Hewitt 'could quit tennis' [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt 'could quit tennis'

TheBoiledEgg
08-19-2002, 01:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2202897.stm

Lleyton Hewitt could follow the legendary Bjorn Borg in walking away from the game early, according to Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee.
McNamee spoke out after the world number one was left fuming at a $103,000 fine handed out to him at the Cincinnati Masters earlier this month.

Hewitt called the ATP a badly-run "circus" and threatened to skip many of their tournaments from next year.

Former Wimbledon doubles champion McNamee said the ATP should learn from the loss of Borg, who walked away from the game when just 27 years old.

"Let's look at history here and sort out the problems in the sport which Lleyton has taken the lid off," McNamee told the Australian Associated Press (AAP).

"They have been there for a while and nobody has been prepared to talk about them. Go back 20 years...we lost a number one (Bjorn Borg)."

Borg retired in 1982 after a dispute over his plans for a four-month break from tennis.

"He wasn't allowed direct entry into tournaments as the number one in the world," McNamee said.

"And he had to play qualifying at Las Vegas and Monte Carlo which he had won.

"Because Grand Slams were independent he got a wildcard into the French Open, which he won, and he lost in the final of Wimbledon and the US Open. And then he quit.

"That is what happened. So we should take this pretty seriously."

Hewitt was fined after refusing to conduct an interview with host broadcasters ESPN before his first-round match in Cincinnati.

He told Sydney's Sunday Telegraph: "I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage.

"Next year I couldn't give two hoots about the number one ranking."

Tennis Australia (TA) president Geoff Pollard has written to the ATP to raise his concern about the level of the fine, AAP reported

tennischick
08-19-2002, 02:08 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bye hewitt!

SanTaureau Fan
08-19-2002, 02:38 PM
buh-bye :kiss:

:wavey:

mmm!marat
08-19-2002, 02:53 PM
bye :wavey:

fcap
08-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Err he wont quit!! he's Just annoyed at ATP and has a good reason to be !! :rolleyes:

Dissident
08-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Oh geesh, that sentence wasnt serious. And if he was, I wonder where he was when Wimbledon was fu**ing up with the rankings to make the seeds like they wish.
I mean, if a fine makes him wanna quit, and if he is so concerned about the way they treat players, why didnt he open his mouth there? Oh yes, he cares about his own a** and thats it.

irma
08-19-2002, 03:29 PM
If he was Andre they would change the rules :D

Nimi
08-19-2002, 05:33 PM
lol Irma unfortunetly you are right...

TennisHack
08-19-2002, 06:24 PM
This is why I hate Hewitt and his attitude. He can be a real asshole sometimes. Does he think the Tour would lack without him? How f'in selfish can he be?!?!?!

The comparison with Borg is out of line. Borg was a better player than Hewitt will ever be. Yes, he left tennis at an early age, but it was because he wanted to, because he felt he had accomplished everything he could. And look at him now: he's revered.

If Hewitt keeps up this attitude, he'll never be revered as the great player he can be.

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 06:31 PM
I like Hewitts never say die attitude, and he doesn't really seem to be showing that here...

I read "They don't run things quite how I like, so maybe I'll just quit" - where is the fire power? Things dont change for the better if you just walk away from them.

If he is actually that concerned then he should stick around, get into tour politics, and try to make a change.

I DO find it hard to root for someone who flat out says they don't care :confused:

If he just wants to quit cause he is sick of it, then that is a different topic all together, and all of what i said can be thrown out ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 06:33 PM
That said, it is unfortunate that the ATP doesn't seem to be making much of an effort to get along with, and market their number one player better :confused:

I see a lot of fault on both ends here.

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 06:36 PM
But lol @ the big old "thumbs up" icon from Eggy ;)

luvbadboys
08-19-2002, 07:12 PM
I for one do not want him to quit he's the best thing to happen to the ATP just like Martina H. shook up the WTA. Also I'm starting to believe that the ATP feels that if their pets are badboys it's ok and if non-pets, watch out!!!

Tennis will survive without Lleyton but I don't know what message the ATP is sending to its players.

Lindsayfan
08-19-2002, 07:31 PM
lol@hewitt very funny! :D

Scotso
08-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Lleyton won't quit.

I think it's both funny and pathetic people are cheering for this, however I guess that since some of your faves can't do shit in comparison, it really improves their chances should Lleyton move on.

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 08:34 PM
My faves all have pretty decent records against hewitt :D

*then again I wasn't cheering for this*

:p

Angele
08-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by TennisHack
This is why I hate Hewitt and his attitude. He can be a real asshole sometimes. Does he think the Tour would lack without him? How f'in selfish can he be?!?!?!

The comparison with Borg is out of line. Borg was a better player than Hewitt will ever be. Yes, he left tennis at an early age, but it was because he wanted to, because he felt he had accomplished everything he could. And look at him now: he's revered.

If Hewitt keeps up this attitude, he'll never be revered as the great player he can be.

Please relax! You're making it sound like Lleyton said he would quit or that Lleyton compared himself to Borg! Lleyton said he would play a reduced number of tournaments... it's this McNamee guy that came out with all the "he might quit" stuff! And he's sick of the atp... that doesn't mean he thinks he's better than the tour. People quit their jobs all the time because their sick of their bosses!

Anyways I'd like you, or anybody else, to explain to me why Lleyton playing a reduced number of tournaments is so evil? Agassi does it... I don't see anybody saying how he thinks he's so much above the tour or how he's so f*cking selfish!

TennisHack
08-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by angele87
Please relax! You're making it sound like Lleyton said he would quit or that Lleyton compared himself to Borg! Lleyton said he would play a reduced number of tournaments... it's this McNamee guy that came out with all the "he might quit" stuff! And he's sick of the atp... that doesn't mean he thinks he's better than the tour. People quit their jobs all the time because their sick of their bosses!

Anyways I'd like you, or anybody else, to explain to me why Lleyton playing a reduced number of tournaments is so evil? Agassi does it... I don't see anybody saying how he thinks he's so much above the tour or how he's so f*cking selfish!

:rolleyes:

I was pissed off at that article, but I certainly didn't get my panties in a twist. Excuse me for my outburst, Christ I didn't know I wasn't allowed to get angry. I'll play nice next time.

To answer your question, though. I couldn't give a damn what Hewitt does or doesn't do, it's just this attitude that if he left tennis, he'd somehow decimate the sport. Excuse me for believing otherwise.

Angele
08-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by TennisHack

:rolleyes:

I was pissed off at that article, but I certainly didn't get my panties in a twist. Excuse me for my outburst, Christ I didn't know I wasn't allowed to get angry. I'll play nice next time.

To answer your question, though. I couldn't give a damn what Hewitt does or doesn't do, it's just this attitude that if he left tennis, he'd somehow decimate the sport. Excuse me for believing otherwise.

You obviously didn't understand my post... or perhaps you did and weren't replying to me desptie quoting me in your reply :confused: I never said you shouldn't get angry but if you're going to call somebody a f*cking asshole don't be surprised if somebody asks you why, which is exactly what I am doing :confused: Lleyton critized the way the atp is run and said that if they weren't going to be more reasonable he was going to do what was more important to him, aka the grand slams, instead of what was important for the tour, aka all those masters events.... Although I somewhat agree that he's being selfish but who can blame him? The atp are being selfish showing no regards to the players so all he's doing is returning the favor! I look forward to knowing why Lleyton is such an asshole for playing less tournaments...

P.S If you get so angry about something you don't give a damn about, i'd hate to see you fighting for a cause you believe in :eek: :eek:

christinaE
08-19-2002, 11:32 PM
I have not heard of any other players coming out to support Lleyton in his feud with the ATP, have anyone?

And Lleyton should be told that the sport is greater than any individual player. If he wants to leave, quit, play less, so be it, there will always be other new exciting players ready to take his place.

Where is his management (Octagon?) featuring in all this? Do they encourage this whole mess?

Angele
08-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by christinaE
I have not heard of any other players coming out to support Lleyton in his feud with the ATP, have anyone?

And Lleyton should be told that the sport is greater than any individual player. If he wants to leave, quit, play less, so be it, there will always be other new exciting players ready to take his place.

Where is his management (Octagon?) featuring in all this? Do they encourage this whole mess?

No I haven't heard of any players coming out to support Lleyton which doesn't mean that they all adore the ATP! Andre has said that all those required tournaments are basically bull shit and I've read other articles where players have had problems with the ATP... the reason they wouldn't support lleyton publicly even if they agreed with him is because they don't want to be on the bad side of the atp... lleyton is and look what happened? they took away half his prize money!

Octagon are a bunch of idiots! I don't even think they talk to Lleyton at all... anyways their just crap idiots and I can't figure out why Lleyton hasn't ditched them yet!

TennisHack
08-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by angele87
You obviously didn't understand my post...

Go back. Read. Comprehend. It was an angry outburst. I said what I thought at the moment and it wasn't very couth. A thousand apologies.

I thought it was clear from the original post why I think Lleyton can be an asshole. I didn't know I had to spell everything out for you.

But I did, in my last post.

I never said you shouldn't get angry but if you're going to call somebody a f*cking asshole don't be surprised if somebody asks you why, which is exactly what I am doing

Read. Comprehend. My last post, and I quote:

it's just this attitude that if he left tennis, he'd somehow decimate the sport.

THAT'S why I think he can be an asshole.

Jackie
08-19-2002, 11:54 PM
...but he never said he's leaving. He just said that he would focus on ITF tournaments (grand slams and Davis Cup). He said he doesn't care about losing the No.1. Does this mean that he is losing confidence in himself. If he wins a few of them again and picks up the odd point from the lead-up events, he'll have no trouble maintaining the ranking

Angele
08-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Well I don't understand at all TennisHack because how can he have an attitude regarding "if he left tennis" when he's not planning on leaving tennis? He said he wants to play 12-13 tournaments a year instead of 17-18! Perhaps the asshole is Paul McNamee for saying Lleyton might quit and for comparing him to Borg :confused:

Note: I in no way, shape or form think Paul McNamee is an asshole :angel:

Dissident
08-20-2002, 12:00 AM
I just think people are allowed to have an opinion without being pointed out and questioned all the time.
Hewitt is not untouchable. Please, remember that.
It just looks like you people cant tolerate any critic to him at all anymore. So he´s an angel out of nowhere?

Angele
08-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by hitman
I just think people are allowed to have an opinion without being pointed out and questioned all the time.
Hewitt is not untouchable. Please, remember that.
It just looks like you people cant tolerate any critic to him at all anymore. So he´s an angel out of nowhere?

I'll take it you people = me and respond to this! I can handle critism Lleyton's way as long as it's justified! If, imo, it's not justified, I'll question you on it... this thread started out with comments from Paul McNamee yet has turned into the Lleyton is an asshole thread :mad: I don't see why Lleyton wanting to play less qualifies him as being an asshole :confused:

P.S If every single thread about Guga turned into a neagative thread towards Guga you might understand how we feel... and also if people don't want their opinions questioned they don't need to post them on the board... i

Angele
08-20-2002, 12:13 AM
Oh i just thought of this :)

The people who's opinions I'm questioning are questioning Lleyton's opinion so I should be able to question theirs! At least they're here to defend themselves...

Dissident
08-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Oh gosh.
Ok, let me explain.

WHY THE HELL DOES AN OPINION SOMEONE HAS OF A TENNIS PLAYER YOU DONT EVEN KNOW CAN MAKE YOU POST LIKE 986093693478094279842365 POSTS ON HIS DEFENSE???

Thats my point. You shouldnt give a f**k to what people think about your beloved player. Thats THEIR problem. You like him, and he has good points going on for him too. He is a wonderful tennis player, but he has some crap attitudes that make people mad at him. (EXAMPLE to let it very clear: He fists his pump and shouts his war-chant FACING his opponents, INCLUDING when they make a mistake. That is enough to make some people mad).

I LOOOOOOOVE having my opinions questioned. I like the challenge of having to explain my point. So please, dont come with that one coz I aint buying it.

And please, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Let your panties twist when someone offends YOU personally. Then I will agree and I will jump in to HELP YOU.
You can charge me for that. :)

Now please, Hewitt is a great player and a polemic personality, but he is not subject for so many endless threads. Lets move on. Thanks and no hard feelings please. :)

Dissident
08-20-2002, 12:27 AM
Two more things, just for the record.
I offered a hat and you immediately put it in your head. I wasnt talking about you. I was talking about Scott´s reaction to the subject. He was so enphatic that it seemed like someone had called his mother a name. Just that.

And if all Guga threads were ruined with bad comments, I wouldnt read them anymore. Or I would select what to read. Or I would be critical and would weight his actions with GOODS and BADS.
Like I did when I criticized him for not taking part of 2001´s Wimb.
Like I did when he threw his racquet in the chairman´s direction.
Like I did when....
Oh well, not necessary to name all them.

Scotso
08-20-2002, 12:32 AM
1) Lleyton fans aren't the ones starting all these threads.

2) We will defend who we see fit to defend, if that upsets you so much I suggest you go back and play with your legos some more.

Angele
08-20-2002, 12:33 AM
I have no hard feelings against you at all hitman...

Sorry that my defending him bugs you but the amount of crap that lleyton gets bugs me. And it's not so much that I care about what other people thing, it's more that I can't just stand by and watch lleyton get attacked... it's just not my personality!

I LOOOOOOOVE having my opinions questioned. I like the challenge of having to explain my point. So please, dont come with that one coz I aint buying it.

:confused:

Now please, Hewitt is a great player and a polemic personality, but he is not subject for so many endless threads.

*counting the threads I've started* ;) :p

Sonic
08-20-2002, 12:35 AM
half of the threads about him are news articles. doesn't matter who starts those ones.

the number of posts within a thread however is a diferent story.

Scotso
08-20-2002, 12:39 AM
They may be news articles, but the REASON they are posted isn't to share news.

Angele
08-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by GoLleyt
They may be news articles, but the REASON they are posted isn't to share news.

totally agree...

when you start a thread about a player quitting with a thumbs up icon beside it, it's not just to post news!

Dissident
08-20-2002, 01:16 AM
1) Lleyton fans aren't the ones starting all these threads.

2) We will defend who we see fit to defend, if that upsets you so much I suggest you go back and play with your legos some more.

Scott, (the individual, not the group, dont grab the hat and put it in your head if you´re not him) you feel really smart with your new bitching style, isnt it?
To start with, I was not the one attacking the Perfection. Just go there and read my first post. I was actualy saying I didnt believe that was his intention.
I didnt say you were the ones making the threads. Never I did. Never I will. You know why? I dont give a rats a** who started the thread. My point was to say that NO player deserves so much talk about their controversy. THATS MY POINT, IM STICKING TO IT. If you want to defend him as if he was your wife, well, good for you. I will still have my opinion about that, though.

And about the Legos, yes Ill go back there. I have LOADS of fan playing with small pieces made of plastic. Actually, the final product of them is of better quality than discussing this point could ever be.

Scotso
08-20-2002, 01:17 AM
ok bye :wavey:

Angele
08-20-2002, 01:21 AM
ok bye :wavey:

lol

tennischick
08-20-2002, 02:37 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

plus ca change...:o :o :o

i agree with ChristinaE that no player is bigger than the sport. in fact some players can be downright bad for a sport -- like those cricketers who have been caught taking bribes or Tyson bitting off Holyfield's ear -- altho' for some there was a primitive appeal regarding the latter. i don't think hewitt is this bad but he's not been good either. his antagonism towards the media and now towards the ATP, his behavior on court and his outbursts, even his nasty comment when someone asked if Kim was coaching with Jason Stoltenberg -- we're not talking the classiest guy here.

thankfully tennis will endure without him. if he does decide to leave -- altho' i have a hard time imagining him giving up the $$ when he's busy contesting a fine so that he can hold on to more of it...:rolleyes: -- but if he does decide to leave, i for one will not miss him. and i'm sure his diehard fans will follow him into Footy or whatever sport he chooses to pick up. in the end we'll all be happy. :D

this is my OPINION. it is not an attack on any hewitt fan. i am entitled to my OPINION as you are to yours.

Chloe le Bopper
08-20-2002, 03:55 AM
Perhaps every thread about Hewitt wouldn't turn into a flame war, if people didn't get crapped on for saying anything less than "the sun revolves around Hewitts hot ass".

I don't understand why people are so defensive :confused: Ferrero got made fun of back in the Rome tournament for some comments, and I didn't feel some obligation to him, to make sure everyone saw him in the same light I did :confused: ( I bring that up cause he's my favourite, and I'm *trying* to understand wtf is going on by relating to it).

But you can't seem to have a negative opinion of him around here, without being totally crapped on. Yet Andy gets made fun of all the time - so where is everyone when he gets it worse than Hewitt?

I might also add that some of the people jumping so swiftly to Hewitt's defense, are in all the Andy threads to laugh at him :confused:

I give up, does someone want to explain it to me? (I haven't directly insulted anyone atm, so perhaps we should keep it that way?)

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 04:15 AM
I agree:)

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 04:21 AM
with Rebecca

General Announcement to LLeyton Lover Family. If Hewitt is dissed let it go. If you are personally attacked then we all open a can of my (polite) New York whupass.

Static
08-20-2002, 05:19 AM
He's just pissed off right now he'll probably calm down sooner or later, and go back to playing as many tourney's as he did this year.

MS_Goose
08-21-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm not a fan of Lleyton Hewitt, simply because his attitude of not caring a hoot of what others feel just rubs me wrong. :o But I do, however, think it was very unjust of the ATP to fine him so much for such a seemingly trivial and ridiculous thing. Most, if not all, players have a pre-match ritual that most probably, does not include giving interviews, and for them to ask something so demanding of him and then expect him to agree with open arms, is rather naive. However if, and I do say this hypothetically, he decides to end his career over this, then it would be no great loss and will make the men's tour even more exciting than it already is. It just depends on your personal taste and whether you want a dominated tour, or one where bets would ultimately be futile because upsets and surprises are common. :cool:

Jackie
08-21-2002, 03:20 PM
...but Hewitt is right in saying that he has the potential to really screw the ATP. Think about it, if he was to win 2 grand slams next year and have half-decent results in the other two, he would have no trouble maintaining his No.1 ranking. He could then chose to play a minimal number of ATP tournaments (just lead-ups to the Slams and Davis Cup) meaning that the ATP and individual tournaments would lose money because they don't have the No.1 player on the bill.....but personally I don't care as long as he keeps playing Davis Cup (which I'm pretty sure that he will. It seems to be what he lives for)

tennischick
08-21-2002, 03:36 PM
is Hewitt the one the crowds are coming to see? he can only screw the ATP if he is the hottest ticket out there. i think Andre and Pete still attract larger audiences than hewitt. he's not the one selling tickets IMO.

*the above is just an opinion...*

Angele
08-21-2002, 03:41 PM
tc, I'm not sure about the atp at all but I know on the wta the tour has had to pay a certain amount of money to certain tournaments for not having 3 of the top five players or something like that so I think that's what untitled2284 meant :confused: or maybe that's not it at all lol

Sonic
08-21-2002, 08:01 PM
does the atp have to pay the tournaments if top players skip MS events, like the wta has to if 3 of top 20 aren't in tier 3 etc?

whats the minimum number of top 10 wta players supposed to be in a tier 1?

Chloe le Bopper
08-22-2002, 12:00 AM
. i think Andre and Pete still attract larger audiences than hewitt. he's not the one selling tickets IMO.

Any tournament I have ever been two (just the Canadian maters, the past two years) - that opinion of yours TC held true. Agassi didn't even show up this year and people were talking about his 3 days into it. Hewitt lose early, and i'm sure people talked about it (I would have liked to see him myself), but it wasn't as *big* of a deal it didn't seem.

But even if he *could* screw over the ATP, why would someone want to do that? That would be extremely selfish - the people being hurt the most would be the fans.

Mind you HE didn't say he was going to do that, so I won't rant on it any further ;)