - *both* his knees taped this time, the left not just below the knee, but also above, and he had to call the physio twice.
And NO, don't tell me this was gamesmanship. :mad:

His movement was OFF, his serve MIA, and not for a moment he seemed to be happy being out there on court. Even more, his 'celebrations' after his victory rather looked like a 'glad I've come through and let's head off to the physio RIGHT AWAY' to me, not happy, but just relieved.

I hope he gets better soon, in this form I fear Nole will make minced meat out of him. Poor thing... Get Well SOON! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Okay, have to say, Jones did well, especially considering he's a mere #123 on the rankings. He's just a Challenger player, so I'm not buying the usual 'choking' arguments here either. Thanks Alun for the entertainment... :hug:

rofe
Jones should have won the match but at key moments he got tight and let the match slip away due to his inexperience on the big stage.

I was very impressed with Jones' court positioning and flat strokes. Nadal was so far behind the baseline for most of the match.

Very lucky Nadal.

MisterQ
Terrible play from Rafa (and some respectable play from Jones). You could see the lack of energy in Nadal's body throughout the match. Still, I suppose he did what needed to be done in the end.

tennisgal_001

or why Jones' career singles record is 2-5.

*bunny*
08-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Hope Rafa's knees hold in the next round... if not, he shouldn't risk playing. :sad:

l_mac
Did he say the pain in his knees was worse 2 days ago? So the reason he was practising 4 hours a day was ...

I swear if he didn't have that ass he'd be bumped from my avatar double quick. Idiot.

Please don't anyone say Jones played well. He was also awful. Rafa's overall shittiness reflected well on him.

sykotique
Federer v Baghdatis at TMS Cincinnati

Nadal v Jones at the US Open

Which one was worse? Vote now.

guga2120
That was not good, but for him to play in that much pain just shows how much heart he has, most other players would just retire.

stebs

People choke against him? :confused:

If you meant that Nadal is mentally strong, I don't disagree. However, from 4-2 up Jones next two service games he hit 8 UE's. That is frighteningly bad.

jonny84
08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Interesting scoreline.

But Rafa still pulled out a win.

First match nerves?

MisterQ

I wouldn't judge Nadal's talent by this match. :lol: ;) Something wasn't quite right...

Apemant

C'mon this is pushing it... give Jones some credit :devil:

adee-gee
Scandalous performance from Nadal. The sad thing is I can't say it's unexpected.

Pisspoor in every single department. Jones made so many horrific errors it was untrue. Nadal's groundies could barely pass the service line. I think in all my years of watching Rafa that has to go down as one of the worst matches he's ever played.

Disgustingly shit.

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Terrible play from Rafa (and some respectable play from Jones). You could see the lack of energy in Nadal's body throughout the match. Still, I suppose he did what needed to be done in the end.

I do think that part of his terrible play was the fact that he was obviously injured. Of course- folks will now dismiss me as just a Rafatard since I pointed out that his knee was indeed bothering him.

Still- ugly, ugly ugly. Short balls- shanked shots. Yuck! Well- Feds and Baggy no longer have the banner of the ugliest match of the summer (from Cincy) this was it.

I guess you did not see IW then? ;)

I have to agree with JMac- there is no way that Rafa's knees will get better in the next two weeks. I will be shocked if he gets past the third round.

cmurray
tendonitis hurts like a bitch - he gutted his way through that match. I can only hope he'll feel better on Friday. It looks doubtful that he'll be matching his QF results from last year, though.

Johnny Groove
Scandalous performance from Nadal. The sad thing is I can't say it's unexpected.

Pisspoor in every single department. Jones made so many horrific errors it was untrue. Nadal's groundies could barely pass the service line. I think in all my years of watching Rafa that has to go down as one of the worst matches he's ever played.

Disgustingly shit.

Dont be so easy on him. Say what you REALLY feel.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Disgustingly shit.

:yeah:

I don't think it's brave if he's playing through pain, I think it's stupid.

Apemant
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM

:haha: :devil: :worship:

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 09:42 PM
I do think that part of his terrible play was the fact that he was obviously injured. Of course- folks will now dismiss me as just a Rafatard since I pointed out that his knee was indeed bothering him.

I'm just flabbergized so many people didn't notice that, or fail to mention that. The bloke is obviously hurt, no doubt about it. Hope he gets well before his next round match, or indeed - he isn't going to get far... :sad:

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
:yeah:

I don't think it's brave if he's playing through pain, I think it's stupid.

Do you think he should have retired?

I'm just flabbergized so many people didn't notice that, or fail to mention that.

Don't you know- this is MTF- where Rafa is never really injured. Other players can be- but never rafa. If you say that Nadal does have an injury- you will be dismissed as a Rafatard.

bokehlicious
Rafa's knees were really bugging him.

Why didn't he play Kitzbühel after Stuttgart ? He would be just fine by now... :o

tennisgal_001

But this doesnt bode well. R2 shouldnt be tough, but its hard for me to see him winning R3

Yes at the end of the day it's the win that matters regardless of how 'ugly' it was (and this was the ugliest we've had in a very long time). The problem is that because of Nadal's physical condition and the fact that he's hurting, I personally can't see him raising his level up to an extent where he could challenge for a QF, SF, F spot. His knees will not recover in 2 days, and without his movement, forehand, and court speed, on the surface he likes the least, chances are high that the first decent player to roll around will send him back to Mallorca. Maybe playing the USO wasn't the smartest move, who knows?

sykotique
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey, ya never know, a few shots of painkiller and Nadal could grit his way to the final, but I know that right now, he's foregoing the autographs and running to the massage table.

In the event that Tursunov makes it to R3, the draw becomes interesting, but I wouldn't judge the kid's chances on this one match. He's got a favourable draw and lots of heart and he hasn't been on a hardcourt since 2nd round of Cincy. Give him time.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes at the end of the day it's the win that matters regardless of how 'ugly' it was (and this was the ugliest we've had in a very long time). The problem is that because of Nadal's physical condition and the fact that he's hurting, I personally can't see him raising his level up to an extent where he could challenge for a QF, SF, F spot. His knees will not recover in 2 days, and without his movement, forehand, and court speed, on the surface he likes the least, chances are high that the first decent player to roll around will send him back to Mallorca. Maybe playing the USO wasn't the smartest move, who knows?

Im also doubting playing it.

I think the Wimbledon 7023423410 days in a row thing was terrible for his knees, and i believe it had an impact. Absolutely retched :o

adee-gee
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Fine.....

During the match I actually felt disgusted. I'm not joking, it was painfully bad. He wasn't doing anything, all he did was knock balls into the service box and luckily for him Jones kept missing. It was an absolute farce that he lost a set to this guy and was in serious trouble at 3-4* in the 3rd.

Whether his knee was bad or not I'm not sure, but it's pretty irrelevant. I don't think it was bad enough to justify a display like that. If his knee is hurting then he should be trying to crack winners rather than play 5 metres behind the baseline waiting for his opponent to make errors.

Can I also question why he's decided to start hitting squash shots on his forehand when he's on the run, he truly sucks at them.

ilostmymarbles
I'm just flabbergized so many people didn't notice that, or fail to mention that. The bloke is obviously hurt, no doubt about it. Hope he gets well before his next round match, or indeed - he isn't going to get far... :sad:

The point is, and i say this as a rafa fan, that is was an utterly idiotic decision to play when you obviously hurt!!
If he wants to last in tennis he's going to have to start learning to look after his injuries a bit better. We all want to see him play another 5/10 years and he's not going to if he keeps trying to do the brave hero 'i can go thorugh the pain' thing.

guga2120

I think the Wimbledon 7023423410 days in a row thing was terrible for his knees, and i believe it had an impact. Absolutely retched :o

well of course it was, but he hurt his other knee in practice. He has always been fragile, especially on hc's, he throws himself at every point.

*bunny*
Why didn't he play Kitzbühel after Stuttgart ? He would be just fine by now... :o
He tweaked his other knee during practice a couple of days ago.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Do you think he should have retired?

It looked to me like he shouldn't have played at all. He's been stupid in the past, playing with injuries.

bokehlicious
08-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Jeopardizing his US hard courts chances by playing the ranking points whore in Stuttgart was actually his big mistake...

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Fine.....

During the match I actually felt disgusted. I'm not joking, it was painfully bad. He wasn't doing anything, all he did was knock balls into the service box and luckily for him Jones kept missing. It was an absolute farce that he lost a set to this guy and was in serious trouble at 3-4* in the 3rd.

Whether his knee was bad or not I'm not sure, but it's pretty irrelevant. I don't think it was bad enough to justify a display like that. If his knee is hurting then he should be trying to crack winners rather than play 5 metres behind the baseline waiting for his opponent to make errors.

Can I also question why he's decided to start hitting squash shots on his forehand when he's on the run, he truly sucks at them.

Agreed on all counts, and the squash shit is :rolleyes: Hes got the best running forehand on Earth :rolleyes:

well of course it was, but he hurt his other knee in practice. He has always been fragile, especially on hc's, he throws himself at every point.

True, but would he have hurt the other knee if the right one was fine?

stebs
08-29-2007, 09:49 PM

If Tipsarevic plays a decent match he would beat the Nadal we saw today and even if Nadal raises his level by a little bit then Tipsy may be up to it, don't underestimate him. At his best he is as good as any of the potential R3 opponents.

To be honest, if Nadal beats Tipsy (or Sweeting) then I don't expect him to lose to anyone in R3. Henman is beating Tursunov right now and no way does Tim beat Nadal, it just won't happen. If you watched their match in Dubai you'll agree, Nadal could play like he did today and Henman wouldn't beat him. As for Tsonga, I guess it's possible but Nadal is good against youngsters (hard to believe he still is one) and Tsonga doesn't have big match experience at all. It's easy to see Tsonga losing to Nadal the way Jones did today.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Jeopardizing his US hard courts chances by playing the ranking points whore in Stuttgart was actually his big mistake...

Im not so sure. He barely extended any energy there, and since its clay it shouldnt have had that much of an impact.

It did, o course, but its not like he was playing Indy and DC

hra87
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I didn't watch, but now I get it:

Jones Nadal
Unforced Errors 60 29

stebs
08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Agreed on all counts, and the squash shit is :rolleyes: Hes got the best running forehand on Earth :rolleyes:

Having said that (and I agree by the way) Nadal did play one of the best shots I've ever seen with a squash forehand against Sode the Toad at Wimbledon.

Clara Bow

So that tournament impacting him injuring his knee in practice two days ago how???? JMac was saying yesterday that Rafa hurt his knee in practice while at the USO.

Hard courts are the toughest on Rafa's body. Clay and grass are easier.

True, but would he have hurt the other knee if the right one was fine?

Who knows- it could have been overcompensating.

I do think it was pretty obvious that Rafa was injured and that did impact his play. That stated- he still could have played better. But he pulled out the win- like Feds did in Cincy during the Baggy match.

DrJules

Disgustingly shit.

But he won which is what counts.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
The point is, and i say this as a rafa fan, that is was an utterly idiotic decision to play when you obviously hurt!!
If he wants to last in tennis he's going to have to start learning to look after his injuries a bit better. We all want to see him play another 5/10 years and he's not going to if he keeps trying to do the brave hero 'i can go thorugh the pain' thing.

I can surely see your point, but the thing is, this is a Grand Slam. We *all* know Rafa doesn't easily give up on any match, and if he does (like in Cincy), he does so with a heavy heart (I've read somewhere that he himself didn't want to give up at all, but that is was the physio who advised him to do so, for his own sake!).

It has been said by many, that he might do better not to play as much as he has done, and to take care of his body a little better. But at the same time, a lot of his fans want him to become #1 asap...
You can't please everyone, not even Rafa can...

In any case, I hope he finds proper treatment, and if he finds out during his #2 round match that it hasn't been helping him, that he then indeed makes the sensible decision to pull out.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I didn't watch, but now I get it:

Jones Nadal
Unforced Errors 60 29

I can't believe Rafa only hit 29 UEs, it felt like he hit that many in the opening set alone.

adee-gee
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
But he won which is what counts.

Well, yes. The problem is, if I could put this down as a one-off I wouldn't be so bothered. The fact is it's just the latest (and possibly worst) of many shit displays since Wimbledon, that's why I'm concerned.

FedFan_2007
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Evil hardcourts! Ban them! They hurt Mowgli's knees! Why it doesn't matter that the free-flowing all-courters don't get knee problems on hardcourts! All that matters is that it's tough on baby Rafa's knees.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Evil hardcourts! Ban them! They hurt Mowgli's knees! Why it doesn't matter that the free-flowing all-courters don't get knee problems on hardcourts! All that matters is that it's tough on baby Rafa's knees.

You just never know when to *STOP*, do you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fumus
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
bad bad bad...

But Nadal survives lets hope he picks it up.

bokehlicious
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Im not so sure. He barely extended any energy there, and since its clay it shouldnt have had that much of an impact.

It did, o course, but its not like he was playing Indy and DC

Nadal's style of play is very demanding, energy wise, even when he manages to get "easy" wins he still has to work hard for it... He needed some rest after Wimbledon...

Alex999
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
If Tipsarevic plays a decent match he would beat the Nadal we saw today and even if Nadal raises his level by a little bit then Tipsy may be up to it, don't underestimate him. At his best he is as good as any of the potential R3 opponents.

To be honest, if Nadal beats Tipsy (or Sweeting) then I don't expect him to lose to anyone in R3. Henman is beating Tursunov right now and no way does Tim beat Nadal, it just won't happen. If you watched their match in Dubai you'll agree, Nadal could play like he did today and Henman wouldn't beat him. As for Tsonga, I guess it's possible but Nadal is good against youngsters (hard to believe he still is one) and Tsonga doesn't have big match experience at all. It's easy to see Tsonga losing to Nadal the way Jones did today.

I also think that Tipsarevic can win against Nadal in this shape.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Aw, well done, FedFan_2007 for articulating what all us Rafa fans are desperate to say! Thanks. :hug:

Moron.

Burrow
Nadal should get metal knee's like my grandmother.

cellophane
I dont know what everyone else was watching, but calling this an embarrassing match is surely a stretch. :spit:

Clara Bow

Where the heck did anyone say to ban hard courts? Saying that Rafa is more prone to get injured on hard courts is not a call to ban hard courts? Geeze.... Hyperbole- your name is FedFan2007. And I guess that Rafa's finals at Wimbles and titles on IW, Madrid, Dubai and Montreal were all conducted on clay.

The fact is it's just the latest (and possibly worst) of many shit displays since Wimbledon, that's why I'm concerned.

I hear what you are saying. It can bug because Rafa can show nice aggression at IW and Wimbledon- and then crap it up after Wimbledon. Granted- the surfaces are different - but he can still use some of what he showed earlier in the year.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 09:59 PM

Can we ban him?

Over 1100 posts, and not one of them useful in any way. At least the other troll occasionally add something to discussions

RedFury
I wouldn't judge Nadal's talent by this match. :lol: ;) Something wasn't quite right...

Agreed. And not just that, as much as everyone here seems to be mocking the Aussie, he played some pretty darn good aggressive tennis in the first three sets.

Two additional points.

1-Twas to be expected to see a rusty Nadal after what for him has been such a short HC season. OTOH, in the fourth set -- besides the fact of the obvious decline in Jones' game -- he was hitting the ball as well as I've seen him do it on a HC since IW.

2-As others have said, I am not convinced he's physically there. And unless we can chalk it up to being plain rusty, I don't think his knees and/or conditioning/movement are up to six more matches in 11 days.

Wish him all the best anyway. And hope that anything that ails him is only temporary.

Vamos Rafa!

Adler
Aaaaawful match, such performance (by both) should be forbidden. What's wrong with Rafa and injuries - can't he modify his gamestyle a bit so that it won't be so destructing or is it impossible without making 'new' Nadal?

l_mac
Nadal's style of play is very demanding, energy wise, even when he manages to get "easy" wins he still has to work hard for it... He needed some rest after Wimbledon...

Your concern for Rafa is touching, JMPower. I knew you were a sweetie deep down :)

CyBorg
People here just never learn.

It's always like this with Nadal. Always. Were you watching him in majors before or were you just born?

Nadal wins ugly all the time, especially on week one of majors. First he looks terrible, then a little less terrible, then decent, then pretty good and if he's still around he can even crank it up to very good.

As always, menstennisforums reveals the true bandwagoners here. Yeah, you bet Nadal will lose in round two. Put your money where you mouth is.

Burrow

Not really, the amount of times people say, what you exactly just said.

tennisgal_001
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Federer v Baghdatis at TMS Cincinnati

Nadal v Jones at the US Open

Which one was worse? Vote now.

:lol:

I didn't watch the Fed/Baggy match but heard it was quite bad. But considering the arena, the match-up, and the weather (which if I remember correctly wasn't suited for tennis in Cincy), I'd say Nadal/Jones was probably the worst match of the season. Both players were awful in almost every possible department, they fed on each other's errors. Jones can't hit a volley to save his life, his backhand is an absolute stroke of luck, his forehand is probably the only half-decent thing in his game. Nadal, while obviously hurting, could've tried to contain the match a little bit more. Avoid getting into long rallies, serve at a lower pace but with more of an angle, or perhaps just focus on getting his first serve into play, going for the classic 1-2 punch, which if I recall correctly he only executed about 5 times. Some damage-control would've helped him for sure. But his mind and heart weren't in it. It was excruciating to watch on every level it would've been better if they stopped the TV broadcast and saved us the agony of the experience.

Add to that, if he insists on playing through the pain his knees will eventually break down for an extended period of time which could have severe implications on the rest of the seaon (indoor hard and carpet!!!) and possibly next season. It really is stupid to play through such pain. I guess we'll find out in a few days how bad the situation really is...

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Aaaaawful match, such performance (by both) should be forbidden. What's wrong with Rafa and injuries - can't he modify his gamestyle a bit so that it won't be so destructing or is it impossible without making 'new' Nadal?

He has tried to adjust his game- making his serve more of a weapon and being more aggrssive. We saw that more earlier in the year.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Your concern for Rafa is touching, JMPower. I knew you were a sweetie deep down :)

In this particular case I might say there's a part of me agreeing with JMPower... :angel:

spriwi
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

indeed :D

Kalliopeia
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

You're getting boring.

Anyway, it was a tough match to watch, as a Rafa fan. He was so obviously hurting, it's not usually quite that obvious. Round 2 isn't going to be pretty if he had this much trouble against this guy. I'm not expecting him to win another match this tournament. Still, as ill-advised as it might be, I can't help but admire his grit.

He said in the interview afterwards that he feels much better today than he did two days ago, and that he hadn't practiced much yesterday.

Just take care of yourself, Rafa. I'd rather he be #20 and healthy than go for #1 and break down.

Neely
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Brutally bad play by Nadal in this match. That's where I agree with people. Also when they're saying that Jones could have won this because the first and third set could have gone into Jones' way, too. Jones played some decent tennis and took the risk. Needless to say that he makes unbelievable mistakes then as he was following this concept. Jones made the play and dictated what was happening in the early stages of this match: unforced error or winner or forced error of Nadal.

Later on it was clear that Jones is not used to matches of this kind. It was mixture of depression due to missed chances, due to the fact he knew he could lead 2-1 sets or even won this and fatigue.

If I understood it correctly, he even has made a contract with Stuttgart to be there the next two or three years as well.

Comes time then we will have to be more economic eventually, same as Federer learnt this and stopped playing events right after Wimbledon for the last years. And as many other players did that during their careers.

Adler
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
He has tried to adjust his game- making his serve more of a weapon and being more aggrssive. We saw that more earlier in the year.
Right, but is it impossible to sustain the level for US summer hardcourt season? This happens every year, it even occured in 2004

WF4EVER
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Injury my famous ass.

If you're suffering from something as serious as a knee injury and playing on these hard courts you'd have to be a fucking idiot. Nadal is always injured when he's not on clay.

His injury sure seemed to get better once he won the third set.

That nobody could have beaten him if he had the balls to do it. I wish people would stop using injury as an excuse when Nadal is stinking up the place. Playing injured is not going to help him get to No. 1. That's just assinine.

FedFan_2007
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I have 1100 posts? Who knew...

musefanatic
08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I didn't expect him at any minute to lose this match, i didn;'t think Jones would ever be able to keep up with him for one second, yeah so he won a set but the guy's amazing, even if i don't like him that much and i hoped for a second he might not have such an easy ride, even lose perhaps, it wouldn't happen, so well done to him for getting through :) Well done to Jones for getting a set off him too :)

Kalliopeia
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
and the weather (which if I remember correctly wasn't suited for tennis in Cincy)

I was there, and that day was the worst day in a week of unusually brutal heat and humidity. It wasn't fit for tennis. It wasn't fit for lying walrus-like in an air conditioned hotel room, which is what I did after the Moya match that day.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Nadal said in his on court interview that his knees had got better over the past 2 days. Maybe they will be better by Friday. Or maybe he's bullshitting. Or maybe it doesn't matter because he's going to get bounced regardless because he's playing like crap.

rofe
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
:

Add to that, if he insists on playing through the pain his knees will eventually break down for an extended period of time which could have severe implications on the rest of the seaon (indoor hard and carpet!!!) and possibly next season. It really is stupid to play through such pain. I guess we'll find out in a few days how bad the situation really is...

First of all, we don't know how serious his injury is. It could be a niggle or it could require pain killers through the tournament. If it is the former then he should be alright in the next round and if it is the latter then I get the feeling that he will take the pain killers because he has a very good chance of wrestling the #1 spot from Fed and I am pretty sure he realizes it.

Anyway, his knees probably did contribute to his relatively poor movement but today's performance had more to do with Jones' aggressive play and the resulting passive play from Nadal than his knees IMO.

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Right, but is it impossible to sustain the level for US summer hardcourt season? This happens every year, it even occured in 2004

That has been a big question for me as a Rafa fan.

It does seem like he burns out a bit. In 2005- he was able to regain some momentum after the USO and won a couple more titles (both on hard). But of course- he then got injured in Madrid and was out until after the 2006 Oz Open.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I have 1100 posts? Who knew...
Yep. 1,100 posts of banality. A new MTF record.

rosamunda
08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not a great Rafa fan, but I felt for him out there today. He was clearly not 'in' the match for whatever reason, and only won because Jones made some horrendous mistakes at crucial moments. Assuming it was his knees, I felt that his general running around was pretty good, but there were numerous shots that he didn't attempt to get to, whereas he normally tries to run down everything. If he's got tendonitis, it's likely to get worse before it gets better, and he's in real danger of permanently damaging himself or, at the very least, having trouble that can go on for a long time. Having said all that, he has a knack of getting better as tournaments progress and, if the medical people can put the problem 'on hold', who knows how far he can go???

Kalliopeia
08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
His injury sure seemed to get better once he won the third set.

No, it didn't. If you were paying attention you'd notice that he was visibly hurting through the entire fourth set. He wasn't running to shots that he could reach without even breaking a sweat any other day. He was walking around grimacing. He was injured. Now you may feel like he was stupid for playing injured and I wouldn't disagree but it's even dumber to suggest anyone's using it as an excuse for anything.

stebs
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Nadal said in his on court interview that his knees had got better over the past 2 days. Maybe they will be better by Friday. Or maybe he's bullshitting. Or maybe it doesn't matter because he's going to get bounced regardless because he's playing like crap.

Well the funny thing is a lot of posters are saying that Nadal was stupid to play so defensive due to the fact that he was struggling physcially for whatever reason.

You sum up why it was NOT stupid to do that with this quote:

he's playing like crap

If he had tried to play more aggressive he would've lost. He tried to hit big FH's straight after the serve several times and missed more than he hit. Nadal may be consistent to an almost unreal extent when he is playing with a big margin and slowly controlling the point but when he goes for shots he can't do that which some Nadal fans don't seem to understand.

Nadal was not top notch physically today but technically he was poor as well, if he tries to play a really aggressive game it is possible for him to lose matches the way people like Berdych do when they have terrible days. They just throw matches away with UE's and a lot of people don't realise that this can happen to Nadal as well if he plays that way. The way I understood things from watching, Nadal wanted to play like that but when he tried he threw points away and in the end const himself important points trying to be aggressive.

Allure
"jones is a very great player" - Nadal

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

He has been hanging out with Gasquet. ;)

bokehlicious
Yep. 1,100 posts of banality. A new MTF record.

I know other posters who have about 20'000 posts of Roddick/Nadal arse licking and pro american propaganda :o quite a record too...

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
How come he's never injured on clay?

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Injury my famous ass.

So then JMac was spouting shit yesterday- before this match- when he said that Rafa had injured his left knee during practice a few days ago? JMac is in on the conspiracy as well? Who knew that Rafa had such reach that he is now causing commentators to lie and make up stuff during the USA broadcasts.

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM

Hmmm- why did he miss the FO in 2003 and 2004? Did aliens take him from the earth? Did he have to do a lead performance in his school play? Nope- he was....gasp....injured. If you are going to be a hater- do your homework. :)

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmmm- why did he miss the FO in 2003 and 2004? Did aliens take him from the earth? Did he have to do a lead performance in his school play? Nope- he was....gasp....injured. If you are going to be a hater- do your homework. :)How come he's been injured exclusively off clay for the last couple of years then?

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Stuttgart, 6 weeks ago.

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:20 PM
How come he's been injured exclusively off clay for the last couple of years then?

I don't understand what you are getting at here? Are you saying that he is lying about all the injuries? Geeze- the haterism keeps on coming. He did seem to be obviously injured today. I guess his injury at the end of 2005 that a lot of folks here scoffed as fake was just an excuse too for him to not have to play the Aussie Open at the beginning of 2006.

With his style of play- hard court is tougher on his body. Clay is not as likely to cause injuries for him. Hard court does tend to cause more ankle and knee problems as a general rule for most players.

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Stuttgart, 6 weeks ago.He was preparing the excuses for the HC season.

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't understand what you are getting at here? Are you saying that he is lying about all the injuries?

With his style of play- hard court is tougher on his body. Clay is not as likely to cause injuries for him. Hard court does tend to cause more ankle and knee problems as a general rule for most players.Bad news, HC is where most tennis matches are played.

tennisgal_001
08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
First of all, we don't know how serious his injury is. It could be a niggle or it could require pain killers through the tournament. If it is the former then he should be alright in the next round and if it is the latter then I get the feeling that he will take the pain killers because he has a very good chance of wrestling the #1 spot from Fed and I am pretty sure he realizes it.

Anyway, his knees probably did contribute to his relatively poor movement but today's performance had more to do with Jones' aggressive play and the resulting passive play from Nadal than his knees IMO.

The way he played today suggests it was neither but we'll never know for sure till his second round match.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Stuttgart, 6 weeks ago.

I'd like to add that he didn't seem to be at his best at Hamburg either.
Oh, wait. Perhaps Rafa is HUMAN after all? No wonder I despise all that 'Spartan'-shit as much as I do.

Oops, shouldn't have mentioned that. :angel:

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
He was preparing the excuses for the HC season.

What's the point of asking a question if you're going to make stupid remarks after the replies?

stebs
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Oh, wait. Perhaps Rafa is HUMAN after all? No wonder I despise all that 'Spartan'-shit as much as I do.

Oops, shouldn't have mentioned that. :angel:

Fatigue and injuries are different things.

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM

Oops, shouldn't have mentioned that. :angel:I'm not seeing Djokovic's photo in your signature yet.

Get yourself covered up.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not seeing Djokovic's photo in your signature yet.

Get yourself covered up.

It's NEVER going to appear there either, Mr. Rogiman. You should really have known me better by know. :p

Eden
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Exactly my thoughts rofe. He has a great draw until the semis and none of the players until then are having a real chance to take 3 sets of him. It's completely different to play matches against players as Nadal and Federer in a best of 5 match.

It's really becoming annoying whenever Rafa plays or loses a match it is because he is injured or tired. It was a bad match from him today, but in the end he won and I am convinced he will get better round by round, like he always does.

RickDaStick
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Hardcourts are very very bad :)

ChinoRios4Ever
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Rafa :o

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Hardcourts are very very bad :)
Very bad person hardcourts :(

Blondie1985
08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
This was worse than a WTA juniors match. :o

Jones volleys were pure comedy. The funny thing was that Jones was up a break in both the 1st and 3rd sets. Any decent player would have beaten Nadal today, he was lucky to play probably the worst player in the draw.

:haha: :haha: hahahahahhaa :haha: :haha:

So much for Spartan Tennis!!!!! :baby:

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:36 PM
It's really becoming annoying whenever Rafa plays or loses a match it is because he is injured or tired.

Conversely, it can be annoying whenever Rafa is indeed injured and someone notes it- it is deemed by many to be just an excuse- or even made up. ;)

He played crap- regardless of the injury. But I do feel that it was apparant the he was not 100% in his knee. That stated- even if he heals up- he will need to improve the level of his play. Just because one notes that he was injured- does not discount any crap play- and vice versa.

Fergie
08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
The worst match ever :zzz:

Marek.
08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't know if Nadal is really injured or not but it seems like whenever he's not playing well or he loses it comes down to an injury or fatigue. Rafatards have no room to accuse Fedtards of making up excuses.

Rogiman
08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Conversely, it can be annoying whenever Rafa is indeed injured and someone notes it- it is deemed by many to be just an excuse- or even made up. ;)
'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' situation.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't know if Nadal is really injured or not but it seems like whenever he's not playing well or he loses it comes down to an injury or fatigue. Rafatards have no room to accuse Fedtards of making up excuses.

Haven't most of the Rafa fan posts on this thread been about how ABYSMAL he was? It was his choice to play while injured, so I'm making no excuses for him. He won the match anyway, so I don't really think excuses are required.

Blondie1985
08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
he was lucky to play probably the worst player in the draw.

Who ? Jones ?

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
I_mac- seeing your signature- oh you are so fickle. :) Fair weatherism at its best. ;)

I might sugget Youzhny as a favorite (so much fun when he is on)- but he has ups and downs- not enough sunny days for you. :p

Dina
08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Stepansexxx

Eden
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM

He played crap- regardless of the injury. But I do feel that it was apparant the he was not 100% in his knee. That stated- even if he heals up- he will need to improve the level of his play. Just because one notes that he was injured- does not discount any crap play- and vice versa.

It's not the first time Rafa didn't play a convincing match in the first round of a tournament, but he will adjust to the court and the surrounding. The commentator on German Eurosport didn't said anything about a serious injury of Rafa.

When he is seriously injured he shouldn't play tennis and risk his chances for the future, but maybe he and his team have an explanation why he plays although not being 100% fit.

Metis
08-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, so many people here are pissed off they didn't get their kicks in the piggy-roasting thread today. :lol:

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I_mac- seeing your signature- oh you are so fickle. :) Fair weatherism at its best. ;)

I might sugget Youzhny as a favorite (so much fun when he is on)- but he has ups and downs- not enough sunny days for you. :p

I don't need sunny days. My 2nd favourite is Nalbandian. He's not pretty enough for my avatar though.

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't need sunny days. My 2nd favourite is Nalbandian. He's not pretty enough for my avatar though.

Then maybe Misha will be a good fit- he has a cute Red Army look about him. :)

l_mac
08-29-2007, 10:56 PM

:lol: I'll think about it.

Eden
08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Here are some comments from Rafa after the match:

"I have to improve a little bit in the knees if I want to do anything in the tournament," Nadal said.
"It was a tough match. First round always is," Nadal said.
"Alun Jones is a difficult player. I played a good match and I can win, finally."
Nadal will reduce his typical practice regimen before his next match on Saturday (AEST).
"I will just try to feel better in two days for the next match," he said.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,22332416-23210,00.html?from=public_rss

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
I played a good match

:lol: Oh Rafa- is it opposite day? He is the anti-Serena.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Surely his next match is Friday?

fmolinari2005
08-29-2007, 11:04 PM
'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' situation.

More like "The boy who cried my ass hurts" situation.:) :)

sykotique
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Rafa actually thinks he played a good match? He must not have seen the tape yet.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 11:20 PM
:haha: JONES!

Moonballing festival. Ridiculous match.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 11:34 PM

Seconded. :angel: :p

tennisgal_001
08-29-2007, 11:36 PM

Spot-on.

mamasue
08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Rafa played good enough to win. What more does he need to do? :rolleyes:

Clara Bow
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
More info on Rafa's injury- on USO Radio Matthew Cronin just said that he hurt his inner tendon (iirc) on his knee when he was practicing with Murray on Sunday.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 11:43 PM
More info on Rafa's injury- on USO Radio Matthew Cronin just said that he hurt his inner tendon (iirc) on his knee when he was practicing with Murray on Sunday.

That's what I heard, too. So, as I said before: Raf is indeed injured.
(Just ONE look at that match of his of today would have told people as well, BTW.)

l_mac
08-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Hmm.

I hope he doesn't practise at all tomorrow.

fmolinari2005
08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Rafa played good enough to win. What more does he need to do? :rolleyes:

You are right. Even if I dont like Rafa's game at all, I do think that it was probably just one bad match. Nadal will reach at least quarter-finals. Lets give the kid some credit. He still is the 2nd fav to win this thing.

(But I wouldnt mind someone roasting him before)

groundstroke
08-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Jones should of won the match.

fmolinari2005
08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
That's what I heard, too. So, as I said before: Raf is indeed injured.
(Just ONE look at that match of his of today would have told people as well, BTW.)

I guess this time it was obvious that he was indeed not well physically. You could see that he wasnt bending his knees properly to hit some of his shots. Anyway, if the injury (how many btw?!!!) isnt serious he should be fine (duh!).

l_mac
08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Jones should of won the match.

Don't be daft. Rafa was awful, but Jones was worse.

l_mac
08-30-2007, 12:01 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/default.stm

Second seed Rafael Nadal survived a scare against Australian wildcard Alun Jones in round one of the US Open.
The Spaniard, who had heavy strapping on both knees, needed treatment for tendonitis during the match.

Jones, the world number 123, was a break up in the third set before Nadal roared back to win 7-5 3-6 6-4 6-1.

"Maybe in another tournament I never go to the court today, but it is US Open and it is very important to me," said the world number two.

"I have more than one day now and I hope it will improve. "It's tough when you can't play at 100% in a very important tournament like this.

"But for me, the tournament is not finished. I'm still there."

Nadal will meet Janko Tipsarevic in the second round.

Pfft.

BlakeorHenman
08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I respect his willingness to play very much, but it's things like this that make people think he's gonna have a very short career.

Sunset of Age
08-30-2007, 12:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/default.stm

Pfft.

No, not 'pfft', I guess.

As I said already, we're talking about the US Open here, a Grand Slam tournament, and of course Rafa doesn't want to pull out there - not when it's not entirely necessary.

It's pretty *OBVIOUS* he's hurting, but we should all admire his true fighting spirit, here - he just doesn't want to give up on such an important tournament, and rightly so! One can only *admire* him for that. :worship:

Questioning the fact if he'd indeed should have played as many tournaments as he in fact did - Barcelona, Stuttgart, anyone? - is an entirely different question. :angel:

l_mac
08-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I still say Pfft. I don't think he should play injured. Ever.

Tennis Fool
08-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I wish I had USA; can't see the match :(

BlakeorHenman
08-30-2007, 12:17 AM
No, not 'pfft', I guess.

One can only *admire* him for that. :worship:

Questioning the fact if he'd indeed should have played as many tournaments as he in fact did - Barcelona, Stuttgart, anyone? - is an entirely different question. :angel:

Admirable, but stupid.

l_mac
08-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I wish I had USA; can't see the match :(

You did not miss much.

Marek.
08-30-2007, 12:19 AM
He didn't play AO 2006 because he was injured. I think he still has number one on his mind, despite what he says.

krystlel
08-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I can't believe I watched the first three sets of this match, one of the worst matches I've seen. I would have switched over to watch Henman on a live stream except I took a nap and wasn't watching it live. And we also had to hear the commentators praise Jones over here, despite his performance not being particularly impressive.

RedFury
08-30-2007, 12:47 AM

What happened to "The Moonballing Festival" in the fourth set? I mustta missed it. 'cause there was some serious flat and hard hitting from Rafa coming from both wings all throughout it..

Need a date with your optometrist as well as your shrink, ASAP.

lina_seta
08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
hahah worst match of USO yet.... it rivals Baghdatis-Roger match in cincy... in atrocity.
But bagh-roger were playing under life-threatening conditions (high humidity, more than 40 deg C)...

BUT THIS!! is totally dif... Rafa is #2, and Jones was #123! and the weather was nice... I therefore nominate this as the worst match of the year in the year-end MTF awards lol.
yes as someone said... rafa should beat him without legs lol.
it was an awwwful match in terms of quality. BUT ABSOLUTE COMEDY lol.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
What happened to "The Moonballing Festival" in the fourth set? I mustta missed it. 'cause there was some serious flat and hard hitting from Rafa coming from both wings all throughout it..

Need a date with your optometrist as well as your shrink, ASAP.

Take your head up Nadal's ass and you'll see things clearly, fanELDER. Maybe it's cataract.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Jones would never have gone through the qualies if he had to.

RedFury
08-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Take your head up Nadal's ass and you'll see things clearly, fanELDER. Maybe it's cataract.

I might try that even if for kicks wild and crazy Spaniard that I am. But seriously, you are way beyond craniomrectal-inversion procedures.

Lobotomy is more like it. And a good and thick thread-count bib afterwards.

Jogy
08-30-2007, 01:01 AM
oh great, I see you and your buddy Rogiman are ready to celebrate Nadal's coming injury :)

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 01:08 AM
I might try that even if for kicks wild and crazy Spaniard that I am. But seriously, you are way beyond craniomrectal-inversion procedures.

Lobotomy is more like it. And a good and thick thread-count bib afterwards.

See Nadal losing to old Timmay, idiot. :wavey:

oh great, I see you and your buddy Rogiman are ready to celebrate Nadal's coming injury :)

I am, any problem? Tennis will win.

guga2120
08-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I am, any problem? Tennis will win.
If Nadal played Roger in the Final it would be the biggest match in tennis in over 10 years. Him losing early or withdrawing would suck for the tournament.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2007, 01:19 AM
If Nadal played Roger in the Final it would be the biggest match in tennis in over 10 years. Him losing early or withdrawing would suck for the tournament.

That's for you fanboy. Tennis doesn't appreciate another final between those two.

Rumour
08-30-2007, 01:19 AM
You are right. Even if I dont like Rafa's game at all, I do think that it was probably just one bad match. Nadal will reach at least quarter-finals. Lets give the kid some credit. He still is the 2nd fav to win this thing.

(But I wouldnt mind someone roasting him before)
I disagree, it hasn't been just one bad match as Nadal's play has been sub-par ever since Montréal. Even before today, when it became apparent that he's really hurting physically, I didn't see him getting past the fourth round and am all the more convinced now. The Spaniard would have to make a miraculous recovery and regain his tennis form virtually overnight to even get near a potential rematch with Djokovic who, as JMac even said today on TV, is playing better on hard courts right now.

RedFury
08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
See Nadal losing to old Timmay, idiot. :wavey:.

Barring injury-retirement by either side which would null the deal, you name the bet should they meet. Even odds.

Put your money where your pie-hole is. Though I very much doubt you have enough of same to fill it.

TTFN

Doggy
08-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Jones looks like he would be good in bed..............I'm just sayin'

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Fixed.

federerfan7465
08-30-2007, 02:09 AM
alun jones is an idiot

cmurray
08-30-2007, 02:38 AM
John Wertheim said that Nadal had a laser surgery procedure on his knee. YESTERDAY. :smash:

Now, I realize that the US Open is important and all, but sometimes Rafa is just a dumbass. :rolleyes:

His body cannot hold up under that kind of abuse. yes, he likes to win - but at what cost?

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 02:41 AM
John Wertheim said that Nadal had a laser surgery procedure on his knee. YESTERDAY. :smash:

Now, I realize that the US Open is important and all, but sometimes Rafa is just a dumbass. :rolleyes:

His body cannot hold up under that kind of abuse. yes, he likes to win - but at what cost?

I feel for Rafa, because I think he doesn't want to give up on the chase for #1 this year, and pulling out will put him in a deep hole. I can definitely empathize with his frustration after having 100ish weeks at #2 consecutively, but he'll only go down if he can't play because he killed himself for points.

Kolya
08-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Ugly tennis, uglier than Stepanek.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Playing a day after knee surgery and winning.

Now thats Spartan. :worship:

doublebackhand
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM

how is it possible to have a surgery and back on the court the next day? i highly doubt the credibility of that piece of info..

and if its true, taking this kinda risk for short term gain against long term benefit is just outright stupid, not spartan (oh wait, actually these 2 qualities aint conflicting!!)

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Alun Jones had *4-2 30-15 advantage in the first set then played and horrible game to gift Nadal the breaks then in the third set leading 43 and serve lost 8 games in a row :o

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
knee surgery?? wtf????? :tape:

Mariana_lcf
08-30-2007, 03:59 AM
playing after having surgery is not spartan, is fuckin stupid

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 04:00 AM
playing after having surgery is not spartan, is fuckin stupid
Lopez de Castilla Fernandez, right? Close?

Anyway, you're right, but the American commentators said his family was coming for the next round, and he didn't want to disappoint them by withdrawing.

NevaNadal
08-30-2007, 04:04 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Why did his Uncle Toni and others think he was fit to play in this match or any match given the problems with his knee(s):confused:

Sometimes I wonder if Rafa's team are thinking long term or for a few days as far as his health goes.

Mariana_lcf
08-30-2007, 04:05 AM
haha yea, how do u know :|?

still, i mean the guy is already meant to have a short career by the way he plays, and in spite of this he wont take care of himself, shame

Marek.
08-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Now thats Stupid. :worship:

You're finally talking sense.:D

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Here is the info on Rafa's injury from the AP

It was a struggle to sprint, and he scuffled against a foe who never has won a Grand Slam match, let alone a title. On a day when past champions Venus and Serena Williams, Justine Henin and Marat Safin advanced in straight sets, three-time French Open winner Nadal hardly looked ready to flourish at Flushing Meadows, where his career mark is worse than at any other major.

To improve on that, he'll need to recover quickly and perform better than he did before eventually earning a 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 first-round victory over Australian wild-card entry Alun Jones, whose claim to fame is a bit part in the film "Wimbledon."

"I didn't run too much, no? I can't move too much," the No. 2-seeded Nadal said. "Difficult to play like this, especially here."

He felt a "sharp pain" in his left knee Sunday, toward the end of a practice session with Andy Murray in Arthur Ashe Stadium. The next day, Nadal didn't practice at all and figured he would have to withdraw from the year's last Grand Slam tournament, ruining a chance to meet No. 1 Roger Federer in a third consecutive major final.

Nadal had an MRI exam, though, that showed no significant damage, so he spent Monday and Tuesday getting treatment on the knee from a doctor with the Italian tennis federation known for laser treatments, Pier Francesco Parra, and a tour trainer. That helped, but Nadal acknowledged he might not have been on court Wednesday were this any other tournament.

Well imo it sounds like he may not be in dire straights now- he could be if he continues to play if it does not get better pronto.

I hope the haters who claim that this injury is faked will see that it is real and legit- although seeing the match today should have done that. To me, it was pretty obvious that he was injured.

I do think that Rafa does not expect to win- but would like to get a couple of rounds for points. He has missed Grands Slams in 2003, 2004 and 2006 because of injury (the 2006 one was a result of an injury that haters said he was faking at the 2005YEC btw) so I think he wants to play.

I am divided as to what he should do. If it still sucks on Friday morning- he should imo pull out.

fmolinari2005
08-30-2007, 04:39 AM

Well imo it sounds like he may not be in dire straights now- he could be if he continues to play if it does not get better pronto.

I hope the haters who claim that this injury is faked will see that it is real and legit- although seeing the match today should have done that. To me, it was pretty obvious that he was injured.

I do think that Rafa does not expect to win- but would like to get a couple of rounds for points. He has missed Grands Slams in 2003, 2004 and 2006 because of injury (the 2006 one was a result of an injury that haters said he was faking at the 2005YEC btw) so I think he wants to play.

I am divided as to what he should do. If it still sucks on Friday morning- he should imo pull out.

I agree with you. He is not faking an injury. Actually, my first thought was that Rafa just played a bad match. But it seems that his knee is indeed bothering him. He said it was an old injury, but it isnt getting any worse. Oh well, it doesnt seem to getting that better either. He goes on and say something like that, about hardcourts:

Q. Does this surface here make your knee hurt more than it might on grass or clay do you think?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the hard surface always is tougher, and the tennis is going to have more and more hard surfaces tournament. And in my opinion is a little bit mistake because for the players and for have a longer career is better play in other surfaces. But the tennis is going like this.
For sure is less aggressive, grass or clay.

But that is the problem. Even if hardcourts are tougher on the body, it isnt a surface you should play like you play on clay. You can do that and be succesfull, but the price your body pays is too big. A surface that isnt nice to your joints requires you to play aggressive tennis, to cut down the running around to a minimum. I do think that Rafa has powerful shots enough to relly less on his court coverage, but maybe it is his mindset (so effective on clay) that sometimes get in the way. I dont like Nadal's game at all, but it would take a blind person not to realize that he can win big on hardcourts (he actually done that anyway, on Master Series).

And, by aggressive tennis I dont mean coming to the net that often. But flattening out his shots. A good strategy for Rafa, in earlier rounds, would be in the first set, playing more like Federer, for example. Hitting big, going for the lines, even if he ends up missing some shots. It would probably work out. But if it doesnt, then, and only then, he would revert to his clay court game.

Allure
08-30-2007, 04:40 AM
I agree with you. He is not faking an injury. Actually, my first thought was that Rafa just played a bad match. But it seems that his knee is indeed bothering him. He said it was an old injury, but it isnt getting any worse. Oh well, it doesnt seem to getting that better either. He goes on and say something like that, about hardcourts:

Q. Does this surface here make your knee hurt more than it might on grass or clay do you think?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the hard surface always is tougher, and the tennis is going to have more and more hard surfaces tournament. And in my opinion is a little bit mistake because for the players and for have a longer career is better play in other surfaces. But the tennis is going like this.
For sure is less aggressive, grass or clay.

But that is the problem. Even if hardcourts are tougher on the body, it isnt a surface you should play like you play on clay. You can do that and be succesfull, but the price your body pays is too big. A surface that isnt nice to your joints requires you to play aggressive tennis, to cut down the running around to a minimum. I do think that Rafa has powerful shots enough to relly less on his court coverage, but maybe it is his mindset (so effective on clay) that sometimes get in the way. I dont like Nadal's game at all, but it would take a blind person not to realize that he can win big on hardcourts (he actually done that anyway, on Master Series).

And, by aggressive tennis I dont mean coming to the net that often. But flattening out his shots. A good strategy for Rafa, in earlier rounds, would be in the first set, playing more like Federer, for example. Hitting big, going for the lines, even if he ends up missing some shots. It would probably work out. But if it doesnt, then, and only then, he would revert to his clay court game.

Exactly. To me, he plays the same style on all surfaces and he needs to change that.

Metis
08-30-2007, 04:50 AM

It doesn't sound promising at all. I can't imagine this injury getting significantly better in a day. I'll be surprised if he manages to finish his 2nd round match. In any case it is painful to watch such matches where you are continuously wondering how much longer the player will last.

As for the haters they are just trolling. Everyone and their mother could see that Nadal was playing injured.

Allure
08-30-2007, 04:53 AM
Nadal is a spartan. He can win this tournament with one leg and half an arm.

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 04:57 AM
Withdraw from the event, if injured.

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Exactly. To me, he plays the same style on all surfaces and he needs to change that.

I don't think that is really a fair assessment. He played some great aggressive tennis at IW- which got him a shield. Flatter shots and better serves. At at Wimbles- he played some good aggressive stuff. Unless I was wrong- he was not same defensive style during the final.

He has it in him- granted we have seen it come to fruition on grass- which has a different bounce- and slow hard. But still. I don't think it is accurate to say that he played at IW the same he has always played. At least imo.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 05:39 AM
haha yea, how do u know :|?

You told me. : |

Adler
08-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Withdraw from the event, if injured.
exactly. He's not feeling well - that's a fact - but still thinks he can defeat al those journeymen and he's probably right. It seems that the thing he doesn't realize is that he's risking very much

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 05:45 AM
exactly. He's not feeling well - that's a fact - but still thinks he can defeat al those journeymen and he's probably right. It seems that the thing he doesn't realize is that he's risking very much

As soon as he loses, then he will be injured. He chose to play this event, therefore he deals with the consequences.

