McEnroe, Borg, Edberg & Leconte to play in Copenhagen, Denmark [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

McEnroe, Borg, Edberg & Leconte to play in Copenhagen, Denmark

henningh
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
BGC Legends Live Tournament 2007 which will be held in KB-Hallen on the 13th and 14th November and be sponsored by BGC Partners.

This year’s tournament will see John McEnroe play in Copenhagen for the last time as he continues his farewell tour in selected countries around the world. Still undefeated on Danish soil, McEnroe will bow out of tennis as a player this year following a career spanning more than three decades, 17 grand slam titles and an amazing 167 wins in grand slams.

McEnroe will be joined by other legendary tennis players from the 1980’s including Björn Borg, Stefan Edberg and Henri Leconte. All four players will compete for the prize money of US$250,000 before His Royal Highness ‘The Prince Consort’ and a sell out crowd of over 3000 fans.

McEnroe will line up in the second semi-final against Björn Borg, one of his oldest rivals in tennis. Both players battled it out during four grand slam titles in the 1980s, with their finals match at Wimbledon in 1980 regarded as one of the finest grand slam finals of all time. Borg defeated McEnroe in the final to win his fifth Wimbledon title in a row, but McEnroe came back in 1981 to defeat Borg and win the first of his three Wimbledon titles. Known for his colourful temperament on court, McEnroe went on to be one of the most successful American tennis players of his era, building up an army of fans all over the world.

The other semi-final will bring together legends Stefan Edberg and Henri Leconte. Edberg caught the public’s eye for the first time in 1983, a year in which he won all four Grand Slam Junior Tournaments, something no-one had done before. Two years later, he won his first Grand Slam as a senior player in the Australian Open. Edberg last played in Denmark at Legends Live III in Århus in 2002, where he met Boris Becker in the final. Having played in Copenhagen many times before, Henri Leconte is a favorite amongst the audience through his stylish play and ability to entertain. Throughout his career he has been in many great finals and has among other trophies won the Davis Cup for France.

John McEnroe said, “I’m still here to win and I’m looking forward to returning to Copenhagen and giving the crowd an unforgettable tournament. Copenhagen has been a great place to play during my years as a professional so I hope I can go out with a win for my fans in Denmark who’ve supported me.”

PROGRAMME

Tuesday 13th November:
19.00 o’clock Semifinal Stefan Edberg VS. Henri Leconte
21.00 o’clock Semifinal John McEnroe VS. Björn Borg

Wednesday 14th November:
19.00 o’clock 3rd place Match
21.00 o’clock The final of BGC Legends Live Tournament 2007

TICKETS

Tickets for this great tournament are available at www.billetnet.dk or telephone
+45 7015 6565. Tickets are also available at all the post offices throughout Denmark.

Homepage: www.legendslive.dk

marcosz1985
08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
wow! it sound amazing but is too far from where i am! buhh
thaxs for the info

Haile Selassie
08-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Exactly Marcos what a pity for us :sad: but the danish public are really lucky to see the great players in the exhibition.

John is in great form, he is tranning a lot and playing some events for the senior circuit i dont know about Björn Borg form in these day but the american player is the favourite i guess