Roasting the Roasters in Cincy (And bring back Toni!!!) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roasting the Roasters in Cincy (And bring back Toni!!!)

Johnny Groove
08-12-2007, 06:26 PM
:shrug:

Tess Gray
08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I WANT TONI BACK TOO!!:o

and hopefully rafa will win cincy

vamos:D

FedFan_2007
08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Nadal looking pretty down these days.

guga2120
08-12-2007, 10:41 PM
His draw is brutal, if he does play well he could do well but we will see, he did not look at his best in Montreal. Atleast Novak is not in his half, thats a first.

Metis
08-12-2007, 10:52 PM
I will be happy if he improves on last year's result displaying a better form than in Montreal. Finalist or winner will be a bonus :).

Xristos
08-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Who does he face first up?

MariaV
08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Chris, it'll be the winner of Feli Lopez vs Juan Monaco. But after that could be the 'horrible' Youzhny in the 3rd. :( :scared: :unsure: :bolt:
Will tio Toni come only for the USO? :( :tears: :sad:

MariaV
08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
OMG, he's in the doubles with Richie Gasquet :angel: :kiss: and they're first up against Tursunov/Wassen. :lol: Should be some fun. :D

Castafiore
08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Yes, I do think that Toni Nadal will only come to the USO.

However, Rafa did win the HC tournaments Montréal 2005 + Indian Wells 2007 when uncle Toni was home and so, with Roig as his coach. :shrug:

Xristos
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I can somehow see Feli beating Rafa..

kandygram
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Feli beat Rafa? Have you been :drink: Xristos? :p

Agassi Fan
08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Good luck Rafa!

The_Nadal_effect
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Apt title again, Jon! :yeah:

I hope Rafa does a :fiery: Rafzilla :toothy: in Cinci!

The weekend loss to Nole ought to have fired his rich & famous @$$ somewhat, no?

Johnny Groove
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I can somehow see Feli beating Rafa..

Enough with the booze. Feli will be lucky to beat Monaco. Hes not beating Nadal

yana
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Don't know if Rafa will do better in Cincy, but I'm sure Nole will help reduce the difference between 2 and 1, hehe

RogiRafaFan86
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Feli beat Rafa? Have you been :drink: Xristos? :p

Rafa can beat anyone. Anyone can beat Rafa. Anyone can beat anyone. Thinking otherwise is nuts. Any number of factors can go together at any time during a match, favoring one player over the other.

Do I think Rafa will beat Feli, if he even has to play him? Yes. But saying Feli can't beat Rafa is ridiculous. It's unlikely, not impossible. Don't sleep on Feli. He's well in the top 100 (64th right now, the highest he has been in quite a while), and he took out both Berdych and Ferrero (who are both ranked above Monaco) on clay, a surface he's not the most comfortable on. He likes hardcourts much better, so he can be dangerous there if he's playing well, especially with that serve of his.

All of this could be for not, he might very well lose to Monaco. But he's not a bad player, or even anything close to that.

l_mac
08-14-2007, 01:02 AM
IIRC, isn't Monaco pretty awful on hard courts? I'd expect Lopez to win that match.

Of course, I can't call match to save my life, so I've probably jinxed poor Feli.

MariaV
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Feli must improve and hopefully he can improve on hard courts, he hasn't had great draws lately either. I hope he'll beat Monaco but I doubt he can beat Rafa. :lol:

Btw Rafa and Richie play doubles today vs tursunov/Wassen on Court 3 not before 3.30 pm local time.

Rafas_grl
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Will any station be showing that match? i wanna watch it so bad!!!
Vamos and Allez!!:p

Alexandy
08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
On the ATP website, I think, they have Hrbaty and someone else as alternates playing Tursunov/Wassen in the doubles. Has anyone heard anything about Rafa and Gasquet pulling out of the doubles?

RogiRafaFan86
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
On the ATP website, I think, they have Hrbaty and someone else as alternates playing Tursunov/Wassen in the doubles. Has anyone heard anything about Rafa and Gasquet pulling out of the doubles?

Yes, it seems they have pulled out.

tangerine_dream
08-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Good luck to Rafa in Cincy :wavey: I hope his knee is well.

l_mac
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
IIRC, isn't Monaco pretty awful on hard courts? I'd expect Lopez to win that match.

Of course, I can't call match to save my life, so I've probably jinxed poor Feli.

Good one, l_mac :rolleyes:

Puschkin
08-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Any information about the official reason for Gasquet/Nadal to withdraw from the doubles?

Johnny Groove
08-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Richie had blisters

Xristos
08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Disapointing.

MariaV
08-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Blisters? Again? :awww: :( I hope Richie will be able to play singles today.

CENTER COURT
Matches Start At: 11:00 AM
Lleyton HEWITT (AUS) vs [8] Richard GASQUET (FRA)

Not Before 1:00 PM
Juan MONACO (ARG) vs [2] Rafael NADAL (ESP)

Johnny Groove
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Maria, i heard you were cheating on me for JMPower :rolleyes:

Hoping these rumours are NOT true *taps foot impatiently*

Xristos
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Vammooos!

MariaV
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Maria, i heard you were cheating on me for JMPower :rolleyes:

Hoping these rumours are NOT true *taps foot impatiently*

:spit: :spit: Ooo oooo ..... ummmm....... eeeee.... we have a love-hate relationship with JMP. :angel: :angel: :rolls:

VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Johnny Groove
08-15-2007, 05:46 PM
:spit: :spit: Ooo oooo ..... ummmm....... eeeee.... we have a love-hate relationship with JMP. :angel: :angel: :rolls:

VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

I thought what we had was special :awww:

Im going back to Ania :awww:

mallorn
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought what we had was special :awww:

Im going back to Ania :awww:
:eek: You cheated on me and now you want back because Maria doesn't want you? :eek: No way I'm having you back. :ras: :awww:

My god, Rafa is playing a terrible match atm, errors left, right and centre, serving at 42%. :bigcry:

SerenaFederer
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Rafa retires :hug: he had QF points to defend but better he lose QF points now that at the Open

mallorn
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Not good, seems he injured himself before the match, cause people who saw him practise today said he looked terrible. :awww:
Nadal Retires From Cincinnati Masters

Rafael Nadal Retires From Cincinnati Masters During Match Against Juan Monaco

By TERRY KINNEY Associated Press Writer
MASON, Ohio Aug 15, 2007 (AP)

Rafael Nadal, looking nothing like the second-ranked player in the world, struggled early and then retired during the second set against Juan Monaco of Argentina at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters on Wednesday.

Nadal, his right knee wrapped and his left wrist aching, never appeared comfortable in the early going, barely managing to hold serve twice. He failed to win a point in his third service game, hitting game point off the edge of his racket into the stands.

The eighth game was a complete turnabout, with Nadal serving and dominating Monaco to go 5-3. Nadal then broke Monaco to get back on serve, running Monaco from side to side and scoring on two brilliant passing shots, one of which sent Monaco diving to the court in a wild attempt to save a point.

Nadal seemed to be in complete control until the tiebreaker. After losing that, he took an injury timeout to have his left wrist and forearm massaged and ice applied.

When play resumed, Nadal did not win a point in failing to hold serve, and Monaco seemed revitalized. Nadal failed to hold again in the fifth game, weakly hitting game point into the net.

Trailing 4-1, he retired.

Nadal had been bothered by a sore right knee since his Wimbledon final loss to Roger Federer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3483186

guga2120
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Thats too bad, especially with the US Open coming up, the knee and now the wrist. It seems only Novak will have a chance to beat Roger in NY.

Johnny Groove
08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Rafa :awww: Hope he gets better for the USO, he never looked to be in this match, he was even playing fast. :eek:

:eek: You cheated on me and now you want back because Maria doesn't want you? :eek: No way I'm having you back. :ras: :awww:

And Rafa lost too, what a terrible day :sobbing:

the_natural
08-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Thats too bad, especially with the US Open coming up, the knee and now the wrist. It seems only Novak will have a chance to beat Roger in NY.

I dont think Rafa will ever be number 1 after what i saw today. Federer is gonna be there for another 2 or 3 years cos welll, most players are pussies when they play him, they cant wait to lose so they can get on their knees and praise him, and also cos his game matches up well with all these players (i.e. he has a slice backhand, something that 99% of these fools cant handle).

Rafa has to work too hard to win matches, wimbledon he amde the final after alotta hard work, he will never have the ivanesevic serve which is a major prob, hes a lefty but for some reason his lefty serve only has the advantage of swingin into the opponents body, but opponents are able to read his serve very well, he also doesnt use the wide serve well on the deuce court and has to muscle the ball to get pace on it, also gets very few cheap points).

Another problem is that rafa is not a good returner and he doesnt know how to be, he can get quite a few balls back into play and yes hes become alot more aggressive with his returns, but hes aggressive by hitting em hard taking a big swing, hittind down the line etc hes not aggressive like agassi was i.e. standing in close to the baselineand taking time away from the opponent, he thinks that he should stand further back against big servers and then hit the return hard but thats not how it works, there are so many psychological advantages of standing closer in and also his reaction speed will catch up with him (he also reads serves badly, u see him taking alot of guesses especially against good servers, look at how he was dictated to by Federer and Djokovic this year, federer was dictating things on clay too with his serve).

Another problem, he has to work too hard, too much running too much hitting and against the big players he seems to beat them with defence but with court covering defense, and lots of topspun balls, Not something simple and almost effortless like a blocked service return or a slice backhand (something federer does to great effect against blake, and Nadals slice backhand looks like it takes a lot more effort than federers).

Then we have the problem of guys like Novak whom can beat him and neutralise his game, worse still u have losers like Blake (blakes a nice guy but is an idiot on the tennis court), and 1 hit wonders like Mikail, Berdych, Davydenko (Ok they arent exactly 1 hit wonders But they are guys who will play awesome against rafa and either beat him or tire him out, then lose meekly later on) that cause problems for him.

Finally and most worryingly of all, 2 injuries since wimbledon, possibly 3 (We had to retire because we had tough matches and i have alittle problem with the elbow, this is wat he said at montreal), hate to say it but commentators are finally right about something, nadals game is so physical that it just doesnt bode well for his longevity in the game, hes not yet gone a full season without injuries (i believe this goes all the way back to when he turned pro, hes always been injured at some point in the season), it tkaes him outta playing for several weeks so he comes back tentative lacking polish and also playing defensively, but it also means he misses a number of big tournaments and has lost lots of points he could be defending or winning so hes back at square 1 which is, a distant world number 2 (in ranking points) meanwhile federer is racking up points, Hes gonna get a huge boost with his cakewalk to the title this week (NOVAK IS OUT TOO theres no1 left), and then when he wins the USO. By the time federer does lose steam Guys like Djokovic, baghdatis etc will have grown up and probably be pushing for the number 1 position and may very well overtake rafa (federer plans on playing till hes 35 btw), this was Rafas best chance to become number 1 this year with all the clay tournaments he won but now it just means more pressure on him next year.

Yes this is a very cynical post and i dont think ive criticised rafa at all for his dedication or mentality or for his perceived physical frailty because he gives a 120% in trying to become a much better much more complete players, but im just pointing out that the odds are really stacked against him I just hope he has a good team behind him who can see what they can do to his game in order to make it more efficient for his body rather than getting physically stronger or faster, find other ways to make winning easier.

Also about Novak being able to beat the swiss miss at the uso, dont bet on it, novak is another one of those guys who can knock rafa out before the finals giving the swiss miss another easy title, but if we look back to wimbledon, he himself has to work very hard (as does everyone, from Safin at the 04 Aussie to Andre at the 05 USO, to baghdatis, Rafa at both wimbledons... well pretty much anyone federer plays in a final).

Ti-Anne
08-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Know what ? I couldn't care less whether Rafa will or will not be #1, this year or anytime. All I want is that he rests, I don't wanna him to hurt too much, and if he cannot play USO, well, too bad, the important thing is that he heals, comes back stronger and makes me dream again... Rafa's been #1 in my heart since he was 16, and that'll never change !!

Johnny Groove
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Know what ? I couldn't care less whether Rafa will or will not be #1, this year or anytime. All I want is that he rests, I don't wanna him to hurt too much, and if he cannot play USO, well, too bad, the important thing is that he heals, comes back stronger and makes me dream again... Rafa's been #1 in my heart since he was 16, and that'll never change !!

awww, sweetheart, thats a very nice way of looking at it, I'd like just the same :hug:

Mimi
08-16-2007, 07:27 AM
me too, i don't mind too much this no.1 ranking, i prefer to see him healthy and win more slams, Rios had been no.1 before, but i doubt anyone would put him in front of rafa in terms of achievements :p

MariaV
08-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Rafa :awww: Hope he gets better for the USO, he never looked to be in this match, he was even playing fast. :eek:

And Rafa lost too, what a terrible day :sobbing:

Awww baby! :hug: :hug: I couldn't see the match. :mad: I hope the left hand/wrist is not really bad and the knee is OK and everything will be fine for the USO! Ahh, injuries are always very unfortunate. :(

P.S. It's not like you've been the paragon of virtue yourself. ;)

And btw who was spreading rumours about me and JMP? :armed:

mallorn
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I dont think Rafa will ever be number 1 after what i saw today.
Obviously hardcourts are Rafa's worst surface atm, but it's premature to judge his ability to get to number one on the way he played when affected by some sort of heatstroke/dehydration and a writs/forearm problem. How he bounces back from this is going to be vital though.
Rafa has to work too hard to win matches
I suppose this may always be true, but look how much more efficient he's been this season than last by playing a little bit more aggressively. He understands that to be more successful and to have a long career he needs to take the initiative more, but at the same time he can't (and shouldn't try to) drastically change his game, because it is what it is - and it has brought him so much success already. It's about finding the right balance and Rafa is a work in progress. He's come a long way since last year, and he still has a long way to go, but it's too much to expect him to peak at 21 and then keep this level for several years.
Another problem is that rafa is not a good returner and he doesnt know how to be
The return on fast courts is maybe the weakest part of his game, and I'm not sure how he can work on this - maybe getting some outside help would be a good thing to do.
Finally and most worryingly of all, 2 injuries since wimbledon, possibly 3 (We had to retire because we had tough matches and i have alittle problem with the elbow, this is wat he said at montreal)
I think the elbow was just a way of getting out of the doubles. ;) He's had tendonitis in his knees for a long time and after an extended period of play (like the spring-early summer swing) it's more likely than not to bother him again. He needs to be extra careful but I doubt after what happened in Madrid 2005 he'll ever again try to play through an injury that he thinks could put him on the sidelines again. That one really taught him a lesson.
Yes this is a very cynical post and i dont think ive criticised rafa at all for his dedication or mentality or for his perceived physical frailty because he gives a 120% in trying to become a much better much more complete players, but im just pointing out that the odds are really stacked against him I just hope he has a good team behind him who can see what they can do to his game in order to make it more efficient for his body rather than getting physically stronger or faster, find other ways to make winning easier.
I would say it's disappointed rather than cynical. ;) :hug: I think he's got a great team, and they take very good care of him, monitoring him very closely - Rafa Maymó (his physio) takes notes daily and is in constant contact with Rafa's physical preparer in Mallorca, Joan Forcades.
Also about Novak being able to beat the swiss miss at the uso, dont bet on it, novak is another one of those guys who can knock rafa out before the finals giving the swiss miss another easy title, but if we look back to wimbledon, he himself has to work very hard
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how Nole holds up physically after such a long and successful season. Wimbledon was an extreme case though - I don't think such a crazy schedule has ever been played before. :( I think the two weeks of rest are going to do him a lot of good and he'll be a very good bet for the final.

mallorn
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Rafa's interview.
WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

August 15, 2007
Rafael Nadal
CINCINNATI, OHIO

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Did you hurt yourself during the match?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Yeah, but I have some cramping here. I wasn't grasp the racquet very well. I didn't feel nothing when I touching the racquet. I wasn't feel very well when I go to the court. On the way, I feel dizzy all time. It was tough day.

Q. So even before the match started you felt something was wrong?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, nothing. When I go to the court, I don't know, strange feelings.

Q. When did to get really bad during the match, the way you felt?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, I start very bad.

Q. Started very bad?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. I started very bad feeling totally dizzy all time. The mind wasn't there in no moment. Well, Monaco was playing well. I can't play more than three ball on every point. I wasn't feel well. My feelings is I wasn't have power in the legs. Well, I don't know, strange feeling today.

Q. That's odd, because I thought maybe the first round bye might help you coming from Montreal.
RAFAEL NADAL: It's important to have some off days always, but sometimes that's happen, no? It's the first time in the season for me and here humidity is a lot. It's tough.
So I don't know, I really don't know what's happening. But the true is I wasn't feel well during the match and during the day.

Q. Why did you retire when you did? Did you think you would be able to finish?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Well, because I can't continue, no? It was stupid continue playing because I feel I can't do nothing. I can't move and I feel going worse, the dizzy is going worse. It's stupid continuing suffering on court for nothing, no?

Q. Was the dizziness worse or the arm?
RAFAEL NADAL: It was a little bit everything, no?

Q. Was your arm in pain or was it just tight?
RAFAEL NADAL: Cramping.

Q. It seemed to really affect you on your forehand, your arm. Was it worse on that side or no?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everything affect everything. I can't move. Through the match I never run more than three balls. It's difficult play like this, no?

Q. It's just the bad luck, so to speak, sort of continues here for you in Cincinnati. How frustrating is it for you to play this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: Not much, no? I was coming here with big illusion, but these things can happen in any tournament. This is a heat tournament, hot tournament, and anyway it can happen, that.
The important thing for me is I was here today in very important tournament, but just disappointed for that. But it's nothing wrong with this tournament, no? The surface is okay for me and I know when I am her I can come here and win the tournament.

Q. Will you head to New York to prepare for the Open or what are your plans now?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I have to think.

Q. Did you feel some pain during the warm up this morning?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I feel great. Playing well. Nothing bad. Strange. When I go to the court definitely I feel pain, but...
End of FastScripts
The official version from the Spanish media is that he had a heatstroke, which caused the dizziness and the cramp in his left forearm/wrist.
However, as far as this answer is concerned:
Q. Did you feel some pain during the warm up this morning?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I feel great. Playing well. Nothing bad. Strange. When I go to the court definitely I feel pain, but...
there's something odd about it, because people who saw him practise yesterday morning said his left wrist was taped and he kept messing with it, and that it was obvious it was bothering him. Also, he was very snappy and generally in a terrible mood, which was very uncharacteristic (on Monday he couldn't stop laughing during practice). Fingers crossed it was just a cramp and nothing to worry about. He's staying in Cinci until Sunday and then will go to NY.

the_natural
08-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Obviously hardcourts are Rafa's worst surface atm, but it's premature to judge his ability to get to number one on the way he played when affected by some sort of heatstroke/dehydration and a writs/forearm problem. How he bounces back from this is going to be vital though.

I suppose this may always be true, but look how much more efficient he's been this season than last by playing a little bit more aggressively. He understands that to be more successful and to have a long career he needs to take the initiative more, but at the same time he can't (and shouldn't try to) drastically change his game, because it is what it is - and it has brought him so much success already. It's about finding the right balance and Rafa is a work in progress. He's come a long way since last year, and he still has a long way to go, but it's too much to expect him to peak at 21 and then keep this level for several years.

The return on fast courts is maybe the weakest part of his game, and I'm not sure how he can work on this - maybe getting some outside help would be a good thing to do.

I think the elbow was just a way of getting out of the doubles. ;) He's had tendonitis in his knees for a long time and after an extended period of play (like the spring-early summer swing) it's more likely than not to bother him again. He needs to be extra careful but I doubt after what happened in Madrid 2005 he'll ever again try to play through an injury that he thinks could put him on the sidelines again. That one really taught him a lesson.

I would say it's disappointed rather than cynical. ;) :hug: I think he's got a great team, and they take very good care of him, monitoring him very closely - Rafa Maymó (his physio) takes notes daily and is in constant contact with Rafa's physical preparer in Mallorca, Joan Forcades.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how Nole holds up physically after such a long and successful season. Wimbledon was an extreme case though - I don't think such a crazy schedule has ever been played before. :( I think the two weeks of rest are going to do him a lot of good and he'll be a very good bet for the final.

thanks for responding :) and in such detail (hugs). U guys are right number 1 isnt nearly as important as a slam, id rather he win wimbledon and the uso and aussie during his career rather than becoming number 1 and label as "simply a dirtballer"

the_natural
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Rafa's interview.

The official version from the Spanish media is that he had a heatstroke, which caused the dizziness and the cramp in his left forearm/wrist.
However, as far as this answer is concerned:

there's something odd about it, because people who saw him practise yesterday morning said his left wrist was taped and he kept messing with it, and that it was obvious it was bothering him. Also, he was very snappy and generally in a terrible mood, which was very uncharacteristic (on Monday he couldn't stop laughing during practice). Fingers crossed it was just a cramp and nothing to worry about. He's staying in Cinci until Sunday and then will go to NY.

ThAT last part of ur post is extremley disturbing, couldnt stop lauging in practice??? and yes i heard about him lookin outta sorts in practice, I hope hes fine now after having a thorough check up cos that sounds really really weird.

mallorn
08-21-2007, 03:32 PM
ThAT last part of ur post is extremley disturbing, couldnt stop lauging in practice???
Yes, according to people who went to the tournament he was in a great mood during the Monday practice, joking and laughing all the time.
and yes i heard about him lookin outta sorts in practice, I hope hes fine now after having a thorough check up cos that sounds really really weird.
Apparently he had a couple of days of rest and then went back to training. Hopefully he'll have better luck with (no) injuries from now on. :awww: