Washington: under Higherlaw’s control [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Washington: under Higherlaw’s control

Hangdog
07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Vacation is over for now, so Arnaud is back on courts of Washington to defend his title and here we can hopefully expect at least two good moments:

1. Tournament reports from Higherlaw :worship:
2. No first round losses because Arnaud plays monsieur Bye in the first round :p

The second round is against the winner of Thomas Johansson vs Santiago Giraldo. And does anyone remember when was the last time Arnaud was the 4th seed?

Via
07-28-2007, 11:56 PM
under higherlaw's control? she doesn't even control this thread, you control freak :p :p :p

yes the draw is such that, even mika gets a bye. if arnaud doesn't win a few rounds, i'll consider it a disappointment :banghead:

on a related note, for a player ranked in 30's, and as 4th seed at washington no less, his fans forum is rather quiet, isn't it? ;) he must be old and ugly, i'm afraid ;) ;)

higherlaw
07-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Vacation is over for now, so Arnaud is back on courts of Washington to defend his title and here we can hopefully expect at least two good moments:

1. Tournament reports from Higherlaw :worship:
2. No first round losses because Arnaud plays monsieur Bye in the first round :p

The second round is against the winner of Thomas Johansson vs Santiago Giraldo. And does anyone remember when was the last time Arnaud was the 4th seed?

the thread name is too funny. not on the courts yet, but for the seb fans (i'm too tired to tell them in his thread) i saw him practicing with someone I didn't recognize and then with his coach. now without arnaud, he has no one to practice with and vice versa...but for their coaches. i'll let you know if i see them practicing together.

i saw no other french players on site.

under higherlaw's control? she doesn't even control this thread, you control freak :p :p :p

yes the draw is such that, even mika gets a bye. if arnaud doesn't win a few rounds, i'll consider it a disappointment :banghead:

on a related note, for a player ranked in 30's, and as 4th seed at washington no less, his fans forum is rather quiet, isn't it? ;) he must be old and ugly, i'm afraid ;) ;)

yes, it's all under my control :devil: didn't you know!! kind of a 'weak' field to begin with and then murray and gonzales dropped out. i'll be looking for haas!

slow start, but it's something...

and i just looked at the doubles draw--the are no frenchies playing, so what mika said was true!

Truc
07-29-2007, 09:42 AM
What did Mika say?
L'Équipe wrote yesterday Arnaud is going to play doubles with Richard in Montreal, I don't get why he isn't playing with Mika. They have a chance to qualify for the Masters Cup, why do they skip an AMS? Or are they already qualified with their Wimbledon title, does it work like the Singles Race?

Kezzi
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I guess it works like singles then, because I sure hope Arnaud and Mika aren't so stupid to pass a chance at the Masters Cup :rolleyes:

But for now:
Allez Arnaud! :bounce:

higherlaw
07-29-2007, 11:45 PM
What did Mika say?
L'Équipe wrote yesterday Arnaud is going to play doubles with Richard in Montreal, I don't get why he isn't playing with Mika. They have a chance to qualify for the Masters Cup, why do they skip an AMS? Or are they already qualified with their Wimbledon title, does it work like the Singles Race?

mika said after wimbledon that he and arnaud wouldn't play doubles again until the us open.

ok, today: arnaud practiced with mika. he appeared later wearing bright yellow/blue/green patterned board shorts with a turquoise shirt!:rolleyes: mika walked the long way around to the locker room without his shirt after practice.

then there was seb practicing with benneteau (he and his coach use the same hair bleach!). can't say that arnaud and seb's paths ever crossed....

oh and some much needed rain!

i know this isn't much, but it's only the beginning. Sorry i have no pix of those outrageous shorts!

higherlaw
07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
:wavey: totally forgot about all (?) you brunoholics!! yes, he was also there supervising arnaud's practice. :)

promise to take my camera today after missing a priceless picture! please no rain!

Hangdog
07-30-2007, 10:26 PM

The player's fans have become more fastidious? :lol: Well, anyway I hope with a new thread we can get more things to discuss. For example, Arnaud's new shorts LOL
the thread name is too funny. not on the courts yet, but for the seb fans (i'm too tired to tell them in his thread) i saw him practicing with someone I didn't recognize and then with his coach. now without arnaud, he has no one to practice with and vice versa...but for their coaches. i'll let you know if i see them practicing together.

i saw no other french players on site.

yes, it's all under my control :devil: didn't you know!! kind of a 'weak' field to begin with and then murray and gonzales dropped out. i'll be looking for haas!

slow start, but it's something...

and i just looked at the doubles draw--the are no frenchies playing, so what mika said was true!
Thanks from me as a fan of Seb. I thought different coaches has never been a problem for Frenchies to practise together :scratch: Now I don't see why it should change something between Seb and Arnaud. Though it is sure that sharing Bruno they could spend more time together...

The field was prepared well, thanks again lol Keep your control like that :yeah:
mika said after wimbledon that he and arnaud wouldn't play doubles again until the us open.

ok, today: arnaud practiced with mika. he appeared later wearing bright yellow/blue/green patterned board shorts with a turquoise shirt!:rolleyes: mika walked the long way around to the locker room without his shirt after practice.

then there was seb practicing with benneteau (he and his coach use the same hair bleach!). can't say that arnaud and seb's paths ever crossed....

oh and some much needed rain!

i know this isn't much, but it's only the beginning. Sorry i have no pix of those outrageous shorts!
Actually it was Arnaud himself who told about no doubles with Micka until US Open. Though it doesn't really matter. Now we just see that it was decided for sure and in advance so there must have been some real reason. Another mystery :rolleyes:

According your description Arnaud's shorts seem to be indeed outrageous :lol: I think last year I saw a picture from some North American tournament, maybe even Washington, too, where Arnaud was getting some special price and he wore a kind of outrageous shorts as well. Not really sure there were ones you've described but I'll try to find the picture. Perhaps it's another tradition: a special bandana, special shorts... lol

Good luck with the weather and again, thanks for your reports. Looking forward to images ;)

Via
07-31-2007, 03:23 AM
seb has been bundled out in 1st round by a russian who was only supposed to win on home soil :scratch:

as for arnaud and mika :scratch::scratch::scratch: maybe they aren't keen to play in november, can't wait for holidays as we already know :tape:

higherlaw, you should introduce yourself to arnaud when you get the chance, as the controller of his washington reporting at the world famous mtf ;)

Marine
07-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Good luck to Arnaud for his tournament.
Good luck to Higherlaw for supporting Arnaud (not always easy)

higherlaw
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
it's tuesday, but this is my monday report. i got there only in time to see arnaud slip away after practice with julien. :mad: although i heard he was around the grounds later, i missed him then too, but today is another day. he's not playing today, but my guess is he'll be practicing before the gates open as it's a packed schedule, so i can only hope! maybe he'll be watching mika's match?

i saw the seb match against kunitsyn. too bad for him. i have a few pix from the warmups before my stupid batteries died:mad: :mad: . i'll post them in a day or two on the seb section. i looked everywhere for arnaud watching seb's match and didn't see him or any frenchies. doesn't mean they weren't there, but i could not find them.

saw gael being mobbed by the kids.

hangdog, please do find that pic of arnaud in those shorts:worship: .

btw, arnaud is now ranked #30!
bye.

Truc
07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
as for arnaud and mika :scratch::scratch::scratch: maybe they aren't keen to play in november, can't wait for holidays as we already know :tape::lol: No, I looked up in the ATP rulebook, I didn't understand much, but it does mention Grand Slam winners in the part about the Doubles Masters Cup, so they are qualified for Shanghai, I guess.
Since Arnaud will play with Gasquet in Montreal, maybe it's for the DC, they want (or Forget wants them) to try out different pairings.

Thanks for the daily reports, higherlaw! Did you become a "Clémentarde" after having followed his run in Washington last year, btw? Or were you already a big fan before?

kiwi10is
07-31-2007, 04:40 PM
as for singles all Grand Slam winners qualify for Shanghai. The best players in the atp race will get the remaining places. And I think it is the same for doubles. So no worries!!

Truc
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Yep, the ATP rulebook says about the selection list for the doubles in Shanghai:
"b) Up to 2 Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned between 8 and 20 in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race as of that Monday"

I didn't get all the details, but "up to 2 GS winners" means Arnaud & Mika are qualified whatever happens at the USO, I suppose (the other GS winners so far are the Bryans and Knowles-Nestor, number 1 and 2 in the Race).

Hangdog
07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
seb has been bundled out in 1st round by a russian who was only supposed to win on home soil :scratch:

The continue of Russian nightmares :devil: Pauvre Seb...

Thanks everyone for checking and explaining the rules of the Masters Cup! That's a great news that Arnaud and Micka are qualified already :D

Higherlaw, thank you for the new report :) Hope Tuesday has brought you more chances to catch Arnaud! I do understand that thing with batteries, got a few chances to experience it in the past as well, when it comes in the most unwanted moment.
I did find the picture, according to the date it's from Washington 2006. But I have to resize it before posting and can't do it right now.

Via
07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
yup :worship: thanks truc and kiwi for clearing up about the doubles masters. i guess then arnaud and mika will want to go to shanghai... (just postponing some holiday plans :devil: ) after all it'll be good experience to get used to chinese customs before they head to beijing in 08.

i'll see if i can send my representatives to shanghai :aplot:

higherlaw, sounds like things are getting out of control on your end :hug: please keep trying! maybe wednesday will be your lucky day... and hopefully arnaud's too. he must feel like a king at washington, even andy roddick has to play on tuesday, but not king arnaud.

Truc
08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
There are some news in L'Équipe today and the part about Mika explains probably a little bit this strange decision about the doubles.
The baby is expected for next month, so he isn't focussed on tennis right now and wants to spend as much time as possible with Camille. He says he's going to play the qualies of Montreal and Cincy though, but then back to France before the US Open.

And the bad news is that Arnaud got injured (abs) while training at home too much. He wanted to resume the training ten days after Wimbledon, but he couldn't. If he wasn't title holder in Washington, he would have withdrawn, he says. He doesn't feel any pain anymore, but he isn't at 100% and doesn't know if he will be OK for matches. If he feels anything during the match, he will retire.
CLÉMENT CONVALESCENT. – Arnaud Clément n’arrive pas dans les meilleures conditions dans la capitale américaine pour défendre son titre. La « Clé » s’est blessé aux abdominaux lors d’une séance de musculation trop poussée à lamaison. Résultat : l’Aixois a presque été réduit au chômage technique (une heure de tennis tous les trois jours à la place des deux à trois heures quotidiennes). « Je voulais reprendre une dizaine de jours après Wimbledon, explique le numéro 3 français (30e ATP). Mais je me suis fait mal. Il n’y avait rien d’autre à faire que d’arrêter. Franchement, si je n’avais pas gagné l’année dernière, je ne serais pas venu. Je ne suis pas à 100 %. Mais je me suis dit qu’il valait mieux êtreaux États-Unis pour la tournée que rester en Europe. Je ne ressens pratiquement plus de douleurs. Mais je ne sais pas comment ça va évoluer en match. Si je sens que ça tire, j’arrête. Inutile de risquer la déchirure. »

LLODRA LA TÊTE AILLEURS. – Michaël Llodra a la tête ailleurs. Camille, son épouse, attend un heureux événement pour le mois prochain. Autant direque le futur papa, déjà père d’une petite Manon, ne rate pas une occasion de passer du temps en famille. « Je devais jouer à Newport. Mais je ne voulais pas partir, même si je sais que c’était un tournoi sur gazon et que j’y aurais fait de bons résultats. J’avais trop envie de rester en famille et de profiter de ma fille. » Le récent champion de Wimbledon (en double avec Arnaud Clément) a repris les entraînements en douceur. « J’ai réattaqué à Paris. Rien de spécial. L’essentiel était de retrouver mes marques. Physiquement, je vais bien. Mais ma fin de saison va être délicate », prévient- il. « Mika » va interrompre sa tournée américaine pour repasser par la France. « Si je ne le fais pas, j’explose. Je joue Washington et les qualifs de Montréal et Cincinnati, puis je repars une dizaine de jours en France avant de revenir pour l’US Open. »

higherlaw
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
There are some news in L'Équipe today and the part about Mika explains probably a little bit this strange decision about the doubles.
The baby is expected for next month, so he isn't focussed on tennis right now and wants to spend as much time as possible with Camille. He says he's going to play the qualies of Montreal and Cincy though, but then back to France before the US Open.

And the bad news is that Arnaud got injured (abs) while training at home too much. He wanted to resume the training ten days after Wimbledon, but he couldn't. If he wasn't title holder in Washington, he would have withdrawn, he says. He doesn't feel any pain anymore, but he isn't at 100% and doesn't know if he will be OK for matches. If he feels anything during the match, he will retire.

thanks for this truc. i sure hope he doesn't retire today.

yes, tuesday was a much better day for arnaud sightings. i do have pictures, but can't find the wire to link up my camera :sad: (always something). I'll try to do that later. i'm starting to feel like a stalker, so arnaud if you're reading this, i'm doing it all for your fans and i'm not a creep...

we got there before the gates opened and who do we see but seb practicing on one of the courts bordering the facility! it was hard to see through the mesh, but it looked like he was practicing with giraldo; odd since they had both lost. gates open and we beeline to grandstand where arnaud is practicing with julien. 40 minutes of that and julien sat down and arnaud continued with julien's coach. then, and i do have pictures of this, when they were done, bruno and julien's coach did pushups. then arnaud and julien did knuckle pushups, then bruno and the coach again. ok, if i were arnaud reading this i'd wonder why this is important, but...he wrung the sweat out of his shirt. ok, arnaud starts to walk over and does that fake 'i'm on the phone' thing even though it's clear he has some young fans waiting for him. a few autographs and no more than a "merci" to the kids who spoke french to him :confused:. bruno and the coach filed out with no smiles. julien did autographs and pics, but also, barely any conversation. although the kids didn't seem so put out about the lack of interest, i was slightly annoyed. i did not speak to them, but let the kids to the interacting. personally, i thought they could have done a little more for the kids, but...i have no fans, so i can't relate...

we moved on to the special access cafe just in time to see seb finishing lunch with his coach (what's his name again?), feeling like a stalker again i watch his every move including him talking to three women with matching pastel hats :rolleyes: who approached him, he was quite cordial. he left to the locker room (yes, i watched that too out the window) where i hope he saw arnaud. my actions started to confirm my feelings that i could be considered creepy...

watched two great matches after that and went to watch gael. roddick? safin? who cares. gael was great and i was impressed with klizac.

i went solo to watch mika against hasse. clearly it was hard for them to play on that tiny court with everything going on around them. i was surprised by mika's loopy forehand. mika was really mad at himself, throwing up his racquet, hitting the fence, yelling..yikes! during the second set tiebreak something happened to annoy him and he went to talk to the umpire, called for the supervisor, sat down and then threw his waterbottle on the court :rolleyes:. the supervisor came in and they got up and continued to play--he aced haase. i left during the third set, but now i know he lost.

wow, wonder if i forgot something, if so, i'll add it later with the pix. i'll do my best for pix at the match today.
love,
your friendly non-creepy non-stalker

ps re-reading this i realized i had nothing positive to say or put in any happy smilies, hmmm. can't wait for the ball kid situation today...

Kezzi
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I can't imagine Bruno without a smile :(
Where they sort of cranky the whole time? I really don't know them like that :sad:
And what do you mean with the fake phone thing? I also have never seen Arnaud being on the phone at all.

Hopefully you're still having fun there! And you will see the brothers smiling after a nice match or something :)

Via
08-01-2007, 11:20 PM
thanks higherlaw! great report :yeah: though it sux when the frenchies aren't in a friendly mood. but seb is always nice, he isn't that emotional, i think. even after a bad loss...

thanks for this truc. i sure hope he doesn't retire today.
that sounds likely from his sulky attitude! he must be mad with himself. though i don't understand why he called it a 'personal' reason when he pulled out of indy.

ok, arnaud starts to walk over and does that fake 'i'm on the phone' thing even though it's clear he has some young fans waiting for him.
:haha: i know that perfectly, because he had done that phone thing to me!!! :baby: and i am not a kid, who's he fooling lol

wow, wonder if i forgot something, if so, i'll add it later with the pix. i'll do my best for pix at the match today.
love,
your friendly non-creepy non-stalker

ps re-reading this i realized i had nothing positive to say or put in any happy smilies, hmmm. can't wait for the ball kid situation today...
thanks i'll be waiting for the pics! if you haven't seen any ball kid situation before, i do hope that you won't get to see it! the match is starting soon as i speak...... you aren't making me feel positive at all :o

Via
08-02-2007, 01:24 AM
i was away from the scoreboard for a while and arnaud has lost in 3 sets after winning the 1st 6-1... looks like he was broken late in the 3rd set :(

the match report might not be pretty :scared:

kukka
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Poor Arnaud... :sad: This won't do any good for his ranking... :eek:

Elina

higherlaw
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
he played great the first set, but then johansson perked up. i have pics of all that and more, but all the cropping is time-consuming, so will get back to that later

in the meantime, here's arnaud doing pushups...

higherlaw
08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
some from practice with a few for kezzi!

Kezzi
08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks! :hug:
Great view on that second one :devil:

I still don't understand why Bruno follows the example of Arnaud when he shaves his head, but not when the hair is growing back again :rolleyes:
And even though I like Bruno a whole lot, I still can't get used to that hair :(

Via
08-02-2007, 11:54 PM

:yeah:

that group push-up scene is hilarious :haha:

as for a red cap to go with the red shorts...... :tape:

higherlaw
08-06-2007, 03:43 PM
if you thought i had fallen off the face of the earth with my camera because i didn't post any more pictures, well...i wish i had :mad: . the pictures i took of arnaud's match with johansson are the worst i have ever taken and i clearly didn't confirm my settings. so, i apologize for blurry, out of focus arnaud. these are the best of the bunch:

higherlaw
08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
the only good one from set 3 :sad: and sorry the one picture in my last post is not rotated. i'll reedem myself next year!

higherlaw
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the daily reports, higherlaw! Did you become a "Clémentarde" after having followed his run in Washington last year, btw? Or were you already a big fan before?

aware of him before 2001 AO, then a big fan after that. happy to find you guys after washington 2006 :kiss: :kiss: .

:yeah:

as for a red cap to go with the red shorts...... :tape:

well then, you should have seen the black socks with the white shoes on the day i didn't have my camera :rolleyes:!

Thanks! :hug:
Great view on that second one :devil:

I still don't understand why Bruno follows the example of Arnaud when he shaves his head, but not when the hair is growing back again :rolleyes:
And even though I like Bruno a whole lot, I still can't get used to that hair :(

i thought you would like that one. here's a closeup of that head:

Kezzi
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
aware of him before 2001 AO, then a big fan after that. happy to find you guys after washington 2006 :kiss: :kiss: .

well then, you should have seen the black socks with the white shoes on the day i didn't have my camera :rolleyes:!

i thought you would like that one. here's a closeup of that head:
I'm sooooo tempted to send him a message with 'Please, let your hair grow again!' :awww: *imagine me on my knees begging him* (well, almost... it takes a little more to get me that desperate :p )

(Hopefully he reads this, then I can spare my knees next time they're in Holland ;))

Hangdog
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Higherlaw (what a positive avatar!), thanks for the last detailed reports and colourful pictures, they are really nice anyway! :yeah:
So I've found a couple of pictures of Arnaud in his outrageous shorts from the last year, hope now I'll be able to attach them here. I'm not sure about the source because I just found them on my computer. I only remember that he was getting some special price (the smartest outfit? lol) and it was watches. Have these shorts something to do with ones Arnaud wore this year?
I'm sooooo tempted to send him a message with 'Please, let your hair grow again!' :awww: *imagine me on my knees begging him* (well, almost... it takes a little more to get me that desperate :p )

(Hopefully he reads this, then I can spare my knees next time they're in Holland ;))
Looks like Bruno is not so up to changing his haircuts lol He was keeping his long hair a while longer than Arnaud and now he still can't manage to let his hair grow. Perhaps he prefers to try all the things on his brother first and then have a look what happens, then think a bit more, decide..? lol

higherlaw
08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
ah, hangdog, just logged in and found your pictures. yes, those are the same shorts; they look better with the white shirt than with the turquoise one i saw him in!:devil: He was receiving the 2006 Raymond Weil Sportsmanship award (a watch) voted on by the tournament staff and media. hmm, guess they don't let the ball kids vote! john isner got it this year.

glad you like my positive avatar, guess i'm still the only one with him. as for my pictures...:(

thanks for checking your computer and posting the pictures!

higherlaw
08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
:dance: my friend just sent me this link to a picture which just happens to show arnaud wearing the shirt i referenced in my last post. looks like from this poster's other pictures that this is from montreal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83042051@N00/1045318101/in/photostream/

is this getting trite?

Via
08-08-2007, 11:08 PM
if you thought i had fallen off the face of the earth with my camera because i didn't post any more pictures, well...i wish i had :mad: . the pictures i took of arnaud's match with johansson are the worst i have ever taken and i clearly didn't confirm my settings. so, i apologize for blurry, out of focus arnaud. these are the best of the bunch:
thanks for the pics :worship: don't worry we can still see the general scene, and they look better in thumbnails! :p you seemed to enjoy a very good vantage point from where you sat in the stadium :yeah:

Higherlaw (what a positive avatar!), thanks for the last detailed reports and colourful pictures, they are really nice anyway! :yeah:
So I've found a couple of pictures of Arnaud in his outrageous shorts from the last year, hope now I'll be able to attach them here. I'm not sure about the source because I just found them on my computer. I only remember that he was getting some special price (the smartest outfit? lol) and it was watches. Have these shorts something to do with ones Arnaud wore this year?

Looks like Bruno is not so up to changing his haircuts lol He was keeping his long hair a while longer than Arnaud and now he still can't manage to let his hair grow. Perhaps he prefers to try all the things on his brother first and then have a look what happens, then think a bit more, decide..? lol
those shorts wouldn't be out of place at all, if he had turned up on bondi beach in them, complete with the thongs :rolleyes: lol maybe every time he wins something, he thinks of us in australia :tape:

:dance: my friend just sent me this link to a picture which just happens to show arnaud wearing the shirt i referenced in my last post. looks like from this poster's other pictures that this is from montreal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83042051@N00/1045318101/in/photostream/

is this getting trite?
great find! i have yet to comb public galleries like flickr for photos, guess i haven't been desperate enough :p

those two look like they've just fallen out of bed.... um i don't mean together :bolt:

higherlaw
08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
thanks for the pics :worship: don't worry we can still see the general scene, and they look better in thumbnails! :p you seemed to enjoy a very good vantage point from where you sat in the stadium :yeah:

those shorts wouldn't be out of place at all, if he had turned up on bondi beach in them, complete with the thongs :rolleyes: lol maybe every time he wins something, he thinks of us in australia :tape:

great find! i have yet to comb public galleries like flickr for photos, guess i haven't been desperate enough :p

those two look like they've just fallen out of bed.... um i don't mean together :bolt:

most matches i had good seats, especially for gaels's two stadium matches and roddick vs karlovic. my pictures of roddick came out great, but i think he's a jerk so i thought that was ironic!

Hangdog
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
With Arnaud I won't even be surprised if he had turned up in Marseille in February in his lucky shorts... :devil:

Well, with your help I've learnt how board shorts look like and what a turquoise colour exactly is, now what about the thongs? Does this word refer to Arnaud's shoes on the picture?

Marine
08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the pics Higherlaw. You're now our reporter number one for the us ! :)

I don't think Roddick is a jerk. I mean, many people don't like him. Personly I hate his game, but I think he's a nice guy. He's always kind with poeple and the journalists in France. And I've just read an interview of him in tennis magazine, it confirms what I think.

higherlaw
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
With Arnaud I won't even be surprised if he had turned up in Marseille in February in his lucky shorts... :devil:

Well, with your help I've learnt how board shorts look like and what a turquoise colour exactly is, now what about the thongs? Does this word refer to Arnaud's shoes on the picture?

glad i could enlighten you on colors and fashion! those shoes in the u.s. are usually called flip flops (unless you're in hawaii where they call them rubber slippers). thongs to an american usually mean that certain type of underwear!

Thanks for the pics Higherlaw. You're now our reporter number one for the us ! :)

I don't think Roddick is a jerk. I mean, many people don't like him. Personly I hate his game, but I think he's a nice guy. He's always kind with poeple and the journalists in France. And I've just read an interview of him in tennis magazine, it confirms what I think.

thanks. i guess everyone has their favorites: some like others, when others don't :D . people think arnaud is a jerk when others don't...

Marine
08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
thanks. i guess everyone has their favorites: some like others, when others don't :D . people think arnaud is a jerk when others don't...

Right. I've a good example, but... :tape:

higherlaw
08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Right. I've a good example, but... :tape:

please tell.:angel:

Hangdog
08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
glad i could enlighten you on colors and fashion! those shoes in the u.s. are usually called flip flops (unless you're in hawaii where they call them rubber slippers). thongs to an american usually mean that certain type of underwear!
Thanks for this detailed explanation! Funny but my dictionary says that "thongs" is a US for "flip-flops", and I've just checked the Cambridge and it says the same. Anyway I suppose Via didn't mean that certain type of underwear..?

higherlaw
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for this detailed explanation! Funny but my dictionary says that "thongs" is a US for "flip-flops", and I've just checked the Cambridge and it says the same. Anyway I suppose Via didn't mean that certain type of underwear..?

...but no one in the u.s. would call them thongs (maybe in texas :haha: ?). yeah, i'm sure via means the shoes, but she needs to tell us what aussies call the underwear!?

Marine
08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
In french the word is "tongs" for the shoes.

Via
08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
:confused: thongs are rubber slippers, i don't know it ever means underwear!

i've heard from kristen that jurgen melzer (and other austrians, i suppose) wore socks with them :lol: i'm glad that arnaud's doing the style the right way :lol: