Federer def. Jenkins 6-3,6-2,6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Jenkins 6-3,6-2,6-4

RonE
08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Not a great match by any stretch of the imagination but then again apart from the usual serving for the match brainfarts in which he faced his only break points against his serve, Roger really didn't have to do too much. Did enough to get the win.

I wasn't too impressed with his movement at all. He looked rather flat footed out there. He will have to pick it up in the next match

Anyways, on to Round 2.

tae04
08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Jenkins won more games than I expected :o

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
My word....

Jenkins his about 50 UE if I had to guess..

Federer was VERY passive, and he could afford to be. It was VERY clear that he was barely trying at times, mostly just pushing his shots back to Jenkins and waiting for the inevitable completely unnecessary UE.

Just.. WTF

Anyway, Fed is through, playing his C- game and he was clearly saving as much energy as possible, the job is a good 'un.

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
My word....

Federer was VERY passive, and he could afford to be. It was VERY clear that he was barely trying at times, mostly just pushing his shots back to Jenkins and waiting for the inevitable completely unnecessary UE.

Just.. WTF

Anyway, Fed is through, playing his C- game and he was clearly saving as much energy as possible, the job is a good 'un.

Nothing wrong with that. Gotta play smart. :bounce:

Voo de Mar
Expected scoreline.

MatchFederer
Jenkins ahnded Federer AT LEAST THREE breaks by double faulting... pathetic.

bokehlicious
08-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Nice training session Rog :yeah:

Mr. Magassi
Roger was so passive that he hit 25 winners and just 12 unforced (that's a +13 differential)? 13 aces were also quite good... 6 more matches Fed!

l_mac
Isn't there some way Fed can just be placed straight into the quarters in Slams? His first few rounds are always awful.

His hair looked all kinds of awesome today, but his game looked flat. He didn't need to bring the fabulous today and he knew it.

Himura
Federer is overrated........

Nah just joking guys

CooCooCachoo
Uninspiring match, in my opinion. Jenkins showed exactly why we won't be seeing much of him in the years to come - unless he really improves greatly, that is - what with his brainless ballbashing and lack of a Plan B. He also showed exactly why the USTA denied him a WC this year.

That having been said, I hope he leaves Flushing Meadows in a confident stride, having picked up wins in qualifying that were unexpected based on his 2007 results.

Adler
Warm-up, nothing more

MCL
08-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Yeah, why should Fed use more energy than he needs to? On to the next round :dance:

RagingLamb
08-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I think even Fed's getting tired of not being challenged.

But why give it your all when being at 50% works?

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 08:14 PM
My word....

Just.. WTF

I wasn't trying to suggest that there was.

Ok? Now I am going to dance... :dance:

mickymouse
Great practice session for the Fed

Rogiman
Awful match.

Jenkins is another tactical master from the USTA production line.

MatchFederer
exactly! HEH.

Sunset of Age
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Poor match indeed. Nearly fell asleep (not just me, Roger as well I think) during the third set, only to wake up and see Roger deliver his trademark Brainfart Game.

But A WIN = A WIN.

jonny84
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Jenkins did put up more of a fight than I thought he would.

Nice start to the US Open for Fed.

DDrago2
08-27-2007, 08:16 PM
This Jenkins is Mr. Doublefault

yanchr
08-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Fed didn't try his best, just played good enough to win. Nothing wrong with that. But I do worry about his poor movement.

Apemant
08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
ALL FOUR breaks were Jenkins' DFs. :haha: :haha: :worship:

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I wasn't trying to suggest that there was.
I was just replying to the thread. :o

Bad Religion
08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Unexpected win by Rogelio

Sco , you are a fucking clown

rofe
08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Blah and expected win. Fed's movement is still suspect and he gets out of holes with his serve again.

LoveFifteen
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Do I get to be the first to write "Never in doubt"? :bounce:

FedFan_2007
08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I suspect the movement is intentionally sluggish to preserve energy. He looked at his speedy best back in Wimbledon, so I'm not worried at all.

honey827
08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I think Scoville has talent but he has stagnated. I really didn't think he played that poorly. It was unfortunate he had to draw Federer for his first round. It would be nice to see him have some success.

MatchFederer
08-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I was just replying to the thread. :o

:hug: the thread was merged when i read... but i wish you would dance with me! :dance:

t0x
08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Roger in energy-saving mode.

Jenkins was horrible, Fed only needed to put balls back in play.

rosamunda
08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I suspect the movement is intentionally sluggish to preserve energy. He looked at his speedy best back in Wimbledon, so I'm not worried at all.

I agree. He just didn't have to run anything down, so didn't bother. His general footwork still looked pretty nifty to me.

Byrd
08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
His movement did look pretty bad today, especially the forehand on the run, otherwise he played ok.

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
:hug: the thread was merged when i read... but i wish you would dance with me! :dance:

:dance: was totally called :wiggle: where I come from.

tennisgal_001
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Federer doing just enough to win in the first round of a Slam, truly shocking :eek:

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree. He just didn't have to run anything down, so didn't bother. His general footwork still looked pretty nifty to me.

Yeah. I can't imagine anyone who thinks he was conserving energy saying he looked sluggish, because by defintion, conserving energy includes not running down many balls. He looked just fine from what I saw, but I stole like...one point out of every 10-15, so...not a reliable source.

FedFan_2007
The dirty secret of the Federer Slam Success is his early coasting in the rounds 1-3, whereas his opponents usually have to play 5-6 tough matches to get to the final.

tennisgal_001
Roger in energy-saving mode.

Jenkins was horrible, Fed only needed to put balls back in play.

The Energizer bunny should be renamed The Federer Bunny.

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
It should be a nice contrast between seeing this and Nadal chasing balls like crazy against Alun Jones.

(NOTE: I acknowledge being the catalyst if this turns into a tardfest from here on.)

FedFan_2007
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Nah, it's already called the Federbear.

tennisgal_001
08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
It should be a nice contrast between seeing this and Nadal chasing balls like crazy against Alun Jones.

(NOTE: I acknowledge being the catalyst if this turns into a tardfest from here on.)

You know it's going to when the thread title includes the names Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic as of late.

tennisgal_001
08-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Nah, it's already called the Federbear.

Federer is bored of his tennis domination. It's time he moved on to the mystical world of stuffed animals. The Federbear was merely the beginning...

caleb_123
08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
fed dosen't need to go full out in the first round, he'll start to peak at the right time in the tourney when he gets to the QF. Jenkins really needs to fine tune his game more, trying to out hit the best players in the world will not work, it might work with lower rank challengers but on the main stage no going to happen.

Kuhne
08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
This is the reason why Federer rarely sweats and never gets injured, he never gives overeffort to his matches.. I know this can be lame sometimes and makes for unimpressive wins but thats why the guy has been on so many finals in a row, he knows just how much to give it and when to give it.. that last game where he served to win the match... if he was playing at "C" level the whole match then that last game he played at "H" level or something, as if he just knew losing was impossible and he just played like crap and used his first serve to take him out of the hole.

Anyways, this is vintage Federer, never playing his best in the begining of the grand slams, Federer this year has been incredible in grand slams, the only two matches he played below his level were the two matches against Nadal (wimbledon, RG) and we all know how he chokes against Rafa, so if you take those out of the equation he has been pitch perfect in slams, add the probability of not having to play Rafa in this slam (we know how good Rafa is in the US Open....) and we may just see a complete boring lackluster grandslam win for federer.. many people think Djokovic is now on Roger's head but that't not happening, the only player that can beat Roger in this slam is Rafa, that's about it.

marcRD
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Jenkins was going for it on all shots not giving any rythm for Federer. Jenkins also saved bps many times with 1st serves on 2nd serve, serving like that ofcourse you will double fault alot. I guess Jenkins entered the match with the idea that he needs to hit the crap out of the ball, even if he will miss most of them it would be better than letting Federer enter any kind of rythm and outplay Jenkins.

Fedex
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Never in doubt

Ceri
08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Yep, he didn't look too special but then again he didn't have to be: Jenkins' serve, when it was on, was great, and they had a couple of good rallies but basically - obviously - Fed was better off the ground even though he didn't play that well today. Still, a win is a win, he'll bring a better game to bear when he needs to hopefully. :)

Jogy
08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
at least Jenkins was interesting to watch :yeah:

Magical Trevor
08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey, am I crazy or is this the same guy who has drawn Roddick and Nadal in the first round in the last two US Opens before this?

Beforehand
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Hey, am I crazy or is this the same guy who has drawn Roddick and Nadal in the first round in the last two US Opens before this?
Roddick in 04, and then Roddick beat Nadal the next round.
And then either in 2005 or 2006, won a match and then lost to Nadal.
This year, drew Federer. Draw has not been kind to him.

Marek.
08-27-2007, 11:46 PM

:lol: Probably. I have seen GS matches where Nadal doesn't try too hard though.

I think he drew Bjorkman last year. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: just checked. He did draw Bjorkman last year.