Tipsarevic might end it, though I doubt it.

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 05:46 AM
The announcers said Tipsarevic is battling patella tendonitis as well, so this one might be a classic. :help:

Puschkin
08-30-2007, 05:51 AM

I am not a Rafatard, but that thought came to my mind, too. He was a shadow of himself and something was obviously wrong for him.

FedFan_2007
08-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Battle of the Hobbled, Part Deux

Meanwhile, Federer cruising.

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:07 AM

As Gustavo said, it would be a relief in the tennis world... :)

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 06:14 AM
As soon as he loses, then he will be injured.

George- I am surprised. So are you saying that he was faking and the MRI, etc. was just for show?

As Gustavo said, it would be a relief in the tennis world..

Pure class as usual- being happy about an injury. Would not expect anything less from you. ;)

yana
08-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Pure class as usual- being happy about an injury. Would not expect anything less from you. ;)

And look: he's 31. :lol: he seems more like 13 to me.

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM

:cool: :lol: funny how a comment on a tennis board can hurt some sensibilities... Geez, you know some people can't stand your idol, big deal, life goes on... :hug: :o

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:26 AM
And look: he's 31. :lol: he seems more like 13 to me.

:hug: :hug: BAMOS RAFITO ! :rocker2:

:lol: :wavey:

yana
08-30-2007, 06:30 AM
:cool: :lol: funny how a comment on a tennis board can hurt some sensibilities... Geez, you know some people can't stand your idol, big deal, life goes on... :hug: :o

Look who's talking: the main Fedass kisser (except maybe FedFan 200...):yeah:

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Look who's talking: the main Fedass kisser (except maybe FedFan 200...):yeah:

:hug: The next clay season is not that far... :hug: Rafito will shine again, don't worry :o

MariaV
08-30-2007, 06:37 AM
George- I am surprised. So are you saying that he was faking and the MRI, etc. was just for show?

I didn't expect anything different from GWH & the clowns here. Same old same old, getting very old really. :yawn: :zzz: Just like Fed winning the slams. :yawn: :zzz:

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Maria sweetiepie, don't be so sour, Rafa DID win... :o :hug:

MariaV
08-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Maria sweetiepie, don't be so sour, Rafa DID win... :o :hug:

:hearts: :inlove: I'd rather he gave Tipsy w/o.
Congrats on the 12th GS title. :kiss:

Clara Bow
08-30-2007, 06:51 AM

Sorry- I just think that being gleeful about an athlete's injury is kinda shitty- whatever the sport. I follow a lot of sports and if someone is injured from a team or a singular sport that I am not a fan of- I don't get giddy about it. But to each our own I guess.

OZTENNIS
08-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Alun :) a great effort no matter what some bastards say here...

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 07:07 AM
That's not what he said. ;)

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 08:46 AM

How is it Beforehand was clearly able to understand what I actually said.

No, I have not said anything about him faking an injury, just look at the whole comment first and not isolate bits that suit your view.

I don't and have never cheered someone getting injured and that includes people like Roddick, so why would I start now.

Just the fact as soon as Nadal loses in this event, then the whole he was injured stuff will be highlighted and as I said previously, if he is that injured to the level where he can't give his best efforts then he should withdraw from this event, it's not like he will stop playing tomorrow. But he won't and then he has take the consequences of his choices.

MariaV, stop whining.

Sofonda Cox
08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Me - http://planetsmilies.net/violent-smiley-1423.gif (http://planetsmilies.net) - Rafatards

thesupreme
08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=Andreas Du Rieux;5938639]How is it Beforehand was clearly able to understand what I actually said.

No, I have not said anything about him faking an injury, just look at the whole comment first and not isolate bits that suit your view.

I don't and have never cheered someone getting injured and that includes people like Roddick, so why would I start now.

QUOTE]

lol @ the Roddick comment

Castafiore
08-30-2007, 09:37 AM
the fact as soon as Nadal loses in this event, then the whole he was injured stuff will be highlighted
as soon as?

The knee problem has been discussed well before the US Open (in the previews, in articles based on training sessions,...).
In fact, it's been discussed since Wimbledon so it's not exactly a convenient injury that suddenly pops up as an explanation for a loss afterwards.

As far as I can tell, your viewpoint is that if a player decides to play, than he's fit enough for the match and they shouldn't bring up the injury as an explanation. Right?

Well, I just hope that his team and Rafael himself takes the wise and right decision. Judging from the articles, it doesn't seem to have been such a black and white decision. They seem to be hoping that his knee will get better seeing as it has improved in the last few days after the weekend but I wonder how much better can his knee get if he has to play grand slam matches. :shrug:

Having said that: awful match to watch on more than one level. :o

Turquoise
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm worried about Nadal. Grand slam or not, it's foolhardy to aggravate an injury that could potentially threaten his career in the long run. Better to lose ranking and race points, forget about catching up to Federer for now and live to fight another day. I want to see a lot more of Nadal; but a Nadal who's healthy, not one who's breaking himself down.

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
as soon as?

The knee problem has been discussed well before the US Open (in the previews, in articles based on training sessions,...).
In fact, it's been discussed since Wimbledon so it's not exactly a convenient injury that suddenly pops up as an explanation for a loss afterwards.

He wins he is a hero for playing wounded, he loses then he was injured. In other words it's having it both ways.

As far as I can tell, your viewpoint is that if a player decides to play, than he's fit enough for the match and they shouldn't bring up the injury as an explanation. Right?

Pretty much. What is more important, winning titles or a players health? If a player is fit enough to take the court, then they deal with it and if they aren't and know they can't give their best, then there is no shame in withdrawing from the event. It's called priorities.

Well, I just hope that his team and Rafael himself takes the wise and right decision. Judging from the articles, it doesn't seem to have been such a black and white decision. They seem to be hoping that his knee will get better seeing as it has improved in the last few days after the weekend but I wonder how much better can his knee get if he has to play grand slam matches. :shrug:

Fell for the lure of chasing the number 1 ranking and not consider the health of the player. It's commonsense playing back to back events on a hardcourt with a bung knee, isn't it. Carrying an injury problem into a Slam isn't exactly bright.

Naide
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
As Gustavo said, it would be a relief in the tennis world... :)

This troll would like Nadal to die, isn't it pathetic to wish someone's death?

Castafiore
08-30-2007, 10:01 AM
He wins he is a hero for playing wounded, he loses then he was injured. In other words it's having it both ways.
That's one of the side effects, yes, but you can't blame the media for talking about a real injury, can you?

Carrying an injury problem into a Slam isn't exactly bright.
No, it isn't. Sadly, Rafa seems to be rather stubborn that way. :o

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
This troll would like Nadal to die, isn't it pathetic to wish someone's death?

Come on, tennis is a game, I admit I couldn't care less if Rafa had to pull out because of an injury, but wishing somebody's death is just too much... :eek:

bokehlicious
08-30-2007, 10:03 AM

The Rafatards win either way... :zzz: :zzz:

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
That's one of the side effects, yes, but you can't blame the media for talking about a real injury, can you?

No, it isn't. Sadly, Rafa seems to be rather stubborn that way. :o

How much can I blame the media for fan overractions?

Naide
08-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Come on, tennis is a game, I admit I couldn't care less if Rafa had to pull out because of an injury, but wishing somebody's death is just too much... :eek:

Indeed, there's a difference between not liking a player and being disturbed.

Frederick16
08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
i am not a real nadal fan.. but since yesterday i have a lot more respect for him! he was sooo bad this must have been something of a injury.. he could easily have thrown the towel, but he was still fighting all the way and never gave up. and finally won probably his worst match of his career still! deep respect for him!

Ferrero Forever
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Whats really funny, is that on Australian radio they said that Nadal was pushed to the limit, Alun Jones is going to be the next sensation, and rightfully should have beaten Nadal. Aussies are so desperate for talent right now.

The Pro
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Jeez that's funny. The Aussies must be in trouble.

At least we got ol' Andy.

