JBlock: is it really about Blake? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

JBlock: is it really about Blake?

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Or is it more about a few nuts trying to get on a national TV and get free tickets to the Open?

They are A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G.

mangoes
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I believe they purchase the space at the US Open to have the right to annoy the rest of us attending the Open. I just dread them.

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I believe they purchase the space at the US Open to have the right to annoy the rest of us attending the Open. I just dread them.

damn :mad: ... glad I usually stay away from AA and LA stadiums

Mr. Magassi
08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
the americans have to root for someone ;)

RogiRafaFan86
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
the americans have to root for someone ;)

That is not "rooting".

BlakeJamitis
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
No, it's about them. I hope James isn't buying that space for them. I have issues with James n e way but I won't go into those for the upteenth time. For him to be mixed, his block sure isn't.

Lee
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I like James but the JBlock is really annoying. Even worse than Sharapova's grunt. :tape:

MCL
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Aren't some of the J-Block members his friends though? I was under the impression that he knew most of the crew.

jcempire
08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I like James but the JBlock is really annoying. Even worse than Sharapova's grunt. :tape:

LOL, JBLOCK, I LIKE IT HERE. TOO MUCH FUN TO WATCH, JUST NOT THAT GOOD FOR HIS OPP.

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
well then apples are really close to the tree...

jcempire
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
No, it's about them. I hope James isn't buying that space for them. I have issues with James n e way but I won't go into those for the upteenth time. For him to be mixed, his block sure isn't.

What did you mean? Did you say, they have no money to pay the space. LOL!!!

Adler
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Fed showing them the tongue last year... that was priceless

loret
08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Here we go again the J-Block tools. James should be ashamed of himself...

mangoes
08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
What did you mean? Did you say, they have no money to pay the space. LOL!!!

Read what he wrote 2 more times.........and then answer your questions;) ;)

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
well jblock did it again.

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Fed showing them the tongue last year... that was priceless

Indeed! Hope he'll get the opportunity to do it AGAIN, soon. :devil:

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Using the fans to beat an opponent is an effective strategy in every sport.

In basketball the fans are called the 6th man.

Some tennis fans need to toughen up and man up.

Clara Bow
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I like Blake- but some of his friends seem like obnoxious douchebags. For some reason Baggy's fans don't bug me as much. They seem excitable yes- but not as obnoxious frat boy-esque. Kinda like it can be more about the drinking that the cheering for the J-Block. And as someone who has been to the bleachers at Wrigley Field plenty of times- I have what I consider to be a high tolerance for fan behavior. :lol:

Greenday
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
These guys really annoyed me in the last year's QF.....especially during tht third set tie-break...

Lee
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I like Blake- but some of his friends seem like obnoxious douchebags. For some reason Baggy's fans don't bug me as much. They seem excitable yes- but not as obnoxious frat boy-esque. Kinda like it can be more about the drinking that the cheering for the J-Block. And as someone who has been to the bleachers at Wrigley Field plenty of times- I have what I consider to be a high tolerance for fan behavior. :lol:

I think the difference is Baggy's fans are there to cheer for Baggy while the JBlock is more to annoy James opponent's on top of cheering for James.

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I think the difference is Baggy's fans are there to cheer for Baggy while the JBlock is more to annoy James opponent's on top of cheering for James.

EXACTLY :worship:

Metis
08-23-2007, 09:11 PM

:yeah: In addition, Marcos' fans come up with some funny chants, though most people can't understand them :lol:.

Action Jackson
08-23-2007, 09:15 PM
:yeah: In addition, Marcos' fans come up with some funny chants, though most people can't understand them :lol:.

They are just normal guys who give a bit of life to the AO and as for the chants, they are a bit cheeky.

jcempire
08-23-2007, 09:24 PM
but, you saw how much crowd support on Roger, becasue He's No 1.

That's always unfair, He alway play with confidence, tons of crowd make noise when he hitted the winner.

cobalt60
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Are you all referring to something that happened today or at this tournament? If so want to clue me in? If this is old news from last year than no thanks:p

Lee
08-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Are you all referring to something that happened today or at this tournament? If so want to clue me in? If this is old news from last year than no thanks:p

For me, it's more of today's match but also the history of JBlock.

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 09:34 PM

Spot on. :mad: J-Block: :ras: :ras: :ras:

Or Levy
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Indeed! Hope he'll get the opportunity to do it AGAIN, soon. :devil:

I am unfamiliar with that story. Did Roger stuck his tongue out to the J-Block? Roger? That can't be right! :D :D :eek: :eek:

amierin
08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
They were swearing at Roger in a non English language last year during that quarterfinal. They are obnoxious and should be banned. Marcos fans, all the fans of the other players who chant and cheer are cheering FOR their guy not to incite and anger the other guy. Big difference.

And I don't think any of them are his "friends". He said, in response to someone, that he would sic the J-Block on them. That should tell you what it's about.

Or Levy
08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
LOL, and he stuck his tongue out? Oh, priceless, priceless, tell me someone got a clip!

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL, and he stuck his tongue out? Oh, priceless, priceless, tell me someone got a clip!

Well, I don't have a clip, but there surely is a pic of *that* incident burried somewhere on my HD collection of Roger piccies... give me some time and I'll PM it to you. :D

dylan24
08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
j block are a bunch of assholes and bitches.
they should be banned from all tennis tournaments and put in jail for life

liptea
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
they can be really mean too. didn't they once yell a number of cruel things involving the word 'faggot' while richard gasquet was playing?

i hate them. its a poor reflection on james.

Castafiore
08-23-2007, 10:21 PM
they can be really mean too. didn't they once yell a number of cruel things involving the word 'faggot' while richard gasquet was playing?
No idea if they did that to Richard but IIRC, they did do that to Feliciano Lopez *cue lame F-Lo jokes*

cobalt60
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok so the J block are jerks- has James ever discussed it? Does he supply them tickets? Cuz if so that action tells all. If not and he does not condone it, then the tournament is responsible to do something about it. As far as I am concerned that is.

The Freak
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
J-Block :rocker2:

dylan24
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
j block is slightly better than michael vick and his cronies.

dylan24
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=getty-76051325eg006_pilot_pen_ten&prov=getty

like i said
a bunch of assholes

Clara Bow
08-23-2007, 10:33 PM
No idea if they did that to Richard but IIRC, they did do that to Feliciano Lopez *cue lame F-Lo jokes*

I recall hearing that those jerks were also at the Ginepri/Gasquet match a couple of years ago and did indeed call Richard a faggot. Someone who was near that lovely group said that Fish was with them (he was injured at the time) and was participating in that stuff.

And sorry Sue- while I agree with you in part- I can't all the way. Marcos has at least talked to his supporters and told them them tennis ettiquitte. I would be disappointed if James did not - even if he was not egging them on. Even though I think he is a good guy- I also think it would be good to ask his friends not to be assholes. Maybe that is just me- but if I were a player- I would not be too keen on my chums acting like jerks to my oppponents all the time and hurling slurs.

Sorry- they just act like the folks in college that I tried to avoid who thought that boorishness = funny.

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Took me some time to dig up the pic, but here it is:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/CG_Brouwer/RogerFederer/Blake28.jpg

From Roger's match against Blake, USO 2006. :angel:
Roger did stick out his tongue, but I have to admit that I can't remember if he actually did so at the JBlock. For some reason that just doesn't feel like him. But anyways - I think it's an appropriate reaction. ;)

cobalt60
08-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I recall hearing that those jerks were also at the Ginepri/Gasquet match a couple of years ago and did indeed call Richard a faggot. Someone who was near that lovely group said that Fish was with them (he was injured at the time) and was participating in that stuff.

And sorry Sue- I can't agree with you. Marcos has at least talked to his supporters and told them them tennis ettiquitte. I would be disappointed if James did not. Even though I think he is a good guy- I also think it would be good to ask his friends not to be assholes. Maybe that is just me- but if I were a player- I would not be too keen on my chums acting like jerks to my oppponents all the time and hurling slurs.

Oh don't apologise;) That's why I asked if James actually knew them? Which no one seems to have an answer to. And James is as much a frat boy as the players he hangs with;) so although one would hope he'd talk to these blockers I wonder about that.

Castafiore
08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Someone who was near that lovely group said that Fish was with them (he was injured at the time) and was participating in that stuff.
Really? Charming! :rolleyes:

mangoes
08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh don't apologise;) That's why I asked if James actually knew them? Which no one seems to have an answer to. And James is as much a frat boy as the players he hangs with;) so although one would hope he'd talk to these blockers I wonder about that.

Yes, he does know them. They're his friends. I do remember him saying such in an interview some time ago.

In fact, Nike made special shirts for them if I am recalling correctly.

tangerine_dream
08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that pic, Clay. It's clear to me that Roger wasn't sticking his tongue out like this :nerner: at anyone, which is what was implied before. It looks more like a sigh of relief.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=getty-76051325eg006_pilot_pen_ten&prov=getty
like i said
a bunch of assholes

Oh, is that all? :lol: I thought they were going to be a bunch of real classy jerks like these guys:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/roddickwatch/personal/frenchcrowd.jpg

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, he does know them. They're his friends. I do remember him saying such in an interview some time ago.

In fact, Nike made special shirts for them if I am recalling correctly.

Jeebus. Really?

An old saying comes to mind right now: "With friends like that, one doesn't need any enemies..." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for that pic, Clay. It's clear to me that Roger wasn't sticking his tongue out like this :nerner: at anyone, which is what was implied before. It looks more like a sigh of relief.

That's what I thought as well. It's just not like Roger to do anything like that. But having read all the posts around here, I guess I'd be able to forgive him if he actually had. ;)

Lee
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok so the J block are jerks- has James ever discussed it? Does he supply them tickets? Cuz if so that action tells all. If not and he does not condone it, then the tournament is responsible to do something about it. As far as I am concerned that is.

Sue, James does know those people. Today before the match when Pam interviewed him and ask him (I can't repeat in exactly wording) "Can you curb the JBlock?" James answered "During the day but not the night match."

I do need to get back to my DVR to double check if I get it right though. ;)

martinatreue
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Those people are classless jerks. If James calls them his friends then what does that say about him?

Or Levy
08-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Took me some time to dig up the pic, but here it is:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/CG_Brouwer/RogerFederer/Blake28.jpg

From Roger's match against Blake, USO 2006. :angel:
Roger did stick out his tongue, but I have to admit that I can't remember if he actually did so at the JBlock. For some reason that just doesn't feel like him. But anyways - I think it's an appropriate reaction. ;)

Ah, great photo, but this is *relief* tongue, and not a "na-na-na" tongue, I'm not surprised, I can't see him doing anything like that in a million years.

Thrasher
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
What a bunch of clowns these idiots are. They probably wouldn't hesitate at the opportunity to suck James cock. I tell you this much though, If I was sitting beside them and had to listen to their garbage I would rip right into them and if they wanted to take it further I would be happy to oblige.

Sunset of Age
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Ah, great photo, but this is *relief* tongue, and not a "na-na-na" tongue, I'm not surprised, I can't see him doing anything like that in a million years.

No, I fully agree - It's just NOT like Roger in any way.
But for some reason I quite like the idea of him actually sticking his tongue out to the J-Block. Just shows what a classy guy he is - he wouldn't even THINK of that. But that J-Block would truly DESERVE it, if only 10% of the reports in this thread are correct. :worship:

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Sue, James does know those people. Today before the match when Pam interviewed him and ask him (I can't repeat in exactly wording) "Can you curb the JBlock?" James answered "During the day but not the night match."

just imagine what we have to endure tonight... :rolleyes:

and that's why Blake's opponents upset with Blake. If he by his own words CAN do something and doesn't, it's really a question of bad sportsmanship on his part.

ReturnWinner
08-23-2007, 11:41 PM
lol I tought they were a bunch of Brazilian and Argentine violent football fans

gusman890
08-23-2007, 11:52 PM
my mom is an usher at new haven.

She says they are all drunk and think they run the place.

Funny, the crowd loved Donald's match last night, and havnent cheered that postivitly since the J block takes up all the shouting during the Blake matches, and they piss off the other player so much. Such low class.

Rosa Luxembourg
08-23-2007, 11:54 PM
one other thing. one of these idiots was interviewed by Pam Shriver and he was really trashtalking to her. Disgusting.

Burrow
08-23-2007, 11:57 PM
What thwe hell is jblock?

Bremen
08-23-2007, 11:58 PM
What thwe hell is jblock?

They're not really human...does anyone remember that crazy blonde guy from last year's open??? That was scary...

edit, here's a pic:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/157/jblock4mc.jpg

Marek.
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
They're not really human...does anyone remember that crazy blonde guy from last year's open??? That was scary...

edit, here's a pic:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/157/jblock4mc.jpg

Do you mean the guy on the far right? He was hilarious!:rolls:

Henry Chinaski
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
He looks like some washed-up psycho old fucker from the WWE, brain fried by steroids.

scoobs
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't know what James Blake things of their behaviour and treatment of other players by the J Block but the fact that he always talks about the great support he gets in New York from the fans, and especially the J Block, suggests he at least condones what they do even if he doesn't agree with it - ends justifying the means.

Bremen
08-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Do you mean the guy on the far right? He was hilarious!:rolls:

He looks like some kind of monster...

He looks like some washed-up psycho old fucker from the WWE, brain fried by steroids.

:worship:

cobalt60
08-24-2007, 02:15 AM

Thanks. I don't get out much or watch tv much these days :lol::p

Tommy_Vercetti
08-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Can you imagine if every player had a bunch of his friends show up and act like jack asses at the matches they played?

Then again, Blake is such a classy player and nice guy that he doesn't have to live by anyone else's standards.

Ays25
08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
surprising thing about j-block is that they are all white.
i was thinking about some rasta hair guys.

Action Jackson
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Oh, is that all? :lol: I thought they were going to be a bunch of real classy jerks like these guys:

What a surprise the apologist of all apologists had to include a pic of a French crowd, trying to get more votes in the ACC, give it time you have a couple of months before you need to peak :)

bokehlicious
08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
What a surprise the apologist of all apologists had to include a pic of a French crowd, trying to get more votes in the ACC, give it time you have a couple of months before you need to peak :)

Tangy's too dumb and not funny enough to make it far at the ACC anyway... :shrug: :o

DhammaTiger
08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
surprising thing about j-block is that they are all white.
i was thinking about some rasta hair guys.

F.Y.I rasta hair guys are very mellow because of what they smoke. Go and see what the yobs and hooligans at football matches in Europe look like before you make your assumptions. The counterparts for the hooligans in the U.S. as Clara Bow pointed out are the frat boys., the most despicable aspect of American university culture, at least when I was there thirty years ago.

cobalt60
08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
its ok grandma.

:p I am never gonna live that down am I? :rolls:

jmp
08-24-2007, 02:14 PM
During the afternoon ESPN2 airing on Aug 23rd Chris Fowler brought up the J-Block. He voiced his opinion that the J-Block cheering James' opponent's faults and taunting his opponent was "not cool". The silence from the other commentators, Pam, Patrick, and Mary Joe, was deafening. I inferred that players feel that it's perfectly alright for fans to conduct themselves that way if it helps them win. I'm mildly surprised and disappointed. I scream and yell at the opponent going for a free throw at basketball or the extra point kick in American football. But, I wouldn't do that at a tennis match. I think James should, at the very least, ask them to reign in the disrespect to his opponents.

case
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
During the afternoon ESPN2 airing on Aug 23rd Chris Fowler brought up the J-Block. He voiced his opinion that the J-Block cheering James' opponent's faults and taunting his opponent was "not cool". The silence from the other commentators, Pam, Patrick, and Mary Joe, was deafening. I inferred that players feel that it's perfectly alright for fans to conduct themselves that way if it helps them win. I'm mildly surprised and disappointed. I scream and yell at the opponent going for a free throw at basketball or the extra point kick in American football. But, I wouldn't do that at a tennis match. I think James should, at the very least, ask them to reign in the disrespect to his opponents.

agreed. i've done my yelling in other sports arenas but not tennis. i also would never dream about yelling a personal insult a player. you can insult their playing but not in any way their sex life (which we actually know nothing about), which is way out of bounds.
I don't think professional athletes are paid to be ridiculed personally. They are paid for playing sports.

Clara Bow
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
During the afternoon ESPN2 airing on Aug 23rd Chris Fowler brought up the J-Block. He voiced his opinion that the J-Block cheering James' opponent's faults and taunting his opponent was "not cool

Yea Fowler! I really like Fowler as a commentator regardless (for tennis and other sports like college football) but this further solidifies it. Fowler and Cahill are my current favorite tennis announcing pair.

MusicMyst
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Between the J-Block and Blake's self-serving conduct in Las Vegas, I'm at a loss as to why some people (and journalists) persist in thinking that Blake is somehow "classier" than other players -- unless his skin color is giving him a pass.

MCL
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Yea Fowler! I really like Fowler as a commentator regardless (for tennis and other sports like college football) but this further solidifies it. Fowler and Cahill are my current favorite tennis announcing pair.

I agree. Fowler is a straight shooter, so to speak, and I respect that. However, I like the foil effect of Fowler/PMac. Cahill is always good for talk about what's happening on the court when PMac and Cliffy go into their golfing game etc.

Experimentee
08-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Why are people so worried about partisan fans? Its happens at every tournament and its nothing new. I have been to the AO every year and seen other players apart from Blake who have a huge crowd of annoying fans. Dont know why its only a problem when Blake has them!

Svetlana.
08-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Can you imagine if every player had a bunch of his friends show up and act like jack asses at the matches they played?

Then again, Blake is such a classy player and nice guy that he doesn't have to live by anyone else's standards.

"...Blake is such a classy player..." :rolleyes:
If you are talking about James we all knew 2-3 years ago then I agree with you. But, if you think Blake is such a classy player nowadays then you are wrong. Do you remember what he did to Korolev in the beginning of this year?

Plus, a classy player would never support a group of jerks that harasses an opponent. :worship:

Pea
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
The only thing worst is blake himself in some way encouraging their behavior in interviews about the jblock. Smug.

georgiana
08-24-2007, 04:40 PM
An interesting article about James' relation with the J-block:
http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_6703974

tangerine_dream
08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I loved it when the J-Block started chanting "Har-vard! Har-vard!" when James got the chair's decision overturned when he won the Hawkeye challenge in the third set. :lol:

I love it when I get under your skin, Georgie. :kiss:

Svetlana.
08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
An interesting article about James' relation with the J-block:
http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_6703974

"I'm sure it does (rattle some players)," Blake said. "Fans are going to have a hometown favorite. For me, I enjoy it. It makes it more like a team sport, and here, I feel a little like the home team. I have the advantage here."

Only a wimp or a real looser would want to harass the opponent in order to win a match. If Blake needs jerks to help him win at home, then something is really wrong with him or with his game.

tennisgal_001
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Blake talks a good deal about the J-Block in his book. While I find his reaction to their behavior the exact opposite of 'classy', especially after so many players have already voiced out their frustration, I can understand Blake's passiveness toward them. The J-Block is mostly comprised of his close friends and associates who, according to him, have supported him through his traumas in 2004 and helped him rebound and get back on his feet. Providing them with tickets, t-shirts, and good seats is one way of paying them back, in his point of view that is.

martinatreue
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Between the J-Block and Blake's self-serving conduct in Las Vegas, I'm at a loss as to why some people (and journalists) persist in thinking that Blake is somehow "classier" than other players -- unless his skin color is giving him a pass.

you hit the nail on the head. not to mention how we are constantly told that he is "classy". :rolleyes:

scoobs
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Blake talks a good deal about the J-Block in his book. While I find his reaction to their behavior the exact opposite of 'classy', especially after so many players have already voiced out their frustration, I can understand Blake's passiveness toward them. The J-Block is mostly comprised of his close friends and associates who, according to him, have supported him through his traumas in 2004 and helped him rebound and get back on his feet. Providing them with tickets, t-shirts, and good seats is one way of paying them back, in his point of view that is.
And if they verbally abuse his opponents and generally cheer against his opponents rather than just cheering for Blake, so much the better.

I don't think the fact they helped him through some tough times gives them a license to act like assholes at his matches and for Blake to turn a blind eye when they go too far.

Seems like Blake's the one with more of the Connors about him than Roddick - any way you can get an edge...

Action Jackson
08-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I loved it when the J-Block started chanting "Har-vard! Har-vard!" when James got the chair's decision overturned when he won the Hawkeye challenge in the third set. :lol:

I love it when I get under your skin, Georgie. :kiss:

You haven't got under my skin toots, just telling you need to time your run better for peak performance at the contest of all contests.

I mean you don't want to have the typical Ljubo like Slam performance, do you?

tennisgal_001
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
And if they verbally abuse his opponents and generally cheer against his opponents rather than just cheering for Blake, so much the better.

I don't think the fact they helped him through some tough times gives them a license to act like assholes at his matches and for Blake to turn a blind eye when they go too far.

Seems like Blake's the one with more of the Connors about him than Roddick - any way you can get an edge...

Blake's attitude is inexcusable expecially that this trend has been going on for 3 years running now. It's always nice to have the support of your family and friends around you, but when things get too far and support turns into aggression, you must do your best to put an end to it, something Blake has clearly failed to do, whether out of selfishness, special interests, or even goodwill. I doubt he'd ever dismiss his pals' actions in public to the media, but the "private" one-on-one chats (if they exist), clearly aren't working. I guess it's become one of those "unpleasant" traditions about the USO series that the fans and players will have to live with...

I don't agree with your last statement though. Roddick and Connors are/were jerks all year round, Blake only falls under that category for 3 weeks a year.

MusicMyst
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Connors is definitely WYSIWYG -- he's a pompous, self-centered jerk, but he's never pretended otherwise. What I find most galling about Blake is his duplicity -- he acts like he's morally superior (and smarter) than the other players, when really, he's no better than the rest of them, looking for any edge to win and more than eager to create an edge when the opportunity presents itself.

my0118
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Connors is definitely WYSIWYG -- he's a pompous, self-centered jerk, but he's never pretended otherwise. What I find most galling about Blake is his duplicity -- he acts like he's morally superior (and smarter) than the other players, when really, he's no better than the rest of them, looking for any edge to win and more than eager to create an edge when the opportunity presents itself.

Yes, that's why I dislike him.
But I find it's better than Roddick's cocky and impudent attitude.

Whistleway
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Ahh, so they are paid-for hooligans..

That explains it.

DhammaTiger
08-24-2007, 07:11 PM

:yeah:

cobalt60
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
"Love 'em or hate 'em, when you're sitting right in the middle of them, it's a heck of a party. They cheer — but only between points. They're loud, but never during play. And they're clean. Nothing negative. Nothing dirty."

A quote from the above article.

martinatreue
08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I can't stand Connors, Roddick or Blake.

Fee
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
"Love 'em or hate 'em, when you're sitting right in the middle of them, it's a heck of a party. They cheer — but only between points. They're loud, but never during play. And they're clean. Nothing negative. Nothing dirty."

A quote from the above article.

Yeah, I saw that. I have my doubts about that sentence, I really do. They didn't get a warning from the chair umpire during the LA final because they were loud and happy. I wonder if there was an MTF person at that particular match?

cobalt60
08-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I have my doubts about that sentence, I really do. They didn't get a warning from the chair umpire during the LA final because they were loud and happy. I wonder if there was an MTF person at that particular match?

It would be nice to read a first hand account that wasn't biased one way or the other :shrug: Whatever. When JB is on, I still enjoy watching him play;)

mangoes
08-25-2007, 12:15 AM
It would be nice to read a first hand account that wasn't biased one way or the other :shrug: Whatever. When JB is on, I still enjoy watching him play;)

I have sat through 3 matches in which the JBlock was in action, and it was not a pleasant experience. In fact, during one match, when they got rather loud, people started looking up at them with annoyance. It was as if they were "showing off". And, the JBlock did heckle James' opponents while the opponents served. The only match I've seen them toned down was during James match with Agassi at USO.

cobalt60
08-25-2007, 12:25 AM
I have sat through 3 matches in which the JBlock was in action, and it was not a pleasant experience. In fact, during one match, when they got rather loud, people started looking up at them with annoyance. It was as if they were "showing off". And, the JBlock did heckle James' opponents while the opponents served. The only match I've seen them toned down was during James match with Agassi at USO.

Merci :D Now you are not biased are you;)

mangoes
08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Merci :D Now you are not biased are you;)

Well, I was just as annoyed at 2 other matches in which his opponent wasn't Roger:lol: :lol: :lol:

But, seriously, it was very annoying. Their goal seemed to be to annoy Blakes' opponents as if in a basketball game. Just as they got to Calleri the other day in New Haven.

*Viva Chile*
08-25-2007, 01:53 AM
I find the JBlock a really annoying support group :rolleyes:

Grinder
08-25-2007, 01:57 AM
"I'm sure it does (rattle some players)," Blake said. "Fans are going to have a hometown favorite. For me, I enjoy it. It makes it more like a team sport, and here, I feel a little like the home team. I have the advantage here."

Only a wimp or a real looser would want to harass the opponent in order to win a match. If Blake needs jerks to help him win at home, then something is really wrong with him or with his game.

Davydenko fans have no room to criticize any player. :lol:

Mechlan
08-25-2007, 02:29 AM
The only match I've seen them toned down was during James match with Agassi at USO.

I wonder why that was... ;)

Rosa Luxembourg
08-25-2007, 04:10 AM

:worship:

Roddickominator
08-25-2007, 04:17 AM
There's no better way to shut up an opposing crowd than to blow who they're rooting for out of the water. If some of these guys are pansies like golfers, and can't handle a little noise, then they deserve to lose.

Bad Religion
08-25-2007, 05:30 AM
They are as stupid as Blake

I`m sick of them and Donkey James . Lame fan group

The Freak
08-25-2007, 05:37 AM
If the J-Block is really a distraction to the players, they should consider retiring.

TMJordan
08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I hate the JBlock.

sykotique
08-25-2007, 06:20 AM
If the J-Block is really a distraction to the players, they should consider retiring.

If James needs the J-Block to distract his opponents in order to win, then he should consider retiring as well.

If the J-Block is disrupting opponents and/or being offensive, all James need do is have a talk with them and let them understand that support must be positive support only and only between points. Otherwise, by condoning their behaviour, he hurts his own image.

Ome
08-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I enjoyed the comedy during today's match :yeah:

Bremen
08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I enjoyed the comedy during today's match :yeah:

Comedy?

Rosa Luxembourg
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
How nice, the classic ad hominem fallacy.

He mentioned that last year at the USO, and from various on-court interviews it's quite clear that he more than condones their behavior - he enjoys/encourages it.

And the writer of that article who stated that the J-Block is always quiet between points is either being disingenuous or hasn't watched enough matches - I've heard them make noise during/between serves, and in particular I remember a Blake-Moya match last year when a woman in the J-Block kept squealing purposely whenever Moya hit the ball - this was when Moya was down either a match point or a break point late in the last set.

last year at the open they yelled out during Moya's serve motion. It was :eek: . I just couldn't believe it.

star
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
J-Block is :rolleyes:

They make the "fanatics" look like choir boys.

I have to say the Croats and the Serbs at the AO weren't very nice either.

I kind of like the funny groups of cheering fans like the Swedes and the Fanatics and even the Greeks and the Serbs and Croats, but they need to be respectful not only of the players on the court but also of the people in the stands. They can get annoying for the other fans around too.

I remember being in the stands with those stupid "net heads" behind me and it was super annoyng with their canned chants and mindless yelling. maybe if they had anything clever to chant, it would be fun, but they don't. And James's fans don't seem to be so much fun as they are just agressive.

cobalt60
08-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Well nice to see James apologise for the J Block's behavior to Pam Shriver on tv last night when she interviewed him. ;)

MusicMyst
08-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, it would have nicer if Blake had shut the J-block up before, so that he had nothing to apologize for after the fact. Typical Blake, pretending to be the good guy in public.

Pea
08-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, it would have nicer if Blake had shut the J-block up before, so that he had nothing to apologize for after the fact. Typical Blake, pretending to be the good guy in public.

This is what I hate about blake the most. An honestly, he proally won't say anything to condone it either.

Veronique
08-26-2007, 03:28 PM
This thread means one thing. James is winning again. Typical!

Kalliopeia
08-26-2007, 03:31 PM

Don't worry, it'll go away soon.

myrt
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Sat in front of some JBlocker's in Cincy who kept up a running commentary to James during the match.."Good serve now James...good return...come on you can do it"...I almost thought I was at a Little League match sitting in front of a bunch of Mommies. The constant incessant ranting of theirs plus the T-shirts makes me think of an organized mob. Is James this needy?

Raquel
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry- they just act like the folks in college that I tried to avoid who thought that boorishness = funny.I agree. The sad thing is most of the people in the J-Block look like they're pushing 30, if not older :o

Pea
08-26-2007, 03:58 PM

If this is the only way he can win...................

Raquel
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM

I remember one match (I think it was against Carlos Moya) when Blake won the J Block sang "Na, Na, Na, Na. Hey, hey, hey. Goodbye" as Carlos left the court :rolleyes: And as I said, these people look about 30.

Godiva
08-26-2007, 05:12 PM
If this is the only way he can win...................

Well, he didn't need them to win his titles in Australia or Sweden or to get to the Cup final in Shanghai. Perhaps the J-block is not as indispensable as some would like to make it out to be.

Kalliopeia
08-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Well, he didn't need them to win his titles in Australia or Sweden or to get to the Cup final in Shanghai. Perhaps the J-block is not as indispensable as some would like to make it out to be.

Fabulous, then let's get rid of them. :)

Godiva
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Fabulous, then let's get rid of them. :)

To make you happy?? :lol:

Bremen
08-26-2007, 07:29 PM
To make you happy?? :lol:

To make us all happy.

And for his matches to actually be fair contests...

yana
08-26-2007, 07:39 PM
JBlock is very annoying. Just as much as Blake is.

Fensler
08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
JBlock should be forced to cheer for Steve Darcis.

Jaap
08-26-2007, 10:50 PM
JBlock is full of Mugs.

Raquel
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
*bump* From Jon Wertheim's US Open wrap up. Classy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/09/09/50.things/index.html

So, easily a dozen of you wrote to me (and, for that matter, to NBC's Web site) complaining about the J-Block. I had always assumed this was a harmless cheering section of Connecticut Brahmins, adding some energy to James Blake's matches. I checked out the "block" for myself and, at the risk of sounding like Claude Raines, I was shocked by what I saw and heard. "Cheers" included "lock-and-load on him, James." Fabrice Santoro was told that "France sucks." Santoro was also asked: "Where were you during the war?" Tommy Haas was treated to a quick countdown as he prepared to serve. A fan in a neighboring box accurately yelled, "You guys are acting like bullies."

Hey, we're all for more volume and enthusiastic cheering. We're all for "beering up" a gin-and-tonic crowd. But yelling "France sucks?" Yeesh. Especially given that decorum is Blake's stock-in-trade, it was surprising that his cheering section seems to have so little of it.

trixtah
09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
*bump* From Jon Wertheim's US Open wrap up. Classy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/09/09/50.things/index.html

So, easily a dozen of you wrote to me (and, for that matter, to NBC's Web site) complaining about the J-Block. I had always assumed this was a harmless cheering section of Connecticut Brahmins, adding some energy to James Blake's matches. I checked out the "block" for myself and, at the risk of sounding like Claude Raines, I was shocked by what I saw and heard. "Cheers" included "lock-and-load on him, James." Fabrice Santoro was told that "France sucks." Santoro was also asked: "Where were you during the war?" Tommy Haas was treated to a quick countdown as he prepared to serve. A fan in a neighboring box accurately yelled, "You guys are acting like bullies."

Hey, we're all for more volume and enthusiastic cheering. We're all for "beering up" a gin-and-tonic crowd. But yelling "France sucks?" Yeesh. Especially given that decorum is Blake's stock-in-trade, it was surprising that his cheering section seems to have so little of it.

Finally the media takes notice, ironically it's from this idiot. Oh well, at least more people can take note.

"I had to check this out for myself?" They're not that hard to notice, what with their clusterfuck of ignorant pricks.

binkygirl
09-11-2007, 12:03 AM

i hate them. its a poor reflection on james.

No, I thought that was Mardy Fish yelling that word during a Ginepri-Gasquet match at the US Open about two years ago.

euroka1
09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Sat in front of some JBlocker's in Cincy who kept up a running commentary to James during the match.."Good serve now James...good return...come on you can do it"...I almost thought I was at a Little League match sitting in front of a bunch of Mommies. The constant incessant ranting of theirs plus the T-shirts makes me think of an organized mob. Is James this needy?

It has struck me recently that James Blake's "niceness" is pretty superficial and, not too far under the surface, he, his family and the JBlock are a pretty rough lot of hoods. Look at them all lined up at the matches! :eek:

I wouldn't want to cross them!:smash: