Eurovision Song Contest: Semi final and the final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Eurovision Song Contest: Semi final and the final

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Hey all :cool:

Did you watch the ESC yesterday evening? I wonder what you thought of the songs that made it through to the grand finale on Saturday. Here's what I think:

1. Finland / Jari Sillanpää - Takes 2 to tango

One of my favourite songs before the ESC started (I listened to most of the songs beforehand), I was really disappointed by the performance and most of all by the vocal 'qualities' of Jari. I thought I would be disappointed if it wouldn't go through, but I was glad it didn't.

2. Belarus / Alexandra & Konstantin - My Galileo

One word: AWFUL. That's what I thought before the contest started and after too. I heard that a lot of people really liked it, so I feared that it would make it to Saturday, but THANK GOD. What the heck was she singing? Sorry, but this was just very bad.

3. Switzerland / Piero & The MusicStars - Celebrate!

Yes, I'll celebrate. Celebrate that it didn't make it. To think that Piero actually participated in a Pop Idol-like tv program in Switzerland.. He was one of the worst singers out there, who was also hyperactive and really annoying. The backing vocals were OK, but compared to Piero, everything was.

4. Latvia / Fomins & Klein - Dziesma par laimi

I had mixed feelings about this song. I kind of like it, but then again, compared to many other songs, I didn't want it to go through. The performance was a bit odd, with an Ozzy Osbourne look-a-like. Had it been a radio contest, I would have given it a better chance.

5. Israel / David D'Or - Leha'amin

Well, vocally it was kind of strange, but not out of key. Before I saw his performance, I hated the song. One of the worst Israeli entries for years, but then again I usually like the Israelian songs (especially "Ein Davar" - Tal Sondak). I somehow started liking the song a bit, but I cannot say that I'll mind its absence Saturday.

6. Andorra / Marta Roure - Jugarem a estimar-nos

Average. That's all I have to say about it, really. She could've sung it much better than she did, but at least we have our first Catalan song in the ESC.

7. Portugal / Sofia - Foi Magía

This song didn't make it to the final and I probably am the only person here that cares. I really liked her performance, I like the song and she looks HOT :) A great effort by Sofia :worship: , maybe the song is a bit monotonous, but it surely is much better than Bosnia and Herzegovina, for instance.

8. Malta / Julie & Ludwig - On again.. off again

Woo! Of course this song just had to go through, and it will do very well on Saturday. At least, I predict it will. One of my two favourite songs (Denmark is out; now Albania is my other favourite) and yes, I have to admit, I even voted for it. Mind you, I never vote! It's a nice and cheesy song. There's nothing wrong with it :) The first song I was actually singing along with, too.

9. Monaco / Maryön - Notre plančte

It's good to see that "Help the world" songs don't necessarily do well. She looked hideous in that outfit and I don't like the song either. Won't be missed.

10. Greece / Sakis Rouvas - Shake it

My God. It was as if the Gay Pride was broadcast on my TV. That what he was wearing (what was it?!?) really annoyed me and that stripping act with his two female dancers too. They looked better with more clothing one. Of course it was sure to get a lot of votes, but the song was not good. But the effect it has is great; I found myself mumbling the song when going to the toilet :o

11. Ukraine / Ruslana - Wild Dance

One of the favourites to go through to Saturday and I never discovered why. I don't like the song at all. The start is so annoying (HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY) that I wanted to zap away. She looked nice and it was a nice act, but not one that appealed to me.

12. Lithuania / Simona & Linas - What's happened to your love?

It didn't go through and that is a bit of a deception. It's a nice song with a very nice performance. They should've left Linas out and let Simona do it alone, though ;) I never expected it to do very well, but I thought it would've gone through. Blah.

13. Albania / Anjeza Shahini - The Image of You

What a great song! I hadn't really paid attention to it when listening to the songs on my computer, but now I really, really like it :) I am glad to see it again on Saturday, since basically everything about the song and performance is good! Tirana 2005? ;)

14. Cyprus / Lisa Andreas - Stronger every minute

The title is not a paradox. It's just plain false. It's a tacky song, sung by a girl who had some major difficulties with her voice. It sounded very bad and it looked that way too. Why the heck did it receive so many votes?! :(

15. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia / Tose Proeski - Life

The performance was really good. He sang it really well too. So naturally, I was very pleased with this song and probably is in the top 5 of my favourite songs for this year. I am glad that he sings it in English, rather than in Macedonian. Good luck in the final!

16. Slovenia / Platin - Stay forever

The fact that they're getting married today should be enough happiness. They didn't deserve to go through, but it was an OK performance. One that I didn't mind watching, but I didn't mind it when it ended either.

17. Estonia / Neiokőső - Tii

From what I heard, a lot of people thought this was a good song and when it was broadcast I liked it at first. For the first thirty seconds that is. Then, I completely changed my opinion and thought it was quite horrible. That drummer should be sacked. Apparently he has said that the girls can't sing. Well, they did a better job than the song writer or the drummer, who should've banged his head a little bit harder.

18. Croatia / Ivan Mikulic - You are the only one

It seems as if Croatia will never be able to top the "Maria Magdalena" performance. This ballad was OK, but it wasn't in my personal top 10 for the day. Had it been only Western countries voting, he wouldn't have had the chance to perform again.

19. Denmark / Tomas Thordarson - Shame on you

This is the song I played most on my computer. I can sing along with it in Danish and English, and very loudly so. But, I was really disappointed with his voice and I can see why people didn't vote for it. Still, I expected it to make it. The song deserved better.

20. Serbia and Montenegro / Željko Joksimovic - Lane Moje

This is a very beautiful song and probably one of the strongest contenders for the title. It's still growing on me. At first, I totally disliked it, now I think it is nice, though I prefer more uptempo songs. But it is one of the best (not necessarily nicest) entries of this year.

21. Bosnia and Herzegovina / Deen - In the disco

What to say about it? It was so awful, that it was actually funny. A freaky song sung by a freaky guy. The only positive thing I can say is that Deen does good work for charities.

22. The Netherlands / Re-union - Without you

How I feared this song wouldn't make it. It is one of the best songs of this year's contest. It's so beautiful and simple, that I didn't think it stood much of a chance. But it made it! Congratulations and keep up the good work! The performance was unfortunately not as good as in the Dutch contest.

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 07:38 AM
These countries made it to the final:

1. The Netherlands
2. Bosnia and Herzegovina
3. Serbia and Montenegro
4. Albania
5. Cyprus
6. Malta
7. Croatia
8. Ukraine
9. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
10. Greece

These would have been my ten songs:

1. The Netherlands
2. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
3. Albania
4. Serbia and Montenegro
5. Portugal
6. Denmark
7. Lithuania

8. Latvia
9. Slovenia
10. Israel

I don't really care for the last three songs and maybe I should've mentioned Croatia rather than one of those. The top 7 should just suffice.

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 07:39 AM
OOPS

I am too lazy to edit, but I totally forgot Malta. Then bump out Slovenia / Latvia / Israel.

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Yes I saw it, well it was really funny this year.. CooCooCachoo did you also see that the singer of Denmark could be a look a like of Erben Wennemars... still can't beleive that Greece made it.. was not in my list. That was so flat..and well I thought that Bosnia was good fun.. what a good tekst that song had; "kiss me and turn me slow,up and down, here we go!"

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 07:57 AM
IN THE DISCOOOOOOOOOO lol

And the commentator said he had a girlfriend? He looked so gay, lol.. The same goes for the Danish singer, but then again he is gay. I don't think he looks like Wennemars, though.

Well, Greece was going to make it with that 'sexy' performance. I didn't like it at all, but hey, that's what scores you points these days :(

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Oh ok,well I thought he had something from Erben. and yes its really sad that they just choose songs that way.. that Greece song was no good in my ears.. but well it was a great evening full of entertainment.. and well I just found all the songs on the internet.. so you can listen them over and over again... so "clap your hands, we life in a beautiful world"

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I am singing along too lol.. Foi Magiaaaaaaaa lol

I have the songs in a RealPlayer format, but now I am downloading them too.. MP3 :)

What's happened to your love? What's happened to my love? We've been together for so long.. but now the feeling's gone :p

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
ah Letvia.. had some problems with My Galileo.. could not hear that very good what it was all about...but just watched the video clip that is nice...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 09:34 AM
ah Letvia

Actually, it was Lithuania not Latvia ;) Latvia sang in Latvian --> Dziesma par laimi

I couldn't understand the Belarussian song either except from "centre of my life" lol. Terrible song anyway..

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Sorry that was it.. stupid mistake.. I heard Latvia.. could not understand that either.. but well that was because that song was not in English..Same with Sweden, could use some translation there.. what is Lena singing??

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Haven't heard the Swedish song yet, but I think she will sing in English. And she must have a better pronounciation that Belarussian Alexandra ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi guys :wavey:
Lena will sing in English "It hurts" but actually the Swedish version "Det ger ont" was much, much better... Still, she is one of the favourites on Saturday :)

I think Ukraine has a GREAT chance to make it. Bosnia had a big performance last night, even though I didn't like the gay look of Deen. Actually I tipped 9 of 10 songs that made it yesterday. I din't expect Croatia to succeed but then again - so many Former Yugoslavia countries voting ;)
I'd rather see Estonia in the final - not Croatia...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah Deen's look.. Ugh. And he has a girlfriend the commentator said lol.

I hope Malta, Albania or FYM Macedonia wins :) Or The Netherlands of course!

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:04 AM
still can't believe that that guy has a girl..and yes well i hope that the Netherlands win.. it would be great to win after Ding a dong..

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:07 AM
No, I don't think he has a g/f.... no way :p

Netherlands was OK, but the guy in white, on the left was vvveeeery annoying to me. The one on the right made up for that anyway.... But I don't think they'll make the top-10.
I think Ukraine wins, and in the Top-5 we'll see Serbia, Sweden, Belgium (awful) maybe Poland or Romania.

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, don't count on it. Belgium's discohouse has a better chance :S :(

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Well, don't count on it. Belgium's discohouse has a better chance :S :(

Belgium is too cheap... It will be in the top-5 maybe, but not gonna win.... It's Europe - not a continent of the cheapest songs :p

Ukraine has something in it...like Sertab last year...You'll see...

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:12 AM
What do you think about Poland? (my avatar + signature :p)

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
yess I agree Coma, Belgium won't make it. last year they where 2, guess that this was a good result.. and well I have always the feeling that the next year will be crap.. I didn;t hear the Polish song.. will do it later...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Poland's entry is so hideous that I don't listen to it ;)
I have seen Ukraine's performance yesterday and I was not happy with it :p

I think Malta will do well too. I wouldn't mind Serbia and Montenegro winning either.

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
But coocoocachoo, you have to agree that this Dutch song is better as the girl from 2 years ago, that was realy sweet, when she was sitting at the ground to sing that song, she had to go up first.. well after 2 numbers I totaly forgot what she was singing about

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Poland's entry is so hideous that I don't listen to it ;)
I have seen Ukraine's performance yesterday and I was not happy with it :p

I think Malta will do well too. I wouldn't mind Serbia and Montenegro winning either.

For me it was Ukraine, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, other countries...
Ruslana was just outstanding...Impressive. Maybe it's just my Slavic soul and that's why I like it :p

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:18 AM
But don't pay attention to my observations and opinions... lol.. I liked Slovenia's song last year and I can still sing along with it.

ZAPEL MI JE NA NA NA NA NA or HE SANG TO ME NA NA NA NA NA (OK the lyrics are not that hard lol)

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:19 AM
But coocoocachoo, you have to agree that this Dutch song is better as the girl from 2 years ago, that was realy sweet, when she was sitting at the ground to sing that song, she had to go up first.. well after 2 numbers I totaly forgot what she was singing about

"I can fly over mountains, over seas???".... Yes, that was not good, actually....

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Maybe, COMA.. I just didn't like the song. The HEY HEY HEY HEY really bored me and I wanted to zap.

I am now in love with the Macedonian song lol

LIFE IS A BOOK AND YOU'VE GOT TO READ IT
LIFE IS A STORY AND YOU'VE GOT TO TELL IT
LIFE IS A SONG AND YOU'VE GOT TO SING IT
YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW HOW TO LIVE IT :D

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:21 AM

I have no bad words about this year's song. I really like it, but I don't see it winning. I actually voted for it in the Dutch final.

Oh that year with Michelle's Out on my own.. Horrible. That was the year that The Netherlands could've won and should've won with Ebonique (So much love). The next year, Ebonique tried again with Heatwave but that was no good.

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Maybe, COMA.. I just didn't like the song. The HEY HEY HEY HEY really bored me and I wanted to zap.

I am now in love with the Macedonian song lol

LIFE IS A BOOK AND YOU'VE GOT TO READ IT
LIFE IS A STORY AND YOU'VE GOT TO TELL IT
LIFE IS A SONG AND YOU'VE GOT TO SING IT
YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW HOW TO LIVE IT :D

I liked the song as mp3 but his outfit was hideous yesterday... he should have gone for something more...standard... like the guy from Serbia.... That was cool...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:26 AM
I liked the song as mp3 but his outfit was hideous yesterday... he should have gone for something more...standard... like the guy from Serbia.... That was cool...

Really? I actually really liked it. Made him stand out a bit.

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:26 AM
yes that outfit was not so good!

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:27 AM
You make my days and nights go hazy. You make me feel the image of you! That's also a good song ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Really? I actually really liked it. Made him stand out a bit.

For me it was kitch.... Serbian outfit was also intended as.... ethnic but it looked really cool...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:28 AM
So, what is your top 10 for this year (including your own country)?

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Did you guys listen to the finalist of this year already? Any opinions?

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:30 AM
what song was that.. I forgot

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:32 AM
well I listen to Sweden.,. but well could not hear anyhing normal.. and I heard Germany.. I think that is to romantic for this occasion

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:32 AM
My top 10:

1. Malta / Julie & Ludwig - On again.. off again
2. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia / Tose Proeski - Life
3. Albania / Anjeza Shahini - The image of you
4. The Netherlands / Re-union - Without you
5. Serbia and Montenegro / Zeljko Joksimovic & The Ad Hoc Orchestra - Lane Moje
6. Portugal / Sofía - Foi magia
7. Lithuania / Linas & Simona - What happened to your love?
8. Spain / Ramon - Para llenarme de ti
9. Denmark / Tomas Thordarson - Shame on you (Would've been much higher if it hadn't been for yesterday's performance)
10. Sweden / Lena Philipsson - It hurts (Just heard it, it's ok.. Typically Swedish)

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow 8 of my favourite 10 songs are from the semi final lol. I really really really don't like the Swiss entry. Wonder how it got 0 pts ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:35 AM
1.Ukraine
2.Serbia & Montenegro
3.Sweden
4.France
5.Poland
6.Romania
7.Turkey
8.Macedonia
9.Albania
10.Norway

I also like Bosnia, Malta, NL, Cyprus.... I guess everything will depend on Saturday's performance...

The bottom of the contest:
-UK
-Ireland
-Austria
-Croatia

bovenbuuf
05-13-2004, 11:37 AM
well sorry I can't give my top 10 for now, did only here the SF.. want a little bit of surprise at saturday..otherwise the evening is to long...

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:39 AM
well sorry I can't give my top 10 for now, did only here the SF.. want a little bit of surprise at saturday..otherwise the evening is to long...

I think the level of the final songs is much higher.... 50% of the semis was just so crappy....Switzerland, Belarus, Monaco, Andorra....etc.

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:41 AM
CooCoo, do you really think Polish song is hideous???

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Well, Andorra wasn't even THAT bad. I was just really disappointed with the performances of Denmark and Finland, of which I had expected a lot. They were in my Top 5 of fav. songs before the start.

The bottom of the contest:
-UK
-Ireland
-Austria
-Croatia

At least we agree on that ;) Though Poland should be there too. Are you going to the final COMA? As you are in Istanbul ;) Or is that a joke haha

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:43 AM
I do, actually. But I didn't like the Belgian song either last year, so.. (Nor the Polish or Austrian songs)

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, Andorra wasn't even THAT bad. I was just really disappointed with the performances of Denmark and Finland, of which I had expected a lot. They were in my Top 5 of fav. songs before the start.

At least we agree on that ;) Though Poland should be there too. Are you going to the final COMA? As you are in Istanbul ;) Or is that a joke haha

No, I'm not in Turkey... I just changed my location and avatar and signature because of the contest :p Some promotion for Polish entry :)

I'll go next year to Kiev, Ukraine :p

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:44 AM
COMA do you have MSN?

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I'll go next year to Kiev, Ukraine

Skopje, Macedonia you mean?
Or Valletta, Malta?
Or Amsterdam, The Netherlands?
Or Tirana, Albania? :D

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I do, actually. But I didn't like the Belgian song either last year, so.. (Nor the Polish or Austrian songs)

I didn't like Sanomi either...nor the Polish entry.... I guess if Blue Cafe had won last year the Polish contest, we could have won ESC with "You may be in love"... That was just cool...

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Right. Lol ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Skopje, Macedonia you mean?
Or Valletta, Malta?
Or Amsterdam, The Netherlands?
Or Tirana, Albania? :D

Warsaw 2005, Eurovision Song Contest - TORWAR

http://www.torwar.pl/torwar.jpg

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Right. Lol ;)

Did you hear "you may be in love" ? If not, download it... it really is :yeah: unlike this year's entry :tape:

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Nah, no need to :p You should download "So much love" by Ebonique.

COMA
05-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Nah, no need to :p You should download "So much love" by Ebonique.

I will :)

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Hehe if you can find it somewhere ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Hehe if you can find it somewhere ;)

trying with Kazaa :)

soon I'll find it :D

HybridTheory
05-13-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm happy for the Netherlands, it's a really nice song i think:)

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 12:39 PM
COMA.. I don't have Kazaa :p

Good Hybrid :) It's a pity we can't vote for it ;)

Snoopy_Girl
05-13-2004, 12:40 PM
At first I thought the Dutch song was, well.. good, but not one of the bigger songs. But now after hearing what the other semifinalists produced.. aaarghh, I'm glad we didn't send in a poppy, bang bang, we like bass kinda song. If we weren't such an unpopular country with very not-so-loyal neighbour countries ;) we would actually have a chance of ending high this year... Certainly looking at what the other countries sent in. There were only a few nicer ones and the rest was just total crap! :( We made agood choice with this song, but I'm sure we're gonna end at number 20 again anyway. (Mostly just because we aren;t surrounded by countries like France and Spain and stuff, who vote for eachother all the time IMO)... Aah well.. it's a nice show anyway, even though if it's just to criticize all the outfits and the songs and the artists themselves :p

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
We should be a Balkan country too! Oh how we would win the ESC :p

COMA
05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
COMA.. I don't have Kazaa :p

How come you don't have Kazaa?? It's the best p2p!!! :p

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 12:49 PM
well.. I want to be uhm.. unique ;)

COMA
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM
well.. I want to be uhm.. unique ;)

LOL ;)
It's not practical anyway, not to have Kazaa :p

HybridTheory
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM

:wavey:
yeah..indeed:p

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Who wants to be practical? :p

COMA
05-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Anyway, I fear that both Polish and Dutch will finish very low :sad:

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
I do too. BTW Coma what is your fav ESC song ever?

COMA
05-13-2004, 01:35 PM
I do too. BTW Coma what is your fav ESC song ever?

It's hard to chose... Maybe "The Voice" (Ireland'96), "Maria Magdalena" (Croatia'99), "Love shine a light" (UK'97)
I liked the Dutch entry 1996 "De eerste keer" :yeah:

COMA
05-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Here are the odds set by William Hill:

9-4 Greece
7-2 Ukraine
6-1 Cyprus
8-1 Sweden
10-1 Belgium
11-1 Serbia
14-1 Germany
14-1 Malta
16-1 Ireland
20-1 Bosnia
20-1 Russia
20-1 Albania
20-1 Turkey
25-1 Iceland
25-1 United Kingdom
33-1 Netherlands
33-1 Spain
40-1 Poland
50-1 Romania
50-1 Norway
50-1 Macedonia
50-1 France
66-1 Croatia
100-1 Austria

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 01:53 PM
It's hard to chose... Maybe "The Voice" (Ireland'96), "Maria Magdalena" (Croatia'99), "Love shine a light" (UK'97)
I liked the Dutch entry 1996 "De eerste keer

OMG Katrina and the Waves? You've got to be kidding me ;) Maria Magdalena was nice. My favourite is "This time I mean it" by Michael Teschl and Trine Jepsen. Dunno if you remember it. I think it was 1996 too.

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
That bookmaker is so wrong.. Greece will never win.

COMA
05-13-2004, 01:57 PM
OMG Katrina and the Waves? You've got to be kidding me ;) Maria Magdalena was nice. My favourite is "This time I mean it" by Michael Teschl and Trine Jepsen. Dunno if you remember it. I think it was 1996 too.

I remember "This time I mean it" from Denmark, it was Jerusalem 1999. I didn't like that much, however.

COMA
05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
That bookmaker is so wrong.. Greece will never win.

I just hope you are right! I hate that song but yesterday despite this, I found it a bit catchy :smash:

CooCooCachoo
05-13-2004, 02:12 PM
1999.. Yeah that's better than 1996. Didn't watch back then!

Yeah, Greece is VERY catchy. I hate how catchy it is.

Mrs. B
05-13-2004, 06:55 PM
no point for switzerland! :(

didn't see it but have heard the song, which is actually nothing special, but getting zilch punkt is just a real downer. poor Piero (the singer) shaved his head afterwards!

:sad:

i like the German entry. they play it on radio here.

Conan the Librarian
05-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Conan may watch this as it's fun to see Terry Wogan get drunk and mock all the contestants/presenters.

It is also ridiculous and amusing to see the same countries give each other 12 points every damn year.

denim
05-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I think the scoring part is the best bit, thats when i put it on ! lol

Hispanica
05-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Yeah exactly... but then it's bad when you hear... belgium one point... and that's all you get.... that was 2 or 3 years ago and tha generous country was Macedonia hahaha

CooCooCachoo
05-14-2004, 07:26 AM
didn't see it but have heard the song, which is actually nothing special, but getting zilch punkt is just a real downer. poor Piero (the singer) shaved his head afterwards!

You should've seen it. So out of key.. He seemed really hyperactive. He annoyed me ;)

The German song is indeed kind of nice, but it's just not my style and I don't think it will be awarded with a lot of points either.

I am now officially a Tose Proeski fan. Skopje 2005! :)

Mrs. B
05-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Piero is not a bad guy, and when he participated in the Swiss search for Music Star he really had some good songs which showed the quality of his voice. He was interviewed on radio today and he seems to take it with a grain of salt. In fact they're staying around Istanbul to watch the whole program.

Guess i'll watch it with my mom, bro & sis-in-law on tv tomorrow. a real European entertainment show for them! ;)

CooCooCachoo
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Well.. I am sure he sang better than he did on Wednesday ;)

Have fun! I will be watching too, lol

COMA
05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I think the scoring part is the best bit, thats when i put it on ! lol

LOL, yes....

And the 12 points from Cyprus go to........ Greece *sigh of surprise in the hall*

COMA
05-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Tatiana from Poland, during the dress rehearsal :hearts:

http://eurovision.tv/images/imagegallery/07_14th_dress_35.jpg

According to Greek ESC website's officials: (Oikotimes.com) "Poland made clear to everyone that they will fight hard for a good ranking in tomorrow's final"

Bilbo
05-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Germany will make it this year. Watch out.

CooCooCachoo
05-15-2004, 05:14 AM
COMA.. I listened to most of the songs again and I don't think the Polish entry is hideous now.. It doesn't rank amongst my favourites either, though ;) A new personal favourite is the French song, which is just really good! Looking forward to tonight :) But first.. Work :o :(

COMA
05-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Some more pics from Polish rehearsal....

Tatiana is just :hearts:

http://eurowizja.com/data/news/716b.jpg

COMA
05-15-2004, 12:11 PM
http://www.esctoday.com/images/2004/final_dr1_IMG_1023_0.JPG

Sparkz
05-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Good luck to james fox (united kingdom) in tonights final :worship:

CooCooCachoo
05-15-2004, 04:46 PM
lol COMA is in love ;)

I am now kind of hoping France will win, or Macedonia or Malta.. :)

COMA
05-15-2004, 04:48 PM
lol COMA is in love ;)

I am now kind of hoping France will win, or Macedonia or Malta.. :)

Well, not really :p but I do think she is a hottie :)
See yourself tonight :)

I guess there is no way Ukraine wouldn't win...

CooCooCachoo
05-15-2004, 04:51 PM
What do you think of the French song, COMA? I love the song actually. Didn't think much of it at first, but the lyrics are great and I hope he sings as well live as he does on CD lol ;)

User ID 4783
05-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Germany will make it this year. Watch out.

Yeah. This time we've got a really good entry!

Sparkz
05-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Germany please give united kingdom good marks and we will do same for you.

And France please give us more than 0 points.

Neely
05-15-2004, 09:37 PM
the German voting was as always a hell of a big joke... no points for Austria, they give us 10 (or 12? I don't remember anymore?! and we give nothing back... :rolleyes:

no single point to Austria, all North Germans and East Germans who didn't call for Austria should be ashamed of themselves, they have no sense for Austria :mad: ... what a joke, in whole Germany not enough calls that one points goes to Austria... shame on you! :banghead:

and finally, as always, 12 points to Turkey. No matter what song Turkey has, no matter if it is good or not, these 12 points go to Turkey because Turkish people are the largest foreign population in Germany. A sure thing, A "LOCK"!

thanks France, 7 points! WOW! :woohoo: :bounce:

denim
05-15-2004, 09:40 PM
another fine example this year of how internal politics dominate the scoreboard lol

Neely
05-15-2004, 09:43 PM
another fine example this year of how internal politics dominate the scoreboard lol
did I miss anything in particular that I can't follow you at this moment? :confused:

denim
05-15-2004, 09:51 PM
well all the countries that dont like u.k...too many to mention ..is contributing to the measly 22 points so far lol

Neely
05-15-2004, 10:21 PM
@denim
exactly, yes! I understand what you mean now... just was confused by the "internal politics", because I was estimating more the word "international politics".

somehow I've got the feeling that a country, no matter how good its song is, has just no chance to win the contest, because either if it has bad geographical placemant (not enough "neighbors" or "alied" countries) or if it is an international problem of any kind (politics, currently bad reputations, bad news etc.) What a joke... :banghead:

Neely
05-15-2004, 10:26 PM
BTW, I really think that Ukraine is a deserved winner, after seeing/hearing tonight all performances it was also among my top favs.

but I think that the moderators who hosted the contest could have been better, didn't like them (especially the man was a "clown") for such an event could have been better. But just my opinion here :rolleyes:

denim
05-15-2004, 10:27 PM
the mock voting with eastern block countries giving eachother maximum points ruined it, theres actually some good songs but the voting makes a mockery of the contest.

What I meant by internal is countries voting for countries that directly affect there own country like tourism figures and any chance of france voting for uk was diminished when tony blair fell out with the french PM lol

Hispanica
05-15-2004, 10:28 PM
so what are the results??? stuck in Canada, i don't know anything about it this year...

denim
05-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Ukraine won nat

Neely
05-15-2004, 10:32 PM
so what are the results??? stuck in Canada, i don't know anything about it this year...
go to the official page and you can see it all yourself! Ukraine won!

www.eurovision.tv

Hispanica
05-15-2004, 10:32 PM
thanks hun... and what about Belgium and the top 5???

denim
05-15-2004, 10:34 PM
well belgium finished with less than ten....uk finished just under 30 points and turkey and serbia and montenegro pushed ukraine all the way and they were all well over 100 pts.

Hispanica
05-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks again... I just checked the scoreboard... Belgium humiliated once again... was the song that terrible???

kartveteran
05-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Yeah right...

Votes from Slovenia:
1. S&M
2. Bosnia-Herzegovina
4. Macedonia
5. Croatia

Those 4 countries also heavily voted for eachother.

And almost all eastern block countries only voted for other eastern block countries.

Top 5: all 5 eastern block countries
Bottom 5: all 5 countries from North-west Europe.

Makes it really pointless to have a contest like this. :(

Neely
05-15-2004, 10:40 PM
@denim
oh, didn't know that with Tony Blair and the French PM

I didn't like the song from Germany too much, at least it was not a deserved 8th place, maybe between 10 and 14 somewhere...

the huge majority of all the points Germany got can be easily explained:

Austria 10 points: because they can watch the TV show of Stefan Raab and he popular there as well
Switzerland 10 points: see above ---> both countries don't call for Germany because the song is good, just because they know Max from Stafan Raab's
Spain 12 points: because there are TONS of Germans on Mallorca ---> what a joke!
France 7 points: Stefan Raab or Max addicts go over the borderline and call
Poland 6 points: neighbor country, many Germans in Poland and vice-versa
Monaco 7 points: no surprise, lots (rich) Germans live Monaco, maybe some tourists are also good enough for 7 points in such a little country.

and so on...

Frooty_Bazooty
05-15-2004, 11:17 PM
guys you can moan all you want about block voting but the cream always rises to the top and the best song won. Ive just downloaded it and its great :yeah:

Ireland has a huge competition where people from all over the country apply to be the eurovision entry and then there is a 13 week show where they choose who will do it and the guy who won came 2nd last :haha:

my favourite bits were when the Swedish guy said "i love eurovision so much that it hurts..." and also that freaky woman who won last year who got her shoe stuck in the grating and couldnt move and also when the winners were taking ages to come onto the stage and the presenters were running out of things to say

the whole thing was just :haha:

Neely
05-15-2004, 11:27 PM
and also that freaky woman who won last year who got her shoe stuck in the grating and couldnt move
yes, I noticed that as well, but I hate such women, also I'm a strict denier of comparable shoe fashion :banghead: ... if you decide to wear such shoes with heels, maybe you should be also clever enough to be finally able to walk in them :mad: tztzt :zzz:
there are not many things I hate as much as that :o

LOL that thing as the winners needed endless time to come on the stage was just hilarious :haha: :rolls:

:yeah:

Frooty_Bazooty
05-15-2004, 11:54 PM
i loved the way the presenters explained what would happen in english and then french and then turkish and then english again to try and use up time :lol:

scoobydoo
05-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Well I must say I was VERY dissapointed, you see my friend talks with a lisp and told me to tune into the eurovision thong contest and there i was expecting to see lots of lush bums and all i got was cheesey music !!!i

CooCooCachoo
05-16-2004, 08:55 AM
the mock voting with eastern block countries giving eachother maximum points ruined it, theres actually some good songs but the voting makes a mockery of the contest.

I really agree on that. There is no way Croatia would've gotten that many points, had it only been Western European countries voting. Though I must say I was a bit disappointed with the amount of points FYM Macedonia received, as it is one of my favourite songs ;) I hate the Russian and Eastern European voting procedure. If it would be just the UK and Ireland giving each other points, then it's ok. That is just one vote (or two), but the entire Balkan, and all the Baltic states, supporting each other by giving the Ukraine and Russia and Serbia and Montenegro that many points is ridiculous.

Here is what I think of the artists and their results:

1. Ukraine

I just dislike the song. Come on woman, learn to speak English (both in singing and when being interviewed). Would've loved it if she had ruined the stage once more. It's a very poor song, if you leave out the show. And I don't even like the show. Frooty, this is not the best SONG (you may think it's the best performance, but not the best song.. no way) and it shouldn't have been the winning song.

2. Serbia and Montenegro

A good song. I kind of like it and it received a lot of points from all countries. But a #2 spot? No way. But I'd have preferred Belgrade over Kiev, of course.

3. Greece

Do I even need to go here? Horrible song, horrible sleazy performance. A bad and arrogant singer. That song relies solely on the sex part and on how frigging catchy that song is. It's so catchy, that it becomes annoying.

4. Turkey

Out of the top 4, this is undoubtedly my least favourite and it could well have ended last. I hated it and I actually zapped away (the only performance where I did so). I couldn't believe it when I heard it received so many points. For real(?!) would be a good term to use.

5. Cyprus

Thank God she did better than Wednesday. She sang it well, though I think the song is a bit too simple to be a good ballad. I think that her position is pretty much justified, though.

6. Sweden

It hurts, really hurts to see that Sweden can be so unoriginal every year and still get the same results. But vocally it was good and her performance was nice too (can see why she was voted Sweden's sexiest woman years ago ;)), but it was so plain. That doesn't mean I don't like to listen to the song though :p

7. Albania

The highest ranked of my favourite songs. I missed the interaction she had with her backings on Wednesday. There was some chemistry missing yesterday. But a good song and to make a début like this is definitely a good start.

8. Germany

This song was, IMO, too good for the ESC. Not that it was one of my fav songs, as it is not my style, but he did really well (until the end). One of the better and more emotional performances of the evening, for sure.

9. Bosnia and Herzegovina

Some good advice for The Netherlands: don't send a song which is sang really well and has quality, just send in lame disco pop (had he sung the song barechested again, he would probably have done even better. Europe likes tacky shows, I guess.. :() that is totally out of key. Horrible performance. The only good thing about it is a small part of the melody.

10. Spain

Quite a good show by Ramon, although I do think Spain did better with David Civera and even Beth. Nothing special this song.

11. Russia

How did this get so high? Must've had neighbours supporting it?! Right.. And Russia should be fortunate to have so many neighbouring countries too. This was probably the worst song and the worst performance of the ESC 2004. Even the Belarussian entry was better, if not even the Swiss. It was painful to listen to her 'singing'.

12. Malta

Ended lower than expected. The 2nd of my fav songs and I really anticipated a top 5 finish. A catchy song, which may have been too cheesy (but hey, that's Malta). A sympathetic performance.

13. Croatia

Really, really plain this song. Almost all of the 50 points received came from supportive Balkan countries. Enough said.

14. FYR of Macedonia

This was #1 or #2 on my list (the position changed continuously ;)) and I don't see how Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia and Croatia, also heavily relying on political voting, got more points than this. Tose can actually sing and the performance was good!

15. France

This is the song with which Macedonia was trading places. At this moment, I probably like France more. The lyrics are good and he sang it well (although I was a bit scared after the start.. ;)). I really like it, but I think I am the only one :p Don't think his image fit the song though.

The rest basically is not worth mentioning extensively. Norway ended last but was better than Russia, Bosnia, Ireland, UK, Belgium, Turkey, Iceland, Romania etc... Disappointing number of points for Belgium, which I expected to do well. Not that I mind the fact that we're not going to Brussels next year, because the song was too much Eurohouse. But Kiev 2005... I can already see a crappy stage and especially, a crappy connection.

User ID 4783
05-16-2004, 09:51 AM
You're right, CooCoo... I agree, Ukraine shouldn't have been the winner, when I saw the performance I thought "No this song won't ever win" but then we got the proof that shaking your ass is more important than singing at the ESC :sad:
If our German entrant had danced, we would have won :lol:
I liked the song from Cyprus

CooCooCachoo
05-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Well.. the Serbian singer didn't shake.. I think next year the Dutch entry needs to be surrounded by nude Balkan dancers and the singer herself or himself should be Scandinavian, but having studied in Britain and singing the song partly in Spanish and French. If we don't win then.. I don't know!

Snoopy_Girl
05-16-2004, 05:55 PM
I think next year The Netherlands need to not be in this contest. Just make a statement... Unless we move our whole country and put it somewhere in the middle of the balkan. It's all about who has the most loyal neighbourcountries anyway :(. Not that I thought Holland should've won, not at all, but 20th.. hmzz, no, that was way too low! And the winning song is also totally not my thing.

Aurora
05-16-2004, 05:59 PM
:haha: good one, Martijn!

Some people are talking in here as if this is a serious show... Come on, that dude of Greece and other stuff :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. But I had loads of fun watching it with a bunch of friends and lots of food, making fun of all the kitsch! I did think Belgium would have ended higher. And 36 voting countries is really too much, so bleeping boring! They should only let the finalist countries vote imo. :wavey:

lieve
05-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I liked the dutch commentators, they were really funny :)

CooCooCachoo
05-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah there were too many countries voting. I want a jury back too ;)

I think next year The Netherlands need to not be in this contest. Just make a statement... Unless we move our whole country and put it somewhere in the middle of the balkan. It's all about who has the most loyal neighbourcountries anyway . Not that I thought Holland should've won, not at all, but 20th.. hmzz, no, that was way too low! And the winning song is also totally not my thing.

It was too low. Maybe we should split the country in 12 separate countries?! I am sure we'd win! :p

CooCooCachoo
05-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I liked the dutch commentators, they were really funny

They are supposed to have knowledge on the subject, but they made mistake after mistake. It was really quite pathetic. And then going on about the voting.. I could've done a better job ;) It's a miracle I didn't switch to the BBC!

lieve
05-16-2004, 06:18 PM
They are supposed to have knowledge on the subject, but they made mistake after mistake. It was really quite pathetic. And then going on about the voting.. I could've done a better job ;) It's a miracle I didn't switch to the BBC!

No, they didin't have knowledge of the subject. But it was just really funny. Usually, I think they are too serious.

Snoopy_Girl
05-16-2004, 06:24 PM
But they sounded like vicious bitches, bitching on every act that wasn't Dutch, which was really funny! :D :bounce:

Neely
05-16-2004, 06:53 PM
1. Ukraine

I just dislike the song. Come on woman, learn to speak English (both in singing and when being interviewed). Would've loved it if she had ruined the stage once more. It's a very poor song, if you leave out the show. And I don't even like the show. Frooty, this is not the best SONG (you may think it's the best performance, but not the best song.. no way) and it shouldn't have been the winning song.

I couldn't agree with you more on the part that this woman really should have learnt to talk at least some words in English... I disliked that as well... but for me it was really the best, at least one of the best three songs of this evening. Good performance, good show, good song, made a good spirit! :)

Ma. Estefania
05-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm not European but I watched the show last afternoon.....and well, honestly the performances of most part of the countries were pretty pretty bad, ex: Russia (the woman finished all painted :o ) and Turkey (*sighs* no comments)....can't imagine something terrible than that yet....and Ukraine isn't that far from this either.

My fave song was Cyprus one.

Frooty_Bazooty
05-16-2004, 09:48 PM
The Greek guy was SO hot :drool: and the song was really good, it deserved to finihs os high

Martijn, i totally disagree with you, the Bosnia and Herzegovinian and Ukrainian entries were awesome. Bosnia should have finished way higher and im really glad Ukraine won, it was by far the best song

I agree with you though that Turkeys song did not deserve to finish that high at all and when the singer kept on saying "peace!" and "love!" i was just wanted to punch him. Who the hell says Peace! and Love! nowadays, thats so 1993.

denim
05-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Norway finishing bottom...this would never have happened in the days of AHA.

CooCooCachoo
05-17-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm not European but I watched the show last afternoon.....and well, honestly the performances of most part of the countries were pretty pretty bad, ex: Russia (the woman finished all painted ) and Turkey (*sighs* no comments)....can't imagine something terrible than that yet....and Ukraine isn't that far from this either.

Yeah, and all of those songs ended in the top half. Two even in the top four or five. Ridiculous.

The Greek guy was SO hot and the song was really good, it deserved to finihs os high

Martijn, i totally disagree with you, the Bosnia and Herzegovinian and Ukrainian entries were awesome. Bosnia should have finished way higher and im really glad Ukraine won, it was by far the best song

Frooty.. from where you are standing I understand you liked the Greek song ;) Yes, he was good looking, but musically that song was rubbish. And the Bosnian song was kind of funny, but really pathetic too. The countries that made an effort to arrange something of musical quality, weren't rewarded for that. There is no way that 4 of the 5 songs in the top 5 were better than the Dutch song, from a musical angle rather than an entertainment angle.

Action Jackson
05-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Ah! the greatest cultural event in Europe, the Eurovision song contest.

I am sorry I can't take this contest seriously, then again I haven't for years. Well at least the Ukrainan one had a good outfit, though these guys in their white suits need to be outlawed there are too many of them.

Did I like any of the songs, nah not really, then again I hardly ever do. At least the Turkish one was different from the usual Turkish entries.

:worship: :worship: Alf Poier come back and give this contest what it really needs.

CooCooCachoo
05-17-2004, 08:27 AM
:p at GWH ;)

Smankyou
05-17-2004, 08:29 AM
There's too much politics involved... voting for your neighbours and what not.

The Greek guy was SO hot :drool:
Agreed.

Snoopy_Girl
05-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Agreed.*Agrees too* :) Although the shirt he wore was soooooo wrong! :p

CooCooCachoo
05-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Although the shirt he wore was soooooo wrong

Ugh.. That shirt :o

Peta Pan
06-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Ok, I'm a little late with my post but I missed this one before.

We see the ESC in Australia too (albeit a day later) and I have been addicted to it for years and I have the CD for the last 4 years. I just wanted to share my favourites from this year's contest (including the ones that missed from the semi).

1. Ukraine
2. Malta
3. Andorra (my Mum and me both love it and were disappointed it didn't make the final)
4. Croatia
5. Greece (also agree that Sakis is hot - but it isn't the reason it made my top 5 :p)
6. Denmark
7. F.Y.R. Macedonia
8. Sweden
9. Russia (it sounds a lot better on the CD)
10. Spain

The worst 2 by far were Bosnia and Switzerland (we have a band that sings songs for little kids called Hi-5 here in Australia and they could almost sue for plagerism :p)

:)Peta

CooCooCachoo
06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Hehe PJ girl.. Quite late :p

But I must admit, I still listen to the songs :o ;) Russia DOES sound better on the CD, though it remains a poor song. I started to like Andorra though.. Actually started liking the Greek song too. I hate the Estonian song!

Frooty_Bazooty
06-06-2004, 09:22 AM
No, that shirt was SO right cos it hardly covered up his body at all

The only songs from eurovision that i still listen to on my Ipod are Greece, Ukraine and Bosnia so i think that they were the best three