The World Athletics Thread (Blake fastest ever 100m in a headwind) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The World Athletics Thread (Blake fastest ever 100m in a headwind)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes, I know most of them are drugged up with something and as much as I hate that aspect, I still appreciate the sport, like anything some events more than other.

It's good that the Champs are in Osaka, better time for me to watch it. They usually try harder at the these Champs before the Olympics, whereas the one after the Olympics, aren't as good usually.

Talk about your heroes, ones you love to hate and whatever event, except the race walk which is only entertaining when there are disqualifications.

This sprinter from Slovenia, Alenka Bikar won't win any medals, but she wins in other areas, as shown below.

j-KzCNDJlJk

YYrdCLd3BwM

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Good to see Asafa Powell back running again, though he has had limited preparation and Tyson Gay has stepped up in the 100m to challenge him.

Naide
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Kluft and Isinbayeva are my fave :rocker2:

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Isinbayeva, she is even more dominant than Federer in her event, it will take something special for her not to win another major medal, but they will catch up to her eventually.

Naide
08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Isinbayeva, she is even more dominant than Federer in her event, it will take something special for her not to win another major medal, but they will catch up to her eventually.

The thing is that we don't know how high she can really go, it's all about records and bluff but for me, the others can't reach her level.
There won't be a new queen until she retires, unless she's injured :sad: which of course i hope won't occur.

bad gambler
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Steve Hooker for gold in the pole vault!!!

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
The thing is that we don't know how high she can really go, it's all about records and bluff but for me, the others can't reach her level.
There won't be a new queen until she retires, unless she's injured :sad: which of course i hope won't occur.

she is the best, no doubt, however women pole vault is a new discipline (that's why she breaks so much records :p), so probably she won't hold the record for much time after her retirement.

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 01:50 PM

She follows the Bubka method, improve the record by 1cm and get more cash in doing so. This being said Bubka only ever 1 Olympic Gold which isn't enough for a man of his abilities.

All it takes for the wind not to be right, an injury beforehand, but she is so clear of everyone in the event it's not funny.

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Steve Hooker for gold in the pole vault!!!

He's better than Burgess, who seems to freeze on the big occasion, though Burgess has cleared the magical 6m barrier.

Apart from Pittman on the track, the Aussies to get any medals need to do it in the field events.

Naide
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
she is the best, no doubt, however women pole vault is a new discipline (that's why she breaks so much records :p), so probably she won't hold the record for much time after her retirement.

:p As long as she has it when she is in the competition, it's ok for me :lol:

My lovely swede team Olsson-Bergqvist-Kluft-Kristiansson-Holm

And Doucouré of course!

SloKid
08-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Bikar :worship: :lol:

We also have Snežana Rodić (now married to former Portsmouth player Aleksander Rodić), who will compete in triple jump, which is quite an achievement since she's coming back after giving birth to her first child.
She's quite the looker too:
http://www.siol.net/Doc/Img/10081010508282048130-1-12-3-1.jpg

rosespower
08-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Andreas Thorkildsen:worship:

Marian Oprea:D

JMG
08-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Pitkämäki :worship:

Nathaliia
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Big hooray for the athletics thread!

Korzeniowski, brilliant walker, awful sport TV boss :retard:

I guess if Pyrek doesn't win a medal, we won't have any medal.

Meseret Defar :worship: Dibaba sisters :inlove: Kenenisa Bekele :music: Christian Olsson :p

PamposCypriot
08-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I love athletics and this is my all time fave athlete... Michael Johnson

http://www.sini.co.uk/news/images/michael.jpg

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Thorkildsen is the only Norwegian hope for a medal at the Champs, the good ones we had are retired now and maybe he can medal again.

http://www.postimees.ee/foto/3/8/4628344d1f0b81ba8c.jpg

His girlfriend is a 20 yr old hurdler from Norway, Vukicevic, but apart from that we are crap.

Steinar Hoen should come out of retirement. The mens high jump is a joke, when you see these clowns not clearing 2,28 in perfect conditions there are problems.

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I love athletics and this is my all time fave athlete... Michael Johnson

http://www.sini.co.uk/news/images/michael.jpg

Eddie Murphy.

SloKid
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Tatyana Lysenko, world record holder in hammer throw failed a dope test in May, will not take part in Osaka. Ekaterina Khoroshikh, former U23 hammer throw champion, also failed a test.

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks to Milan for this one as well, the woman with the great white hair Jolanda Ceplak failed a test for EPO.

Speaking of other testing failures. Has Kostas Kederis actually retired, it seems he is free to compete now, but is probably still in hiding or has got fat.

Then there was the Turkish female runner Ayhan who should be back at some point soon after her husband interfered with drug testing.

Andre♥
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Speaking of other testing failures. Has Kostas Kederis actually retired, it seems he is free to compete now, but is probably still in hiding or has got fat.

Oh I would love to see Obikwelu ripping his ass a new one in the 200m. :sad:

About Portugal: Obikwelu looks clearly the big contender for the bronze medal in the 100m behind Powell and Gay and in the 200m, he may get silver behind Gay. He pretends to go back to 400m (his original race) next year. I have no idea if Naide Gomes is going for the heptathlon or just the long jump. Either way she should get a medal. Nelson Evora is also a big contender for a medal in triple jump. Other chances of medals are Rui Silva (1500m), who ends up getting bronze in every big competition and in the Marathon, where we are the Kenya of Europe and we end up having someone close to the medals all the time.

As long as Mutola gets another medal, I'll be happy.

Well, I want Wariner to win but that's a lock unless his competitors run less 50m than him! :p

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Mutola she is stronger than most blokes, she should get a medal of some colour. Can Obikwelu speak Portuguese?

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Here is the great Brazilian hope in the triple jump Jadel Gregorio who has jumped 17,90 this year, but can he do it when it counts.

This man has huge thighs.

http://www.usp.br/eef/lob/jump/1277_jadel.jpg

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Thorkildsen is the only Norwegian hope for a medal at the Champs, the good ones we had are retired now and maybe he can medal again.

http://www.postimees.ee/foto/3/8/4628344d1f0b81ba8c.jpg

It's always interesting seeing him competing with the Finn :yeah:
Here is the great Brazilian hope in the triple jump Jadel Gregorio who has jumped 17,90 this year, but can he do it when it counts.

This man has huge thighs.

http://www.usp.br/eef/lob/jump/1277_jadel.jpg

:yeah:

Fabiana Murer :hearts:
http://www.cbat.org.br/imagens_news/2053.jpg
a hope for a medal in ploe vault. She is trainning with Petrov, Isinbayeva's coach

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Javelin throwing is the king in Finland and they have had so many World and Olympic champs at this event.

I remember this as a kid, one of the greatest ever moments in Finnish sport. Tiina Lillak last throw of the competition, she threw 70m and the former leader was crying after this throw.

Fastest victory lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_Vu1ZenYU

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Javelin throwing is the king in Finland and they have had so many World and Olympic champs at this event.

I remember this as a kid, one of the greatest ever moments in Finnish sport. Tiina Lillak last throw of the competition, she threw 70m and the former leader was crying after this throw.

Fastest victory lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_Vu1ZenYU

yes, a Finn took a gold medal from Zelezny :(
it looks like the Czechs don't have someone to succeed him, but they have Spotaková who will be fighting for the win. And Zatopek's wife was a great javelin thrower too, wasn't she?

nice, touching moments of sport :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
That was Tapio Korjus in 88 and Seppo Räty won 87.

Straby
08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Interesting GP meeting in Stockholm today in the build-up to the World Champs.

Wariner with 43:50 on the 400m. :eek:

Vlasic with 2.07m on the high jump. :eek:

And Felix beat Richards on the 400m women. :yeah:

I know Richards isn't going to compete on the 400m in Osaka. Anyone know whether Felix will start on the 400m besides the 200m?

Purple Rainbow
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Vlasic nearly broke the WR. Impressive stuff!

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Thor made 89.49m, the second came with a 83.26 best :yeah:

I don't have info about Felix.

Action Jackson
08-07-2007, 07:40 PM
What's Vlasic on, she jumped 2,05 the other week and now 2,07, the question is has she peaked too soon. Bergqvist is going to have to pull something out very soon.

Xavier Carter is the only one who can push Wariner to a degree and even then, it's not really being pushed.

Nathaliia
08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes, Vlasic was great...

Anyway this stadium is very near the tennis courts of ATP tournament and I have photos there :D

As for men, the usual low-jump contest and Holm doing some funny hip shaking :tape:

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
low jump :tape: :spit:

I still have hopes on Baba, he is back from injury but jumping very bad.

Nathaliia
08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Looks like Janku got injured today.

Zirconek
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Looks like Janku got injured today.

:awww: at his age even :(
the bald guy, Ton, is performing crappy recently :tape:

Nathaliia
08-08-2007, 10:45 AM
And just saw the relay in Stockholm, Polish guys, perfectly crapped :worship:

Andre♥
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Can Obikwelu speak Portuguese?

Of course. He's in here since he was a teenager.

Andre♥
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I love Holm because he is short and wins the competition made for tall men! :lol:

Naide Gomes is just going for the long jump. Great choice. She's getting closer to the 7.00m mark.

Nelson Evora has done 17.51m in the triple jump and 8.10 in the long jump this year. He's going to both, but he will just use the long jump as a warm up.

Andre♥
08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
OMG!!!

Looks like Naide jumped 7.01m in Madrid! :eek:

EDIT: It's true!!!

http://www.rtp.pt/index.php?article=291758&visual=16&rss=0

And she's an heptathlon girl! I wonder if she will forget it and stay in the long jump forever.

Alvarillo
08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Spain has few options of medals. We get a lot of medals in European Championships but not in the WCH because our best events are dominated by Africans in the World ....

Anyway, our best options are:

Pakillo Fernández - 20 KM Walk Race
Ruth Beitia - Some days ago she jumped 2.02 in High Jump
Higuero or Casado in 1.500m
Mario Pestano in Discus Throw
And maybe possibilities in Men 50 Walk Race and Marathon

but it will be very tough for us :rolleyes:
We will miss Marta Domínguez a lot :sad:

delsa
08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
The poor Salim Sdiri won't be there...

But i hope Doucouré will refind his form until then.

Andre♥
08-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Spain has few options of medals. We get a lot of medals in European Championships but not in the WCH because our best events are dominated by Africans in the World ....

Anyway, our best options are:

Pakillo Fernández - 20 KM Walk Race
Ruth Beitia - Some days ago she jumped 2.02 in High Jump
Higuero or Casado in 1.500m
Mario Pestano in Discus Throw
And maybe possibilities in Men 50 Walk Race and Marathon

but it will be very tough for us :rolleyes:
We will miss Marta Domínguez a lot :sad:

Marta is the athletics version of Arantxa. Fighting spirit at its best. She doesn't have a great potential, but she fights for her life and that's why I love her so much.

Casado is so boring. His 1500m tactics are annoying and it will be hard to see him handling the first position in the last lap with the Africans running for their lives.

They can give gold to Pakillo already.

High Jump and Discus Throw is a question of luck. A good moment and you have a medal. A bad first throw/jump and you're pretty much history.

Spain has a slight chance of a medal in the 3000m steeplechase. La Armada is very strong and ready to perform well in a slow race.

Alvarillo
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Marta is the athletics version of Arantxa. Fighting spirit at its best. She doesn't have a great potential, but she fights for her life and that's why I love her so much.

Casado is so boring. His 1500m tactics are annoying and it will be hard to see him handling the first position in the last lap with the Africans running for their lives.

They can give gold to Pakillo already.

High Jump and Discus Throw is a question of luck. A good moment and you have a medal. A bad first throw/jump and you're pretty much history.

Spain has a slight chance of a medal in the 3000m steeplechase. La Armada is very strong and ready to perform well in a slow race.

This year our runners in 3000m steeplechase are not performing well and now in Europe is also the swede that was close to beat the European record yesterday and has the second best european mark ever some weeks ago .... sooo very difficult ....

Yes Ruth and Mario is a question of luck, hope they have, they deserve it!!
Also is a woman in 3000 steeplechase, Rosa Morató with the 4th European mark this year, but i can't see her winning a medal, maybe she could beat the national record in a fast race ;)

I'm amazed with Naide and Nelson, i belive that thet can give very nice moments for Portugal in Osaka, i saw them in Madrid and :eek:

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Of course. He's in here since he was a teenager.

You'd be surprised how many of these athletes don't know the language of the country they represent.

I seriously doubt whether Mark McCoy speaks German, but he won a gold for Austria.

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, Vlasic was great...

Anyway this stadium is very near the tennis courts of ATP tournament and I have photos there :D

As for men, the usual low-jump contest and Holm doing some funny hip shaking :tape:

It's an old stadium and I remember when Patrik Sjoberg jumped 2,42 on his final jump.

Stefan Holm has jumped 2,40 but it was indoors and he is only about 1,83m just makes it so much better that jump, but it really is the low jump at the moment.

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
The Winner Takes it all and not the ABBA song, this is what happens when Patrik Sjöberg, Carlo Tränhardt, Jerome Carter and Dietmar Mögenburg all decide they are talented in other areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEf7na79eUY

SloKid
08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
We also have Snežana Rodić (now married to former Portsmouth player Aleksander Rodić), who will compete in triple jump, which is quite an achievement since she's coming back after giving birth to her first child.
She's quite the looker too:
http://www.siol.net/Doc/Img/10081010508282048130-1-12-3-1.jpg
Well unfortunately Rodić won't compete out of personal reasons, apparently leaving a small kid at home for 3 weeks is not an option. :lol:

But she will be replaced by the great Merlene Ottey. :worship:

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Merlene Ottey, she will be almost 100 by now and still looking good.

Andre♥
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
This year our runners in 3000m steeplechase are not performing well and now in Europe is also the swede that was close to beat the European record yesterday and has the second best european mark ever some weeks ago .... sooo very difficult ....

I'm amazed with Naide and Nelson, i belive that thet can give very nice moments for Portugal in Osaka, i saw them in Madrid and :eek:

The Swedish guy called Mustafa Mohammed. Typical Swedish name! :haha:

The jumps are a question of luck. Let's hope they jump for a medal.

You'd be surprised how many of these athletes don't know the language of the country they represent.

I seriously doubt whether Mark McCoy speaks German, but he won a gold for Austria.

I can't imagine Mustafa Mohammed speaking Swedish! :lol:

Merlene Ottey, she will be almost 100 by now and still looking good.

My hero. 47 years old and still going! :worship:

Andre♥
08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Portugal lacks a great Marathon runner.

Antonio Pinto seems to have retired. He has still the European record of the Marathon that he got in London.

We seem to have good prospects now, let's see if they win some european/world championships, like we used to win in the 80's and 90's.

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I can't imagine Mustafa Mohammed speaking Swedish! :lol:

He speaks perfect Swedish and lives in a small city, he was born in Somalia, but his language skills are fine.

There are lots of Muslims in Sweden.

Andre♥
08-09-2007, 03:55 PM
He speaks perfect Swedish and lives in a small city, he was born in Somalia, but his language skills are fine.

There are lots of Muslims in Sweden.

Wow! :eek:

Yeah, but when you think about a Swedish guy you see Olsson or Holm, not a guy like Mustafa!

But I like him!

Btw isn't Saif Saaeed Shaheen running this year? The guy that Qatar bought! :lol:

Action Jackson
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow! :eek:

Yeah, but when you think about a Swedish guy you see Olsson or Holm, not a guy like Mustafa!

But I like him!

Btw isn't Saif Saaeed Shaheen running this year? The guy that Qatar bought! :lol:

Well it's funny cause he lives in a very small place, lots of Muhammeds in Malmo, Norrkoping, Gothenburg and Stockholm.

You mean Stephen Cherono? I don't acknowledge the Saeed Shaheen thing, especially since he trains with Kenyans, his brother still competes and he is just a mercenary, probably doesn't even know the words to the anthem.

Andre♥
08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
You mean Stephen Cherono? I don't acknowledge the Saeed Shaheen thing, especially since he trains with Kenyans, his brother still competes and he is just a mercenary, probably doesn't even know the words to the anthem.

Yep. His sold out is such a joke! :lol:

He isn't retired but he didn't run this season. Injury?

Zirconek
08-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Antonio Pinto seems to have retired. He has still the European record of the Marathon that he got in London.

you mean best time, not record :p

Andre♥
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
you mean best time, not record :p

Yeah :p

Btw your long jump doper is back! :eek:

Maggi is her name, I think.

Zirconek
08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah :p

Btw your long jump doper is back! :eek:

Maggi is her name, I think.

yes, and she is pretty good without any forbidden substance :)
and is already jumping very well
it's a shame what happened, although she says it was an accident, as expected (she says it was a gynecologic balm she used), but i'm not sure of her innocence

Zirconek
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
It's funny Ben Johnson was always called as Canadian, after his doping cases, he became the Jamaican naturalizated Canadian :lol:

Carl Lewis was another doper, but a lucky one
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.html

LK_22
08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Found the thread Edu! :yeah: :p

Very true but she is that good her powers would have to wane slightly in my opinion for the rest of the field to catch up, she takes the world record to higher standards for fun and for a big payday (she deserves it for being that good)
A comparision I would give (not a good one for non Brits I know) is Phil Taylor standards have dropped slightly for the rest of the field to catch up

I hope Devonish (Coventry kid! :banana:) has a strong games, Britain will really struggle

Zirconek
08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Found the thread Edu! :yeah: :p

Very true but she is that good her powers would have to wane slightly in my opinion for the rest of the field to catch up, she takes the world record to higher standards for fun and for a big payday (she deserves it for being that good)
A comparision I would give (not a good one for non Brits I know) is Phil Taylor standards have dropped slightly for the rest of the field to catch up

I hope Devonish (Coventry kid! :banana:) has a strong games, Britain will really struggle

Hey Liam! :wavey:

what would you like to tell us about the events you compete?
Do you use team tatics?
How do you call the runner who goes fast at the beginning, just to push the others (especially from other teams) to make them tired? Here we call them "rabbit".

LK_22
08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey Liam! :wavey:

what would you like to tell us about the events you compete?
Do you use team tatics?
How do you call the runner who goes fast at the beginning, just to push the others (especially from other teams) to make them tired? Here we call them "rabbit".

Hi Edu :yeah:

Unfortunately I don't really compete on the track, I do and will train on the track when I'm at uni in speed sessions but I'm more of a long distance runner

At the moment I've been running in 5 mile, 6 mile and 10km (about 6.2 miles) road races, over the winter the focus is on cross country races, with a few more road races
I'm doing my first 10 mile race next month, bit nervous about that :)

Team tactics don't really come into longer distance running, the only thing I can think of is running with clubmates that are of similar ability if there are any, it's a fine line because you can either end up running too slow or too fast too soon otherwise, and run out of steam
Yeah we call them the 'hare' :p although going too fast at the start happens to all runners in so many races, it's more often the inexperienced ones that it happens too more often. The more races you do, the easier it gets
I've got to go I'm training at 7! :wavey: :p

oz_boz
08-12-2007, 04:42 PM
:woohoo:

Athletics is great to watch, although the usual doping suspicions ruin a few things as always.

Great to be Swede these days too, Klüft, Olsson, Holm, Bergqvist, Mustafa, Wissman, and the two and only Kallur sisters :inlove:

Somehow I suspect though that the team will not live up to expectations - Holm is consistent but ofter comes up short:), Olsson isn't the best after injury, Vlasic seems to be a lock for gold or even WR, and even Klüft doesn't own the world best anymore (although she'll likely deliver at crunch time).

As for other nations - go Bekele (can he break the impossible 3000 rec with the right pace?) and Isinbajeva :inlove:. Torkildsen also GWH :yeah: But a comeback for Hoen, well, he only made 2,35 himself so not that much better than these days although he could have taken last years WC - 2,32 :ras:

Action Jackson
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Athletics is great to watch, although the usual doping suspicions ruin a few things as always.

As for other nations - go Bekele (can he break the impossible 3000 rec with the right pace?) and Isinbajeva :inlove:. Torkildsen also GWH :yeah: But a comeback for Hoen, well, he only made 2,35 himself so not that much better than these days although he could have taken last years WC - 2,32 :ras:

Olsson has some competition, but I think he can do well this time around and Isinbayeva is pretty, though she is a bit like Sharapova for me and that's not good.

Hoen did 2,36, still better than these clowns.

Naide
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM

even Klüft doesn't own the world best anymore (although she'll likely deliver at crunch time).

She will kick asses :armed:, don't worry

Neely
08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
This is only a cockandbull fairytale which is told sometimes incorrectly, but this gold never happened.

Even though McCoy had a German girlfriend for some time, he later only came for business reasons and couldn't speak that much German at all during his active time. No idea how and what he was doing later.

Action Jackson
08-14-2007, 07:44 AM
This is only a cockandbull fairytale which is told sometimes incorrectly, but this gold never happened.

Even though McCoy had a German girlfriend for some time, he later only came for business reasons and couldn't speak that much German at all during his active time. No idea how and what he was doing later.

The gold medal happened and he was competing for Austria when he won it. It was no fairytale.

Irrespective of the reasons behind like it, like the Cherono and Qatar sell out.

Neely
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
The gold medal happened and he was competing for Austria when he won it. It was no fairytale.
Yes, maybe a Gold medal in the Austrian national indoor championships.

But I know quite for sure that this guy won nothing of notice for Austria because as he finally became Austrian, he already sucked and was in the winter of his career. What people confuse is his gold medal for Canada 1992, but he only lived in Austria by then, but he was still a Canadian citizen as the naturalization took much longer back then.

Action Jackson
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, maybe a Gold medal in the Austrian national indoor championships.

But I know quite for sure that this guy won nothing of notice for Austria because as he finally became Austrian, he already sucked and was in the winter of his career. What people confuse is his gold medal for Canada 1992, but he only lived in Austria by then, but he was still a Canadian citizen as the naturalization took much longer back then.

He is back in Canada now and yes he was in Austria then, but just checked the records and he was competing for Canada while living in Austria.

oz_boz
08-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Olsson has some competition, but I think he can do well this time around and Isinbayeva is pretty, though she is a bit like Sharapova for me and that's not good.

Hoen did 2,36, still better than these clowns.

Pova's media image is much more fabricated than Jelena's IMO.

Hoen 2,36, not that impressive but like you say still better than today's clowns - the Donald Thomas effect is laughable. A guy who hasn't trained for ore than a year jumps higher than the pros :lol: I actually like Holm's chances after DNgalan. I was no fan of him before but he shut even me up with his Olympic Gold - which Sjöberg never won - and even more impressive his 2,40I. I didn't believe for a second he would jump that high, his remmarkable consistency was impressive in its way but wouldn't win him Championships.

Didn't Norway have somewhat of a golden era in the nineties? Hoen, Moen (at least in EC), Rodal (although Kipketer should have won in Atlanta), Hattestad, Haugland when women's high jump was weak.

Kolya
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Good luck to Ivan Heshko!!!

Neely
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
BTW, did somebody see the javelin accident, about a month ago, at the Golden League meeting in Rome?
A long jumper was hit by a javelin which flew out of the sector and you could see that the peak stuck in the right side of his lower back. It looked very scary.

I thought this guy got away extremely lucky that he didn't have any very severe injuries after that. If I remember correctly he was released from hospital already a few hours later and didn't need any surgery.

Naide
08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
BTW, did somebody see the javelin accident, about a month ago, at the Golden League meeting in Rome?
A long jumper was hit by a javelin which flew out of the sector and you could see that the peak stuck in the right side of his lower back. It looked very scary.

I thought this guy got away extremely lucky that he didn't have any very severe injuries after that. If I remember correctly he was released from hospital already a few hours later and didn't need any surgery.

Yes Salim Sdiri was hurt by Pitkamaki in his right kidney (10 cm deep) :eek:

Truc
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I thought this guy got away extremely lucky that he didn't have any very severe injuries after that. If I remember correctly he was released from hospital already a few hours later and didn't need any surgery.But he was released too quickly from the hospital. Of course he was lucky, but it was more serious than they first thought, he was really injured.
Here are a few quotes of him 2 weeks after his accident, when he's still in the hospital in Rome:
http://www.sport365.fr/la-une/article_183035_Sdiri-Cette-affaire-va-aller-tres-loin%85-.shtml
He sounds pretty mad at the Italian doctors - and also at Pitkämäki who didn't come to see him (but they said later he finally called him after that interview).

Neely
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
But he was released too quickly from the hospital. Of course he was lucky, but it was more serious than they first thought though, he was really injured.
Here are a few quotes of him 2 weeks after his accident, when he's still in the hospital in Rome:
http://www.sport365.fr/la-une/article_183035_Sdiri-Cette-affaire-va-aller-tres-loin%85-.shtml
He sounds pretty mad at the Italian doctors - and also at Pitkämäki who didn't come to see him (but they said later he finally called him after that interview).
Thanks for telling me, I didn't follow the story after that because I read the next morning in teletext that he was released and thought everything was going to be fine again. If you didn't tell me I would not have known about this, that there have been more struggles after this than the first news the day after would have indicated.

Sounds like typically Italian doctors or hospitals, I rate their system and organisation one of the worst in Europe. I mean this is a bad mistake then if they didn't discover that this was more severe or didn't examine him more deeply. It's not like he was cutting himself in the finger with a knife. A damn javelin was flying around 90m and then stuck in his body.

I was watching the event live at the time as it happened and as the ambulance came in, the lazy guy was walking out of it (opening the back door first) instead of running to where Sdiri was lying. Of course there were already people around him, but this doesn't mean he has to waste his time. I thought this was very strange.

Je ne peux même pas surfer sur internet, sauf quand un toubib m’autorise à utiliser son ordinateur…
Do I have to understand this sentence that they don't want him to use the internet or that he MAY NOT use it yet for medical reasons without a doctor allowing him? Do you know?

Truc
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I guess it just means they didn't have computers with Internet connection for the patients in that hospital.
And that was the problem with Pitkämäki, btw, Pitkämäki explained afterwards in L'Équipe he had sent 2 e-mails, but Salim obviously never got them. So after Salim's "little rant", the manager tried to find out a phone number and Pitkämäki called to apologize.

I completely agree for the rest, I saw it live too and some reactions seemed a bit strange. Also how everything was going on after the ambulance left, they all were acting as if it was no big deal, while it was really shocking to see even on TV.

allero
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I have not been following athletics a lot recently, but I suppose Liu Xiang is going to compete in Osaka....? How has his season been so far? Can he even further improve his WR?
I remember that two years ago he lost out to a French guy by a mere tenth of a second.:eek:

Action Jackson
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Pova's media image is much more fabricated than Jelena's IMO.

Hoen 2,36, not that impressive but like you say still better than today's clowns - the Donald Thomas effect is laughable. A guy who hasn't trained for more than a year jumps higher than the pros :lol: I actually like Holm's chances after DNgalan. I was no fan of him before but he shut even me up with his Olympic Gold - which Sjöberg never won - and even more impressive his 2,40I. I didn't believe for a second he would jump that high, his remmarkable consistency was impressive in its way but wouldn't win him Championships.

Didn't Norway have somewhat of a golden era in the nineties? Hoen, Moen (at least in EC), Rodal (although Kipketer should have won in Atlanta), Hattestad, Haugland when women's high jump was weak.

Agree about Pova's image.

Hoen was competing against top class jumpers like Partyka, Conway, Kemp, Austin, Sotomayor, Steve Smith and even before that with Paklin, Avydenko and Sjöberg. Hoen was consistent in his jumps and as Nathii is right that it is the mens low jump.

Holm has done so well considering the lack of height, and he has so much speed that helps him and I want to see jump 2,40 outside, it's easier to do it indoors.

Norway had their time and we only have Thorkildsen at the moment, as for Rodal he won the fastest 800m ever in a championship race the first 4 guys under 1,43 and Kipketer was at his best at that time, but he could have choked on the big day like he did in 2000.

Taz Warrior
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
GBR are really going to struggle at these champs and could end up with no medals although we do have some good youngsters coming through and Osaka could be good experience on the way to 2012.:sad:
I suppose our best chances for medals are the Men's 4x100m, Philips Idowo in the TJ and Jessica Ennis/Kelly Sotherton in the heptathlon

Zirconek
08-24-2007, 02:47 PM
It's coming :D :bounce:

http://osaka2007.iaaf.org/index.html

Action Jackson
08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Opening ceremony rubbish I don't care about, it begins on Saturday.

Vamos Asafa

maldini
08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Good luck to Viktor Röthlin tonight :rocker2:

Zirconek
08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
It's a shame Olsson had to pull out :sad:
I'd like to see Gregório doing better than him ;)

Action Jackson
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
It's a shame Olsson had to pull out :sad:
I'd like to see Gregório doing better than him ;)

Jadel would win if it was a battle of thighs.

Zirconek
08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Opening ceremony rubbish I don't care about, it begins on Saturday.

Vamos Asafa
Asafa :rocker2:
Jadel would win if it was a battle of thighs.
:lol:

Kolya
08-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Good luck to Viktor Röthlin tonight :rocker2:

Rothlin won bronze :yeah:

Can't believe Heshko failed to qualify for the 1500m :(

maldini
08-25-2007, 08:28 AM
:worship: Röthlin :worship:

Action Jackson
08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Good stuff from the Kibet winning the marathon and Kluft already has this event won.

Naide
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Kluft already has this event won.

I think so but you never know :p
Too bad Barber isn't here to scare her (and me) a little.

Action Jackson
08-25-2007, 09:05 AM
I think so but you never know :p
Too bad Barber isn't here to scare her (and me) a little.

Barber will always be the bridesmaid, hence she just doing the long jump only.

Kolya
08-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone know where Stefano Baldini is?

ClaudiuS
08-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Does anyone here know the results from Marco Antonio Verni??

maldini
08-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Anyone know where Stefano Baldini is?

i think he's out of form or something like that :shrug:

Neely
08-26-2007, 02:21 AM
unreal idiots, they assume it even could be a judge's fault that the German walker Höhne collapsed short before the finish because they couldn't count correctly and made him go extra distance ... this could have cost him a medal, he was third before going into the stadium rounds :mad: I hope they clear this quickly :o

Action Jackson
08-26-2007, 05:20 AM
I felt sorry for the Austrian steeplechaser Weidlinger who was tripped and as he was wearing glasses and fell into the hurdle and had his face full of blood.

:worship: Dibaba in the womens 10km race, cramping, fell behind for 30m after getting tangled up in a fall and wins the gold medal.

Great stuff from Reese Hoffa, he finally came through in a major championship and respect to any man that can juggle machetes and solve a Rubik cube in 45 seconds.

Kolya
08-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Congrats to Jefferson Perez!!! :yeah:

:haha: at Fernandez getting DQ.

Neely
08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, this guy crashed hard upon the hurdle, and this time it seemed like a good procedure with the first aid. As I heard he got away with no further demages on his teeth, head and bones. Hopefully this time no more surprises after the first diagnosis.

I saw some elemination heats of the women's 100m. Sometimes I wished I was from Mauritania, Palau, Afghanistan, Nauru, Cambodia, Micronesia or Djibouti and I had gotten the chance to finish 6th or 7th in some heats :)

bad gambler
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Asafa was cruising in the last 20 metres of the first semi final

Should be a good final. Win the gold son

Naide
08-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Yep go Asafa :rocker:

SloKid
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Matic Osovnikar :worship:

Naide
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Carro, simply the best :bowdown:

maldini
08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
congratulations to gay....

would have expected more of asafa though :shrug:

Andi-M
08-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Go GAY!!

Poor Asafa..he's soo cute!

Well done Kelly Southerton :woohoo:

ClaudiuS
08-26-2007, 02:01 PM
24th place for Verni :( not good.

anon57
08-26-2007, 02:03 PM
congratulations to gay....

would have expected more of asafa though :shrug:

Asafa Powell has never been able to perform in big finals. But congratulations to Gay.

bad gambler
08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Disappointing by Asafa but Gay handled the pressure better and won it easily in the end

Should be interesting what time he gets for the 200m, both Johnson's 200m & 400m WR's could be in threat these championships. Expect Gay and Wariner to both close the gap

Taz Warrior
08-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Kelly :woohoo: If only she could throw the javelin :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
08-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Tyson Gay, is a rarity an American sprinter who is not a dickhead, obviously he believed in his own abilities, but was not over the top.

Powell has his last chance in Beijing, he wasn't clear at the 50m and Gay's superior speed at the deceleration point was enough here.

Powell was beaten by his 2nd cousin Atkins.

SloKid
08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Matic Osovnikar was the first white sprinter in 20 years to reach the final of 100m.

Keep it together Kozmus, bring us the medal. :scared:
Looking great so far. :D

bad gambler
08-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Hopefully Gay's training partner wins the women's dash tonight :yeah:

maldini
08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
15 men jumped 2.29 today in men's high jump qualification...:eek:
not bad.....:yeah:

Action Jackson
08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
15 men jumped 2.29 today in men's high jump qualification...:eek:
not bad.....:yeah:

It's a joke that the qualie height is that low it should 2.31

Andre♥
08-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Nelson close to gives us a gold medal! :eek:

bad gambler
08-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Bekele was just playing with them, pure class :bigclap:

Nathaliia
08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Bekele tried to add some drama this time, just like Dibaba did :)

Jogy
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
and now line for the dope test you cheaters :(

especially the long distance and sprinter jerks :mad:

Kolya
08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Bekele had me worry today. But the greats always find a way to win.

Anyone see Baala in the 1500m finish?

He was pushing everyone, he did run a bad tactical race, getting himself boxed.

Neely
08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Would have loved to see two gold medals in the women's 100m, if they hardly could figure it out despite all technology from different angles and finally found something that Campbell was 2cm in front of Williams just because she had bigger boobs maybe that would have been as good then :p

Naide
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Veronica did good, Naide too, i really hope she'll take gold :D

Taz Warrior
08-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Great women's 100m final :yeah:
Bekele :worship:
Great performances by Evora and Tikhon too :)
Nicola Sanders in the 400 as well - a huge PB :eek:

martine2
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm very glad for Kim Gevaert that she made it to the women's 100m final :yeah:
She got a 5th place there, but for a Belgian athlete this is quite something and I'm proud of her. Big achievement after her European Champion title.

She's a sweet, very down to earth girl and she deserves it!!!

oz_boz
08-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Carro :rolls: Absolutely fabulous, best when it counts as always, beat the old USSR record at last (and Blonska too :ras:). Just take Beijing too and retire, nothing more to prove, J-K's WR is impossible to beat.

Bekele :worship:

Nice guy Gay worthy champ after Asafa's disappointing performance. But he won't get near MJ's 200 WR, 19,5 at best and even that would be great. (That distance was in such a drought when Kenteris the cheater won in Sydney, noone below 20 sec.) Wariner has a chance though, 43,18 is not quite as unbeatable.

GWH/ADR, I agree about Rodal-Kipketer.

Go Kallurs&Isinbajeva :inlove:

Heja Kajsa (but Blanka will take it)

Action Jackson
08-28-2007, 05:25 AM
and now line for the dope test you cheaters :(

especially the long distance and sprinter jerks :mad:

What the throwers and the jumpers don't take them either.

Action Jackson
08-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Too easy for Kluft and never in doubt for Bekele and a worthy successor the great Haile Gebrselassie.

Campbell showed Asafa Powell how to win a major race and big effort from Williams who turned up when it counted.

Neely
08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I've seen a lot of bullshit and misorganization already in these World Champs, walkers being misdirected, having trouble to post the correct results, wrong announcements, clearing the same facility for two jumpers at the same time so that they almost crash into each other. But yesterday, the hammer flying through the net and landing in the sandbox, a few meters short of where the first spectators or press people are sitting, just eclipsed it all.

:haha: Wariner cool as usual, never in doubt. He could have had a picnic before the finish line and showed this to all.

bad gambler
08-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Johnny Steffenson will bring home the gold......Wariner who??????

:rocker: :p

Action Jackson
08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Heia Musse the Somalian-Swede, if he can get a bronze medal in the steeple, then that's as good as winning it.

Adler
08-28-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't watch much of these patricular champs, but Dibaba ran great. The way she handled this Turkey girl, this whole sprint on the last lap was a classic

MariaV
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Estonia has a World champion now too - Gerd Kanter! :worship: :bowdown: :hatoff: That discus competition was some fun! :) And Alekna without a medal! :eek: :eek:

SloKid
08-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Jepkosgei with a great race on 800m. :worship:
Great finish by Benhassi and Martinez as well.
Langerholc very good in 5th. :D

Mutolaman :wavey:

Taz Warrior
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Mutola :sad:

MariaV
08-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Milan, congrats on Kosmus' silver in hammer throw yesterday. :hatoff:

SloKid
08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Milan, congrats on Kosmus' silver in hammer throw yesterday. :hatoff:
Thank you. :D Congrats on your gold today. :yeah:
Kozmus was more disappointed than happy yesterday, cause he lost gold in the last round. :lol:

Our next and last medal chance is with Marija Šestak in triple jump on Friday. :scared:

Adler
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
yeah... ONE bronze medal 400m hurdles :rolleyes:

Purple Rainbow
08-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Nice day for Russia and Kenya. Í've become a fan of Jepkosgei!

Meanwhile, Rutger Smith became the first athlete to win medals at a world cup in both the shot put and the discus! After his silver medal in shot put two years ago, he followed it up with a bronze at the discus competition today!

amdany
08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Fench athlets suck:o they have 0 medals:tape: :help: but I've faith on Ladji Doucouré even if he's not in great shape this year

Taz Warrior
08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
yeah... ONE bronze medal 400m hurdles :rolleyes:

Jesien looked good in the women's semi final as well - she's probably got a chance of the bronze :)

bad gambler
08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Rawlinson is running better than I had expected, should be a good final.

Action Jackson
08-29-2007, 05:09 AM
:worship: :worship: Jepkosgei!

That's how you run an 800m race, did it the right way, just took out from the front and lead all the way too bad she couldn't break the 1.56.

No surprise at the 1-2-3 for the Kenyans in the steeplechase, it's their event and Musse did well coming 4th.

Great stuff for the Estonians getting a gold and Alekna couldn't believe he missed out.

Jogy
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
What the throwers and the jumpers don't take them either.
I said in special these guys first

most Bekelele is suspicion because he has a manager that had already like 8 doping athletes before

or look at the sprint jerks

and in running the dope and wrong substances helps you the most (you can not make much errors in this events)

SloKid
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
How unfortunate for Holm. :(

A decent competition today though.

Aphex
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Pretty annoying couple of days for Swedes. 4th places are the worst. Wissman will probably be 4th in 400m final as well.:o

Neely
08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
What a great gold for Donald Thomas from the Bahamas in the high jump :worship: He barely escaped taking 2.33 and then took 2.35m on the first try which gave him the huge advantage over the rest.

You must imagine he didn't start high jumping until about the beginning of 2006 only. He played basketball at a little universtiy until some guys from the athletics teams discovered him during a basketball practice. He immediately jumped 2.13 in sneakers and baggy shorts without practice and not much later took 2.22m in his first event.

Pretty annoying couple of days for Swedes. 4th places are the worst. Wissman will probably be 4th in 400m final as well.:o
Especially Kallur really should have taken a medal, she was looking good until the last meters :o

oz_boz
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Dammit Stefan, what's his problem in WC? Thomas won :o

Wissman great run again. I wonder if the Swedish TV "expert commentator" will raise suspicions on him being doped now that he beat his old PB by half a second - just like she did with the greek 200 m runner yesterday? :scratch:

Sanna :sad: Too bad the cocky Perry won, but she was simply the best.

Especially Kallur really should have taken a medal, she was looking good until the last meters :o

She always looks good IMO ;)

Musse - late but :hatoff: just don't have the necessary kick to get a championship medal.

Neely
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Sanna :sad: Too bad the cocky Perry won, but she was simply the best.
really, is Perry that cocky? I watched her already in a few events before like Golden League and so, but she seemed to be quite okay to me.

She always looks good IMO ;)
yes, originally I meant her position in the race for most of the distance :p but if you were referring to her looks and if I may say that being female myself, she is much more attractive than Klüft IMO, although I have the feeling that many men think otherwise about that

rosespower
08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Javelin? Someone knows smth about it?

Neely
08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Javelin? Someone knows smth about it?
Today at night (our time) was the women's qualification, final will be on Friday or Saturday. The men didn't start yet.

Aphex
08-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Wissman great run again. I wonder if the Swedish TV "expert commentator" will raise suspicions on him being doped now that he beat his old PB by half a second - just like she did with the greek 200 m runner yesterday? :scratch:

:lol: ;)

bad gambler
08-29-2007, 10:52 PM
What a great gold for Donald Thomas from the Bahamas in the high jump :worship: He barely escaped taking 2.33 and then took 2.35m on the first try which gave him the huge advantage over the rest.

You must imagine he didn't start high jumping until about the beginning of 2006 only. He played basketball at a little universtiy until some guys from the athletics teams discovered him during a basketball practice. He immediately jumped 2.13 in sneakers and baggy shorts without practice and not much later took 2.22m in his first event.

Thomas was great to watch :lol:

His story is incredible, you can see he has no technique whatsoever but is a natural athlete

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Thomas proving what a joke the mens high jump competition is and in perfect conditions really 2.35m should not be winning gold medals.

In spite of this it was a great achievement by him had misses at 2.21 and that cowboy technique, yet he clears 2.35 on the first go.

Action Jackson
08-30-2007, 01:37 AM
I said in special these guys first

most Bekelele is suspicion because he has a manager that had already like 8 doping athletes before

or look at the sprint jerks

and in running the dope and wrong substances helps you the most (you can not make much errors in this events)

Jos Hermans manages everyone virtually, it's hard to be a distance athlete and not be managed by Hermans.

Like I said in the first post of this thread, the drug problem is rampant and concerns all disciplines.

Kolya
08-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Thomas is a joke.

Good win by Lagat in the 1500m. Webb ran a bad race, trying to lead all the way pretty much. Ramzi just got boxed and couldn't go past Lagat in the end.

Baala deserved to get DQ.

rosespower
08-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Today at night (our time) was the women's qualification, final will be on Friday or Saturday. The men didn't start yet.

Ok. cool so I didn't missed anything...

Aphex
08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
:worship: Eric Sjöqvist. Coolest Swede so far.

JMG
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Lobinger almost choked again, needed 3 attempts for 5,55. :o

Kolya
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Long jump was very exciting.

Neely
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Long jump was very exciting.
Dito! really very great men's long jumping competition! First Howe topped Saladino by 1 cm which was great. Then Saladino waiting for his final attempt already concentrating as I thought something insensible to him happened as they had to start a victory ceremony right in this moment. They could have waited another few seconds. As it was finally his turn, Saladino managed his attempt very well and topped Howe with an even bigger jump.

Really good finish this event, loved that! :yeah:

Thomas proving what a joke the mens high jump competition is and in perfect conditions really 2.35m should not be winning gold medals.
Not really anything new. If you watched the last 10 years or so you will notice it wasn't much different for a long time, sometimes even lower heights got a WC or Olympic gold medal than in this one.

Thomas was great to watch :lol:

His story is incredible, you can see he has no technique whatsoever but is a natural athlete
Alone his running start and "flip" over the bar would deserve a gold medal :worship:

Lobinger almost choked again, needed 3 attempts for 5,55. :o
True, a choker at his best in such events, he is only good in meaningless indoor events or in German national events. A few years ago in Olympics or World Champs he didn't even manage 5.50 or so.

