Which Spaniard in the current era has the best all-court game? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Spaniard in the current era has the best all-court game?

The_Nadal_effect
08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Since Spaniards are mostly fed on a diet of clay, I was wondering how they'd compare if we took their all-court game into consideration.

Moya of course won two TMS, and JCF won Cincinati once, but Nadal still leads with three TMS and five hard-court titles overall, and of-course two back to back runner-ups at Wimbledon.

I still think Nadal is the best in this era, from the standpoint of achievement, but maybe some might agree that other players fit the bill from the technical standpoint.

Please vote!:devil:

Adler
08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
come on, there's only one answer...

The_Nadal_effect
08-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Dont say Santana. Not from this era.

Stensland
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM
ferrero during his heydays was at least as good as rafa is currently, if not better. just remember the match where he kicked out a brilliant playing agassi in the semis 03 in new york. man, he was on fire!

too bad his fire's gone. but from an allcourter point of view, his best play is as good as rafa's best play. but anyways, sadly those two never faced each other at both their height.

Byrd
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Sigh... another TNE thread indirected towards Nadal so he can pleasure himself over the 'great' comments....yada yada..

Don't you rafatards feel embarrased to have this joke as a rafa fan LoL.

propi
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Ferrero's record in Grand Slams is amazing... :worship:
But if it's about game, I'd say Moyá's game is great for all surfaces, same with Corretja or Bruguera.
Nadal>Ferrero>Moyá for me

Naranoc
08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Sigh... another TNE thread indirected towards Nadal so he can pleasure himself over the 'great' comments....yada yada..

:lol: I was thinking the same.

This really is only started so you can bask in the Nadal praise, TNE :p

Byrd
08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
:lol: I was thinking the same.

This really is only started so you can bask in the Nadal praise, TNE :p

This guy literally basks in his Nadal praise :lol:

General Suburbia
08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Here's another question:

Who is the best spanish player who has so far never lost the FO and has a winning record against Federer and plays left handed and is leading the ATP race right now? In my honest opinion, it's Nadal.

w00t, another chance to indirectly toot this dude's horn!!!

Stensland
08-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Who is the best spanish player who has so far never lost the FO and has a winning record against Federer and plays left handed and is leading the ATP race right now? In my honest opinion, it's Nadal.

i'm still going with ferrero on that one. you ain't gon' break me.

The_Nadal_effect
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Why can't you post an objective comment instead of your brain-dampening insights?:p

I was thinking the same.

This really is only started so you can bask in the Nadal praise, TNE

:armed:
Hardly do I ever bask in his praise. Its funny the way you put it, though :rolls:

I praise him because he is praise-worthy. But this is not a troll thread. So get back to the topic. Nadal wins the poll, eh?

Byrd
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Why can't you post an objective comment instead of your brain-dampening insights?:p

Coming from you?, you really want me to waste my time and write an answer to this...

The_Nadal_effect
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Here's another question:

w00t, another chance to indirectly toot this dude's horn!!!

You. Are. Not. Funny.:D

BTW, I wonder how Santana in his prime would compare to Nadal?

[QUOTE=Byrd;5933213 Why can't you post an objective comment instead of your brain-dampening insights?

Coming from you?, you really want me to waste my time and write an answer to this...

QUOTE]

:secret: To begin with, reply outside the quote box!

Naranoc
08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
:armed:
Hardly do I ever bask in his praise. Its funny the way you put it, though :rolls:

I praise him because he is praise-worthy. But this is not a troll thread. So get back to the topic. Nadal wins the poll, eh?

Yes, he wins the poll :zzz: Expected win, as some would say :lol:

Byrd
08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
You. Are. Not. Funny.:D

BTW, I wonder how Santana in his prime would compare to Nadal?

[QUOTE]

:secret: To begin with, reply outside the quote box!

Are you being serious...:lol:

Using my mistakes in a message as a form of comeback is probably the lowest of the lows, something your clearly associated with :haha: :haha:

The_Nadal_effect
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Ferrero's record in Grand Slams is amazing... :worship:
But if it's about game, I'd say Moyá's game is great for all surfaces, same with Corretja or Bruguera.
Nadal>Ferrero>Moyá for me

Somehow I'd say the same for Moya as well. Moya on hard courts seems to give the same players Rafa loses to, a tough time.

Are you being serious...

Using my mistakes in a message as a form of comeback is probably the lowest of the lows, something your clearly associated with

People in MTF get so upset when they get to know that Nadal is actually a good player getting better by the day that OMG:rolleyes:

You are still upset that Berdie's form hasn't been the best of late. :o

Scotso
08-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't say any of those choices have an "all-court game."

While Nadal will go to net to finish points, he's definitely a baseliner.

