The World Athletics Thread (Blake fastest ever 100m in a headwind) [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

The World Athletics Thread (Blake fastest ever 100m in a headwind)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

NIKKO84
06-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Also in Ostrava today, Blanka Vlasic jumped 2.05m and won women high jump event as expected; failed to take the world record (2.09m - Stefka Kostadinova) with 3 misses at 2.10m

I hope Vlasic breaks that record soon given the amount of times she's attempted it :lol:

Blanka needs decent competition if she wanna go higher and break WR. What's that? everybody out before 1.95.....

Okonsky
06-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Blanka needs decent competition if she wanna go higher and break WR. What's that? everybody out before 1.95.....

Right. Kostadinova had Andonova and a few others. It is about time to break 2.10.

Kolya
06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Simon Vroemen runs 8:12.50 for 3000m steeplechase at 39 years of age in Cottbus, Germany.

Hence qualifies for the Olympics.

NIKKO84
06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Simon Vroemen runs 8:12.50 for 3000m steeplechase at 39 years of age in Cottbus, Germany.

Very good, but not enough to beat Kenyan armada at OG.....

Naide
06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope Vlasic breaks that record soon given the amount of times she's attempted it :lol:

I hope so as well :yeah:

Kolya
06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Very good, but not enough to beat Kenyan armada at OG.....

:lol: Of course... but at 39 its a very good effort to run 8:12 for a non-Kenyan.

I think the last European to win a medal in the steeplechase at the Olympics was Lambruschini of Italy in 1996.

Action Jackson
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Also in Ostrava today, Blanka Vlasic jumped 2.05m and won women high jump event as expected; failed to take the world record (2.09m - Stefka Kostadinova) with 3 misses at 2.10m

Stefka what a woman, the womens higher jump is still better than the mens event.

The mens event is like the current clay competition, but with no Nadal.

Good run by Robles, time to run it when it counts.

tennismaster882001
06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Blanka winning today in Moscow with 2.03!
She had three attempts at 2.06.

NIKKO84
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Blanka winning today in Moscow with 2.03!
She had three attempts at 2.06.

and once again no competition.. ............... She jumped 10 cms higher than her more serious "rival".......

tennismaster882001
06-15-2008, 10:14 PM
and once again no competition.. ............... She jumped 10 cms higher than her more serious "rival".......

Yeah that's really pathetic! :p
What's up with Slesarenko withdrawing, she said that it was because the organizers didn't invite her! :confused:
She doesn't have a single appearence outdoors yet while Blanka has quite many!
Their preparation for Olympics is so different!

Anyway this week Blanka started with tougher regime of training to become stronger for the rest of the season and maybe break that WR!

Knightmace
06-19-2008, 05:04 AM
I love athletics and this is my all time fave athlete... Michael Johnson

http://www.sini.co.uk/news/images/michael.jpg
I like your sig.

BTW Johnson was not bad

Kolya
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Bolt beats Powell in Jamaican Championships.

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100/newsid=45519.html

anon57
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Tyson Gay runs 9.68 :eek:although it was with +4.1 wind, in earlier series he also ran 9.77 which is a new American record
http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/OlympicTrials-TF/results/F1.asp

bavaria100
07-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah, the records tumble and tumble. This sport is such a joke. Everyone is on the juice anyway.

anon57
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM

During a doping test three days after this time Simon Vroemen has tested positive. It's a bit of an odd story but apparently he says he asked to be tested so that the time could be used to make his qualification for the Olympics official and this morning Dutch media has reported that he has tested positive.

Kolya
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
During a doping test three days after this time Simon Vroemen has tested positive. It's a bit of an odd story but apparently he says he asked to be tested so that the time could be used to make his qualification for the Olympics official and this morning Dutch media has reported that he has tested positive.

Might be a natural thing, hopefully.

anon57
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Might be a natural thing, hopefully.
The B-test hasn't been carried out yet, but it is just an odd story. Surely if he was delibrately taking doping, he wouldn't have asked to be tested:shrug:

Black Adam
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
You do realise that Ben Johnson's cheating record has already been broken quite a few times......................by supposedly clean guys :rolleyes:

Okonsky
07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
by supposedly clean guys :rolleyes:

Yes, they're all clean:o

Xenosys
07-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes, they're all clean:o

That's just the way it has to be in athletics nowadays, every unbelievable performance is met with scepticism. The whole sport has been tarnished for years. In fact, I'd been sure of performance enhancement drugs ever since Joyner-Kersey broke the 100m and 200m world records. The woman looked like a dude with all the enhancements she was on.

Black Adam
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Another doper caught in cycling :o :rolleyes:. I think they should just put a moratorium on the sport because it's dying real fast and losing credibility. Like CD would say, they should pray for an instant death that's not as embarassing as this charade.

Jogy
07-18-2008, 09:24 AM
these little cheating fags, in cycling it is even more bad I think

But I'm wondering what athletics you can watch anymore.

throw disciplines the Russians and East Europeans are many full like shit
in sprint the Jamaicans, Americans, or from where they are often are full until the top of the nose
in long distances the Nigerians, Ecuadorians, Kenians are full as ever with doping that enhances the endurance and oxygen for blood cells

even high jump or long jump there is a base to a big part on power

funny thing is that you can control more in cycling than in athletics with 1000s of atheletes

Kolya
07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
in long distances the Nigerians, Ecuadorians, Kenians are full as ever with doping that enhances the endurance and oxygen for blood cells

Ecuador only has Jefferson Perez as a top athlete, are you calling him a cheat?

Action Jackson
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Another doper caught in cycling :o :rolleyes:. I think they should just put a moratorium on the sport because it's dying real fast and losing credibility. Like CD would say, they should pray for an instant death that's not as embarassing as this charade.

At least the cycling actually look like they are making an effort.

Action Jackson
07-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Ecuador only has Jefferson Perez as a top athlete, are you calling him a cheat?

Any athlete that's not white is a cheat, hence most of the best endurance athletes aren't white, therefore by association they must be cheats. :)

Best of all Nigerians, don't run long distance events. It's pretty simple, drug cheats are just that.

Kolya
07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Any athlete that's not white is a cheat, hence most of the best endurance athletes aren't white, therefore by association they must be cheats. :)

Best of all Nigerians, don't run long distance events. It's pretty simple, drug cheats are just that.

:haha: Who came up with that logic?

So those East Germans and Eastern bloc athletes are not cheats, I get it now :lol:

Action Jackson
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
:haha: Who came up with that logic?

So those East Germans and Eastern bloc athletes are not cheats, I get it now :lol:

Glad you got it now, I wasn't sure if I needed to explain my point.

jmf0704
07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I feel sorry for cycling as I feel as though they are one of the only few sports that take this issue seriously. Look at swimming for example. Nearly every time a world record is broken out of the blue (barring this year with the suit) there are coaches and other swimmers who immediately say drugs (where would they get the idea) but yet hardly any swimmers ever get busted, especially in the past couple of years.

Back on cycling at least we know that the winners so far in the tour de france are likely to be clean with all the testing that is done and examples such as the Ricco case also show that they are catching those who are using new drugs such as the drug Ricco was taking.

Action Jackson
07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I feel sorry for cycling as I feel as though they are one of the only few sports that take this issue seriously. Look at swimming for example. Nearly every time a world record is broken out of the blue (barring this year with the suit) there are coaches and other swimmers who immediately say drugs (where would they get the idea) but yet hardly any swimmers ever get busted, especially in the past couple of years.

Back on cycling at least we know that the winners so far in the tour de france are likely to be clean with all the testing that is done and examples such as the Ricco case also show that they are catching those who are using new drugs such as the drug Ricco was taking.

This is the Athletics thread, not the cycling one. The cycling one is in the Chat Threads.

bad gambler
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Jogy should be president of WADA

Taz Warrior
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Vlasic wins again in Stockholm - her 34th win in a row (31 of them at 2m or over) :worship:

Kolya
07-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Got to feel sorry for Australian athletics they don't have many athletes to win medals and they lose their 2 World champions in Rawlinson (400m hurdles) and Deakes (50k walk).

bad gambler
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Any word yet as to whether Bolt plans to run the 100m in Beijing?

Taz Warrior
07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Who knows? :shrug:

http://www.iaaf.org/GP08/news/kind=100/newsid=46291.html

Action Jackson
07-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Any word yet as to whether Bolt plans to run the 100m in Beijing?

From my sources the answer is yes.

Matchpointprt
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I read that a jamiacan athlete tested positive for an ilegal substance. The name is not known yet, but the athlete participated in the jamaican national championships in Kingston.
I read this on eurosport.de.

Jogy
07-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Jogy should be president of WADA
First thing I would doing is get sponsors to pay for more and more tests. And then issue press statements where the company name is mention: "This cheater is positive in A and B tests. The sport is cleaner now, this good news is brought to you by CocaCola" (or any other company name)

Only way you can fight against that, when you own analys method is outdated and when you can only far not enough tests in some sports.

bad gambler
07-29-2008, 02:40 AM
First thing I would doing is get sponsors to pay for more and more tests. And then issue press statements where the company name is mention: "This cheater is positive in A and B tests. The sport is cleaner now, this good news is brought to you by CocaCola" (or any other company name)

Only way you can fight against that, when you own analys method is outdated and when you can only far not enough tests in some sports.

Problem Jogy is that the cheaters are seemingly one step ahead of the drug testers with new doping methods.

Jogy
07-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Then invest money into catching up. Idiots like cycling team sponsors are doing the same just that their name is screwed then because the jerks take doping. With money get people, new analys equipment, money for research to develop test or to look for patterns when somebody tries blood bag doping, genetic doping.

They could not catch up exact, but could make it closer.

Matchpointprt
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Five top Russian athletes were suspended by the IAAF and will miss the Olympics Games in Beijing due to irregularities in their doping tests. The athletes banned are Yelena Soboleva, Tatyana Tomashova, Yulia Fomenko, Darya Pishchalnikova, and Gulfiya Khanafeyeva.
In read this on eurosport.com and this doesn´t surprise me. I always thought that Soboleva, Tomashova, Fomenko and Khanafeyeva would be using something ilegal with their performances... just a bit surprised with Pischalnikova.

Matchpointprt
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Cherkasova and yegorova have also been banned...

Matchpointprt
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
The romanian delegation also dropped Liliana Popescu, Elena Antoci and Cristina Vasiloiu, 1500m runners, all 3 under suspicion of doping.
I´m really liking this news, and i hope all their records are removed. All those russians were suspicious for me but now more 3 romanians and the others that we still don´t know yet,they could complete a dirty 1500m race, so in some races maybe we have 50% clean and the others with doping... this is really bad.

NIKKO84
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
huh, hardly surprising....... Yegorova and Khanafayeva names AGAIN in doping affair :lol:

with 6 :eek: of the best 1500 m runners out of olympics, lovely Chojeka has big chance for a medal now;)

Kolya
08-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Yegorova :haha:

Taz Warrior
08-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Yegorova :o

Kolya
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Romanians and Russian women middle distance runners are always suspicious especially with their incredible world records which can't even be challenged today.

NIKKO84
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Romanians and Russian women middle distance runners are always suspicious especially with their incredible world records which can't even be challenged today.

When it comes to female middle distance runners, no one can beat the Chineses and the famous turtle soup :worship:

Kolya
08-01-2008, 11:54 AM
When it comes to female middle distance runners, no one can beat the Chineses and the famous turtle soup :worship:

And fungus.

Action Jackson
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
7 Russian females getting banned for failing doping tests.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/01/sports/01doping.php

A sting operation conducted over the past 16 months resulted Thursday in the doping suspension of seven female Russian track and field athletes, five of them Olympians, bringing international embarrassment and dealing a potentially severe blow to the country's medal chances in middle-distance running and field events at the Beijing Games.

The women were suspended by track's world governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations, which investigated suspicious Russian tests for more than a year and accused the seven athletes of illicitly substituting someone else's urine for their own in an attempt to subvert antidoping controls.

Among those barred were Yelena Soboleva, the world's top woman this year at 800 and 1,500 meters, and Tatyana Tomashova, who won a silver medal in the 1,500 at the Athens Olympics in 2004. The Russians denied that doping subterfuge had taken place, but unless the barred athletes succeeded on appeal, those chosen to participate at the Beijing Games, which open Aug. 8, would not be allowed to compete.