Tess Gray
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Jones looks like he would be good in bed..............I'm just sayin'

Right y'are sweetie:o :D
appartently he played in some movie, they didn't say what kind of movie though :angel:

:wavey:

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Right y'are sweetie:o :D
appartently he played in some movie, they didn't say what kind of movie though :angel:

:wavey:

i read in OOP thread that he was in Wimbledon: The Movie

MariaV
08-30-2007, 11:20 AM
The Rafatards win either way... :zzz: :zzz:

Well, I don't even win at life and Fed wins at all the slams (OK except for the RG). :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
lol @ the Roddick comment

Well there are people that think I hate Roddick so much, that I'd laugh if he got injured, when it's not the case.

aussie_fan
08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Didn't see the match but doesn't matter how badly they both played, it's great for alun to get a set of a play like Nadal. Just hope if he's gets a chance like this against a big player again that he's able to take his oppurnities.

RonE
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Now thats Spartan. :worship:

No, it is not Spartan but it is a word that also begins with 'S' and is one letter shorter than 'Spartan'. Can you guess this word?

Tess Gray
08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
No, it is not Spartan but it is a word that also begins with 'S' and is one letter shorter than 'Spartan'. Can you guess this word?

ooh games:D I love playing games

but this one is too easy though:o

stupid :D

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Shitty?

stebs
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM

http://www.ojohaven.com/cgi-bin/findCrossword.pl?length=6&pos00=s&pos01=.&pos02=.&pos03=.&pos04=.&pos05=.&pos06=.&pos07=.&pos08=.&pos09=.&column=on

These are all the possiblities :eek:

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
spooky is my next choice

Tess Gray
08-30-2007, 11:47 AM
spooky is my next choice

you can't, stebs already took that one:o

MariaV
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Shitty?

Young man, mind your language!

Tutu
08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow...and people here thing womens tennis is bad. :retard: that was horrible.

Apemant
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.ojohaven.com/cgi-bin/findCrossword.pl?length=6&pos00=s&pos01=.&pos02=.&pos03=.&pos04=.&pos05=.&pos06=.&pos07=.&pos08=.&pos09=.&column=on

These are all the possiblities :eek:

pwned :haha:

cmurray
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree with Ron. This is just stupid. I suppose I understand if the injury is of the nature that it can't actually be made worse by playing on it, but he still stunk up the place due to the pain. I've NEVER seen him play that badly (which makes the win even more inexplicable). Maybe there will be a miracle and he'll be feeling better on Friday, otherwise it'll be another horrid display. no thanks.

ReturnWinner
08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
i saw a little, not very much but i rather to watch that than any wta match
Wow...and people here thing womens tennis is bad. :retard: that was horrible.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I just saw some of this match... what sport were they playing exactly?

Tess Gray
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I just saw some of this match... what sport were they playing exactly?

it's called tennis, you actually hit a ball over the net and the other person tries to hit it back again etc etc. In the end the person who isn't able to return the ball over the net loses the point.

You people are acting like this was such a horrible match. I know it wasn't good, and both weren't playing GREAT tennis. But to say it was the worst you have seen? Come on now... :rolleyes:

fmolinari2005
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I just read Rafa's blog. He doesnt mention "surgery", but treatment with laser. I was checking up the italian doctor that helped Nadal (Dr Pier Francesco Parra), and uses laser in a different way. From what I understood, he uses laser to fix some problems, without having to cut the patient open (it is not even an arthroscopic surgery). This doctor uses the laser energy to help fixing some chronic soft tissue problems- or, at least from reading the medical indications of using this treatment, I got the idea that most of the diseases are chronic in nature (even if going through an acute period).

Anyway. Nadal, on his blog, says the following:

There I go and I get half injured. I mean half since it is not really an injury but the truth is that I could not even hold my knee three days ago. Two days ago I could not practice and yesterday I could only do it very lightly.

I dont get what he means. But, I must assume that the injury (half injury) isnt that bad, and that his staff wouldnt let him play with a serious injury. Otherwise, it might even sound "spartan" playing in bad conditions. But, correct me if I am wrong: in the "300", things dont end up exactly great for them ...

(Links about the italian doctor and the laser treatment)
http://www.edizionimartina.com/edizioni_martina/DettagliTesti/273.asp
http://www.fp3system.com/s_metodologia.cfm

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
it's called tennis, you actually hit a ball over the net and the other person tries to hit it back again etc etc. In the end the person who isn't able to return the ball over the net loses the point.

You people are acting like this was such a horrible match. I know it wasn't good, and both weren't playing GREAT tennis. But to say it was the worst you have seen? Come on now... :rolleyes:

It was TENNIS! Ahh.. thank you, thank you! :worship:

Really, I was finding it hard to tell... at first I just assumed that it was some tennis hybrid and that it was a Nadal look alike on the court. The answer was on the tip of my tongue but what I saw was just too vague... will have to brush up on perceptive skills I s'pose.

Tess Gray
08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
It was TENNIS! Ahh.. thank you, thank you! :worship:

Really, I was finding it hard to tell... at first I just assumed that it was some tennis hybrid and that it was a Nadal look alike on the court. The answer was on the tip of my tongue but what I saw was just too vague... will have to brush up on perceptive skills I s'pose.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
hehehehehehehehehe :)

:dance: Muhahahaha

cmurray
08-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I just read Rafa's blog. He doesnt mention "surgery", but treatment with laser. I was checking up the italian doctor that helped Nadal (Dr Pier Francesco Parra), and uses laser in a different way. From what I understood, he uses laser to fix some problems, without having to cut the patient open (it is not even an arthroscopic surgery). This doctor uses the laser energy to help fixing some chronic soft tissue problems- or, at least from reading the medical indications of using this treatment, I got the idea that most of the diseases are chronic in nature (even if going through an acute period).

Anyway. Nadal, on his blog, says the following:

There I go and I get half injured. I mean half since it is not really an injury but the truth is that I could not even hold my knee three days ago. Two days ago I could not practice and yesterday I could only do it very lightly.

I dont get what he means. But, I must assume that the injury (half injury) isnt that bad, and that his staff wouldnt let him play with a serious injury. Otherwise, it might even sound "spartan" playing in bad conditions. But, correct me if I am wrong: in the "300", things dont end up exactly great for them ...

(Links about the italian doctor and the laser treatment)
http://www.edizionimartina.com/edizioni_martina/DettagliTesti/273.asp
http://www.fp3system.com/s_metodologia.cfm

Ah. Thank you for clearing that up. Al Trautwig got it wrong as usual. That at least makes a little more sense. Maybe he'll get another "treatment" today that'll help some more.

Castafiore
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Translated by nou.amic for vamosbrigade:

(Rafa about the laser technique, taken from the Spanish blog for elmundo.es)
I have sessions in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening after dinner. It's just as well his hotel is right beside ours, because if not.... We go there and there are always queues waiting to see him. Each treatment session he gives lasts 10 minutes, and tomorrow is the last one. I'm also getting a lot of help from the ATP trainer Michael Novotny, who is Czech but speaks perfect Spanish as he has lived in Tenerife for many years.

Sunset of Age
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
All I can hope for is that he'll take the appropriate decision on what to do coming Friday. If he feels good, okay, play, if not - PULL OUT, even if it's a Grand Slam Tournament.

Sometimes I wonder why he's in so much of a hurry to get to that #1 ranking position (well, that's what I think he's been after since it became obvious that Roger wasn't having such a great year as in 2006) - it looks to me that this strive of his may well end up with him getting burned out before his time (Providence Forbid!).

So, I hope Raf and his people will realize that his health is a lot more important, and that his fans would rather see him around for a long time than getting that #1 ranking in 2007 per sé. At least *I* do.

Jogy
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
MariaV, stop whining.
and last time YOU were whining and :baby: still about the Robredo gamemanship injury timeouts against Gaudio :lol:

"oh Robredo had so many, I can point you out at least three clear fake timeouts"

Beforehand
08-30-2007, 03:38 PM
YAY Interesting tennis!

Wouldn't it be great if every major winner started the tournament ranked 50th or lower?

schorsch
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
ugh, i dont know, but wouldnt it be wiser just to have a surgery and let it heal properly. if something goes wrong with this laser shit he can say good-bye to tennis -_- i cant believe his camp is not stopping him from playing. i mean nadull himself is such a competitive person, but IMO not the brightest guy out there. so friggin' advise him to make the best decision -_- i dont care about him at all, but still this is nuts and i think with some exceptions nobody wants to see a player having to retire this young.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think he's retiring before any match. He was practicing today.