Going for broke ALL the time [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Going for broke ALL the time

celia
08-23-2007, 12:52 AM
I played yesterday against a woman who goes for broke all the time, on every single shot. She missed a lot but when she connected there wasn't a damn thing I could do but watch the ball whizz past me. After a while I got so annoyed because of her style of play, that I found myself unconsciously imitating her and going for shots too early. Luckily my coach was there and I caught a look from him saying "what the fuck are you doing?" and I stopped, calmed myself down, and played my game. In the end I won but I have to wonder, if my coach wasn't there, would she have beat me?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Other than just playing your own game, are there particular techniques for playing go-for-broke type players? I missed most of the Federer-Blake finals at Cincy so I have no idea how Federer schooled him 6-1 in the first but I bet I would have learned a lot!

jazar
08-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I missed most of the Federer-Blake finals at Cincy so I have no idea how Federer schooled him 6-1 in the first but I bet I would have learned a lot!

federer beat him 6-1 because firstly he is a far superior player to james blake and secondly because james blake absoolutely shits himself everytime roger federer is over the other side of the net to him

Angle Queen
08-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Personally, I've never faced someone who's gone for it on every shot. I have, however, faced servers who do...and gosh is it intimidating. Between trying to concentrate on the ball toss and then direction, hoping to even get my racket on it...and then having to make the calls :rolleyes: . I'm sure I gave away plenty of points simply because I was too involved to make a decent call.

During a point, though, I guess I'm a little more relaxed and am more than willing to just say, eh, nice shot. I'll watch the ball all the way to the line even if I miss one that happens to clip it...because these types are gonna win the point or they aren't. I just hope I win more than they do.

But I feel your pain. It's as frustrating to play someone like that as it is to play someone who never goes for it...simply waiting for me to make the error. That's when I really have to dig deep to stick to my game plan.

Glad your coach gave you the right "look" and that you prevailed.

Marek.
08-24-2007, 02:37 AM
I played a guy two months ago who went for broke on every shot and almost all of them went in. Even on his second serve he hit a first and he only made like five double faults. It was such a pain in the ass.

celia
08-24-2007, 04:37 AM
federer beat him 6-1 because firstly he is a far superior player to james blake and secondly because james blake absoolutely shits himself everytime roger federer is over the other side of the net to him

So Federer did nothing special against James' go-for-broke style? That's hard to believe. Surely there was a clue as to what one does against such a player?

Marek.
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
So Federer did nothing special against James' go-for-broke style? That's hard to believe. Surely there was a clue as to what one does against such a player?

Federer usually feeds off his pace and gives it right back to him. This is incredibly hard to do.

adee-gee
08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Federer can usually read where Blake's going to hit it, his defence is very impressive. A lot of Blake's shots would've been winners against most guys but Federer kept getting them back and with something on it as well.

I guess there's not too much you can do other than guess. Sooner or later they'll start missing, best thing to do is focus on your own game. If they were able to hit winners every shot they'd be a pro, so the chances are they're not consistent and will eventually begin to miss. Try not to get annoyed as well, look on the bright side - you're not trying to return Karlovic's serve ;)

celia
08-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Federer can usually read where Blake's going to hit it, his defence is very impressive. A lot of Blake's shots would've been winners against most guys but Federer kept getting them back and with something on it as well.

I guess there's not too much you can do other than guess. Sooner or later they'll start missing, best thing to do is focus on your own game. If they were able to hit winners every shot they'd be a pro, so the chances are they're not consistent and will eventually begin to miss. Try not to get annoyed as well, look on the bright side - you're not trying to return Karlovic's serve ;)

Lovely response. Thank you so much. Everything you said was spot on. Let's go rep you. :kiss:

celia
08-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Federer .....Karlovic's serve ;)

On second thought, we joined this board around the same time, yet you have 51,000+ posts more than I do. WTF??? Do you do anything other than post in here? Why aren't you outside playing some tennis??????

stebs
08-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Break the rythm and keep the ball low with slices and try to get to net whenever you can get on to the attcking side of things.

Also, a good tactic against this kind of player that often goes unused is playing the ball with very little pace down the middle of the court. Of course, at a high level you will get spanked for this but assuming you are not playing Blake you will usually get results. Itis surprisingly hard to attack a ball that comes down the middle of the court if you hit the ball fairly flat.

celia
08-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Break the rythm and keep the ball low with slices and try to get to net whenever you can get on to the attcking side of things.

Also, a good tactic against this kind of player that often goes unused is playing the ball with very little pace down the middle of the court. Of course, at a high level you will get spanked for this but assuming you are not playing Blake you will usually get results. Itis surprisingly hard to attack a ball that comes down the middle of the court if you hit the ball fairly flat.

Thank you! Lovely suggestions. Can't wait to play that biyatch again. :fiery:

GlennMirnyi
09-08-2007, 02:33 AM
I play like that.

Angle Queen
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Also, a good tactic against this kind of player that often goes unused is playing the ball with very little pace down the middle of the court. Of course, at a high level you will get spanked for this but assuming you are not playing Blake you will usually get results. Itis surprisingly hard to attack a ball that comes down the middle of the court if you hit the ball fairly flat.Yep, taking the pace off the ball will frustrate most players, not just the ones who go for it. It might be considered a bit slimy in some circles...but it usually works (except as noted against the very best...and then they'll be winning anyway ;) ).

BgStallion
09-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I play like that.

I thought you were a serve and volleyer?

celia
09-09-2007, 04:34 PM

It's my impression that folks that go for broke all the time are more likely to be baseliners, although they might throw in the occasional serve-n-volley.

WatchOut
09-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Just move them around the court (angles; long, moony shots etc...) so they get into weird positions - then it's harder for them to hit it that hard and get the shot into the court.And mix the serve up :p

celia
11-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Sometimes it's hard to get enough control of the ball to use some of these tactics. But great suggestions all. Thanks. :kiss:

leng jai
12-05-2007, 09:28 AM
It's my impression that folks that go for broke all the time are more likely to be baseliners, although they might throw in the occasional serve-n-volley.

If you're a S&V you're going to be going for winners on every volley anyway, unless you like having rallies at the net.

stebs
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
If you're a S&V you're going to be going for winners on every volley anyway, unless you like having rallies at the net.

Depends how good you are also. I S&V a lot and whereas in the Pro game it is an emphasis on SERVE and volley I almost always have to hit at list one volley which is tough and I don't often go for winners off these.

Snowwy
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
The thing I find about people like this is if you just slice them as much as you can they get frustrated/tired cuz they are either missing the shots or bending a LOT lower to make good shots.

GlennMirnyi
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Federer usually feeds off his pace and gives it right back to him. This is incredibly hard to do.

That's because he has a short swing. ;)

Too hard to play that way consistently on clay (98% of the courts I have access are clay).

The problem of going for winners on approach shots is that if the guy gets to the ball, he'll hit it back with all your power, so the volleys turn to nightmares.

About Federer vs Blake, Federer has a very short swing to hit off both sides (especially the forehand). This way he gets to Blake's flat balls and hit them with Blake's pace and more juice (and placement of course). It's not like most players that end up leaving a short ball after 3-4 flat shots.

Depends how good you are also. I S&V a lot and whereas in the Pro game it is an emphasis on SERVE and volley I almost always have to hit at list one volley which is tough and I don't often go for winners off these.

Yeah, when I go to the net on weaker shots, I usually just try to keep the first volley deep and firm to win the point on the second. Of course this has the big problem of giving a fast guy a second shot at passing you...

GlennMirnyi
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
The thing I find about people like this is if you just slice them as much as you can they get frustrated/tired cuz they are either missing the shots or bending a LOT lower to make good shots.

You know, that's what my coach does to me all the time. Also he breaks the rhythm with many many dropshots.

Snowwy
12-06-2007, 02:47 AM
You know, that's what my coach does to me all the time. Also he breaks the rhythm with many many dropshots.

Its annoying if people arent patient. I hate it when people do it to me.

celia
12-08-2007, 03:36 PM

And that is what my coach did to me after that particular match to show me how I should have played her. It's damn frustrating to play against this style. Made me almost miss the bashing biyatch. :lol:

stebs
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, when I go to the net on weaker shots, I usually just try to keep the first volley deep and firm to win the point on the second. Of course this has the big problem of giving a fast guy a second shot at passing you...

With all aspects of tennis it depends what level you're at in terms of tactics. For me it is clever to take pace off the ball meaning they have to add pace and placement whilst against a very good player this is suicice.

GlennMirnyi
12-10-2007, 01:14 AM
With all aspects of tennis it depends what level you're at in terms of tactics. For me it is clever to take pace off the ball meaning they have to add pace and placement whilst against a very good player this is suicice.

True. Against my coach it's suicide hitting a flat bomb to his backhand when rushing the net. It comes back much worse. Usually you have to adapt to your opponent... if he doesn't have much power you cut the pace and add spin to the approach shot, while if he does, you'll have to be more attentive to the placement and hit flatter to his weaker side.

azza
12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
maybr ur more shit at tennis then u think and the opponent wasnt really goign for broke but just kicking ur ass coz ur to slow?

Philzsay
12-12-2007, 04:42 AM
If they are a player that essentially stands on the baseline I usually try to hit the ball hard and fast at the drop of their feet. When they try to hit that ball for a winner they ussually dont have a proper swing at the ball and make more errors because of poor technique.

Do this and after a while and they get used to it and start to move to favour their preferred shot. Say they are right handed and their prefered shot is the forehand then they may instinctivly while you are hitting the ball move to their left so they can have a swing at their forhand. At this stage I then aim for their left foot so they are always effectively running out of room. It frustrates the hell out of them.

The key though is to hit it hard and fast so the ball is on them quickly, if you give them to much time they can move into position to hit an easy winner.

GlennMirnyi
12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't know about other people, but the harder the other guy hits the better for my going for broke game. Makes it much easier to hit a winner when the ball already comes really fast to me.

HKz
02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
MMMM I LOVE playing against these players. I like to react to their shots and just get the ball back.

When you want to win points against these types of players you either every as deep as you can (not speed, but depth), or make them hit uncomfortable shots like high above their shoulders because its A LOT tougher to hit winners from up there.