The number of suspensions, and the varied events involved, raised troubling questions about possible ineptitude or corruption in Russian drug-testing procedures and also prompted concerns about whether a deliberate, systematic attempt was made by coaches or officials to undermine drug-testing protocols.

If the charges are substantiated, "it raises a flag as to some sort of organized initiative to evade detection," said Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor of medicine at New York University who helped develop screening protocols for the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Today in Sports
Laotian-American badminton player's winding road, and heavy burdenRussia team reels as 7 female athletes suspended ahead of OlympicsHow bad is the Beijing air? Cyclists will soon find out
The Russian case also illustrates that increasingly sophisticated methods are required to catch violators of drug-testing rules, in particular those athletes who have not failed drug screenings. A track official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the IAAF had grown suspicious of Russian drug-testing results as far back as 2006. The tests, given out of competition, were so tidily and uniformly negative that "it was almost too good to be true," the official said.

In 2007, from March to July, the IAAF began to store out-of-competition tests given to Russian athletes. Those tests from 2007 were later compared using DNA analysis to tests given during competitions this year.

"They were obviously giving someone else's samples," the track official said.

The use of substitute urine is a well-known method for trying to manipulate drug screenings. Antidoping monitors are supposed to witness each sample being provided to make sure it is genuine. In order to subvert this vigilance, some athletes have been known to use a catheter to fill their bladders with someone else's urine, so it appears that they are giving a legitimate sample when they are not. Some women have also inserted condoms filled with clean urine into their vaginas to beat drug tests.

Worldwide in 2007, 174,483 drug screenings were given in Olympic-related sports, turning up 3,375 so-called "adverse" or questionable results (1.93 percent), Wadler said.

"The low number of violations puts into perspective that most athletes are drug-free," Wadler said. "But you hear about the celebrated doping cases, and the notion becomes that this is a useless battle. Quite the opposite. I think this is all positive in doping reform."

The other Russian Olympians suspended along with Soboleva and Tomashova were Gulfiya Khanafeyeva (hammer throw); Darya Pishchalnikova (the world's leading discus thrower); and Yulia Fomenko (1,500 meters).

The timing of the suspensions — eight days before the Beijing Games, too late to add substitutes to the Olympic team — seemed aimed to provide maximum humiliation to the Russians by track's world governing body.

Speaking on Russian television, Soboleva called the accusations strange and added: "This thing was so well chosen, there is nothing we can do. We've simply been removed and our hands are tied."

Some associates of the suspended athletes asserted that the suspensions were motivated by politics.

"Nobody is providing justification for those people who violate the WADA rules," said Gennady Shvets, the head of the Russian Olympic Committee press service. "It is clear that there is some percentage of athletes that do this in spite of everything, and not only in Russia."

In other doping-related news, Chinese officials said that medical supplies produced by a Shanghai company were illegally sold to Greece, leading to positive drug tests earlier this year that resulted in the disqualification of 11 Greek weight lifters from the Beijing Olympics. The Chinese authorities offered few details, other than to say that the Shanghai company, Auspure, had sold the raw ingredients for a "doping formula" to Greek officials. The company's license has been suspended.

Zirconek
08-28-2008, 12:15 AM
OG were great :yeah:

now the show must go on, Weltklasse Zürich (Golden League) - August 29th

Entry List
http://www.weltklassezuerich.ch/en/meeting/startlist.html

Stensland
08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
bolt is said to earn about $1.5 mil over the course of the three upcoming meetings. his contracts set some bonuses in case he manages to break the world record (which he did) and win gold medals (which he did) in beijing. so apparently the time to cash in has come.

btw is the name usain a simple modification of hussein? does he have a muslim background?

Action Jackson
08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
No, Bolt does not have a Muslim background at all. How many Muslims cross themselves.

Taz Warrior
08-28-2008, 09:40 AM
OG were great :yeah:

Yes I enjoyed the OG too :D

Apart from Bolt some of the highlights for me were:

- Bekele's performance in the 5,000m - a classic piece of distance running,
- Both TJ finals for the drama they created,
- Christine Ohorugou showing again that whilst she's not the fastest she is a championship performer,
- Galkina-Samitova's victory in the women's SC,
- USA messing up both sprint relays :devil:

Disappointments were:

- Liu Xiang not being able to compete,
- Jeremy Wariner's performance in the 400 final
- Lisa Dobriskey getting her tactics completely wrong in the 1500m and blowing a great chance for the silver
- GBR messing up both sprint relays :(

Stensland
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
No, Bolt does not have a Muslim background at all. How many Muslims cross themselves.

you mean like inter-marriage? i don't know, probably lots though, at least in the americas.

so what's this "usain" name about? don't you find it striking that it sounds just like the carribean version of "hussein"?

Action Jackson
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
you mean like inter-marriage? i don't know, probably lots though, at least in the americas.

so what's this "usain" name about? don't you find it striking that it sounds just like the carribean version of "hussein"?

He is not a Muslim pure and simple, and no it's not a mixed marriage either. The family are regular afro-Jamaicans and yes there are pure white Jamaicans, some Chinese ones, even a German colony there as well.

Names are big things in the Caribbean. So you'd probably think Nixon Alexei McLean, was a half American half Russian, but no he is just a regular cricket player from the Caribbean.

In other words, there is nothing to see here on this issue.

Stensland
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
nixon alexei...? :lol:

i didn't know about the names in the carribean, sorry. fun stuff though. :)

Truc
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
you mean like inter-marriage? i don't know, probably lots though, at least in the americas.He means "sich bekreuzigen" - Bolt does it before the start.

Action Jackson
08-28-2008, 10:03 AM
nixon alexei...? :lol:

i didn't know about the names in the carribean, sorry. fun stuff though. :)

The old man was a political fanatic, hence the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_McLean

There are some interesting names. Everton is a common first name, another one was called Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose. Well look at one of the relay guys, his name Nesta Carter.

Stensland
08-28-2008, 10:03 AM
ohhh ok. :o i didn't get that. good point. but there are people who reject their background, so it might have been the case that he is of muslim origin and converted to christianity.

never mind.

Stensland
08-28-2008, 10:05 AM
btw has bolt lost a race this year? if he hasn't he's eligible for the $1 mil jackpot, isn't he? i don't follow athletics that much.

Action Jackson
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Asafa Powell has defeated Bolt over 100m this year

Worst thing about Bolt is that he likes Real Madrid.

Action Jackson
08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
This is his mother and dad.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/GeorgeWH/img462x462.jpg

The one he points to.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/GeorgeWH/img650x367-1.jpg

Kolya
08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Stefano Baldini retires. A great marathon runner who always preferred medals to fast times.

He was unlucky with injury in Beijing but still finished 12th.

Forza Baldini! :yeah:

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6653&Itemid=2

Zirconek
08-31-2008, 02:58 PM
More action in 2 days.

More than 60 Olympic finalists, 16 Olympic champions in Lausanne.

http://www.athletissima.ch/index_en.aspx

NIKKO84
08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Livestream for Gateshead meeting (media player)

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/xostech/42034/750_xostech-42034_080831.asx

Results can be found here:

http://www.ukathletics.net/results/20080831_gateshead/

Neely
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Asafa Powell with 9.72 seconds in Lausanne. Or was it even 9.71? I don't remember.

scarecrows
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Bolt 19.63 slowing down a lot in the end

Stensland
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
yep, watching it. asafa powell pulled off quite a race earlier on, coming up with the second-best run ever (100m in 9.72). such a shame he's not able to get it together at the big events.

Kolya
09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Should be a good IAAF Golden League in Brussels!

bad gambler
09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Asafa Powell with 9.72 seconds in Lausanne. Or was it even 9.71? I don't remember.

Typical, 2 weeks after the greatest stage he only performs.

Zirconek
09-04-2008, 01:37 PM
IOC to probe doping claims against Belarus pair

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=3568655

two medalists from men hammer throw, one of them can face life ban. Four years ago (Athens OG), the winner (from Hungary) was stripped of his gold medaldueto doping too.

Kolya
09-04-2008, 02:33 PM
IOC to probe doping claims against Belarus pair

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=3568655

two medalists from men hammer throw, one of them can face life ban. Four years ago (Athens OG), the winner (from Hungary) was stripped of his gold medaldueto doping too.

Tsikhan is a 3 time World champion.

Stensland
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
pffff...poor belarussian amateurs. still on the 80s' drugs... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-047.gif

Zirconek
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Tsikhan is a 3 time World champion.

the question is: was he finally caught or is he trying to keep on top by now using these forbidden substances? :p

and the answer is very likely the first :p

pffff...poor belarussian amateurs. still on the 80s' drugs... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-047.gif

:haha:

Kolya
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
the question is: was he finally caught or is he trying to keep on top by now using these forbidden substances? :p

and the answer is very likely the first :p

:haha:

Maybe :lol:

Its a shame because I wanted him to win gold to achieve the Olympic and World titles.

Zirconek
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
let's chat live with Blanka Vlasic now :) :hearts:

http://www.iaaf.org/chat/index.html

SloKid
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Anyone seen Ivan Ukhov drunk in Lausanne? He drank some Red Bull and vodka before the event and couldn't really perform.
oZq-6PL8L6A
B7e-wUEJFeE
:haha: :haha: :help:
let's chat live with Blanka Vlasic now :) :hearts:

http://www.iaaf.org/chat/index.html
No, thanks. :help:

NIKKO84
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
:lol: Ukhov

At the end of his "competition", his manager gave him the biggest slap of his life

Zirconek
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Anyone seen Ivan Ukhov drunk in Lausanne? He drank some Red Bull and vodka before the event and couldn't really perform.

:haha: :haha: :help:

No, thanks. :help:

:haha: :rolls:

:lol: Ukhov

At the end of his "competition", his manager gave him the biggest slap of his life

he was lucky he couldn't feel much pain :lol:

Kolya
09-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Usain Bolt wins in 9.77 in Brussels in -1.3 m/s wind!!! Powell was 2nd with 9.82.

Jelimo becomes a millionaire. Vlasic lost her share of 500K.

NIKKO84
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
wow, Jelimo, from nothing to Olympic champion and millionaire in less than 6 months............. how successful :o

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Ukhov what a hero he is.

Big Asafa runs 9.82 where he broke the WR, typical can't run well in the big ones.

Purple Rainbow
09-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Ukhov what a hero he is.

Big Asafa runs 9.82 where he broke the WR, typical can't run well in the big ones.

Earlier that day in the series he ran 9,77.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
He false started in the final, but it's classic run fast in the backyard, but can't turn it on when needed.

As for Asafa, he ran well in the relay, only way he gets Olympic Gold.

Machiavelli
09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Another melt down by Vlasic, the girl wins 35 of the last 37 meetings she entered, but looses the two most important ones, Hellebaut comes out of nowhere in Bejing, and then in Bruxelles Blanka can't handle the rainy conditions and looses to Friedrich, both times she had the same height as the other girls but with one more attempt....

No gold medal, no half million dollars, she surely is very disappointed, though a silver medal for Croatia in athletics is an amazing achievement, that won't satisfy her....

Purple Rainbow
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Hellebaut comes out of nowhere in Bejing,

You're not doing Tia Hellbaut justice here.
Tia had been troubled by injuries in the buildup to the Olympics, and I'm sure Vlasic wouldn't have won as much as she did had Hellebaut been fully fit for most of 2007 and 2008.

Zirconek
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Jelimo might break the 800m world record soon :eek:

Zirconek
09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm looking forward the World Athletics Final in Stuttgart this weekend :cool:

Nedved Rosicky
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Barbora Špotáková new WR 72.28m

Kolya
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
My girl Galkina Samitova wins the 3000m steeplechase again :yeah:

Taz Warrior
09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Stefan Holm :sad: Goodbye to a great athlete :yeah:

freestyler
09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
amazing spotakova
merritt def.wariner again :(

Fizz
09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Barbora Špotáková new WR 72.28m

:bowdown:

Jelena
09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Carl Lewis' thoughts about Bolt, comparing eras in T&F and comparing achievements in different sports. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/09/11/carl.lewis/index.html)

Taz Warrior
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Carl Lewis' thoughts about Bolt, comparing eras in T&F and comparing achievements in different sports. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/09/11/carl.lewis/index.html)

:rolleyes:

I don't even know where to start pointing out what's wrong with this

Nathaliia
09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Cool, many Jamaican will come to a Szczecin tennis challenger athletics events this week, incl. Asafa Powell :D

Nathaliia
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
:rolleyes:

I don't even know where to start pointing out what's wrong with this

we must start with "sour grapes" issue :haha:

Action Jackson
09-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Come on Carl, just break it up.

jamJ4-C_TME

Burrow
09-15-2008, 10:24 AM
carl lewis is right about most things he says their, plus he is actually the greatest olympian of all time.

Kolya
09-15-2008, 12:55 PM
The greatest Olympian is a tough topic.

Funny to read what Lewis believes about Bolt.

Kolya
09-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Haile Gebrselassie breaks the marathon WR breaking 2:04 hrs with a time of 2:03:59 in Berlin.

Legend :worship:

Zirconek
10-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I think some time ago there wasn't a marathon world record, they only recognized the "best time" or "fastest time". Considering it's a street event and 42km distance, the local relief has a big impact on the time :shrug:

Kolya
10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I think some time ago there wasn't a marathon world record, they only recognized the "best time" or "fastest time". Considering it's a street event and 42km distance, the local relief has a big impact on the time :shrug:

Yes you are right. It is the world best time, I always tend to forget that.

Gebrselassie says he is going to London 2012.

Zirconek
10-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes you are right. It is the world best time, I always tend to forget that.

Gebrselassie says he is going to London 2012.

I think IAAF has it as record now, but some time ago it wasn't
http://www.iaaf.org/LRR08/news/newsid=47883.html

it was a Brazilian who held the best time some years ago, and I remember our local press mostly reporting as world record while it was officially "best time".

Kolya
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I think IAAF has it as record now, but some time ago it wasn't
http://www.iaaf.org/LRR08/news/newsid=47883.html

it was a Brazilian who held the best time some years ago, and I remember our local press mostly reporting as world record while it was officially "best time".

That was da Costa.

Yes I was like you I thought it was still called the "world best" time.

Kolya
10-03-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=47880.htmlJefferson Pérez, a true Champion, retires

In sports, the task of judging the career of an athlete when he retires sometimes becomes difficult, but with Ecuadorian Jefferson Pérez the issue is rather simple. Pérez has been the best sportsman ever produced by the so-called “Nation of the middle of the Earth”.

If we extend the valuation to Athletics in the South American continent, only a handful of names will rank along the Ecuadorian race-walker – both Brazilian. Double Olympic Champion Adhemar Ferreira da Silva (Triple Jump; Helsinki 1952-Melbourne 1956) and 800m runner Joaquim Carvalho Cruz (Olympic gold in Los Angeles 1984 and silver in Seoul 1988).

With Pérez’s recent silver medal in the 20Km Race Walk from Beijing, and added to the gold he obtained in Atlanta 1996, the Ecuadorian is equal in Olympic achievements with Cruz and behind da Silva. But, extending the healthy debate, Pérez won three IAAF World Championships at his event, fact that Cruz couldn’t do, and neither Adhemar, for the obvious reason that the World Championships were first contested in 1983. And while Adhemar also possessed the World Record, so did Pérez, and not Cruz.

At the end of the hypothetical debate, it becomes obvious that we are talking about serious champions with a legacy that will be remembered by many generations, and certainly, Jefferson Pérez belongs to that illustrious group.

The making of a champion

Jefferson Pérez was born in Cuenca, on 1 July 1974. The second of five siblings – three male and two female – Jefferson became involved with Athletics in 1986 when he saw on television the victory of compatriot Rolando Vera (also from Cuenca) at the São Silvestre road race in São Paulo. That clearly inspired the young Ecuadorian.

His first major event was the South American Junior Championships held in Montevideo in 1989. There, still only 14, the young Pérez won the 10,000m in 45:03.71, starting his glorious campaign.

Also at the age of 14, Jefferson lost his father, and with his mother gradually going blind, he was able to find the inspiration for his sports career.

“I always say I was exposed to everything at my youth, crime, drugs, you name it… But I guess I was signed for something different, and that kept me away from all those temptations that usually present themselves to young kids.”

Pérez’s first global impact came in 1990 at the World Junior Championships in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. There Jefferson placed third at 10,000m with 40:08.26 at 16, setting a World Best for his age. “That was an occasion that marked me for the rest of my career. We got to Bulgaria a few months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and things were not easy yet. Our luggage got lost, and it was impossible to purchase clothes to train. So we had to borrow stuff from other athletes, wash things after every session, hoping that they would get dry for the next training session. Luckily our bags arrived the night before my event, but certainly it was one of those episodes that tempered my character.”

Two years later, at the 1992 World Junior Championships in Seoul, Pérez claimed the victory at 10,000m, a fact that solidified his career.

After the initial experience at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, were the young Ecuadorian abandoned, his career began to evolve dramatically.

The first milestone achieved was the first-ever gold medal for his country at the 1995 Pan-American Games of Mar del Plata. Later on, Jefferson would repeat the feat in 2003 and 2007, with a bronze in 1999.

The next year, at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Pérez shocked the world by taking the victory. In the morning of 26 July, the roads of the capital city of the state of Georgia saw the 1.74m Ecuadorian march to a historic gold medal, in 1:20:07.

In 1997 Pérez won the Race Walking World Cup in Podebrady, with 1:18:24, then a South American record. The victory at the event would be repeated in 2002 and 2004, with a second place in 2006, becoming the athlete with most victories and medals in the history of the Cup at 20Km.

After a fourth place at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Pérez took a break to complete his University studies and graduated in Business Administration. At his return, he placed eighth at the Edmonton World Championships in 2001, and from there regained inspiration to continue competing at the highest level.

The victory at the 2002 World Cup in Turin was the clear indication that Pérez was back, and 2003 saw the finest performance by the Ecuadorian.

“The victory at the Paris World Championships was the most important of my career. I was up against the best in World at the moment – Spain’s Paquillo Fernández – almost competing at his home turf. He was coming from setting the World record and went out very fast, covering the first 10km in 38:38. I could only follow him, and I crossed the middle mark in 39:10. But little by little I was able to catch up with him, and marching the second half in 38:11 I took my first World title, setting a World record of 1:17:21.”

“Things didn’t go right in Athens, at the 2004 Olympic Games, and again I finished fourth. I guess that was a necessary defeat… It made me more humble, and gave me the drive to repeat the victory from Paris in Helsinki 2005 and Osaka 2007”.

Pérez’s final year at the world stage gave him his second Olympic medal, silver, at the 2008 Games in Beijing.

“Sometimes medals have a small meaning when then don’t carry anything else. I wish mine could start a wave that would give my country hundreds more. Now, I feel blessed for being able to enjoy my career all the way. For being able to represent my country in front of people of such diverse cultures, and for being able to meet so many wonderful friends.”

“I guess I was part of two generations of race walking. The one from the 90’s, of Segura, Markov, Shchennikov, full of grit and determination, which I deeply admired, and I called the “Romantic Generation”. Then came a second one, more influenced by science and technology; more professional, if the word applies.”

Beginning his next chapter

Now, that a new chapter in his life begins, Pérez doesn’t see himself coaching or advising other athletes directly. “I will continue working with my foundation to help children with difficulties; I will continue with my business, and although many people want to see me in politics, I understand that will take me some time to be ready for that challenge.”

“Paquillo Fernández would be an ideal successor for me in Race Walking. He is still young, talented, and has a great teacher in Robert Korzeniowski. I wish him the best.”

“Here in Ecuador, we have our own talents, but our athletes need direction. The National Olympic Committee has asked me for advice, and I will be glad to give my best to help, along with my team of physicians. I know I don’t make a great coach. I have little patience, and I know I was too tough with myself, which is something I cannot apply to others.”

“I won’t be nostalgic about athletics now. I enjoyed my moment, and even the farewell in the streets of Murcia at the Race Walking Challenge Final, was a wonderful moment. Competing there, and saying goodbye in front of some many compatriots who live in Spain is something that I will treasure for ever.”

Eduardo Biscayart for the IAAF

Jefferson Leonardo Pérez (ECU). Cuenca, Azuay, 1 July 1974. 1.74/59Kg.

Coaches: Manuel Ortiz, Luis Muñoz, Luis Chocho, Enrique Peña; self coached for the last 6 years.

Honours (20km): Olympic Games: ’96- 1, ’08- 2; World Championships: ‘03/05/07- 1; R-W World Cup: ’97-02-04-06: 1/1/1/2; PAmG: ’95-99-03-07: 1/3/1/1; SAmCh: ’93- 1, ’05- 1; World Junior Championships (10000m): ’90-92: 3/1. Also won Campeonato Iberoamericano (2002), South American Cup (1994-5, 1997-8, 2006); Pan-American Cup (2003, 2007); Pan-American Junior Championships (1993); South American Junior Championships (1989-93).

Progression at 20km Walk: 1992- 1:25:50.5, 1993- 1:24:03, 1994- 1:23:27, 1995- 1:22:53, 1996- 1:20:07/1:20:55.4t, 1997- 1:18:24, 1998- 1:19:19, 1999- 1:20:46, 2000- 1:20:18, 2001- 1:22:20, 2002- 1:19:08, 2003- 1:17:21; 2004- 1:18:42; 2005- 1:18:35, 2006- 1:19:08, 2007- 1:21:14, 2008- 1:19:15.

Other PBs: 5000mW 19:20.0 ’98, 10000mW 39:50.73 ’93, 10kmW 38:24 ’02, 30kmW 2:13:33 ’99, 35kmW 2:38:04 ’04, 50kmW 3:53:04 ‘04.

Zirconek
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
That was da Costa.

Yes I was like you I thought it was still called the "world best" time.

yes, da Costa is his name :worship: :yeah:

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=47880.html
Jefferson :yeah:

proud of Ecuador like Andrés Gomez :)

Zirconek
10-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Tim Montgomery convicted to 5 years in jail :tape: :o

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/10/10/sports/OUKSP-UK-MONTGOMERY.php

Kolya
10-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Tim Montgomery convicted to 5 years in jail :tape: :o

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/10/10/sports/OUKSP-UK-MONTGOMERY.php

Can't believe I actually liked him over Maurice Greene years ago.

A disgrace...

Zirconek
11-09-2008, 12:21 AM
"London Olympic legacy must respect athletics says IAAF president"

http://www.iaaf.org/aboutiaaf/news/newsid=48221.html

Lamine Diack talking about Rogge (IOC president) and USA that hosted two Olympicsin last 24 years and have not a single venue capable of hosting an IAAF WC.

BTW, Chicago chances in next year's election for host city of 2016 Olympics looks stronger now Obama was elected.

Kolya
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/25112008/58/montgomery-admits-doping.html
Montgomery admits doping

Eurosport - Tue, 25 Nov 08:46:00 2008

Disgraced sprinter Tim Montgomery has admitted using performance-enhancing substances before running in the triumphant US 4x100 metres relay team at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Montgomery, in jail having been sentenced to almost nine years imprisonment on heroin charges and for a cheque fraud, made the admission in an interview for the HBO TV show "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" scheduled to be broadcast on Tuesday.

"Prior to the 2000 Olympic Games in Australia I broke the rules," said Montgomery, 33, in a transcript provided by HBO.

"I used [substances to boost my] testosterone and then I used HGH [human growth hormone] four times a month. I have a gold medal I'm sitting on that I didn't get with my own ability."

Two years after the Games, Montgomery set a 100 metres world record of 9.78 seconds that was later erased after the US anti-doping agency found he had received steroids. He was barred from competition in 2005.

Montgomery's HBO admission could have further ramifications.

The International Olympic Committee made the US men's 4x400 relay team who took Sydney gold give up their medals after Antonio Pettigrew admitted doping.

Medal-winning relay teams in Sydney that included Marion Jones, Montgomery's former girlfriend, had their results wiped out after Jones was found to have violated doping rules.
Reuters

Zirconek
12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hellebaut announced retirement, the 30 years-old Belgian who won the high jump in Beijing 2008 is pregnant. Good luck Tia!

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=48529.html

Taz Warrior
02-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Sydney Olympic champion Skolimowska collapses and dies at age of 26

http://www.iaaf.org/aboutiaaf/news/newsid=49374.html :eek: :sad:

The IAAF and the athletics world today mourns the loss of Poland's Kamila Skolimowska (born 4 November 1982) who won the gold medal for the women’s Hammer Throw at the Sydney Olympics, and who died suddenly yesterday (18) at the age of 26.

Skolimowska collapsed at a training camp in Faro, Portugal and died in an ambulance on her way to hospital.

Skolimowska became the youngest ever Olympic Hammer Throw champion, man or woman, in Sydney 2000 at age 17 years and 331 days with a then personal best throw of 71.16 metres. It was the first time that the women's Hammer Throw had been staged at the Olympics.

The European Junior champion in 1997 (at age of 14) and the inaugural World Youth champion in 1999, between 1999 and 2001 she set five World junior Hammer Throw records. Skolimowska also won at the Goodwill Games and Grand Prix Final in 2001, and took gold at the European U23 title in 2003 and World University Games in 2005.

As well as her Olympic title as a senior athlete she also took the European silver medal in 2002 and four years later achieved the bronze medal at the continental championships. In 2006, she also achieved victory in the World Cup competition in Athens.

Skolimowska qualified for the Beijing Olympic final but then had no valid throws in the final itself.

Her personal best and national record was 76.83m (11 May 2007).

Taz Warrior
02-21-2009, 09:30 AM
It was an incredible achievement by Skolimowska to win the Olympic title at 17 and although she never achieved the same level of success again she was very consistent and featured in most major finals since then.

Zirconek
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
European Indoor Championships in Torino next weekend :)

World men records of high jump and pole vault might be broken this season or the next :eek: Ukhov, the Russian who was drunk in a Swiss meeting last year, jumped 2.40m and Hooker from Australia reached 6.06m.

Kolya
03-01-2009, 06:00 AM
European Indoor Championships in Torino next weekend :)

World men records of high jump and pole vault might be broken this season or the next :eek: Ukhov, the Russian who was drunk in a Swiss meeting last year, jumped 2.40m and Hooker from Australia reached 6.06m.

Ukhov has been really consistent this season, must be the vodka red bull :p

Hooker is the man to beat in the pole vault and has tried many numerous attempts to break Bubka's WR.

Bit disappointed he got 6.06m because he goes past my man Tarasov because it doesn't matter if its indoor or outdoor.

Action Jackson
03-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Hooker isn't breaking the WR anytime soon. Outdoor records will always have more credibility than indoor ones.

Kolya
03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Hooker isn't breaking the WR anytime soon. Outdoor records will always have more credibility than indoor ones.

I agree, Bubka's WR outdoor and indoor are probably 2 of the most difficult to break in world athletics.

Don't know why Hooker just doesn't try to improve his PB cm by cm, instead of these WR attempts.

BTW Hooker lost tonight in Sydney to some American :lol:

jmf07
03-03-2009, 04:37 AM
BTW Hooker lost tonight in Sydney to some American :lol:

I thought Hooker won :confused:

Kolya
03-03-2009, 06:08 AM
I thought Hooker won :confused:

My bad he did win.

Kolya
05-02-2009, 03:39 AM
RASHID RAMZI POSITVE FOR CERA
Bahrain Olympic champion Rashid Ramzi in positive drugs test
Rashid Ramzi, who won Bahrain’s first ever Olympic medal when he took the 1500 metres gold in Beijing last August, could now face the ignominy of being stripped of his title after he was revealed on Wednesday to be one of six athletes who have tested positive for the blood-boosting drug CERA.

By Simon Hart
Last Updated: 7:20PM BST 29 Apr 2009
Olympic champion Rashid Ramzi in positive drugs test
Anxious wait: A second test will be carried out on Rashid Ramzi's sample Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The Bahraini National Olympic Committee confirmed that it had been informed of Ramzi’s positive test by the International Olympic Committee and that a test of his back-up ’B’ sample would be carried out next week.

If a doping offence is proven, the 28-year-old athlete, who triumphed in Beijing in a time of 3min 32.94sec, faces a suspension, a ban from the London Olympics in 2012 and the automatic loss of his medal, which would pass to Kenyan runner-up Asbel Kiprop. In the same race, Britain’s Andy Baddeley finished ninth.

It would also cast a shadow over Ramzi’s achievement in Helsinki four years ago when he became the first athlete to complete the 800m-1500m double at a World Championships.

Ramzi, who was born in Morocco but became a Bahraini citizen in 2002, also finished runner-up in the 1500m at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka.

Sheikh Ahmed bin Hamad al-Khalifa, a member of Bahrain’s NOC, said yesterday: “We have informed Rashid Ramzi that the test was positive and we are going to meet him in a few days.

“We are sorry to hear this news. The NOC of Bahrain can confirm its support to the athlete, who has the full right to open the B test and the right to be listened to, to defend himself.

“We will cooperate fully with the IOC on the subject and if the second test is positive we will decide what to do then.

“Ramzi underwent eight tests before and during the Olympic Games and all results were negative.”

Ramzi’s drug test failure follows the IOC’s decision to re-analyse 948 frozen samples provided by competitors during the Beijing Games after new tests to detect CERA and insulin became available.

The IOC announced on Tuesday that six Olympic competitors had tested positive for CERA, a slow-release version of the red blood cell-boosting hormone EPO, but refused to name names.

However, all of them were exposed yesterday, either by unnamed sources or by their own national Olympic committees or federations, who chose to waive the athletes’ right to anonymity during a pending doping case.

In addition to Ramzi, two other track athletes were revealed to be among the six - Greece’s Athanasia Tsoumeleka, who won the 20km walk at the Athens Olympics but finished ninth in Beijing, and Croatian 800m runner Vanja Perisic, who was eliminated in the first round in China.

Tsoumeleka is already banned after a sample she provided before the Beijing Olympics tested positive for the same substance. She has since retired from athletics but faces criminal charges under Greek anti-doping laws.

Two cyclists were also confirmed as having tested positive for CERA - Italy’s Davide Rebellin, who took the silver medal in the Beijing road race, and Germany’s Stefan Schumacher.

Like Tsoumeleka, Schumacher is already serving a ban after testing positive for CERA during last summer’s Tour de France. Both cyclists were members of the same Gerolsteiner professional team last year.

The sixth athlete to be implicated was Yudelkis Contreras, who competed for the Dominican Republic in the women’s weightlifting competition in Beijing.

Purple Rainbow
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Bumperdeebump!

It's athletics season, people!

Usain Blot just ran 9,77 in Ostrava, the third fastest time in history.

Anyone going to the World Cup in Berlin in August? I am!!! :woohoo:

Zirconek
06-17-2009, 09:55 PM
:yeah:

Final entries for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Leagues of European Team Championships (June 20-21) are available, good field :yeah:

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7419&Itemid=2

Taz Warrior
06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
What a farce these rules for the European Team Championships are :o

The 3,000m was a total mess

Kolya
06-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Nice to see Rui Silva win the 1500m :yeah:

Okonsky
06-21-2009, 05:12 PM
I agree, Bubka's WR outdoor and indoor are probably 2 of the most difficult to break in world athletics.

I agree too. But 400m women (47.60) will last forever. Only miracle (if it calls miracle) can dethroned Marita Koch (oldest record > since Canbera 1985). Bubka's record is achievable (who knows when but still).

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Lavillenie just jumped 6.01 m in the pole vault! And he seems to have a bit of margin. We will hear a lot more from this guy.

I actually liked the European Team Championships in its new format!

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Just another French choker, lets see him do well in the major champs.

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Just another French choker, lets see him do well in the major champs.

True as that may (turn out to) be, there are only 6 people who have ever jumped higher than Lavillenie. Give credit where it's due, George.

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 08:33 PM
6m is cool and all, but got to do it in the majors, hence Okkert Brits is one who couldn't bring it. That is what counts.

Look at Asafa Powell, ran all the fast times, but wore pink in the finals.

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
6m is cool and all, but got to do it in the majors, hence Okkert Brits is one who couldn't bring it. That is what counts.

Look at Asafa Powell, ran all the fast times, but wore pink in the finals.

Rens Blom won the pole vault at the 2005 World Championships. I'm pretty sure Okkert Brits will be remembered better, though.

This year, Lavillenie has put himself on the map as a world class pole vaulter. Time will tell if he'll become a legendary one too.

Corswandt
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Odd that I was thinking about Okkert Brits just the other day. I remembered how he was pointed out as a potential rival/successor for Bubka back in the day (IIRC), but then I lost track of his career and didn't know if he had actually achieved much. Looks like he didn't.

But I'm only here to ask:

I) Who is this?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/customavatars/avatar2657_96.gif

II) Does she look this good seen from the front as well?

NIKKO84
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh! Alenka Bikar :drool: too bad the boobs (she has none) don't match the butt :rolleyes:

Corswandt
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh! Alenka Bikar

:drool:

Thanks. :hatoff:

too bad the boobs (she has none) don't match the butt :rolleyes:

Thought as much. :lol:

I had heard her name before, but of course I didn't know that there she was an Internet celebrity on account of her nether regions.

Athletes out of Slovenia I remember Bukovec. Had a fairytale run to a silver Olympic medal. IIRC it went something like: beat her own PB twice in previous rounds, and only finished 2nd because the winner was taller than her and threw herself forward over the finish line while Bukovec was already looking to the side to check her relative position to the others. This must have happened when I was an omnisports fan (mid 1990s). Checked: Atlanta 1996.

Kolya
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
LOL a lot Bikar clips on YouTube.

Purple Rainbow
06-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Tyson Gay is running fast with too much backwind... as usual! :p

And Bryan Clay is not going to the World Championships.

Kolya
06-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Tyson Gay is running fast with too much backwind... as usual! :p

And Bryan Clay is not going to the World Championships.

Why no Clay?

Hopefully Sebrle can win gold in Berlin.

Taz Warrior
06-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Why no Clay?

Hopefully Sebrle can win gold in Berlin.

Clay's got a hamstring injury and will miss the US trials :sad:

Truc
06-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Anyone going to the World Cup in Berlin in August? I am!!! :woohoo:Ich! I've got tickets for Thursday - 2nd decathlon day, high jump F, 110m hurdles, 200m M... I can't wait. I've never bought tickets so long in advance. I'm a huge Sebrle fan and it will be my first decathlon ever. Clay's withdrawal is a bummer, though. And as a Doucoure fan I have to experience one of his famous chokes in person.

Action Jackson
07-03-2009, 08:08 PM
They had a massive storm in Oslo for the Golden League, and now they are back on.

Isinbeyeva won with 4,71m she had a knee brace on and had no speed when she planted the pole, but still looked good.

The Oslo crowd is very knowledgeable. Thorkildsen is throwing too well, then again the conditions aren't helpful.

Action Jackson
07-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Tero Pitkämäki won the javelin and another Finnish dude was second, with Thorkildsen third. Big Andreas peaks for the major champs, that's the way to do it.

As for Bikar, well not many female sprinters are going to have big breasts, it's not exactly advantageous for them to do so.

Kolya
07-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Nice to see Borzakovskiy and Bekele win :D

Action Jackson
07-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Shit conditions in Lausanne, headwind, plenty of rain. Powell ran 10, 07 into -1.8m headwind. Robles speaking English was fun to hear and he handled it easily.

Action Jackson
07-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Bolt laid the smackdown on the field in the 200m running 19,59 on a wet track and Merrit was second in 20,40 that shows how far in front he was.

«Ivan»
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
rainy,windy but unstopable bolt:

bl0-LTPuA2E

:worship:

bad gambler
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
rainy,windy but unstopable bolt:

bl0-LTPuA2E

:worship:

What a freak wonder what he could have run in dry conditions

Action Jackson
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
He has Tyson Gay covered in the 200m, just want to see Gay fit and see how close he gets.

Okonsky
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Nowhere near Bolt.

The 4th fastest time ever. Meeting record into a headwind.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2qjdtvp.jpg

oz_boz
07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Totally sick :eek: below WR for sure hadn't there been headwind and rain, those made more than .3 s difference.

He has to be on something, then again the others in he top are as well so still more than just a little impressive.

Action Jackson
07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
oz, they are all on the juice.

The mens low jump is horrible to watch at the moment.

Zirconek
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM

It was nice to see Bába winning again in Lausanne :p

oz_boz
07-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Uchov 2.40 and you begin to hope for something, then it'll probably take another 10 years before next time it happens.

Holm was very good for his height, but still could never in hell match the WR, 2.40 for him was an extraordinary reslut even though it was done indoors. Couldn't stnad him in the beginning of his career, too much a sour loser, but he grew up :)

Then came Thomas who jumped his best when he had no technique :lol: just like Stefan predicted he would struggle even more when he had started thinking about how to do it. Laughable a guy with 1 year training was the best in the world.

Hope for a revival like on the ladies side, after some meager years with championships won on <2 m came Cloethe, Bergkvist, Slesarenko, Hellebaut, Vlasic and now Friedrich. Shame Vlasic might have missed out on the 2,10, she was the one who consistently really challenged it.

