Rule question (let vs fault) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rule question (let vs fault)

myuki
08-11-2007, 08:57 PM
When you serve the ball, and it hits the tape, is it only a let if it lands in the service box, or is it a let if it crosses to the other player's side? The reason I ask is because I would have thought that the service let means "it could have been in, and the opponent might have gotten it, but since it hit the tape it may have been knocked out or the opponent may have been out of position, so it's a do-over." However a friend of mine recently told me that it is only a let if it lands in the service box, even if it was going to be in if not for the tape. However, he says that if it does not hit the service box, tape or not, it is a fault. He wasn't sure about the rule but thought he'd heard it that way. Which is right?

Neely
08-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Of course it matters if the ball drops into the right service box or not.

A serve touching the net cord (net tape) AND dropping into the right service box is a let.
(with a very little restriction, but this is mostly in 99.9% of all cases. I don't want to confuse you with such little details for now, it's much more important you are getting the main things first)

Any serve which does not land in the correct service box is a fault.

tennisplayer89
08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
It is only a let if lands in the correct service box. If it does not land in the service box, it is a fault.

lazyman
08-21-2007, 02:55 AM
It is only a let if lands in the correct service box. If it does not land in the service box, it is a fault.

That is not completely true i think. I may be wrong but im fairly sure a let can be called if the server serves before the reciever is ready. This is also a let

well its does have to land in the service box so yeah u r right but it doesnt have to hit the net to be a let

tennisplayer89
08-26-2007, 11:45 PM
I was assuming that everyone was ready, a distant car alarm didn't go off, and a crazed fan wasn't running on the court. Otherwise, you're right.

mir
09-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Of course it matters if the ball drops into the right service box or not.

A serve touching the net cord (net tape) AND dropping into the right service box is a let.
(with a very little restriction, but this is mostly in 99.9% of all cases. I don't want to confuse you with such little details for now, it's much more important you are getting the main things first)

Any serve which does not land in the correct service box is a fault.

You got me curious about the 0.1 % :p