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 09:06 PM
punny quote after 100m

Powell 'I felt Gay coming on my shoulder and that's when I panicked: it slowed me down'

Andi-M
08-30-2007, 10:41 PM
punny quote after 100m

Powell 'I felt Gay coming on my shoulder and that's when I panicked: it slowed me down'

:haha:

Burrow
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
punny quote after 100m

ha

Burrow
08-30-2007, 11:43 PM
A walking championship?

This is fucking ridiculous.

They are god damn jogging.

scarecrows
08-30-2007, 11:46 PM
A walking championship?

worst athletics discipline ever

if my son decides to do this sport I'll close him in the attic and feed him with rotten fish

Neely
08-31-2007, 02:20 AM
:lol: :spit:

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 05:38 AM
punny quote after 100m

For a very religious man, this is very naughty.

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
Not really anything new. If you watched the last 10 years or so you will notice it wasn't much different for a long time, sometimes even lower heights got a WC or Olympic gold medal than in this one.

You are proving my point it has been a shit competition for years and yes 2.35 outdoors is a joke height to win a gold medal, unless the runway is wet or there are gale force winds.

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 05:41 AM
A walking championship?

It's a novelty event, they might as well have the egg and spoon race.

Kolya
08-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Don't pay out the walking event :D Korzeniowski will be disappointed.

Go Nathan Deakes in the 50km walk :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Some of the walkers are quite attractive, at the same time it's the time to make some food when the event is on.

The womens hammer throw and congrats to Betty Heidler winning by 2cm and unlike most of the others, she actually looks like a woman, so that helps. Yipsi Moreno was funny with all the screams and the facial contortions, but took defeat well.

Tyson Gay and Bolt that was a good 200m race, Bolt needed to be in front on the bend, but Gay was the better man and Spearmon fucked the start and still got a medal.

SloKid
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
yes, originally I meant her position in the race for most of the distance :p but if you were referring to her looks and if I may say that being female myself, she is much more attractive than Klüft IMO, although I have the feeling that many men think otherwise about that
I find Kallur better looking, both of them. :hearts:
Kluft is "overrented" in the looks department. :lol:

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I find Kallur better looking, both of them. :hearts:
Kluft is "overrented" in the looks department. :lol:

Kallur is definitely better looking than Kluft, but Kluft isn't bad in her own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-x9gPZrIUI

MariaV
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
A walking championship?

I've said it for some time now that walking should be banned from the World Champs.

if my son decides to do this sport I'll close him in the attic and feed him with rotten fish

WTF was that with Pitkämäki in the javelin qualies? :rolleyes:
Is he going to fail at the most important moment YET AGAIN? :( Better not!

SloKid
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-x9gPZrIUI
Thank god for Saladino is all I can say. :o

Also if I were Saladino I would totally go and taunt Howe. :tape:

Action Jackson
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Thank god for Saladino is all I can say. :o

He handled the occasion very well and showed classy behaviour.

It reminds me of the old American sprinters the way he carried on and Tyson Gay in that regard wasn't too bad.

Thorkildsen made the final as expected.

SloKid
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Felix easily wins the 200m.

Edwards without a medal again. :haha: Jayasinghe came out of nowhere in the last 50m to snatch it from her, great running by the veteran. :worship:

maldini
08-31-2007, 12:31 PM

:spit:

nice 200 m from felix :worship:

MatchFederer
08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Congrats to the peerless (ATM) Jeremy Wariner in winning the 400 metres comfortably and in a time of 43.45 seconds, making him the third fastest 400 metre runner in history behind the GREAT Michael Johnson and Harry Reynolds. He handles the pressure extremely well and put in a great run. His first 200 metres were done in the low 21 seconds and his speed endurance down the home stretch was excellent as always.

Michael Johnson, who is working with the BBC for this World Championships, essentially said that it is not a case of IF Jeremy would break his 400 metre WR but WHEN. Johnson was clearly very proud of Wariner and acts as his agent. :D

GREAT STUFF!

Also

Liu Xiang was tremendous in the 110 metres hurdles final. Trammell of the USA got the better start, as you would expect with him being the best flat sprinter. Liu Xiang's almost flawless technique and ability to plant his lead leg to the floor after each hurdle in the fastest possible time eventually allowed him to overtake Trammell to take the gold with a time of 12.95. Tremell managed silver in 12.99 and Payne, the surprise US package who only got a call to say he could compete in the Championships about 2 days before, got the bronze with a time of 13.02. This race was high quality! Liu Xiang was in lane 9 and was able to run his own race and not be perturbed by the blazing start of Trammell.

Some excellent times are being produced in this WCs.

GREAT STUFF. :D

Louche
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Yay for Jeremy. A classy guy and nice that Johnson is his mentor. :yeah:

Also hope that Liu Xiang will take the gold in Beijing. It will be huge. :D

Kolya
09-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Congrats to Deakes winning the 50km walk :yeah:

:p

bad gambler
09-01-2007, 05:39 AM
Could actually be a decent Saturday for Australia in terms of medals with both Mottram in the 5,000m and Hooker in the pole vault to come.

scarecrows
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
who was that finish athlete in the 50km walk that finished 15 minutes behind but still was cheering like he won a medal?

Kolya
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
IAAF.org
1 201 Nathan Deakes [AUSTRALIA] AUS 3:43:53 (SB)
2 107 Yohan Diniz [FRANCE] FRA 3:44:22 (SB)
3 128 Alex Schwazer [ITALY] ITA 3:44:38 .
4 205 Denis Nizhegorodov [RUSSIA] RUS 3:46:57 .
5 112 Erik Tysse [NORWAY] NOR 3:51:52 (PB)
6 212 Mikel Odriozola [SPAIN] ESP 3:55:19 (SB)
7 220 Chao Sun [PR OF CHINA] CHN 3:55:43 .
8 207 Trond Nymark [NORWAY] NOR 3:57:22 .
9 218 Horacio Nava [MEXICO] MEX 3:58:17 .
10 243 Jarkko Kinnunen [FINLAND] FIN 3:58:22 (SB)
11 247 Antti Kempas [FINLAND] FIN 3:59:34 .
12 232 Donatas Škarnulis [LITHUANIA] LTU 3:59:48 .
13 224 Eddy Riva [FRANCE] FRA 4:00:44 .
14 225 David Boulanger [FRANCE] FRA 4:01:30 .
15 227 António Pereira [PORTUGAL] POR 4:02:09 .
16 240 Ken Akashi [JAPAN] JPN 4:02:31 .
17 238 Yusuke Yachi [JAPAN] JPN 4:05:21 .
18 239 Diego Cafagna [ITALY] ITA 4:06:03 .
19 236 Tim Berrett [CANADA] CAN 4:06:47 .
20 244 Jesús Sánchez [MEXICO] MEX 4:07:14 .
21 219 Grzegorz Sudol [POLAND] POL 4:07:48 (SB)
22 231 Miloš Bátovský [SLOVAK REPUBLIC] SVK 4:08:22 .
23 256 Nenad Filipovic [SERBIA] SRB 4:12:11 .
24 249 Chris Erickson [AUSTRALIA] AUS 4:13:00 .
25 255 Konstadínos Stefanópoulos [GREECE] GRE 4:14:22 .
26 237 Augusto Cardoso [PORTUGAL] POR 4:14:38 .
27 246 Jorge Costa [PORTUGAL] POR 4:16:05 .
28 251 Igors Kazakevics [LATVIA] LAT 4:19:43 .
29 233 Andrei Stepanchuk [BELARUS] BLR 4:23:30 .
30 217 Rafal Fedaczynski [POLAND] POL 4:24:51 .
31 140 Kevin Eastler [UNITED STATES] USA 4:31:52

Kolya
09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
:lol: The pole vault was funny, a lot of athletes struggled by 5.86 to 5.91m.

Neely
09-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Sebrle finally got his WC gold medal. Though he was lucky the Jamaican Smith sucked that much in the javelin throw due to his injured ellbow, he is normally a 60m thrower and this would have been more than enough to catch Sebrle who only with 44 points ahead.
:hatoff: to one of the German competitors who finished at respectable 5th place!

Congrats for good bronze medals to the relay teams of Belgium and Great Britain. :yeah:

And of course the Aussie gold in the 50km race walk. It was very tough, you can't compete in many events like this, but Deakes was in good condition until the finish and ran a clever race and not like some others.

And of course the Chinese are getting disqualified like always in such international events. On domestic level they're posting great and impressive results, but this is known that the judges in these national events are not too keen on checking the required technique.

You are proving my point it has been a shit competition for years and yes 2.35 outdoors is a joke height to win a gold medal, unless the runway is wet or there are gale force winds.
Like I said, it's nothing new which only applies to this or recent years.

who was that finish athlete in the 50km walk that finished 15 minutes behind but still was cheering like he won a medal?
But many of them celebrated crossing the finish line no matter what place, and they did very deservedly so.

Andre♥
09-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Reiko Tosa has the biggest heart in sport.