Other unfun events now are 400 hurdles m&w, middle distance m, heptathlon, long jump w.

Kolya
07-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Uchov 2.40 and you begin to hope for something, then it'll probably take another 10 years before next time it happens.

Holm was very good for his height, but still could never in hell match the WR, 2.40 for him was an extraordinary reslut even though it was done indoors. Couldn't stnad him in the beginning of his career, too much a sour loser, but he grew up :)

Then came Thomas who jumped his best when he had no technique :lol: just like Stefan predicted he would struggle even more when he had started thinking about how to do it. Laughable a guy with 1 year training was the best in the world.

Holm is actually 6 foot, people often think he is really short when standing next to 6"5'+ jumpers.

I hope Silnov can be World champ in Berlin.

Action Jackson
07-09-2009, 04:51 AM
It was nice to see Bába winning again in Lausanne :p

Clown height.

Hope for a revival like on the ladies side, after some meager years with championships won on <2 m came Cloethe, Bergkvist, Slesarenko, Hellebaut, Vlasic and now Friedrich. Shame Vlasic might have missed out on the 2,10, she was the one who consistently really challenged it.

Other unfun events now are 400 hurdles m&w, middle distance m, heptathlon, long jump w.

Ukhov doing 2.40 but that was indoors and I tend not to rate indoor performances that highly, you earn the respect outdoors. I still remember that Thränhardt, the guy was a genius indoors, but couldn't jump for shit outdoors.

Holm did very well for his height at this event, but anything over 2.40 wasn't happening. Bit like the Englishman before Steve Smith who was a brilliant junior but equalled this height of 2.37, but could never get over that. Give me the guys like Sjöberg, Avdeyenko, Sotomayor, Kemp, Partyka, Smith, Conway, Austin, Forsyth, Hoen, these guys could get it done. Now 2.34 gets a medal, during that time unless it was shit conditions, then such a height isn't getting it done.

I like Thomas seems like a fun guy, but winning after 1 years training, that makes a mockery of the event. Yes, the womens event is quite good to watch and not just looking at the long legs either, as a contest it's more interesting than the men. Vlasic = championship choker.

The mens middle distance events aren't too bad, though the 800m isn't as good as the days of Kipketer (Olympic choker), Rodal, Kiptoo. There won't be another Johnny Gray.

Kolya
07-09-2009, 08:47 AM
The mens middle distance events aren't too bad, though the 800m isn't as good as the days of Kipketer (Olympic choker), Rodal, Kiptoo. There won't be another Johnny Gray.

A bit harsh on Wilson Kipketer mate. Kipketer would have owned Rodal in the 1996 Olympics if politics didn't prevent him from entering.

He also lost his dominance when he caught malaria and was vulnerable in the 800 ever since.

Action Jackson
07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
A bit harsh on Wilson Kipketer mate. Kipketer would have owned Rodal in the 1996 Olympics if politics didn't prevent him from entering.

He also lost his dominance when he caught malaria and was vulnerable in the 800 ever since.

Not at all. He should have walked in the Sydney event, but he didn't have the Wilander's to step it up. Bucher at least had an excuse he got creamed.

El Guerrouj kicked everybody's arse, but failed to come up until at the end of his career. Powell another choker, when clearly dominant and yes he was still the best 800m runner in 2000.

Kolya
07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Not at all. He should have walked in the Sydney event, but he didn't have the Wilander's to step it up. Bucher at least had an excuse he got creamed.

El Guerrouj kicked everybody's arse, but failed to come up until at the end of his career. Powell another choker, when clearly dominant and yes he was still the best 800m runner in 2000.

Kipketer wasn't No. 1 in 2000 (well you can say he was No. 1 going into the 2000 season because he was World champion), he didn't even race in any of the Golden League events prior to the Olympics besides Zurich where he only came 3rd.

Action Jackson
07-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Kipketer wasn't No. 1 in 2000 (well you can say he was No. 1 going into the 2000 season because he was World champion), he didn't even race in any of the Golden League events prior to the Olympics besides Zurich where he only came 3rd.

When Nils Schumann wins a gold medal, then it's a clown event and poor from Kipketer.

Kolya
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
When Nils Schumann wins a gold medal, then it's a clown event and poor from Kipketer.

Indeed I was disappointed too but Schumann was the current European champion in the 800m then.

Ah well... such is sport.

oz_boz
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Holm is actually 6 foot, people often think he is really short when standing next to 6"5'+ jumpers.

I hope Silnov can be World champ in Berlin.

Holm is 5 foot 11, just average as a man and very very short for an athlete. Silnov has great potential as has Uchov, let's hope both guys hit form :)

Clown height.

Ukhov doing 2.40 but that was indoors and I tend not to rate indoor performances that highly, you earn the respect outdoors. I still remember that Thränhardt, the guy was a genius indoors, but couldn't jump for shit outdoors.

Holm did very well for his height at this event, but anything over 2.40 wasn't happening. Bit like the Englishman before Steve Smith who was a brilliant junior but equalled this height of 2.37, but could never get over that. Give me the guys like Sjöberg, Avdeyenko, Sotomayor, Kemp, Partyka, Smith, Conway, Austin, Forsyth, Hoen, these guys could get it done. Now 2.34 gets a medal, during that time unless it was shit conditions, then such a height isn't getting it done.

I like Thomas seems like a fun guy, but winning after 1 years training, that makes a mockery of the event. Yes, the womens event is quite good to watch and not just looking at the long legs either, as a contest it's more interesting than the men. Vlasic = championship choker.

Thränhardt not for shit outdoors a bit harsh, he was quite OK, at least PB 2,37. Hoen included, are you that patriotic ;) IMO not better than Holm actually - did he ever do any better than 2,36?

Middle distance: 800 quite OK as you say. I should have said 1500: no El Guerrouj, Morceli, Ngeny, Lagat, sub 3.30 not very common these days.

Action Jackson
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Holm is 5 foot 11, just average as a man and very very short for an athlete. Silnov has great potential as has Uchov, let's hope both guys hit form :)

Holm so wanted to be Patrik Sjöberg.

Thränhardt not for shit outdoors a bit harsh, he was quite OK, at least PB 2,37. Hoen included, are you that patriotic ;) IMO not better than Holm actually - did he ever do any better than 2,36?

Middle distance: 800 quite OK as you say. I should have said 1500: no El Guerrouj, Morceli, Ngeny, Lagat, sub 3.30 not very common these days.

If a guy goes over 2.40 and not just once, and can't get close outdoors, then he is shit outdoors at worst or a Mickey Mouse contender at best. Hoen didn't do 2.41 or 2.42 indoors did he. Hoen at least jumped decent heights at major champs, should have stuck around a bit longer, he'd get golds with 2.36.

Zirconek
07-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I really think Jaroslav Bába will be one of the top high jumpers in the next years, he is finally recovered from injury and is pretty young. He is being coached by Jan Janků, father of the Janků brothers (Tomas and Jan). Tomas achieved more than his brother, but Jan Jr. had such a style, I'm sure AJ will like his pictures and might remember of him:
http://www.atletika.cz/default.aspx?server=1&article=5485

Kolya
07-10-2009, 02:31 AM
BTW did Rashid Ramzi lose the 1500m Olympic gold?

That cheat...

800m is still alright because of Borzakovskiy :yeah:

Zirconek
07-10-2009, 02:32 AM
BTW did Rashid Ramzi lose the 1500m Olympic gold?

That cheat...

800m is still alright because of Borzakovskiy :yeah:

yep, the one competing for Bahrein, the sample B was positive for Cera.

Action Jackson
07-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Ramzi, the Moroccan who competed for Bahrain, both samples tested positive to drugs. It was like that Brahim Boulami who tested positive for EPO.

Tyson Gay ran 9.77 and Vlasic didn't win her jump. Phillips jumped 8.61 but it was a foul and not called.

Kolya
07-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Ramzi, the Moroccan who competed for Bahrain, both samples tested positive to drugs. It was like that Brahim Boulami who tested positive for EPO.

Tyson Gay ran 9.77 and Vlasic didn't win her jump. Phillips jumped 8.61 but it was a foul and not called.

Boulami :haha:

Crazy WR's in the steeplechase like 7 years back out of nowhere.

Purple Rainbow
07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Golden League Paris is on.
Waiting for Bolt. Could see something special today.

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Bolt will do what he needs to do. I see Gay is avoiding him, then again they will meet soon enough.

Good stuff between Thorkildsen and Pitkamaki, rivals on the track, but get on well off the track.

Purple Rainbow
07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Also, let's go Churandy Martina!!!

Purple Rainbow
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Very poor start by Bolt. Strange, but 9,79 doesn't sound as impreesive as it did 3 years ago.

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 08:50 PM
It was a good race from the other guys Bailey and Blake, one ran a national record and the other a PB.

The Jamaican relay team are going to have fun if they get the changes right. Carter, this Yohan Blake, Bolt and Powell.

Purple Rainbow
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
The Jamaican relay team are going to have fun if they get the changes right. Carter, this Yohan Blake, Bolt and Powell.

Scary thought.
Me and SuperFurryAnimal are going to the Athletics World Cup for 2 days. I just checked, we're there one the day of the 4x100 m final. :p

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Scary thought.
Me and SuperFurryAnimal are going to the Athletics World Cup for 2 days. I just checked, we're there one the day of the 4x100 m final. :p

I just wish the Americans make the final this time, so they can get slapped.

I rephrase that it won't be Nesta Carter, it will be Frater. The team they had in China was Carter, Frater, Bolt and Powell. As Bolt, Powell and Frater went 1,2,3 and Blake is running 9.9 not too bad.

shadows
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
yup Bailey and Blake were both pretty impressive. Next time conditions line up for Bolt I expect him to do something scary

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Seems like his speed is there, just needs to make sure he starts better, because that can fuck up in a big situation like in Berlin.

Kolya
07-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Bekele :worship:

Polikarpov
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/5899092/Five-Jamaican-sprinters-fail-drug-tests.html

Five Jamaican sprinters 'fail drug tests'

Five top Jamaican sprinters who had been selected for next month's World Athletics Championships in Berlin have tested positive for banned drugs, according to reports in Jamaica.

Although none of the athletes have been named, the Jamaica Observer has reported that the five athletes, four men and one woman, failed drug tests at last month's Jamaican Championships in Kingston. It is not clear whether they tested positive for the same substance.

The newspaper also reports that three of the athletes, two men and the woman, are members of the country's 4x100m relay squads. It says the sprinters are due to be informed of their failed tests later today.

If confirmed, the news will cast a dark shadow over the country's stunning successes at last summer's Beijing Olympics, where Usain Bolt won three gold medals and Jamaica six overall.

The country's athletics officials have steadfastly denied that the country's sprint triumphs have been built on anything but hard work, despite question marks about the number of no-notice, random drug tests that were carried out in Jamaica in the run-up to Beijing.

Bolt, the triple Olympic champion and the world record-holder in the 100m and 200m, is due to take on countryman Asafa Powell at tonight's Aviva London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace.

Earlier this month, Bolt addressed the issue of drugs in athletics and criticisms of the anti-doping system in Jamaica, most notably by former Olympic champion Carl Lewis.

Bolt admitted that as the world's top sprinter he was "tested all time", but that there was room for improvement in Jamaican drug-testing.

He told Channel 4 News on July 2: "In Jamaica we do not have the facilities but they do test now and then. But I get tested because when you are in the top 20 in the world you get random testing.

"I get tested a lot but we just do not get the facilities in Jamaica to do so much testing like in big countries such as the US.

"Drug testing generally is doing a good job at clamping down on athletes and the sport is getting cleaner."

MatchFederer
07-24-2009, 03:28 PM
...Shit.

tangerine_dream
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
And people still think Usain Bolt is for real? :spit:

Action Jackson
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
And people still think Usain Bolt is for real? :spit:

No one is clean in athletics.

Action Jackson
07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Should be fun to see who they are, the bottom three names seem likely.

Nesta Carter
Yohan Blake
Michael Frater

MatchFederer
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Should be fun to see who they are, the bottom three names seem likely.

Nesta Carter
Yohan Blake
Michael Frater

I'll go with those picks.

Action Jackson
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Tangy in classic clown form.

Must be relay runners.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/24/jamaica-sprinters-fail-drug-test

Five Jamaican sprinters 'fail drug tests
• None of island's top male sprinters involved
• Athletes had been selected for world championships

Five Jamaican athletes have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, according to newspaper reports in Jamaica. The athletes have not been named but the Jamaica Observer is reporting that all of them have been selected for the national team travelling to the world championships in Berlin next month.

None of the island's top male sprinters are thought to be involved, according to the newspapers' sources. The athletes reportedly failed tests at last month's Jamaican Championships, although it is as yet unclear which banned substances they are reported to have taken.

The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (Jadco), which is responsible for carrying out the tests, has refused to confirm or deny the reports.

But another Jamaican website, trackalerts.com, quotes Dr Herb Elliott – a high profile member of Jadco – speaking last night. "We are waiting to get some information and we are waiting on the facts – we will be making a statement on the matter," he is reported to have said.

Jelena
07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
four different Jamaican newspapers say different numbers between 3 and 7 athletes been caught. This shows that West Indies are likely to be a paradise for dopers, like it was stated by experts already before the Olympic Games.

KarlyM
07-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Hopefully for the sake of this already tainted sport, it isn't anyone very notable who won an Olympic medal. :unsure:

Action Jackson
07-25-2009, 02:50 AM
four different Jamaican newspapers say different numbers between 3 and 7 athletes been caught. This shows that West Indies are likely to be a paradise for dopers, like it was stated by experts already before the Olympic Games.

It doesn't indicate that all.

Kournikovaism
07-25-2009, 03:07 AM
It is probably all those women they have.

Also is it politically correct to call the region the West Indies. :shrug:

Normally doping issues I read involve Irish showjumpers so it is nice to see one not about us :lol:

MatchFederer
07-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Usain Bolt ran 9.91 into a -1.7 headwind last night in London.

_x6PcMqCI_M

Action Jackson
07-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Stevie Hooker talking that he is going to get Bubka's record, well someone has to, but not sure if it's him.

jmf07
07-25-2009, 05:30 AM
I havent been following much athletics this year and was just wondering who are Australia's big hopes for this year's World championships? Is it just the usual brigade like Hooker, Tallent, Rawlinson (if she is going) and Mclellan or are athletes like Lapierre in the long jump capable of putting in a good show? His results seem decent but he is getting basically no attention over here.

Action Jackson
07-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Hooker is the main one.

Kolya
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
I havent been following much athletics this year and was just wondering who are Australia's big hopes for this year's World championships? Is it just the usual brigade like Hooker, Tallent, Rawlinson (if she is going) and Mclellan or are athletes like Lapierre in the long jump capable of putting in a good show? His results seem decent but he is getting basically no attention over here.

I don't think Tallent can win any medals this year.

Burrow
07-25-2009, 07:03 AM
sprinting is the most pointless thing ever, what's it good for...

JolánGagó
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
all dopper fuckers, that's so obvious.

Purple Rainbow
07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
No post in Isinbayeva losing a match?
It must give her something to think about with only 1 month to go till the WC.

NIKKO84
07-26-2009, 03:40 PM
She probably won't jump 5 meters this year, but she'll have the gold medal, especially with Stuckzinsky (sp.) out with injury

Hopefully Brazilian Murer on the podium!!! she is lovely :D

Kournikovaism
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I was gutted for Yelena but I still think she will win WC. She is a real legend :) :) :)

Kolya
07-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Fixed :lol:

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/27/jamaica-drugs-athletics-conte

Three of five Jamaican athletes who tested positive are now known

• The 400m runners Fothergill and Spence are named
• 'Concentrations in samples probably high,' says Conte

The names of three of the five Jamaicans known to have tested positive for a banned substance are now in the public domain after two more athletes confirmed they had been notified of their results. Allodin Fothergill and Lansford Spence – both 400m runners who were in Jamaica's 4x400m relay squad at last year's Olympics – tested positive for methylxanthine, a substance not explicitly listed on the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) prohibited list but falling within a category of stimulants banned by the agency. The Commonwealth Games 100m champion Sheri-Ann Brooks has also received notification.

Usain Bolt's training partner Yohan Blake, 19, has been named by an official source although the sprinter has thus far refused to speak about it. None of the five was a medallist in Beijing but all had been selected for next month's World Championship team.

Commenting on the case, Victor Conte, the man behind the Balco clinic that supplied disgraced athletes Dwain Chambers and Marion Jones, said: "The quantitative amounts of the drug may play a huge role in the outcomes of these Jamaican doping cases.

"If the concentrations of methylxanthine and/or its metabolites were high, then they may have been using this substance to enhance their performances. If the concentrations found were consistent with someone unknowingly using the substance, then a reasonable explanation may get them a public warning. However, it seems probable that the concentrations found in the samples of these athletes may have been relatively high and that is why doping charges were brought against them."

The amount of methylxanthine found has not been officially confirmed yet, although some media are reporting a "trace". The hearing is expected to be held on Wednesday by the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA), if B sample results are available in time. According to a Jamaican official, the case could go either way. "If they can give a satisfactory explanation of how this was found in their system, they could receive a public warning but, if it is felt it was used to gain an unfair advantage, then they could get a two-year ban."

In Jamaica there has been a mixed response to the news. While the prime minister, Bruce Golding, called an emergency summit over the weekend Dr Herb Elliott of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission played down the findings as "nothing major". But according to Conte, who in 2005 pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute steroids and went on to serve four months in prison, methylxanthine possesses a number of performance enhancing qualities. "There is no question that methylxanthines can reduce fatigue and enhance athletic performance at appropriate dosages," he added.

Conte went on to describe methylxanthines as "bronchodilators [opening airways making it easier to breathe] and diuretic agents [sometimes used by athletes as masking agents]". He, however, said it would be "fairly easy" for an athlete accidently to consume a product containing methylxanthines and test positive.

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/116677/Bolt-is-positive-about-Blake-s-negative

BOLT IS POSITIVE ABOUT BLAKE’S NEGATIVE

Monday July 27,2009
By John Wragg

USAIN Bolt is defending his friend Yohan Blake as Jamaican athletics tries to limit the damage caused by positive drug tests.

Bolt was the star of Crystal Palace at the two-day Aviva London Grand Prix, but his scintillating form in his 100m and sprint relay wins was overshadowed.

Blake is the highest-profile of five Jamaican athletes to have failed tests and Bolt was surprised when told. Both men were in the relay team that won at Crystal Palace in the fourth fastest time ever, 37.46sec. “He’s all right, he’s all right,” Bolt said of Blake. “We have to wait until the ‘B’ sample is tested first before we know if it’s serious or not.

“It didn’t sound it, but we don’t know anything really. We have to wait for a press release. We’re not sure exactly what [the substance is] , they have to wait until the second test to be sure of what’s what or what should be done.” Marvin Anderson, Allodin Fothergill, Lansford Spence and Commonwealth Games 100m champion Sherry-Ann Brooks are believed to be the others who failed tests.

It is believed the ‘A’ sample was not performance enhancing, but more likely to have had traces of recreational drugs or supplements. They have to attend a hearing, which must be soon if they are to run at the World Championships. Bolt and Blake were in the Racers Track relay team, a crack Jamaican club where Glen Mills coaches Bolt, that scorched round Crystal Palace. The quartet was initially disqualified as Blake, 19, broke too quickly at the start of the second leg, but the judges changed their mind.

“I don’t know what is happening back home,” said Bolt, who is not involved in the probe. “All I know is that we have to wait for the results of the second tests.”

Blake, who ran a personal best 9.93sec to finish third behind Bolt in Paris and was second at Crystal Palace, did not answer questions.

Zirconek
08-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Ukhov jumped only 2.24m yesterday in Stockholm, maybe he had too much vodka again? :lol:

She probably won't jump 5 meters this year, but she'll have the gold medal, especially with Stuckzinsky (sp.) out with injury

Hopefully Brazilian Murer on the podium!!! she is lovely :D
Fabiana :D :yeah:

Kolya
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Russia's Berlin team

The team (including some reserves) -

MEN:
200m - Roman Smirnov
400m - Maksim Dyldin
4x400m relay - Dyldin, Konstantin Svechkar, Valentin Krugliakov, Anton Kokorin
800m - Yuriy Borzakovskiy
10,000m - Anatoliy Rybakov
400mh - Aleksandr Dereviagin
3000m S/C - Ildar Minshin
Marathon - Oleg Kulkov, Yuriy Abramov, Sergei Rybin, Mikhail Limaev
HJ - Ivan Ukhov, Yaroslav Rybakov, Andrei Tereshin
Pole Vault - Viktor Chistiakov, Aleksandr Gripich, Igor Pavlov
LJ - Aleksandr Menkov
Triple - Igor Spasovkhodskiy, Yevgeniy Plotnir
SP - Maksim Sidorov, Pavel Sof'in, Valeriy Kokoev
Discus - Bogdan Pizshalnikov, Nickolai Seduk
Hammer - Aleksei Zagorniy
Javelin - Sergei Makarov, Ilya Korotkov, Aleksandr Ivanov
Decathlon - Aleksei Sysoev, Aleksandr Pogorelov, Vasiliy Kharlamov
20km Race Walk - Valeriy Borchin, Petr Trofimov, Andrei Krivov
50km Race Walk - Denis Nizhegorodov, Sergei Kirdiapkin, Yuriy Andronov

WOMEN:
100m - Yevgeniya Polyakova, Anna Geflikh
200m - Yuliya Gushchina, Yelena Bolsun, Olga Zaitzeva
4x100m relay - Polyakova, Gushchina, Natalya Rusakova,Yulya Chermoshanskaya, Aleksandra Fedoriva
400m - Antonina Krivoshapka, Anastasiya Kapachinskaya, Ludmila Litvinova
4x400m relay - Krivoshapka, Kapachinskaya, Litvinova, Natalya Nazarova, Tatyana Firova, Natalya Antyukh
800m - Marya Savinova, Svetlana Kluka, Yeltna Kofanova
1500m - Anna Alminova, Natalya Evdokimova, Oksana Zbrozhek
5000m - Elizaveta Grechishnikova, Natalya Popova
10,000m - Liliya Shobukhova, Marya Konovalova, Kseniya Agafonova
100mh - Yuliya Kondakova, Tatyana Dektiareva, Yekaterina Shtepa
400mh - Yuliya Pechonkina, Natalya Antyukh, Yelena Churakova, Natalya Ivanova (substitute)
300m S/C - Yekaterina Volkova, Gulnara Galkina-Samitova, Yuliya Zarudneva, Yelena Sidorchenkova
marathon - Svetlana Zakharova, Naillya Ulamanova, Olga Glok, Alevtina Biktemirova, Lubov Morgunova
HJ - Anna Chicherova, Yelena Slesarenko, Svetlana Shkolina
Pole Vault - Yelena Isinbayeva, Yuliya Golubchikova, Aleksandra Kiriashova, Tatyana Polnova
LJ - Tatyana Lebedeva, Yelena Sokolova, Irina Meleshina, Olga Kucherenko
Triple - Tatyana Lebedeva, Nadazhda Alekhina, Anna Pyatykh
SP - Anna Avdeeva
Discus - Natalya Sadova, Svetlana Saikina
Hammer - Tatyana Lysenko
Javelin - Valeriya Zabruskova, Marya Abakumova
Heptathlon - Tatyana Chernova
20km Race Walk - Olga Kaniskina, Anisiya Kirdiapkina, Vera Sokolova, Larisa Emelianova

Zirconek
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Six Brazilians were caught by positive samples in the last days :o It was EPO. Athletes were in Germany training for the World Championships, now they are coming back to Brazil. We will have 39 athletes in Berlin, the medal hopes are Fabiana Murer (pole vault), Maureen Maggi and Jadel Gregório (both in triple jump).

http://esporte.uol.com.br/atletismo/ultimas/2009/08/04/ult4353u997.jhtm (in Portuguese)

Action Jackson
08-05-2009, 03:13 AM
http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/20427/48/

Substance found in athlete is Methylhexanamine

Tuesday, 04 August 2009

RJR Sports has been reliably informed that methylhexanamine is the substance which was found in the system of all five Jamaican athletes the National Senior Track and Field Championships in late June and not methylxanthine which was initially reported.

Methylhexanamine which can be found in four different forms including geranamine is used as a nasal decongestant and can also be found in dietary supplements and other products such as geranium oil.

In 2007, it was removed from the IAAF's list of banned substances as a stimulant but can be found in derivatives of amphetamines which are banned.

The five athletes Sherri Ann Brooks, Yohan Blake, Marvin Anderson, Lanceford Spence and Allodin Fothergill are expected to face a panel Wednesday to answer to charges of doping violation.

However, a highly placed official has told RJR Sports that the athletes could be absolved of an offence based on the nature of the substance.

In the meantime Brooks, Blake, Spence and Fothergill have been included in the IAAF 2009 World Championship squad.

Anderson has been left out due to injury.

Conflicting reports about this one.

Kolya
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Italy's Berlin TeamItalian team announced for Berlin World Championships
After two successive world bronze medals, Alex Schwazer finally wins global gold in the 50km walk (Getty Images)

After two successive world bronze medals, Alex Schwazer finally wins global gold in the 50km walk (Getty Images)
relnews

* Elisa Rigaudo storms to victory in Leamington Spa

The Italian squad for this month's 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Berlin, Germany (15 – 23 August) has been announced.

The 40-member squad includes reigning Olympic 50Km Race Walk champion Alex Schwazer, who also captured bronze in the event in Osaka, and Elisa Rigaudo, the Olympic bronze medallist in the 20Km Race Walk.

Defending silver medallist in the Long Jump Andrew Howe has been provisionally entered, but his participation is dependent upon his performance at a meeting in Grosseto later this week. 2003 World Pole Vault champion Giuseppe Gibilisco's entry is also provisional, pending his performance in Cottbus on Saturday (8 Aug).

Men (24):
100m - Fabio Cerutti
100m - Simone Collio
100m - Emanuele Di Gregorio
200/400 - Matteo Galvan
800 - Lukas Rifesser
1500 - Christian Obrist
5000 - Daniele Meucci
HJ - Giulio Ciotti
PV - Giuseppe Gibilisco
LJ - Andrew Howe
TJ - Fabrizio Donato
TJ - Daniele Greco
TJ - Fabrizio Schembri
DT - Giovanni Faloci
HT - Nicola Vizzoni
20Km Race Walk - Ivano Brugnetti
20Km Race Walk - Jean Jacques Nkouloukidi
20Km Race Walk - Giorgio Rubino
50Km Race Walk - Diego Cafagna
50Km Race Walk - Marco De Luca
50Km Race Walk - Alex Schwazer
4x100 - Maurizio Checcucci, Jean Jacques Riparelli
Marathon - Ruggero Pertile

Women (16):
400m - Libania Grenot
800m - Daniela Reina
800m/1500m - Elisa Cusma
5000m - Silvia Weissteiner
3000m st - Elena Romagnolo
HJ - Antonietta Di Martino
PV - Anna Giordano Bruno
TJ - Magdelin Martinez
SP - Chiara Rosa
HT - Clarissa Claretti
HT - Silvia Salis
20Km Race Walk - Elisa Rigaudo
20Km Race Walk - Valentina Trapletti
4x400m - Marta Milani

Zirconek
08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Six Brazilians were caught by positive samples in the last days :o It was EPO. Athletes were in Germany training for the World Championships, now they are coming back to Brazil. We will have 39 athletes in Berlin, the medal hopes are Fabiana Murer (pole vault), Maureen Maggi and Jadel Gregório (both in triple jump).

http://esporte.uol.com.br/atletismo/ultimas/2009/08/04/ult4353u997.jhtm (in Portuguese)

Coach Paiva Netto said it's all his fault and athletes didn't know what they were taking. Also said he wasn't warned by physiologist Pedro Balikian. :scratch: and that the out of competition anti-doping was probably because of a denounce, since it's not common in short distance runners.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/Noticias/Atletismo/0,,MUL1255731-16316,00-TREINADOR+ASSUME+CULPA+POR+DOPING+E+CLUBE+DIZ+QUE+ ATLETAS+SAO+VITIMAS.html

I have doubts if it was all a misunderstanding, but I really hope it was not tha athletes fault (although they should care about what's being introduced in their bodies by needles.

Zirconek
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
The medals (photo courtesy by People's Daily Online)
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/200908/05/P200908051048351759182762.jpg

and Berlino (the mascot)
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/200908/05/P200908051047501596111793.jpg

full story: http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90783/91323/6719187.html

Kolya
08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Rectangle medals... interesting...

Action Jackson
08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Best ever championship race.

CzJhUhM7_Yk

Kolya
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Best ever championship race.

CzJhUhM7_Yk

:lol:

Very, very fast especially for a final.

Too bad Rodal's form fell away after this.

Taz Warrior
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
^Yes it was a great race, probably helped by Kipketer's absence. That's not to take anything away from Rodal as it was a great time that he won in, it's just that with Kipketer not there the race was wide open and that probably helped the field relax a bit.

Kolya
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Spain's Berlin Team
Spain sends 51 to Berlin
Marta Domínguez on her way to a national steeplechase record in Malaga (Juan José Úbeda)

Marta Domínguez on her way to a national steeplechase record in Malaga (Juan José Úbeda)

The Spanish Athletics Federation (RFEA) will send 51 athletes (35 men and 16 women) to the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Berlin, Germany (15–23 Aug).

The team is led by its three medallists from Osaka 2007, silver medallist Javier ‘Paquillo Fernández’ (20km Race Walk), and bronze medallists Mayte Martínez (800m) and María Vasco (20km Race Walk).

One of the country’s other main medal chances in Berlin rest on the current world season leader in the women's 3000m Steeplechase, Marta Domínguez.

Team (Season Bests in brackets)

Men

100m: Ángel Rodríguez (10.41)
200m: Ángel Rodríguez (20.88)
800m: Manuel Olmedo (1:45.91), Luis Alberto Marco (1:46.47)
1500m: Reyes Estévez (3:38.63), Juan Carlos Higuero (3:32.59), Arturo Casado (3:34.05)
5000m: Alemayehu Bezabeh (13:10.10), Jesús España (13:10.73), Sergio Sánchez (13:21.79)
10,000m: Carlos Castillejo (27:48.80), Ayad Lamdassem (27:52.04), Manuel Penas (27:58.76)
Marathon: Chema Martínez (2h11:11), Rafael Iglesias (2h11:51), Pedro Nimo (2h12:10)
110m hurdles: Jackson Quiñónez (13.45), Felipe Vivancos (13.60)
3000m Steeplechase: José Luis Blanco (8:19.69), Eliseo Martín (8:22.63), Ángel Mullera (8:22.75)
High Jump: Javier Bermejo (2.28)
Long Jump: Luis Felipe Méliz (7.66)
Triple Jump: Andrés Capellán (16.24)
Shot Put: Manuel Martínez (20.39), Borja Vivas (20.01)
Discus: Mario Pestano (66.63), Frank Casañas (67.17)
Hammer: Javier Cienfuegos (74.77)
20km Race Walk: Javier ‘Paquillo Fernández’ (1h19:57), Juan Manuel Molina (1:23.02), José Ignacio Díaz (1h22:17)
50km Race Walk: Jesús Ángel García Bragado (3h46:27), Mikel Odriozola (3h53:13), Alejandro Cambil (3h53:51)
Decathlon: Agustín Félix (7789 p)

Women

800m: Mayte Martínez (2:00.21)
1500m: Natalia Rodríguez (4:04.82), Nuria Fernández (4:02.43), Iris Fuentes-Pila (4:05.57)
5000m: Judit Plá (15:31.68)
400m Hurdles: Laia Forcadell (57.85)
3000m Steeplechase: Marta Domínguez (9:09.39), Eva Arias (9:32.48), Diana Martín (9:43.11)
Marathon: Alessandra Aguilar (2h29:01)
High Jump: Ruth Beitia (2.01)
Pole Vault: Naroa Agirre (4.36)
Javelin: Mercedes Chilla (61.76)
Hammer: Berta Castells (68.06)
20km Race Walk: María Vasco (1h:32.53), Beatriz Pascual (1h29:54)

Kolya
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Japan's Berlin TeamJapan assembles a 57 strong Berlin squad
Koji Murofushi at the Kawasaki Super Meet (Kazutaka Eguchi./Agence SHOT)

Koji Murofushi at the Kawasaki Super Meet (Kazutaka Eguchi./Agence SHOT)
relnews

* Yuki Yamazaki of Japan on his way to winning the Pino Dordoni Memorial

Japan is sending a team of 31 men and 26 women to the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Berlin, Germany (15–23 Aug).

As well as the traditionally strong marathon squad, and Koji Murofushi in the Hammer Throw, the best medal hope for Japan, perhaps, is Yuki Yamazaki, a 50Km Race Walker. He is coached by Tsugumichi Suzuki, marathon coach, who guided Junko Asari to the marathon gold in the 1993 World Championships in Stuttgart.

Ken Nakamura for the IAAF

Team

Men

Sprints:
Masashi Eriguchi
Shintaro Kimura
Naoki Tsuakahara
Shiji Takahira
Hitoshi Saito
Kenji Fujimitsu
Yuzo Kanemaru
Hideyuki Hirose

Distance:
5000m: Yuichiro Ueno
10000m: Yuki Iwai

Marathon:
Satoshi Irifune
Masaya Shimizu
Kazuhiro Maeda
Arata Fujiwara
Atsushi Sato

Steeple Chase:
Yoshitaka Iwamizu

Hurdle:
110mH: Tasuku Tanonaka
400mH: Kenji Narisako
Kazuaki Yoshida

Jumps:
HJ: Naoyuki Daigo
PV: Daichi Sawano
Takafumi Suzuki
LJ: Daisuke Arakawa

Throw:
HT: Koji Murofushi
JT: Yukifumi Murakami

Multi:
Daisuke Ikeda

Race Walks:
Yuki Yamazaki
Koichiro Morioka
Tayakuki Tanii
Isamu Fujisawa
Yusuke Suzuki

Women

Sprints:
Momoko Takahashi
Chisato Fukushima
Mayumi Watanabe
Maki Wada
Asami Tanno
Mayu Sato
Miho Shingu

Distance:
Yurika Nakamura
Yuriko Kobayashi
Yukari Sahaku
Kayoko Fukushi

Marathon:
Yoshimi Ozaki
Yoko Shibui
Yoshiko Fujinaga
Yuri Kano
Yukiko Akaba

3000m Steeplechase:
Minori Hayakari

Hurdles
100mH: Asuka Terada
400mH:
Satomi Kubokura
Sayaka Aoki

Jumps:
PV: Takayo Kondo
LJ: Sachiko Masumi

Throw:
JT: Yuki Ebihara

20km Race Walk:
Masumi Fuchise
Mayumi Kawasaki
Kumi Otoshi

Action Jackson
08-11-2009, 06:32 AM
:lol:

Very, very fast especially for a final.

Too bad Rodal's form fell away after this.

^Yes it was a great race, probably helped by Kipketer's absence. That's not to take anything away from Rodal as it was a great time that he won in, it's just that with Kipketer not there the race was wide open and that probably helped the field relax a bit.

They need to bring back Johnny Gray, it's shit when championship races are run and won in 1.45.

Kipketer, the Olympic choker, as for Rodal, it doesn't matter he won the race and Johnny Gray always went out hard.

Action Jackson
08-11-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20090811T000000-0500_157212_OBS_ALL_CLEAR____BUT.asp

ALL CLEAR... BUT

Athletes freed of doping violations; JADCO set to appeal ruling

BY KAYON RAYNOR, Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

THE disciplinary committee of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) yesterday cleared the four athletes who returned positive results for banned substances at Jamaica's National Senior Trials between June 26 and 28, but the athletes' participation at the 12th IAAF World Championships in Berlin, Germany, remains in doubt.

Yohan Blake, Marvin Anderson, Allodin Fothergill and Lansford Spence got the verdict from the Kent Gammon-led disciplinary committee yesterday, thus joining Sheri-Ann Brooks, the fifth athlete, who was cleared of doping charges last Wednesday due to procedural errors with the testing of her 'B' sample.

However, late yesterday JADCO, in a press statement, said it would appeal the decision of its disciplinary committee. It also said it would appeal the earlier decision to clear Brooks.

At the same time, former Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA) boss and now NACAC president Neville 'Teddy' McCook yesterday told the Observer from Berlin that any thoughts of these athletes participating at the World Championships, which start on Saturday, should be dismissed.

Yesterday, Gammon told the Observer that his team did not find any evidence to sanction the remaining four athletes, following two days of deliberations after last Friday's hearing at the University of Technology.
McCOOK. anybody thinking about them (the five athletes) running in Berlin, can forget that

"We have considered all the evidence and we find that based on the evidence, the prohibited substance was not a substance that is on WADA's prohibited list and therefore we found that there were no anti-doping violation that occurred pursuant with section two of the Anti-doping Act and therefore we were unable to impose any sanction on the athletes," Gammon said. JADCO, he added, was in possession of the written ruling.

Bert Cameron and Dr Winston Isles were the other members of the disciplinary committee, which deliberated over the matter after receiving final summations from lawyers Dr Lloyd Barnett, Lincoln Eatmon, William Panton, John Leiba and Melrose Reid.

Gammon, who indicated that Blake, Anderson, Fothergill and Spence did not ask for their 'B' samples to be tested, disclosed for the first time that the name of the substance for which they returned Adverse Analytical Findings (AAF) is: 4-Methyl-2-Hexanamine.

"There were no 'B' samples tested with respect to the other four (athletes)," Gammon added.

The members of JADCO's appeals committee are chairman Justice Ransford Lanrin (Retired Appeals Court judge); Wesley James, vice-chairman; Lisa Palmer, Dr Mark Minott, Yvonne Kong and Allie McNab.

In its statement yesterday, JADCO said it operated independently of the disciplinary committee and "in light of the decision of the disciplinary panel it would enforce its rights by virtue of Section 21 of the Anti-Doping in Sport Act, 2008 and appeal the decision".

It added that JADCO was satisfied that Jamaica is a signatory to the WADA Code which demands strict adherence to the rules which are mandatory and binding.

The statement added that "all signatories to the code must adhere to the list of prohibited substances and methods issued by WADA each year and in this instance the list which came into effect on 1 January 2009".

JADCO also argued that "all four athletes were found with 4-Mehtly-2 Hexanamine in their urine samples which was reported as an Adverse Analytical Finding by the WADA accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada and that this substance is considered by WADA as being of similar chemical structure to Tuaminoheptane, which is listed as an example of a stimulant in the WADA 2009 prohibited list international standard".

But despite the ruling by JADCO's disciplinary committee, and the pending appeals, four of the athletes remain members of Jamaica's 46-member team to the 12th IAAF World Championships in Berlin. Anderson was withdrawn due to an injury.

However, McCook had no doubts that the athletes would not compete at the meet.

"The point is that regardless of what the (JADCO) tribunal do in Jamaica, it has to come to the IAAF. If the IAAF is not satisfied with the decision that was handed down, the IAAF will appeal against the decision by the Jamaica tribunal and once that is done, then it goes to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)," McCook told the Observer from Intercontinental Hotel in Berlin, where he is attending the IAAF Council meeting.

"That's the procedure, so anybody thinking about them (the five athletes) running in Berlin, can forget that. That's not going to happen at all because... they (JADCO) haven't even sent in a result yet to the IAAF. Up to when I left the meeting, the IAAF had not received any report from the tribunal. Once it goes to the CAS then they'll be automatically suspended until the hearing," added the former president of
the JAAA.

McCook noted that if the IAAF decides to take the matter to the CAS, it could cost the JAAA a huge sum.

"It is extremely costly to go to CAS. You are looking at anywhere between US$40,000 and $50,000," he said.
The World Championships are scheduled to run from August 15 to 23.

Taz Warrior
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Full entry lists for Berlin available here.

http://berlin.iaaf.org/mm/document/competitions/competition/05/26/10/20090809084836_httppostedfile_entrylist_9aug_12618 .pdf

Looking forward to it, I think there will be several competitive events although the overall quality might not be that high but that's usually the case in a post Olympic year.

Action Jackson
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that Gav, so the Jamaicans didn't name Blake then.

Taz Warrior
08-12-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/6018054/World-Athletics-IAAF-intervenes-to-keep-Asafa-Powell-in-Jamaican-team.html

World Athletics: IAAF intervenes to keep Asafa Powell in Jamaican team
International athletics chiefs have been forced to intervene to prevent another serious embarrassment for the sport in Berlin after Jamaica had threatened to kick three of the biggest stars of the World Championships, including former world 100 metres record holder Asafa Powell, out of their team.

The Jamaican Amateur Athletics Association, already beleaguered after a drugs controversy, had planned to ban six athletes including Powell, Olympic 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser and Beijing 400m hurdles gold medallist Melaine Walker for disciplinary reasons after they failed to attend a pre-World Championship training camp in Nuremburg.

But on a chaotic day in Berlin, the JAAA backed down after the International Association of Athletics Federations, fearing the loss of marquee names, put pressure on Jamaican officials to change their mind because the world governing body felt the athletes' exclusion would reflect badly on the championship.

Jamaican sprinters fail drug tests according to IAAF"We asked Jamaica to reconsider in the interest of sport," said Pierre Weiss, general secretary of the IAAF, knowing how crucial the week-long championships will be to restoring some of track and field's lost lustre.

There was considerable relief from organisers and the athletes' management when the drama was resolved on Wednesday night, especially since the men's 100m opens the championships this weekend and the absence of Powell, pitted against his compatriot, Olympic champion Usain Bolt, and America's defending champion Tyson Gay, would have robbed the event of one of its premier attractions.

The JAAA had been in a dispute with the six athletes after they missed a mandatory training camp last week. The JAAA wrote to the IAAF on Wednesday asking for the athletes' names to be removed from the start lists.

The athletes insisted they did not know the training camp was mandatory and had been on a separate camp.

The news of their exclusion also prompted outrage at the IAAF congress. "We didn't like it," Weiss said. "It is the IAAF's job to make sure nations field the strongest teams possible. The World Championships, that is our baby. We take care of our baby."

So the IAAF acted swiftly. "Some discussions happened and the Jamaican federation sent another letter asking that their earlier letter be withdrawn," said the MVP athletes' agent, Paul Doyle. "We are all relieved. It was all very unnecessary."

The Jamaicans' participation has rescued the championships' eagerly anticipated US-Caribbean sprint showdown. As well as Powell and Bolt versus Gay in the individual and sprint relays, Fraser, Kerron Stewart and Veronica Campbell-Brown face American Carmelita Jeter for women's 100m gold.

The dramas, though, continue Jamaica's nightmarish build-up. The IAAF is still waiting to receive documentation about the reinstatement by Jamaican authorities this week of five athletes who tested positive for the stimulant methylhexanamine but were reprieved amid confusion over whether the substance was officially on the banned list.

The Berlin championships, the IAAF said, would feature the most comprehensive drug-testing programme yet conducted with more than 1,000 samples to be collected before and during competition.

Nedved Rosicky
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.ethioberlin2009.com/News/?detail=1589257887

Tirunesh Dibaba, Sileshi Sihine ruled out of 10000m

Ethiopia's double Olympic 5000m and 10000m champion Tirunesh Dibaba and double Olympic 10000m silver medallist Sileshi Sihine have both failed to recover from injuries and have both been ruled out of the 10000m final, team officials confirmed today.

In an exclusive interview with www.ethioberlin2009.com, the Ethiopian team technical leader Dube Jillo said that the news is "a big blow" to the team's medal prospects.

"We had hoped that they would recover in time, but this is something unexpected and therefore, we are all very disappointed," he said. "They are both fantastic athletes and what remains is to ensure that they return back to full fitness."

Dube also disclosed that the team will wait for Tirunesh to make a recovery in time for the 5000m heats on Tuesday. "She has said 'I will try my best to run'," he added. "We will wait until the last minute to see if she can run."

The Ethiopian team will not be allowed to replace Tirunesh because she had qualified for Berlin 2009 on a wild card. But Sileshi's place in the team will go to Imane Merga, who is also named in the men's 5000m.

Kolya
08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.ethioberlin2009.com/News/?detail=1589257887

Tirunesh Dibaba, Sileshi Sihine ruled out of 10000m

Ethiopia's double Olympic 5000m and 10000m champion Tirunesh Dibaba and double Olympic 10000m silver medallist Sileshi Sihine have both failed to recover from injuries and have both been ruled out of the 10000m final, team officials confirmed today.

In an exclusive interview with www.ethioberlin2009.com, the Ethiopian team technical leader Dube Jillo said that the news is "a big blow" to the team's medal prospects.

"We had hoped that they would recover in time, but this is something unexpected and therefore, we are all very disappointed," he said. "They are both fantastic athletes and what remains is to ensure that they return back to full fitness."

Dube also disclosed that the team will wait for Tirunesh to make a recovery in time for the 5000m heats on Tuesday. "She has said 'I will try my best to run'," he added. "We will wait until the last minute to see if she can run."

The Ethiopian team will not be allowed to replace Tirunesh because she had qualified for Berlin 2009 on a wild card. But Sileshi's place in the team will go to Imane Merga, who is also named in the men's 5000m.

I'm very disappointed. Both are great athletes.

I like Sihine, the poor man Bekele.

Action Jackson
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
IAAF are going to make a decision on the Jamaican 5 shortly.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 04:37 AM
The fun starts tonight.

bad gambler
08-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Looking forward to it

Kolya
08-15-2009, 07:08 AM
20 km walk should be a good event for the Aussies.

Tallent and Adams have a good chance to grab a medal but it is going to be tough against Borchin, Fernandez, Sanchez and the Chinese.

1500m heats. Though I have lost interest in the 1500m since El Guerrouj retired it is always fun to watch. Interesting to see no Nick Willis, who I believe is running the 800m.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 07:17 AM
The walk isn't a proper event.

Taz Warrior
08-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Asafa Powell was lucky to come through his heat but that attitude there just demonstrates why he can't win a major championship :o

Kolya
08-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Asafa Powell was lucky to come through his heat but that attitude there just demonstrates why he can't win a major championship :o

Powell :haha:

Andi-M
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Powell :haha: wouldnt suprise me if he dosnt make final he's so :retard:

Bolt, and Gay looked good. As did Ohorugu, Richards and Sanders. I know Im GB bur I'd prefer Richards to win over Christine. Hope Jessica Ennis keeps up her good form.

Kolya
08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Though Action Jackson won't be happy.

Valeriy Borchin wins the the first gold of the WC with a dominating performance in the 20km walk.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Powell has always been a bit of a bitch, he has more injuries than Nadal according to him, as long as he is ready for the relay, then good.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Asafa didn't fuck around in the QF's, good run for 80m, had the field covered and good to see some more Caribbean guys doing well.

Bolt and Bailey, the training partners were having a stride through there in that QF, running 10.02 in the process.

Taz Warrior
08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
52nd time under 10secs for Powell to equal Maurice Greene - that is impressive :worship: but it's not what he'll be remembered for.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Great womens 10k race, the Kenyans and Ethiopians got down to business after the Mickey Mouse pace early on.

Masai covered more ground and was able to win, surprise that Defar didn't win, couldn't get clear as per usual.

Purple Rainbow
08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Some surprises today. Martina is out of the 100m and Taylor is out of the 400m hurdles.

The shot put final is brilliant. Majewski is very agile for such a big man. :)

Truc
08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
When are you going, Purple? Are you there already? I'm going tomorrow.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Too bad Kantwell won, but he doesn't have the Olympic gold.

Taz Warrior
08-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Good end to the women's 10K - really pleased to see Masai win after doing most of the work in the preceding laps.

Jess Ennis is looking great in the Heptathlon - there's a lot of pressure on her in the UK as she's receiving a lot of media attention as the big hope for GB athletics so good to see that she's coping with it well :D

Purple Rainbow
08-16-2009, 09:10 AM
When are you going, Purple? Are you there already? I'm going tomorrow.

Have fun!!

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Purple Rainbow
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Poor Jepkosgei. The 800 meter series can be very cruel.

Kolya
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Bolt v Gay.

Can't wait! :yeah:

Kournikovaism
08-16-2009, 05:33 PM
OMG we won a Silver

:bounce: :bounce:

SloKid
08-16-2009, 08:45 PM
What a fucking beast this Bolt.

Action Jackson
08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Huge from Bolt, donkey punched the field and made them look like elephants.

adee-gee
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Fuck me, he didn't even get a good start.

Oh and great stuff from Jessica Ennis as well :yeah: she's cute too :p

anon57
08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
9.58 No way, insane time from Bolt:worship:

Black Adam
08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Bolt! Simply out of this world.

Action Jackson
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM

One of the better things to come out of Sheffield.

Powell actually got a medal, the 4x100 relay record for Jamaica is going,

08-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow. That was amazing.

Bilbo
08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

too much muscles

athletics isn't the right sport to look for good-looking girls imo

Action Jackson
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Apart from Patton who gave up.

1 Usain Bolt JAM 9.58 (WR)