Coria accepts wildcard for Queen's [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria accepts wildcard for Queen's

jtipson
05-19-2004, 10:23 AM
From eurosport.com
Coria to play at Queen's

World number three Guillermo Coria will abandon his beloved clay courts to play on Queen's Club's slick grass to get in shape at Wimbledon. The Argentine, a favourite for next week's French Open, has accepted a wildcard into the championships for the first time, said tournament spokesman David Law.

The traditional Wimbledon warm-up event takes place in London from June 7 to 13.

Coria will be hoping to reproduce his fantastic clay-court form on grass and show he can win on all surfaces.

Widely regarded as the hot favourite to win the French Open, the 22-year-old won 31 consecutive matches on clay before losing in the Hamburg final last Sunday.

He has also shown plenty of ability on other surfaces, reaching the final on Miami's hard courts earlier this year, and the U.S. Open quarterfinals in 2003.

Coria has not been beyond the first round at Wimbledon in two previous attempts, but this year will mark the first time he has chosen to play an event on grass in the run-up to the tournament.

Coria will be joined in the Queen's draw by U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick, former Wimbledon champions Goran Ivanisevic and Lleyton Hewitt and Britain's Tim Henman.

Tournament director Ian Wight has four further wild cards to award before the event gets under way.

Corey Feldman
06-04-2004, 08:10 PM
what i wouldnt give to see henman crunch him in a sf, mind you, coria in a grass court sf , i think not ! :)

jtipson
06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I know, just thought about that this evening <rubs hands in glee>.

Tim will be seeded 5 so it could happen as early as the quarters. But that would mean Coria having to win two matches on grass after his exertions in Paris.

Corey Feldman
06-04-2004, 11:20 PM
the queens draw will be interesting, am i right in thinking hewitt! might be unseeded

i know escude will be unseeded, he aint a guy ya wanna see in timmy's draw !! :rolleyes:

dubis016
06-05-2004, 12:37 AM
yes, go Coria

Chloe le Bopper
06-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Tournament director Ian Wight has four further wild cards to award before the event gets under way.

Apparently Dancevic got one! Uh, that is what somebody on another board told me, anyways. I dunno how the heck that worked out, but woohoo!

Dana
06-05-2004, 02:48 AM
Apparently Dancevic got one! Uh, that is what somebody on another board told me, anyways. I dunno how the heck that worked out, but woohoo!
Yes, you are right! From http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3021472 : "The fifth and final wild card was awarded to Canadian Frank Dancevic, who defeated Rusedski in the Surbiton quarter-finals today." How it worked out...? I have 2 stupid theories that I will keep for myself I think... :)

Dana

Siva
06-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Guillermo, allez :yeah:

Show'em that grass is not only for cows :p