Nalbandian[24] def Navarro Pastor 7-5 7-6(4) 7-6(6) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandian[24] def Navarro Pastor 7-5 7-6(4) 7-6(6)

Johnny Groove
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Did anyone see the match? I only watched on scoreboard and saw he saved 0-40 on his own serve in the 2nd set and came back from a break down in the 3rd.

Nice to see him actually fighting back instead of tanking the set and winning in 4 or 5 :yeah:

Viken01
Vamosss !!! :D

Burrow
Pastor should have had this last set. Should play more on hard, only 4th or 5th tournament ever he has played on it.

scarecrows
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Did anyone see the match? I only watched on scoreboard and saw he saved 0-40 on his own serve in the 2nd set and came back from a break down in the 3rd.

Nice to see him actually fighting back instead of tanking the set and winning in 4 or 5 :yeah:

i watched parts of it

INP was pretty good at times but he was making DFs on some key moments and alos some mistakes

Nalby was the usual self, never making things easy :p

ClaudiuS
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
nice way to finish a match Navarro Pastor

Viken01
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Pastor should have had this last set. Should play more on hard, only 4th or 5th tournament ever he has played on it.

Yeah Navarro played really well, very good volley during the whole match. But the DF on MP ended the match.

ReturnWinner
08-29-2007, 12:00 AM
yeah good match played by both, kinda a similar score as their match

in Roland Garros,Pastor Navarro has a very good serve , not just the

first but the second too, he works it well, good slice and accuracy

and decent power, and very good net game, this guy does not look like

a spanish player at all :lol:

scolvin
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
good match, the best i've seen so far

ClaudiuS
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Navarro Pastor:
16 aces (not bad) :yeah:
10 double faults :smash: :smash: :smash:

including one in the end of the match :retard:

LeChuck
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM
That was a sensational match and both players were superb. Pastor really did put in an excellent performance and forced David to play so well to overcome him. David's backhand was as regal as ever, and I also was pleased the way his 1st serve, forehand and volleys were functioning. I loved the effort of Pastor. His 1st serve under pressure at times was unbelievably good, and he unleashing some blistering shots with his forehand and one handed backhand. The atmosphere was pretty electric, and the fans were very appreciative of both players, and rightly so. Vamos Nalby :bigclap:

Schu
Only saw parts of it. David did make some errors on important points BUT he also played a lot of big points very well. Nice start David! VAMOS!

ClaudiuS
Navarro Pastor is a very unusual spanish player
he has a nice serve & volley play, and he looks better playing in hard than in clay :yeah:

GonzoFed
08-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Good match. INP rushed the net in both serves (1st and 2nd). Nalbandian did enough to get the win with some good passing shots in key moments (plus some help from INP in the form of DF). Finally Nalle shed at least 10-12 pounds according to my visual estimated. He looks very fit out there.

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, was a good match to watch. Navarro Pastor really should play more on hard, he is more suited to hard than clay.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Pastor is pretty good, it's not the first time I've seen him.

Caio_Brasil
08-29-2007, 12:05 AM

Agree. Not a typical claycourter.

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:05 AM
That was a sensational match and both players were superb. Pastor really did put in an excellent performance and forced David to play so well to overcome him. David's backhand was as regal as ever, and I also was pleased the way his 1st serve, forehand and volleys were functioning. I loved the effort of Pastor. His 1st serve under pressure at times was unbelievably good, and he unleashing some blistering shots with his forehand and one handed backhand. The atmosphere was pretty electric, and the fans were very appreciative of both players, and rightly so. Vamos Nalby :bigclap:

I have to say mostly due to Pastor, he really got the crowd involved and showed some nice touches of his personality.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Ok, when you merge threads, why is my post first, and yet you keep the other title, and i still lose my vcash :retard: :retard: mods, come on :rolleyes:

I was gonna bet against Safin with that money :rolleyes:

Voo de Mar
08-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Nice match :clap2:
I've seen INP for the first time and I like his game at the net. Unfortunately his baseline game is rather hopeless, at least against such a player like Nalbandian.

Burrow

I've seen him play in Valencia before too, and in Madrid last year, he really could be a top 50 player if he gained more experience on more surfaces, he has a solid and unique game style.

LeChuck
I have to say mostly due to Pastor, he really got the crowd involved and showed some nice touches of his personality.

Definately. He impressed most people immensely today, with his enthusiasm, high effort levels, and also constantly hitting so many brilliant shots. He was very unlucky to lose that match in straight sets I must admit.

justClaudia
08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Navarro Pastor served very well, actually. I remember him from Valencia this year and I dont think he was serving that well at the time. And that serve and volley, very good. But I'm happy for David, of course, glad he was challenged and was up to it. :D

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Nice match :clap2:
I've seen INP for the first time and I like his game at the net. Unfortunately his baseline game is rather hopeless, at least against such a player like Nalbandian.

Well it was actually decent I thought, he could hit hard off both sides but can be too eratic at times and feels forced to go for far too much.

Voo de Mar
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Ok, when you merge threads, why is my post first, and yet you keep the other title, and i still lose my vcash :retard: :retard: mods, come on :rolleyes:

I had similar situation a couple days ago.

mrserenawilliams
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
:bounce::rocker: Vamos!

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I've seen him play in Valencia before too, and in Madrid last year, he really could be a top 50 player if he gained more experience on more surfaces, he has a solid and unique game style.

Second serve is kinda fragile - he has to push too much so he can come to the net and not being very tall isn't exactly something good.

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Definately. He impressed most people immensely today, with his enthusiasm, high effort levels, and also constantly hitting so many brilliant shots. He was very unlucky to lose that match in straight sets I must admit.

I mean each set could have went either way, Nalbandian played pretty well and returned well when he was a break down in the 3rd, and passed well at crucial times, for example that set point Pastor had, Nalbandian calmly placed the ball down the line from his backhand.

I'm sure Pastor can take many good things from this match, I don't think he will feel bad after this, if anything it should give him confidence, knowing he has taken a top player tight in each set, just like at the French Open where he did the same, just on the crucial points tightended up and chose the wrong shot.

LeChuck
08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
INP's 1st serve under pressure, especially when he saved an avalanche of break points in the 2nd set, was very impressive.

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Yes, he can hit his serve with a massive amount of sidespin, down the T on the AD court was mighty impressive at times tonight. :yeah:

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:13 AM

I was gonna bet against Safin with that money :rolleyes:

Why does it really matter?? :confused:

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Why does it really matter?? :confused:

Just to have something to bet if i feel the urge :shrug:

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Just to have something to bet if i feel the urge :shrug:

What do you gain from "vcash"? Just a number? Many people seem quite keen for the stuff.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2007, 12:19 AM
What do you gain from "vcash"? Just a number? Many people seem quite keen for the stuff.

Well, im not Mae, but is just a fun little thing to have :lol:

Burrow
08-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, im not Mae, but is just a fun little thing to have :lol:

Who is mae??

Well I tend to make a few of these bets for no particular reason sometimes.

dylan24
08-29-2007, 12:42 AM
good job fatty

Enjoy Incubus
08-29-2007, 02:19 AM
good job fatty
Have you noticed he's not that fatty?:p

ReturnWinner
08-29-2007, 02:21 AM
he is in better shape right now , has lost some kilos :)
Have you noticed he's not that fatty?:p

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2007, 03:27 AM
I was there today. Excellent match. Pastor has a big game (big FH was booming due to the grandstand acoustics) and the crowd appreciated it. He did DF a lot, but Nalbandian was hitting some very good returns on the 2nd serves so Pastor felt he had to go for a lot. Nalbandian served very well, especially out wide on both sides opening up the court for his first BH or FH taken early. He had some typically beautiful short swing, taken early groundstrokes today.

tennisace
08-29-2007, 04:27 AM
I was there today. Excellent match. Pastor has a big game (big FH was booming due to the grandstand acoustics) and the crowd appreciated it. He did DF a lot, but Nalbandian was hitting some very good returns on the 2nd serves so Pastor felt he had to go for a lot. Nalbandian served very well, especially out wide on both sides opening up the court for his first BH or FH taken early. He had some typically beautiful short swing, taken early groundstrokes today.

I was there too. Was a very good match, high quality from both boys. Fat Dave looked like he's dropped a few pounds since I saw him in Miami.

Marek.
08-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the reports guys. :)

It's good to hear that Nalbandian played well. I hope he can keep this level up and make a good run here.

Adler
08-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Oh come on, sometimes his net game was just hopeless. It couldn't finish the other way

maqk
08-29-2007, 06:46 AM
gr8 win Nalbi, lets make a gr8 comeback this USOpen

INP good game you have good luck for your future, u seem to be toooo good,

hope i see Xristos playing someDay tooo, he seems to talk that stuff tooo much

Apemant
08-29-2007, 07:21 AM
I watched 2.5 sets and it was really a great match, Navarro-Pastor really doesn't play like a Spaniard at all :worship: - nice to see some S&V for a change...

Anyway, he has very good 1st and 2nd serve (too many DFs though) which really frustrated David at times, but on the other hand, his biggest drawback seems to be returning - Dave was destroying him with his own 1st serve losing just a few of them in the entire match.

C'mon David :yeah: get to the 4th round at least, there's a matchup we all want to see ;)

Deivid23
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Pastor has a big game (big FH was booming due to the grandstand acoustics)

The only big thing in Ivan´s game are his serve&volleys. His FH is not big at all, in fact he´s one of the worst players in tour to watch from the baseline (he can´t hit good length not even with a gun in his head) though it´s true he played a good match and he did hit some good shots yesterday

jonny84
08-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Pastor put up a really big fight.

spriwi
08-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Navarro Pastor:
16 aces (not bad) :yeah:
10 double faults :smash: :smash: :smash:

including one in the end of the match :retard:

have you seen the match??

the df amount was result of very deep second serves which caused david serious troubles. he took the risk and had to pay the price for it...

Julio1974
08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
David played quite well but he made some awful mistakes at the net. IN his current form, he should beat Malisse.

ReturnWinner
08-29-2007, 12:36 PM
yes that is true but that was good thing to do for him, he had not other option if considering how well Nalbandian returns and passes

besides overall he won more than he lost with that strategy :)
have you seen the match??

the df amount was result of very deep second serves which caused david serious troubles. he took the risk and had to pay the price for it...

Voo de Mar
08-29-2007, 12:41 PM

Yeah, that's right. Navarro's second serve was risky & dangerous and a lot of DF's were the consequence.

Hola Mr. SK
08-29-2007, 02:03 PM
nice consecutive TB wins, good stuff from Dave!