Advice from some Fellow Gamblers [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Advice from some Fellow Gamblers

stable unit
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi there guys,

Currently im a student (Birmngham Uni doing Biology) and i'll be heading back for my final year in October. After that im thinking of taking a gap year, half to travel and half to seriously look into this long term.

Its a pipe dream at the moment, but i enjoy tennis betting (even the losses i try to learn from). I dont post all my results on here, because i do a fair bit of flip-flopping in play. I have had success though over the last 12-18 months, which has helped me out at uni. Although i think it took a good year or two at least to break even initially. I guess the 'challenge' is the most appealing factor in this tennis lark, but whether i could be successful who knows :shrug: (i dont expect miracles).

1) I bet a certain % of my bankroll dependant on the odds if i like the play. Roughly speaking
2 units @1.6
1 unit @2ish
0.5 unit@3

Would you advise keeping this strategy or do you bet always to win a certain amount i.e 1 unit.

2) Are you full time at this? The main problem holding me back is the unsocial hours and solitariness. I'll have to work on that in the long term, we'll see how it goes. I might post this in the Gambler's Lounge later tonight.

Any reply would be helpful
Adam
:wavey:

edit: (I sent a PM to Bad Gambler and Jez who told me to post it here for advice)

jayjay
08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Not really sure what you are asking here other than the unit plays. Re: That matter, if what you have been doing is working for you, then stick with it. If not, then look at making adjustments.

Re: Fulltime - Gambling doesn't make for unsocial hours (it means you set your own hours, you don't have to be 'working' everyday), unless you are looking to trade every match you don't necessarily have to be watching each and everyone, and if you're playing each and everyone it's not a good idea anyway.

Good luck with it all. :)

bad gambler
08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi there guys,

Currently im a student (Birmngham Uni doing Biology) and i'll be heading back for my final year in October. After that im thinking of taking a gap year, half to travel and half to seriously look into this long term.

Its a pipe dream at the moment, but i enjoy tennis betting (even the losses i try to learn from). I dont post all my results on here, because i do a fair bit of flip-flopping in play. I have had success though over the last 12-18 months, which has helped me out at uni. Although i think it took a good year or two at least to break even initially. I guess the 'challenge' is the most appealing factor in this tennis lark, but whether i could be successful who knows :shrug: (i dont expect miracles).

1) I bet a certain % of my bankroll dependant on the odds if i like the play. Roughly speaking
2 units @1.6
1 unit @2ish
0.5 unit@3

Would you advise keeping this strategy or do you bet always to win a certain amount i.e 1 unit.

I can't really answer this one because staking is entirely up to each individual. Some punters I know like to make daily/monthly targets and stake accordingly as an example.

2) Are you full time at this? The main problem holding me back is the unsocial hours and solitariness. I'll have to work on that in the long term, we'll see how it goes. I might post this in the Gambler's Lounge later tonight.

Any reply would be helpful
Adam
:wavey:

edit: (I sent a PM to Bad Gambler and Jez who told me to post it here for advice)

Not anymore but at one point in my life I did gamble for living for a stretch of 3 years. IF you are considering to gamble with the view of creating a secondary source of income I would make a couple of suggestions:
*Complete your graduate studies first and foremost and any other studies you intend to undertake. The last thing you want to do is have gambling affect your studies. Whatever happens with gambling you will know you always have that piece of paper to fall back on.
*With respect to your point about the unsocial hours - well that comes down to discipline. If you find yourself unable to get away from the computer to check scores etc then I would say straight away say full time gambling is not for you because it will take over your life if you allow it to. Spend the necessary hours you need to cap the matches but always leave aside time to spend with friends and if not that simply just to relax and take your mind away from gambling. I think one of the misnomers of being a "full time gambler" is that you don't actually need to spend that much time researching plays, you can have a life outside gambling.

Finally just to play devil's advocate, only around 7-10% of people who gamble actually win in the long run. So think very carefully before making any decisions. However if you do have a good track record to date then you should have the confidence to back yourself to be successful in the long run.

SwiSha
08-23-2007, 02:51 PM
great post BG

ryan23
09-07-2007, 07:35 PM
been a while now stable unit just wondering how is it going m8? winning more than losing?

i tend to find and i know this sounds like a typical gambling cliche but a streak of bad or great for me,this week ive only had 1 loss out of about 10/15 bets,but i know probably next week it will be the opposite, on that basis dont get carried away when your on a good run always remember you cant win every bet good luck m8