Concentration [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Concentration

Guille's Girl
05-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Ok I couldn't sleep and it was like 5 in the morning and I just so happened to be thinking about this.

Most players have something they do between games to concentrate. My brother calls it OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I have to totally agree with him cuz alot of player just have SOMETHING that they MUST do between games or even points. Agassi is a perfect example. Between points, he has to towel off. Every time. Go to the back stop, ask for the towel, take the hat off, wipe his face then his head, put the hat half-way back on his head, throw the towel on his shoulder, ask for 3 balls, looks, puts one away, puts another in his pocket, gives the towel back, put his hat on right then back to the service line! Ok, most players towel off just to have thinking time. But Guille doesn't. So then I was thinkin', what does Guille do for concentration??? Sometimes he'll ask for 5 balls before he picks 2 (LMAO only 6 balls in play). But he doesn't really have anything completely OBVIOUS that he does. Like, Roger has to look at the sun then straighten his hair, Lleyton has to straighten his strings, Andy has to pull up his sleeves, JC twirls his racquet continuosly. Y'all get what I'm trying to say. OH!!! But uhm, in Miami, Gonzalez was serving for he match y'all know it. Guille just so happened to have a ball. Y'all know the thing he does, balancing the ball on his racquet and all that incredible stuff. He says he does that for concentration BUT that's an understatement. He's focused through mostly the entire match but after he does the bit with the ball and everything? I think he's puttin himself under hypnosis LMAO

star
05-17-2004, 04:36 PM
AND he doesn't do the ball balancing thing any more at ALL. I loved the ball balancing, but I didn't see him do it ONE time at IW. I think he has stopped doing that.

He does touch his forehead.... like wiping away stray hairs or something, but I noticed he did that a lot in his interview too.

He's very quiet on the court and that is one of the things I like about him.

alfonsojose
05-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Those are rituals. Everybody has them. Even more on a tennis court. It's a way to get focused or to calm down. But when those rituals start to dominate your ordinary life and you can't control them, they become OCD. It's a serious disease. People have to do weird things 'coz they feel something wrong is going to happen if they don't do it. At the same time, they know that's wrong but they can't help it so it generates stress, fear and the feeling of being crazy. Did you see Nicolas Cage's role on "Matchstick men" or Jack Nicholson's in "As good as it gets". They had OCD

Carito_90
05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
AND he doesn't do the ball balancing thing any more at ALL.

Yes he does. He did the ball balancing a few times in Hamburg :)

I've noticed that every time a point ends, Guille walks a lil bit to the front, and then he comes back. He did that like a thousand times in Hamburg! lol

He's very quiet on the court and that is one of the things I like about him.

Yah that's true, apart from what i said before, he's a quiet guy on court. Takes his time to choose the balls, to grets prepared to serve, bounces the balls several times, and theeeen after all that he finally serves lol Nothing to do with Roddick or Agassi for example.

argiesf
05-17-2004, 07:13 PM
BALANCING ACT

Safin_Henman
05-17-2004, 07:48 PM
whoa! :eek:
is that what you guys mean by the balancing thing?
i didn't know what you guys were talking about cause i've never seen Guill do it before.....probably because i haven't seen many of his matches :sad:
thats pretty cool! :p

tegan
05-17-2004, 08:32 PM
whoa!
is that what you guys mean by the balancing thing?

actually, that's the last part of the 'balancing act'. :lol:

he rolls the ball up and down the side of the frame of his racquet and then pops it up in the air with the butt of his grip. (that's the part you see in the picture). it's a pretty cool 'trick' (hey - El Mago, no? ;) ...and the really cool part of the whole thing is how incredibly concentrated he looks while he's doing it. :yeah:

Carito_90
05-17-2004, 10:51 PM
he rolls the ball up and down the side of the frame of his racquet and then pops it up in the air with the butt of his grip

and then the ball falls in his hand :)
Sometimes he just bounces the ball a bunch of times in the side of the frame of his racket :) i've tried it... it's damn hard! :lol:

and the really cool part of the whole thing is how incredibly concentrated he looks while he's doing it

LOL! i know!! it's funny lol

Guille's Girl
05-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Sorry if I offened you Alfonso. I know what OCD is, I was just using a bit of over exaggeration.

OK! Yeah I've never seen him do the whole thing with the ball. I saw him do part of it in Miami but that's the only time.

Carito_90
05-18-2004, 02:58 AM
oh he did that in Hamburg, GG!
They were repeating it over and over again, and Javier Frana said "okay, try this at home and then tell us how many windows did u break!" LOL!!

alita
05-18-2004, 03:39 AM
So interesting! I love to see that!!:hearts: thanks for the pic~ It really cool as you guys said!!:yeah:

Safin_Henman
05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
i really wanna see this trick now!!!