Federer about the speed of the US Open courts... "..the surface is way slower now." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer about the speed of the US Open courts... "..the surface is way slower now."

MatchFederer
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5iGpHJ_2V8&mode=related&search=

Interesting... Montreal was apparently pretty quick and Cincy very quick, but the US Open surface is apparently "way slower", though the balls are different.. (faster?)

Discuss...

Byrd
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
It looks faster than montreal but not faster than cincy IMO.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 04:50 PM
What the hell does Federer know

Forehander
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
he just means that the the ball was slower than cincinnati that's all. Im pretty sure it is much quicker than montreal though

MatchFederer
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Forehander.. Federer CLEARLY states that the surface is much slower as well as the balls being different.

Fumus... a lot I would imagine.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Ferrero said that the balls suited players who hit the ball hard and flat.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Forehander.. Federer CLEARLY states that the surface is much slower as well as the balls being different.

Fumus... a lot I would imagine.

Federer doesn't know shit. :D

cmurray
08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Why would the surface be playing slower? They don't resurface every year, do they?

Is he saying that the balls and surface are different than previous years?

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess Feds felt a little overheated when he said that. :lol:

l_mac
08-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought they did resurface Ashe this year - I might be wrong. It has been known.

FedFan_2007
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Federer is saying that all the courts are slower this year - I think he's whining a bit too much. Come on Feds, suck it up and play tennis!

cmurray
08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I thought they did resurface Ashe this year - I might be wrong. It has been known.

Hmmm...maybe it is. Anyone know for sure?

Fumus
08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I read, and John Mac talked about how these courts this year, are the fastest the US Open courts have ever been...

But Fed's entitled to his wrong opinion.

nobama
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Federer doesn't know shit. :DHe does know how to beat Andy Roddick though. :p

ranaldo
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Fed is not playing at his best so everything looks slow to him I guess.

It's funny because Montreal looked way faster than Cincy although almost all players stated otherwise: comparing his matches against Hewitt, Cincy looked like a moonballing contest, although admittedly both sucked from the back of the court at Cincy and were excellent in Montreal.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
He does know how to beat Andy Roddick though. :p

yes yes, he has that down pat.

MatchFederer
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I THINK that Federer is suggesting that the court surface plays more slowly than Montreal and Cincy.. not previous US Opens.

cmurray
08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I THINK that Federer is suggesting that the court surface plays more slowly than Montreal and Cincy.. not previous US Opens.

Oh. okay. :shrug: I don't have context for his comment...but if he said "the surface is way slower now", doesn't it seem as though he's comparing it to previous years?

l_mac
08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
There was a thread abuot the US Open court speed a few weeks ago, referring to a thread on the tennis-warehouse boards. In that thread there was the following post:

I posted this in that thread:

Quote:
I call bullshit. I know for a fact that the USTA has no plans on speeding up the courts this year. Canas practiced last week at the tennis center for the first time in almost 3 years on outer courts, he can't really speak on how fast the courts are. They just finish resurfacing AA stadium on Tuesday there is no way anyone can tell now whether or not the courts are at record speeds since no one is allowed to walk on them for 2 weeks.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=107699

MatchFederer
08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh. okay. :shrug: I don't have context for his comment...but if he said "the surface is way slower now", doesn't it seem as though he's comparing it to previous years?

Yes it COULD, but it could also just mean now as in.. now compared to the previous 2 tournies... It is hard to know but I am going by the tone of his voice in the youtube clip. :)

cmurray
08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
There was a thread abuot the US Open court speed a few weeks ago, referring to a thread on the tennis-warehouse boards. In that thread there was the following post:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=107699

Oh. Thank you very much, l mac. I didn't know this. It doesn't look slower to me, but Roger would know better than I.

MatchFederer
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
For those watching it on the TV... perhaps the respective cadence of the camera angles offers different perspectives in terms of speed... I seem to remember the difference in the camera court angles were very different between Montreal and Cincy.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
and finally who cares what the court is playing like...it could be playing like a hardwood floor he's still expected to win.

l_mac
08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
and finally who cares what the court is playing like...it could be playing like a hardwood floor he's still expected to win.

And expecting :)

Fumus
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
And expecting :)

;)

scarecrows
08-29-2007, 06:03 PM
havent followed many matches but the amount of breaks i've seen on scoreboard has made me wonder if it's reaslly slower

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
It's slower. Stupid USTA.

BlakeorHenman
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Ferrero said that the balls suited players who hit the ball hard and flat.

That would explain Safin's fantastic match earlier.

DrJules
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Can only go on certain matches, but note following:

1) Ivo Karlovic

Clement breaks his serve 4 times and wins 38% of receiving points.

2) Sam Querrey

Koubek breaks serve 5 times and wins 45% of receiving points.

I would not expect these figures against very fast servers if the courts are playing fast.

Not sure what general serve break figures are like so far this week, but believe it to be good indicator of court speed.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Can only go on certain matches, but note following:

1) Ivo Karlovic

Clement breaks his serve 4 times and wins 38% of receiving points.

2) Sam Querrey

Koubek breaks serve 5 times and wins 45% of receiving points.

I would not expect these figures against very fast servers if the courts are playing fast.

Not sure what general serve break figures are like so far this week, but believe it to be good indicator of court speed.

Interesting point you bring up here.
On the other hand, Max Myrni didn't seem to be bothered by the court speed at all - and his serve-volley game would surely benefit from a faster court, or am I wrong here?

DrJules
08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
What the hell does Federer know

He has played on the court.

BlakeorHenman
08-29-2007, 06:44 PM
On the other hand, Max Myrni didn't seem to be bothered by the court speed at all - and his serve-volley game would surely benefit from a faster court, or am I wrong here?

Isner didn't mind it either...

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Who tells you so? Max is a bad match-up for Baghdatis, doesn't matter the surface. It's not like he was winning his service games easily

DrJules
08-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Baghdatis won 34% of receiving points and had 10 breaks points, but only converted 2 in 4 sets.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 06:50 PM
He has played on the court.

Dude every tournement the players bitch about court speed but seriously it's hard court, deco-turf...it may slow a bit or get alittle fast but it's playing like a hard court.

Ya know, I mean the grass courts are the same way, and the clay the same way...ya know...you change the speed slightly but you can't change the way the ballbounces on this stuff, the overall characteristics stay the same and if it's something so minute...as slight speed variation from one year to the next or one tournement to the next it doesn't matter too much in my opinion.

This all besides the point that, everyone besides Federer has said these courts are the fastest they have been in years.

LocoPorElTenis
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, there's something odd about the surface for sure since David "my first serve looks like a second and I'd rather return Karlovic's first rather than serve a second" Nalbandián is currently 6th in #of aces :help:

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Who tells you so? Max is a bad match-up for Baghdatis, doesn't matter the surface. It's not like he was winning his service games easily

It was just an idea, that's why I asked whether it could be an indication. :cool:

I guess not.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, there's something odd about the surface for sure since David "my first serve looks like a second and I'd rather return Karlovic's first rather than serve a second" Nalbandián is currently 6th in #of aces :help:

Nothing odd except he played Navarro-Pastor, not Bjorkman.

DrJules
08-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Dude every tournement the players bitch about court speed but seriously it's hard court, deco-turf...it may slow a bit or get alittle fast but it's playing like a hard court.

Ya know, I mean the grass courts are the same way, and the clay the same way...ya know...you change the speed slightly but you can't change the way the ballbounces on this stuff, the overall characteristics stay the same and if it's something so minute...as slight speed variation from one year to the next or one tournement to the next it doesn't matter too much in my opinion.

This all besides the point that, everyone besides Federer has said these courts are the fastest they have been in years.

Wimbledon 2007 has little in common with Wimbledon in 1994 in terms of speed; there has been a very significant slowing of the courts.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Wimbledon 2007 has little in common with Wimbledon in 1994 in terms of speed; there has been a very significant slowing of the courts.

The difference of the bounce between Wimbledon 2000 and 2006 is abysmal. It looks like a totally different tournament.

LocoPorElTenis
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Nothing odd except he played Navarro-Pastor, not Bjorkman.

Well, I actually meant it the other way: only 5 (actually only 4) players served more aces than Nalbo so far. That tells me the surface is quite slow.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, I actually meant it the other way: only 5 (actually only 4) players served more aces than Nalbo so far. That tells me the surface is quite slow.

Depends on how many aces he did hit. :p

Eden
08-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Really?

It was said on German Eurosport that some of the players have mentioned the court would be slower.

DrJules
08-29-2007, 07:06 PM
The difference of the bounce between Wimbledon 2000 and 2006 is abysmal. It looks like a totally different tournament.

I actually prefer the current conditions at both Wimbledon and US Open. Far fewer serving contests these days.

Fumus
08-29-2007, 07:07 PM

That website is wrong, they are listing the opponents number of aces instead of the correct player that's why Clement has soo many.

kobulingam
08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Fed's memory is most fresh with experience of playing on the ice rinks at Cincy. That's why he thinks US Open courts are way slower (than Cincy).

But look at some video of IW/Miami.... they're wayyyyyyyyyyyy slower.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
I actually prefer the current conditions at both Wimbledon and US Open. Far fewer serving contests these days.

Makes no difference in the discussion what you or I prefer. The fact is there's a huge difference. Stevie Wonder can see it.

kobulingam
08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Fed is not playing at his best so everything looks slow to him I guess.

It's funny because Montreal looked way faster than Cincy although almost all players stated otherwise: comparing his matches against Hewitt, Cincy looked like a moonballing contest, although admittedly both sucked from the back of the court at Cincy and were excellent in Montreal.

mtl looked way faster than cincy to you?

LocoPorElTenis
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
That website is wrong, they are listing the opponents number of aces instead of the correct player that's why Clement has soo many.

That's why it looks so weird :lol:

CyBorg
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I never thought I'd see the US Open hardcourt resemble Indian Wells, but I think we're well on our way.

From my viewings so far the last two days this is medium-speed hardcourt - closer to Montreal than New York last year.