AsianSensation
08-29-2007, 07:50 PM
The lack of Oscar Hernandez is appalling.

aramis
08-29-2007, 08:11 PM
JCF never won Cincy, though he won Madrid beating a pretty tough Federer along the way. His other three TMS were all on clay. I'd say he and Moya have the best all around game, but I'd take Ferrero's (in his prime) groundstrokes over Moya's anyday. It's too bad he got derailed in early 2004, otherwise he was getting more and more consistent on the hardcourts, lost a tough final against a strong Hewitt at some indoor tournament just before going down with chicken pox. He was really imposing himself, a lot like Agassi, taking all of his shots, and even many returns right from the "base of the line". So different from the JCF of recent years, although he seems to be getting the fire back.

But right now the answer is clearly Nadal, although Moya is looking pretty determined lately.

Adler
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Dont say Santana. Not from this era.
I know, I know :)

Allure
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Judging from style of play (and not accomplishments necessarily) JCF has the best all court game. He plays well on grass, good on hc, and good on clay.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
The lack of Oscar Hernandez is appalling.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

RedFury
08-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Nadal and Santana, Santana and Nadal....we still don't know how far Rafa will get. But without a doubt the best two Spanish players in history. And Santana will always -- as Alonso and Ballesteros -- get all the credit for introducing a major, though priorly unknown, sport in Spain.

For all of you young ones, Santana's game had everything to it but raw power. Perhaps a bizarre blend between the classic look and style of Fed's game and the the cheekiness of a McEnroe/Santoro what with all the spins and drop-shots.

maqk
08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Moya & Nadal

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
are we talking about 'all court game' or 'all court results' ?

thesupreme
08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

so true, this thread is so obvious i'm off to peep a thread that hopefully is less dumb than this one....wish me luck!

Mateya
08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I have to say Moya.
Nadal is good allrounder too, but Moya is more dangerous at the net and had great results even indoors on fast carpet.

Pool isnt realistic --> too much Rafatards around here :tape: :tape:

Jimnik
08-30-2007, 01:54 PM
The King :rocker2:

jes_021
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
JCF's style of play in his prime

Burrow
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Carlos Moya.

HybridTheory
08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Albert Costa by far.

*bunny*
08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I have to go with JCF at his best, closely followed by Moya who is not very comfortable on grass.
Sure Rafa's record on grass and hc is stunning, but so far he's generally imposing his clay court game on other surfaces, which is good enough to win him some good titles but it's not like his style of play is suited on faster surfaces.

superandy88
08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Nico Almagro :D

Mateya
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Navarro Pastor

:rocker:

The_Nadal_effect
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
so true, this thread is so obvious i'm off to peep a thread that hopefully is less dumb than this one....wish me luck!

Not really that obvious, since many have disagreed. I especially liked this poster's reasoning:

I have to go with JCF at his best, closely followed by Moya who is not very comfortable on grass.
Sure Rafa's record on grass and hc is stunning, but so far he's generally imposing his clay court game on other surfaces, which is good enough to win him some good titles but it's not like his style of play is suited on faster surfaces.

Well said.

propi
08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I've always had the impression that Carlos didn't really believe in his chances/ tennis when playing on grass... like he didn't care a lot about it... however when he had a target in his mind he was hard to stop... see Davis Cup final vs. Australia where he solvently defeat Mark P. on grass... he really wanted DC and had he had any Wimbledon real ambition, we'd have seen great performances of Carlos on grass. Afterall he's got a nice serve, impressive forehand, can slice his backhand nicely and is able to volley.
I don't know if my explanation is clear but at least I tried :p

claudine140
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Since Spaniards are mostly fed on a diet of clay, I was wondering how they'd compare if we took their all-court game into consideration.

Moya of course won two TMS, and JCF won Cincinati once, but Nadal still leads with three TMS and five hard-court titles overall, and of-course two back to back runner-ups at Wimbledon.

I still think Nadal is the best in this era, from the standpoint of achievement, but maybe some might agree that other players fit the bill from the technical standpoint.

Please vote!:devil:
moya carlos:
SINGLES CAREER TITLES (20): 1995--Buenos Aires; 1996--Umag; 1997--Long Island; 1998--Monte Carlo, Roland Garros; 2000--Estoril; 2001--Umag; 2002--Acapulco, Bastad, Cincinnati TMS, Umag; 2003--Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Umag; 2004--Acapulco, Chennai, Rome AMS; 2005--Chennai; 2006--Buenos Aires; 2007--Umag
FINALIST (22): 1996--Bucharest, Munich; 1997--Amsterdam, Australian Open, Bournemouth, Indianapolis, Sydney Outdoor; 1998--Mallorca, Singles Championship; 1999--Indian Wells; 2000--Toulouse; 2001--Barcelona; 2002--Hong Kong, MonteCarlo TMS ; 2003--Miami TMS, Vienna; 2004--Buenos Aires, Sydney; 2005--Umag; 2006--Chennai; 2007--Acapulco, Sydney

The_Nadal_effect
08-30-2007, 05:26 PM
moya carlos:
SINGLES CAREER TITLES (20): 1995--Buenos Aires; 1996--Umag; 1997--Long Island; 1998--Monte Carlo, Roland Garros; 2000--Estoril; 2001--Umag; 2002--Acapulco, Bastad, Cincinnati TMS, Umag; 2003--Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Umag; 2004--Acapulco, Chennai, Rome AMS; 2005--Chennai; 2006--Buenos Aires; 2007--Umag
FINALIST (22): 1996--Bucharest, Munich; 1997--Amsterdam, Australian Open, Bournemouth, Indianapolis, Sydney Outdoor; 1998--Mallorca, Singles Championship; 1999--Indian Wells; 2000--Toulouse; 2001--Barcelona; 2002--Hong Kong, MonteCarlo TMS ; 2003--Miami TMS, Vienna; 2004--Buenos Aires, Sydney; 2005--Umag; 2006--Chennai; 2007--Acapulco, Sydney

Thank you for that!
So Ol' Charlie had an Australian Open final in him as well. :eek:

Learn Rafa learn.:cool:

Burrow
08-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Thank you for that!
So Ol' Charlie had an Australian Open final in him as well. :eek:

Learn Rafa learn.:cool:

You never knew?

The_Nadal_effect
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
You never knew?

:o So what? One begins with ignorance.

But Moya's record on hard is rather impressive for a clay-courter.

Alex Formosa
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Guillermo Alcaide is good!

propi
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
:o So what? One begins with ignorance.

But Moya's record on hard is rather impressive for a clay-courter.
His performance in Aus Open'97 was pretty nice, specially his semifinal vs. Chang, on the final he had nothing to do vs. big bad Pete.
Apparently he's the favourite of the crowd, thanks to gay support he had, he wasn't a big star by then and world knew about Moya in that tourney.
97 was in general a great tournament for Spanish male tennis, since, if I remember right Costa, Mantilla and Moya reached 1/4 :D
*Huge Off topic alert*
And 97 was an impressive year for Carlos, reaching lots of finals but at the end he could only win 1 little tournament...
As surprising fact I'd say he had to play big part of the year, American season prior to US Open with his hair short and cut because he's in the army by then doing the compulsory service... and IMO he's very fine with it, pity :p

Alex Formosa
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi! propi , do you know what's going on with Javier Garrapiz?

Didn't see his name on the Spain Futures for Several months!

Magus13
08-30-2007, 08:26 PM
nadal's backhand and baseline game, f lopez forehand and serve.

oz_boz
08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Duh. Lopez will soon shut the clueless up with his deadly all-court game - in fact, he does spray balls all over the court better than anyone else on the list.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2007, 08:53 PM
ferrero during his heydays was at least as good as rafa is currently, if not better. just remember the match where he kicked out a brilliant playing agassi in the semis 03 in new york. man, he was on fire!

too bad his fire's gone. but from an allcourter point of view, his best play is as good as rafa's best play. but anyways, sadly those two never faced each other at both their height.

Maybe but his results don't show it. I have to say though, his hitting against Andre in that match was unbelieveable in how good it was because Agassi wasn't giving him anything.

The_Nadal_effect
09-07-2007, 04:59 PM
*BUMP*

Ferrer has only four votes to Nadal's 33. :rolls:

World Beater
09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
nadal >>>> ferrero

clearly its nadal.

all court game...all court results..whatever..nadal is the answer.

*snowflake*
09-07-2007, 06:58 PM
King Pics :worship:

Baseline, net, forehand, backhand, drop shots, serves - he does it all

That man is playing like his ass is on fire!

FiBeR
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
im not a nadal fan (neither federer.. btw)

but i must say..regarding results.. Nadal is by far..

a couple of MS in hard..
2 Wimbledon's finals
and well..clay :scared:

he has the temper to, after winning Roland Garros, take the grass season, which is never easy.. specially for claycourters.. im not a big fan of his game..that is really subjective..

but.. part of the game is definately temper.. and no one has achieved what nadal did..

so my fair vote goes to nadal :)

natasha_nana
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
i'm still going with ferrero on that one. you ain't gon' break me.

JCF never won Cincy, though he won Madrid beating a pretty tough Federer along the way. His other three TMS were all on clay. I'd say he and Moya have the best all around game, but I'd take Ferrero's (in his prime) groundstrokes over Moya's anyday. It's too bad he got derailed in early 2004, otherwise he was getting more and more consistent on the hardcourts, lost a tough final against a strong Hewitt at some indoor tournament just before going down with chicken pox. He was really imposing himself, a lot like Agassi, taking all of his shots, and even many returns right from the "base of the line". So different from the JCF of recent years, although he seems to be getting the fire back.

But right now the answer is clearly Nadal, although Moya is looking pretty determined lately.

Judging from style of play (and not accomplishments necessarily) JCF has the best all court game. He plays well on grass, good on hc, and good on clay.

I voted JCF...and agree with the reasons above.

I dont think Nadal has proved himself to the same level as JCF on hard...and just because Nadal has reached to Wimbledon finals, does not mean JCF does not (or has not had) the game to do so.

keqtqiadv
09-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Oscar Hernandez :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
09-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Der Kaiser.