martine2
08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Mariano :bigcry:

Kitty de Sade
08-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I had a feeling about this one, unfortunately. :sad:

martine2
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Not too much of a surprise but it still makes me sad....

Adler
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
the more devoted claycourter loses, typical

Yappa
08-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Good one, Philipp. :yeah: More winners and far less UEs than Zaba.

Nice to see that he took the time for the fans. He stayed pretty long for taking photos etc. Guess that shows how happy he was. :)

Naranoc
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Ah, like them both :(

Tough luck Zaba, but congrats to Kohli :yeah:

martine2
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Good one, Philipp. :yeah: More winners and far less UEs than Zaba.

Nice to see that he took the time for the fans. He stayed pretty long for taking photos etc. Guess that shows how happy he was. :)

Yes, noticed that too :)

Stensland
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
good one kohli! :) couldn't watch it though.

jonny84
08-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Good win for Philip.
Another player which has come on leaps and bounds this year.

Rumour
08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks to the German for keeping me alive in my suicide pool :dance:

As for Zabaleta, how does a player make it to the quarters of a Slam one year and never make it past the first round so many other times :confused:

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Easy as expected. It's not like it was supposed to be any other way.

Scotso
08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
nice win for Philipp :D

safinaferrero
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
:sad: Boludo

basil333
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks to the German for keeping me alive in my suicide pool :dance:

As for Zabaleta, how does a player make it to the quarters of a Slam one year and never make it past the first round so many other times :confused:

Hi Rumour - was that a Rhetorical question or do you want an answer?

if you want an answer then "a player" doesnt really have to follow the same stated pattern as another player - and I am pretty sure most "a players" would love to reach Qtrs all the time - RFederer is very good at this theorum very very good - and I am pretty sure MZabaleta would love to be in as many Qtrs too - but the cookie doesnt crumble the same way for all "a players" :cool:

If you want to know why Mariano hasnt reached another Qtr since US01 - then I am sure you can find out his ATP and Challenger history and Injury-History and luck from various places on the web.

2007 Slam recall -

Aus Open - didnt go

French Open - qualified, then beat Calleri 2 days after Calleri helped Arg win World Team Cup - then took Olivier Patience to 5 really long sets against a French Paris crowd and saved a match point or two.. (cant quite remember but it was a great match to watch - even though he lost).

Wimbledon - hey at least he showed up and danced about a bit on the grass a bit - but he's no grass king.
US Open - today - got treated a bit like a Clay Court broom (on a hard court) by Kohlschreiber.

On balance this year was totally excellent Slam-wise compared to last year

:dance: :drink:

(no smileys were harmed during the typing of this reply)

musefanatic
08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Shame for Mariano but well done Phillip :D

DhammaTiger
08-30-2007, 12:39 AM
mariano :sad:

Rumour
08-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi Rumour - was that a Rhetorical question or do you want an answer?

if you want an answer then "a player" doesnt really have to follow the same stated pattern as another player - and I am pretty sure most "a players" would love to reach Qtrs all the time - RFederer is very good at this theorum very very good - and I am pretty sure MZabaleta would love to be in as many Qtrs too - but the cookie doesnt crumble the same way for all "a players" :cool:

If you want to know why Mariano hasnt reached another Qtr since US01 - then I am sure you can find out his ATP and Challenger history and Injury-History and luck from various places on the web.
It was mostly rhetorical but I was sort of curious to know if reaching the quarters was truly just a fluke that one year, because it stands out so clearly among all the other first round USO exits both before and after that run. Obviously I do not expect Federer-like consistency from Zabaleta or anyone else for that matter, but most players seem to manage at least a few more second or third round results in addition to the occassional isolated tournament success :shrug:

basil333
08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
It was mostly rhetorical but I was sort of curious to know if reaching the quarters was truly just a fluke that one year, because it stands out so clearly among all the other first round USO exits both before and after that run. Obviously I do not expect Federer-like consistency from Zabaleta or anyone else for that matter, but most players seem to manage at least a few more second or third round results in addition to the occassional isolated tournament success :shrug:

I dont think it was a fluke really, he also reached 4th round of French Open; but the unfair fluke for him was he's spent the last 2+ years having major injuries; therefore missing slams and then taking a huge nose-dive as a result in the rankings... but now this year he's climbed back into the Top 100 and will be direct acceptance to every slam next year - which hopefully opens up the opportunities for 4 Qtr Final slots in 2008 :)