The Lucky Loser situation [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Lucky Loser situation

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Robin Haase is the highest seeded player to lose in the final qualifying round.
With Monfils out, logically Haase would take a LL spot.

However, I believe recently the rules concerning LL spots have changed. So, can anybody inform me how the LL spots will be assigned at the US Open?

Thanks!

RickDaStick
08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Robin Haase is the highest seeded player to lose in the final qualifying round.
With Monfils out, logically Haase would take a LL spot.

However, I believe recently the rules concerning LL spots have changed. So, can anybody inform me how the LL spots will be assigned at the US Open?

Thanks!

It will be drawn from the top 4 seeded players who lost in the last round of qualies

Caio_Brasil
08-25-2007, 10:37 PM
and who are they? :D

Gulliver
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Haase, Fognini, Reynolds, Moodie

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
It will be drawn from the top 4 seeded players who lost in the last round of qualies

I don't like that rule.. :p

The only player out of the MD is Monfils, correct?

Beforehand
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Robin Haase
Fabio Fognini
Bobby Reynolds
Wesley Moodie

RickDaStick
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't like that rule.. :p

The only player out of the MD is Monfils, correct?

I think its a great rule. No more tanking or losing on purpose so you friend can make the draw.

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I think its a great rule. No more tanking or losing on purpose so you friend can make the draw.

Of course it's a good rule, it's just a bit unfortunate that Robin Haase will likely (75 percent chance, as it is) miss out of the US Open because of this rule.
Haase could of course have beaten his Mexican nemesis...

Gulliver
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
This rule really makes it Lucky Loser. If Haase automatically got in as the highest seeded loser, there's no real luck involved.

CooCooCachoo
08-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Exactly :yeah:

Voo de Mar
08-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Haase :awww:

Tanguero
08-26-2007, 12:08 AM
:(

It's out and Boddy Reynolds (USA) is drawn in as a Lucky Loser for Monfils.

Robin has no luck at all!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

trulliscorpion
08-26-2007, 12:40 AM
This rule really makes it Lucky Loser. If Haase automatically got in as the highest seeded loser, there's no real luck involved.

:lol: Good one.

njnetswill
08-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I bet USTA pulled some strings. :angel: :o

Caio_Brasil
08-26-2007, 12:52 AM
how lucky was the US player :rolleyes:

Henry Chinaski
08-26-2007, 12:53 AM
fix

TankingTheSet
08-26-2007, 01:12 AM
I think there's a good chance someone will pull out before their first match -- I wonder whether the order of LL is already determined? A guy like Haase still has a shot to get in.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-26-2007, 01:35 AM

fantastic rule... but still Reynolds winning the "award" :rolleyes:

bad luck for Haase

TheBoiledEgg
08-26-2007, 02:19 AM
:(

It's out and Boddy Reynolds (USA) is drawn in as a Lucky Loser for Monfils.

Robin has no luck at all!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

he should have beaten the Mexican shouldnt he........ Horseboy :o :o

Action Jackson
08-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Fixed

GustavoM_Fan
08-26-2007, 05:59 AM
poor Robin :o.... any MD player with chances to retire????

they should have played a 4 player tennis match.. the best replace Monfils :shrug: :lol: :haha:

Fee
08-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Haas and Ancic are both reported to be iffy. I believe that all four of those players will receive per diem payments until all first round matches are completed.

Super-Fabio
08-26-2007, 07:37 AM
I think there's a good chance someone will pull out before their first match -- I wonder whether the order of LL is already determined? A guy like Haase still has a shot to get in.

The order is Reynolds, Haase, Fognini, Moodie

nikita13
08-26-2007, 07:44 AM
The order is Reynolds, Haase, Fognini, Moodie :yeah: thanks for that info. When you think a few weeks ago he was beating a guy like Berdych... he has got to be in this.:o

Action Jackson
08-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Haase, should have won his last round qualie match and he wouldn't have to worry about a Lucky Loser place.

Klaas_nalbandian
08-26-2007, 12:31 PM
please one withdrawal, would be a careerboost his first grandslam, but he should have won against echagaray

Voo de Mar
08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Maybe Haase didn't know about the new rule :tape: Del Potro said he didn't know the rules when he retired against Blake in Las Vegas and made a lot of confusion with positive ending.

Fee
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Not knowing the rules is no excuse. The rule isn't new, they started using it 2006. All new employees are responsible for reading the 'employee handbook' (so to speak), no one is going to do it for them.

TheBoiledEgg
08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Gimelstob should take the Credit (??) for the rule

It was because he pulled out from a qualifying match at Wimbledon after
a couple of games (Best of five) because he knew he had the LL spot
so didnt need to try

total moronic jester he is.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
and had he not played he couldnt have been a LL :o

Fee
08-26-2007, 08:41 PM

so didnt need to try

That is absolute and utter bullshit. Justin pulled out of his match before it was even called from the lockerroom because of the herniated disks in his back, he was barely able to get dressed that day. One of the Wimbledon officials asked him to go out and give it a try anyway so he played one game and stopped. He was fully prepared to pack his bags and go home, but ended up in a doctor's office late on Sunday evening before the main draw began getting a cortisone shot so he could make it through the tournament. The real problem that day was the combination of players who also retired from their matches under questionable circumstances (including Daniele Bracciali).

I don't care what your opinion of Justin is, you can call him every derogatory name in the book, but get your facts straight please.

R.Federer
08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
so didnt need to try

That is absolute and utter bullshit. Justin pulled out of his match before it was even called from the lockerroom because of the herniated disks in his back, he was barely able to get dressed that day. One of the Wimbledon officials asked him to go out and give it a try anyway so he played one game and stopped.

Source?
A herniated disc can be a very serious problem. I am surprised that a Wimbledon official would know this to be the problem and ask a player to risk aggravating it by asking him to play. I am more surprised that Gimelstob would agree.

Fee
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-wimblenotes19jun
19,0,1400795.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis

(the link is dead now)

NOTEBOOK
Gimelstob is a lucky loser
By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
June 19, 2005

WIMBLEDON, England · This year, the tennis gods were kind to Justin Gimelstob of Delray Beach and, in return, Gimelstob had nothing unkind to say about anyone.

He's into his sixth Wimbledon singles as a lucky loser and will try to play Monday against No. 170 Adrian Garcia of Chile.

"Try" because the back injury that led to his retirement five minutes into his final-round qualifying match is still troubling him.

The back was so sore that he wasn't going to play the match, and he had already informed his opponent, George Bastl, that he couldn't play.

But ITF officials convinced him to play one game, then quit. That would at least put him in position for a main draw spot as a lucky loser replacing a player who withdraws from the tournament.

When Gimelstob went on court, he was No. 2 in the lucky loser pecking order, which is decided by the ranking of players who lose in the last round of qualifying.

Andreas Seppi, the tall, slender Italian, was in front of Gimelstob, but was down two sets to none and it looked as though he would claim the lucky loser spot made available by the withdrawal of Andre Agassi.

When Seppi rallied to win his way into the main draw, Gimelstob became first in line and claimed the lucky-loser spot. If he can't play, the spot goes to Jan-Michael Gambill of Spokane, Wash., who also retired from a third-round qualifying match with sore shins.

A year ago, Gimelstob was two ranking spots from getting directly into the tournament, and there were four players everyone knew would pull out with injuries.

But because they didn't withdraw until after qualifying began, their four spots went to lucky losers in qualifying, and Gimelstob was shut out of the singles.

He then called Rafael Nadal, who won the French Open two weeks ago, "an incredibly selfish person." Nadal, with a foot injury, was one of the four players that pulled out in 2004.

Undeterred, Gimelstob went on to win his first Grand Slam title, teaming with Scott Humphries to upset the Bryan brothers in the doubles final. He'll defend this year with Brian MacPhie of San Jose. If he withdraws from the singles, he can still play doubles, if the back improves with a few more days rest.

Copyright © 2005, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The comment about Justin's doubles result is not true, he only made the QF in 2004. When I saw this story back in 2005 I emailed him and asked him if it was true. He confirmed it (and he took all the flak he got for his comment about Nadal the previous year, they have since become somewhat friendly). A month later, Justin came to the Aptos Challenger in Santa Cruz. He had a torn muscle in his chest. On Monday afternoon he flew back to Southern California to have his doctor examine him, then flew back to Aptos to play his match on Tuesday afternoon (it's only a one hour flight), which he lost in about an hour. Yes, he is stupid enough to play injured sometimes.

But I remember that last day of W qualifying back in 2005 because I knew that both Justin and Jan-Michael were in bad shape and I was watching the scoreboard and the withdrawals every second. Seppi was losing and Agassi was the only known withdrawal when Justin went on court in one of the early matches. By the time Seppi had won his match, the other withdrawals had been announced, and Bracciali went on to retire from his match later that afternoon. Somewhere in there, Goldstein lost his match to Jamie Delgado knowing that one of the LL spots was his. Draw your own conclusions.