Which American young player will end up having a better career? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which American young player will end up having a better career?

Ace Tracker
08-20-2002, 02:00 AM
Blake latest victory in Washington made lots of people jump in his bandwagon, but will he be the most accomplished American player 10 years from now?
or do you think Andy has a better shot in Slams and other Masters and major tournaments?
Does anybody think that Taylor Dent is at the brink of a major breakthrough?
or maybe out of the unheralded ones, like Alex Kim, Jeff Morrison, Mardy Fish, Robby Ginepri and others, a great champion will come out...what do you think?

tennischick
08-20-2002, 02:29 AM
what a tough topic!!!!!!! can't you make it easier? :p

OK, lemme try to be objective. i want for James to accomplish great things but it won't be for another couple of years as there are still weaknesses in his game that he has to correct. but he is a fast learner and is doing better at constructing his points cleverly. will his skinny legs hold up is the question :eek:

i don't care what Andy achieves but i think he will do well if he remains injury-free. but given the way the launches himself into the ball and trips over his feet, i don't think he'll be around for a long career. he'll be in traction too often for that.

Ginepri? hewitt made him look like a beginner. i have no faith -- altho' he is young and i shouldn't write him off.

Morrisson seems to lack the killer instinct required for greatness. he's just too damned sweet.

Denthead is an idiot with a big serve. he won't deliver IMO, Newport notwithstanding.

Alex Kim -- well he beat Kafelnikov in Australia (?) and what has he done since? he plays a regular baseline game but he needs more than that to win these days. not enuf weapons.

Mardy Fish i don't know. i think Pat Mac is right to give him some Davis Cup exposure; there's talent there.

i guess in the end i vote for James. then again i may just be hopelessly biased...:p :p

Chloe le Bopper
08-20-2002, 04:06 AM
I would have to go with Andy, even though I want to say James.

As long as Andy's body doesn't break down of course, he will keep improving likely, and start to play a bit smarter.

There is always the chance of course that he will peak really young, as some players do, and then be a top 20 floater or whatever.

I'm not sure about James. I would love for him to get into the top 10 and win slams, but I haven't seen enough of him to judge.

It is hard for me to compare him and Andy, because one is apparently an early bloomer, while the other hasn't quite hit his stride yet but is getting there.

Sonic
08-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Andie.

Carmody
08-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Blake is not bad but i think that he has still to grow up but Roddick is better :wavey:

Dissident
08-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Its really though to chose between Andy and James. The others are not in the same league.
Since the two players are on totally different states of maturity in their games, its not really fair to compare them. Roddick is more developed, and compared to James he is already experient.
Blake has a good game, but we cant say just now what he will do. Maybe in an year we can have a more precise opinion, since James would have had a whole year of maturated tennis to show us what he´s made of.
Right now, I cant not pick Andy.

Gandalf
08-20-2002, 02:04 PM
I think the only ones to have a decent career will be Roddick and Blake. I haven't seen anything that impressive from Dent and the others.

From this two, I think Roddick will have the better career. He won't get to number 1 (IMO) and could get broken by injuries, but I think he'll be in the top 10 for a long time and could win a couple of Slams.

Blake, he could win some titles, but top 15 is the best I forsee him.

the cat
08-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Roddick. That's an easy choice. But I think James Blake could push the top ten someday.

I couldn't believe it when I heard Paul Annacone on the radio the other day talking about how Taylor Dent had the most talent and the biggest upside of any of the young Americans! :eek: I hope Dent can deliver. But I see him as all serve and not much else. I do have very high hopes for Roddick, even though he hasn't stepped up this year. And I high hopes for Blake.

The situation is far worse for American girls! :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Never fear cat, if push comes to shove you guys will just buy some Russians :kiss:

Lindsayfan
08-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Andy will win many Grand Slams,i'm pretty sure of that.i doubt about Blake and Dent to win a Major but they still can stay in top 20 and play some good tennis.i hope my fave babe Brandon Evans will have a great career! :kiss:

ILR
08-20-2002, 05:51 PM
I have 2 say Andy

roots
08-20-2002, 08:15 PM
I think Andy Roddick might be just a tad too flashy for his own good. He's a solid player, no doubt there, but I have a feeling James Blake will be more successful.

Pea
08-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Mardy or Robby!! Time will tell!!

AdriRob
08-20-2002, 11:02 PM
I can't say Andy......he will get injured at some stage in the future.
James will keep improving ...and You'll see he's gonna end up having better results than Andy

safin_fan
08-21-2002, 02:32 PM
I think Mardy Fish will be a late bloomer. What about that guy who beat Haas in LA? I've been hearing good things about him.

freakske
08-21-2002, 05:22 PM
james!!!

bcoene
08-22-2002, 11:03 PM
I think Andy Roddick.

tennischick
08-22-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by the cat
I couldn't believe it when I heard Paul Annacone on the radio the other day talking about how Taylor Dent had the most talent and the biggest upside of any of the young Americans! :eek: I hope Dent can deliver. But I see him as all serve and not much else.

that's bec Denthead's game is the most similar to Sampras whom he tries to emulate and for whom he is occasionally a hitting partner. so Annacone is a tad biased on this one.

TheBoiledEgg
10-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Alex Bogomolov Jr :D

Nimi
10-01-2002, 01:17 PM
Dent is more than a serve, you havent seen him play if thats your opinion.
As someone said: "Like a small Rafter in the makings".
I dont belive Dent will be amazing, but i think he will win about 10 titles & might braek the top 10.
Anyways, almost everyone who voted Blake are very biased.

Experimentee
10-01-2002, 02:40 PM
I dont think Andy has what it takes. He's got nothing but a half decent serve and groundstrokes, and hes terrible at net. He'll do ok if he gets some better coaching, but right now i dont see it.
Blake on the other hand has some real talent and his game has improved at a much faster rate than Andy's lately. I think he'll be the better player, and i dont think we need to talk about anyone else because these two are clearly the only prospects.

AmErIcAn
10-01-2002, 07:45 PM
A-Rod Will be Great! So Will James!!!!

Daniel
10-01-2002, 08:38 PM
Andy Roddick

Nacho
10-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Omg, you gotta love that 5th option :D

mitchster
10-02-2002, 04:34 AM
I think that it will eventually be Blake who has the better career...Roddick has started off more quickly and I think he'll pick up his game a bit next year and will have more success in the near future, but I dont' really think he has the staying power to be at the top for long. Other players will continue to adjust to his power game....and then there's just his style of play, which is gonna give him more injury problems in the future. Blake will keep improving his game steadily, working on his weeknesses, and I think he'll end up with the better career overall. However, I dont' see either one as the #1 player and multiple Grand Slam winner that many American commentators like to think ;)
Taylor Dent :rolleyes: the talent is there, he does have more than a serve but he doesn't seem to want to improve his game. I don't see him as a top player in the future, he might show a couple of flashes of brilliance, but he wont' be going anywhere big.
I havent' seen enough of Fish to say much.
I like Morrison's game, but I doubt if he'll make it too far either

J. Corwin
10-03-2002, 09:00 AM
I voted for the fifth option. But if I had to pick an American, I would choose Roddick. But I think Blake is very close behind. Roddick's improvement (or at least progress in rankings and performance at tourneys) has drastically slowed down. He had a magnificent rookie year, no doubt...one of the best in history. But his sophomore year just wasn't up to par to follow up on such a big first year.

Blake has improved a lot recently, but will he continue to do so or has he reached his plateau? I think Blake can hold his own against Roddick but then again I haven't seen them play each other. I do know that Roddick has beaten Blake every time they met in the past, but I would like to see them play now. Maybe Blake does well against other opponents that I see him do well against but cannot handle Roddick's power game.

Dent has a very slim shot since I have yet to see him produce a good tournament result. Same for Morrison, Fish, and Ginepri (blah for the double bagel that Hewiit fed him)...

So yeah, I see Roddick as having the best career result out of all of them.

cheliste
10-04-2002, 02:25 AM
Tough! I was torn between Roddick and Blake. Andy had an amazing rookie year, went off to a good start but over the past months I've noticed that he has slowed down. And James Blake has improved tremendously this year but I'm also not sure if James has the ability to sustain it.
Anyway, I voted for Andy but James is a very close second choice.:)

harry_potter
10-04-2002, 09:35 AM
internation competition too tough :D i hope ;)

dots
10-07-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 1jackson2001

Blake has improved a lot recently, but will he continue to do so or has he reached his plateau? I think Blake can hold his own against Roddick but then again I haven't seen them play each other. I do know that Roddick has beaten Blake every time they met in the past, but I would like to see them play now. Maybe Blake does well against other opponents that I see him do well against but cannot handle Roddick's power game.

Dent has a very slim shot since I have yet to see him produce a good tournament result. Same for Morrison, Fish, and Ginepri (blah for the double bagel that Hewiit fed him)...

So yeah, I see Roddick as having the best career result out of all of them.

Andy does to James ...what Gambill does to Andy...It's all mental for Blake. :o
I actually agree with Paul that Taylor has the best potential of all the American players...when he's on he mixes well, serves hard, serves with placement, and generates a lot of power . :eek: Unfortunately, raw talent won't get him that far it seems. He lacks discipline, mental strength, good coaching, and self-belief.

William
10-24-2002, 02:31 PM
I really think Andy and Robby play the same style. And both have power serve but without a good placement. Placement of serve is more important than just power. Look at Andre!!

SanTaureau Fan
10-29-2002, 02:02 AM
Andy Roddick

trixy
09-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Well at this point i suppose u have 2 say roddick....although saying hes great is a tad premature :rolleyes:

James i would love 2 see him 2 well and i think recently hes realy sort of said 2 every1 that he doenst just want 2 be that good looking guy in the top thirty. I'm gonna be looking out 4 him in australia.

Dent i was watchin his match against agassi and boy is he more than a serve but the poor guy gets so many injurys :sad:

Mardy i have a bit of a personal bias here but i really think he has something he did really well in one of the masters series i forget which one before the open.

ginepri he just annoys me so i dont think ill be able to give a proper view.

J. Corwin
09-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Well at this point i suppose u have 2 say roddick....although saying hes great is a tad premature :rolleyes:

James i would love 2 see him 2 well and i think recently hes realy sort of said 2 every1 that he doenst just want 2 be that good looking guy in the top thirty. I'm gonna be looking out 4 him in australia.

Dent i was watchin his match against agassi and boy is he more than a serve but the poor guy gets so many injurys :sad:

Mardy i have a bit of a personal bias here but i really think he has something he did really well in one of the masters series i forget which one before the open.

ginepri he just annoys me so i dont think ill be able to give a proper view.

Masters Cincinnati

andylover_16
09-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Ginepri? hewitt made him look like a beginner. i have no faith -- altho' he is young and i shouldn't write him off.

__________________________________________________ ___________

ginepri turns 21 this year....not much younger than andy......and how can anyone say blake will end up having the best career...example... just look at the stats between himself and andy......

overall standings
Blake, James (0-7) Roddick, Andy

27 2003 race position 1

187 2003 race points 807

12/28/1979 date of birth 8/30/1982

1999 turned pro 2000

31/22 ytd won/lost 62/13

0 ytd titles 6

1 career titles 11

$1,435,593 prize money $4,620,311

blake is also three years older and turned pro a year before andy did......whats the excuse now?:rolleyes: