The Don Has a Fair Chance of Beating Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Don Has a Fair Chance of Beating Gasquet

Veronique
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't know if he's confident enough yet to pull it off, but having watched him in New Haven last week and earlier today, he definitely has a game to trouble Richard who ridiculously stands several feet beyond the baseline to return serve.

Burrow
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, do f*** off please. He has no chance.

jonny84
08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
He has a chance to take a set off Richard, but I don't think he'll win the match.

Veronique
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Tone it down please so you can still show your face around these boards in case it happens. I'm merely saying he's got a fair chance.

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I rate Youngs chances at 4%

Andre♥
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
If Gasquet plays in passive mode...

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah actually... if Gasquet is NOT in passive mode then 1%.

Burrow
08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Maybe 5 if we push it. ;)

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
If we account for the possibility of injury or alien abduction then we could even say 6%. ;)

mangoes
08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think so. As much as I want to see Young progress, if Gasquet loses:o :o He'll need a :smash:

Byrd
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Rafatard at its finest, Young has the game but not the experience, in one year comeback with the same question and my answer might change.

sykotique
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if this post is overrating Young or underrating Gasquet.

Whatever it is, Young's chances of beating a top 20 player in the future are not much. Too much expectation too early. He doesn't really have a fair chance at all and if I recall correctly, he's only won 2 matches on the ATP tour as of today. Gasquet is too good a player and has too much experience to go down to Young at this stage in his career. Maybe in the future...

Tomorrow we'll be hearing he has a fair chance of winning the US Open.

Burrow
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
If we account for the possibility of injury or alien abduction then we could even say 6%. ;)

:lol:

Think we can safely say Young is bye bye.

Viken01
08-27-2007, 10:33 PM

:worship: no chance for McDonald

Clara Bow
08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Whatever it is, Young's chances of beating a top 20 player in the future are not much. Too much expectation too early. He doesn't really have a fair chance at all and if I recall correctly, he's only won 2 matches on the ATP tour as of today. Gasquet is too good a player and has too much experience to go down to Young at this stage in his career. Maybe in the future...

So are you saying that he has not much of a chance of beating a top 20 player in the future ever?

I am a little confused- because you say that he has not much of a chance in the future to beat a top 20 player- and then you say maybe in the future. :confused:

I do think that it is likely way to early in his career to beat a top 20 player- but I am not ready to say that his chances of doing so down the road if he continues to mature are "not much." I'm not ready to write him off as having little chance a say two years from now- just as I am not ready to declare him as the savior of US tennis. Give him time before overpropping him, but also give him time before saying he will never have much of a chance to beat a top 20 player in the future. We don't yet know what he will be- and I have to agree with the commentators that we are seeing the evolution of him now. He is not yet a finished product. He did give a top 20 player quite a tussle last week btw.

I think Richie will win this match- and should- he is currently a more complete player than Donald. But I am not ready to say that DY will never have much of a chance aginst top 20 players for the rest of his career.

r2473
08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't know why it is so outlandish. It looked to me as if he gave Davydenko a pretty good match (up a break in the 3rd set in New Haven). Last time I checked Davydenko was ranked 4th in the world.

Still, I wouldn't rate Young's chances as "fair" against Gasquet, but certainly greater than 3% or other such nonsense.

gogogirl
08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey All,

I agree w/the thread starter, of course. I don't think there is much room for over hyping Donald at this point. He had/has to let his racket do the talking and he has. I'd give the odds to Richard - but I wouldn't count Donald out. I think his lefty game will throw Richard off of his game some. If Richard can employ his backhand down the line at many turns in the match then he has a great chance. He is great at hitting winners when he is on - but didn't Don hit like 58 or something like that today?

If Don wins either the first or second set - then he will have an excellent look. I love the way he hits his forehand down the line. My goodness! Chris didn't know where that lefty stroke was going to go many times during the match. Why can't Richard be caught off guard too, some? How is his record against lefties?

I'm calling for The Don in a monumental upset.

"PLAY YOUR GAME - DON-DON" "BOWL 'EM ALL DOWN"

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't know why it is so outlandish. It looked to me as if he gave Davydenko a pretty good match (up a break in the 3rd set in New Haven). Last time I checked Davydenko was ranked 4th in the world.

Still, I wouldn't rate Young's chances as "fair" against Gasquet, but certainly greater than 3% or other such nonsense.

7% is as far as I will go but you will have to get me very drunk!:o

:p

richie21
08-27-2007, 11:15 PM
The Don Has a Fair Chance of Beating Gasquet

Every top 100 player has a fair chance of beating Gasquet nowadays....:o

sykotique
08-27-2007, 11:25 PM
So are you saying that he has not much of a chance of beating a top 20 player in the future ever?

I am a little confused- because you say that he has not much of a chance in the future to beat a top 20 player- and then you say maybe in the future. :confused:

I do think that it is likely way to early in his career to beat a top 20 player- but I am not ready to say that his chances of doing so down the road if he continues to mature are "not much." I'm not ready to write him off as having little chance a say two years from now- just as I am not ready to declare him as the savior of US tennis. Give him time before overpropping him, but also give him time before saying he will never have much of a chance to beat a top 20 player in the future. We don't yet know what he will be- and I have to agree with the commentators that we are seeing the evolution of him now. He is not yet a finished product. He did give a top 20 player quite a tussle last week btw.

I think Richie will win this match- and should- he is currently a more complete player than Donald. But I am not ready to say that DY will never have much of a chance aginst top 20 players for the rest of his career.

An omission on my part. I really meant to type the "near future."

I'd be rather disappointed if Richie lost to an ATP neophyte, even one as talented as Young, that's all. A year from now...you never know.

Halba
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
gasquet has this one in the bag i feel.

Clara Bow
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
An omission on my part. I really meant to type the "near future."

Okay- now I understand. :)

sykotique
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Every top 100 player has a fair chance of beating Gasquet nowadays....:o

...but Young is not in the top 100. Or 200, for that matter.

r2473
08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
[...]is as far as I will go but you will have to get me very drunk!:o

:p

A lot of girls have told me the same thing.

El Legenda
08-27-2007, 11:33 PM
i have a fair chance of not saying roddick sucks this week.

Chaos Inc.
08-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Of winning a set?

Viken01
08-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Of winning a set?

:haha:

Andi-M
08-28-2007, 12:30 AM
He has a very decent chance. I think he could pull off the upset if Richie has an off day.

Chances of Young winning are about 33.333% :D

MatchFederer
08-28-2007, 12:59 AM
A lot of girls have told me the same thing.
:lol:
Of winning a set?

:haha: .. nah higher chances of perhaps claiming a set...

Marek.
08-28-2007, 01:05 AM
I think Gasquet will win in four sets.

switz
08-28-2007, 01:17 AM
i don't think so. Young's game is designed to play into Gasquet's backhand. Richard really found his game against Roitman in sets 2 and 3 and he's usually good at carry his form over to his next match (whether that be good or bad form)

silverwhite
08-28-2007, 01:55 AM
I agree. The Don has been impressive recently and is on the verge of a breakthrough. For those who think it is improbable, keep in mind that something similar happened at MC 05... :shrug:

case
08-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I saw both of his recent matches and still don't think Young is that impressive.

Gasquet looked a little shaky in the first set today, but got over to easily win the match.
I expect that to happen in match with Young.

But than again we are talking gasquet. I think on one of his "off" days I could beat him!

sykotique
08-28-2007, 03:11 AM
I agree. The Don has been impressive recently and is on the verge of a breakthrough. For those who think it is improbable, keep in mind that something similar happened at MC 05... :shrug:

Not an apt example, IMO. Gasquet had been playing (and winning) on the ATP tour for for longer than Young currently has.

Lest we forget - Young has 2 wins on tour. 2. I don't think he's ready for the scalp of a top 20 player...just yet.

silverwhite
08-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Not an apt example, IMO. Gasquet had been playing (and winning) on the ATP tour for for longer than Young currently has.

Lest we forget - Young has 2 wins on tour. 2. I don't think he's ready for the scalp of a top 20 player...just yet.

Gasquet was slumping badly in 04 and the start of 05 and then won 2 challengers before MC. Young was slumping until recently, winning junior Wimby, a challenger and his first ATP matches.

sykotique
08-28-2007, 03:41 AM
Gasquet was slumping badly in 04 and the start of 05 and then won 2 challengers before MC. Young was slumping until recently, winning junior Wimby, a challenger and his first ATP matches.

I still think there's a difference between slumping - going through a bad patch - and not being able to win an ATP match due to lack of experience - which is what happened to Young. Gasquet had actually had the experience of beating top players, before he took down Federer.

I just don't think the 2 situations are comparable, but hey, anything is possible in this silly old sport, that's why they play the matches!

silverwhite
08-28-2007, 03:59 AM
I still think there's a difference between slumping - going through a bad patch - and not being able to win an ATP match due to lack of experience - which is what happened to Young. Gasquet had actually had the experience of beating top players, before he took down Federer.

I just don't think the 2 situations are comparable, but hey, anything is possible in this silly old sport, that's why they play the matches!

Which top players did Gasquet beat prior to Federer? Robredo? Massu? :shrug:

All I'm saying is that an upset here is not as far-fetched as some people here might think. ;)

sykotique
08-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Which top players did Gasquet beat prior to Federer? Robredo? Massu? :shrug:

All I'm saying is that an upset here is not as far-fetched as some people here might think. ;)

Well, they were in the top 20...right? So they qualify as top players, lol. A lot different from Delic and Guccione.

silverwhite
08-28-2007, 04:23 AM
Well, they were in the top 20...right? So they qualify as top players, lol. A lot different from Delic and Guccione.

Still, beating Federer was a huge step up. ;) And what about him pushing the #4 player to 7-5 in the third? :shrug:

sykotique
08-28-2007, 04:27 AM
Still, beating Federer was a huge step up. ;) And what about him pushing the #4 player to 7-5 in the third? :shrug:

Actually, I think that Davydenko will be one of the very first players to fall to the Don. I think it's a horrible match-up for Kolya. I'll have to wait and see how that turns out, but I wouldn't be surprised by a similar result the next time they play.

silverwhite
08-28-2007, 04:36 AM
Actually, I think that Davydenko will be one of the very first players to fall to the Don. I think it's a horrible match-up for Kolya. I'll have to wait and see how that turns out, but I wouldn't be surprised by a similar result the next time they play.

Davydenko was giving him too much rhythm and pace, IMO. :lol:

guy in sf
08-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Gasquet lose to Guccione either earlier this year or last year? If that is true then Donald should have a chance against a player that had lost to someone he's just beaten. Are you guys buying my logic?

Donald reminds me of a young Terence Howard.

sykotique
08-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Gasquet lose to Guccione either earlier this year or last year? If that is true then Donald should have a chance against a player that had lost to someone he's just beaten. Are you guys buying my logic?

Donald reminds me of a young Terence Howard.

Tennis is one of those funny sports where the ability to beat one player has little to do with the ability to beat another player, unless those 2 players play very similar styles, or that 1 player has a style that is particularly effective against a wide array of styles.

Gasquet, for my money, is too consistent from the baseline and moves too well to be troubled by Young's relatively inexperienced mix of spins and angles. Also, the fact that he is a lefty could play into the fact that Gasquet's stronger wing is his backhand. His serve won't hurt Richie for sure, and that's something he's had a problem with in the past, returning big serves. His groundstrokes aren't big enough yet, either.

Of course, this is just couch-potato analysis and Young could go out there and shock everyone. But I think it's too early in his career for him to be beating players like Gasquet, unless Richie plays really, really poorly.

Forehander
08-28-2007, 05:42 AM
lol i've seen his taik lee match not long ago and he's still has a long way to travel im sorry i dun think he'll win this.

jcempire
08-28-2007, 05:48 AM
I don't know if he's confident enough yet to pull it off, but having watched him in New Haven last week and earlier today, he definitely has a game to trouble Richard who ridiculously stands several feet beyond the baseline to return serve.
\

Very touch Match for him at this time.

Richard is way better than the Mr. No 4

bokehlicious
08-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Allez Richard, mets une bonne branlée à ce gamin ! :D

Pea
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I love all the new hype for young. I hope it gets to his head again and disappoints.

Rumour
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Nice to see a young talent like Young finally start to fulfill his potential but I expect and hope for Gasquet to prevail.

Veronique
08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Rafatard at its finest, Young has the game but not the experience, in one year comeback with the same question and my answer might change.

A Fedtard jumping to conclusions, calling a fellow poster a Rafatard simply b/c they sport a Rafa avatar. You and I don't necessarily disagree. Young has got the game, but not the experience. OTOH we've seen Gasquet blow so many matches he was supposed to win. He isn't the mentally strongest player out there if you know what I mean. There's a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, of an upset. Also Young enjoyed great support from the crowd yesterday. They might just carry him to victory if Gasquet gets tight.

Action Jackson
08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Unless Gasquet retires with an injury.

Pixie
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Gasquet, for my money, is too consistent from the baseline and moves too well to be troubled by Young's relatively inexperienced mix of spins and angles. Also, the fact that he is a lefty could play into the fact that Gasquet's stronger wing is his backhand. His serve won't hurt Richie for sure, and that's something he's had a problem with in the past, returning big serves. His groundstrokes aren't big enough yet, either.
poorly.

More or less my thoughts. Though I'd say that Gasquet doesn't necessarily struggle with big serves when there's not much kick in it.

And I also reckon Young could be a real problem for Gasquet in terms of game in few times if he continues to improve. Not only with Rios, can I see some similarities with Melzer's game who is a bad matchup for Richard. Though, as Young was underrated by a few on this site - or hit like a dead horse as it seems fun - he mustn't be overrated either : he still needs time to mature his game and I don't think what he has will be enough this time.

r2473
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Never in doubt;)

Baghdatis72
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM

:eek:

Merton
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Now the Don must be praying that Lalo wins.

MatchFederer
08-30-2007, 08:04 PM
HA! I forgot to consider withdrawals before the match had started, that would have put Young's chance at beating Gasquet become about 3% max... Now he will have to wait for another occasion to have a crack at beating the french talent.