Belgians at the USopen ! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Belgians at the USopen !

BelgianGirl
08-20-2002, 05:49 PM
I thought it would be nice to start a thread where we can post all results/news/...about all Belgian players at the USopen!

qualifying 1st round:

Dick Norman (17) - Motomura (Jpn)
Christophe Rochus (4) - Kunitcin (Rus)
Gilles Elseneer - Soderling (Swe)

Good luck to all of them! :bounce:
I hope you all reach the main draw! :p

Christophe and Dick are playing today! :)

BelgianGirl
08-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Scores Norman-Motomura: 6-2, 0-6, 1-2 !
Come on, Dick! :bounce:

fleemke²
08-20-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by BelgianGirl
Scores Norman-Motomura: 6-2, 0-6, 1-2 !
Come on, Dick! :bounce:

6/2 0/6 6/4 Dick is through but will face youngste Gasquet in round 2!! It will be hard but never say never! Comman Dick!!:bounce:

Elleke
08-20-2002, 08:19 PM
good luck belgians!
norman :bounce:
elseneer :bounce:
rochus :bounce::bounce:

ikke
08-20-2002, 08:20 PM
C'mon guys!!!!!!! :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Well done, Dick! :D Good luck against Gasquet! :bounce:

Christophe is on court now: he lost the 1st set 5-7 and now leads 4-3!
Come on, Christophe! Come back and beat him! :bounce:

Elleke
08-21-2002, 07:45 AM
he lost :sad::sad::sad:

King Aaron
08-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Christophe :sad:

BelgianGirl
08-21-2002, 10:00 AM
:sad: :sad:

Better luck to Gilles today! :bounce:

freakske
08-21-2002, 08:42 PM
6-4 5-7 come on!

BelgianGirl
08-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Gilles lost in a close 3-setter! :sad: 6-4, 5-7, 5-7!

Come on, Dick! You're are only hope now! :bounce:

Elleke
08-22-2002, 04:49 PM
:sad: Gilles :sad: you could have won that match! :sad:
C'MON DICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2-3 and he already had 2 breakpoints :D hold serve and break , just win it!!!!!
so c'mon please win this!!! I wanna see three belgian guys in the MD and three belgian womens ;):D
:bounce::bounce:

freakske
08-22-2002, 05:09 PM
:wavey:
dick lost the first set 3-6
this is a quiet forum...
:sad: good luck dick win it in three :kiss:

freakske
08-22-2002, 06:04 PM
3-6, 6-3, 5-4 he is serving for the match :D:D:D:D:D

freakske
08-22-2002, 06:10 PM
3-6 6-3 6-4 :D:bounce:

Elleke
08-22-2002, 06:14 PM
yes! now he faces the #1 seeded lars burgsmuller :sad:
GOOD LUCK DICK ! :bounce:

bcoene
08-22-2002, 11:06 PM
:bounce: :bounce: CONGRATULATIONS DICK NORMAN :bounce: :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Well done, Dick! :D :bounce: :D

He faces a tough match now! :( I hope he can win it! :bounce:

Rhythmboy
08-23-2002, 11:14 AM
c'mon dick!

(that sounds so rude :o )

freakske
08-23-2002, 11:19 AM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/bhq3009.jpg
Gasquet Falls in Norman Conquest
by Jason Brown
Thursday, August 22, 2002

Richard Gasquet's dream of playing his way into a second-ever Grand Slam came to a crashing halt on Day 3 of the US Open Qualifying Tournament as he succumbed in the second round to a free-swinging Belgian.

After morphing into somewhat of a cult hero in Paris when he qualified for the French Open as a 16-year-old rookie, the US Open proved to be too much too soon for France's native son. Gasquet lost in three sets to Dick Norman of Belgium, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

But Gasquet gave the capacity crowd on Court 14 a glimpse of the future of French tennis. Many spectators rushed to the match believing that they were about to witness the "French Andy Roddick," a young player with unimaginable tools on the tennis court.

And at first glance, the two young stars shared common traits. Gasquet sported the classic Roddick trademark -- the backwards baseball cap -- and every time he turned to view, you could see the same baby face of a teenage champion.

But that's where all comparisons between the two slugging neophytes began and ended. Gasquet was outfitted by French clothing-maker Lacoste, more likely to be worn at a country club or polo match than the Lycra-based, extreme sport inspired apparel that Roddick often dons.

Gasquet had a quiet, unassuming demeanor on the court this afternoon. Fans late to their seats wouldn't have been able to tell if the teenager was winning or losing and, just perhaps, that is exactly how he wanted it. For the great ones possess mannerisms that rarely change. A cross-court winner gets the same walk to the other side of the service side that an errant backhand would.

There was no screaming at the umpire or head-first diving for loose balls. Like a cagey veteran, Gasquet held serve in the first set and waited for Norman to make a mistake. You could once in awhile hear Gasquet speaking softly to himself in French like a mother soothing her baby to sleep. Up 4-3 in the first set, Gasquet struck, breaking Norman's southpaw serve with a flurry of exquisite one-handed backhands. Each time Norman came to net, Gasquet punished him with a passing shot, and he won the first set handily.

"He was just a little bit more lucky than me to take one or two of the break points in the first set," said Norman, the 17th-ranked player in the qualifying draw.

Facing adversity for the first time, down 2-1 in the second set, Gasquet's serve was broken by the six-foot-eight Belgian. Norman led, 3-1, and would win the second set, 6-3.

"I knew we were on the same level," said Norman, 31, a tour veteran who is nearly twice the age of Gasquet. "I kept on fighting and got a little bit more lucky in the second set. But again, we were still on the same level. The third set was very tough. I was down three-love in the third and kept fighting and ended up winning, 6-4."

Gasquet earned high praise from Norman.

"He's been winning a lot of matches lately, but I had never seen him play, so I was ready for a tough match," said Norman. "I was told that he had good groundstrokes, so I didn't let him play his groundstrokes. I was attacking him, going to net as fast as I could, and it worked.

"But," he added, "he'll be back."
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/bvq3005.jpg
c'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Yes! He beat Burgsmuller in straight sets! :D
Well done, Dick! It's so nice for him to be able to play in the main draw of a slam again! :)

Good luck in the main draw! :bounce: :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-24-2002, 12:26 PM
men's singles : maindraw (Belgians)

Olivier Rochus :hearts: - Hicham Arazi (Mar)
(head-to-head: 0-2, but both were very close. 5sets on carpet and 3 tie-breaks on grass!)

Xavier Malisse (19) :cool: - Albert Montanes (Esp)
(never played eachother)

Dick Norman :) - Bohdan Ulihrach (Cze)
(head-to-head: 1-0, but is from 1997 and Ulihrach retired at 5-2, so doesn't tell us very much!)

Good luck, guys! :bounce:
Xavier should be able to have an easy win against Montanes when he's on! Olivier and Dick both have a chance to win, but they'll have to play at a good level. (Dick should have lots of confidence coming out of the qualies beating Birgsmuller in straight sets)

BelgianGirl
08-24-2002, 01:20 PM
For who's interested: here's the link for the article about Norman qualifying for the USopen!
http://www.usopen.org/news/articles/20020823144742af2e880c80fe68b900256c1e00674be2.htm l

And here's an article from the New York Times:

Longtime Pro Finally Earns Spot in U.S. Open
By LYNN ZINSER

ick Norman is hard to miss, even amid the sprawling chaos of the United States Open qualifying tournament. He is 6 feet 8 inches, left-handed, has the wingspan of a hang glider and a mess of long red hair he tries to tame in an unruly ponytail.

He is also 31, old enough that his shining moment was beating Pat Cash and Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon in 1995, old enough to truly appreciate making it into his first United States Open after all these years. That is what he accomplished yesterday by beating Lars Burgsmuller, 7-6 (5), 6-3, in the final round of qualifying at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens.

Norman became one of 16 men's winners to earn a spot in the Open, which starts Monday; 16 women also qualified.

"It's nice to be able to say you've played in all the Grand Slams," Norman said.

The loopy road that has been Norman's career helps him put all of this in perspective. Norman used to get frustrated about his lack of success, that his glorious run to the fourth round of Wimbledon in 1995 was not followed by a surge into the upper echelon of the men's Tour. He never reached higher than No. 111 in the ranking, and he quit in 1998.

But retirement thrust Norman into a middle-class life back home in Waregem, Belgium. After taking a year off, he began teaching at a tennis club. That was when he decided that being a middle-of-the-pack tennis pro beat almost anything else he could think of doing for a living.

"Now I like it a lot more than before," he said. "When I stopped for two years, that's more when I realized what real life was like. I was not prepared."

So being a 31-year-old among players close to half his size and half his age does not bother Norman, who tackled qualifying with the knowledge that his paycheck — $11,000 if he loses in the first round of the main draw — would have taken a lot of hours of tennis lessons to earn.

Strolling the grounds at the National Tennis Center beats playing in qualifying events for low-level futures tournaments in Europe, which is what Norman had to do to return to the game in 2000. His first one was in Spain, on clay, not the best surface for his serve-and-volley game.

"I had to pray for a wild card into qualifying because I had no ranking," he said. "I was so scared to lose. I was playing all these Spanish kids and it was on clay and I thought, `How am I going to win?' "

Norman did win. In fact, he won six of the first seven low-level tournaments he played. It took him a year to raise his ranking to where it was before he retired.

Now he has outdone himself by qualifying for his first Open, something he said he had not even tried to do in about five years.

After he arrived here, Norman said he watched a replay of Jimmy Connors's five-set, fourth-round victory over Aaron Krickstein in the 1991 Open. Norman noted that it was played on Connors's 39th birthday.

"He was almost 40 years old and he was running faster than I do now," Norman said. "It's all in the head. If you feel fresh in the head, you can keep playing. My game is also not mentally very tiring. So many guys, to win one point they have to run 15 times up and down the court. That's just to get to 15-love. By that time, I have won the game already."

It's so nice for him that he was able to qualify for the main draw here for the first time in his career! :D :bounce:

fleemke²
08-24-2002, 03:55 PM
It's SUPER what Norman did! He had a though draw for the qualies but he did it! Hopefully he can play a good match against Ullirach! Go go go Dick :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

freakske
08-25-2002, 12:07 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/bvq4006.jpg
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/bhq4005.jpg

King Aaron
08-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Good luck Ollie!!

freakske
08-27-2002, 08:55 AM
ollie :mad::sad:

BelgianGirl
08-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Olivier! :sad: You can do so much better than a 2-6, 2-6, 4-6 loss to Arazi!

I hope he find his form back when Belgium plays their Daviscup-tie!

Good luck to Xavier today! :bounce: (Am I right that Norman doesn't have to play yet today?)

BelgianGirl
08-27-2002, 09:03 PM
Xavier won his first match 7-5, 6-2, 6-2! :D
Congrats, Xavier and good luck in your next match!

Come on, Dick! Make it 5 out of 6 Belgians in the 2nd round tomorrow! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bcoene
08-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Congrats Xavier :bounce:

Better luck next time Ollie. I hope you find your good form back.

Good luck Dick, you can do it :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-28-2002, 04:09 PM
Apparently Xavier had the same problem that he had in Wimbledon: heart palpitations from nerves/stress. He had treatment in the first set, but was better after he won that set! It's a bit strange that Xavier has this problem because of stress, he always looks so relaxed (but apparently that's just the outside!)!

I hope after this win, he can play without pressure and give the best of himself for the rest of the tournament!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

freakske
08-28-2002, 04:26 PM
tom vanhoudt lost the second set in doubles :mad:
6-4, 6-7 FIGHT!

freakske
08-28-2002, 06:11 PM
well done tom!
c'mon Dick!

BelgianGirl
08-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Woohoo! Great come-back, Dick! (he beat Ulihrach 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4!) :D

Now come on and beat Henman too! :bounce: :bounce:

Also, congrats Tom! :D

freakske
08-30-2002, 07:16 PM
well done Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dick congrats for a good tournament!
c'mon xaxa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just two more games ;)
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

kimmyfan
08-30-2002, 07:37 PM
De laatste tijden doen de belgen het goed op grand slams hé?
roland garros mallise die uitblinkt dan op wimbledon calles en mallise en henin die goed doen en nu weer een puike prestatie van norman, henin, kim, tom en mallise nog al in de running

Holala watch out world cause here are the belgians comming

BelgianGirl
08-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Congrats on a great tournament, Dick!! :D
I hope you'll have a great end of the season!

Congrats Xavier for beating Spadea in 4 sets! Good luck in your next match! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BelgianGirl
08-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Ge hebt trouwens groot gelijk, Kimmyfan! We worden de laatste tijd echt verwend op de Grandslams :) Dat mag van mij gerust nog wat langer duren! :p

Go Belgium! :bounce:

King Aaron
08-31-2002, 09:21 AM
:( Dick

BelgianGirl
08-31-2002, 11:10 AM
It's too bad Dick lost, but if you see his history it's really amazing for him to get where he got at the USopen! The guy didn't have a ranking in 2000! He had such a great come-back! :)
I always enjoy reading about his career. Here's what Wertheim said about his run at the USopen:

NEW YORK -- When Tim Henman looked at the draw and learned the identity of his next opponent at the U.S. Open, he must have thought that it was turn-back-the-clock night at the National Tennis Center. If the rain ceases and desists, the fifth seed will take the court Friday against Belgium's Dick Norman . And in other news, grunge is all the rage; David Caruso is the hottest television actor in the business; and Newt Gingrich has more power than the president.

Norman, now 31, was last heard from in 1995. That year at Wimbledon, he beat Stefan Edberg before losing to Boris Becker in the fourth round. Norman then fell off the radar screen, no easy task when you're 6-foot-8 and have a mane of red hair that trails behind you like a rudder. What was supposed to be a breakthrough at Wimbledon was instead a pinnacle. After he performed his act on Centre Court, he went back to playing tennis' roadhouses and hotel lounges. The defeats mounted and, as he put it, "I wasn't having any fun, which was the worst part."

Norman's game was predicated on a thundering, lefty serve. But when his first ball missed the box, he was a vulnerable, plodding player. "He reminded me of Magnus Srejber , albeit with a cleaner criminal record," said one tennis insider, referring the hard-serving, 6-8 Czech who made a modest splash in the mid-'80s but recently was in the news for an insider-trading arrest.

By 1998 Norman's ranking, once as high as No. 111, was in the nether regions of the ATP computer. His body and mind both fried, he quit the circuit and retreated to his home of Waregem to relax and to give lessons at the local club. It was a fine existence, but soon he wearied of feeding balls to Mlle. Malisse, of telling Mlle. Rochus, "Good, but next time try and apply some topspin."

Two years after leaving the tour, he decided to give it one last go. He played the sub-bush leagues, trolling for points by playing the prequalifiers to get into the qualifiers to get into the main draws at random Challengers. But he was infinitely happier than when he was making main draws. "Being in the real world helped me enjoy what I had," he said. "When I came back I knew right away that I was facing a challenge, but I was ready for it and better prepared than when I was first starting out."

Incrementally, he improved his ranking and, more important, made strides in his game. He will never be accused of being fleet afoot, but he is in shape. Though he still cranks his serve, he claims that he's hitting it more accurately than ever. This summer he went on something of tear, winning three European Challengers -- often beating players a full decade younger -- and elevating his ranking to the point that he made the U.S. Open qualifying draw. "I was thinking that if I [qualified], I could say that I have played in all four Grand Slams," he said.

Before his first qualifying match, he watched a tape of Jimmy Connors , then 39, beating Aaron Krickstein in a five-set epic in 1991. Inspired by Connors, Norman knifed through the draw, beating top seed Lars Burgsmuller in the final round. Norman was ecstatic, but his run wasn't over. On Wednesday, in front of a few dozen fans, he took the court against Bohdan Ulihrach , another player years removed from his salad days. After losing the first two sets, Norman rallied improbably. Behind his serve and some high-risk/high-reward ballstriking, he leveled the match at two sets. By now, the crowd had swollen to perhaps a hundred fans, peering over each other to watch two veterans fight for their lives. When the Belgian served out the match and the Norman conquest was complete, the crowd, though unaware of his backstory, erupted in appreciation for his effort.

Norman, however, was surprisingly subdued. It was his biggest win in seven years, but shortly after the match, he wore roughly the same expression as he did feeding balls in Waregem. As he sees it, the time he spent away from tennis conserved his resources, so in tennis years, he is still a young pup. "If you had said to me, even earlier this summer, that I'd be in the second round of the U.S. Open, I would say, 'No way,'" he told Belgian reporters. "But now that I'm here, I want to keep going. Anything can happen. Just being here, I am proof of that."

King Aaron
09-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the article

freakske
09-05-2002, 07:41 PM
:bounce: well done :sad: but it was too fast over fot the belgians in this slam even for darcis :sad: but good luck to him for doubes! :bounce:

King Aaron
09-06-2002, 07:42 AM
yeah, didn't expect Steve to lose so early