My US Open Report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

My US Open Report

Leo
08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I went to the qualie week Tuesday - Thursday (yes, I hung around even in the rain on Tuesday hoping to see some players, and I did! - just not playing), and thought I should share some gossip.

The highlight of Wednesday was the Djokovic-Youzhny practice on Armstrong. Novak decided to be a jokester and play to the crowd by trying to hit balls out the stands and running around the court, homerun-style. Misha laughed along but half the time he looked at him like he was crazy and like the whole hitting session was a waste of time. They played an epic bh-cc point to see how long they could go without missing, first with topspin then slice, and I think in the end it was Novak who blew it. The slice shots reminded me of that great point from Fed-Youzhny at the AO this year. They also played a volley rally finally won by Misha with a fist pump. Novak did great impressions of Nadal, Roddick, Sharapova, and Federer. Someone asked in the other thread about what the Fed impression looked like, and ti was actually the best. He hit a forehand and backhand in exactly Fed's style, the way he hits the ball without moving his head, and also did the take-off-the-cap-and-shake-your-hair-out thing that Roger loves. And as they left the court and Misha was signign autographs, Novak did the Youzhny salute signature to each side of the court. I was impressed some fans actually knew it was Youzhny's gesture. I told Mish not to let him get away with that.

Also on Wednesday I watched some qualie matches, my favorites of which were Phau-Bass and Darcis' first round. Phau is super attractice, but also so talented. He should have closed out the match in straights but choked and double faulted on his match points, and then was down 4-2, 40-15 in the 3rd before finally waking up again and hitting winners from everywhere. Bass was pretty much an unimpressive counter-puncher waiting for Phau's mistakes, and at times there were many. I hope Bjorn can qualify here because he is so good when he wants to be.

On Thursday I saw Novak and Roddick play a practice set on Armstrong. Djokovic kicked his ass, breaking his serve twice so I think the set went 6-2 to Novak. Roddick was getting flustered and broke his racquet, starting cursing to Connors/his brother: "the fucking ball keeps flying... what am I supposed to do with that when he hits a fucking winner on the first ball everytime?!" Novak played so well and dictated all the baseline rallies, picking when to go for a winner and usually executing it perfectly. Roddick served huge aces on his first three points but after that his serve was nothing special and Djokovic was reading it easily. Roddick definitely took the practice seriously and was not happy by the end, getting really crabby with the fans too. Novak and Andy were also chatting for a while and were pretty friendly. Roddick must have been dissatisfied because a few hours later he was back practicing on Armstrong against Amer Delic. We also saw Connors around the grounds a couple times and his mood varied between impatient and patient, but luckily I got pictures and an autograph without much of a groan from him. He's still got that cocky and funny attitude.

Then watched Murray beat up on a streaky Henman in a practice set. Murray seems to be hitting the ball much better now. He really let it rip on some serves and forehands (much harder than I thought he could hit the ball) but was tentative on some other shots. I really don't see either one making it too far here. It was also nice to see and get pictures of Brad Gilbert and Paul Annacone on the same court. They seemed to get along well and were pretty chatty, even though their personalities couldn't be any more different. Brad LOVES the spotlight, no surprise, and was eating up the fans' attention but hitting out balls and saying dumb things.

Also saw Youzhny and Kohlschreiber play a practice set on the Grandstand. Misha started off big then kind of fizzled and Philipp stepped it up. I think at 5-5 they played a tiebreak cuz they were getting kicked off the court and Misha hit some nice shots. They will most likely play in the 2nd round here, which is interesting because they are such good friends and doubles partners, and also the Munich final. Earlier in the day I saw Kohl watching a qualie match and I asked for his autograph. He was sweet and smiled and said "Really? Thanks" when I said congrats on winning in Munich, but of course I didn't tell him that I was actually pissed at him for beating my favorite. I hope Misha can get revenge if they have their rematch in new York. My favorite thing in the world is to watch Youzhny move on the court, he changes direction so well with such natural athleticism and flexibility it's amazing. The points the two of them played were full of everything you want to see in a tennis match.

The nicest players I found with signing for fans were Djokovic, Youzhny, and Safin. They took their time to sign for everyone and posed for pictures willingly. Hewitt barely signed for anyone when I saw him leave the practice court and we were pissed. Same thing with Maria Sharapova - she got booed by the fans for not hanging around long to give autographs. Ollie Rochus was also pretty reluctant and took off as quickly as possible. Monfils and Mayer were really nice. I love Richard Gasquet but sometimes you can tell he wants to avoid the fans. He did thank me for wishing him luck though, and signed for most people who wanted it.

And last note - the biggest mob I saw the whole time at the US Open was unsurprisingly for Nadal. No one else attracted nearly as many people AT ALL. People were pushing and shoving and would probably kill just to get his autograph. He signed for everyone who was aggressive enough to get through, ans I wasn't one of them. Since I don't like him, I just settled for taking close-up pictures.

Hopefully I will upload my best pictures here but probably not for a while since I still have all my pics from previous US Opens as well as this year's Miami not online.

Leo
08-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I also watched most of Frank Dancevic's match against Ivan Miranda and he was lucky to get through. He was challenged in most service games. It was definitely not an on day for him, but he stepped it up in the tiebreak and at the end of the 3rd set. The crowd really loved him, probably because of his looks and the fact that he's been on American TV this summer.

adee-gee
08-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the report :yeah:

This Nadal has star quality :cool:

Did you watch Alize Cornet or Pavel Snobel in qualies by any chance?

Mariana_lcf
08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
did u watch richard practice??

muniu
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice report thnx ;)
Misha :rocker2: I want his sign too :sad: Nice that you got it ;) Cheers, have fun in NY :D

muniu
08-24-2007, 04:43 PM
and of course I can't give you good rep :mad:
and pls tell me : Misha is in good shape ?? he have a chance to repeat his SF ? :secret: :wavey:

tennisgal_001
08-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the report. It sounds like you had an awesome time.
A bit of a surprise that Roddick would practice with Djokovic.
Good news about Murray's condition.

my0118
08-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for your report. :yeah:

n3gative
08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
nice info man, enjoyed reading it.

rofe
08-24-2007, 04:48 PM
That was a good report. Thanks.

tangerine_dream
08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the report, Leo.

And last note - the biggest mob I saw the whole time at the US Open was unsurprisingly for Nadal. No one else attracted nearly as many people AT ALL. People were pushing and shoving and would probably kill just to get his autograph. He signed for everyone who was aggressive enough to get through, ans I wasn't one of them. Since I don't like him, I just settled for taking close-up pictures.
Rafa :worship: I knew he'd have the Americans eating out of his hands in no time. I hope he can post a better result this year so that more US fans can see him. :cool:

Lee
08-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the report, Leo! :kiss:

Leo
08-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Nice report thnx ;)
Misha :rocker2: I want his sign too :sad: Nice that you got it ;) Cheers, have fun in NY :D

Actually I got it twice. ;) And a slightly awkward picture of me with him in the background oblivious. Because my friend and I spotted him on Wed. watching a women's qualie match (Rodina) and she took a picture of me with him behind me on the bleachers. Then we asked for his autograph and wished him luck, congrats on making top 10 but didn't want to bother him much. Then I got his autograph again after the Kohlschreiber practice. One day I will be brave enough to ask for a real photo WITH him, lol.

The only reason I think he can go deep again is because his draw could be much worse, but then again he could lose to Phil in the 2nd round to Moya in the 3rd. He does seem pretty relaxed this week and has been smiling/laughing a lot during practice. Hitting his forehand well and moving in behind the serve but maybe struggling with his backhand a bit like he did during the summer TMSes. He wasn't getting as frustrated as he did during Miami practice when I watched him there so that's positive. :) It's early too tell, but he is definitely fit and ready to go. I'm really wishing and praying for a Misha vs. Novak beautiful night-time QF. :drool:

I ddi see Richard practice from a distance on a practice court and then yesterday I watched him hit a little on the Grandstand against Melzer, who played there later against Volandri. I can't tell if Gasquet is in good form or net because I didn't see him play any points out. And I have no idea how Melzer was able to book the Grandstand twice in one day! On Wednesday, I saw Jurgen playing soccer with some guys on Practice Court 1, and then he left without hitting a tennis ball it was hilarious. But I had people around me scream for Melzer when he left the court (even though most people had no clue who he was) so he came and signed for us and I said good job beating Agassi a couple years ago because I really don't know many of his other achievements. And I didn't want to bring up Myskina. :p

And I did see Alize Cornet play. She is beautiful and so talented, wearing the same Lacoste outfits as Golovin. She was beating up on some girl (Scheepers?) who was just no match for her power. We also saw her walking on the grounds and she was so happy to be recognized and to sign for us, and I also got a cute picture. But she had to leave because she was in a hurry. I'm definitely a fan of Alize now.

CooCooCachoo
08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the report :D

Leo
08-24-2007, 05:06 PM
The other thing I'd like to add is that I didn't mean to paint a bad picture of Roddick. I actually like him much more after seeing him live. His serve is so much more impressive in person - like damn. And I didn't really have a problem with him harshly telling the fans to be quiet while players are practicing (Marat had taken the court with Kryvonos) because most of them were being too loud asking for his autograph. His biggest problem vs. Novak during the practice set was drifting too far behind the baseline during the rallies, though. I hope he gives Federer a good go in the quarters.

Another exciting moment was when my friend I just made on the staff gave me a copy of the draw hot off the presses and a player (American wildcard McClune) came up to me and started looking for his name. He plays Chela first round and now I hope he wins just because he said hello and looked at my draw. *swoon*

And I really hope I can go back Monday!

muniu
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Actually I got it twice. ;) And a slightly awkward picture of me with him in the background oblivious. Because my friend and I spotted him on Wed. watching a women's qualie match (Rodina) and she took a picture of me with him behind me on the bleachers. Then we asked for his autograph and wished him luck, congrats on making top 10 but didn't want to bother him much. Then I got his autograph again after the Kohlschreiber practice. One day I will be brave enough to ask for a real photo WITH him, lol.

The only reason I think he can go deep again is because his draw could be much worse, but then again he could lose to Phil in the 2nd round to Moya in the 3rd. He does seem pretty relaxed this week and has been smiling/laughing a lot during practice. Hitting his forehand well and moving in behind the serve but maybe struggling with his backhand a bit like he did during the summer TMSes. He wasn't getting as frustrated as he did during Miami practice when I watched him there so that's positive. :) It's early too tell, but he is definitely fit and ready to go. I'm really wishing and praying for a Misha vs. Novak beautiful night-time QF. :drool:
I ddi see Richard practice from a distance on a practice court and then yesterday I watched him hit a little on the Grandstand against Melzer, who played there later against Volandri. I can't tell if Gasquet is in good form or net because I didn't see him play any points out. And I have no idea how Melzer was able to book the Grandstand twice in one day! On Wednesday, I saw Jurgen playing soccer with some guys on Practice Court 1, and then he left without hitting a tennis ball it was hilarious. But I had people around me scream for Melzer when he left the court (even though most people had no clue who he was) so he came and signed for us and I said good job beating Agassi a couple years ago because I really don't know many of his other achievements. And I didn't want to bring up Myskina. :p

And I did see Alize Cornet play. She is beautiful and so talented, wearing the same Lacoste outfits as Golovin. She was beating up on some girl (Scheepers?) who was just no match for her power. We also saw her walking on the grounds and she was so happy to be recognized and to sign for us, and I also got a cute picture. But she had to leave because she was in a hurry. I'm definitely a fan of Alize now.

:drool:

thnx again ;)

yana
08-24-2007, 05:18 PM
And last note - the biggest mob I saw the whole time at the US Open was unsurprisingly for Nadal. No one else attracted nearly as many people AT ALL. People were pushing and shoving and would probably kill just to get his autograph. He signed for everyone who was aggressive enough to get through, ans I wasn't one of them.

Our Rafa is a star alright. ;)

Thanks for the report.

Action Jackson
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the good reports Leo and you should the King Hernandez train and be enchanted by the skill on show.

l_mac
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Since I don't like him, I just settled for taking close-up pictures.

Ooh, if you post the pics I pay you money!

Not really.

Thanks for the great report :) Can't wait till Djoko begins his real career as a cruise ship entertainer.

adee-gee
08-24-2007, 05:49 PM
:lol: :yeah:

She's awesome, I don't know one person that hasn't watched her/met her and not fallen in love with her.

Thanks again for the reports :hatoff:

Or Levy
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I am really surprised Roddick practiced against Nole... I mean, in the off case he'll beat Roger (doubt that), and lose against Nole (who probably got loads of confidence after that practice)... I think he'll hang himself, honestly.

But yea, we have a new number three. Roddick ain't it.

I'm the person who asked about how he did Roger, it sounds fantastic - I hope a clip would come up and soon, we haven't seen his Roger yet.

cobalt60
08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the report. Go Misha and Novak;)

*Ljubica*
08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the great reports. Really enjoyed reading them.

NicoFan
08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the report :yeah:

This Nadal has star quality :cool:

Thanks for the report!

Yes, Rafa does have star quality. :yeah:

Too bad he's always burned out by the time he gets to the US. :sad: Plus you can tell he hates hardcourts...reminds me of Borg.

I would love to see him save some of his energy next year for the US Open. I know that he wants to win Wimbledon. But after RG and Wimbledon, he has nothing left for the US Open. :shrug:

rmb6687
08-24-2007, 08:38 PM
The other thing I'd like to add is that I didn't mean to paint a bad picture of Roddick. I actually like him much more after seeing him live. His serve is so much more impressive in person - like damn. And I didn't really have a problem with him harshly telling the fans to be quiet while players are practicing (Marat had taken the court with Kryvonos) because most of them were being too loud asking for his autograph. His biggest problem vs. Novak during the practice set was drifting too far behind the baseline during the rallies, though. I hope he gives Federer a good go in the quarters.
Another exciting moment was when my friend I just made on the staff gave me a copy of the draw hot off the presses and a player (American wildcard McClune) came up to me and started looking for his name. He plays Chela first round and now I hope he wins just because he said hello and looked at my draw. *swoon*

And I really hope I can go back Monday!

he won't be beating anyone ranked above 30 if he is STILL playing like that. STOP IT, PLEASE.

williaer
08-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the great report Leo :) Much appreciated

safinaferrero
08-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the report :)

Heather1229
08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I am really surprised Roddick practiced against Nole

apparently andy and novak practice quite a lot together and get along very well with one another.

MCL
08-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Leo - Thank you for the report.

Sjengster
08-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Quality stuff. I'm looking forward to going to a big tournament eventually, but my best bet is waiting for the Masters Cup in London at the end of 2009.

GlennMirnyi
08-25-2007, 04:59 AM
The USO crowd is the least intelligent when it comes to tennis. No surprise they were fangirling Nadal.

Johnny Groove
08-25-2007, 05:04 AM
The USO crowd is the least intelligent when it comes to tennis. No surprise they were fangirling Nadal.

Never do miss an opportunity to put fangirl and Nadal in the same sentence, do you :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
08-25-2007, 05:48 AM
apparently andy and novak practice quite a lot together and get along very well with one another.
Untrue. Absolutely nobody likes either Roddick or Djokovic.

Leo
08-25-2007, 05:55 AM
My friend told me today that I missed Youzhny/Ferrero practice on Armstrong, so I'm saddened! And apparently Federer practiced Armstrong today to - his first time away from Ashe and in front of the fans.

shaggy
08-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Leo, do you maybe now which half of the draw will play on monday?

l_mac
08-25-2007, 11:25 AM

:lol: You must be dreading Nadal's inevitable burnout. You'll have to develop a whole new routine.

Leo
08-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Leo, do you maybe now which half of the draw will play on monday?

Sorry, no idea. But I'm waiting with anticipation.

Winston's Human
08-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I bet it will be the top half since that would likely result in Federer, Roddick and Blake playing on Saturday and Monday when CBS has its television coverage.

shaggy
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
and you were right. my friend has just confirmed me that top half will play on monday.

Winston's Human
08-26-2007, 03:34 AM
The general rule with the US Open is that CBS calls the shots.

tangerine_dream
08-26-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm surprised that Roddick would practice with Djokovic.
I'm not. Andy likes and respects Novak. Unlike Roger. :p

Andy was also caught practicing with Ivan Ljubicic again. He must stop that business at once. :mad:

Magus13
08-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Nice post Leo. I didn't get there to late, like 4:00 pm. On Armstrong was Fed and Henman for two hours. They had the biggest crowd that i had seen from when I was there Wednesday. At the end Henman signed autographs and Fed sat there and gave Henman his time with the fans. Then Fed signed autographs on both sides after Henman left to a nice applause as did Fed.

EternalxJourney
08-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Nice post Leo. I didn't get there to late, like 4:00 pm. On Armstrong was Fed and Henman for two hours. They had the biggest crowd that i had seen from when I was there Wednesday. At the end Henman signed autographs and Fed sat there and gave Henman his time with the fans. Then Fed signed autographs on both sides after Henman left to a nice applause as did Fed.

is that what happened on wednesday? because that's exactly what happened on friday when i was there.

Magus13
08-27-2007, 12:13 AM
is that what happened on wednesday? because that's exactly what happened on friday when i was there.

I was comparing Friday to when I was there Weds. Sorry if my post was unclear.

R.Federer
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm not. Andy likes and respects Novak. Unlike Roger. :p

Andy was also caught practicing with Ivan Ljubicic again. He must stop that business at once. :mad:

Yeah, Andy practices only with those he likes and respects. Like Ivan :haha: