tennisgal_001
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Blake's BP conversion is :eek:
At least it's a straight sets win...

mrserenawilliams
08-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Like 200000000 BPs in the first set :ras:

GET IT TOGETHER :shout::smash:

But that being said: :bounce::woohoo::aparty::hatoff: Congrats! Esp. after such a short layoff :yeah:

MrJ
He looked really tired out there, lucky for him Russel choked a few times. Get some rest James, why oh why did you play New Haven :(

The Freak
Great play from both players. :worship:
Russell was really playing well.
Congrats James. :yeah:

Allegretto
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
All I really saw of the match was the two tie-breaks, and Russell played the big points in both of them extremely poorly. Had a chance to put an easy forehand away right near the end, yet hit it straight at Blake and then missed the volley by a mile.

Lee
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, James looked really tired out there.

Lucky for him, his opponent is Russell who just can't win the important points.

Bilbo
08-28-2007, 09:12 PM
lucky win for blake

russell gifted him 2 sets easily. he should have won the match against a very tired blake.

tangerine_dream
08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
This should have been an easier win but, eh, whatever. Two TBs won, woohoo. :woohoo:

*puts on J-Block tshirt and chants* James! James! James! :rocker2:

tennisgal_001
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
All I really saw of the match was the two tie-breaks, and Russell played the big points in both of them extremely poorly. Had a chance to put an easy forehand away right near the end, yet hit it straight at Blake and then missed the volley by a mile.

Similar scenario on set point in the first set, but he netted it instead. Had he won that first set, who knows what could've happened? Blake escaped big time, he needs to recover ASAP from New Haven.

KrisJB
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
What happened to James forhand? He wasn't blasting it at all today :(

tennisgal_001
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
What happened to James forhand? He wasn't blasting it at all today :(

Mental/physical fatigue. That's what you get for playing the week before a Slam.

Voo de Mar
08-28-2007, 09:20 PM
This should have been an easier win but, eh, whatever. Two TBs won, woohoo. :woohoo:

In the 1st TB Russell was leading 6:4 and played two crappy points. Blake has won 9th set this season after saving set point. Many good rallies there but Blake had the match under control almost all the time. Russell is a solid carpenter, nothing more.

Lee
08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Mental/physical fatigue. That's what you get for playing the week before a Slam.

plus in the final another week before.

WF4EVER
08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
At least he's in the second round.

JB isn't exactly known for being the smartest carrot out there. First of all he does extremely well and gets to the final of Cincy and still goes to New Haven.

Great that he won but how much gas has that left in his tank, and why did the tournament organizers schedule him to play today when there are still 1st round matches being played tomorrow.

As far as that match was concerned, why James kept hitting to Russell's forehand was beyond me. He would get burned so many times and still go back there. Poor sod.

During the match, did McEnroe say Russell was the best player to not have won a GS match? If he did, it's possible he's the only player (on the ATP) within a million mile radius who hasn't. Johnny Mac must be so disappointed that he lost.

Adler
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
What about Davydenko then?
A win is a win, as they say. But it was below certain level

RagingLamb
08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
great, now i gotta hear about blake for another round.

lovetheunderdog
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
For all you folks questioning why blake had to play New Haven you just don't understand the meaning of being able to play in front of friends and family. The Pilot Pen is James Blake's home tournament. I was at the final against Mardy Fish this year and it was such a great atmosphere with about 150 of James' family and friends cheering and going wild for him all in one section of the stadium. Just look back to2005 to see how well he did at the Open after winning New Haven that year.

Adler
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
But at USO 2005 he didn't have Cincinnati final in his legs

Billabong
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
James definitely looked tired, still played a good match but will have to rest tomorrow in order to fully recover hopefully, still a very entertaining match:)

Tom Paulman
08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
During the match, did McEnroe say Russell was the best player to not have won a GS match? If he did, it's possible he's the only player (on the ATP) within a million mile radius who hasn't. Johnny Mac must be so disappointed that he lost.

McEnroe's memory is probably not working correctly anymore, Russell was in 4th round of RG in 2001 where he famously lost to Kuerten.

mrserenawilliams
08-28-2007, 09:57 PM
McEnroe's memory is probably not working correctly anymore, Russell was in 4th round of RG in 2001 where he famously lost to Kuerten.
Yeah, last night he said Venus got to the 2003 French Open final :unsure:

He should be on a script.

I guess all of the CONFLICT RESOLUTION has made his brain go soft :shrug::lol:

Lee
08-28-2007, 10:00 PM

I think McEnroe only referred to USO.

gogogirl
08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey All,

James escaped by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin. Tired my foot. Michael's stellar play made him look tired. James was lucky to escape from M. R.'s style of play. He is a bulldog out there. He sends everything back.

I don't think J. B. was tired from playing new Haven. Where is this "Prima Donna" treatment coming from as it pertains to some of these guys workload? Some think playing constantly helps a player in some cases. When did the mantra become that they need not play the tourney before in order that they be can be match tough? They need to conserve/reserve their energy for the slams? How does that sound really? If a player is match tough - injury free and ain't played since Saturday - where's the problem? I mean really!

Again - James almost lost because of Michael's will to win and his great game. He not only got balls back - he was great at getting them deep and changing their direction. He played great for the home crowd and gave them their money's worth.

"CONTROLLED AGGRESSION - J. B."

Voo de Mar
08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
No one has mentioned: Russell won three previous meetings against Blake... all in the Challengers, the last one 7 years ago ;)

CyBorg
08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Blake's playing really well. He looks like a very dangerous player right now. Nadal's lucky Blake's not on his side of the draw.

Kuhne
08-29-2007, 01:26 AM
I used to be a big fan on Johny Mac's comentating until this years wimbledon final, holy god that guy needed a towtruck to get nadal's balls out of his mouth. in the end I wanted fed to win just to shut mcenroe the fuck up

Veronique
08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey All,

James escaped by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin. Tired my foot. Michael's stellar play made him look tired. James was lucky to escape from M. R.'s style of play. He is a bulldog out there. He sends everything back.

I don't think J. B. was tired from playing new Haven. Where is this "Prima Donna" treatment coming from as it pertains to some of these guys workload? Some think playing constantly helps a player in some cases. When did the mantra become that they need not play the tourney before in order that they be can be match tough? They need to conserve/reserve their energy for the slams? How does that sound really? If a player is match tough - injury free and ain't played since Saturday - where's the problem? I mean really!

Again - James almost lost because of Michael's will to win and his great game. He not only got balls back - he was great at getting them deep and changing their direction. He played great for the home crowd and gave them their money's worth.

"CONTROLLED AGGRESSION - J. B."

Very true! Russell's good play made James look tired. Does he only dress up to play on big occasion? One would think a player like him would me tearing the Challenger tourneys apart.

groundstroke
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Watched a bit of the match, he made some good backhand winners on Russell's serve.

Action Jackson
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Russell played the big points poorly and had some bad shot selection, so he got what he deserved in this match.

Jogy
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
not a good match Blake can be happy he won it in 3 sets without more energy on this

leng jai
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Hes capitalizing on the tournaments that he can actually win. Smart if you ask me.

Uraitan
08-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Congrats, Blake !!! :banana:

Good job !!!

jonny84
08-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Tough match for James. Surprised at how close the scoreline was.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2007, 03:21 AM
John McEnroe on Russell: "This guy will go down as being one of the greatest players ever not to win a match!" :lol: