Simple question? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Simple question?

trellaine
08-25-2007, 03:32 AM
I have been a fan of tennis for many years now and believe it or not I have yet to find out how the tennis draws are determined in tournaments?

I think I understand the seeding sort of but how are the matchups determined and brackets?

I know for amateur tournaments they use software. Do the professionals also use this software or something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Fee
08-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Random draw, with the #1 seed at the top, the #2 seed at the bottom and 3 and 4 randomly draw for the other two spots. The procedure is explained in the ATP Rulebook. Slams fall under ITF rules, so they are allowed to use a computer, but I think only the AO and the USO do that.

MCL
08-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Random draw, with the #1 seed at the top, the #2 seed at the bottom and 3 and 4 randomly draw for the other two spots. The procedure is explained in the ATP Rulebook. Slams fall under ITF rules, so they are allowed to use a computer, but I think only the AO and the USO do that.

Yeah what she said ;)

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/players/ATP_Rulebook2007.pdf

Start reading at section 6.09

trellaine
08-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks!! Quick on the draw. :)

OMG that was some light reading hehe.

So they just use names on sheets of paper lol and then draw names after the seeds are inputted.

Fee
08-25-2007, 04:21 AM
It depends if they do a 'draw ceremony' or not. I've done a couple of Challenger draws, and they use a laptop computer and numbered chips in a bag. The top two seeds are placed, and then the next two seeds are drawn and placed. The rest of the numbers are assigned to players in rank order and placed in the bag. As someone draws the number, the referee plugs the player assigned to that number into the draw.

If it's done at a ceremony, then there is usually some large board or display where the audience can see the players placed into the draw, and perhaps the names are drawn out of a big bowl by dignitaries or audience members.