Her performance was simply unbelievable. She could barely breath after the first 20km of the race and she couldn't even close her mouth after the 30kmmark . She was dropped with still four athletes in the leading group and she found some energy somewhere to overcome two athletes and get the bronze medal.

Simply unbelievable. :worship: x10000

Kolya
09-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Davai Yuriy Borzakovskiy tonight :yeah:

Action Jackson
09-02-2007, 05:59 AM
The relay was funny, the Jamaicans were brainless and had shit changes all the way the through, whereas the Americans had one good change that was the difference in the mens race.

Kolya
09-02-2007, 06:18 AM
The relay was funny, the Jamaicans were brainless and had shit changes all the way the through, whereas the Americans had one good change that was the difference in the mens race.

With all the crap baton changes, Jamaica still ran a national record :lol:

rosespower
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Go Andreas!

Naide
09-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Blanka :banana: Kajsa choked :mad:

Congrats to Thorkildsen :D

DrJules
09-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Why has Kenyan Bernard Lagat changed nationality to USA. It seems to have enhanced his performance winning 2 gold medals in this world championship, but I assume it must be financial.

I think a number of other Kenyans have also done it.

Jadranka
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Blanka Vlasic :worship: :worship:

Smasher
09-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Congrats Tero :woohoo: :worship:

JMG
09-02-2007, 12:52 PM
:worship:

rosespower
09-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Congrats Tero! Anyway I'm proud of Andreas:D!

Taz Warrior
09-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Why has Kenyan Bernard Lagat changed nationality to USA. It seems to have enhanced his performance winning 2 gold medals in this world championship, but I assume it must be financial.

I think a number of other Kenyans have also done it.

Lagat's lived in USA for about 10 years now having attended the University of Washington - he became an American citizen in 2004 :scratch:
It's certainly not financial in the same sense as Stephen Cherono or Rashid Ramzi :tape:

Adler
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
another bronze (4x400m). Good for you guys!

Suzi
09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Congrats Tero! Anyway I'm proud of Andreas:D!

even though he won it before his last throw he still threw over 90m WOW coolios as for andreas :) what was going on with his hair!! lol

Neely
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Jelena Isinbajewa and Sanya Richards secured the jackpot today

dijus
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
just saw that thread, Athletics is great to watch

congrats to Richards and Isinbaeva

Vlašic won today, although 2.00 is not impressive :inlove:

and what a finish by Plawgo (hurdles) :worship:

martine2
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Sad news for Begian athletics :sad:

Multiple World- and European champion Duathlon Benny Vansteelant was hit by a car while training and died in hospital 2 days after :sad: He was only 30yrs old...

dijus
09-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Vlašic won today, although 2.00 is not impressive :inlove:

and what a finish by Plawgo (hurdles) :worship:

same happened today in Stuttgart :D:D:D

Kolya
10-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Haile Gebrselassie breaks the world marathon best time 29 secs :yeah:

2 hrs 4 mins and 29 secs.

Action Jackson
10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Marion Jones finally admitted what most fans knew that she was on the juice. I mean her ex-husband CJ Hunter was such a roid monkey he makes Puerta seem insignificant. Then her next man Tim Montgomery was involved in the BALCO scandal.

Jelena
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Marion Jones finally admitted what most fans knew that she was on the juice. I mean her ex-husband CJ Hunter was such a roid monkey he makes Puerta seem insignificant. Then her next man Tim Montgomery was involved in the BALCO scandal.
:lol: Sure she was on juice. Better late admitting than never admitting. There are enough sportsmen who don't admit at all they are on drugs.

cmurray
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Well now THERE'S a shock. Marion Jones - who would have thought? :rolleyes: This is why I can't be a fan of running. It seems like they're all "enhanced" in some way. Sigh.

JMG
10-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Marion :bigclap:

dijus
10-07-2007, 01:56 PM
At friday EAA awarded best European Athletes in 2007.
Tero Pitkämäki and Blanka Vlasic got rewards. Congarts for both, espacially for Blanka :p
Plawgo was the only Pole in this 'ranking' and reached 12th place.

Full results: http://www.european-athletics.org/files/athlete_of_the_year_2007/complete_european_athlete_of_the_year_2007_ranking s.pdf

Fedex
10-08-2007, 02:47 AM

Never in doubt. I wonder how much jail time she will be serving?

Kolya
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
The US athletics team is turning out to be another East Germany scandal.

dijus
03-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Although Indoors World Champs are not the most important event this year, I always enjoy watching Blanka Vlasic winning the competition :)

Poland with 2 bronze medals, not so bad though.

Taz Warrior
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Great run by Soboleva and a good performance by Philips Idowu in a major championship at last :yeah:

justClaudia
03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Naide & Nelson :banana:

made my day.

NIKKO84
03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
3.57 in 1500 m women is crazy!

Pockit2006
03-09-2008, 10:23 PM
3.57 in 1500 m women is crazy!

It was a fantastic performance from Soboleva.. great to see her finally winning a major title after all her fast times

dijus
03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
To sump up, it was not bad World Champs, but also not the best. But we can't expect anything incredible in Olympics Season.

Road to Beijing will really start, when outdoors season starts.

NIKKO84
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
To sump up, it was not bad World Champs, but also not the best. But we can't expect anything incredible in Olympics Season.

Road to Beijing will really start, when outdoors season starts.

I bet we will see "incredible" perf. by chinese athletes in Beijing :tape:

The Pro
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Marion Jones - what a cheating bitch.

I remember her winning all those medals and going on about how she wanted to thank God for her success and all that crap. That kind of blasphemous hypocracy makes my blood boil. :mad:

And CJ Parker crying during interviews about how he'd been done wrong. He'd been caught out!

Naide
03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
NAIDE :banana:
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20080309/all/l3059493.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20080309/all/l3059257.jpg

stebs
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Sad thing with athletics is summed up by this paraphrase of an interview with Dwain Chambers (I can't remember exact wording):

Interviewer: Do you think you could've got where you were without performance enhancing substances?
Chambers: No.
Interviewer: Do you think it is possible that the immidiate future of running can become drug free
Chambers: No.

El Magnifico
03-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Not just athletics, any sport that is based soley on physical performance (virtually no skill or decision making) will never be drug free, because the gains in performance are much more significant.

Action Jackson
05-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Big Usain Bolt, the huge talent from Jamaica, came out and ran 9.76, watch him either get injured or choke at Beijing.

0u7YGSZxAOA

Action Jackson
05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2008/05/02/soathl102.xml

Tim Montgomery arrested for heroin dealing
By Tom Knight
Last Updated: 12:47am BST 02/05/2008

Disgraced sprinter Tim Montgomery is in custody in Norfolk, Virginia, after being charged with distributing heroin.

According to The Virginian- Pilot, Montgomery, whose 100 metres world record of 9.78sec was erased along with all his results since 2001 when he was banned for his part in the Balco doping scandal, has been accused of dealing more than 3½ ounces of heroin in Virginia.

Montgomery, 33, who is the father of Marion Jones' first child, Monty, could be released after a bond hearing on Monday.

Jones is serving a six-month jail sentence for lying to federal investigators about her part in the Balco affair and her knowledge of a New York-based $5million cheque fraud scheme that involved Montgomery.

For his part in that scam, Montgomery will be sentenced next month and will face a possible four years in jail.

The couple's former coach, Steve Riddick, and manager, Charlie Wells, were also involved in the affair.

Meanwhile, Dwain Chambers' meeting with anti-doping officials at UK Sport will now take place in the middle of this month.

Chambers, who forfeited his European 100m title and was banned for two years in 2004 after testing positive for the Balco-supplied steroid, THG, was due to meet with John Scott, the director of drug-free sport, last month but was unable to keep the appointment because of his trial as a rugby league player with Castleford Tigers.

UK Sport want to speak to Chambers about what drugs he took and why, and who else was involved.

Kolya
05-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Denis Nizhegorodov broke the 50 km walk WR in 3:34:14 :yeah:

bad gambler
06-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Jamaican Usain Bolt is new 100-meter record holder

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/01/sports/NA-SPT-ATH-Reebok-GP.php

NEW YORK: Like lightning out of nowhere, Usain Bolt is now the world's fastest man.

The Jamaican sprinter, who doesn't even consider the 100 meters his best race, set the world record with a time of 9.72 seconds at the Reebok Grand Prix on Saturday, .02 seconds faster than the old record held by his countryman, Asafa Powell.

Bolt was using the 100 for "speed work" and to avoid having to run the more grueling 400, when, suddenly, he ran the world's second-fastest time a few weeks ago at 9.76. Even then, he said he wasn't sure if he would give up the 400 meters for the 100 for the Beijing Olympics.

Hard to imagine he has any choice now.

Springing from the starting block and unfurling his lanky frame — listed at 1.93 meters (6-foot-4), but probably more like 1.95 (6-5) and, either way, considered too tall for this kind of speed work — he created a big-time gap between himself and Tyson Gay at about the halfway point, then routed him to the finish line.

"I wasn't really looking for a world record, but it was there for the taking," Bolt said.

Gay, the best sprinter in America, finished in 9.85.

Within moments of crossing the finish line, the 21-year-old from Kingston was hoisting the Jamaican flag and a crowd with hundreds of Jamaican fans was going wild.

"Just coming here, knowing a lot of Jamaicans were here giving me their support, it meant a lot," Bolt said. "I just wanted to give them what they wanted."

But who could have expected this?

Bolt has long been considered one of his country's top, up-and-coming sprinters, but his height and running style seemed to make him much more fit for the 200, his favorite race, and the 400, which he doesn't love as much.

Like so many who compete in the 100, Bolt had lots of work to do with his push out of the blocks. He doesn't consider himself a true pro at that. And after a bad false start by the field — the second gun didn't go off until the runners were 20 meters down the track — this simply didn't seem like a night for world records.

Or was it?

"I was glad for the first false start," Bolt said. "My first start wasn't that good. I knew if I got Tyson on the start, I'd get him."

Gay said he knew it was over after he saw Bolt push out.

"Obviously, I have some work to do," Gay said. "Right now, it's hats off to Bolt. Today was his day."

"An awesome athlete," said Shawn Crawford, who finished sixth and witnessed history from two lanes inside of Bolt. "The time shows it."

This marked the first time the record had been set in the United States since the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, when Donovan Bailey ran a 9.84.

A lot is often said about Olympic trials in the United States — that given the depth of the roster, it can be an even better meet than the actual Olympics. But the highlight of the pre-Olympic calendar could now be the Jamaican nationals at the end of June, when Bolt and Powell should square off. Powell, who set the mark of 9.74 last September in Italy, is overcoming a chest injury but is expected to be healthy soon.

Also at the Jamaican championships will be Veronica Campbell-Brown, who won the women's 100 on Saturday in 10.91, the fastest time of 2008.

The fastest time ever, though, now belongs to Bolt, and it made a prophet out of Gay, who predicted that with himself, Bolt and Powell lining up against each other over these next few months, the record could go down, down, down.

The conditions were right.

The start of the meet was delayed by an hour because of threatening storms in the area. Then, about halfway through, a brief thunderstorm hit, cooling the track and leaving it with just the faintest sheen of glistening moisture before the last, and most-anticipated, race of the night. The tailwind was measured at 1.7 meters-per-second, .3 under the limit at which a record can be set.

"To be honest, I knew the track was fast," Gay said. "I knew a 9.7 was possible."

After his victory, Bolt paraded around with the Jamaican flag, accepted a hug from Gay, then went off to do interviews. Race organizers, knowing they'd get a big Jamaican fanbase out at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island, had scheduled a post-meet reggae concert for the crowd of about 6,000.

And what a perfect choice that was on this history making night.

scarecrows
06-01-2008, 06:34 AM
just saw that on the news, the track looked wet, i thought no such time could be set with those conditions

Action Jackson
06-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Bolt laid the smackdown on a wet track. Just hope he is not like Powell and shits himself in the champs, he isn't sure if he is going to run the 100m in Beijing.

His 5th ever 100m race.

owfpwVN70MA

adee-gee
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM
A few years ago, I'd have cared.

Shows how much interest in athletics I take nowadays that I'd barely heard of the guy. Impressive time, but one wonders what substance he's on.

anon57
06-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Impressive time for Usain Bolt, wonder if he'll be able to run like that under pressure as well
Impressive time, but one wonders what substance he's on.
;) Probably on better substances than his competitors

sykotique
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Jamaicans generally have a good record when it comes to steroid abuse.

Taz Warrior
06-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Very impressive by Bolt :yeah:

LK_22
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Brilliant time from Bolt at a time where sprinting in particular needs a shot in the arm (no pun intended) before the olympics.

Having said that though it is a shame that every outstanding time like this has to have a question mark by it due to so many previous elite sprinters giving the sport a bad name.

I think the 9.7 barrier could go sooner rather than later, this guy is that good

Kolya
06-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Where did he come from?

Randomly breaks the record...

NIKKO84
06-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I hope he won't choke in Olympic final like his fellow Powell used to do 4 years ago and win over the Americans!

NIKKO84
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
And what about the 1.54.99 by junior unknown Kenyan girl in 800 metres :eek:

Neely
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Shows how much interest in athletics I take nowadays that I'd barely heard of the guy. Impressive time, but one wonders what substance he's on.
Dito, it's really difficult. Also due to some other cases, the trust and reputation of some disciplines are heavily tarnished. Still it's okay to follow it if you're interested in the sports. Just depends on yourself.

And I had to laugh and wonder somehow as I heard German sprinters Hary and Unger commenting:
"Since years I'm not following the results eagerly anymore. I'm just wondering: what about the A sample? what about the B sample? Because who wins today is determined upon who dopes best".
"You can hardly win the 100m or 200m at the Olympics without any substances anymore."

No surprise if even coaches like Trevor Graham are saying that you have to take certain substance for 9.8 seconds.

Manon
06-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Impressive steroid man.

Action Jackson
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Bolt was the fastest 15 yr old of all time when he won the World Juniors at 200m in Kingston and yes that he means he was racing people 4 and 5 years older than him.

Must have started early.

Neely
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Bolt was the fastest 15 yr old of all time when he won the World Juniors at 200m in Kingston and yes that he means he was racing people 4 and 5 years older than him.

Must have started early.
Yes, a strange guy this Bolt, right? Originally coming from 200m and also a bit too tall going by what they say is the ideal hight, and a few days ago he suddenly "shocks" the world with this record.

Action Jackson
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, a strange guy this Bolt, right? Originally coming from 200m and also a bit too tall going by what they say is the ideal hight, and a few days ago he suddenly "shocks" the world with this record.

He's actually very talented and gifted. Like I said how many 15 year olds win sprint races against 19-20 yr olds?

I mean he lived a bit of the high life and was lazy. Actually he ran a fast time before that and it's just speedwork for the 200m.

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Tonight is the Golden Spike Ostrava :)

http://www.zlatatretra.cz/default.asp?lng=1&sektion=a&page=akt

Bolt is going to run just the 200m

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 03:44 PM
and a sad note:

Konopka again positive

BRATISLAVA (SVK): Slovak shot put European Indoor champion 2007 Mikulas Konopka was again positive dope tested. He had his first failure in winter 2002 when he was forced to return the bronze medal from European Indoor Championships in Wien. According to the reports in Slovak media he had positive result in out-of-competition test on May 13. He is now waiting on the outcome of B-sample analysis. If confirmed he will be facing a life-time ban.

http://www.runblogrun.com/2008/06/global_catch_up_eme_news_by_al.html

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 05:03 PM
and a new world record at Ostrava :)

110m hurdles men
Dayron Robles (CUB) made it in 12.87s :worship:
0,01 faster than Xiang Liu's best amrk

NIKKO84
06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
interesting! pressure is on Liu now!

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
interesting! pressure is on Liu now!

yes, he is challenged now, let's see how he will do in events before and during Beijing. Good for the sport. :yeah:

NIKKO84
06-12-2008, 05:38 PM
yes, he is challenged now, let's see how he will do in events before and during Beijing. Good for the sport. :yeah:

Prefontaine was supposed to be Liu last meet before Olympics, but he false started and withdrew from New York the week before with injury................. :shrug: seems like we'll never see what level he is before Beijing OG.....

Taz Warrior
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Looking forward to 110H at the Olympics - let's hope both men are at their best :)

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Prefontaine was supposed to be Liu last meet before Olympics, but he false started and withdrew from New York the week before with injury................. :shrug: seems like we'll never see what level he is before Beijing OG.....

just hope he can be fit and competitive to run at home.

off-topic:
Not sure where I was reading this, but they were talking about some athletes who didn't show up this year, although they have no injury, it would be to avoid anti-doping tests - however, I guess IAAF can ask for samples evend during trainings, like happened to Konopka, but he was on parole too.

Looking forward to 110H at the Olympics - let's hope both men are at their best :)

:yeah:

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Also in Ostrava today, Blanka Vlasic jumped 2.05m and won women high jump event as expected; failed to take the world record (2.09m - Stefka Kostadinova) with 3 misses at 2.10m

Taz Warrior
06-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I hope Vlasic breaks that record soon given the amount of times she's attempted it :lol:

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Ostrava had a great field in women javelin with the top 6 active athletes, German Obergföll spoiled the fun of the crowd by beating Spotakova's best throw, 67.72 vs 66.91. Nerius came 3rd, Sayers 4th, Menendez 5th and Brejchova was 7th but just 4 throws, maybe she got injured.

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I hope Vlasic breaks that record soon given the amount of times she's attempted it :lol:

but she is approaching :p

Zirconek
06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Bolt made the 200m in 19.83s, best mark of the year so far (best was 20.00s of Tyson Gay)