Old-style court layout - Newport, US Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Old-style court layout - Newport, US Open

scoobs
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone who has seen coverage from Newport will have noticed that they dress the court in an unusual fashion - on the grass they paint the usual singles and doubles court lines, but beyond the doubles alley on either side, it looks like they paint a whole extra singles court-sized area, so it looks like three courts side by side, sharing doubles alleys.

I noticed this and didn't think much of it, but then today I saw a clip from the 74 US Open final where Connors defeated Rosewall and they used to do the same thing there too when the Open was played on grass.

Does anyone know why they did this and still do at Newport, or can anyone direct me to some further reading on the subject? I've done a quick nosy around but I couldn't see anthing relevant.

It's piqued my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

CmonAussie
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Anyone who has seen coverage from Newport will have noticed that they dress the court in an unusual fashion - on the grass they paint the usual singles and doubles court lines, but beyond the doubles alley on either side, it looks like they paint a whole extra singles court-sized area, so it looks like three courts side by side, sharing doubles alleys.

I noticed this and didn't think much of it, but then today I saw a clip from the 74 US Open final where Connors defeated Rosewall and they used to do the same thing there too when the Open was played on grass.

Does anyone know why they did this and still do at Newport, or can anyone direct me to some further reading on the subject? I've done a quick nosy around but I couldn't see anthing relevant.

It's piqued my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

They used to do the same thing fot the AO up to the mid-1980s @ the old gass courts [Kooyong];)

scoobs
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I figured they would have done.

I'm just wondering why...

CmonAussie
08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
I figured they would have done.

I'm just wondering why...

Not sure of the answer but I`ll guess..
~~the size & shape of the stadiums [@ Newport, Forest Hills & Kooyong] meant that multiple courts could fit into Centre Court;)
When players were practicing presumably all the top players wanted to practice on Centre court, but since it`s impossible to play at night [on grass courts as they become slippery] the court time alloted for even the biggest drawcards [Connors, McEnroe, Newcombe etc. at the time] would have been minimial.. By creating 3-courts on Centre court they were able to squeeze more top players on during practice sessions;)

Grinder
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
It's so the center court doesn't get worn out in the early rounds.

scoobs
08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
So they play some of the early round matches on the bits off to the side?

Okay...

Grinder
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Uhh no.

They have three courts side by side and they put the nets up on the two side center courts and play matches there. They always mention it when the Newport tourney is televised.

scoobs
08-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Never seen any of the early rounds, we don't get coverage.

I've never seen that before - I'd find it quite distracting having three matches going on in such a small space, like at the local park :)

Grinder
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Never seen any of the early rounds, we don't get coverage.

I've never seen that before - I'd find it quite distracting having three matches going on in such a small space, like at the local park :)

Not the early rounds, per se, but the quarterfinals and some other big matchups I believe, are played on the two side center courts. I don't think they play on the middle center court until the semi-finals.

scoobs
08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Not the early rounds, per se, but the quarterfinals and some other big matchups I believe, are played on the two side center courts. I don't think they play on the middle center court until the semi-finals.
*nods*

I get it now.

Seems like an interesting way of doing things.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Leo
08-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Doesn't that mean the fans are really really far from the action when the players use the center court? At least on the sides, no? Because the side courts would push back the seats. I haven't watched Newport in years so I forget aboutt his unusual court lining.

NicoFan
08-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm just guessing, but I think it's because in the "old" days, they played these tournaments at places which were primarily country clubs. So there were no stadiums as we think of them today. Newport is a club, and Forest Hills is a club.

Although having been to Forest Hills, they do have a main stadium. It's very small compared to stadiums of today, but still they have it. It's hardcourts now but used to be clay so probably when the tournament was played on grass that they used the area of the club that has the grass courts.

Again quessing...don't know the answer because while I am older, I'm not that old. ;) :lol: