Are touring pros using natural gut strings? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are touring pros using natural gut strings?

empressdiver
07-25-2007, 09:48 PM
After using nylon strings for about thirty years, I started using natural gut strings several months ago, and it has been a really positive change for me. In the past, all I ever heard were negative comments about how expensive it is, how quickly it breaks, how dampness damages it, etc. Anyway now, I am definitely going to stay with natural gut since it works so well for me.

But my question to you all is, are touring pros using natural gut? Do any of you have first-hand or reliable second-hand knowledge of whether many pros are using natural gut? Are they stringing the whole racquet in gut or just the mains or crosses, and if so, what other string do they use in combination with gut?

tennisplayer89
07-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Pros use practically every type of string made. I am sure that some use natural gut. Some probably only string it in the crosses and some probably string the whole racquet with it. I know a lot of people who like to use big banger in combination with gut.

jazar
07-26-2007, 07:50 AM
quite a lot of pro's use natural gut. it has great feel but doesnt last

gaz
07-26-2007, 08:54 AM
as a person who has strung at wimbledon a lot of players use a polyester string such as pro hurricane and big banger
nadal pro hurricane tour all over

quite a lot of the players using gut will use it on the crosses with a poly string on the mains
federer- big banger mains - bab vs gut crosses
roddick - pro hurricane (m) - bab vs gut (c)

johannson as i am aware used bab vs gut all over

gaz
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
i hope that helps and answers you question

klinsi
10-19-2007, 12:17 AM
they do...a lot of them nowadays make a hybdrid of polyester and natural gut...