Murray def Cuevas 6:2, 6:3, 6:0 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def Cuevas 6:2, 6:3, 6:0

danton
08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
The forehand just got better and better - looks like this time Andy is truly back

l_mac
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
^^^Really hope so. He looked so happy and relieved at the end of the match. He still made a few errors, but overall he played much better than I was expecting :)

DDrago2
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Hurray!

Sunset of Age
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Well done, Muzza! :worship:

Glad to see him back doing well.

skybluesam
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Very nice performance from Andy. He looked very emotional at end, stayed on court quite a while celebrating and signed plenty of autographs. Should give him loads of conidence.

HE'S BACK!!

Stensland
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
wow, he apparently really destroyed that guy. didn't expect that, to be honest.

jonny84
08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Great easy win for Andy there.

Hopefully he can keep on playing like this!

decrepitude
08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
:banana: :yippee: :yeah:

I couldn't watch this but from the remarks on here it sounds very hopeful.

Mechlan
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
That's fantastic. Was ready to call it quits on this season for Andy, so it's great that he's feeling better.

Clara Bow
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Yea! I have missed seeing Andy on my tv screen and it sounds like he is back. :)

vincayou
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Good old Andy, smart tennis as usual.

Andi-M
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Im soo happy and Cincy I didn't know what to expect but he played excellent

Go Muzza :kiss:

BlakeorHenman
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Horray... ATP's Martina Hingis is back!!! If only the WTA's Martina Hingis could do a little something.

rofe
08-27-2007, 10:10 PM
:yeah:

cmurray
08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
wooHOOO! I REALLY glad he's back. Tournaments don't feel the same without him there and in the mix. I'm relieved to hear that his forehand is back. GO MUZZA!

Blue Heart24
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Andy :yeah:

Naranoc
08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
:yeah:

scoobs
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Have to remember the quality of the opposition - Cuevas played pretty well at times but it's undeniable that it was a kind draw.

That said, Murray took care of his own side of things pretty smartly - serve was pretty good, especially at the pressure moments, backhand was excellent....forehand was sluggish at the start but by the end was looking pretty close to where it used to be and where it needs to be - tactics were, as always, great fun to watch if you like some cat and mouse play :)

All in all, as good as I could have hoped for - but the next match will be in a different class altogether.

adee-gee
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Am I the only one that's still concerned? For the majority of the match he was putting virtually nothing on the forehand. He was lucky he was playing against a guy who was playing his first Grand Slam match who pretty much handed it to him on a plate.

I still think he's too tentative on the forehand and when he comes up against a decent player he'll get beaten. Hopefully he was just reserving the forehand though :unsure: he still might have enough to beat Bjorkman with a bit of luck.

shotgun
08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Cuevas :(

Not a good debut at ATP level.

scoobs
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Am I the only one that's still concerned? For the majority of the match he was putting virtually nothing on the forehand. He was lucky he was playing against a guy who was playing his first Grand Slam match who pretty much handed it to him on a plate.

I still think he's too tentative on the forehand and when he comes up against a decent player he'll get beaten. Hopefully he was just reserving the forehand though :unsure: he still might have enough to beat Bjorkman with a bit of luck.
let's face it, even back in the day he was never going for huge shots off the forehand most of the time.

I thought by the end it was looking pretty good - the return off the forehand was looking strong and the timing was getting better off the ground.

I think it can improve a bit further and against Bjorkman it's probably going to have to, but I don't feel so doubtful as I did that it's feeling better now.

I guess we'll see.

Jimnik
08-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Good win but it was another short match. The real physical test will come later.

CooCooCachoo
08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
I really don't understand this scoreline from Pablo. OK, Murray was always going to win, but I never imagined Cuevas would be bagelled by anyone in the entire draw. Five games in one match is beyond him :o

Kitty de Sade
08-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Fine looking scoreline- nice job Muzza! :yeah:

rocketassist
08-27-2007, 10:46 PM
It was a good performance and it was nice to see the forehand cranking up the power towards the end, that's a very encouraging sign.

Bjorkman will be a good test for him but his baseline game suits playing him, Jonas prefers to play big serve volleyers.

danieluru
08-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I really don't understand this scoreline from Pablo. OK, Murray was always going to win, but I never imagined Cuevas would be bagelled by anyone in the entire draw. Five games in one match is beyond him

Cuevas played definetly beyond his true level, he looked really nervous and anxious, specially in the third set when he threw everything out, including his serve. BTW it was a good tournamenent for him because it was his ATP debut (already lost in the RG and Sopot qualifying final round) and we'll see much more coming from him. We're really proud of Pablo in Uruguay!!

adee-gee
08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
let's face it, even back in the day he was never going for huge shots off the forehand most of the time.

I thought by the end it was looking pretty good - the return off the forehand was looking strong and the timing was getting better off the ground.

I think it can improve a bit further and against Bjorkman it's probably going to have to, but I don't feel so doubtful as I did that it's feeling better now.

I guess we'll see.
True, but earlier this year he was beginning to go for it more I feel. My mind keeps going back to the match against Nadal at the Aussie Open, Murray was absolutely crunching his forehand.

I think it's definitely an improvement from Cincy but I still have concerns about if he played a big hitter who could hit winners from the nothing shots he's hitting from his forehand. I guess Bjorkman isn't that type of guy and Andy likes playing serve-volleyers, and even his next opponent wouldn't be. He really does have a nice draw actually :D
I really don't understand this scoreline from Pablo. OK, Murray was always going to win, but I never imagined Cuevas would be bagelled by anyone in the entire draw. Five games in one match is beyond him :o
Too many errors, he played the odd very good point but it was followed by a number of poor ones. Didn't really have enough weapons to trouble Murray either, he looked like he lacked the belief he could win. I guess nerves might've played a part in it.

rocketassist
08-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I really hope he plays Canas in the third round because then he will have to play the same way as he did against Nadal to win- and he played some outrageous tennis that day.

Apemant
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Andy :yeah: get back on track ASAP

scoobs
08-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I hope he can make Canas because I think that could be entertaining.

I'd like to see him hit that forehand like he was against Nadal in Australia and especially as he was against Volandri in Hamburg before the injury.

Regardless, as long as he's healthy again he can pick up points in the back end of the season - he did very little post-US Open last year.

CooCooCachoo
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Cuevas played definetly beyond his true level, he looked really nervous and anxious, specially in the third set when he threw everything out, including his serve. BTW it was a good tournamenent for him because it was his ATP debut (already lost in the RG and Sopot qualifying final round) and we'll see much more coming from him. We're really proud of Pablo in Uruguay!!

We will definitely see more of him. He's a really talented guy, with a nice game and a great attitude on court. Very nice to watch :yeah:

And welcome to MTF :wavey:

danieluru
08-27-2007, 11:08 PM
We will definitely see more of him. He's a really talented guy, with a nice game and a great attitude on court. Very nice to watch :yeah:

And welcome to MTF :wavey:

Thanks... It's nice to see some people around the world who know the way Pablo plays, and I really hope to see him improve because I know he has the potential. As an example he has already beaten Saretta, Oscar hernandez, Vince Spadea, Kuerten, Squillari, Pashanski, Devilder twice, and much more. He still has a problem with concentration and being regular with his serve, but I think he´ll overpass it and we'll see a lot from him. Vamos pablo carajo!!

scoobs
08-27-2007, 11:11 PM
I thought Pablo showed some nice things today in spite of the fact that a fast hardcourt is clearly not his best surface - especially on return of serve.

He fought hard until late in the third set when he allowed his shoulders to droop and kept trying to find a way in.

danieluru
08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
I think he showed he has a good serve (despite the fact that he only had something like 40% of first serves in) and a really nice one-hand backhand. If only he had played more concentrated and more faithfully the match would have been different (i'm not gonna say he would've won, but a little bit more even at least)

LK_22
08-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Job done for Murray today, did all he needed to do, seemed to have plently left in the locker and only dropped 5 games, although he couldn't have asked for a better draw (although Pablo was better, reminds me of Di Mauro last year)
The real test will come against Canas in R3 but nice to see him back playing and winning comfortably again :yeah:

Andi-M
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Murray is not gonna start hitting his FH like Fed after his been away the best part of 4 months.
He was overly cautious in the beginning perhaps, but in the 3rd set he really started to flatten it out a little more and hit with more power however.

In Cincinatti his BH= crap, serve = crap movement = crap and FH= non-existant. But today all were satisfactory or better and his returns and variety are pretty close to being the best in the game.

I give him 8/10

GL against Jonas :banana: