Babolat pure drive [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Babolat pure drive

K90
07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
what do you think of this racquet? any of you use it? do any of the pros actually use the new versions or are they the paintjobs of the older ones?

jazar
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
the babolat pure drive is one of the most popular rackets on the market for some strange reason. it would actually be better to play with a plank of wood rather than a pure drive. it is a horrible racket, has no feel and it takes no skill to use

Burrow
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
yes, i haven't the slightest clue why the pure drive is so popular.

jazar
07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
yes, i haven't the slightest clue why the pure drive is so popular.

cos people like andy roddick use it and cos its cheaper than a decent racket

K90
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
what about other babolats?

GlennMirnyi
07-31-2007, 04:47 AM
the babolat pure drive is one of the most popular rackets on the market for some strange reason. it would actually be better to play with a plank of wood rather than a pure drive. it is a horrible racket, has no feel and it takes no skill to use

There it goes the answer mate. ;)

K90
07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
so what you are saying is that moya for example has no skill? i dont think i agree with that, but ok. what about pure control?

GlennMirnyi
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
If you think pro players play with the rackets they sell us, then it's no use explaining any further.

jazar
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
what about other babolats?

its not just the pure drive that is rubbish, all babolats are. you really are better off playing with a plank of wood

K90
07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
If you think pro players play with the rackets they sell us, then it's no use explaining any further.

he uses a babolat, thats all im saying. customized or not

K90
07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
its not just the pure drive that is rubbish, all babolats are. you really are better off playing with a plank of wood

ok what racquets arent rubbish then in your opinion?

GlennMirnyi
08-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I'd say that he loves the classical Head Prestige.

I agree and I'd say the Wilson six-one or the Pro Staff are great rackets.

guga2120
08-01-2007, 03:04 AM
its very powerful, and its way too stiff imo, which just gives it more power. If you going to go Babolat the Aero pro does have some flex and feel to it, but its very light.

K90
08-01-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd say that he loves the classical Head Prestige.

I agree and I'd say the Wilson six-one or the Pro Staff are great rackets.

i think im buying a wilson soon, what do you think is better, the ncode or the new kfactor? im not sure about 90 or 95 either

GlennMirnyi
08-01-2007, 05:37 PM
i think im buying a wilson soon, what do you think is better, the ncode or the new kfactor? im not sure about 90 or 95 either

No idea. The n-code is pretty good, I just got a n-code nsix-one yesterday after some demo-ing. Never played with a k-factor. Just demo both and see what fits you best.

jazar
08-02-2007, 09:41 PM
ok what racquets arent rubbish then in your opinion?

its not an opinion, its a fact. babolat rackets are shit.

head and wilson make the best rackets. the prestige and the k61 95 are the best rackets on the market at the moment

jazar
08-02-2007, 09:42 PM

it really depends on what paint job you like best cos that is basically the only difference between them

gaz
08-08-2007, 03:06 PM
its not an opinion, its a fact. babolat rackets are shit.

head and wilson make the best rackets. the prestige and the k61 95 are the best rackets on the market at the moment

how can you say that name #2 in tennis rackets are shit - sort it out that is a personal preference is it not? you dont like them but it doesnt make them shit now i happen not to like wilson or head rackets but that is my preference

gaz
08-08-2007, 03:10 PM

that is not totally true tbh some do some dont

phillipoussis does - head iPrestige he bought them at queens club in london and bought 12 and got a 10% discount

roddick does to and so does nadal

federer's frame is however he adds approx 40g of weight and then has the grip shaven and a didnt material put on top to make it softer

jazar
08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
how can you say that name #2 in tennis rackets are shit - sort it out that is a personal preference is it not? you dont like them but it doesnt make them shit now i happen not to like wilson or head rackets but that is my preference

babolat rackets have as much feel as a plank of wood. pretty much all their rackets are the same. they have no decent technology in them. they are good to use if you want to stand at the back of the court and spank the ball as hard as possible and do nothing else.

and btw, do you know why they are the number 2 brand? its because they are cheap, not because they are good

Tankman
08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
babolat rackets have as much feel as a plank of wood. pretty much all their rackets are the same. they have no decent technology in them. they are good to use if you want to stand at the back of the court and spank the ball as hard as possible and do nothing else.

and btw, do you know why they are the number 2 brand? its because they are cheap, not because they are good

Having played with one for some time, I'd have to agree... though I wouldn't go as far as calling them complete rubbish. It's a baseliner's racquet- power hitting aka Roddick/Nadal style (which explains their choice of racquet). If you're after more variety and control, don't use a babolat.

But IMHO, if you're not a serious player, it really doesn't matter.

jazar
08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
But IMHO, if you're not a serious player, it really doesn't matter.

yep, if you aren't a serious player you wont be able to feel how crap the babolats are

akybo
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
what do you think of this racquet? any of you use it? do any of the pros actually use the new versions or are they the paintjobs of the older ones?
I have the + one and all I can say is that it's perfect for me.Before this I had a donnay pro one,with that I was able to hit powerfull shots from the baseline but with my new pd+ I can hit canon shots.I like beeing lighter and stiffer than other raquets but you can put lead tape anytime to make it heavier if the weight not suits you.Dont listen to the anti-babolat taliban's alliance,all I can see they are saying like:babolat bad,wilson good,oinc oinc!not saying that some no names are calling cheap and bad a pro player raquet.It's partialy true about "you need no skill" to use it,from that power it has it makes you develop a short swing(like those old man you see playing)if its' your first raquet and you just began to play tennis,but if you have already a full swing you need just to be able to play with some topspin;how much topspin depends of your skill,I can hit with full power flat shots too but it's not my play style.

spid_x
03-17-2008, 11:57 PM
What about BABOLAT AEROPRO DRIVE Cortex ?? Isn΄t good enough? And why does Nadal use it?

akybo
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
What about BABOLAT AEROPRO DRIVE Cortex ?? Isn΄t good enough? And why does Nadal use it?Nadal use aeropro drive no cortex with a cortex paint job.Bassically it's a puredrive head with aeropro throat.I didnt played with it but I heard you get more spin and control with some loos of power.
Nadal has an unique forhand and my personal opinion is that aeropro drive is made especially for him :)

spid_x
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
anyway. Which is your choise for a new raquet?

akybo
03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
anyway. Which is your choise for a new raquet?
I had for about 15 years a Donnay Tournament ProII midsize,practically I grew up with that racquet,now is broke so I bought a Puredrive after I heard good things about it.Allthough I like especially serving with it,it's a baseliner racquet and I am an allaround player,looking for control in every shot.At the net I can not get along with but I say-depdends on each player.I am used with the feel of that donnay had,that's why I order a new racquet wich is coming next week:yonex rds001 mid;I'll still keep the puredrive though.
Now to tell you what racquet is good for you,I can tell(like myself) depends a lot on what racquet you had before.

spid_x
03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I have an old Prince precision graphite pro 600. head size 97.
I want to buy a new raquet. I chose babolat aeropro cortex because it has the same head size.
But you said that it is not good enough. I am an amateur player.
What about wilson k factor raquets?

akybo
03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I have an old Prince precision graphite pro 600. head size 97.
I want to buy a new raquet. I chose babolat aeropro cortex because it has the same head size.
But you said that it is not good enough. I am an amateur player.
What about wilson k factor raquets?
About aeroprodrive cortex I said it's a racquet made for Nadal but I was jocking,I didnt played with it so I cant say more.
Yesterday I played a little with a Wilson K Factor Team(95")and allthough the weight is lower the my puredrive,it felt like it has more weight I think becouse it is even balance and it felt good to hit with it,a lot more control then my puredrive.
If you want so much aeroprodrive then go for it,my sugesstion is to demo these racquets,go in a store with tennis equipement and ask if you can;I would go for puredrive or k factor team both great racquets but totally different in playing.

gaz
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
here we go babolats are not rubbish you do not become number 2 in tennis through being rubbish

people like glenn have this thing against babolat for some unkown reason

a racket is a personal thing and should be tested before being purchased. all the babolat players use babolat rackets unlike safin etc.

the pure drive is a good allround racket

pure storm tour is a heavy racket ideal if you are a good level player, the pure storm is lighter and has all the benefits as the tour

the new storm tour ltd is the closest thing you will get to the classic prestige and unlike head have not ruined and have kept it to a performance racket

FootWork
04-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Lol, i play with a pure-drive. i wouldn't go so far as to say it's worse than a plank of wood (it most definitely is not)
but there are definitely better racquets on the market. for my next one i'm looking at Yonex. i've used them a few times and i think i'm in love.

akybo
04-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Lol, i play with a pure-drive. i wouldn't go so far as to say it's worse than a plank of wood (it most definitely is not)
but there are definitely better racquets on the market. for my next one i'm looking at Yonex. i've used them a few times and i think i'm in love.
What yonex racquet did you used?I recently bought a rds001 mid,I am doing fine with it,just play for 2 hours but the elastic feeling I have with it give me some second thoughts about it;I play in a few days with it again and I'll see what happens.

GlennMirnyi
04-15-2008, 01:58 AM
here we go babolats are not rubbish you do not become number 2 in tennis through being rubbish

people like glenn have this thing against babolat for some unkown reason

a racket is a personal thing and should be tested before being purchased. all the babolat players use babolat rackets unlike safin etc.

the pure drive is a good allround racket

pure storm tour is a heavy racket ideal if you are a good level player, the pure storm is lighter and has all the benefits as the tour

the new storm tour ltd is the closest thing you will get to the classic prestige and unlike head have not ruined and have kept it to a performance racket

Babolat = moonballers/clowns/pushers/grinders racket - it's awful.

gaz
04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
OH 'G' guess who is back glenn who thinks all people who use babolat are moonballers including Roddick what a muppet
and yet the most popular rackets at the grandslams

jazar
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
it takes less skill to use a babolat

GlennMirnyi
04-15-2008, 10:03 PM
OH 'G' guess who is back glenn who thinks all people who use babolat are moonballers including Roddick what a muppet
and yet the most popular rackets at the grandslams

I'm right. What can you do, really? Roddick = moonballer with a serve. :wavey:

GustavoM_Fan
04-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Today I used the Wilson K Factor 95 and is much better racquet than all Babolats

u really feel the weight of the racquet and playing with it is much more controllable and it is much more better funny.
but u has to how to do play tennis (a technique I mean) for enjoy this racquets

I prefer to use a graphite racquet from 90s than a Babolat :lol:

akybo
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
it takes less skill to use a babolat
Yes but on the other side you need to put more topspin to the ball to make the ball stay in court.As for the other parts,it doesnt differ from other 100" light frames->microgel extreme comes to mind.
About feel,I think it is more important for flat hitters to feel how deep their shots will be;a flat hitter will never take a babolat,my opinion.

jazar
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes but on the other side you need to put more topspin to the ball to make the ball stay in court.As for the other parts,it doesnt differ from other 100" light frames->microgel extreme comes to mind.
About feel,I think it is more important for flat hitters to feel how deep their shots will be;a flat hitter will never take a babolat,my opinion.

well, you're completely wrong there. most of the people i know who use babolat, going up from beginner level to pro, are flat hitters. flat hitters should prefer other brands, i.e. brands that make dense string pattern rackets, but thats not always the case.

and it is different from the other 100" rackets on the market: all the others are a lot better than it, with the exception of the microgel extreme, which was based on the pure drive and is just as bad

Tzar
04-17-2008, 03:40 AM

I think you already know the awnser ;)

GlennMirnyi
04-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Which racket you use, Jeronimo? :p

GustavoM_Fan
04-17-2008, 05:07 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=106746

following this thread. Head MicroGelExtreme . I had never used a Head racquet with this tecnology

GlennMirnyi
04-17-2008, 06:23 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=106746

following this thread. Head MicroGelExtreme . I had never used a Head racquet with this tecnology

The only good Head is the Prestige.

I use the lovely Ksix-one 90. :D

jazar
04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
The only good Head is the Prestige.

so true. thats why i have 8 of them

GustavoM_Fan
04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
what do u think about Flexpoint and Micro-Gel technology?

jazar
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
flexpoint is horrible, makes the racket play like a hinge. microgel is great, similar to the intelligence series, which is what i use.

akybo
04-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm right. What can you do, really? Roddick = moonballer with a serve. :wavey:
If Roddick is a moonballer with a serve then what are you:)
well, you're completely wrong there. most of the people i know who use babolat, going up from beginner level to pro, are flat hitters. flat hitters should prefer other brands, i.e. brands that make dense string pattern rackets, but thats not always the case.
Agreed with flat hitters should prefer other brands,I hit mostly flat and I naturally swich from babolat but today's game is more about spin.Anyway most babolat racquets are not players racquet as we know even in some descriptions they call it a "tweener" racquet but as you said more people use them from beginner level and dont wanna adapt to another racquet when they make it to pro so they customize it with lead tape and there you go.

jazar
04-20-2008, 03:57 PM

just because roddick has a big serve, doesnt mean he cant be a moonballer

akybo
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
just because roddick has a big serve, doesnt mean he cant be a moonballer
I didnt said that but if you already notice:it's true he has some kind of haotic game but it's far away to call him a moonballer.

jazar
04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I never said he was a moonballer. i just said that a player with a big serve doesnt necessarily have to have the attacking game to back it up

gaz
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
ok fair point but unlikely to have the fastest serve in world and play defensive

the bab rackets have the ability to to be customised and al lot of the pro's do it what federer has done to his racket is unbelievable have the grip shaved then built up again to make it softer and 40 grms of weight extra and still using the old sampras racket

tim henman always used a wilson

kavelnikov used to a have the bottom built up so his hand would not slip

you cant say that bab rackets are rubbish, a racket is a personal thing you will like some and not others i happen not to like wilson or head rackets doesnt make them bad rackets though. at the end of the day babolat are number 2 in racket sales in the world and number 1 in many countries

jazar
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
the bab rackets have the ability to to be customised and al lot of the pro's do it what federer has done to his racket is unbelievable have the grip shaved then built up again to make it softer and 40 grms of weight extra and still using the old sampras racket

federer is using a racket made from the n61 tour mold, but with custom drilled holes. and he has only added a little bit of weight to it to make it more evenly balanced. though for playing on clay he addeds further weight to the head, but nowhere near 40grams

gaz
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
that is what i was told by someone at wilson and wilson have a customisation service for their players which do the process for him

he has the the grip shaved to a softer material lower down then it is built bak up and then his leather grip

this is too make softer or something!?!

GlennMirnyi
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Agreed with flat hitters should prefer other brands,I hit mostly flat and I naturally swich from babolat but today's game is more about spin.Anyway most babolat racquets are not players racquet as we know even in some descriptions they call it a "tweener" racquet but as you said more people use them from beginner level and dont wanna adapt to another racquet when they make it to pro so they customize it with lead tape and there you go.

I'm not a moonballer I can assure that.

I didnt said that but if you already notice:it's true he has some kind of haotic game but it's far away to call him a moonballer.

Moonballer, grinder, pusher, it's all the same thing.

I never said he was a moonballer. i just said that a player with a big serve doesnt necessarily have to have the attacking game to back it up

Exactly. Roddick is a grinder with a serve. Even Russell is more offensive than him from the back.

gaz
04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
so if what you are saying roddick is a bad player then ?.....................

are yo as bad as roddick glenn?

gaz
04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
i take that as a no?

gaz
05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
GLENN is not as bad as roddick afterall

KaiserChief
05-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I read all the posts here and I think that you are forgeting that apart from Head and Wilson , there are some other brands which no one even mentions.
For example I have Fischer pro M Number one, 98 and it is perfect for me. It is quite heavy (335grams) and if you are not used to heavier racquets it will torn your hand apart in the beggining, but after some time you'll realise that it has wonderful feel, loads of power and the control is excellent.
Now even I found this racquet lighter than in fact is.
And it depends a lot what kind of string is used!!!

As for Babolat Pure Drive, which is considered bullshit here I think it is not that bad racquet. It is indeed baseliner raquet . Anyone tested here Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro Racquet? My hitting partner has it and I have tested it few times. It is 99% same as Babolat Pro Drive , complitely same thing. Like the people from Head had covered the Pro drive with their colors and signs.

jazar
05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Anyone tested here Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro Racquet? My hitting partner has it and I have tested it few times. It is 99% same as Babolat Pro Drive , complitely same thing. Like the people from Head had covered the Pro drive with their colors and signs.

the microgel extreme pro isnt exactly like the pure drive, as its 15 grams heavier. the standard micrgol extreme is the one that is exactly like the pure drive. and the reasons for that is because head copied it almost exactly

gaz
05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Despie Being 5 Gram Slighter And A Different Balance The Closest Racket To That Is The Pure Storm Where They Are The Same Except For 5mm On Balance

goldenboy_oscar
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM

I live in Canada and babolat rackets are about the same price as other brands like wilson,so i dont get it when you say they are cheap???I have an babolat aero pro and its the best racket i have had so far.My friend just bought the wilson 6.2 and i played with both rackets a few times and i think both rackets are good.Maybe you are a sales person for wilson lol

jazar
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe you are a sales person for wilson lol

i have no affiliation with any racket manufacturer. i work in a store that sells all the major racket brands and i sell people the racket i think is right for them, even if it is a shitty babolat

gaz
06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
why do you have this thing against babolat?

i personally dont like wilsons and never have done but doesnt make them bad rackets

jazar
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
why do you have this thing against babolat?

i personally dont like wilsons and never have done but doesnt make them bad rackets

every single babolat i have hit with, with the exception of the aero storm, has played just like a piece of wood. they are indescribably horrible and useless.

its jsut their rackets i'm against. they make very good string

GustavoM_Fan
06-24-2008, 07:36 AM
i have no affiliation with any racket manufacturer. i work in a store that sells all the major racket brands and i sell people the racket i think is right for them, even if it is a shitty babolat

to what people u sell a shitty babolat :lol:?

GlennMirnyi
06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
to what people u sell a shitty babolat :lol:?

Gaz seems to be a major buyer. :p :lol:

gindyo
06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I had the babolat pure drive and I loved the way it played from the first time I hit with it. I could put plenty of spin on the ball and had pretty good control. there are very few racquets I have liked from the first time I have hit with them. So I fell in love with the babolat. And here comes the bad part. Those raquets are so fragile that its not even funny. I have been stringing my own raquets for about 10 years now. And I have never broken a raquet while stringing it. Well that changed with one of my friend's babolats. I thought it broke because it was kind of old and it might have had pre-existing crack. So I bought myself 2 brand new babolat pure drives and guess what, I didn't even get the chance to hit with one of them, it broke on the machine again. I admit that my machine was a crappy one and I changed it after that incident, but I had had it for about 2 years and I had used it with a bunch of different raquets at higher tensions then the one which broke the two babolats, and never had a problem. So I replaced my stringing machine, and have been stringing the one babolat I have left on it at the minimum tension recommended.The frame is still holding up, but another problem appeared - the grommets. It looks like couple of them are broken and the string touches the frame which causes the string to brake at that spot. after having that happening twice (the last time the string had only 15 minutes play on it) I gave up and retired the pure drive. And now I am back to my old favourite HEAD CLASSIC. Another problem with the raquet is the string guard at the tip. It is very shallow and at certain points the string is very poorly protected from touching the court.

goldenboy_oscar
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I had the babolat pure drive and I loved the way it played from the first time I hit with it. I could put plenty of spin on the ball and had pretty good control. there are very few racquets I have liked from the first time I have hit with them. So I fell in love with the babolat. And here comes the bad part. Those raquets are so fragile that its not even funny. I have been stringing my own raquets for about 10 years now. And I have never broken a raquet while stringing it. Well that changed with one of my friend's babolats. I thought it broke because it was kind of old and it might have had pre-existing crack. So I bought myself 2 brand new babolat pure drives and guess what, I didn't even get the chance to hit with one of them, it broke on the machine again. I admit that my machine was a crappy one and I changed it after that incident, but I had had it for about 2 years and I had used it with a bunch of different raquets at higher tensions then the one which broke the two babolats, and never had a problem. So I replaced my stringing machine, and have been stringing the one babolat I have left on it at the minimum tension recommended.The frame is still holding up, but another problem appeared - the grommets. It looks like couple of them are broken and the string touches the frame which causes the string to brake at that spot. after having that happening twice (the last time the string had only 15 minutes play on it) I gave up and retired the pure drive. And now I am back to my old favourite HEAD CLASSIC. Another problem with the raquet is the string guard at the tip. It is very shallow and at certain points the string is very poorly protected from touching the court.I dont want to be a smart ass or anything but maybe you dont know how to string racket because my babolat as been strung twice this year and with no problem even the guy that strung it for me he told me that these are solid racket and we put the tension up to 67 if i wanted too.

ThizServe
06-26-2008, 01:44 AM
i believe babolats are decent racquets. i have a babolat aerostrom myself and i love it.
never tried the pure drive so i dont have an opinion about it.

jazar is right about the fact that the aerostorm is an excellent racquet though

jazar
06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
I dont want to be a smart ass or anything but maybe you dont know how to string racket because my babolat as been strung twice this year and with no problem even the guy that strung it for me he told me that these are solid racket and we put the tension up to 67 if i wanted too.

you must have gotten lucky then. i have heard many stories of babolats, particularly pure drives and pure drive roddicks, cracking when being strung at higher tensions, even at tensions still within the recommended range

gaz
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
i bought the pure drive about 4 years ago and they would both be strung at least once a week and always above 65 and never cracked in my machine
grommets are a problem in most rackets and you replace a grommet strip which can take a bit longer in the bab's due ti the unique design but only take between 5 and 15 mins once you have done a few

remember if you are stiringing at high tensions make sure it stays even on bith sides and when doing mains and start crosses from the top