Kuerten to play doubles at US Open with Ginepri [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kuerten to play doubles at US Open with Ginepri

Raquel
08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Good luck to Guga :) although it's seems really random. Hopefully it's the start of some kind of comeback for him and he can leave the game on his own terms.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Sports/STIStory_152113.html

Tennis: Kuerten makes US Open comeback

SAO PAULO - FORMER world number one and triple French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten, whose career has been blighted by injury in recent years, will play doubles at the US Open, his spokesman said on Sunday.

The Brazilian, who will be 31 on Sept 10, was granted a wildcard by the organisers of the last Grand Slam tournament of the season which starts in New York on Monday.

Kuerten, who will play doubles with America's Robby Ginepri, has undergone two operations on a long-standing hip injury and played just two tour matches in 2006.

His last appearance on the tour was a first round defeat at the Miami Masters in March.

Voo de Mar
08-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Poor Guga :awww: Good luck in doubles.

Johnny Groove
08-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Why did he choose Ginepri? :retard:

Tennis Fool
08-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Probably because no one else would and he really wanted to play :p

How has Kuerten been doing on the Challenger this summer?

njnetswill
08-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Gustavo :eek: Best of luck to him.

Jaap
08-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Kuerten should retire and stop tarnishing his reputation by teaming up with muppets such as Gineprick.

MCL
08-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I hope the team gets a good draw and does well.

stebs
08-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I hope Guga stays healthy and can enjoy himself on court again. A good guy like that, he has fought harder than many players would to keep playing so he deserves a few more matches before he calls it quits.

Although the circumstances aren't comprable it is the same as with Felix Mantilla in that results don't matter anymore, it's about being able to play the game at a physical level.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2007, 12:22 AM
He's got such a pretty first name. :D

Ginepri???? :o

scoobs
08-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Good to see Guga back in some form....though with Ginepri is...interesting...

gusman890
08-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Ginepri cant play doubles to save his life.

Fucking Roddick and him lost in a Challenger.

Roddick can win with Reylonds and those guys, not Ginepri.

leng jai
08-27-2007, 12:50 AM
They should both retire.

Voo de Mar
08-27-2007, 12:58 AM
They should both retire.

:lol:

CyBorg
08-27-2007, 01:45 AM
He can ask Mark Knowles to be his partner after the US Open. :)

Lee
08-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Probably because no one else would and he really wanted to play :p

How has Kuerten been doing on the Challenger this summer?

Guga hasn't played any matches at all this summer. He still has problem with his hips.

Havok
08-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Please retire Guga. He's completely killing his name. He had a really nice resurgence in 2004 where he finaled at IW and knocked off #1 Fed at RG to make the QF. Then he got injured again, and should have retired. He isn't even half the player he once was.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Please retire Guga. He's completely killing his name. He had a really nice resurgence in 2004 where he finaled at IW and knocked off #1 Fed at RG to make the QF. Then he got injured again, and should have retired. He isn't even half the player he once was.

Wrong.

He never got injured again. He just had the opportunity to get surgery and fix the problem forever, but it didn't work out.

He's not even one cent of he once was.

Ma. Estefania
08-27-2007, 03:55 AM
Oh no Guga :o

Playing with Ginepri? He must be really desperate.

Anyway, all the best for him...wishing luck only for Guga.:p

silverwhite
08-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Why did he choose Ginepri? :retard:

Exactly :help:

Ivo#1Fan
08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Looks like one and done in this one unless they can pull out a miracle. First round they play Melo and Sa, a relatively established team who made it to the semis I believe at Wimbledon.

gusman890
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Henmen vs federer in finals of IW in 2004 ;)

Elleee
08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Poor guy, this has to be the lowest point in his career, having to resort to playing in a doubles tournament :sad:

It's a shame he can no longer play singles, I really miss him, his game and the entertainment he brought to the game. But I would rather see him retire than play in this doubles crap :(

dkw
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah Guga!!!

I went to "Open Practice" yesterday (Sunday) and saw him practicing his doubles...

Ginepri wasn't around though, then again I was so busy giggling like a 12-year old becasue I was soooo close to Guga that Ginepri could have been right there and I wouldn't have seen him.

Burrow
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Gustavo Kuerten would still be top 30 or higher right now if it wasn't for his flaming hips.

Hagar
08-27-2007, 04:06 PM

I don't agree with you. No matter what Guga does or does not, he will never kill his name because his accomplishments are too big for that.

Apparently Guga is not ready to give up on tennis yet and still wants to try to come back. Well, let him do that.
I so wish that he could still have a complete year on the ATP where his body holds up.

Chris Seahorse
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't agree with you. No matter what Guga does or does not, he will never kill his name because his accomplishments are too big for that.

Apparently Guga is not ready to give up on tennis yet and still wants to try to come back. Well, let him do that.
I so wish that he could still have a complete year on the ATP where his body holds up.

Good post. Honestly I admire him even more for the way he has fought against the odds and resisted retirement because of his love of tennis and his stubborness to admit defeat. Those are the qualities that made him great. That said, I don't really hold out any hope of Guga ever having any more success on the tour and it is painful seeing Guga put himself through these tribulations. But I fully agree, it is for Kuerten and no one else to decide when he is through. I expect nothing from him but I would love to be proved wrong.

Baby May
08-27-2007, 07:39 PM
it's sad that Guga has so many injures and can't play his best tennis:(
i wish him good luck in doubles:)

Merton
08-27-2007, 07:45 PM
This looks like a decision made in a hurry, I just hope that Guga is not in pain.

Lee
08-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Good post. Honestly I admire him even more for the way he has fought against the odds and resisted retirement because of his love of tennis and his stubborness to admit defeat. Those are the qualities that made him great. That said, I don't really hold out any hope of Guga ever having any more success on the tour and it is painful seeing Guga put himself through these tribulations. But I fully agree, it is for Kuerten and no one else to decide when he is through. I expect nothing from him but I would love to be proved wrong.

Thanks for this great post.

Hagar
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM

I think Guga keeps trying so hard because he knows that when he's healthy, he can still be a top30 player. If I would be so talented, I would not be prepared either to give it up.
Because when he was healthy, he was a DAMN good player!!! And not only on gravel...

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Well said.

shotgun
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Guga was Ginepri's favourite player back when he was a junior, so it's nice that gets to pair up with his former idol. Though I'll be supporting "Samelo" in this match. :yeah: